The "Please Find Your Confidence, Andy!" Indian Wells thread. [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

The "Please Find Your Confidence, Andy!" Indian Wells thread.

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Deboogle!.
03-07-2005, 05:10 AM
Main draw starts Friday, but Andy will have a bye so he won't play til at least Saturday if not Sunday.

Please somehow get over DC and find some confidence :awww:

He's defending QF points.

snaillyyy
03-07-2005, 05:18 AM
I hope he puts this behind him and doesnt let it affect this tournament.....and Deb when I saw you had no avatar and then saw that picture I KNEW you had picked it! ;)

Deboogle!.
03-07-2005, 05:19 AM
I'm predictable what can I say :shrug: lol

it just seemed fitting. sigh.

snaillyyy
03-07-2005, 05:20 AM
No not predictable you just came to mind when I saw it :)

tangerine_dream
03-07-2005, 05:20 AM
Tabula Rasa again Andy. Go forth and conquer! :rocker2:

liptea
03-07-2005, 05:21 AM
I dunno if praying to Carlos will help here. I think Carlos will be looking out for himself.

Go Andy. Go forth and win. Please.

tangerine_dream
03-07-2005, 05:23 AM
Being negative is too draining. Let's be positive: Yaay! No more DC! :banana: Now Andy can concentrate on winning REAL matches. :woohoo:

Carito_90
03-07-2005, 05:25 AM
First of all...
DEATH DEATH DEATH Your av Deb :haha:

Now lets get serious...

Andy really needs to work on this mental issue thing, he needs to get a phsycologist NOW. He can go out tonight and get pissed and throw up in a trash can but tomorrow he has to have a long talk with Dean and try to figure out what the hell is going on. I just hope this is the last time this happens and as it is a DC the fact of losing in a 5 setter hits him hard and realises he can't go on like this cos it can happen again and take the issue in his hands. There HAS to be a turning point someday and I hope this was the day... because if not we're gonna have some real trouble trying to win GSs. (Yeah that's my 'captain obvious' phrase of the day)

Anyway... I just hope he gets some easy matches in the first two rounds of IW so he can win easily and get his confidence back and at least defend the points he has to defend. What really worries me right now is the Nasdaq :nervous: But we still got time for that... thankfully.

So all I gotta say for now is that and Good luck Andy, you might need it (I hope not) :)

Booshie
03-07-2005, 05:36 AM
Best of luck to Andy at Indian Wells. :yeah: I only hope the best for him. :) Maybe IW will be the exact thing that he needs to get his confidence back. To get some good wins under his belt would be nice. Who knows, he may surprise us! :)

Neely
03-07-2005, 08:26 AM
Good luck, Andy! :rocker2: :hug:

I hope you can get rid of this rather disappointing Davis Cup weekend soon and start getting better results!!

J. Corwin
03-07-2005, 08:34 AM
Let's win one of these next two biggies, ok? :) OK. :cool:

blosson
03-07-2005, 08:41 AM
Being negative is too draining. Let's be positive: Yaay! No more DC! :banana: Now Andy can concentrate on winning REAL matches. :woohoo:

I absolutely agree. I also agree with your other post in the DC thread: Wimbledon's 2005 trophy is waiting for Andy. It's the only slam event he can realistically do very well this year and the best part is that he knows it. It will be his redeption time for all the other losses!

But for now, he will just carry on the best he can with what it matters, matches that win points. He actually need some points right now. He's a bit too far behind from the bold man!

:)

euroka1
03-07-2005, 08:47 AM
He seems to be at his best in the "local" tournaments. Still the DC performance was nothing to be ashamed of.

Neely
03-07-2005, 09:05 AM
Andy... and please stay away from Kiwi, at least in the first two rounds, will you? Thanks. ;)

blosson
03-07-2005, 10:05 AM
He seems to be at his best in the "local" tournaments. Still the DC performance was nothing to be ashamed of.

DC was a blow considering they were playing at home and as far as Andy's performance, I didn't see last night's match and the scoreline and stats looks good apart from the 5th set. He tanked just like he did at the AO against Hewitt. Andy Dumbo :smash:

robinhood
03-07-2005, 10:23 AM
Good luck, Roddick. We are all looking forward to seeing you in some great matches in IW next week.

skaya
03-07-2005, 10:53 AM
Andy I will finally have some opportunity to watch tennis during Indian Wells, so i seriously want to see you kick some ass over there!!!

Good luck dude! :yeah:

lizzieh
03-07-2005, 11:07 AM
It's make or break time Andy...please give my lousy life a much needed boost... I need SOMETHING to cheer about!!:)

Tytta!.
03-07-2005, 02:43 PM
Go Andy :yeah:

jasmine(usa)
03-07-2005, 03:56 PM
Good luck to Andy! Tytta, I love your take on the Lord's prayer. You and Kell have given me a good laugh today.

Tytta!.
03-07-2005, 04:03 PM
Me and my twin Kell are spreading the love of Carlos on earth :)

smucav
03-07-2005, 04:41 PM
Andy... and please stay away from Kiwi, at least in the first two rounds, will you? Thanks. ;)
Kiefer will also be a seed so both he & Andy will have first round byes and can't meet in the second round either.

PinkFeatherBoa
03-07-2005, 06:04 PM
OK Andy lets put the negatives behind us and get some good results here and Miami.

Good luck... give us all something to cheer about. :)

MissFairy
03-07-2005, 06:10 PM
andyyy, good luck, just do it yeah? :)
theres not much to say...i just hope he can build up his confidence (good title deb :yeah: ) and get some good wins

DEFEND THOSE POINTS!

Fumus
03-07-2005, 07:32 PM
Ummm...yea...Andy in order for you to make happy you have to beat Hewitt, Safin, and Federer in succession to take this title...alright...lol…maybe just one of them in a semifinal or final...what do you think?

Natasc
03-07-2005, 09:42 PM
OMG
Just Deb to make a thread with that name :haha:
Great idea Deb :haha:

Ok, IW will for sure pass in my tv
All MS pass in my tv
So, I wish the best of lucky to Rod
I read that he was very sad with that, i also read some quotes
Poor Andy :sad:

But seems that even Andre was convinced that Ivan was playing a very good tennis
I read that Agassi went to dressing rooms for talk with Ivan..WOW :eek:
That's Mr Graff :worship: :yeah:

So, Andy, please!! COME BACK!!
I need see you more times
Make ages that I dont see you!! (last time was in AUS Open vs Hewitt)
Go Andy!! GO!!

Jennay
03-07-2005, 09:49 PM
Good luck Andy! :bounce: Let's win some decent matches and gain confidence. :)

andyroxmysox12191
03-07-2005, 11:25 PM
Amen to the title :worship:
Cmon Andy! :banana: Let's win this whole thing and get some confidence in you :D

Golfnduck
03-08-2005, 12:19 AM
I hope we start seeing the old Andy again. Hopefully he and Dean get someone to help his mental game. When I got the message from Carole that the match was going to a 5th set, I automatically thought "Advantage Andy". What an ass!!!!! He made me soooo mad.

Golfnduck
03-08-2005, 12:21 AM
Tytta, I love your new avatar and signature :hug:
Scream hard for me and my team. We're in 3rd after the first day, 10 shots out of the lead with two days left.

aceit
03-08-2005, 12:23 AM
:worship: Nothing more to say. :)

Deboogle!.
03-08-2005, 12:24 AM
Andy is pretty good at moving on from tough losses, he seems to be able to bounce back. Let's hope he can do it again really quickly.

Tytta!.
03-08-2005, 12:29 AM
MOMMA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am already screaming :banana: :banana:

Kick ass!!!

superpinkone37
03-08-2005, 01:20 AM
hmmmmm....nothing to say about this I guess. I think I am gonna go to IW this weekend, like just get grounds passes or something cuz I don't have much money after this past weekend. Either Andy will be totally fired up, or he will be down cuz of this past loss. It will probably be the send one unfortunately, but I hope not. Oh, and I see a few of you are using the same pic of Andy and Max. That kid is so cute, we saw him after the match with his mom I am guessing and he is adorable lol

thelma
03-08-2005, 01:23 AM
Go Andy! :bounce:

Please! :hysteric:

Havok
03-08-2005, 01:26 AM
Semis at least please! :)

williaer
03-08-2005, 05:50 AM
lets go andy!!!!!! please kick some butt (preferably the butts of seeded players. i.e FEDERER)

imagine... the final... roddick vs. safin... played shirtless :drool:
but andy wins of course!

so come on andy, win some good matches and regain some confidence!

J. Corwin
03-08-2005, 07:32 AM
I wonder if it's good for Andy to face Ivan again at IW? :scratch:

On one hand, he just lost to him and his game doesn't really match up well to Ivan's...

on the other hand, he can exact some revenge right away :devil:

:shrug:

Iheartandy&roger
03-08-2005, 07:54 AM
Go andy go andy go go go!

Neely
03-08-2005, 08:24 AM
Kiefer will also be a seed so both he & Andy will have first round byes and can't meet in the second round either.
oh thanks for that :yeah: I didn't remember that we have 32 seeds, it's a HUGE Masters :)

Becarina
03-08-2005, 08:29 AM
I think Andy will be okay...but just to be safe, I prayed to Carlos ;)

blosson
03-08-2005, 12:57 PM
Let's hope Andy gets a nice draw and only meets Roger in the final.

jasmine(usa)
03-08-2005, 01:22 PM
imagine... the final... roddick vs. safin... played shirtless :drool:
but andy wins of course!
That's the best idea I've heard all day!;)

blosson
03-08-2005, 02:15 PM
That's the best idea I've heard all day!;)

but then it means that either Andy or Safin will have to beat Roger in the semis...ok let's just pray to Carlos.

smucav
03-08-2005, 03:48 PM
oh thanks for that :yeah: I didn't remember that we have 32 seeds, it's a HUGE Masters :) If no one else drops out, Kiefer should be #30 (Nadal is out).

I'm fully expecting to see Hyung-Taik Lee in Andy's section of the draw.

Deboogle!.
03-08-2005, 03:50 PM
I'm fully expecting to see Hyung-Taik Lee in Andy's section of the draw.

I hope so ;)

smucav
03-08-2005, 04:44 PM
Here are the number of entry points the top 10 players will be defending:
1 Roger Federer 500
2 Lleyton Hewitt 35
3 Andy Roddick 125
4 Marat Safin 35
5 Guillermo Coria 125
6 Tim Henman 350
7 Carlos Moya 5
8 Gaston Gaudio 35
9 David Nalbandian 0
10 Andre Agassi 225

Basically Andy needs to go two rounds further than Hewitt to get back to #2 before Miami.

Deboogle!.
03-08-2005, 04:48 PM
ouch, I think Tim and Andre are gonna get hurt here. Lleyton will probably do well, so I wouldn't count on Andy getting #2 back for a while.

MissFairy
03-08-2005, 05:00 PM
deb, whats with the negativity (umm...or realism??) lets at least pretend, until its closer to miami..please??? *gets down and begs*
im waaay too sad for me to think about him staying number 3 for yonks :sad:

Deboogle!.
03-08-2005, 05:05 PM
But if Lleyton does well it doesn't matter what Andy does, thats what I'm saying. if Lleyton makes the Semis or final (I'm way too lazy to do the math right now) or something like that, then Andy could win the title and still be #3.

