Best player of the year so far? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Best player of the year so far?

Cervantes
03-07-2005, 08:07 AM
Who do you think has been the best player over the first two months (and a couple of days) of this year?

CooCooCachoo
03-07-2005, 08:09 AM
Ivan Ljubicic :)

Because he improved so much and has become so consistent, at least for now :)

Wojtek
03-07-2005, 08:11 AM
Roger and Ivan

El Legenda
03-07-2005, 08:12 AM
Roger and Ivan....i been following Ivan since he turned pro and the way he played vs Andy and Roger this year scares me..he's jump on different level now..not only the serve but the onehand-backhand is just scary.

bad gambler
03-07-2005, 08:17 AM
marat safin

because he has won the one tournament that counts so far this year and he was bloody awesome doing it

syd
03-07-2005, 08:30 AM
safin = he wins a GS & beat Roger :devil: :devil: :devil:
Ljubidic = 3 finals ans beat US in davisc cup, he started well the year ! he became very dangerous !! :worship: :worship: :worship:

ca1houn
03-07-2005, 08:46 AM
FEDERER ALREADY HAS THREE AND HE HAS TAKING OVER THE POINT RACE

robinhood
03-07-2005, 08:46 AM
Ljubicic because he's been playing non-stop all year and has singlehandedly carried out a victory over the Americans in US. Rog and Marat would be the best players anytime of the year, so Ivan gets my vote on this thread.

Action Jackson
03-07-2005, 08:54 AM
Arnaud Di Pasquale.

Peta Pan
03-07-2005, 09:02 AM
Arnaud Di Pasquale.
:haha::haha::haha: ah yep, he's been awesome lol
--------------------------

My vote goes to Ivan Ljubicic and Marat Safin. I'm not voting for Rogerer because everyone knows he's always the best.

Ljubicic has been the big improver this year (so far) and Marat has won the one big tourny so far!

Fergie
03-07-2005, 10:18 AM
Roger and Ivan :yeah:

CooCooCachoo
03-07-2005, 10:27 AM
Roger hasn't been super this year; he's not the best player of the year I think. But I would compare that to former years.

JustIncredible
03-07-2005, 10:41 AM
Tie between Serena Williams and Maria Sharapova.

magdanovich
03-07-2005, 11:05 AM
Have to agree with those 'supporting' Ivan on this one - in terms of most improved player there's simply no competition, although of course Roger has beaten him on the 3 times they've played. But Federer will no doubt have his purple patch(es) later in the year and can be suitably praised then, whereas Ivan might get too knackered to sustain his stunning form and should be credited now.

The problem for Roger is that expectations are now pegged so sky-high that even though he has won 3 ATP titles and Koolong so far in 2005, missing the AO is seen as a big black mark on his record - plus we all know he can play even better. As for Marat, he is the only Slam winner and that's hugely impressive too, but until he is firmly entrenched in a winning groove it's hard to credit him on one tournament alone (and Davis Cup). Although it was non-ATP and he wasn't serious, being bagelled by Sanguinetti in the Hopman Cup is still truly embarrassing, and did happen this year ... Hewitt has had a good 2005 too, even though he lost in the AO final, as has Pim Pim with 2 ATP titles.

hablovah19
03-07-2005, 11:09 AM
Safin: winning the AO and beating Fedex!

Roger: the usual, winning despite facing some challenges!

Ivan: a gazillion finals, giving Roger problems and for playing outstanding tennis during DC!!! :p

WyveN
03-07-2005, 11:16 AM
Safin or Bjorkman

WF4EVER
03-07-2005, 11:22 AM
Roger Federer. Consistent throughout and winning.

mandoura
03-07-2005, 11:28 AM
I will leave Roger out of this because he is my favorite :worship: and cannot be objective about him.

So for me, it is like this:

1- Ivan Ljubicic: I used to dislike him a lot. Starting this year, he gained my respect first than my admiration. :yeah:

2- Marat Safin: He used to be my #1 all time favorite before Roger. Being the one who defeated Roger in AO made it, let's say, acceptable. Like Roger, he is unbeatable when at his best. :hearts:

3- Rafael Nadal: Winning back-to-back tournaments, the heart he brings to the court, his overall talent, makes him one of my favorite players. It is so enjoyable to watch him play. He makes me feel young again, and even the sky is not his limit. :kiss:

tennis4you
03-07-2005, 12:11 PM
Roger with Safin and Ivan right behind him.

Deivid23
03-07-2005, 12:15 PM
Feliciano López (see past weekend in Bratislava)

tennismaster882001
03-07-2005, 12:27 PM
Federer, Ljubicic and Safin are top 3!

Experimentee
03-07-2005, 12:40 PM
The best and most consistent player has been Federer, as he's won 3 titles and reached the SF of the AO, which was his only loss of the year losing 9-7 in the 5th.
Although Ljubicic has done well for him, he hasnt won any titles, and did badly at the AO when it mattered. Even if Ljubicic is playing his best and Federer is not, Fed is still objectively better based on results.
Safin won the biggest tournament so far, but did nothing else.

Action Jackson
03-07-2005, 12:42 PM
Oscar Hernandez.

sigmagirl91
03-07-2005, 12:43 PM
Oscar Hernandez.

