03-12-2005, 12:44 AM
Hi Leena

Chloe le Bopper
03-12-2005, 12:44 AM
Thank goodness somebody made a thread to discuss this important matter,

Rusedski is awesome.

Sjengster
03-12-2005, 12:45 AM
Ah Chloe, I knew you couldn't be blinded to the joys of Rusedski by Canuck resentment forever.

Chloe le Bopper
03-12-2005, 12:48 AM
I don't have Rusedski resentment over his nationality! I resent him because he looks like a horse and has an ugly game. One of those things isn't entirely his own fault.

Sjengster
03-12-2005, 12:54 AM
I don't have Rusedski resentment over his nationality! I resent him because he looks like a horse and has an ugly game. One of those things isn't entirely his own fault.

I know, 'twas just joking with you about the Canadian issue. I don't see the reason why his game is ugly, though - the backhand, obviously, but his service action is elegant and shock horror, the guy can volley too. I'm not going to start defending everything he's ever done wrong, but there's this strange perception among posters nowadays that Rusedski is the epitome of the bad, hopeless journeyman, a guy with no talent beyond his serve, which is bizarre to me. He is a better all-round player than the likes of Karlovic or Arthurs will ever be, and has a GS final and a former Top 5 ranking to prove it.

But oh yes, TC's Linus references are quite amusing. Rusedski does take a very pretty picture when hitting a backhand volley, I must get the photographic evidence and post it on here.

Chloe le Bopper
03-12-2005, 12:56 AM
I know that he doesn't always look like a horse. He's like Dent that way. Hideous in tennis photos, somewhat normal looking otherwise.

there's this strange perception among posters nowadays that Rusedski is the epitome of the bad, hopeless journeyman, a guy with no talent beyond his serve, which is bizarre to me. He is a better all-round player than the likes of Karlovic or Arthurs will ever be, and has a GS final and a former Top 5 ranking to prove it.

I don't disagree.

Sjengster
03-12-2005, 01:01 AM
But then you and I both quite like Dent, while the same is not true of Rusedski. I supported him for a time, but there have been a few too many outbreaks of foot-in-mouth disease in recent years.

Chloe le Bopper
03-12-2005, 01:02 AM
But then you and I both quite like Dent, while the same is not true of Rusedski. I supported him for a time, but there have been a few too many outbreaks of foot-in-mouth disease in recent years.
I blame the USO 2002 on him!

tennischick
03-12-2005, 01:04 AM
Hi Leena
:lol: :lol:

i don't call Rusedski Linus bec he looks like a horse. i call him Linus for his constant towel-sucking.

Sjengster
03-12-2005, 01:06 AM
At the time, although it was clearly sour grapes, I thought Rusedski had a point because Sampras definitely played his worst match of the tournament in that round - he only won the first set because Rusedski choked away a 5-3 lead in it, and was very lucky to break to win the decider. I also agreed that Haas would probably take him out in the next round, bearing in mind he'd beaten him in Toronto, and it was only when Sampras beat him fairly comfortably that I started to think he was going to win the whole thing again. In hindsight, Haas, Roddick, Agassi... not much better, but was Sampras winning any worse than if any of those had done instead?

Sjengster
03-12-2005, 01:07 AM
:lol: :lol:

i don't call Rusedski Linus bec he looks like a horse. i call him Linus for his constant towel-sucking.

I think it's a comfort towel.

Chloe le Bopper
03-12-2005, 01:13 AM
At the time, although it was clearly sour grapes, I thought Rusedski had a point because Sampras definitely played his worst match of the tournament in that round - he only won the first set because Rusedski choked away a 5-3 lead in it, and was very lucky to break to win the decider. I also agreed that Haas would probably take him out in the next round, bearing in mind he'd beaten him in Toronto, and it was only when Sampras beat him fairly comfortably that I started to think he was going to win the whole thing again. In hindsight, Haas, Roddick, Agassi... not much better, but was Sampras winning any worse than if any of those had done instead?
At least it meant that he retired immediately. Not counting that entire year that he would pretend he hadn't retired yet.

tennischick
03-12-2005, 01:15 AM
I think it's a comfort towel.
it's probably made of horse-hair ;)

Sjengster
03-12-2005, 01:18 AM
Yes, he really showed how to go out in style - "Well, I could play, I might play, I'm thinking about it, I'm not sure.... yeah, I'm out. See ya, folks." It was also quite funny, considering that my BBC commentators had declared for certain just after Sampras had lost to Bastl that he would be back, stating that a great champion like him wouldn't want that loss to be his last ever showing at Wimbledon.

I blame his US Open victory squarely on Sky Sports analyst Mark Petchey, who categorically announced after Sampras' latest dismal display against Arthurs in Cincy that "Pete Sampras will win another ATP title somewhere, but will he win a Grand Slam? No."

Sjengster
03-12-2005, 01:20 AM

I just realised, I was forgetting that other bloke Sampras happened to beat en route to that US Open title. Yeah, I would have preferred it if he had won the whole thing, actually.

TennisLurker
03-12-2005, 04:20 PM
That I like Rusedski is probably my darkest tennis secret, I love his serve motion, I love his second serve, I was sad when he lost to the Android in 5 sets ;(