MissFairy
03-08-2005, 05:10 PM
:ras: ive decided i dont like him :lol:
ick, he made a 'no compromise' promise to himself to make his ranking number one, maybe he was jumping the gun a bit, shoulda gone for keep it at two huh? :rolleyes:
anywho, i just want him to get a good result, keep his head held high
hes done nothing he should be ashamed of :)

jasmine(usa)
03-08-2005, 05:13 PM
but then it means that either Andy or Safin will have to beat Roger in the semis...ok let's just pray to Carlos.Yes, we'll pray, but I'm praying for Andy.

Deboogle!.
03-08-2005, 05:13 PM
ick, he made a 'no compromise' promise to himself to make his ranking number one, maybe he was jumping the gun a bit, shoulda gone for keep it at two huh? :rolleyes:

Y'know, I read that article that said the 'no compromise' thing for his wristband was also about getting back to #1.... I don't really buy that. His press agent people probably just put that in the press release to make it sound cool. It just doesn't seem like that's the way Andy thinks, y'know? But hey if it's true and if he thinks wearing that on a wristband will help, then he should go for it. But I had assumed that 'no compromise' meant no compromise for the kids his foundation helps. Makes more sense to me, but :shrug:

MissFairy
03-08-2005, 05:18 PM
yeah i thought it was only to do with the kids too, kinda makes more sense. thats what all the ones out there now are for, like the nike one? with baller written on it?
i guess its a god selling point, putting something like that in i agree.
but i spose it doesnt matter much, as long as it happens!

tangerine_dream
03-08-2005, 05:55 PM
I agree Miss Fairy. The negativity is getting to be a bit much here. I know the loss is a disappointment but DC is over and done with. Time to look forward to IW and send good vibes Andy's way. :banana:

Deboogle!.
03-08-2005, 06:01 PM
:lol: I wasn't being negative, I was merely stating the fact that if Lleyton does really well at IW, Andy cannot be #2 no matter what he does. That's not being negative, that's stating a mathematical fact (But like I said, I haven't done the exact math to figure out what would have to happen - and I don't feel like doing it either :p)

I'm negative enough, don't pin it on me when I'm NOT being negative :haha:

MissFairy
03-08-2005, 06:04 PM
sorry deb :hug: i didnt mean you in particular even (although you could pretend on counting on andy kicking hewitts butt out of the #2 spot :lol: ) its just alot of circulating negative energy around andy, when in all honesty he doesnt deserve half of it.

but yeah i think even without the maths backing it up, it sounds about right, kinda depressing :ras:

Havok
03-08-2005, 06:25 PM
Always enjoy this month. IW then Miami right away, fun times, and finally get back tennis on tv.:)

Deboogle!.
03-08-2005, 06:26 PM
Naldo, there's a nice article on Jelena at tennisreporters.net - you should check it out:)

Nimomunz
03-08-2005, 07:22 PM
Andy needs to move on i've always felt he put far too much emphasis on Davis cup and I'M AN AMERICAN!!! :angel: No pressure Andy you dont have to win IW just do beta than how you've been playing. *spoken like a true Safin fan* The ups will be there and the downs will be there. :)

P.S. Yes i do Guga do you? :p

Havok
03-08-2005, 07:33 PM
I read it, thanks for the heads up though.;) Star better be there rooting for Jelena (TANK). :banana:

smucav
03-08-2005, 10:24 PM
The draw is out:
http://www.menstennisforums.com/showpost.php?p=1327523&postcount=1

Andy has a bye in first round; the winner of Qualifer v. Fernando Verdasco in the second round.

Tytta!.
03-08-2005, 10:31 PM
This draw looks ok for me :confused:

The worst name till semis is Pimpim though

blosson
03-08-2005, 10:34 PM
andy is in the same quarter as pim pim. revenge time!

blosson
03-08-2005, 10:35 PM
F gonzalez got the better of him at the olympics too

Tytta!.
03-08-2005, 10:39 PM
:lol: blosson!
But then again Pimpim is recovering from his shoulder problem so on paper Andy should win... But with his lack of confidence I really don't know :awww:

smucav
03-08-2005, 10:40 PM
This draw looks ok for me :confused:

The worst name till semis is Pimpim thoughJoachim & Lopez have played two incredibly close matches already this year. Lopez would really like to shed his choker label by finally beating Joachim.

F gonzalez got the better of him at the olympics tooGonzalez's style is so risky, it's hard to tell how he's going to play on any given day.

Tytta!.
03-08-2005, 10:49 PM
Joachim & Lopez have played two incredibly close matches already this year. Lopez would really like to shed his choker label by finally beating Joachim.

Yeah I thought about that, but I'm just thinking about the "worst" possibility...

Gonzalez's style is so risky, it's hard to tell how he's going to play on any given day.

I totally agree :yeah:

blosson
03-08-2005, 10:54 PM
so let's hope feliciano [hehe sorry, I've just being photoshoping a naked picture of him so it's so funny even to mention his name!] beats pim pim.

and about GOD carlos?

Deboogle!.
03-08-2005, 11:25 PM
Andy's got a tough little quarter but it could be worse, i guess. Novak could be tough if he finds his form, PimPim is always tough, Moya could be tough, Gonzo, etc. plenty of dangers in there. But technically speaking Andy should be able to defend his points at least.

Tytta!.
03-08-2005, 11:29 PM
Carlos is playing badly lately :sad: Gonzo and Pimpim I agree, but I don't really think Jiri would be THAT tough...

smucav
03-09-2005, 12:52 AM
Carlos is playing badly lately :sad: Gonzo and Pimpim I agree, but I don't really think Jiri would be THAT tough...Moya really has not been playing well on hard courts for quite a while and hasn't been that hot on clay either (losing twice on clay to Puerta).

Novak has fallen a level the last few years: he looked terrible losing to Malisse in Delray final.

It would be fun seeing Andy play Olivier Rochus.

Tytta!.
03-09-2005, 01:00 AM
Well yeah but I like Ollie :crying2:

Deboogle!.
03-09-2005, 01:06 AM
Aw, Ollie...

Ollie could definitely give Andy trouble, but on an outdoor hardcourt in the US I'd have to like Andy's chances. Heck Verdasco could give Andy trouble in his first match (depending on who the qualifier is).

But Andy should definitely still make the QF if not the SF.

Jennay
03-09-2005, 01:54 AM
Verdasco! :bigcry: :bigcry:

Deboogle!.
03-09-2005, 01:55 AM
BUT JEN!!!! That might mean we'd get to watch him on tv if he plays Andy!!!!!!

PS go to the TV thread and download the video and watch AARON talk about Andy :hearts:

Fumus
03-09-2005, 02:00 AM
I am going to cry if I have to watch Andy lose again..so I don't think I am going to watch this tournament

Jennay
03-09-2005, 02:03 AM
BUT JEN!!!! That might mean we'd get to watch him on tv if he plays Andy!!!!!!

PS go to the TV thread and download the video and watch AARON talk about Andy :hearts:
Oh yeah! WE GET TO SEE NANDO lose!!!! :bounce:

I did! Aaron is so great.. :inlove:

Deboogle!.
03-09-2005, 02:05 AM
Well we don't know it's him, yet. There are a lot of great players in the qualifying draw who could potentially take him out... we shall see!

Jennay
03-09-2005, 02:09 AM
If he knows what is good for him, he'll play Andy so we can see him on television. :)

Deboogle!.
03-09-2005, 02:12 AM
Well, we also might not get Andy's match on tv...In fact, it's unlikely.

Andy will either play Saturday or Sunday - no coverage on Saturday and only 2 hours on Sunday. So if Andy's at 1pm local time on Sunday we'll see him, otherwise not.

Havok
03-09-2005, 02:13 AM
Nice looking draw. QF at least, then Moya/PimPim in the quarters. He should take both of them out (Moya being Moya and PimPim he needs revenge and plus he's coming off an injury). If Novak mysteriously finds his form in a matter of days, he could possibly take a set off Andy. Davydenko/Gonzalez as his 4r opponent is a tough one, but he should still be able to get through it without a scare (straight sets). I see the QF looking like this:

(1) Federer vs. (23) Johansson/(1)Nalbandian
(4) Safin vs. (18) Youzhny
(7) Moya vs. (3) Roddick
(9) Agassi vs. (2) Hewitt/(16)Haas/(28) Hrbaty (all 3 have a realistic shot, tough choice to make:p)

Havok
03-09-2005, 02:14 AM
Good thing is, Andre and Andy are on the same side of the draw, so *gasp* we might get to see some wta when they have off days, though don't count on it.:(

Deboogle!.
03-09-2005, 02:16 AM
haha true, plus no Williams sisters. I wanna see Kim play again!

Sorry about Jelena, Naldo :hug:

Havok
03-09-2005, 02:18 AM
There's no way Kim will get on tv, unless she plays Man in the 4th round. *sigh* Jelena, expected an immediate loss so her win over Osterloh was very exciting. Her 6-0 tank after fucking up the first set is nothing new, she's known for her tanking fits so whatever not shocked.

Leena
03-09-2005, 02:20 AM
Everyone here called it when it was 6-0 in the 1st set TB. :p

smucav
03-09-2005, 02:21 AM
Aw, Ollie...

Ollie could definitely give Andy trouble, but on an outdoor hardcourt in the US I'd have to like Andy's chances. Rochus only upsets players more than 10 inches taller than him (Safin, Flip, Ancic, Moya). Since Andy is under 6'3", he should survive Olivier the Giant Killer. ;)

Last year, so many of the WTA "stars" were out, they only showed one WTA match (Henin v. somebody) other than the final. Quite a contrast from previous years when they showed way more women than men. (Pretty even in subsequent events since 2004 IW though.)

Deboogle!.
03-09-2005, 02:22 AM
Rochus only upsets players more than 10 inches taller than him (Safin, Flip, Ancic, Moya). Since Andy is under 6'3", he should survive Olivier the Giant Killer. ;)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Andy beat him 4 and 4 the only other time they played (Basel 2003)

Breakaway
03-09-2005, 02:39 AM
Well I hope Andy can win this, at least get his mind of the Davis Cup match. :)

Go Andy! :bounce:

smucav
03-09-2005, 02:49 AM
If anyone is upset about the draw, blame James Blake: he was the player who assisted with the draw ceremony in Indian Wells.

Fumus
03-09-2005, 02:51 AM
In order for this tourny to be a success, what does Andy need to do? Win? beat a top 10 player? Are the expectation lower now because of recent results?