:haha: :haha: Go, Oscar, get that Wimbledon crown.

-ernie-
03-07-2005, 01:20 PM
Safin, Ljubibic, Federer.....and....NADAL! :yeah:

~EMiLiTA~
03-07-2005, 01:22 PM
Ljubo and Rogi

followed by Marat

D.Hutchings
03-07-2005, 01:25 PM
Roger hasn't been super this year; he's not the best player of the year I think. But I would compare that to former years.
But that's only relative to how he can play. He still digs out the results when he needs to, and somehow digs to find that bit extra when in trouple, even though, y his standards, he's in a bit of a dip at the mo. ;)

foul_dwimmerlaik
03-07-2005, 01:30 PM
Speaking strictly about these 2 months - Safin (a slam). If not him, then Federer (3 titles). If not them, then Gaudio, or Nadal or Hewitt or someone.

Art&Soul
03-07-2005, 01:36 PM
Federer with the 16th undefeated final in straight he's still the best :angel: and the second best maybe Ivan or Safin :)

tennischick
03-07-2005, 01:51 PM
1. Fed
2. Safin
3. Lbju
4. Nadal

Bilbo
03-07-2005, 02:02 PM
Ljubo

miss skywalker
03-07-2005, 02:03 PM
Ljubo and Rogi

followed by Marat
i like this ''Ljubo'' thing. it's nice you know his nickname. ;)

THE BEST SO FAR- ivan ljubicic
ONE BRILLIANT MOMENT(and hoping for more)- marat safin
i hope the period of roger's domination will be over soon... it's not good for tennis world when someone is so much ahead of everyone else

mitalidas
03-07-2005, 02:35 PM
Ivan is the most improved since last season and easily one of the 3 best players this season,
BUT
Federer is the best player this season ---- 3 titles, one SF, and leader of the rankings race

ytben
03-07-2005, 02:46 PM
It's a toss up between Roger and Marat, but I am leaning slightly more to Marat since a slam is a slam.

marilag
03-07-2005, 04:04 PM
AO Champ Marat

onewoman74
03-07-2005, 04:14 PM
In this order:

1. Marat - Slam Title

2. Roger- 3 ATP Titles

3. Ivan - 4 ATP finals and being the DC one man band w/ a duet w/ Ancic

tennisman.
03-07-2005, 04:14 PM
Ninja

lsy
03-07-2005, 04:25 PM
I would also give it to Safin. He did win the biggest title so far on route beating one of the hottest player for the past year. Like it or not, it's the big one that counts.

Roger for his consistency and impossible to not mention Ivan after the past few weeks.

adeegee
03-07-2005, 05:49 PM
Roger and Marat were both expected to do well so I think they should be struck off the list.

Therefore I gotta go for Nadal. Just edges out Ljubo, only because although he's probably had slightly less impressive wins than Ljubo, his have led to 2 titles and Ljubo still hasn't got one this year, despite some excellent results.

jacobhiggins
03-07-2005, 06:53 PM
Marat won the the big one, so he gets the nod, but Federer with 3 titles is impressive. Let have Marat have this, Federer is probablly gonna go on a destructive run like last year anyways.

TheBoiledEgg
03-07-2005, 07:14 PM
Best over 5 sets...... Marat Safin (9-0) (he's pretty useless in 3 set matches (0-4 :lol: )

Federer and Ljubicic on the ATP Tour.

Levo.
03-07-2005, 07:17 PM
Safin - he beat Federer and won a Slam.

mitalidas
03-07-2005, 07:20 PM
Therefore I gotta go for Nadal. Just edges out Ljubo, only because although he's probably had slightly less impressive wins than Ljubo, his have led to 2 titles and Ljubo still hasn't got one this year, despite some excellent results.

Nadal beat the 134th ranked and 46th ranked players in the world for those titles
Ljubicic was within points of beating the best player in the world

El Legenda
03-07-2005, 07:56 PM
Go Ljubo its your birthday...get drunk likes it you birthday...we dont give f if it not your birthday...go go go lol

"I have proved I'm a good player, period," Ljubicic said.

"I'm one of the best and that's a great feeling. I've really improved and there's not many guys out there who can beat me."

Horatio Caine
03-07-2005, 08:06 PM
I never really thought I'd be saying this but...Ljubo. He is undoubtedly the hottest player around right now. His wins over Agassi and Roddick pretty much confirm it.

Maybe I should also take back my comments about him not standing a chance in hell of reaching Shanghai...or maybe not ;)

adeegee
03-07-2005, 08:31 PM
Nadal beat the 134th ranked and 46th ranked players in the world for those titles
Ljubicic was within points of beating the best player in the world

Absolutely irrelevant. Do you think Ljubo would swap his 3 final defeats this year to Federer for Nadal's 2 titles. I would think so. And let's not forget in those 2 finals Rafa has won 3 sets 6-0 and 1 set 6-1

El Legenda
03-07-2005, 08:36 PM
Absolutely irrelevant. Do you think Ljubo would swap his 3 final defeats this year to Federer for Nadal's 2 titles. I would think so. And let's not forget in those 2 finals Rafa has won 3 sets 6-0 and 1 set 6-1

well rafa played no-bodys in final and who did Ivan play.....+ if you add the points from Ivan top 2 finals and rafas 2 finals they might be the same if not more for Ivan.

mitalidas
03-07-2005, 08:37 PM
Absolutely irrelevant. Do you think Ljubo would swap his 3 final defeats this year to Federer for Nadal's 2 titles.

