the "please don't get drawn against fed or andy" indian wells thread [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

the "please don't get drawn against fed or andy" indian wells thread

Éowyn
03-07-2005, 03:36 AM
so how do we think the fishy is going to do??? i wanna see him get somewhere half decent in this one.
but no more draws like the last 2 can't take another tournament of all my boys squished in the same section.

Deboogle!.
03-07-2005, 05:18 AM
I hope Mardy gets a decent draw, too. he actually has R16 points to defend, and where his ranking is, if he doesn't defend them all, he will drop out of the top 50.

Maia
03-07-2005, 10:57 AM
Mardy has to get back on track!!!!
I'm hoping for a good draw, obviously, but so far this year even good draws weren't very helpful.

C'mon Mardy!!!!!! :yeah:

Dinkie
03-07-2005, 11:17 AM
Maybe there is no pressure anymore for Mardy. The Daviscup Team also lost without him (and with Andre) so maybe he can relax a little and do a few rounds.

Was Mardy in Carson??
I noticed that for the Dutch team everyone was there in Switzerland, the injured players (Verkerk, Sluiter) and also the ones that were not called in the team this time (Van Lottum). Great team spirit I thought. Did anyone spot Mardy or Vince or was it just Dent in the stands?

Deboogle!.
03-07-2005, 02:43 PM
on Friday, we only saw Taylor. khyber said he saw Justin Gimelstob. We thought that James, Mardy, Robby, etc, might be there since Indian Wells is coming up and Carson is pretty closeby, but we couldn't spot any of them in the stands (and we were sitting right across from the US team so we had a good view)

smucav
03-07-2005, 04:48 PM
Amer Delic was there too. He was the other practice partner along with Dent.

I hope Mardy gets a decent draw, too. he actually has R16 points to defend, and where his ranking is, if he doesn't defend them all, he will drop out of the top 50.He got the very last direct entry spot into Monte Carlo. If he drops any lower than he is now, he will have to play qualifying in Rome & probably Hamburg.

Éowyn
03-08-2005, 12:13 AM
i think he'll do well if he doens't get a draw as evil as the last 2 or at least i hope he will!

Deboogle!.
03-08-2005, 12:37 AM
He got the very last direct entry spot into Monte Carlo. If he drops any lower than he is now, he will have to play qualifying in Rome & probably Hamburg.

:o:o:o:o:o

Have fun trying to qualify on clay, Mardy :haha:

aceit
03-08-2005, 01:51 AM
Have fun trying to qualify on clay, Mardy :haha:
:o

Deboogle!.
03-08-2005, 05:16 AM
i wonder if he'd even bother trying to qualify, to be honest.

ataptc
03-08-2005, 02:19 PM
:lol: sorry I just had to laugh when I thought of Mardy qualifying for a clay tournament

Aleksa's Laydee
03-08-2005, 03:43 PM
this is terrible...hes gotta find form!!

Deboogle!.
03-08-2005, 04:00 PM
Mardy probably should've entered the Sunrise challenger - a lot of people enter then if they win a couple rounds at IW they pull out. At least that way he'd have a chance to get in some good matches. It's a very strong field for a challenger. Mardy needs to win more than one match in a row, which he has not done since the Olympics. If it means entering some challengers or having to qualify for tournaments that gives him the kick in the ass, then so be it. Come on Mardy, we know you're better than this!

aceit
03-08-2005, 09:21 PM
Agreed. He needs to get a bunch of wins in a row even if they aren't against top ranked players.

Flushing_Ace
03-08-2005, 10:49 PM
Well, he didn't get drawn against one of the guys you wanted

(1) Roger Federer v. Bye
Jan-Michael Gambill v. Mardy Fish
Qualifier v. Gilles Muller
Bye v. (26) Radek Stepanek

Looks like he won't be getting past his second round drought anytime soon :(

aceit
03-09-2005, 12:05 AM
I saw the draw and almost screamed. :(

Deboogle!.
03-09-2005, 01:03 AM
oh, man....he could have trouble with Jan-Mike, quite frankly.

Poor Mardy :sad:

Éowyn
03-09-2005, 02:21 AM
Well, he didn't get drawn against one of the guys you wanted

(1) Roger Federer v. Bye
Jan-Michael Gambill v. Mardy Fish
Qualifier v. Gilles Muller
Bye v. (26) Radek Stepanek

Looks like he won't be getting past his second round drought anytime soon :(

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr why why why why why do they stick my boys against each other AGAIN! i think mardy may struggle to even get past jan mike to be honest :eek: i'd love to see either of them take roger out but i can't see it happening ever!