J. Corwin
03-09-2005, 02:56 AM
For me, I think it's him defending at least his QF points. :cool:

superpinkone37
03-09-2005, 03:19 AM
hmmm...tough draw for Andy, especially now that I would guess his confidence is not at an all time high. Hopefully he gets over it and can play well here.

superpinkone37
03-09-2005, 03:22 AM
Rafa isnt playing????!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nooooooooooooooooooo :bigcry: How am I supposed to stalk him? My goal was to see Rafa and Marat this upcoming weekend and Rafa wont even be there :sad:

Marina 1203
03-09-2005, 06:48 AM
ANDY PLEASE WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
FORWARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
WE IN YOU TRUST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tangerine_dream
03-09-2005, 03:51 PM
I'm not upset about this draw. I think it's a good one and these are exactly the kind of players Andy needs to play often and not cruise through a bunch of nobodies. :yeah:

But I'm more excited about the return of Justine! Hurray! She's finally back :woohoo:

Deboogle!.
03-09-2005, 03:53 PM
I agree, tangy :)

:secret: justine's not coming back til Miami ;)

Black Adam
03-09-2005, 05:07 PM
:lol: blosson!
But then again Pimpim is recovering from his shoulder problem so on paper Andy should win... But with his lack of confidence I really don't know :awww:
I would be surprised if he gets past Santoro.....the guy's game ruins lots of big servers...Marat knows a bit of this :lol:

Black Adam
03-09-2005, 05:09 PM
H e really needs his confidence :yeah:

MissFairy
03-09-2005, 05:09 PM
i love santoros style of play :hearts:
and when he plays doubles with llodra, yay i love it!

andys draws not awful, its good he hasnt got really easy matches, he needs to build up his confidence. this is sure to help :)

Black Adam
03-09-2005, 05:14 PM
I want Andy end to surprise us and show and play stunning tennis when nobody expects it à la Safin ;) :yeah:
I really want him to defend Miami ;)

Fumus
03-09-2005, 08:08 PM
I don't get it, what's so tough about Andy's draw? Andy's draw is great!!

I mean who does he have in his quarter...Oafhannson, Carlos "I'm your bitch on hard court" Moya? Then in his half the worst semifinal he has to worry about is Hewitt or Agassi. I am praying Andy plays Hewitt...I want him to get the Hewitt HC monkey off his back...plus that would really do something to restore his confidence (i.e. beating a top 10 player).

blosson
03-09-2005, 08:45 PM
Me too, I can't wait to see Andy getting revenge on Hewitt. I can't wait to see Marat playing Roger in the other half too. I hope all 4 are in the semifinals just like it was in AO 2005 - which was actually a dream semifinal with all 4 top players.

zoltan83
03-09-2005, 09:13 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Andy beat him 4 and 4 the only other time they played (Basel 2003)

I would be great to see a match between Andy and Oli :) It would be interesting (especially that Oli is amazing this year :) )

:woohoo: For Kim come-back... can't wait the come-back of Justine too.

blosson
03-09-2005, 09:34 PM
This draw is very interesting. Ivan is in the same quarter as Roger! Let's see if he can cope with The Fed once again or will he just disapear in the background like any other player who meets Roger in a row.

blosson
03-09-2005, 09:42 PM
this was last years thophy... is that a fish?

it should go well with the boat roger won a week ago.

http://www.atptennis.com/shared/photos/150X200/federer_iw_trophy.jpg :)

Tytta!.
03-09-2005, 09:45 PM
ROGERER OMG!!!!!!!!!! :hearts:

blosson
03-09-2005, 09:50 PM
found the boat...

http://www.atptennis.com/shared/photos/150X200/federer_dubai_trophy.jpg

aren't these new throphies somehow too 'creative'?

Tytta!.
03-09-2005, 09:52 PM
If they're in Rogerer's hands I don't care :hearts:

blosson
03-09-2005, 09:56 PM
Would you care if the fish one ends up in Andy's hands in about 10 days?

smucav
03-09-2005, 09:58 PM
this was last years thophy... is that a fish? It's the symbol for Pacific Life; they have a jumping whale in all their commercials (and previously had the infamous underwater tennis match commercials with Flip & Haas & a whale).

http://www.pacificlifeopen.com/global/styles/indianwells/graphics/plomast_leftlogo_dk.jpg

Tytta!.
03-09-2005, 10:01 PM
Would you care if the fish one ends up in Andy's hands in about 10 days?

Just if he's a good boy ;)

Havok
03-09-2005, 10:42 PM
Blah Christine, not even the slightest fan of her, but I really want her back. If we can have Christine/Kim/Hantuchova/Dokic back to their top forms, all the Russians (except Sharapova) will be kicked out of the top 10 and there will be such good matches.:banana: We need some serious rivalries to start happening. We do have the Serena/Sharapova rivalry going on which is fun to watch, but it ends there. RUS vs RUS sucks major ass, Venus is shit vs top 10 players and needs to improve before any sort of rivalry would start, and Lindsay sucks in big important matches that she's supposed to win/push it to 3 sets.

superpinkone37
03-10-2005, 02:04 AM
If I saw the draw right, HotMario and Ivan will have to play each other most likely very early...that should be intersting.

Deboogle!.
03-10-2005, 02:10 AM
Yup, you saw it right.

:o

am&a
03-10-2005, 02:15 AM
hot mario had better kick some croat ass.

superpinkone37
03-10-2005, 02:38 AM
Well...its possible that he kicks his own ass...but I am guessing you mean the NotHot Croat Ass

am&a
03-10-2005, 02:43 AM
well, i wouldn't be that surprised if hot mario kicks his own ass. his legs are long enough after all. d:

Deboogle!.
03-10-2005, 02:44 AM
Okay, girls, this thread is about Andy finding confidence and doing well in Indian Wells, not HotMario

:p:p

superpinkone37
03-10-2005, 02:45 AM
Yes they are. I like long legs. Actually I like all of HotMario. Okay, I'm done.

But HotMario is choketastic...so we never know.

EDIT: Didnt see Deb's last post before posting this so technically I did not continue the HotMario discussion...So um, how about that Andy and finding his confidence? Um, yeah :p

am&a
03-10-2005, 02:47 AM
Okay, girls, this thread is about Andy finding confidence and doing well in Indian Wells, not HotMario

:p:phello! every thread is about hot mario! what are you thinking?!?

d:

superpinkone37
03-10-2005, 02:48 AM
As long as we don't start talking about some people then I think we are okay in here....

am&a
03-10-2005, 02:49 AM
As long as we don't start talking about some people then I think we are okay in here....don't you realise that by saying that you've started talking about some people? d:

superpinkone37
03-10-2005, 02:53 AM
Ok fine...that conversation had been ended then :p

am&a
03-10-2005, 02:54 AM
*laughs at your avatar* (:

superpinkone37
03-10-2005, 03:09 AM
*laughs at your av, then sees mine and laughs harder* (:

am&a
03-10-2005, 03:12 AM
*laughs at your avatar, drools at my avatar, laughs at yours some more* (:

superpinkone37
03-10-2005, 03:20 AM
*sees SAVE THE WHALES and laughs out loud again, then sees my av and laughs some more*

Deboogle!.
sigh.

superpinkone37
awww :hug:

am&a
03-10-2005, 03:23 AM
*hands andy some confidence and gets the thread back on topic* d:

smucav
03-10-2005, 04:04 AM
http://www.tennisnews.com/exclusive.php?pID=4251
Exclusive: Men's Preview, Week of March 7
Men's Look Forward: Indian Wells

There will, it appears, be no skipping out on the men's side.

The women's field at Indian Wells isn't bad, really, but you'd never know that it's the seventh-biggest event on the Tour. For the men, it's not a problem. The top 17 men are here. #18 Nicolas Massu is out -- but he's hurt. That leaves Rafael Nadal, #30 last week, as the top player to voluntarily skip the event. Hard to complain about a tournament with 28 of the top 30 in the field!

Though it's not exactly what you'd call a balanced draw. #1 seed Roger Federer, after all, is supposed to face Gaston Gaudio in the quarterfinal, while #2 Lleyton Hewitt would go against Guillermo Coria, #3 Andy Roddick deals with Carlos Moya, and #4 seed Marat Safin is drawn to face last year's finalist Tim Henman. But there is no cure for that except seeding by surfaces.

Because the field is so strong, we of course have a lot of fairly noteworthy unseeded players -- guys like Mardy Fish, Hicham Arazi (who will finally be making his first appearance of the year), Xavier Malisse (though he could yet be promoted to a seed), Rainer Schuettler (assuming he's still noteworthy after his horrid 2004), Florian Mayer, Juan Carlos Ferrero (who, stunningly, will soon be having to qualify for events such as this), Fabrice Santoro, and Sjeng Schalken.

The wildcard list is rather fascinating. The organizers couldn't find room for Wayne Arthurs in the list -- but they did award direct entry to Mark Philippoussis (who, frankly, would be better off playing qualifying, where he might actually have a competitive match one of these days). Gael Monfils earned his almost obligatory direct entry. James Blake was given a well-deserved free admission. Other wildcards went to Alex Kuznetsov and Donald Young.

Noteworthy Early Round Matches

Gambill vs. Fish. Two big strong Americans. Both have been Top 20; neither is near that ranking now. On the whole, Fish is in better form -- but he can't seem to stay healthy....

Berdych vs. Arazi. A horrid assignment for Arazi on his return to action -- but if anyone can drive Berdych crazy, he can.

Bjorkman vs. Labadze. They're both slumping. This is a big match for Labadze, who was last year's semifinalist. But Bjorkman is good at dealing with big strong serves; this looks like trouble for the Georgian.

Malisse vs. Mirnyi. Strength versus strength: The Malisse return versus the Beast's serve. The surface ought to favor Malisse -- but this is Malisse we're talking about, so who knows?

Enqvist vs. Beck. Extreme power versus extreme speed. Beck is in much better form, but this surface may be too slow for him to really do damage to Enqvist.

Ferrero vs. Andreev. There is only one Masters where Ferrero has a losing record: This one. He has, in fact, only one win in four tries. Don't expect much.

Schalken vs. Llodra. Sjeng Schalken in Davis Cup seemed to show that he was finally back at full strength. If so, Llodra had better be ready....

The Rankings

Once upon a time, the author owned a Newton message pad. (Don't say it; it seemed like a good idea at the time.) The internal solitaire game had an interesting habit: If you won a high enough fraction of the games (roughly one game in five over a span of 150 games), it would arbitrarily and capriciously cut your score in half.

Maybe we need to do that to Roger Federer. If we did, he would still be #4 in the world. As it is, he's #1, and an extremely strong #1 -- even if he fails completely in his Indian Wells title defence, and Lleyton Hewitt wins the whole thing, he'll still be #1 by more than the equivalent of a whole Slam.

In other words, there won't be any motion at the top of the rankings.

There might be some at #2, though. Hewitt (who has won this event before) leads Andy Roddick by more than 200 safe points, meaning that Roddick needs at least a final to get to #2, but it could happen. Indeed, since they meet in the semifinal, they could meet with the #2 ranking on the line: If Hewitt wins that match, he's #2; if Roddick wins it and the tournament, he is #2.

Roddick is under at least some pressure from below, too. He's about 400 safe points ahead of Marat Safin -- but if Safin wins the whole thing and Roddick doesn't make the quarterfinal, then Safin is #3 and Roddick #4.

There will be no crossing the thousand point gap between #4 Safin and #5 Coria. But we have a real contest for the #5 spot. #5 Coria has quarterfinalist points to defend, #6 Henman has finalist points, #7 Moya has nothing, #8 Gaudio has Round of 32 points. That means that Coria's lead over Moya is only a bit more than 100 points. Gaudio is 50 points behind that, Henman almost 100 points behind that. Still, those four could end up in any order, and David Nalbandian -- who has nothing to defend -- could also get into the act.

#9 Andre Agassi, with semifinalist points to defend, is in danger of once again falling out of the Top Ten. We show him only about 40 points ahead of Joachim Johansson in safe points. If he loses before Johansson, he's going to be #11.

Interestingly, no one from #11 to #20 had more than 75 points to defend; we could see a lot of motion in that range -- or almost nine.