Absolutely relevant. If Ljubicic so desperately wanted to win ANY title, he would go to a lower key tournament, but Ljubicic played the big ones, with the big players.

I would think so. And let's not forget in those 2 finals Rafa has won 3 sets 6-0 and 1 set 6-1
I would think not. And who did Nadal beat? Player Rank : 134? Somewhat impressive, but nothing like coming on Federer's heels

The rankings don't lie --- they weight you for the tournament you play. Why is Nadal so low down on them, and Ljubicic high? Isn't it Nadal who won the two titles and Ljubicic who lost 3? Simple. Mickey Mouse Tournaments.

El Legenda
03-07-2005, 08:39 PM
Nadal beat Martin and Albert Montanes in finals....Ivan lost 3times to #1 and JJ i think Nadal got 85pts from 2 wins and ivan got like 155 from 4finals

mitalidas
03-07-2005, 08:43 PM
Precisely

If you play lower tournaments and win them (like Nadal) you are not rewarded as much as if you played the important ones against the higher ranked players. Thus, Ljubicic is higher in the rankings because even though he didn't win those, he played a more difficult set of tournaments (where higher ranked players came)

RaVeR
03-07-2005, 08:43 PM
Nadal better then Ljubicic???!

too funny...
Ljubi is better at least 2 times!

adeegee
03-07-2005, 08:45 PM
I would think not. And who did Nadal beat? Player Rank : 134? Somewhat impressive, but nothing like coming on Federer's heels

The rankings don't lie --- they weight you for the tournament you play. Why is Nadal so low down on them, and Ljubicic high? Isn't it Nadal who won the two titles and Ljubicic who lost 3? Simple. Mickey Mouse Tournaments.

Firstly, Federer didn't play anything like he can in either of the finals Ljubicic got close. We don't seem to be talking about the final in Doha what was the score there?

Secondly, Nadal is undisputedly on the rise in the world rankings. Considering he's 18 and has already won 3 titles shows he's going places.

Thirdly, Acapulco is one of the most coveted clay court titles outside the FO and Masters Series. The field was pretty strong and Rafa did get a nice draw but thats not his fault. The Brazil Open also had a reasonable field. And don't feed me bullshit about if Ivan wanted to win title he'd go compete in these events coz its simple, he wouldn't win them and has entered many small tourmaments in the past and not won them, therefore he has only 1 title.

RaVeR
03-07-2005, 08:48 PM
Ivan Ljubicic (CRO) d. Rafael Nadal (ESP) 6-2 6-7(3) 6-3 :D
simply answer who is better;)

El Legenda
03-07-2005, 08:48 PM

too funny...

Nadal cant beat Ljubo on anything thats not clay.

mitalidas
03-07-2005, 08:49 PM
Secondly, Nadal is undisputedly on the rise in the world rankings. Considering he's 18 and has already won 3 titles shows he's going places.

Ah, so you're talking about the player most on-the-rise. Yeah, that's Nadal. No doubt about that. But the forum question is: best player of the year so far

IMO, the best this year is Federer.
By your logic ("Nadal won two titles so he's best"), shouldn't Federer, the winner of 3 titles be the best???

adeegee
03-07-2005, 08:50 PM
Ivan Ljubicic (CRO) d. Rafael Nadal (ESP) 6-2 6-7(3) 6-3 :D
simply answer who is better;)

your an idiot

Tomas Berdych def Roger Federer 4-6 7-5 7-5. lets think who's better

El Legenda
03-07-2005, 08:51 PM
your an idiot

you're an idiot..You know that Nadal can't touch ljubicic on anything thats not clay.....

RaVeR
03-07-2005, 08:53 PM
your an idiot

YOU ARE AN IDIOT AND JERK!!

Look at the Ranking!!
And...who is better?

adeegee
03-07-2005, 08:54 PM
you're an idiot..You know that Nadal can't touch ljubicic on anything thats not clay.....

Well he took a set off him on hard. Clay is obviously his favourite surface but he's improving on the others. Face it, Ljubicic is 7 years older than Nadal, and is undisputedly having his best season as a pro. But by the end of their careers Rafa will have achieved far more.

El Legenda
03-07-2005, 08:57 PM
Well he took a set off him on hard. Clay is obviously his favourite surface but he's improving on the others. Face it, Ljubicic is 7 years older than Nadal, and is undisputedly having his best season as a pro. But by the end of their careers Rafa will have achieved far more.

hey my little brother is 6 thats 12 years younger..then Nadal who knows he might became tennis players and achieve more then Nadal.....

why does that matter with whats going on now...

nadal can get career ending inj now...and your whole theory goes down the shitter...age dont matter...its what you do now..and Ljubo has been better then Nadal and is better on 3 of 4 surfaces.

Puschkin
03-07-2005, 08:59 PM
The one who has the most points in the race.

RaVeR
03-07-2005, 09:00 PM
your an idiot

You need to learn to spell!

El Legenda
03-07-2005, 09:00 PM
The one who has the most points in the race.

