03-04-2005, 10:42 AM
Good luck against Chile :bounce:

thelma
03-04-2005, 04:00 PM
Misha lost to Gonzo :( :mad: but Marat wins 6-1 3-6 6-3 7-6 :yeah:

Russia ties Chile 1-1

Fergie
03-04-2005, 10:43 PM
I will not cheer for Misha or Marat this time ;)

The only good thing is that I saw both matchs today :)

sol
03-04-2005, 11:17 PM
I will not cheer for Misha or Marat this time ;)

I know ;)

The only good thing is that I saw both matchs today

I didn't :sad:

Misha :rolleyes:

Fergie
03-04-2005, 11:23 PM
Misha didn't play bad at all, but in the last 2 sets he seemed a bit slow in his movements ... I hope that Misha doesn't have problems with his knee again :sad:

sol
03-05-2005, 04:37 PM
Good work, Misha and Marat! :yeah: :dance: :D

http://www.sportinglife.com/tennis/news/story_get.dor?STORY_NAME=international_feed/05/03/05/TENNIS_Rus-Davis_Cup.html

RUSSIA MOVE INTO LEAD

Russia moved into a 2-1 lead over Chile by winning the doubles rubber on Saturday in their Davis Cup first-round match in the World Group.

Australian Open champion Marat Safin and Mikhail Youzhny were too good for Fernando Gonzalez and Adrian Garcia.

They wrapped up the match in straight sets, winning 6-3 6-4 6-3.

Russia captain Shamil Tarpischev's decision to select Safin and Youzhny was something of a surprise as his two singles players were expected to rest with Nikolay Davydenko and Igor Andreev slated originally for the doubles.

http://www.thestate.com/mld/thestate/11060892.htm
Posted on Sat, Mar. 05, 2005

Russia leads Chile in Davis Cup 2-1
Associated Press

MOSCOW - Marat Safin and Mikhail Youzhny beat Fernando Gonzalez and Adrian Garcia 6-3, 6-4, 6-3 in doubles Saturday to give Russia a 2-1 lead over Chile in the first round of the Davis Cup's World Group.

Gonzalez, who won Olympic gold in doubles with Nicolas Massu, defeated Youzhny in the opening singles match Friday to put Chile ahead, but Australian Open champion Safin beat Garcia to tie it at 1 after the first day.

Chile, which is back to the elite group for the first time since 1985, came to Moscow without Massu, who was sidelined with a leg injury.

Safin and Youzhny teamed up in the Davis Cup for the third time and remained unbeaten.

The Russian duo was in full control and broke the Chilean pair in the fourth game of the first set to go up 4-1 and take the set in 28 minutes.

Safin and Youzhny broke the Chileans twice in the third set to close the match in 90 minutes.

In Sunday's reverse singles, Safin was to play Gonzalez, while Youzhny was to face Garcia.

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20050305/ap_on_sp_te_ga_su/ten_dcup_chile_russia_2

Russia Leads Chile in Davis Cup 2-1

1 hour, 18 minutes ago

MOSCOW - Marat Safin and Mikhail Youzhny beat Fernando Gonzalez and Adrian Garcia 6-3, 6-4, 6-3 in doubles Saturday to give Russia a 2-1 lead over Chile in the first round of the Davis Cup's World Group.

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20050305/capt.xsp10103051408.russia_chile_tennis_davis_cup_ xsp101.jpg
Russia's Mikhail Youzhny, left, and Marat Safin, right, during their Davis Cup, World Group first round doubles match against Fernando Gonzalez and Adrian Garcia of Chile, unseen, in Moscow, Saturday, March 5, 2005. (AP Photo/Sergey Ponomarev)

Gonzalez, who won Olympic gold in doubles with Nicolas Massu, defeated Youzhny in the opening singles match Friday to put Chile ahead, but Australian Open champion Safin beat Garcia to tie it at 1 after the first day.

Chile, which is back to the elite group for the first time since 1985, came to Moscow without Massu, who was sidelined with a leg injury.

Safin and Youzhny teamed up in the Davis Cup for the third time and remained unbeaten.

The Russian duo was in full control and broke the Chilean pair in the fourth game of the first set to go up 4-1 and take the set in 28 minutes.

Safin and Youzhny broke the Chileans twice in the third set to close the match in 90 minutes.

In Sunday's reverse singles, Safin was to play Gonzalez, while Youzhny was to face Garcia.

http://www.gotennis.com/news/headline.aspx?headlineID=6006

Russia nose in front in Davis Cup
2005-03-05 15:47:14 GMT (Reuters)

By Anna Bocharova

MOSCOW, March 5 (Reuters) - Marat Safin and Mikhail Ykuzhny teamed up to give Russia a 2-1 lead over Chile in their Davis Cup World Group first round tie on Saturday.

The duo combined to defeat Adrian Garcia and Fernando Gonzalez 6-3 6-4 6-3 in the doubles in 90 minutes.

"We were playing hard from the start ... to finish it off as soon as possible," Safin told a post-match news conference.

Initially, Garcia and Gonzalez were to face Igor Andreev and Nikolay Davydenko in Saturday's doubles.

However, captain Shamil Tarpishchev changed his lineup after Friday's singles matches which were split.

On Friday Youzhny lost to Gonzalez 7-6 5-7 6-3 7-6 while Safin beat Garcia 6-1 3-6 6-3 7-6.

"We knew it yesterday after the match," Safin said. "Tarpishchev asked us whether we were ready to play. We said we were. He said it was better for the team."

On Saturday, Gonzalez, who will face Safin in Sunday's singles, struggled with his serve.

"The problem is explained by elementary tiredness," Gonzalez said. "I will recover by tomorrow."

Safin said he did not expect any surprises on Sunday.

"There will be noth"

***Daniela86***
03-05-2005, 07:12 PM
Misha and Marat won their double match against Garcia/Gonzalez 6/3 6/4 6/3 :worship: :worship: :worship: Russia has now a very good chance:hehehe: to reach the second round! :) congrats Marat and Misha and good luck for tomorrow! :cool: UDACHI!!! :bigclap: :D