Three guys below #20 have more than 100 points to defend. #23 Juan Ignacio Chela has quarterfinalist points to defend, and could fall below #30 with an early loss. James Blake also has quarterfinalist points, and he's already down to #151; he could fall 70 or so places with a bad result. And then there is 2004 semifinalist Labadze. He comes in at #72, with almost half his points from this one result; a first round loss would leave him at around #140.

Key Matches

As we saw above, the two players with the most on the line are Blake and Labadze. Labadze faced a tough route consisting of Bjorkman, then Thomas Johansson, then David Nalbandian. Sounds like there will be at least one Match of the Day in there somewhere.

Blake's path isn't much better: Alberto Martin, then Nikolay Davydenko, then Fernando Gonzalez. That's enough to tire almost anybody out....

We'd also note that Roger Federer, though he leads the Race, is still somewhat lacking in required events points this year. If he wants to hold his top spot, he'll have to change that. His route isn't bad in the early rounds: Fish or Gambill, then #25 seed Radek Stepanek. Then comes -- believe it -- another meeting with #13 seed Ivan Ljubicic (unless Ljubicic loses to countryman and doubles partner Mario Ancic). Then, theoretically, Gaston Gaudio, though one-time nemesis David Nalbandian might be a better bet. Then -- Marat Safin, who handled him in Australia.

The bottom half semifinal we've already mentioned: Roddick versus Hewitt, with the #2 ranking possibly on the line.

Looking at the contest for the #10 spot, between Agassi and Joachim Johansson, we note that Agassi's path is Starace - #21 Pavel - #5 Coria - #2 Hewitt - #3 Roddick; Johansson's is Santoro - #24 Lopez - #7 Moya - #3 Roddick - #2 Hewitt. Looks like it's reasonably fair; neither is likely to be too thrilled.

A fuller version of this story is found in Pro Tour News, one of the sections of Bob Larson’s Daily Tennis. Details on how to subscribe are found elsewhere on this web site.

J. Corwin
03-10-2005, 04:31 AM
Thanks for the preview! :yeah:

Fumus
03-10-2005, 02:37 PM
Key Matches:

Andy vs. himself

Who will win?

Will it be "The smart, confident" Andy or "the going for winners for no reason, can't covert a bp/set point unless someone dfs it to him" Andy.

smucav
03-10-2005, 04:24 PM
Pacific Life Open TV Coverage

A total of 44.5 hours of Pacific Life Open action will be televised on The Tennis Channel, ESPN and ESPN2, including 42.5 hours of live coverage.

The Tennis Channel*
Eastern Time
Saturday, March 12 TTC 1pm – 8pm Live Early Round Coverage
Saturday, March 12 TTC 9:30pm-1am Live Early Round Coverage

ESPN & ESPN2
Eastern Time
Sunday, March 13 ESPN2 4pm – 6pm Live Early Round Coverage
Monday, March 14 ESPN2 5pm – 7pm Live Early Round Coverage
Monday, March 14 ESPN2 10pm – 12am Live Early Round Coverage
Tuesday, March 15 ESPN2 5pm – 7pm Live Early Round Coverage
Tuesday, March 15 ESPN2 10pm – 12am Live Early Round Coverage
Wednesday, March 16 ESPN 3pm – 5pm Live Women's Quarterfinal
Wednesday, March 16 ESPN2 5pm – 7pm Live Early Round Coverage
Wednesday, March 16 ESPN2 10pm – 12am Live Women's Quarterfinal
Thursday, March 17 ESPN 3pm – 5pm Live Women's Quarterfinal/Men's RD of 16
Thursday, March 17 ESPN2 5pm – 7pm Live Men's Quarterfinal
Thursday, March 17 ESPN2 10pm – 12am Live Men's Quarterfinal
Friday, March 18 ESPN 3pm – 5pm Live Women's Semifinal #1
Friday, March 18 ESPN2 5pm – 7pm Live WTA Semifinal #2
Friday, March 18 ESPN 10:30pm-12am Live Men's Quarterfinal
Saturday, March 19 ESPN 3pm – 5pm Live Women's Final
Sunday, March 20 ESPN2 2:30am-4:30am Delay Men's Semifinal
Sunday, March 20 ESPN2 2:30pm-5pm Live Men's Final (Best of 5 sets)

The Tennis Channel will be broadcasting matches on Saturday, March 12, only.

http://www.pacificlifeopen.com/en/news/new_archive/broadcast.asp

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tvlistings/scheduleWeek?date=20050313&sport=TN

http://www.sportsmediainc.com/tennisweek/index.cfm?func=showarticle&newsid=12570&bannerregion=
Radio Tennis.com Offers Indian Wells Web Cast
By Tennis Week
03/10/2005

RadioTennis.com will produce a live web cast the first three days of the Pacific Life Open from Indian Wells, California. Radio Tennis.com begins its coverage of opening-round men's and women's matches on Friday at 2 p.m. Eastern time.

Radio Tennis.com continues its coverage on Saturday starting at 6 a.m. Eastern and concludes its three-day coverage on Sunday at 6 a.m. Eastern.

"The Pacific Life Open is one of the largest and most important tennis tournaments in the world," Radio Tennis.com's Ken Thomas said. "Over 260,000 spectators will attend this event and all the big hitters are showing up for this one. Agassi, Davenport, Federer, Sharapova, Roddick, Clijsters, Hewitt, Navratilova, Henman and Safin will all be there. This is a huge event and RadioTennis.com is thrilled to be bringing this level of tennis to our global listening audience."

Radio Tennis.com's expanded weekend coverage will offer listeners about 30 hours of tennis — all easily accessible from the comfort of your PC. Radio Tennis.com is a free service.

"Our plan is to begin live web casting this Friday with the evening session and then cover both the morning and evening sessions on Saturday and Sunday. We expect to be on live for approximately 30 hours within this three-day period," Thomas said. "What this means to our listeners, is that they can pretty much log on to Radio Tennis.com anytime this weekend, and expect to hear live action from the Pacific Life Open."

Radio Tennis.com's Indian Wells web cast schedule is as follows:

Friday, March 11th men's and women's first-round action starting at 2 p.m. Eastern time.
Saturday, March 12th men's and women's second-round action starting at 6 a.m. Eastern time.
Sunday, March 13th men's and women's second-round action starting at 6 a.m. Eastern time.

Deboogle!.
03-10-2005, 07:56 PM
Here's AR.com's preview :)
-----------------------------------
Indian Wells Preview
By Sarah Alvanipour
2005-03-10
The sun is blistering over the palm trees lining Miles Avenue as the snow-capped Santa Anna Mountains and lush greens provide a scenic backdrop to the desert oasis known as Indian Wells.

It is that time of year again when this small resort town of just 4400 becomes a tennis Mecca of sorts, playing host to the top men and women tennis players in the world and drawing thousands of tourists and fans alike.

AR.com is live onsite at the Pacific Life Open, the first Masters Series event of the year, which takes place from Friday March 7-Sunday March 20.

The men’s draw was recently released, seeding Andy third in the 96-man-draw just behind top seed Roger Federer and No. 2 seed Lleyton Hewitt. Andy has received a bye into the second round and will face the winner of the match between Fernando Verdasco and a qualifier.

This is Andy’s third consecutive appearance at the Pacific Life Open, having reached the quarterfinals in the last two years. Last year, he fell to Tim Henman in a tightly contested three set battle 7-6 (6), 6-7 (1), 6-3. He will attempt to better that result in 2005.

After taping the Tonight Show on Monday night, Andy headed to the area to begin his preparations for the tournament. He is said to be good spirits, enjoying the California sun, and ready for action. Andy has been practicing daily with his coach Dean Goldfine to prepare himself on the outdoor hard surface.

Stamina and conditioning will be the keys to success as temperatures reach a blistering 90 degrees today and into the weekend. With an explosive game, the heat and quick court surface will likely play in Andy’s favor.

Men’s singles action is set to begin tomorrow, although seeded players will not begin competition until Saturday or Sunday. Andy will still be busy on Friday, however, joining an all-star cast, which includes eight other top-ten players, in an exhibition to benefit charity. The event will feature both singles and doubles matches and begins at 6 pm tomorrow night. For tickets, please call 1-800-999-1585 or visit www.pacificlifeopen.com.

The Tennis Channel will also be on hand to film the event as well as behind-the-scenes extras. Broadcast time will be announced at a later date.

For more on the Pacific Life Open and Andy’s bid for the first TMS event of 2005, stay tuned to AR.com for the latest.

Good luck, Andy!

andyroxmysox12191
03-10-2005, 09:07 PM
I just can't wait to see my tennis again :banana:

Deboogle!.
03-11-2005, 02:44 AM
Verdasco will face the qualifier Odesnik... which Nando should win, IMO. So Andy plays the winner between that match, and I don't see it scheduled for tomorrow, so it'll probably be Saturday which means Andy will be on Sunday. Let's hope for 1pm local time so it'll be on tv:p

BTW, why is Lleyton the ONLY member of the top 10 who is not participating in the tsunami thing tomorrow night... that's so poor. :retard::o:o:o

Edit: There are pics of Andy at Getty... he gave a press conference today :) He looks GREAT.

smucav
03-11-2005, 03:13 AM
Verdasco will face the qualifier Odesnik... which Nando should win, IMO. So Andy plays the winner between that match, and I don't see it scheduled for tomorrow, so it'll probably be Saturday which means Andy will be on Sunday.Odesnik v. Verdasco is the 2nd match of the Friday day session on Court 4.

Anik
03-11-2005, 04:14 AM
http://image2.sina.com.cn/ty/t/p/2005-03-11/U354P6T12D1443171F44DT20050311102040.jpg

http://image2.sina.com.cn/ty/t/p/2005-03-11/U354P6T12D1443145F44DT20050311100802.jpg

Deboogle!.
03-11-2005, 04:15 AM
Like I said, he looks GREAT!!!!!!!!

Thanks Anik! :hug:

heya
03-11-2005, 04:28 AM
Stamina and conditioning will be the keys to success as temperatures reach a blistering 90 degrees today and into the weekend. :o
how ironic.
Good looks hide reality.

Both the media & Andy think he was demolished by great talents whose games don't match up well with his game.
SARCASM: Oh no! He didn't lose because he gave up mentally/stopped running/isn't very fit. He lost because he had no talent. :rolleyes:

A year and a half ago, he was the best player in the world.
Damn idiot's love life isn't the only thing that's useless.
He's double faulting/being passive for no reason. Nobody tells him, obviously.

He can't hit fast serves/groundstrokes anymore...loses serve and stopped caring.
I'D love to see Robin Williams heckling him at matches.

Givenchy
03-11-2005, 02:37 PM
INTERVIEWS

On Davis Cup: "Tough to swallow, but you have to do your best to put it behind you. Anytime you take a tough loss you try to come back with something to prove, and maybe with a little bit of an edge and sometimes that works for someone's advantage, so that's what I'm hoping for."

"With Davis Cup losses you feel like you let down a lot more people that have the best interest about what you are doing, so it gets that much deeper."

On rivalries: " It's exciting that top four players are consistently doing well in Slams, it makes for an exciting future and we are all pretty young also. You throw in the fact that we all have completely different personalities and are from different areas, so marketabitily-wise, that's a plus too."

"Early on, I remember Breakfast at Wimbledon watching Edberg and Becker, and earlier you had McEnroe and Connors and the whole wave of the American guys and a couple of more players. I think it was something that was lost a little bit between 2000 and 2003 when you had a lot of random semifinalists, whereas now you definetely know who your six, seven favorite guys are in a Grand Slam."