Ljubo 162
Nadal 136

Entry
Ljubo 13=1575
Nadal 30=1100

475 takes alot of time to make up.

adeegee
03-07-2005, 09:02 PM
Put it this way. If Ivan ends his career with 1 title, and 20 runners up trophies, don't you think he'd be willing to swap some of his runners up trophies for some winners trophies, even if they're slightly smaller events

Puschkin
03-07-2005, 09:03 PM
Ljubo 162
Nadal 136

This proves that Ljubicic is better than Nadal so far, but he is not the best player of the year. Bad for him that DC does not give race-points, though ;)

croat123
your an idiot

2004 Madrid AMS Ljubicic def. Berdych 6 4 6 4 :wavey:

El Legenda
Put it this way. If Ivan ends his career with 1 title, and 20 runners up trophies, don't you think he'd be willing to swap some of his runners up trophies for some winners trophies, even if they're slightly smaller events

i think he would be happy for what he as accomplised...when it was impossible if you take a look where he came from and what happend...
im sure Nadal had little easier growing up.

adeegee
03-07-2005, 09:08 PM
2004 Madrid AMS Ljubicic def. Berdych 6 4 6 4 :wavey:

wow

Horatio Caine
03-07-2005, 09:11 PM
Adeegee mate - I'd give up the fight. ;)

Everyone is entitled to freedom of speech and I respect your views...but Ljubo has had a better year than Nadal...at least in my opinion anyway. Sadly for you, I think most people will agree, but I will eat my shorts if I am proven wrong ;) :wavey:

El Legenda
03-07-2005, 09:12 PM
I will eat my shorts if I am proven wrong ;) :wavey:

do they taste good?

adeegee
03-07-2005, 09:16 PM
Adeegee mate - I'd give up the fight. ;)

Everyone is entitled to freedom of speech and I respect your views...but Ljubo has had a better year than Nadal...at least in my opinion anyway. Sadly for you, I think most people will agree, but I will eat my shorts if I am proven wrong ;) :wavey:

I'm sorry, I refuse to accept that someone who hasn't won a title this year can be crowned as having the best year so far. If he was ranked 100 or below in the world and had the results of Ljubicic then I would maybe change my mind. But Ivan was already ranked in the top 30 its not as if he's all of a sudden become a genius. Admittedly he's playing better but just because he ran Federer close a couple of times (and got thrashed once lets not forget) doesn't mean anything

El Legenda
03-07-2005, 09:19 PM
I'm sorry, I refuse to accept that someone who hasn't won a title this year can be crowned as having the best year so far. If he was ranked 100 or below in the world and had the results of Ljubicic then I would maybe change my mind. But Ivan was already ranked in the top 30 its not as if he's all of a sudden become a genius. Admittedly he's playing better but just because he ran Federer close a couple of times (and got thrashed once lets not forget) doesn't mean anything

yeah then he trashes agassi and beat roddick and spanked him in 5th seat..on surface thats US was going to win easy...doesn't mean anything.

entry points say it all

Ivan #13 1575 25tour
Nadal#30 1100 24toun

dont think Nadal can make up 475 pts in 1 tounry.

adelaide
03-07-2005, 09:21 PM
i dont think this is all fair because Rafael is only 18 and Ljuby's like.. 25. :angel:

and do you guys honestly think Rafael's ranking speaks for his talent? I think he deserves to be ranked higher..........

not saying Rafa's better than Ljubo or anything, just saying this will be a fair fight when Rafael's real career is prevailed. :)

Horatio Caine
03-07-2005, 09:21 PM
do they taste good?

I don't know yet...they sure smell....not so good! :lol: :haha:

Hey - be nice for once Mr. Croat - I'm actually on your side here! ;)

Besides...it won't last for long, especially when Henman has to play another match against your annoyingly good players - knowing his luck it will be next Monday! :lol:

federer express
03-07-2005, 09:22 PM
answer is obviously federer
only other challenger is safin

El Legenda
03-07-2005, 09:22 PM
I don't know yet...they sure smell....not so good! :lol: :haha:

Hey - be nice for once Mr. Croat - I'm actually on your side here! ;)

:

Im always nice..well not to leena sometimes....i mess around to get people fired about...its fun...you should try it....speaking of smell...shower time.

Horatio Caine
03-07-2005, 09:24 PM
RubberDucky - it is not feasible to compare rankings points for Ljubo and Rafa. Rafa has hardly been around and has only just peaked at that level after injuries and a slow comeback last year.

In contrast, Ljubo started this year with at least 900 points anyway...

...also, just to sober you up a little, Rafa will kick Ljubo's large, flat arse back over to Croatia when it comes down to how many points either player wins in MS and GS.

Puschkin
03-07-2005, 09:24 PM
answer is obviously federer
only other challenger is safin

Exactly! There is truth in numbers ;)

Horatio Caine
03-07-2005, 09:25 PM
Im always nice..well not to leena sometimes....i mess around to get people fired about...its fun...you should try it....speaking of smell...shower time.

