Tennis Strategy [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Tennis Strategy

jmj24
03-09-2005, 01:59 AM
Simple question. When do you use a forehand and when do you use a backhand? Like when the ball is hit to you.

nkhera1
03-09-2005, 02:29 AM
I don't get what exactly your asking, but i'll answery your question best i can.If your a right handed player you use the forehand when the ball is hit to your right and backhand when the ball is hit to your left. Depending on which stroke is better some players try to run around and hit it with the stroke they favor. For example, because Andy Roddick has a somewhat weak backhand when the ball is hitto his backhand, but close enough for him to run around it, he will try to do that to setup a forehand. I hope that helps.

tennis4you
03-09-2005, 02:54 AM
If a ball is hit down the middle of the court the player should choose their stronger shot, or the one that will give his/her opponent the most trouble. Like a slice, High topspin, etc.

Dokicfan
03-09-2005, 03:39 AM
99% of ppl choose the forehand even if their backhand is somewhat better.

Leena
03-09-2005, 03:42 AM
When do you use a serve.

Maxpowers
03-09-2005, 03:45 AM
If you're at the net you should generally use the backhand volley, as it is much easier to hit a backhand that's right towards your body than the forehand.

Ultraman
03-09-2005, 03:57 AM
And in time, as you gain experience from hitting lots and lots of balls. Your decisions on what to do will become more fluid.

Leena
03-09-2005, 03:57 AM
If you're at the net you should generally use the backhand volley, as it is much easier to hit a backhand that's right towards your body than the forehand.
Do I use the "racket" while doing this?

It hits the ball, right?

The ball...

you hit it...

to the other side...

with the "racket'...

jole
03-09-2005, 04:01 AM
Can you play without the net? What is it there for?

Leena
03-09-2005, 04:05 AM
I'm sure Chang and Blake would prefer the lack of a net.

El Legenda
03-09-2005, 04:05 AM
Can you play without the net? What is it there for?

I bet serve % would be higher without a net.

jole
03-09-2005, 04:24 AM
I bet serve % would be higher without a net.

Anna Kournikova probably wouldn't object. Even World Team Tennis (respect) superstars need serve assistance.

Maxpowers
03-09-2005, 04:53 AM
Do I use the "racket" while doing this?

It hits the ball, right?

The ball...

you hit it...

to the other side...

with the "racket'...

I was talking about if you're at the net and the ball is hit hard directly at your body and you don't have time to react. Some players who are starting out might have a better forehand than backhand volley and might try to hit a ball coming right towards them with the forehand. That was what I originally thought he was asking.

I guess the other thing he could be asking is when do you run around your backhand and go for a big forehand. Is that what this question was? From the way its worded it does sound like saying "if the ball is to my right which way should I move" or something really obvious.

jmj24
03-09-2005, 05:18 PM
Thanks everybody for answering my question. Nkhera you answer was right on point.

federer express
03-09-2005, 06:45 PM
one of the most bizarre things i have ever seen asked on here...

Auscon
03-10-2005, 03:28 AM
take a dice, and a coin out on court with you

before play, flip the coin, pick heads for forehand, tails for backhand

then roll the dice, and this gives you a pattern for your shot making

ie if you filp the coin and get tails, and then roll a 4 on the dice, then you hit a backhand on every fourth shot. For the rest, do forehand.

ie Forehand, forehand, forehand, backhand

repeat this for the duration of the match

alternatively, if this is not working out for you, flip the coin and roll the dice at a change of ends, or at the end of a set, so you can find which pattern works best for you

or again, alternatively, you can just ignore this post

changer7
09-03-2006, 08:40 PM
you sir, are a noob....