Deboogle!.
03-09-2005, 02:23 AM
Well, if you have to play Roger, you'd rather play him in his first match than later. that's about the only upside I can possibly think of.

Éowyn
03-09-2005, 02:24 AM
I saw the draw and almost screamed. :(

i did scream it's my boys against eachother AGAIN!!!!!!! :bigcry:

Éowyn
03-09-2005, 02:26 AM
Well, if you have to play Roger, you'd rather play him in his first match than later. that's about the only upside I can possibly think of.

i'd be in heaven if jan-mike or mardy could take fed out would be great ditto if robby could knock lleyton out but as much as i love them and believe in them i just don't know if they have it them esp mardy at the mo but hopefully the short break has done him well and he'll be ok but who knows.

smucav
03-09-2005, 03:04 AM
grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr why why why why why do they stick my boys against each other AGAIN!Blame James Blake: he's the player who assisted in the draw ceremony.

rue
03-09-2005, 06:17 PM
The draw does not look good at all for him. If he does get past the first round, you can amost gurantee that he will lose the next round against Federer. I don't think that he is yet ready to beat top guys yet. It is going to be tough, but we will have to see if he first of all can get through round one.

Aleksa's Laydee
03-09-2005, 07:09 PM
pfffffffffff

Jennay
03-10-2005, 12:13 AM
Good luck! :haha:

Éowyn
03-12-2005, 05:52 PM
fingers crossed i think he's gonna struggle with this one but we'll see. i'm not gonna be at work for the end of the match so gonna miss it :(

aceit
03-12-2005, 06:23 PM
Mardy is up 4-0. :eek:

I hope he keeps it up! :)

snaillyyy
03-12-2005, 06:36 PM
6-2! nice start Mardy :D :D

aceit
03-12-2005, 06:44 PM
Wow. 6-2, 2-0!

Deboogle!.
03-12-2005, 07:12 PM
Mardy wins 6-2 6-2 in just over an hour! Sounds like JanMike played AWFUL, though, and Mardy just did what he had to. Obviously tomorrow will be a very very very different story.

Have fun :lol:

aceit
03-12-2005, 07:18 PM
You know you're a big Mardy Fish fan when you're excited about a first round win... :o

Just give it all you've got tomorrow, Mardy. Try to get a few games. :p

snaillyyy
03-12-2005, 07:19 PM
I am just glad he won! I can dream about a win tomorrow cant I :confused: ;)

Flushing_Ace
03-12-2005, 07:20 PM
We'll see this scoreline against Federer too, right Mardy? ;) Oh well, he still saved 3 breakpoints on the last game... that's kind of un-Mardy like. Maybe he'll pull off something like that against Federer, huh? :)

adelaide
03-12-2005, 07:45 PM
yayyy fishy :D:D:D

Deboogle!.
03-12-2005, 07:58 PM
Mardy :unsure: this is NOT a cute look. NOT AT ALL.

snaillyyy
03-12-2005, 08:06 PM
:eek: :eek: Mardy please!!! that is not nice at alll :bolt:

Golfnduck
03-12-2005, 08:16 PM
Good job Mardy :yeah: It sucks that he has Fed next. GO MARDY!!!

aceit
03-12-2005, 08:57 PM
Don't you know? He's dressed that way because he's playing some street ball directly after with his hommies.

Umm, yeah. It's very basketball-ish with the headband and the long shorts.

tangerine_dream
03-12-2005, 09:06 PM
The radiotennis guy keep complaining how JMG didn't show up for this match, tanked it, took the money and ran, etc. :rolleyes:

Nice easy win for Mardy but please please PLEASE for once can he make it through the second round in just as easy a fashion? *begs Mardy* http://www.gamerseuphoria.com/forum/images/smilies/please.gif :smash: http://www.gamerseuphoria.com/forum/images/smilies/please.gif :banghead: http://www.gamerseuphoria.com/forum/images/smilies/please.gif

Jennay
03-12-2005, 09:08 PM
Um, he plays Fed, methinks he won't be getting through, let alone easily.