Actually..it is almost bedtime mate :lol:

Shower in the morning. :wavey:

El Legenda
03-07-2005, 09:25 PM
i dont think this is all fair because Rafael is only 18 and Ljuby's like.. 25. :angel:

and do you guys honestly think Rafael's ranking speaks for his talent? I think he deserves to be ranked higher..........

not saying Rafa's better than Ljubo or anything, just saying this will be a fair fight when Rafael's real career is prevailed. :)

Once again why does that matter with what we are talking about "BEST PLAYER OF THE YEAR SO FAR"

again..I have a 6 year old brother who is 12 years younger then Nadal..he could became tennis player and he better then him....now does that matter with the topic...now...so we all can drop that bs.

adeegee
03-07-2005, 09:26 PM
yeah then he trashes agassi and beat roddick and spanked him in 5th seat..on surface thats US was going to win easy...doesn't mean anything.

entry points say it all

Ivan #13 1575 25tour
Nadal#30 1100 24toun

dont think Nadal can make up 475 pts in 1 tounry.

yeah his results in the DC were impressive, no doubt about it. but it doesn't take away the fact he has won 1 tournament, and lost in a lot of finals. Will Ivan be classified as the best ever tennis player if he reaches finals every week for the next 2 years but loses every one?

i can 100% assure you by the end of the french open rafa will be in the top 20 at the very least, barring an injury. he's got virtually no points to defend from last year coming up in the next few weeks, and his entry ranking is low because he hasn't had a proper full year yet, he's only 18 for gods sake

adelaide
03-07-2005, 09:27 PM
Once again why does that matter with what we are talking about "BEST PLAYER OF THE YEAR SO FAR"

again..I have a 6 year old brother who is 12 years younger then Nadal..he could became tennis player and he better then him....now does that matter with the topic...now...so we all can drop that bs.

well i actually wasnt responding to the thread itself, i was just saying that this whole Nadal-Ljubicic argument is unfair.

if you ask me, the best player of the year so far is federer. as they say, truth in the numbers.

Horatio Caine
03-07-2005, 09:28 PM

Yeah I see your point - he should be given the title of "most improved so far" I feel. He is in great form and Federer hasn't really been in top gear since Doha, but the difference between the 2 is that Federer finds a way to win 95% of the time. Ljubo couldn't do that if his life depended on it...and neither could 95% of the rest of the tour players.

Federer is the best player this year so far - sorry i have changed my opinion. Ljubo's title ( :tape: - he wins something!) should be moderated to "most improved."

El Legenda
03-07-2005, 09:28 PM
yeah his results in the DC were impressive, no doubt about it. but it doesn't take away the fact he has won 1 tournament, and lost in a lot of finals. Will Ivan be classified as the best ever tennis player if he reaches finals every week for the next 2 years but loses every one?

i can 100% assure you by the end of the french open rafa will be in the top 20 at the very least, barring an injury. he's got virtually no points to defend from last year coming up in the next few weeks, and his entry ranking is low because he hasn't had a proper full year yet, he's only 18 for gods sake

FUCK IT...this crap don't matter..then are 2 different kinds of players..ljubo is power w.one hell of a backhand..and Nadal is whatever he is...Ivan will get better results on hard/carpat and Nadal will get better on clay...I wish them both luck and no inj..stay healtly and anything is possible.

adeegee
03-07-2005, 09:31 PM
FUCK IT...this crap don't matter..then are 2 different kinds of players..ljubo is power w.one hell of a backhand..and Nadal is whatever he is...Ivan will get better results on hard/carpat and Nadal will get better on clay...I wish them both luck and no inj..stay healtly and anything is possible.

Fine i'll drink to that....
Rafa is a hell of a fighter, very strong off both wings but not so good on the serve. An exceptional mover too. You'll see when you watch the RG final this year :p

Horatio Caine
03-07-2005, 09:31 PM
i can 100% assure you by the end of the french open rafa will be in the top 20 at the very least, barring an injury.

With the players being close to each other in points...I would go as far saying possible top 16. If it is a really good clay court season...top 14. I could see him picking up about 75 Race points. It will be difficult but he has the ability to beat most players on clay on a good day. Plus he'll be seeded for the French and that will probably give him a huge boost in terms of how far he can progress.

adeegee
03-07-2005, 09:33 PM
With the players being close to each other in points...I would go as far saying possible top 16. If it is a really good clay court season...top 14. I could see him picking up about 75 Race points. It will be difficult but he has the ability to beat most players on clay on a good day. Plus he'll be seeded for the French and that will probably give him a huge boost in terms of how far he can progress.

He also didnt play the French last year so if he goes far he can make massive points

Horatio Caine
03-07-2005, 09:34 PM
Ljubo will probably reach top 10 now - it is hard to see him not do well in the next 4 weeks after his impressive display in the DC. He will definitely go off on the clay and I almost wish him to - he needs rest. It will be a question of whether he can do well on the hard / indoor surfaces at the latter stages of the year. If so, he could be a darkhorse for Shanghai...but I see him out of the Race for top 8 by the end of the US Open to be honest. Sorry - top 12 finisher though, possibly.

