Which Defunct ATP Tournament Would You Like to See Come Back? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Which Defunct ATP Tournament Would You Like to See Come Back?

CmonAussie
03-07-2004, 07:42 PM
:) :rolleyes: :cool: :eek: :angel: :wavey: :worship: :eek: :sad:
Looking at the thread about the now deceased Brighton tournament it got me thinking about other ATP tournaments that may have been popular in there heyday, but for one reason or another just suddenly disappeared(usually due to the lack of major sponsors or other economic problems...) :sad: .
-->>So which of the defunct smaller Tournaments would you like to see back for good??..."whatever I said whatever I did I didn't mean it... I just want you back for good... ooohhh yeeaahh.!!."
***Personally being from Aus I'd like to see the Brisbane tournament back up & running, also I don't understand why Sydney Indoor suddenly stopped about 6-years ago>> they had an illustrious history with Connors, McEnroe, Edberg, Becker, Ivanisavic etc... winning & it always seemed to be popular so why did it have to go? :eek:
###Abroad I was also disappointed that many Asian tournaments came & went so quickly; a lot of minor-tournaments eg.Jakarta, Kuala Lumpur, Tokyo Indoor, Hong Kong...etc. seemed to peak in the mid-1990's when Chang was at playing there regularly & contending in the Slams;~ but I guess the 1997 Economic Crisis had something to do with there demise. Anyway I'd like to see all the tournaments I've mentioned come back to life.
It seems strange that UK & America would lose so many of their minor-tournaments in recent years: Brighton, Manchester, London Indoor, Wembley, San Francisco, Atlanta... as well!
^^ :rolleyes: >>Compared with Golf (probably the most similarily International/Individual sport) which has many tournaments being played every week of the year on various tours(PGA, European, Japan, Australasian, Asian, South African), why can't tennis sustain atleast a few more tournaments on it's schedule??

Oops I've gone off on a rant, what I want to know is what tournaments you'd like to see back & any thoughts on why the ATP can't sustain more events around the world?? :wavey:

*Ljubica*
03-07-2004, 07:51 PM
For purely selfish, personal reasons, I'd like to see the London Indoor one come back. Actually I read recently in a British Tennis Magazine that they were seriously thinking of doing this in a year or so, but whether those plans will even come to fruition or not, I really don't know.

MisterQ
03-07-2004, 08:10 PM
No strong feelings about any ATP tournies, but I would love to see the WTA Championships back in New York's Madison Square Garden. (also for purely selfish reasons :) )

Also it might be cool to have a grass tournament held in the US, like they used to have in the old days. maybe in Newport, RI?

jtipson
03-07-2004, 08:41 PM
Also it might be cool to have a grass tournament held in the US, like they used to have in the old days. maybe in Newport, RI?

You might be glad to know that Newport's still going....it's the week after Wimbledon though, so doesn't really attract the top guys. Ginepri won it last year.

Devotee
03-08-2004, 06:10 AM
There used to be a tournament in the Republic of South Africa.

Several players, including Brad Gilbert, got blasted for going there during apartheid. Boris Becker almost got blacklisted in Sweden's tournaments
for playing in South Africa (when he was a young teenager).

Now that they're integrated into the world community again, that
tournament should be resurrected, perhaps as an International Series
Gold.

oxy
03-08-2004, 06:17 AM
:) ###Abroad I was also disappointed that many Asian tournaments came & went so quickly; a lot of minor-tournaments eg.Jakarta, Kuala Lumpur, Tokyo Indoor, Hong Kong...etc. seemed to peak in the mid-1990's when Chang was at playing there regularly & contending in the Slams;~ but I guess the 1997 Economic Crisis had something to do with there demise. Anyway I'd like to see all the tournaments I've mentioned come back to life.

yeah there used to be a heniken open in singapore, atp event where i remembered hewitt, chang, martin, rios, srichaphan graced the event....they took it off now, guess it has to do with the economic crisis...but i wish they bring it back cos it really is the one chance for me to catch some real tennis actions....other events in my region are pretty incompatible with my working schedule!!!!!

Domino
03-08-2004, 06:34 AM
Actually, the tournaments in South Africa need to be revived to increase exposure there. They have weather where they can practice all year around yet they have no ATP tournaments to give WC to young Springboks.

Action Jackson
03-08-2004, 06:37 AM
That was in Johannesburg actually and yes those pricks that went for the money during that time should have got criticised.