But um, yay. You won a match! Easily.

snaillyyy
03-12-2005, 09:09 PM
Don't you know? He's dressed that way because he's playing some street ball directly after with his hommies.

Must be meeting with cousin vinny later :rolleyes:

Yea Tangy I wish he would get past a 2nd round but not so sure he can do it this time against Roger but I will still continue to dream!

tangerine_dream
03-12-2005, 09:51 PM
He's playing Roger? Forget it then. Another second round crash out, coming right up. :o

Ugh. All right, I'll try not to get too negative over this. Maybe with Roger's confidence being a bit shaky Mardy will win some games and not get bageled. Hell, he may even take a set. Good luck, Mardy :bounce:

rue
03-12-2005, 11:27 PM
I really don't see how Mardy can take Roger out tomorrow, but lets hope that the can challenge him. If only he had played someone else in the second round rather than Roger out of all people. I think that playing Andy would have been better for him.

Aleksa's Laydee
03-13-2005, 12:48 AM
omfg mardy!! what a way to kick ass!!

Deboogle!.
03-13-2005, 02:26 AM
Well, the match will be on ESPN live in the US Tomorrow afternoon. Just try your hardest and don't embarrass yourself Mardy!

rue
03-13-2005, 04:20 AM
Even if he loses, the key is to play his best and see where exactly his form is matching up with the world's best.

MissFairy
03-13-2005, 12:29 PM
:sad:why does mardy always get a tough draw? ahhhh, well i hope he can keep his head held high, and play like a star :)

pieross
03-13-2005, 02:20 PM
i think this one is better

http://www.tennis.com.cn/bbs/uploadFiles/2005-03/13_697102_1.jpg

aceit
03-13-2005, 03:59 PM
I can't wait for Flake to play. I hope they win! :)

Deboogle!.
03-13-2005, 04:05 PM
Yea, go flake!!!!!

Here's an article from the local paper in IW
----------------
Fish to face Federer after quick victory

Thomas St. Myer
The Desert Sun
March 13, 2005

INDIAN WELLS - Mardy Fish disposed of fellow American Jan-Michael Gambill before the crowd settled into their seats Saturday morning at Stadium Court at the Indian Wells Tennis Garden.

In about an hour, Fish knocked off Gambill 6-2, 6-2 in the opening match to advance to the second round of the Pacific Life Open.

Fish won 85 percent of his first serves, 76 percent of his total serves and saved all three of his break points.

"I put the pressure on him and kept it on him in the second set," Fish said.

In reward for his outstanding play Saturday, Fish moves on to play world No. 1 Roger Federer. In their four previous matches, Fish won only one of 10 sets.

In their first encounter, he won the third set in their round of 32 match at the 2003 Wimbledon. Last year, he played Federer in the fourth round here at Indian Wells and lost 6-4, 6-1.

"I don't think too many guys out there think they can beat him," Fish said. "I'd like to think that I can or at least fake that I can." :)

Ranked No. 11 in the world juniors before he turned pro in 2000, the 23-year-old Fish once expected to hear his name mentioned in the company of Federer and his former roommate Andy Roddick. Today, he still sits on the outside looking in at the top ATP Tour players.

Fish owns a mediocre 91-72 record and only one title - the 2003 Stockholm Open.

"I'm still a ways away from contending with the best," Fish said. "I've made a lot of changes technically and mentally and I'm banking on them coming together soon." :yeah: :bounce:

Coached by former ATP pro Todd Martin and Scott Humphries, Fish said on the court he recently altered his forehand volley and serve toss. Off the court, he now adheres to the advice of Martin, whereas in the past he sometimes tuned out his coaches. (WELL, GOOD!!!!!!!)

Though superstardom remains out of reach for now, if Fish straightens out a few of those kinks, watch out.

In his junior days, tennis experts pegged him a future superstar for a reason.

"There's a couple of guys out there that I think have the ability to break through and he's one of them," Roddick said.

aceit
03-13-2005, 04:21 PM
Thanks Deb. :)

I'd love to see him do very well this year. Unfortunetly the clay season is pretty soon. :ras: But hopefully Martin can help him out a bit there.