Audio: http://www.atptennis.atponline.net/en/common/TrackItA.asp?file=http://wm.atptennis-global.speedera.net/wm.atptennis-global/roddick_iw4.wma

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

RODDICK SPEAKS OUT: At his Thursday press conference, Andy Roddick spoke out on topics ranging from his frustration over last week's Davis Cup loss to the future of 15-year-old American phenom Donald Young.

A guest on "The Tonight Show with Jay Leno" on Monday, Roddick said he asked his agent to "pull the plug" on his guest spot after his five-set loss to Ivan Lubjicic on Sunday in a match that closed out the Croatian victory, "I slept on it and realized I'd be a bit of a brat if I didn't do it," Roddick said. "I didn't feel I deserved to be there."

Later on, Roddick answered questions about the future of American tennis after Andre Agassi retires. A fan of Agassi since his youth days, Roddick said, "Are you sure about that?" after a reporter brought up the probability of his idol retiring in the near future.

"I think everybody will be sad. It'll be the end of an era. Actually about 26 eras. How he's handled himself off the court is something that's pretty special."

http://www.thedesertsun.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050311/EVENTS10/503110345/1002/sports

Deboogle!.
03-11-2005, 03:33 PM
Thanks J.W. :)

Here's one more blurb from the CA Press-Enterprise. Oh and Hewitt took a shot at Andy over the bathroom break during their match. :o
--------------------
Cup Failure Stings Roddick

Andy Roddick isn't having much luck erasing the memories of the U. S. team's first-round Davis Cup loss to Croatia at Carson last weekend. Roddick said Thursday that he had been booked onto "The Tonight Show with Jay Leno" for the Monday after the match and wanted to "pull the plug," but didn't because he didn't want to be thought of as a brat.

Roddick said he's still trying to put both the team's loss and his five-set loss to Ivan Ljubicic in the decisive singles match behind him. But events are conspiring against him. Thursday, for instance, Roddick was practicing on one court and Ljubicic was on the next court.

"I have to talk to the practice-court people," Roddick joked. "I was playing well until he showed up."

Golfnduck
03-11-2005, 04:01 PM
Defend those QF points Andy, a win would be great!!! :bounce:

Deboogle!.
03-11-2005, 04:03 PM
I like what he says in the audio about sometimes after you have a tough loss you go out there and have an edge and really want to prove something. I hope that is the case for him. He needs that EDGE back that he hasn't had in his eyes for a while in these bigger matches and bigger tourneys.

Golfnduck
03-11-2005, 04:06 PM
I agree with you Deb. He doesn't have that fire in his eyes that he did during 2003. That attitude of "I'm going to impose my game on you and kick your ass". He has the attitude of "I'm just going to get the ball back, and hopefully you'll screw up".

Fumus
03-11-2005, 04:27 PM
Roddick was practicing on one court and Ljubicic was on the next court.

"I have to talk to the practice-court people," Roddick joked. "I was playing well until he showed up."

Can you signature?

Deboogle!.
03-11-2005, 04:46 PM
I love Tennis Life's articles - conversational but tough, yet fair, honest, and well-written at the same time.
------------------------------
2005 Pacific Life Open News
By Alix Ramsay | March 10, 2005

Life is not getting any better for Andy Roddick. It has been four days now since he lost to Ivan Ljubicic in the fourth and deciding rubber of the Davis Cup, dumping the US out of the competition in the first round, and still he feels the disappointment as keenly as if he had just walked off court. There is an invisible barrier around him warning off the hapless and the tactless who may try to question him on the events of the past week. Andy isn't happy and he doesn't care who knows it.

That said, he is taking it on the chin. He lost the match, no one else and he is the one who must face the consequences. Quite how devastating those consequences are may have taken him by surprise, but he is doing his best to deal with them.

"With Davis Cup losses you feel like you let down a lot more people," he said. "Selfishly, grand slams are great that way: You feel horrible, you are mad at yourself but when you feel like you let down a lot of people with a vested interest, it just goes a little bit deeper. You just feel a lot lower.

"The guys try their best to pick you up because they've been there before and they know what it feels like. I got nothing but support form my team-mates but that almost makes you feel worse. You almost want someone to come up to you and say "you dumbass". I'd probably agree with them."

Just when he thought that he had hit rock bottom, the Pacific Life Open - a lovely, friendly and hospitable place - took him down one more notch. Trotting out to the practise courts to vent some of his frustration, he looked round to find that he was on the court next to Ljubicic.

"I've got to talk to the practice court desk people," he said, trying desperately to raise a laugh. "I was playing great until he came along. It all just starts running through your mind again."

It did not help that he had to go on national television and relive the misery of the weekend on the Jay Leno show on Monday night. His first instinct was to cancel but after a night's sleep, he thought better of it.

"I talked to my publicist that night and said "pull the plug"," he said. "It's just not something that you want to do. I slept on it and she kind of talked to me the next morning and I realised I'd be a little bit of a brat if I didn't do it. I really wanted them to know that I didn't feel I deserved to be there but at the same time if you make commitments you have to try to honor them and I realised that the next day when I wasn't feeling quite so cynical about everything."

Now his greatest hope is that he can get back on court as soon as possible and start winning again. His first opponent will be either Fernando Verdasco or Wayne Odesnik - and they had better bring a tin hat and some body armor. Angry with himself, furious with his performance on Sunday, he wants to tear someone to shreds.

"Any time you take a tough loss you come back with something to prove and maybe with a little bit of an edge," he said. "Sometimes that can work to your advantage, and that's what I'm hoping for."

MissFairy
03-11-2005, 04:50 PM
hehe Deb, see? he's got an edge now, he even says it! you must be happy :)

him talking about his loss actually breaks my heart :sad:

Deboogle!.
03-11-2005, 04:52 PM
LOL What he says and what he does are two different things. We'll see what happens when he gets a tough match. The winner of Odesnik/Verdasco isn't really what I'd call tough. So we shall see what happens when it's Gonzo or PimPim or Lleyton. We'll see where the edge is then.

Yeah, did you listen to the audio JW posted? sigh.

MissFairy
03-11-2005, 04:56 PM
hmm whenever he loses a big match a la pimpim at flushing meadows, or just now with ivan, it jsut gets to him so much, and its true he doesnt care who knows it.
he makes me teary everytime he talks about how crushed he feels, or how low he feels at that moment in time, i guess its a credit to his communication skills :)

lleyton matches always leave a bitter taste in my mouth, i wonder why? hmm i want him to stop thinking about it in a depressed way, and go back to the place where he was like revenge is the best way to get back. it would be a refreshing change right now

Deboogle!.
03-11-2005, 05:01 PM
i want him to stop thinking about it in a depressed way, and go back to the place where he was like revenge is the best way to get back. it would be a refreshing change right now

Amen.

He's lost a lot of big matches in the past year. Maybe this is the one that broke the camel's back, so to speak, and will get him to turn himself in the right direction. I mean, yes, he needs to put these matches and disappointments behind him, but he can't forget about them. He needs to use them to be motivated, to be angry, to get determined. Forgetting about them will just lead him back to the status quo.

Everyone, including everyone around him, seems to know what's going wrong, what he's doing in the matches, etc. What they haven't been able to figure out is how to fix it so that he can do better the next time. Hopefully one day soon it'll just happen where he'll battle through a big match and that will be the turning point. Hopefully it happens much sooner rather than later. All we can really do is wait and see and keep our fingers crossed:)

MissFairy
03-11-2005, 05:05 PM
*crosses fingers*

i agree that hes seem to have lost his way, not majorly, i dont think what he's doing is majorly wrong by any means. hes getting deep into tournements, and thats great, hes just falling short. the stand out matches, the ones he should be winning, just are painful to look back on. its sad, not awful. Deb, its true, its just going to take time, but its already been a bit of a wait. but i think we're in it for the long haul, and he knows that :) :)

Deboogle!.
03-11-2005, 05:11 PM
Yep, I agree. It's sort of frustrating in one sense because technically, his game is improving so much all the time. I think he and Dean have already, in just a couple months, done a great job - he's doing so many things so much better than even just 6 months or a year ago. You just feel that if his head could come along at the same pace then he'd be winning these matches. I've thought that this is maybe part of the problem. He has these new options in his game, but he's not quite comfortable with them yet. So when a match gets tight, he's not sure what to do anymore. It makes sense to me. In which case, it will just take time til he is more comfortable with his evolving game. Who knows - there are a million possible explanations - maybe Andy doesn't even know himself, maybe he does. I think it's good that he's taking responsibility for it in a sense, saying it was me who screwed this up, it's me who has to fix it, etc.

:shrug: I dunno....

MissFairy
03-11-2005, 05:20 PM
for a while, back maybe towards the middle/end of the 2004 season, i was getting impatient with him. i felt he wasnt feeling his game as well as he had done before, and that to me, just didnt make sense. he was meant to be getting older, understanding his game to greater depth, but it wasnt happening. but then he made the coaching change, and i see it might've been something as simple as just not enjoying what he was doing, and i think he said it was just 'plateauing' or something to that effect.

in terms of spoken feedback on his game, i think hes matured beyond measure, and im really proud of him in that respect. but mentally, just now, he seems a little...i dont really know how to put it, but what you said completely hits home with me. i think that him second guessing his game is new to him. since he was a junior hes always seem to have known where he was going, what he was doing in a match (except from yknow general tweaks that come from turning pro) but right now, he seems a little unsure. it doesnt work for him.

but i guess that why, maybe it is just a case of familiarising himself with this new level of tennis, and just waiting for the day when hes as confident with his volleys etc as he is with his serve and forehand. thatll be the day hes able to step up and win majors again, i think

Fumus
03-11-2005, 06:16 PM
I love Tennis Life's articles - conversational but tough, yet fair, honest, and well-written at the same time.
------------------------------
2005 Pacific Life Open News
By Alix Ramsay | March 10, 2005

Life is not getting any better for Andy Roddick. It has been four days now since he lost to Ivan Ljubicic in the fourth and deciding rubber of the Davis Cup, dumping the US out of the competition in the first round, and still he feels the disappointment as keenly as if he had just walked off court. There is an invisible barrier around him warning off the hapless and the tactless who may try to question him on the events of the past week. Andy isn't happy and he doesn't care who knows it.

That said, he is taking it on the chin. He lost the match, no one else and he is the one who must face the consequences. Quite how devastating those consequences are may have taken him by surprise, but he is doing his best to deal with them.

"With Davis Cup losses you feel like you let down a lot more people," he said. "Selfishly, grand slams are great that way: You feel horrible, you are mad at yourself but when you feel like you let down a lot of people with a vested interest, it just goes a little bit deeper. You just feel a lot lower.

"The guys try their best to pick you up because they've been there before and they know what it feels like. I got nothing but support form my team-mates but that almost makes you feel worse. You almost want someone to come up to you and say "you dumbass". I'd probably agree with them."

Just when he thought that he had hit rock bottom, the Pacific Life Open - a lovely, friendly and hospitable place - took him down one more notch. Trotting out to the practise courts to vent some of his frustration, he looked round to find that he was on the court next to Ljubicic.

"I've got to talk to the practice court desk people," he said, trying desperately to raise a laugh. "I was playing great until he came along. It all just starts running through your mind again."

It did not help that he had to go on national television and relive the misery of the weekend on the Jay Leno show on Monday night. His first instinct was to cancel but after a night's sleep, he thought better of it.