They have the facilities and if I had my way and changed the ATP calendar it would be one of the lead up tournaments to the Australian Open.

Though they could play it in Cape Town instead of Jo'burg.

Domino
03-08-2004, 06:42 AM
Thing is, I don't think they have a challenger either, and only a few futures. However, I was speaking to Kevin Curren during an interview this year, and he said that he was working on some major changes for the next couple of years. GWE, that is actually a great idea to hold a tournament in Cape Town as a Tune-up for the Australian.

Action Jackson
03-08-2004, 06:44 AM
I have plenty more of those, but someone with what I would propose wouldn't have a chance in hell.

maratski
03-08-2004, 01:31 PM
Wasn't singapore replaced by a tournament in china?

alfonsojose
03-08-2004, 02:54 PM
Copa Club Colombia, Bogota, Colombia (clay) :sad:

CmonAussie
03-08-2004, 02:57 PM
Yeah South Africa certainly deserves to get a regular ATP Tournament back there. I remember there were some good finals at the Johanasberg event^ 87 there was a classic 5-set Final between Brad Gilbert & Pat Cash.
-->> I don't understand why Golf seems to be going from strength-to-strengh (more Tours, more tournaments, bigger sponsorships, more TV coverage...etc.), while at the same time Tennis seems to be stagnating.
***The prizemoney even for successful regular Tour events like Sydney, Queens, Tokyo, San Jose... hasn't increased with the rate of inflation in the past 15 years.
~~>>## I really hope the new generation of star players: Federer, Roddick, Hewitt, Ferrero, Nadal(soon) etc.. can promote the game & rekindle enough interest to get TV audiences, major sponsors & minor tournaments to boom again & get tennis back where it belongs at the forefront of International Sports(too much coverage of Golf, Soccer, Rugby & F1 for my liking).

Aphex
03-08-2004, 06:41 PM
golf :mad:

tangerine_dream
03-08-2004, 07:02 PM
Whatever happened to the Canada Open? Not enough Canuks? :)

Deboogle!.
03-08-2004, 07:07 PM
Whatever happened to the Canada Open? Not enough Canuks? :)

Isn't that what they call TMS canada since it alternates locations every other year? Or am I delusional and making this up?

Devotee
03-08-2004, 07:13 PM
I was speaking to Kevin Curren during an interview this year, and he said that he was working on some major changes for the next couple of years.

Domino, how did you get to speak with Kevin Curren?

tangerine_dream
03-08-2004, 09:38 PM
Isn't that what they call TMS canada since it alternates locations every other year? Or am I delusional and making this up?

There is TMS Toronto but is it the same thing as the Canadian Open? I swear, I thought there used to be a Canada Open and then it just stopped happening. :confused: too lazy to go look it up right now

Action Jackson
03-08-2004, 09:41 PM
Nice try at being witty tangerinus.

TennisLurker
03-09-2004, 12:28 AM
Domino, how did you get to speak with Kevin Curren?

yeah, how did you get to speak to him?

BTW, I always play with Kevin Curren in super final match tennis. :p

Frommage A Trois
07-15-2004, 10:34 AM
Bring back the South African Open or perhaps the Prague tournament.

Action Jackson
07-15-2004, 11:35 AM
It would be good to see Geneva back again, that's where I remember Rosset winning his 1st tournament as a wildcard.

They should move Valencia back to Mallorca.

Zetlandsk
07-15-2004, 12:07 PM
They should play in Mallorca again or Athens.

CmonAussie
07-15-2004, 12:32 PM
They should play in Mallorca again or Athens.
;) :worship: :angel: :cool:

--->> Defunct Threads you want BACK*!?! :p

BTW~ Yeah I think Athens deserves a regular slot on the ATP tour calendar; perhaps with the great refurbishing of the tennis facilities for the Olympics will assist in getting an IS event up & running again from next year :confused: :angel: !

Zetlandsk
07-15-2004, 12:38 PM
;) :worship: :angel: :cool:

--->> Defunct Threads you want BACK*!?! :p

BTW~ Yeah I think Athens deserves a regular slot on the ATP tour calendar; perhaps with the great refurbishing of the tennis facilities for the Olympics will assist in getting an IS event up & running again from next year :confused: :angel: !