Horatio Caine
03-07-2005, 09:38 PM
He also didnt play the French last year so if he goes far he can make massive points

Yeah too true mate - I see him having a great chance of QF and if he has luck of the draw / conditions etc...maybe further.

adeegee
03-07-2005, 09:40 PM
Ljubo will probably reach top 10 now - it is hard to see him not do well in the next 4 weeks after his impressive display in the DC. He will definitely go off on the clay and I almost wish him to - he needs rest. It will be a question of whether he can do well on the hard / indoor surfaces at the latter stages of the year. If so, he could be a darkhorse for Shanghai...but I see him out of the Race for top 8 by the end of the US Open to be honest. Sorry - top 12 finisher though, possibly.

yep i agree. you need a strong showing at 1/2 of the grand slams to be reaching shanghai, and he never seems to produce at GS. maybe he'll prove me wrong, time will tell.

but getting to the final in some small events won't do it in the long run

Deivid23
03-07-2005, 09:41 PM

Watch out the kid, maybe heīll make you retract of your words the same way Ivan did ;)

SuperFurryAnimal
03-07-2005, 09:42 PM
I'd say both Ljubo and Rafa. Of course Marat won the Aussie Open and Rogi won three tournaments, but they are to be expected to do stuff like that. Most improved and thus best players so far are Ljubo and Rafa IMO.
Then another thing... Rogi isn't playing his best tennis, hence the three sets he needed against several players (e.g. Minar!) ... :shrug:

Horatio Caine
03-07-2005, 09:43 PM
yep i agree. you need a strong showing at 1/2 of the grand slams to be reaching shanghai, and he never seems to produce at GS. maybe he'll prove me wrong, time will tell.

but getting to the final in some small events won't do it in the long run

Yeah totally agree there mate. Getting to this many finals has benefitted him hugely in the short run...but it won't do much for him unless he produces in the GS and MS. He can hardly improve his best 5 now unless...he wins a title :devil:

However, given the fact that he has a huge benefit in the short run in being seeded for practically every event...this is the best chance of his life to make something of the big events. If he can't do it now...he just isn't good enough at the top level and getting to the finals of the smaller events has been impressive but it will prove little more about his ability.

Deivid23
03-07-2005, 09:45 PM

too funny...

Blade, mate, donīt do like others... :rolleyes:

Horatio Caine
03-07-2005, 09:48 PM
Watch out the kid, maybe heīll make you retract of your words the same way Ivan did ;)

He'd have to do exceptionally well / poor for me to have to retract my words by June ;)

Besides Ivan hasn't made me retract my words yet. ;) Sure, his performances in the DC were hugely impressive but he has yet to prove to me that he can earn at least 100 Race points in MS and 120 in GS in one calendar year. Until he does that, and he needs to do that to have an OUTSIDE chance of Masters Cup, I am not eating any of my words! :devil: :fiery:

adeegee
03-07-2005, 09:49 PM
Blade, mate, donīt do like others... :rolleyes:

they're all getting a bit overexcited by ivans form, they'll quieten down in a few months

Horatio Caine
03-07-2005, 09:49 PM
I'd say both Ljubo and Rafa. Of course Marat won the Aussie Open and Rogi won three tournaments, but they are to be expected to do stuff like that. Most improved and thus best players so far are Ljubo and Rafa IMO.
Then another thing... Rogi isn't playing his best tennis, hence the three sets he needed against several players (e.g. Minar!) ... :shrug:

...but like a truly great player...he came out the winner in every match bar one this year.

SuperFurryAnimal
03-07-2005, 09:50 PM
...but like a truly great player...he came out the winner in every match bar one this year.

Yeah, but since he's expected to do that, I don't think he's having his best year so far. But that's just my humble opinion.. ;)

federer express
03-07-2005, 09:51 PM
again...if u actually answer the thread
1. roger
2. marat

no other name belongs here...if u answering what the thread is asking

Horatio Caine
03-07-2005, 09:51 PM
they're all getting a bit overexcited by ivans form, they'll quieten down in a few months

They certainly will when the Spaniards drive him POTty on the clay :devil: They'll shoot him down like the clay pigeon he is...but Duck will fall first as he is more inept on clay and heaviest. :lol:

Or, as Bilbo would say, Rafa will "rip Ljubo a new one" on clay...can't get enough of that phrase! :haha: Should be put in a dictionary of sayings.

Horatio Caine
03-07-2005, 09:53 PM
Yeah, but since he's expected to do that, I don't think he's having his best year so far. But that's just my humble opinion.. ;)

Good point - this thread has 2 questions really...

1. Who is the best player of the year (results wise)?
2. Who is the best player of the year (form wise)?

Ljubo is the best player form wise and Federer is the best player results wise. Safin comes close to Federer also in being the only player this year to win a slam so far (obviously). ;)

adeegee
03-07-2005, 09:54 PM
They certainly will when the Spaniards drive him POTty on the clay :devil: They'll shoot him down like the clay pigeon he is...but Duck will fall first as he is more inept on clay and heaviest. :lol:

Or, as Bilbo would say, Rafa will "rip Ljubo a new one" on clay...can't get enough of that phrase! :haha: Should be put in a dictionary of sayings.

what about "clear as water"....or "he's thinking"....or "this sets over" when someone goes a minibreak up in a tie break, even if its to lead 1-0

federer express
03-07-2005, 09:55 PM
Good point - this thread has 2 questions really...