"I talked to my publicist that night and said "pull the plug"," he said. "It's just not something that you want to do. I slept on it and she kind of talked to me the next morning and I realised I'd be a little bit of a brat if I didn't do it. I really wanted them to know that I didn't feel I deserved to be there but at the same time if you make commitments you have to try to honor them and I realised that the next day when I wasn't feeling quite so cynical about everything."

Now his greatest hope is that he can get back on court as soon as possible and start winning again. His first opponent will be either Fernando Verdasco or Wayne Odesnik - and they had better bring a tin hat and some body armor. Angry with himself, furious with his performance on Sunday, he wants to tear someone to shreds.

"Any time you take a tough loss you come back with something to prove and maybe with a little bit of an edge," he said. "Sometimes that can work to your advantage, and that's what I'm hoping for."

Kick Ass Andy...we love you no matter what!

Deboogle!.
03-11-2005, 09:15 PM
Well as expected, Verdasco beat Odesnik, 7-6(0) 6-4. So he and Andy will play. Yay Nando! :bounce: I hope their match is Sunday afternoon for the teeeeeeveeeeeee coverage.

Andy's 1-0 against him, easy win.

Tytta!.
03-11-2005, 09:17 PM
I might be the only one who wants it to be on Monday :rolls:

Deboogle!.
03-11-2005, 09:43 PM
oh, well it's definitely NOT going to be Monday. It's either tomorrow or Sunday.

Tytta!.
03-11-2005, 10:03 PM
Yeah, I know :o Though I don't know where my head was when I said that :unsure:

snaillyyy
03-11-2005, 10:03 PM
Maybe the heat is getting to is ;) Pappa did say it was an oven :p

Jennay
03-11-2005, 10:04 PM
Nando!! :rocker2: I can't wait to see him play again. Hopefully.

Tytta!.
03-11-2005, 10:14 PM
Maybe the heat is getting to is ;) Pappa did say it was an oven :p

:rolls: Exactly!

Deboogle!.
03-12-2005, 01:44 AM
Andy plays tomorrow - 4th match on the stadium so no TV

the radiotennis.com thing appears to be broadcasting the special exhibition :D:D:D:D

Jennay
03-12-2005, 01:45 AM
Nando!! :rocker2: I can't wait to see him play again. Hopefully.
:smash: :smash:

snaillyyy
03-12-2005, 01:47 AM
OOOOOOOOOOO Deb thanks for reminding me about radiotennis, I completely forgot :kiss:

Golfnduck
03-12-2005, 01:52 AM
I'm sooo happy, I'll finally be online tomorrow for Andy's match. GOOO ANDY!!!

Deboogle!.
03-12-2005, 01:54 AM
well we won't get to see Andy's match but we'll get to hear it on the radiotennis at least

in the exhibition tonight, Andy plays Marat in a tiebreaker. :)

andyroxmysox12191
03-12-2005, 02:11 AM
Ok you guys need to come online tomorrow and tell me when Andy's match is :lol:

Deboogle!.
03-12-2005, 02:15 AM
It's 4th.... so.... it could be like, any time. Mardy/JMG are first, I forget who's second, then Lindsay is third, then Andy... probably late afternoon your time?

superpinkone37
03-12-2005, 02:19 AM
Thanks J.W. :)

Here's one more blurb from the CA Press-Enterprise. Oh and Hewitt took a shot at Andy over the bathroom break during their match. :o
--------------------
Cup Failure Stings Roddick

Andy Roddick isn't having much luck erasing the memories of the U. S. team's first-round Davis Cup loss to Croatia at Carson last weekend. Roddick said Thursday that he had been booked onto "The Tonight Show with Jay Leno" for the Monday after the match and wanted to "pull the plug," but didn't because he didn't want to be thought of as a brat.

Roddick said he's still trying to put both the team's loss and his five-set loss to Ivan Ljubicic in the decisive singles match behind him. But events are conspiring against him. Thursday, for instance, Roddick was practicing on one court and Ljubicic was on the next court.

Thanks Deb...I was just about to post that but you beat me :p Thats our newspaper we get everyday so I didnt know if someone would have found that, so yeah :p

Hmm I could potentially go to IW tomorrow.....but I have this other tennis thing in the afternoon so yeah. And oh ma, it got hot here today so its like even hotter in Palm Springs. At least it was nice for last weekend. :p

There was something else I wanted to say and now I cant remember....:o

tangerine_dream
03-12-2005, 03:35 AM
Battle of the Hotties! Mardy vs. Jan-Mike. Who should I put my money on?

I would say Mardy only because it's his first match and not the cursed secound round, but JMG has actually been playing well lately hasn't he?

Deboogle!.
03-12-2005, 03:43 AM
Tangy, I would not touch that match with a 10-foot POLE.

fangirl
03-12-2005, 03:58 AM
Well, I'd touch Jan-Mike without a 10 foot pole, let me tell you that. Also would have touched ponytailed Mardy without one as well.

And I can't believe I havn't posted here yet. Lets just say that if Andy doesn't find his confidence, I will chase him around with that 10 foot pole until he goes looking for it. I will suggest he looks under his bed or ask his mother - that has a 95% sucess rate when I can't find something.

Deboogle!.
03-12-2005, 05:32 AM
uh.

holy.

crap.

death.

fangirl
03-12-2005, 05:42 AM
D. E. A. D.

There needs to be a stronger word then dead to explain how utterly dead those pictures have made me. And in the thumbnails, I didn't recognise Marat at first and was like 'who is the old guy?'.

But seriously. DEAD. THE END.

Deboogle!.
03-12-2005, 05:54 AM
and more :p Andy hits while holding Daniela's hand LMFAO

J. Corwin
03-12-2005, 06:53 AM
Those pics!!! Dammit I wish I coulda seen this on TV...or even have followed it on the radio feed! :haha: :haha:

Steve Urkel Marat :banana:

J. Corwin
03-12-2005, 09:57 AM
Ok about the Tsunami Relief Exhibition stuff...I'm gonna quote star ;) :) :cool:

Andy and Marat were playing these two Hollywood producers who were like 60 years old so they were cutting up. Then the announcer (the Bryan twins' dad) had Dementieva and Daniela go out and hold hands with them. Daniela with Andy and Dementieva with Marat. Andy pretended to jump Daniela and then threw up his hands like What? What? when the crowd got on him. Marat draged Demetieva behind the flowers and then came out pulling up his pants. It was funny.

Andre in that one picture is mocking Roger for smoothing back his hair. Doing all those gestures Roger does but in a really prissy way. It was hilarious. Asking Roger if he was finally ready and calling him pretty boy, and then when Roger started hiting harder, Andre said, Oh somebody's getting mad now. Andre is able to razz and needle even while playing. He was really getting onto Roger. One time Roger was waiting for a serve, twirlling his racquet and Andre said. Roger is just dying to hit a forehand and twirlled his racquet as Roger had been doing. Then Roger stood way out side the court to show how much he wanted the forehand. One time Andre hit a shot and said, Let's see you get that one! Was kidding Roger about being a ledgend. Andy and Marat were the clowns and Andre was the one with the really scarcastic wit.

The girls acted as ball girls for awhile and then went up into the audience to collect money. Also Kim and Amelie played dubs with the old hollywood guys.

Sounds like a lot of fun! :D

blosson
03-12-2005, 11:44 AM
Crazy pictures of Andy and Marat [!!!!]
Good to know there were other players involved, Hewitt inclusive. I don't know why Hewitt' name wasn't in the list of 'players taken part' inicially.

Good fun.

ps. Andy and Daniella, huh?

snaillyyy
03-12-2005, 01:35 PM
I am DEAD!!!! :haha: :haha: :haha:

OMC we got them in the glasses and pulled up shorts!! It sounds like the whole thing was alot of fun!

PinkFeatherBoa
03-12-2005, 01:37 PM
OMC DEATH, those pictures are hilarious, would LOVE to have seen that live, lucky star! :p

MissFairy
03-12-2005, 02:43 PM
Saturday 12, March 2005 (seedings before the name)

Stadium 1 start 10:00 AM
J.M Gambill (USA) vs M Fish (USA)
(3)M Sharapova (RUS) vs (WC)A Haynes (USA)
(1)L Davenport (USA) vs (WC)S Karatantcheva (BUL)
F Verdasco (ESP) vs (3)A Roddick (USA)
Not before 6:30 PM
(Q)W Arthurs (AUS) vs (9)A Agassi (USA)
A Kremer (LUX) vs (13)D Hantuchova (SVK)

smucav
03-12-2005, 03:37 PM
http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,12525211-23216,00.htmlFederer heads tsunami fundraiser
From correspondents in Indian Wells, California
March 12, 2005

THE lighter side of the ATP and WTA Tour was on display today as Swiss superstar Roger Federer led a star-studded exhibition to raise money for Asian tsunami victims.

The ATP All-Star Rally for Relief raised $US18,300 ($23,135) for UNICEF from a series of exhibition tiebreak matches at the Indian Wells WTA and ATP Masters Series tournament.

"To get the top 10 players all committed to tonight is fantastic," Federer said. "How often do you see the top 10 players on the same court for two hours?

"It is for a good cause and it should even go beyond tonight."

Besides world No.1 Federer, other participants included 2005 Australian Open champion Marat Safin, Americans Andy Roddick and Andre Agassi, Tim Henman, Guillermo Coria and Thai tennis star Paradorn Srichaphan.

WTA players Kim Clijsters, Elena Dementieva, Amelie Mauresmo and Daniela Hantuchova also took part.

The cause was a serious one, but the mood on the court was amusing and humorous as the players joked amongst each other and played to the crowd.

Safin stole the show in his tiebreaker against Roddick. The Russian prankster put on a display of trick shots and kept the crowd of 6000 entertained with a string of one-liners.

Clijsters, Dementieva, Mauresmo and Hantuchova traded in their racquets for running shoes and acted as ball girls for the Roddick/Safin match.

Clijsters smiled and joked with Hantuchova until she froze when having to face Roddick's serve from the ball-girl position at the back of the court. :eek:

More money is expected to be added to the fund once the proceeds from tickets sales are counted, organisers said.

Agence France-Pressehttp://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/20050312-9999-1s12pacnotes.html
Wanted: suitable rival for Federer
By Jerry Magee
UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER
March 12, 2005

INDIAN WELLS – Men's tennis has a standard. His name is Roger Federer.

Said Andy Roddick: "He's brilliant and he's still the one to beat. He does everything very, very well. The thing that is most impressive is his consistency."

Said Marat Safin: "Roger, he puts tennis on a higher level, much higher. Basically, the three of us (Roddick, Lleyton Hewitt and himself) are behind him. We've been there for a long time already and we have adjusted to his game so we can compete with him."

Said Hewitt: "The toughest guy at the moment is Federer. For anyone."

At the Pacific Life Open, the competition is to continue among Roddick, Safin and Hewitt to determine if any of them can band with the Swiss star in what the men's game clearly needs, a rivalry, something it has not had since Pete Sampras stepped away from the courts and from his classic confrontations with Andre Agassi.

The permutations here are many. Begin with a Federer-Safin arrangement. The thing to ask here is, "Would it play in Peoria?" Probably not. Federer is a Swiss and Safin a Russian. For tennis to take off in this country, an American arguably is going to have to be at the game's pinnacle.