Never thought of that actually, but as long as the surface was clay, that is what it was before the hardcourt that they are putting down for the Games.

joeb_uk
07-15-2004, 12:41 PM
definately the brighton one, im closeby so would love to be able to go to a atp event, and not just eastbourne wta! what was the standard of the brighton tournament?

Zetlandsk
07-15-2004, 12:52 PM
definately the brighton one, im closeby so would love to be able to go to a atp event, and not just eastbourne wta! what was the standard of the brighton tournament?

I am not sure about Brighton, but I do know that, one of your faves along with Lurker and GWH, otherwise known as Felix Mantilla won Bournemouth twice and Albert Costa won it once in the 4 years it was around.

Zetlandsk
07-15-2004, 12:54 PM
Brighton was an indoor tournament that Henman won.

Here is the link.

http://www.itftennis.com/mens/tournaments/drawsheetbyRound.asp?tournament=1100000709&event=

nitsansh
07-15-2004, 08:26 PM
I want Ramat Hasharon back!!!

joeb_uk
07-15-2004, 09:12 PM
ahh felix nice! theres still the bournemouth future (which monfils won this year, on clay)

joeb_uk
07-15-2004, 09:13 PM
actually the brighton one doesnt look that bad! where was it held exactly?

RonE
07-15-2004, 09:39 PM
I would like to see the TMC back in the Frankfurt Festhalle where it was between 1990 and 1995- I remember the atmosphere there especially when Boris was playing was incredible!

Haasfan
07-16-2004, 07:14 PM
I would like to see the US Open and Aus Open back on grass. Not reallly a gone tournament, but a major change all the same.

joeb_uk
07-16-2004, 07:35 PM
i really do feel that more than one grass court slam would be bad! but i suppose its what surface/game you like

Zetlandsk
07-17-2004, 05:51 AM
I would like to see the US Open and Aus Open back on grass. Not reallly a gone tournament, but a major change all the same.

That would be too much, as the Slams goes the surfaces are fine as they are.

Action Jackson
02-28-2005, 01:59 PM
I'm a bit bored at the moment and I was wondering which defunct tournament or maybe a current one that has been moved from it's old venue. In a perfect world which tournament would you like to see back.

I wished the Mallorca tournament never moved to Valencia. It was a really cool venue in an old bullring and the crowd were right on top of the action and gave it plenty of atmosphere.

Plus also Ferrero won his first tournament there and Gaudio won there as well.

At the same time I do miss the green clay events in the US and it would be good to see them play at Boston again.

jole
02-28-2005, 02:14 PM
I wish Atlanta would return. It was a nice intimate clay event that had been around for quite a long time. Rarely did it have a hugely star-studded entry list, but most of the time it was quite alright. Sponsorship issues blow. Viva la green clay.

*Ljubica*
02-28-2005, 02:18 PM
From a purely personal point of view I would like to see the Battersea (London) one that used to take place in February return to the circuit. Nice and local for me :)

Action Jackson
02-28-2005, 02:25 PM
Geneva is another one I would like to see return. It used to have some good fields and winners as well. It's the only time I really enjoyed the city when the event was on, and then they lost it in the early 90s and it went to the Zagreb indoors.

It's a challenger now and then so is the infamous Prague tournament.

RonE
02-28-2005, 02:29 PM
I would like to see TMS Madrid return to it's former venue in Stuttgart- also the TMC when back when it was played in the Frankfurt Festhalle was wicked :rocker2:

jole
02-28-2005, 02:30 PM
What about the great Bournemouth? I'm sure some people around that neck of the woods wish it was still around. Clay in England had to be a nice change of pace.

Action Jackson
02-28-2005, 02:33 PM
What about the great Bournemouth? I'm sure some people around that neck of the woods wish it was still around. Clay in England had to be a nice change of pace.

Felix Mantilla won it twice, so it had to be a great tournament. :)

Costa won it as well I am not sure what happened to it, except that Voinea won the last one.

RonE
02-28-2005, 02:34 PM
Oh, and i preffered the time when Hamburg was played before Rome :)

Action Jackson
02-28-2005, 02:36 PM
The weather was worse then RonE, though it made the court slower hahaha.

jole
02-28-2005, 02:36 PM
Ostrava also seemed to be a nice tournament. Events in the Czech Republic sure have been going away a bit it seems.