"I don't think too many guys out there think they can beat him," Fish said. "I'd like to think that I can or at least fake that I can."
:lol:

rue
03-13-2005, 05:09 PM
Today's match is going to be really interesting. Though many players think that they can't best Federer, the best time to best him is in the early rounds when he is not so confident and going at full flight. I still don't know how Mardy will play, but I am hoping to see a good match today.

pieross
03-13-2005, 10:28 PM
well.he lost the game 3-6 3-6,and stop at the 2nd round again
i havent seen the match.can somebody tell me something about the match?

aceit
03-13-2005, 10:31 PM
Suprise suprise Mardy lost 6-3,6-3. He broke once in the first set though. I watched the match and he had some moments of brilliance, but not enough to compete with Rog. In the first game he double fautled the first point, and another time I believe. He seemed kind of nervous in the beginning.

BUTTTTTT when it was 4-2 in the second, Roger hit this amazing angled cross court shot which you would think would be a winner, but Mardy got it back and perfectly hit it in the corner, cross court. :hearts:

Mardy looked like he was going out to play basketball with Cousin Vinny after. He wore a headband with a green adidas logo. WTF? Your outfit is yellow/white/black .. no green! But he wears low socks so I'll give him a :worship: for that.

Hopefully next tournament he'll get a better draw and get to R3. ;)

pieross
03-13-2005, 10:45 PM
thx your report aceit
he in green,i cant imagine that.....
i seems that he win some good points,thats great!
i think i can foto soon...
but now i have to go to school...

aceit
03-13-2005, 10:46 PM
I'm sorry I should have clarified it. He wore the bright yellow shirt, but a headband that was white with a green adidas logo. It was odd.

pieross
03-13-2005, 10:49 PM
i found the pic,
dont blame yourself,thats my misunderstanding

http://www.gotennis.com/Photos/2005-03-13T224436Z_01_INW10D_RTRIDSP_2_SPORT-TENNIS.jpg

aceit
03-13-2005, 10:49 PM
Thanks for the picture! :) Where did you find it?

Jennay
03-13-2005, 11:18 PM
:shrug: Not really a surprising loss. I loved the on-the-run passing shot. :)

Also, the hair doesn't look as bad on T.V. ;)

Lauren :rocker2: Low socks rule. :p

simpletennis
03-13-2005, 11:33 PM
i watched his match, i think he played pretty well compared to the rest of this year, he hit some really nice shots, and kept up with most of the rallies, and took a few games from fed. i'm proud of him. hopefully he can get past the second round at his next tourn.

his hair looks really fuzzy and soft.

Deboogle!.
03-13-2005, 11:37 PM
Looking at the stats, the biggest problem was his first serve. He relies on his serve SO much - in these big matches he has GOT to get his first serve over 60%. I mean 41% for the match! are you kidding!!!!!!!! He actually won more first serve points than Roger did, but he barely got it in. That is huge for Mardy. He's GOT to work on that.

rue
03-13-2005, 11:37 PM
I got to see the match and he did not play too badly, it is just that he just happened to play a guy by the name of Roger Federer. I think that Mardy is on the right track. He just needs to work more on his serve volleys, forehand and on his footwork. He did not disgrace on court today. He just ran into the worst person you could ever play in the 2nd round. Lets hope that the draw will be more kind to him in Miami.

Deboogle!.
03-13-2005, 11:39 PM
I got to see the match and he did not play too badly, it is just that he just happened to play a guy by the name of Roger Federer. I think that Mardy is on the right track. He just needs to work more on his serve volleys, forehand and on his footwork. He did not disgrace on court today. He just ran into the worst person you could ever play in the 2nd round. Lets hope that the draw will be more kind to him in Miami.

The problem is that because of his ranking, his draw will no be any better. He'll run into some kind of seed in the 2nd round. If it's not Roger, it'll be Andy or ljubicic or Coria or Andre or a host of other people who are not much more fun for him to play than Roger.

It's also unfortunate that his ranking will now drop even more and he probably won't even get direct entry into Rome and/or Hamburg. But if he's on the right track, then the ranking will come. I am just not so sure.

J. Corwin
03-13-2005, 11:39 PM
I felt he moved too slowly (other than that couple great running forehand passing shot :worship: ) but he played better than last time. Mardy has great volleys so he should work his way up to the net more. Respectable scoreline and it's just too bad he drew Roger so early. :o

Jennay
03-14-2005, 12:48 AM
Looking at the stats, the biggest problem was his first serve. He relies on his serve SO much - in these big matches he has GOT to get his first serve over 60%. I mean 41% for the match! are you kidding!!!!!!!! He actually won more first serve points than Roger did, but he barely got it in. That is huge for Mardy. He's GOT to work on that.
Yes, the serve is huge for him.. but he is saying that there are some technical changes he is making, so it will take time to really get into the flow of that.

