Should I Play With This Racquet? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Should I Play With This Racquet?

Chloe le Bopper
03-12-2005, 07:14 PM
I could not come up with a better title.

Here is the deal: in 2001 I won a tennis racquet off of tennisweek for picking the ladies USO semis-finals-winner just slightly better than another poster, who came in second. It was *this* close.

Now, it's a Volkl, although I don't remember the specifications on it. It's not actually here, it's at home in a "safe spot".

The catch is that it's signed by Becker and McEnroe, and I've never taken it out of the wrapping. But it's soooo much better than the racquet I'm using now and I'm not an autograph hunter anyways. I can't imagine it would be worth anything :shrug:

So, what would YOU do? Bust it open or just buy another racquet and keep saving it in a safe spot?

CooCooCachoo
03-12-2005, 07:16 PM
I would not even think of using it. If you don't care about it, sell it on Ebay. You will probably get quite some good money for it and then you can buy a better racquet than the Völkl one, plus someone will actually appreciate the racquet.

El Legenda
03-12-2005, 07:17 PM
I say you give it to me..ill sell it on Ebay and buy you knew one.

Guille_ElMago
03-12-2005, 07:17 PM
I would save it and buy another racquet. If you post your style of game and level, I and other posters could probably help you out in finding the right racquet for you.

Chloe le Bopper
03-12-2005, 07:20 PM
I would not even think of using it. If you don't care about it, sell it on Ebay. You will probably get quite some good money for it and then you can buy a better racquet than the Völkl one, plus someone will actually appreciate the racquet.
It's not that I don't appreciate it :p If I didn't appreciate it I wouldn't even be asking the question and I wouldn't have kept it wrapped up for almost 4 years ;) I'm sort of hesitant to sell. I don't win things very often :angel:

Regardless, point taken.

Chloe le Bopper
03-12-2005, 07:21 PM
I would save it and buy another racquet. If you post your style of game and level, I and other posters could probably help you out in finding the right racquet for you.
I'm more or less a beginner. Good backhand (for a beginner), weaker off the forehand but it's not death, and totally MEH at the net. I try to go to net anyways though, because it confuses the people I play against :p I'm strong compared to the people that I play against, so I hit most of my balls deep, as opposed to the people I play against who hit them about midcourt. In fact, I tend to overhit :shrug:

I haven't played enough to really have established a particulat game type :sad:

CooCooCachoo
03-12-2005, 07:24 PM
It's not that I don't appreciate it :p If I didn't appreciate it I wouldn't even be asking the question and I wouldn't have kept it wrapped up for almost 4 years ;) I'm sort of hesitant to sell. I don't win things very often :angel:

Regardless, point taken.

No, you know what I mean. You don't appreciate is as an autograph hunter ;) Trust me, some autograph hunters would pay big big money for that. Then you buy a nice a racquet and you have money left to uhm.. buy me a drink :angel:

Chloe le Bopper
03-12-2005, 07:26 PM
No, you know what I mean. You don't appreciate is as an autograph hunter ;) Trust me, some autograph hunters would pay big big money for that. Then you buy a nice a racquet and you have money left to uhm.. buy me a drink :angel:
It's not ... "certified" though. All I have is the original mail from tennisweek that tells me what it is and what is on it. I suppose that might be good enough.

Still.. I don't want to sell it. I convinced myself that if either of them kicked the bucket it would go up 5 dollars in value ;)

CooCooCachoo
03-12-2005, 07:29 PM
True. Then you can buy me two drinks.

Guille_ElMago
03-12-2005, 07:31 PM
I'm more or less a beginner. Good backhand (for a beginner), weaker off the forehand but it's not death, and totally MEH at the net. I try to go to net anyways though, because it confuses the people I play against :p I'm strong compared to the people that I play against, so I hit most of my balls deep, as opposed to the people I play against who hit them about midcourt. In fact, I tend to overhit :shrug:

How much would you plan on spending on a new racquet?

Chloe le Bopper
03-12-2005, 07:33 PM
How much would you plan on spending on a new racquet?
Well, I have a summer job already, a place to live, and enough money to cover rent all summer sitting in the bank just waiting to be signed over (wise saving, that). So money isn't a huge issue. Obviously I'm not good enough to warrant spending 250 dollars on a racquet, but either than that I don't really care. I want to get something that is "good" that will last for a long time. If that means spending more, I don't mind doing it.

Chloe le Bopper
03-12-2005, 07:33 PM
True. Then you can buy me two drinks.
Two! Greedy.

joeb_uk
03-12-2005, 07:34 PM
An autographed racket by those players could reach hundreds of $ no question

Chloe le Bopper
03-12-2005, 07:35 PM
An autographed racket by those players could reach hundreds of $ no question
Well the racquet itself was worth about 200 bucks... but that was 4 years ago. I'm sure that it's original retail value has fell a bit.

If I ever can't afford to eat I'll be sure to sell it :p

(but I've scanned ebay before, and really don't think i could get that much for it :shrug:)

aceit
03-12-2005, 07:38 PM
Save it or sell it if you must. Definetly don't use it!

Like people said, you can ebay it and get enough money to buy a new,better racquet.

joeb_uk
03-12-2005, 07:40 PM
Well the racquet itself was worth about 200 bucks... but that was 4 years ago. I'm sure that it's original retail value has fell a bit.

