Davis Cup Matches? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Davis Cup Matches?

holagirl56
03-07-2005, 12:41 AM
If the US loses this Davis Cup round, will ESPN stop showing Davis Cup matches?

Most likely because their whole case is focused on the Americans. But I really wanted to watch some Davis Cup this year.

Coleburg83
03-07-2005, 12:42 AM
I don't think Croatia-Romania would get very good ratings.

If you want to watch others, get a satellite or move.

SwissMister1
03-07-2005, 04:48 PM
They might show the U.S. relagation tie in September on ESPN classic or something, but I'm not even sure of that. No chance of any other countries' ties being shown.

MissMoJo
03-07-2005, 04:56 PM
They begrudgingly gave some precious airtime to this tie, which involved Americans. I don't see them being bothered now that we're out

TheBoiledEgg
03-07-2005, 05:12 PM
in UK
Sky Sports cant show GB matches (on BBC) so they show full coverage of another tie.
this weekend it was FRA vs SWE.

hopefully they show RUS vs FRA next or me thinks they will show AUS vs ARG in middle of night :o

get a pretty good deal over here ;)
and with odd satellite package you can easily access alot of others too.

onewoman74
03-07-2005, 05:17 PM
That's a good question...but we should all know that answer by now.

Angle Queen
03-07-2005, 06:44 PM
If the US loses this Davis Cup round, will ESPN stop showing Davis Cup matches?You mean they actually showed this tie? :rolleyes:

khyber
03-07-2005, 06:49 PM

Most likely because their whole case is focused on the Americans. But I really wanted to watch some Davis Cup this year.ESPN never showed any Davis Cup last year that didn't involve the Americans. They are not commited to DC coverage since it is of marginal interest to the basic American sports fan.

If you want to see other DC coverage you will need to get your hands on the Tennis Channel. They showed a lot last year and so far this year they have covered France/Sweden.

holagirl56
03-08-2005, 12:03 AM
You mean they actually showed this tie? :rolleyes:

You're right. How stupid of me to think that.

aceit
03-08-2005, 12:06 AM
ESPN never showed any Davis Cup last year that didn't involve the Americans. They are not commited to DC coverage since it is of marginal interest to the basic American sports fan.
That's because they made it all the way until the final.

I doubt they will, but I REALLY hope they can show coverage.

jmgsdoubsprtnr
03-08-2005, 12:34 AM

Most likely because their whole case is focused on the Americans. But I really wanted to watch some Davis Cup this year.
probably, because the people that work at ESPN are assholes, and focus on america only. you *might* get to see a highlight or 2 from the final. :mad:

CassL
03-08-2005, 12:37 AM
Noooooooooooo! Why didn't I think of this when I rooted for Croatia over US? I desperately wanted to see Russia v. US semifinal on ESPN.

BiancaUL
03-08-2005, 12:49 AM
because the people that work at ESPN are assholes, and focus on america only

They're not assholes (at least not because of this).

They're all about the bottom line. They know the average viewer of ESPN/ESPN2/ESPNEWS/ESPNClassic isn't going to be as likely to watch something as nationalistic as DC if their nation isn't playing.

smucav
03-08-2005, 01:44 AM
According to their online schedule, The Tennis Channel aired the France v. Sweden tie.

tennnisgirl7
03-08-2005, 02:57 AM
I don't know if ESPN will stop showing it but after I saw it in person I thought it really sucked and ESPN probably wont show it again because they really werent playing well the USA at least. ( im not trying to be rude to the USA I was and still am rooting for them anyway but really why did you have to lose to the croations).

helloworld40
03-08-2005, 03:34 AM
hey tennisgirl, even though USA lost, it must have been great to watch this in person though, no? ESPN2 showed Roddick-Ljubicic and the contest was really really competitive and dramatic; with all due respect, I can't believe you didn't find a good match ... I mean I had to admire both players for giving it their all.

Roddick lost because he couldn't adapt his strategy (he tried blasting Ljubicic off the court -- that didn't work) and couldn't respond to that shot low slice Ljubicic kept throwing him which lured him towards the net where Roddick was very vulnerable. Too bad, wanted him to win, even though I'm not American.

Leena
03-08-2005, 06:33 AM
ESPN used to show parts of the final when the US lost early.

But, that's about the best you can hope for.

And, the US beating up on India or something in the relegation round.