Deboogle!.
03-14-2005, 01:31 AM
Yes, the serve is huge for him.. but he is saying that there are some technical changes he is making, so it will take time to really get into the flow of that.

Sure, absolutely. But his serve is always a problem. I mean there are a lot of people who, if they serve well they play well (Lindsay D. comes to mind) and Mardy is like that. So he's just GOT to get his first serve % up. 41% is beyond a point of "there are some changes and it will take time for those work" - that's just BAD.

I think he was nervous, he was making so many errors early in the match. So I'm sure that's part of it, but yeah. It's just so huge for him in particular.

pieross
03-14-2005, 04:31 AM
Thanks for the picture! :) Where did you find it?
www.gotennis.com

it has high quality pics too .

simpletennis
03-14-2005, 05:00 AM
Sure, absolutely. But his serve is always a problem. I mean there are a lot of people who, if they serve well they play well (Lindsay D. comes to mind) and Mardy is like that. So he's just GOT to get his first serve % up. 41% is beyond a point of "there are some changes and it will take time for those work" - that's just BAD.

I think he was nervous, he was making so many errors early in the match. So I'm sure that's part of it, but yeah. It's just so huge for him in particular.

it's not his serve percentage that's the only problem, i think mardy has to work on getting more consistent. he came up with some really nice shots, so it's possible for him to be consistent. it just sucks that mardy has to play fed. he hasn't gotten past the second round at all this year

Deboogle!.
03-14-2005, 05:07 AM
it's not his serve percentage that's the only problem, i think mardy has to work on getting more consistent. he came up with some really nice shots, so it's possible for him to be consistent. it just sucks that mardy has to play fed. he hasn't gotten past the second round at all this year

What all this year? he hasn't gotten past the 2nd round since the OLYMPICS.

I've seen Mardy play enough to believe that his first serve % is almost singularly determinative of how he plays. It's scary, actually. There are definitely other factors and other problems with his game, but when his first serve % is high, the rest of his game is there, and vice versa. It happens much too often to be coincidental.

but on a positive note! Flake win 3-6 7-6(0) 6-2!!!!! Mardy lost his serve like the first 4 times he served but once they settled down they did great. Go Flake!

aceit
03-14-2005, 11:32 AM
but on a positive note! Flake win 3-6 7-6(0) 6-2!!!!! Mardy lost his serve like the first 4 times he served but once they settled down they did great. Go Flake!
:bounce: :bigclap: :rocker2: Yesssssssssssssssssssss. GO FLAKE! :)

I knew they could do it. *cough* Deb. *cough*

I'm glad they could come back. :D

Jennay
03-15-2005, 01:04 AM

Yep. :)

Éowyn
03-17-2005, 07:25 AM
okay after almost a week to think about it i have come to conclusion that mardy has doen one thing better than andy! yes really! what i hear you yell well he didn't wear those stupid sock that cover half his lovely legs and gives him dumbass tan lines.!

yes honestly that is all i can think of! but hey it's a positive right? oh okay i am insane!

Dinkie
03-17-2005, 08:15 AM
Éowyn, your avatar :haha: :haha: !!!!!

aceit
03-19-2005, 02:39 PM
okay after almost a week to think about it i have come to conclusion that mardy has doen one thing better than andy! yes really! what i hear you yell well he didn't wear those stupid sock that cover half his lovely legs and gives him dumbass tan lines.!
I agree. I strongly dislike big socks. :p

Deboogle!.
03-19-2005, 04:16 PM
Yes, but I'd rather andy wear ankle braces and not get hurt :)

MissFairy
03-19-2005, 05:02 PM
i like the ankle braces and long socks :o (and the injury thing is important, andy can rock it)

Éowyn
03-20-2005, 03:41 AM
i don't mind the ankle braces it's the bloody socks! and tan lines!

Éowyn
03-20-2005, 03:50 AM
Yes, but I'd rather andy wear ankle braces and not get hurt :)

but he can wear the braces without socks. :p

aceit
03-20-2005, 04:16 AM
but he can wear the braces without socks. :p
Yeah.

Wait, but no. That may get gross.

Oh well. YAY FOR MARDY AND LOW SOCKS. ;)