David Kenzie
02-28-2005, 02:39 PM
I wish the "Open Passing-Shot de Bordeaux" would return as there isn't anything near Bordeaux anymore. I went there once when I was about 12 and loved it, I saw Ivanisevic playing a doubles match which i really enjoyed.
Anyway I heard that the director of the club it was played at (Villa Primrose) is trying to get a Challenger event up and running this year so, fingers crossed for 2006 :)

RonE
02-28-2005, 02:40 PM
The weather was worse then RonE, though it made the court slower hahaha.

:lol: True i remember it. Still is pretty shitty weather there now ;)

Action Jackson
02-28-2005, 02:42 PM
:lol: True i remember it. Still is pretty shitty weather there now ;)

That is true.

Yes, I remember the Bourdeaux tournament. I think they used to get some good wine when they won the event.

*Ljubica*
02-28-2005, 02:43 PM

Yes we do - Bournemouth was fun :) And so was the indoor one we had in Brighton - I was there at the match when Goran broke all his racquets and had to retire - that was great fun too :haha:

RonE
02-28-2005, 02:43 PM
Oh, and I also liked it better in the days when Barcelona was played before Monte Carlo.

Neely
02-28-2005, 02:45 PM
I would like to see back:
- Stuttgart Indoor (but I would schedule it not in February; but in October, September, November)
- Philadelphia
- Johannesburg (nice city even though the players are not there for sight seeing)
- Prague

Leena
02-28-2005, 02:45 PM
Any green clay tournaments...

Outside of being an ugly, bland looking surface... it's a great surface to watch tennis on.

High bounces... but not too slow like red clay can be, and generally favors shotmakers.

Plus, it would lower the amount of injuries due to the 123423142 hardcourt tournaments, nowadays.

On the women's side, there's only TWO green clay tournaments, which is just inexcusable. How many is there on the men's side now? None? Lol.

RonE
02-28-2005, 02:47 PM
- Stuttgart Indoor (but I would schedule it not in February; but in October, September, November)
- Philadelphia
- Johannesburg (nice city even though the players are not there for sight seeing)
- Prague

Yes I completely forgot about Philadelphia! I want to see it back too :yippee:

Leena
02-28-2005, 02:50 PM
Yes I completely forgot about Philadelphia! I want to see it back too :yippee:
No. They don't deserve it. The women's tourney now is a total joke. A crappy college arena, and qualifying at a snobby club where us peons can't watch any of the matches.

If it was at whatever arena the 76ers play at, it would be fine.

Action Jackson
02-28-2005, 02:51 PM
Oh, and I also liked it better in the days when Barcelona was played before Monte Carlo.

Barcelona is probably a higher standard than Monte Carlo these days.

Philly yes Lendl loved that event.

Sadly I can understand why Tel Aviv can't be back for the moment.

RonE
02-28-2005, 02:53 PM
Yeah Tel-Aviv :sad:

It used to have decent players- Muster and Ferreira used to play there.

CooCooCachoo
02-28-2005, 02:56 PM
I think Antwerp had an ATP event. That one should return :p

Action Jackson
02-28-2005, 03:02 PM
Yeah Tel-Aviv :sad:

It used to have decent players- Muster and Ferreira used to play there.

The great Tarango and returning to the spiritual home Aaron Krickstein.

Action Jackson
02-28-2005, 03:04 PM
I think Antwerp had an ATP event. That one should return :p

The EC championships and it was a very rich event actually. The winners used to get this gold racquet with diamonds in it, if they won the event 3x within 5 years.

Alvarillo
02-28-2005, 03:26 PM
I would like to see TMS Madrid return to it's former venue in Stuttgart- also the TMC when back when it was played in the Frankfurt Festhalle was wicked :rocker2:

no don't worry since the tournament came to Madrid has become the third most visited in Europe only after Wimby & RG and luckily for me i've seen 3 former Nº1 players winning here, Agassi, Ferrero and last year Safin, so, much better in Madrid. ;) :p

RonE
02-28-2005, 03:38 PM
The EC championships and it was a very rich event actually. The winners used to get this gold racquet with diamonds in it, if they won the event 3x within 5 years.

I think Lendl managed the feat if I remember correctly.

SwissMister1
02-28-2005, 03:41 PM
I'd love to see a tourney in Philadelphia...the Wachovia Center (where the 76ers play) is a really nice facility. I don't think the men would want to play in Villanova University's tiny stadium.