1. Who is the best player of the year (results wise)?
2. Who is the best player of the year (form wise)?

Ljubo is the best player form wise and Federer is the best player results wise. Safin comes close to Federer also in being the only player this year to win a slam so far (obviously). ;)

how is ljubicic the best form wise? he has lost 3 times to federer and lost to baghdatis at the aussie? feder is still playing better than ivan. the fact that roger is not on top form and ljubicic is doesn't matter. it just shows that federer at 75% is better than ivan at 100%. results wise federer. form wise federer or safin.

Horatio Caine
03-07-2005, 09:55 PM
what about "clear as water"....or "he's thinking"....or "this sets over" when someone goes a minibreak up in a tie break, even if its to lead 1-0

:haha: :haha: :haha: Gotta love the guy - despite his ineptitude 90% of the time :lol:

El Legenda
03-07-2005, 09:56 PM

yeah the same way ljubo ripped him a new one in Doha. after winning 1st set like 6-2 Ljubo let down a little nadal got 2nd 7-6 then ljubo 6-3.

all the crap we say here dont mean shit..no one us know theses players like they know themself....READ MY SIG...ljubo said it himself...i think he knows more about his game and others game then us...i believe him more then any of you fucks

Deivid23
03-07-2005, 10:01 PM
I agree with Croatian fellas about Ljubicicīs year so far is more impressive than Nadalīs one, but also I have to admit I know Nadal well, and heīs just starting to show what heīs made of, nothing can surprise me with him.

I really admire Ivan, in last TMS Madrid I told some friends "hey, this guy looks different here from what Iīve seen of him" cause he played really well (I mean he cut a lot his UE, was patient in rallies, agressive with both bh and fh when needed) and he hasnīt left such a monster shape till these days.

But when talking about Nadal, itīs true some of you should be more respectable to him imo, maybe now you only rate him as "bah, another good Spanish young claycourter", but this kid, 18, is something damn special. You can think he canīt play on hard courts, or he canīt serve, but Nadal will prove you all wrong in next years. Wait and see. ;)

Horatio Caine
03-07-2005, 10:02 PM
how is ljubicic the best form wise? he has lost 3 times to federer and lost to baghdatis at the aussie? feder is still playing better than ivan. the fact that roger is not on top form and ljubicic is doesn't matter. results wise federer. form wise federer or safin.

Yeah I have to admit, you have me there man :worship:

Ljubo is in great form but I get the feeling that he is, on average, the better player form wise. Sure he had his dips especially against Baghdatis, but Fed had a few shockers e.g. Minar and, in some respects, Ferrero. I feel that Ljubo has been more consistent and the better player in the run-up to the finals but granted he has come up against a better player on Sundays ;)

adeegee
03-07-2005, 10:02 PM
federer express apologies in advance for when you go to my tennis lookalikes post

federer express
03-07-2005, 10:04 PM
federer express apologies in advance for when you go to my tennis lookalikes post

damn you! :p u are really trying hard to get me to bad rep u aren't ya :(

Horatio Caine
03-07-2005, 10:04 PM

:haha: :haha:

El Legenda
03-07-2005, 10:05 PM
okay i have to leave again TILL THEN NO MORE POSTING HERE..lol Economics class from 5:30pm to 7pm.. ;)

adeegee
03-07-2005, 10:05 PM
damn you! :p u are really trying hard to get me to bad rep u aren't ya :(

sorry boss! :p

every time i see your pic i think you look more and more like him. i thought my ljubicic one and jesse from home and away is pretty good too

federer express
03-07-2005, 10:07 PM

every time i see your pic i think you look more and more like him. i thought my ljubicic one and jesse from home and away is pretty good too

it is pretty good. but ljubicic is more like the guy from ER and Top Gun

Horatio Caine
03-07-2005, 10:10 PM

Yeah they could be brothers...good find

mitalidas
03-07-2005, 10:30 PM

So why is it that in your measure Federer isn't the best player of the year?
You claim that Nadal is because he won two tournaments.
But Federer won three ---- so why is it that Federer isn't the best player in your view?

I don't suppose you would have an answer to this.... ;)

adeegee
03-07-2005, 10:35 PM
So why is it that in your measure Federer isn't the best player of the year?
You claim that Nadal is because he won two tournaments.
But Federer won three ---- so why is it that Federer isn't the best player in your view?

I don't suppose you would have an answer to this.... ;)

Because Federer is number 1 in the world. Its hardly unexpected, plus he hasn't reached top form winning these 3 tournaments. But yes, it could be argued he should get my vote, I just think Nadal would be more deserving due to his level of play and the fact that it wasn't totally expected

El Legenda
03-07-2005, 11:39 PM
, I just think Nadal would be more deserving due to his level of play and the fact that it wasn't totally expected

well talking about level of play= Ljubo
wasn't totally expected= ljubo

people have been expecting alot from Nadal just like Ancic.

GoranIvanisevic546346
03-07-2005, 11:45 PM
1. Marat Safin-he won Grand Slam and lead Russia to Davis Cup win
2. Roger Federer-AO semifinal is not so bad and he win 3 Micky Mouse tournaments
3. Ivan Ljubicic-4 finals and huge win over USA dream team
4. Rafael Nadal-won two smaller tournaments
5. Wayne Arthurs-won his first at age of 33 playing his best match in career, also help Australia to get past Austria.

El Legenda
03-07-2005, 11:48 PM
2. Roger Federer-AO semifinal is not so bad and he win 3 Micky Mouse tournaments
5. Wayne Arthurs-won his first at age of 33 playing his best match in career, also help Australia to get past Austria.