Federer, the defending champion and No. 1 seed at the Pacific Life Open, is 6-2, career, against Safin, although the Russian outplayed him in a stirring five-set Australian Open final.

The defeat was the only one Federer has experienced during a season in which he is 20-1 and has captured three titles. At that, some persons in the tennis community are questioning whether Federer can even approach equaling his season of a year ago, when he won every Grand Slam championship except the French Open and went 74-6.

Those who question Federer's ascendancy note that he did lose to Safin and that a number of his matches have been close.

"If I want to repeat what I did last year, I've already messed it up," Federer said. "If I had lost to Safin in straight sets, then people could wonder. I had a little foot injury, and it cost me the title." :confused:

In his whimsical way, Safin indicated he should not be bracketed with Federer. "Thank you very much," said the Russian, "but Roddick has the potential to be there. I think he's doing pretty well. He's really, really dangerous on any surface." :)

Roddick-Federer, Roddick-Safin and Roddick-Hewitt would represent attractive rivalries, Roddick having a flair about him. ;) Safin, too, is a charismatic individual, but a Safin-Hewitt rivalry likely wouldn't be all that saleable here, nor a Hewitt-Federer rivalry.

Golfnduck
03-12-2005, 04:14 PM
Thanks for the article :hug:

Golfnduck
03-12-2005, 04:16 PM
Andy should emotion like that during his matches. It's too funny that he was holding Daniella's hand, they would make a cute couple.

Deboogle!.
03-12-2005, 04:36 PM
I am DEAD!!!! :haha: :haha: :haha:

OMC we got them in the glasses and pulled up shorts!! It sounds like the whole thing was alot of fun!

I was so sad b/c you went to bed right before the pics started showing up - I knew you'd die :lol:

snaillyyy
03-12-2005, 04:49 PM
awwwwww :hug: when I saw them I was like YAY!! we got the glasses :haha: :haha: I still laugh everytime I see them....

tangerine_dream
03-12-2005, 05:05 PM
As the great Debstah would say ....

http://www.smiliegenerator.de/s27/smilies-15274.png

:haha:

Deboogle!.
03-12-2005, 05:08 PM
As the great Debstah would say ....

http://www.smiliegenerator.de/s27/smilies-15274.png

uh well

no other reaction to this except..... holycrapdeath! LMFAO!!

Tytta!.
03-12-2005, 05:16 PM
:rolls:

Golfnduck
03-12-2005, 08:13 PM
:haha:

Golfnduck
03-12-2005, 10:58 PM
Andy won the 1st set 6-3, broke the opening game of the second, then gave it back. 1-2 on serve in the second.

andyroxmysox12191
03-12-2005, 11:01 PM
:sobbing: those pics are hysterical :haha: wish I could've seen it :rolls:

blosson
03-12-2005, 11:22 PM
I'm just looking at the scoreboard against Verdasco and what happend to Andy in the 2nd set?? He was broken twice and Verdasco had 7 bps?
I see Andy is understimating his opponent again!

MissFairy
03-12-2005, 11:24 PM
his second serve is being :smash:
i cant tell much though, damn non coverage

tangerine_dream
03-12-2005, 11:25 PM
Sometimes I wonder if Andy has completely forgotten what Gilbert taught him about staying in the moment and getting in his own bubble. I haven't seen Andy do this since USO 2003, when nothing got to him and nothing affected him. Ever since he lost to Marat at AO in 2004 it's like he's been on a slow mental decline, letting stupid things get to him, wasting his energy arguing with umps, doing everything BUT be in the zone. He always seems anxious, on edge, unsure, angry, frustrated, etc. I wish someone could show him how to get back into the zone again. :sad:

blosson
03-12-2005, 11:31 PM
Andy's got like loads of aces but it's letting Verdasco into almost every game. Man, don't loose in the 2nd round!

Golfnduck
03-12-2005, 11:38 PM
Sometimes I wonder if Andy has completely forgotten what Gilbert taught him about staying in the moment and getting in his own bubble. I haven't seen Andy do this since USO 2003, when nothing got to him and nothing affected him. Ever since he lost to Marat at AO in 2004 it's like he's been on a slow mental decline, letting stupid things get to him, wasting his energy arguing with umps, doing everything BUT be in the zone. He always seems anxious, on edge, unsure, angry, frustrated, etc. I wish someone could show him how to get back into the zone again. :sad:
Sports psychologist time. It's not a bad thing to see one, I think it would really help Andy.

tangerine_dream
03-12-2005, 11:43 PM
I agree, Jen. If Andy's struggling like this in early rounds (when he really shouldn't be) then a sports shrink is a good idea. His confidence is shattered, he doesn't believe in his game anymore (this is the guy who proclaimed on Jay Leno, "I have no game!" :sad: ). It's nothing to be ashamed of, everyone's seen a shrink at one point in their life/career. Even Roger Federer saw a sports shrink a long time ago when he used to have meltdowns on court now he hardly ever has them. If Andy's serious about getting back on top and staying there, he should see the sports head doctors.

RodFan08
03-12-2005, 11:47 PM
Common Andy!!!!!!!!!!Please!!!!!!!

tangerine_dream
03-12-2005, 11:52 PM
Andy got a warning for language, I think. He is seriously pissed at the chair ump. He says something like, "Are you starting with me? Hey if you want to start with the personal insults, let's go.....we'll deal with it like men." :tape:

MissFairy
03-12-2005, 11:54 PM
ummmm...er....i just dont understand what happening with him at the moment. its likes hes imploding :sad:

RodFan08
03-12-2005, 11:57 PM
Andy got a warning for language, I think. He is seriously pissed at the chair ump. He says something like, "Are you starting with me? Hey if you want to start with the personal insults, let's go.....we'll deal with it like men." :tape:

WTF???? It seems as if he's taking out his frustrations out on him. Why would he mention anything personal? Doesn't make much sence :rolleyes:

Focus Andy

blosson
03-12-2005, 11:57 PM
gosh the way things are going Andy might end up number 4 after IW instead to trying to get back to number 2...Andy where's your mind?

blosson
03-13-2005, 12:01 AM

oh! do you know why he's got so fired up? bad line call as usual?

tangerine_dream
03-13-2005, 12:13 AM
blosson, Andy got a bad line call and started in on the ump. I don't know what ump said in reply but then Andy got a warning for language and then Andy just went after him. Apparently, Andy thought ump said something personal and Andy was like, "are you starting with the personal insults now?" Whatever. Andy needs to learn to stay in the zone. He used to be able to do it. Lately, he's just been :retard:

blosson
03-13-2005, 12:16 AM
well, it was tight but andy made it!!!

tangy thanks for the reply.

thelma
03-13-2005, 12:19 AM
yay :woohoo: Well done, Andy! :bounce:

http://ads.tennisuniverse.com/wtaworld/images/smilies/plotting.gif

Golfnduck
03-13-2005, 12:20 AM
He finally won 6-3, 3-6, 7-6 (2). Closer than any of us would have wanted, but he's through. Andy won some tough games and hung in there. Maybe it will help his confidence :shrug:

ftd999
03-13-2005, 12:22 AM

All of this I agree with.

Some people don't like Gilbert, and I don't know what the personal situation between them was, but I thought letting go of Gilbert was not a good move. He brought in a different set of strengths that complemented well with Roddick's strengths.

ftd999
03-13-2005, 12:23 AM
Sports psychologist time. It's not a bad thing to see one, I think it would really help Andy.

It might be an off the court thing :)

ftd999
03-13-2005, 12:24 AM

That's very strange. Did the ump make a personal insult?

tangerine_dream
03-13-2005, 12:25 AM
Well, Andy hasn't completely lost it yet: once again, he wins in the TB. Hurray Andy :bigclap:

Verdasco gave him a good run so maybe this win will help Andy's confidence a bit to get him through the next round.

Deboogle!.
03-13-2005, 12:26 AM
I'm so disappointed in Andy's behavior during this match. I hope there are 280259720948204985023 threads in GM about it.

I'm glad Andy was able to pull out a win against a guy playing great when he was far from his best, but he cannot act like that on a regular basis. Is it me or does IW bring out his petulant, obnoxious best? He was particularly snarky during his match against Tim last year, too. Novak or Ollie will kill him if he's this shaky on Monday.

Sjengster
03-13-2005, 12:28 AM
Don't worry, there'll probably be no more than 7. And incidentally, if you want to find the most vitriolic criticism of Roddick anywhere on this board, check out dylan24's comments in the scoring thread for the match. He beats even heya for the title of most critical Roddick supporter.

ftd999
03-13-2005, 12:30 AM
Is it me or does IW bring out his petulant, obnoxious best? He was particularly snarky during his match against Tim last year, too. Novak or Ollie will kill him if he's this shaky on Monday.

No, Roddick has seemed to have a bit of an attitude problem in many of his recent matches. At least the ones I've seen. I thought Tangerine Dream summarized it well in his post above.

Did you see this match on TV? What was the problem? Too many errors or Verdasco's good play?

blosson
I think it's a wake up call. Wake Wake Andy! But I believe he will do much better in the next round. He usually does poorly in the first round and pick things up later.

It looks like he will be playing Novak next, he is up 6/3 5/3 now.

Golfnduck
I can't believe he went after the ump. That's just not cool. Andy has to let stuff like that just roll off his shoulders. There's nothing he can do about it. He better straighten up quickly.

Deboogle!.
03-13-2005, 12:32 AM
No, Roddick has seemed to have a bit of an attitude problem in many of his recent matches. At least the ones I've seen. I thought Tangerine Dream summarized it well in his post above.

Did you see this match on TV? What was the problem? Too many errors or Verdasco's good play?

But I've never heard him talk like THAT to an ump. Usually he at least tries to be sarcastic about it - and the fact that he didn't shake his hand. That's very disappointing.

I listened to it on the online radio. Verdasco was definitely the aggressor - way more winners but also way more errors (The last count they gave was 26 errors for Andy and 42 for Verdasco, but the winners were also way skewed). So it was a combo of both - Verdasco returned well and seriously went for his shots and Andy was just simply AWFUL from the ground, according to the commentator. And in the third set he couldn't get a first serve in to save his life. The radio commentator was questioning Andy's confidence on his groundstrokes. He was missing a lot of routine shots.

Jennay
03-13-2005, 12:33 AM
:shrug: I really thought Andy would have won easier, and his comments toward the chair umpire were dissappointing.

Nando :hug: :hug: He played very well. :)

heya
03-13-2005, 12:33 AM
I love him. He's afraid of returning the ball harder & he doesn't want to
get a lot of respect. That's why he bashes himself.
No one understands him and they're too damn scared to push him/
care for him.

I'm mad that he has to kiss up to
the ESPN jerks & has to be careful when he gives interviews
(especially about other players).

When he said "I don't have game" on the Leno show, he meant
"I don't know how to be a good boyfriend."

Last week, Pat Mc showed up on Don Imus' show,
got some verbal insults with the show's idiots.
Pat really craves money and attention, doesn't he?
1 guy called Pat "a tennis playing pussy."
Pat acted all innocent, "Your mind's in the gutter."

A guest called to tell Pat,
"U're on the show!!! I watched DC...try not to screw it up this time."

PinkFeatherBoa
03-13-2005, 12:35 AM
Andy's behaviour was disgusting and I hope he gets lots of vitrol for it, he deserves it.