Action Jackson
02-28-2005, 03:44 PM
I think Lendl managed the feat if I remember correctly.

Lendl loved the money and the indoor events.

joeb_uk
02-28-2005, 03:47 PM
definately bournemouth :D its a shame i wasnt a tennis fan like 10 years ago when felix won one of his two titles there :D but i would have only been around 8 at the time. But i would love to see this come back, a claycourt event which isnt too far (no more having to put with every tournament being on damn grass)

JMG
02-28-2005, 03:59 PM
I think Germany needs an indoor event. Maybe Stutgart. I would also like to see the South African tournament again.

vogus
02-28-2005, 05:14 PM
Any green clay tournaments...

Outside of being an ugly, bland looking surface... it's a great surface to watch tennis on.

On the women's side, there's only TWO green clay tournaments, which is just inexcusable..

yep - and they are the two coolest tournaments on the WTA Tour. I go to at least one of them every year.

Green clay is the best surface to PLAY tennis on, as well. :)

I'd bring back that awesome Forest Hills green clay tournie that used to be held in May before the FO. The one where Andre beat Slobodan Milosevic in the final, back in the day. And i'd change Indianopolis back into the US Clay Court Championships.

Horatio Caine
02-28-2005, 05:27 PM
The Battersea tournament :haha:

joeb_uk
02-28-2005, 05:57 PM
Has anyone actually been to this event before?
And also, there is a bournemouth future event which monfils won in 04 played on clay (is this where it was hosted?)

CooCooCachoo
02-28-2005, 06:13 PM

Yes. They now have that for the WTA event. And yes, Lendl did win that.

Andrew.
02-28-2005, 09:44 PM
New Haven. The facility is amazing and the atmosphere is great.

TennisLurker
02-28-2005, 11:01 PM
George thinks green clay is a shitty surface, I liked watching Atlanta, I remember when Chang defeated Baldy in 1995.

TennisLurker
02-28-2005, 11:03 PM
didnt rosset win the racket too?

TennisLurker
02-28-2005, 11:13 PM
According to Javier Frana, Ostrava was the ugliest gloomiest city in the world.
He commentates for espn latin america, I like it when he shares his journeyman anecdotes.

But the country of Lendl and Navratilova deserves a tournament.

Kucera seems to be a tournament killer, he won ostrava in 1997, new haven in 1998 and copenhagen in 2003.

Leena
02-28-2005, 11:58 PM
George thinks green clay is a shitty surface, I liked watching Atlanta, I remember when Chang defeated Baldy in 1995.
I don't understand his hate for green clay.

Frana was cool. I loved when he had a bad day, and was disturbingly erratic with his huge swings.

Domino
03-01-2005, 12:01 AM
There was a south african tournament in Durban, I believe, and I think that is a good place to get the african players some wild cards and entry into some ATP tournaments. There are some good players down there, and Durban is a beatiful place to hold a tournament, if a little bit windy.

TennisLurker
03-01-2005, 12:49 AM
wasnt there an indoors tournament in london, I remember zabaleta beating henman

Action Jackson
03-01-2005, 02:44 AM
wasnt there an indoors tournament in london, I remember zabaleta beating henman

Yes, they had the London indoor and that was where Rosset beat Kafelnikov in a very heated final.

Action Jackson
03-01-2005, 03:01 AM

It's a shitty surface in comparison to red clay this is true, but I do prefer it to hardcourts or grass.

Would I like to see a tournament played on green clay, yes why not it wouldn't be a bad thing. The one in Boston used to get some very good names and good fields, that was a time when the US actually got good internationals playing clay events.

Ostrava is an industrial shithole though they have cleaned it up a lot I can understand why Frana wasn't keen on it.

Leena
03-01-2005, 03:09 AM
So, it's just a speed thing for you. :p

I really don't understand it. There's a million green clay courts in the US. Any site can have a green clay tournament if they want one.

Action Jackson
03-01-2005, 03:13 AM
It's still a bit of shitty surface.Though I have played on it and it didn't do for me and it does pale into comparison with clay mainly because of the different make up of it. Speed is another issue as well.

I am not sure what the reason was they stopped all the ATP tournaments on that surface. Maybe it was a practical thing, they weren't generating enough revenue or the like.

Leena
03-01-2005, 03:17 AM
I think that there's just no time slot for green clay...

If you want proper warmup for RG, you want to play on red clay. Green clay is a very different surface.