If I ever can't afford to eat I'll be sure to sell it :p

(but I've scanned ebay before, and really don't think i could get that much for it :shrug:)
Well its not exactly like its a shitty racket, so with the value of the racket and the autographs i think you have a nice item! you dont know how much people pay for stuff if they want it lol

Guille_ElMago
03-12-2005, 07:41 PM
Here's a few racquets you might like, if you want to order a racquet off the internet, I recommend www.tennisspot.net:

Yonex RQ-Ti Pro Long
Yonex RQ-Ti Power Long
Volkl Catapult V1
Volkl Catapult 3 Generation II
Babolat Pure Power Zylon 360
Dunlop 1000G I.C.E.
Dunlop 800G I.C.E.
Head Liquidmetal 8
Prince More Power

Chloe le Bopper
03-12-2005, 07:43 PM
Here's a few racquets you might like, if you want to order a racquet off the internet, I recommend www.tennisspot.net:

Yonex RQ-Ti Pro Long
Yonex RQ-Ti Power Long
Volkl Catapult V1
Volkl Catapult 3 Generation II
Babolat Pure Power Zylon 360
Dunlop 1000G I.C.E.
Dunlop 800G I.C.E.
Head Liquidmetal 8
Prince More Power
Thanks! I'll check them out after I get some groceries ;)

Guille_ElMago
03-12-2005, 07:47 PM
No problem Chloe. Sidenote: Vamos Guille! :yeah:

Rex
03-12-2005, 08:23 PM
ebay selling is the best thing to do- if not leave it- just dont use

Guille_ElMago
03-12-2005, 09:19 PM
Hi Rex,

How did your racquet hunting go?

alfonsojose
03-13-2005, 12:19 AM

Don't forget Guille's tricks while playing :p How good is your "cramping" volley :devil:

tennischick
03-13-2005, 12:28 AM
i wouldn't use it if it were mine but that's easy for me to say when i have other rackets i could use. so really it depends on your financial situation and whether you can afford not to use it.

if u decide to sell it, let us know here first before the folks on ebay.

Guille_ElMago
03-13-2005, 01:15 AM
Hi Chloe,

I just talked with some knowledgable people about the what other racquets would also be suitable for you and they recommended the Dunlop 200g and 300g.

Chloe le Bopper
03-13-2005, 05:09 PM
i wouldn't use it if it were mine but that's easy for me to say when i have other rackets i could use. so really it depends on your financial situation and whether you can afford not to use it.

if u decide to sell it, let us know here first before the folks on ebay.
GOod idea, TC. I have no plans on selling it at the moment, but if I change my mind I'll let you guys know first :wavey:

I didn't reaaallly want to play with it, I just wanted you guys to talk me out of the idea, since I had been bouncing it around.

Chloe le Bopper
03-13-2005, 05:12 PM
Hi Chloe,

I just talked with some knowledgable people about the what other racquets would also be suitable for you and they recommended the Dunlop 200g and 300g.
Thanks. I'll remember to check back to this thread when it gets warm enough to play outside and I can buy a new racquet :D

adeegee
03-13-2005, 05:14 PM
You should put it on ebay, and see how much you can get for it. I think you'll be surprised. And you can just do it as an experiment, you could just get someone you know to put in a big bid at the end and then you won't have to sell it. I guarantee you'll appreicate it in a few year. I'll buy it off you if you want! Name a price

Chloe le Bopper
03-13-2005, 05:20 PM
I don't want to sell it right now ;)

I did figure out what kind it was, though. Probably not a kind that would be good for me to play with anyways. Volkl Quantum 10... there are two types of those though, an I'm not entirely sure which one it is. I think it's the "tour" one :shrug:

Chloe le Bopper
03-13-2005, 05:22 PM
Question - what in sq inches qualifies as "oversize"? Unrelated to the racquet i have, that.

alfonsojose
03-13-2005, 05:27 PM
102 sq and more

Chloe le Bopper
03-13-2005, 05:28 PM
102 sq and more
Thanks. I'm pretty bad so I need a racquet that is at least as big a house. That way I might actually connect :yeah:

adeegee
03-13-2005, 05:33 PM
Thanks. I'm pretty bad so I need a racquet that is at least as big a house. That way I might actually connect :yeah:

Its not always good to have the bigger frame....it can actually be easier to make sweet connections with smaller size heads. :D

alfonsojose
03-13-2005, 05:37 PM
Its not always good to have the bigger frame....it can actually be easier to make sweet connections with smaller size heads. :D
"sweet .. size .. head" .. :ignore: .. This is a serious tennis thread .. and i'm posting here :eek: :shrug:

Chloe le Bopper
03-13-2005, 06:27 PM
But if I'm not very good and I'm going to spend most of the time at the baseline banging away (since this is what we tend to do in class)... doesn't it make sense to have a larger frame?

I don't know. I don't really need power.

adeegee
03-13-2005, 06:47 PM
But if I'm not very good and I'm going to spend most of the time at the baseline banging away (since this is what we tend to do in class)... doesn't it make sense to have a larger frame?

I don't know. I don't really need power.

the size of the head doesn't determine power, its the thickness. the fatter the frame the more powerful the racquet is. I find the oversize racquets often have a slightly unbalanced feel to them...try out a few, every person has a different opinion

Chloe le Bopper
03-13-2005, 07:03 PM
I might ask my instuctor. I suppose that would make the most sense. Aside from wanting a small grip, I don't ahve a clue what specifications I should go after. ;)

adeegee
03-13-2005, 07:23 PM
I might ask my instuctor. I suppose that would make the most sense. Aside from wanting a small grip, I don't ahve a clue what specifications I should go after. ;)

yeah probably the best idea. most girls go for a 4 and 1/8th or 4 and 1/4 grip size. personally i like going for 4 and 3/8ths then putting an overgrip on it, i love the white wilson overgrips they're great!