Well done to him for toughing it out though, I seriously hope he can LEARN from today but knowing Andy.. :rolleyes:

Sjengster
03-13-2005, 12:35 AM
I seem to remember him getting angry during the Ljubicic match at the 03 US Open, during that fractious 4th set TB, but the only other time he was really in trouble during the tournament, against Nalbandian in the semis, he stayed completely calm. I think it was a sort of shell-shocked calmness, as though he couldn't believe he was two sets down to someone he'd beaten comfortably in the past (my commentator was certainly voicing that disbelief, and unlike Ljubicic Nalbandian's game kills you softly), but it helped him focus and steadily work his way through the rest of the match. Then last year he decided to be Mr. Comedian in the final set against Johansson and mock out the umpire while neglecting to pay full attention to the match. But still, Novak has few of the weapons that made Verdasco so dangerous - he'll make less errors, but also hit less winners.

williaer
03-13-2005, 12:36 AM
Nah, andy did shake the ump's hand.
but i havent heard him talk like that to the ump for an extremely long time

he shook hands with the ump (i was listening on the radio) and apparently as he was packing up his stuff, he was giving the ump (another) piece of his mind. i couldnt hear much, but it certainly wasnt g-rated

at least he could sneak a win, when he wasnt playing his best

tangerine_dream
03-13-2005, 12:36 AM
But I've never heard him talk like THAT to an ump. Usually he at least tries to be sarcastic about it - and the fact that he didn't shake his hand. That's very disappointing.

This is incorrect, Deb. Andy DID shake the ump's hand and that annoying radiotennis commentator made a point of saying so.

Focus, Andy. Focus. Focus. YOGA.

Deboogle!.
03-13-2005, 12:39 AM
This is incorrect, Deb. Andy DID shake the ump's hand and that annoying radiotennis commentator made a point of saying so.

Focus, Andy. Focus. Focus. YOGA.

Oh, ok, I wasn't here, I was downstairs talking to the people in the office. The guys in the MSN chat told me he didn't shake the ump's hand. SORRYYYYYYYYYYYYY.

ftd999
03-13-2005, 12:39 AM
I love him. He's afraid of returning the ball harder & he doesn't want to
get a lot of respect. That's why he bashes himself.
No one understands him and they're too damn scared to push him/
care for him.

I'm mad that he has to kiss up to
the ESPN jerks & has to be careful when he gives interviews
(especially about other players).

When he said "I don't have game" on the Leno show, he meant
"I don't know how to be a good boyfriend."

Last week, Pat Mc showed up on Don Imus' show,
got some verbal insults with the show's idiots.
Pat really craves money and attention, doesn't he?
1 guy called Pat "a tennis playing pussy."
Pat acted all innocent, "Your mind's in the gutter."

A guest called to tell Pat,
"U're on the show!!! I watched DC...try not to screw it up this time."

It's what he gets if he's stupid enough to go on Imus. They're ruthless.

smucav
03-13-2005, 12:40 AM
Novak d. Rochus 63 64

Tytta!.
03-13-2005, 12:41 AM
Andy :rolleyes:

ftd999
03-13-2005, 12:41 AM
Andy's behaviour was disgusting and I hope he gets lots of vitrol for it, he deserves it.

Interesting, who's going to tell him to stop? Does Coach Goldfine have the cajones to tell Roddick not to act like such a damn brat? Especially when things may not be going as well as he would like right now.

snaillyyy
03-13-2005, 12:44 AM
Not much else to say that you all havn't already said...and he did pull out the win but he better straighten up if he wants to make it much further :rolleyes:

zoltan83
03-13-2005, 12:45 AM
Andy :rolleyes: but at least, he won.

Oli :sad: :sad:

ftd999
03-13-2005, 12:45 AM
Verdasco was definitely the aggressor - way more winners but also way more errors (The last count they gave was 26 errors for Andy and 42 for Verdasco, but the winners were also way skewed). So it was a combo of both - Verdasco returned well and seriously went for his shots and Andy was just simply AWFUL from the ground, according to the commentator. And in the third set he couldn't get a first serve in to save his life. The radio commentator was questioning Andy's confidence on his groundstrokes. He was missing a lot of routine shots.

So, it was like playing Gonzo, all bashing, either winner or error. It's really hard to get any kind of rythym off that type of play, and hence the level of play can often go to shit. It's usually not fun to watch either, which could explain the commentator's comments :)

Deboogle!.
03-13-2005, 12:46 AM
Interesting, who's going to tell him to stop? Does Coach Goldfine have the cajones to tell Roddick not to act like such a damn brat? Especially when things may not be going as well as he would like right now.

Actually, I think CuteDean does have the balls to do that. He seems to take no BS and seems like the type of guy who would not put up with his player acting like that.

Novak beat Ollie so Andy will play him on Monday. Andy's 1-0 against him but Novak is too solid to put up with the crap play Andy put in today.

So, it was like playing Gonzo, all bashing, either winner or error. It's really hard to get any kind of rythym off that type of play, and hence the level of play can often go to shit. It's usually not fun to watch either, which could explain the commentator's comments :)

Ummm maybe. hard to know without seeing it. But Andy missed a lot of easy shots, he was just not at all solid off the ground and I don't think that can be attributed to having no rhythm. I mean Nando practically gave him the break to go up 1-0 in the 2nd and then Andy just gave it right back to him with errors and he played an awful game to lose serve again to go DOWN a break in the 2nd. Nando definitely played well, he was hitting all kinds of winners. But yea, Andy was way off from the ground, according to Ken Thomas.

http://www.gotennis.com/Photos/2005-03-13T004039Z_01_INW18D_RTRIDSP_2_SPORT-TENNIS.jpg

http://www.gotennis.com/Photos/2005-03-13T003246Z_01_INW17D_RTRIDSP_2_SPORT-TENNIS.jpg

http://www.gotennis.com/Photos/2005-03-13T002757Z_01_INW16D_RTRIDSP_2_SPORT-TENNIS.jpg

smucav
03-13-2005, 12:46 AM
he doesn't believe in his game anymore (this is the guy who proclaimed on Jay Leno, "I have no game!" :sad: )That was in response to Leno's question about how it was being single. Nothing to do with tennis.

blosson
03-13-2005, 12:47 AM
Andy watches sportscenter and reads the sports news every day right? He will find out for himself how people are shocked by his language and will bite his tongue for the next match.

lizzieh
03-13-2005, 12:49 AM
Andy watches sportscenter and reads the sports news every day right? He will find out for himself how people are shocked by his language and will bite his tongue for the next match.
I hope he does... no one should act like that... it's not big and it's not clever...

smucav
03-13-2005, 12:57 AM
Andy watches sportscenter and reads the sports news every day right? He will find out for himself how people are shocked by his language and will bite his tongue for the next match.I listened to the whole match online and there was no audible profanity. You could hear everything Andy said clearly from the court microphone, but nothing the umpire said since he had his hand over his mic. There was the one long exchange with the umpire about the "personal insults" but no profanity. It was after that exchange was over & Andy was walking back onto the court that the umpire gave Andy the warning for verbal abuse. Whatever he said to warrant it was under his breath as he was walking away; the umpire was the only one who heard it. The crowd sure didn't since they started booing the umpire.

You could hear their whole exchange after the match was over too (at least until the announcer started talking again). Again no profanity on Andy's end (which was the only one that was audible).

As for what started the whole "personal insults" debate, without hearing the umpire's side of it, it's hard to tell. There was also some ongoing problem with Andy's shoes in the first set & the announcer made it seem like the umpire had really delayed in calling for someone to bring out the glue that Andy had requested. The umpire then overruled a key point against Andy early in the match & he chatted with him a little bit (no big deal). The "personal insults" debate started after Andy questioned the umpire overruling what he (& Verdasco, according to the announcer) perceived to be an ace for Andy. He asked how he could be so sure from where he was sitting that an 130+ mph serve down the middle (that a linesman called good) was out & it proceeded from there.

andyroxmysox12191
03-13-2005, 01:04 AM
*sigh* blah Andy blah. just please stop and get your HEAD together

heya
03-13-2005, 01:08 AM
I'm not shocked by his insecurity/passive playing.
Thin his body down. He can barely run & he's either in denial about it or he's clueless.
He smashed his ankle when all the muscle weight landed on it.
He has to eat less and slim down the muscles in his back, arms, belly & thighs.
It's getting boring for him when he keeps doing the same things.
Enough with horrible, sissy practice partners.
He should stop depressing himself with the :bs: BS tennis hero worshipping.
All the joking around in practice did him no good.
He's not the only delusional player, though.
He's in no way inferior as a human being just 'cuz most players
aren't struggling with shitty physical/mental problems.
His life is too busy & complicated.
Just KEEP IT DAMN SIMPLE, JERK!
He knows he's not crap.
The lenient parenting & low expectations have
created Andy's :fiery:laziness & stubbornness...

Deboogle!.
03-13-2005, 01:09 AM
Well, considering Andy's shittastic Tiebreak play lately, at least he won the tiebreak in a tight moment.

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20050313/capt.camt11503130053.indian_wells_camt115.jpg

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20050313/capt.camt11403130048.pacific_life_open_camt114.jpg

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20050313/capt.camt11803130059.indian_wells_camt118.jpg

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20050313/capt.camt11703130057.indian_wells_camt117.jpg

Tytta!.
03-13-2005, 01:15 AM
Thanks for the pics!

I can't wait to read his interview

fangirl
03-13-2005, 01:28 AM
I am going to confiscate his credit card and go shoe shopping and stop brining him fresh hot cookies after his games until further notice. I am also going to smack him across the head for being a brat.

But at least he won, and held his nerve in a tie break. Look on the bright side of life etc etc.

williaer
03-13-2005, 01:38 AM
im not sure if this is true, but apparently after the match, the ump kinda cracked it at andy, and like touched him or something, then andy just went bezerko and sh*tted it at him

lizzieh
03-13-2005, 01:49 AM
im not sure if this is true, but apparently after the match, the ump kinda cracked it at andy, and like touched him or something, then andy just went bezerko and sh*tted it at him
I've heard something along these lines too.... but not sure about it...

anyway... doesn't excuse his behaviour DURING the match...

but Kell is right.. accentuate the positives and all... :confused:

heya
03-13-2005, 01:49 AM
When your damn coaches and friends laugh at you & underestimate you,
wouldn't u feel angry?
This is not something new.
From 2000, he talked about expecting little from
himself & he always got unfair, shit line calls at break point down.
HE suffered with emotional + fitness
probs for a long time.
For years, he melted down a lot even when he won.
All he listens to are media morons, Pat McEnroe & Gilbert... They've convinced him that he's nothing special, so he thinks it's not worth it to work & play much more.
1-2 days practice is NOT GOOD ENOUGH. He has to train with top 10 players.
Practicing with junior players & Taylor Dent doesn't help him. The clay season is important & does anyone care? I doubt it.

He's not willing to be aggressive with serves/defense anymore.
He just wants little effort and to play only short matches.
That was his attitude in French Open, USO, Wimbley and Australian Open.
HE has nobody to help him...

lizzieh
03-13-2005, 01:51 AM
for once I fully agree with you heya.... :)

williaer
03-13-2005, 01:57 AM
yeh, his behaviour was unacceptable during the match.
but, at least he got through a tough 2nd round opponent when he obviously wasnt playing good tennis.

we can just hope he steps up in the next match, and makes a public apology to the umpire, even though i think that the ump has no right to touch him