Like I've said before... I think IW and Miami should change to green clay, if possible. Especially Miami, where there's always a bunch of injuries. Have a little green clay season from February-April.

Action Jackson
03-01-2005, 03:20 AM
The calendar is stuffed as it is. That is why I said in a perfect world in my OP.

To tell you the truth I'd be happier if Indian Wells or Miami were moved to different dates, didn't exist or change the surfaces, hence we don't live in a perfrct world.

vogus
03-01-2005, 03:23 AM
It's a shitty surface in comparison to red clay

Bullshit. The beauty of green clay is that it's pretty much a uniform and fair surface. There are two big companies who make almost all the courts (Rubico and i forget the other one), so they are well standardized. Red clay on the other hand, every court is made differently, different grain size, color, speed, water absorption, you name it. There are tons of red clay courts that are total crap.

Leena
03-01-2005, 03:25 AM
The biggest problem with the calendar is the Aussie season.

I can see why the Aussies don't want to move the timing of it... but, it really forces things the way they are now.

jole
03-01-2005, 03:25 AM
Har Tru being the other major brand of green clay I believe? Dark green crushed stone.

Action Jackson
03-01-2005, 03:27 AM
Bullshit. The beauty of green clay is that it's pretty much a uniform and fair surface. There are two big companies who make almost all the courts (Rubico and i forget the other one), so they are well standardized. Red clay on the other hand, every court is made differently, different grain size, color, speed, water absorption, you name it. There are tons of red clay courts that are total crap.

This coming from someone who thinks Al Costa has a better forehand than backhand. Ok, seriously if they were that good then it would be the standard surface of the ATP.

Funny enough I am aware of what red clay is made from. There are plenty of shitty courts on all surfaces, so what was the point of the last statement.

Fairness is relative and how is it any fairer than Rebound Ace for example. A player is good enough they'll win anywhere.

vogus
03-01-2005, 03:27 AM
Like I've said before... I think IW and Miami should change to green clay, if possible. Especially Miami, where there's always a bunch of injuries. Have a little green clay season from February-April.

IW can't change to green clay - the only culture those people know out in L.A. is concrete - they are so clueless you wouldnt believe it.

Miami on the other hand, has no excuse. Five years ago, when Ericsson took over the sponsorship, it was in the works to actually rip out the hardcourts at Key Biscayne and put in clay, i don't know why it never happened...

jole
03-01-2005, 03:29 AM
Wasn't there a green clay event in god damn North Carolina or something? Pinehurst? I wish this obscure, wacky event still existed. :sad:

Action Jackson
03-01-2005, 03:30 AM
The biggest problem with the calendar is the Aussie season.

I can see why the Aussies don't want to move the timing of it... but, it really forces things the way they are now.

It's not just that actually, but a large factor for sure. There'll be a time when they have to make some very painful restructuring.

The other tournaments would have to be prepared to move dates as well and there won't be a willigness to do that. They could reduce the indoor season.

Action Jackson
03-01-2005, 03:30 AM
Wasn't there a green clay event in god damn North Carolina or something? Pinehurst? I wish this obscure, wacky event still existed. :sad:

Jason Stoltenberg won it.

jole
03-01-2005, 03:32 AM
Jason Stoltenberg won it.

It was Coral Springs he won I believe (omg, yet another wacky, obscure US green clay event I still wish existed). He also made a crap load of finals in Atlanta.

Leena
03-01-2005, 03:33 AM
IW can't change to green clay - the only culture those people know out in L.A. is concrete - they are so clueless you wouldnt believe it.

Miami on the other hand, has no excuse. Five years ago, when Ericsson took over the sponsorship, it was in the works to actually rip out the hardcourts at Key Biscayne and put in clay, i don't know why it never happened...
Ack, that's annoying.

On the women's side, Miami is a death trap. Massive injuries every year. Plus, I've played in Miami, and it really sucks playing there. Hot, and always extremely humid.

I hope we'll soon come to the day where the ATP/WTA wakes up like the NFL has with artificial turf.

Hardcourts shorten careers. I play on the crap, and my knees and feet are always very sore.

Just look at the pathetic state of women's tennis now. Changes need to be made NOW.

Action Jackson
03-01-2005, 03:36 AM
It was Coral Springs he won I believe (omg, yet another wacky, obscure US green clay event I still wish existed). He also made a crap load of finals in Atlanta.