I agree.

erik-the-red
03-08-2005, 01:54 AM
Safin. It looks like Federer affected him mentally; Safin is cooler than ever.

Federer. Hey, he might have lost Australia, but make no mistake, this man is still the world's best player.

I guess I will agree with Ljubucic. I saw a little bit of his match against Moya last year at Cincinnati. I didn't see much then...not anymore.

drf716
03-08-2005, 02:10 AM
Ivan ljubicic bcoz i heard of him so many times just for this year.

Billabong
03-08-2005, 02:27 AM
Rogi, Marat and Ivan:)

sigmagirl91
03-08-2005, 02:58 AM
Roger, Marat, Ivan...clearly.
With Ivan's current form, I wouldn't be surprised if he finished the year in the top 10.

Peta Pan
03-08-2005, 03:53 AM

I agree very much with this well thought out post! (except for the Mickey Mouse tournaments for Rogerer, coz he has been playing in the highest calibre tournaments each week).

Well done to Wayne... great to see him get a win so late in is career!

mandoura
03-08-2005, 06:13 AM

You have a huge point here, adeegee :)

mandoura
03-08-2005, 06:18 AM
your an idiot

And wasn't Nadal one of the players who defeated Roger last year?

Poljud
03-08-2005, 06:22 AM
Roger is always the best, but Ivan is the most impressive.

Becarina
03-08-2005, 06:24 AM
And again it is Marat...

By the way, it says best player not playerS

mandoura
03-08-2005, 06:48 AM

I almost agree with you with little differences:-

- I had Roger out of my selection because he is THE #1.
- I had Ljubo before Marat, and Nadal at 3.
- I did not have Arthurs.

One thing, though. While you describe Roger's 3 won tournaments as Mickey Mouse ones, you fail to mention that 3 out of the 4 finals Ljubo were in were in these very same Mickey Mouse tournaments. :confused:

So what is it, they are Mickey Mouse for Roger but hailed for Ljubo ? :rolleyes:

mandoura
03-08-2005, 06:50 AM
And again it is Marat...

By the way, it says best player not playerS

You are right, but the selection is hard. :)

Becarina
03-08-2005, 06:51 AM
So what is it, they are Mickey Mouse for Roger but hailed for Ljubo ? :rolleyes:

ahh get over it...everything Andy does is Mickey Mouse :rolleyes:

adeegee
03-08-2005, 04:36 PM
And wasn't Nadal one of the players who defeated Roger last year?

indeed he was. and very comfortably on a hard court.....but apparently rafa can only play on clay :rolleyes:

mandoura
03-08-2005, 04:40 PM
indeed he was. and very comfortably on a hard court.....but apparently rafa can only play on clay :rolleyes:

Sometimes people have selective memory. :rolleyes:

It's Ok, I am losing my memory anyway so I shouldn't get picky. :)

Cervantes
03-08-2005, 06:26 PM
Damn, a lot of post for one day. For me Ljubicic is the player of the season so far, especially after disposing of Agassi and Roddick for the Davis Cup. He's really surprising me week in week out, although he's gotta run out of gas sometime cause he's gotta be tired. But for now he's playing great and I hope he can keep it up for the rest of the season.

I actually wanted to make a poll including of this thread but that failed somehow, which is too bad cause I think it's a close call between Federer, Safin and Ljubicic.

Experimentee
03-09-2005, 09:53 AM
'Most improved' is not the same as 'best'. If you are talking about best player, whether they are expected to or not should be irrelevant.

Art&Soul
03-09-2005, 10:14 AM
'Most improved' is not the same as 'best'. If you are talking about best player, whether they are expected to or not should be irrelevant.
Agree :) Ivan should be consider the most improved but not the best coz if Ivan is the best so far this year so what would you call the person beating him 3 times is? Maybe is BETTER of the BEST :D

Nymeria
03-09-2005, 01:23 PM
Roger, Ivan, Marat... hard to say who was the best one. Marat, of course, did win the most important tournament so far, but Roger is leading the race. Ivan did play really well, but has been beaten by Roger in several tournies. So I should say Roger, but he's not yet as good as last season, which makes it hard to name him. But we're talking about best player, and not most improved or the one who did win the biggest tournament. So I guess Roger is the best, because he did win three tournaments (while he doesn't play his best game) and is leading the race.

Daniel
03-12-2005, 12:29 AM
Roger Federer.

DanEd
05-14-2005, 02:03 AM
1) Roger Federer
2) Rafael Nadal

loveit
05-14-2005, 02:07 AM
ROGER FEDERER ;)

Federerhingis
05-14-2005, 02:11 AM
I agree very much with this well thought out post! (except for the Mickey Mouse tournaments for Rogerer, coz he has been playing in the highest calibre tournaments each week).

Well done to Wayne... great to see him get a win so late in is career!

I certainly agree with you Pj, what is this person talking about 3 mickey mouse tournies? Dubai is not a mickey mouse tournie at all, neither is Rotterdam, certainly not with the quality of players its had over the past three years.

Daniela_CABJ
05-14-2005, 02:15 AM
Nadal

sonia
05-14-2005, 11:12 AM
Rafa Nadal
Roger Federer