Who was Vitas Gerulaitis? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Who was Vitas Gerulaitis?

vaiva
11-26-2002, 10:53 AM
I wonder if somebody knows anything about him. Although he is listed as an American, his name sounds very Lithuanian.

I would love to know more about him as a person and about his career and would appreciate if somebody could provide any links to useful info :)

He must have been a rather charismatic player. Here's a quote I've found just today:

"In 1983, Vitas Gerulaitis bet his house that Martina Navratilova couldn't beat the 100th ranked male tennis player." :D

Nimi
11-26-2002, 11:07 AM
Apperantly he was a funny guy.
I remember he had this record of like 28-0 with Borg, & then they played for the 29th time, before the match he said "Nobody beats Vitas Gerulaitis 29 times in a row."

He won the match.

vaiva
11-26-2002, 11:24 AM
LMAO!

KCVH
10-20-2003, 04:17 PM
results he reached the US-Open final where he lost to Mcenroe. Reached the Master final too, where he lost to Lendl. Reached several semi-finals in the GS's too. Who knows he could have won the Aus Open but many players boycoted the AUS-Open because it was then organised in December. Players like Mcenroe, Connors didn't come.

Professor14
01-05-2004, 10:03 PM
I don't know a lot about Vitas Gerulaitis except that he was an American. He died tragically when a pool heater at his house malfunctioned which caused a carbon dioxide release into his room. He was a New Yorker and best friends with John McEnore. Vitas introduced Mac to the New York night life and the fast lane of society. I have Vitas listed between 26 and 30 on my all time great players of the Open Era. He won the '77 Australian (only 48 men have won a grand slam singles event in the open era) and he won the mens wimbledon doubles in 1975. He was one of those players that got to a few other grand slam finals ('79 US Open and '80 French) losing to Mac and Borg respectively. All the interviews I saw with him and watching him play (although I was only in junior high at his prime), and reading about him in John McEnroe's biography tells me he was a real nice guy.

TheBoiledEgg
02-06-2004, 10:09 AM
Vaiva, his parents were from Lithuania :)

really shocked when he died, so sad :( :sad:

didnt see him play, even before my time :o

Mrs. B
02-06-2004, 06:15 PM
"Vitas Gerulaitis was a firebrand. Fined £1,250 in 1978 for indulging in 'gross and obscene behavior,' he suggested that a line judge be 'put in a crematorium and burned.' He also responded to a heckle of 'Stop swearing, Goldilocks!' by inviting the guy down for a fight, and once squared up on court with a member of his opponent's family. 'I told him to come on out as I would love to have given him a racket sandwich,' he growled."

[Trivia: Gerulaitis once accepted a dare (from Ilie Nastase) to drink half a pint of vodka, liberally mixed with cigarette ash and stale bread.]

:lol:

Mrs. B
02-06-2004, 06:23 PM
didn't he used to date Cheryl Tiegs back in his heydays?

teeder
07-19-2004, 04:42 AM
The guy was grease lightning. He had a hopeless backhand for passing. If he had ever learned a topspin backhand he would have been much better remembered. He had women, friends etc... But he loved the pipe more for many years.

Tennis Fool
07-19-2004, 05:28 AM
I don't know a lot about Vitas Gerulaitis except that he was an American. He died tragically when a pool heater at his house malfunctioned which caused a carbon dioxide release into his room.
Actually it was carbon monoxide.

I didn't know anything about him until the news reports about his death, and still didn't know that was *him* until recently.