Yes, the fat Fernando Meligieni won Pinehurst beating a has-been Wilander.

Andrew.
03-01-2005, 03:36 AM

Indian Wells is in the Palm Desert. You get more people from the San Diego and La Jolla area than from the LA area at the tournament. Not all of us who have lived in California are clueless.

Miami is just bad. Sticky and hot. I don't know why anyone would play down there on a hardcourt.

Leena
03-01-2005, 03:41 AM
It's not just that actually, but a large factor for sure. There'll be a time when they have to make some very painful restructuring.

The other tournaments would have to be prepared to move dates as well and there won't be a willigness to do that. They could reduce the indoor season.
I don't know the weather in Australia well, but they did have the Olympics there in September. So, it must be quite warm from September-January, at least.

Here would be my plan:

Start the season in late-March at Indian Wells and Miami. Like a week later than they are now. It's a nice way to start the season since they're both 2 week tournaments.

Shorten red clay season a bit... it doesn't need to be so long. That may include having 3 TMS events in 3 straight weeks... but, Monte Carlo needs to be dumped off the list anyway.

Keep May-US Open the same. Maybe add another week of grass tournaments, sacrificing a week before the US Open, but I doubt that would be feasible.

Start the Aussie season in late September-early October, and have the Aussie Open at the end of October to maybe early November.

Then, start the indoor season in November, culminating with the Masters Cup in mid-December.

jole
03-01-2005, 03:46 AM
Maybe add another week of grass tournaments, sacrificing a week before the US Open, but I doubt that would be feasible.

The sacred US Open Series must be preserved in it's entirety, Hamlet Cup included. That is all.

Action Jackson
03-01-2005, 03:46 AM
I had written something like that somewhere else Leena. Though I'd have done it differently.

There is no way that Monte Carlo will go anywhere if there is a restructuring going on.

vogus
03-01-2005, 03:47 AM
Ack, that's annoying.

On the women's side, Miami is a death trap. Massive injuries every year. Plus, I've played in Miami, and it really sucks playing there. Hot, and always extremely humid.

I hope we'll soon come to the day where the ATP/WTA wakes up like the NFL has with artificial turf.

Hardcourts shorten careers. I play on the crap, and my knees and feet are always very sore.

Just look at the pathetic state of women's tennis now. Changes need to be made NOW.

the one good thing about hardcourts, and i really despise playing on them unless they have a brand new paint job and are extremely slow, is that they made tennis so much more popular and accessible in the United States. If not for hardcourts, there probly wouldn't even be a big-ass tennis message board like MTF where we could have this conversation. Hardcourts are our national surface and the USO has become too much of an institution to be played on anything else. But yeah, the increased popularity of the sport due to plentiful hardcourts comes at a price.

Sorry Andrew, i know there is a minority population of enlightened people living in SoCal, but not near enough to ever see a claycourt tournament there.

Leena
03-01-2005, 03:51 AM
The sacred US Open Series must be preserved in it's entirety, Hamlet Cup included. That is all.
If Sopot was added to the US Open Series, we'd all love it.

vogus
03-01-2005, 03:52 AM
They will never move the Aussy Open. The January date has been successful beyond their wildest dreams - they compete with nothing, either nationally or internationally. It's the world's premier January sporting event.

Action Jackson
03-01-2005, 03:55 AM
How the brains trust worked it out was that there would be 39 weeks in the season, including Davis Cup. So that would be 2 months free for the elite players and 37 for the rest.

Starting Feb the first 4 weeks are the lead up to the Aus Open. There'd be a TMS event in week 2. They are glorified warm ups for the Slams in reality.

Then in Mar the first 2 weeks the Aus Open. The weather is usually good and not as warm as in Jan, plus they have had enough lead in for the tournament. That would be followed by the first round of the Davis Cup.

After that starting Wk 8 of March then it will be the claycourt season finishing at RG (Week 19), there will be no more claycourt events after that.

Week 20 through to Week 24 would be the grass season. The Davis Cup quarters after that and then from Week 26-32 it's the hardcourt season finishing at the US Open.

DC semi finals then 4 weeks of indoor events. Then the TMC and Davis Cup final which would finish in the 3rd week of November.

In the North American section is the only one where 2 TMS events would be played.

Most of the players would have Novemeber, December and Jan free from tournaments.

Yes it would be a majority of hardcourt/Rebound Ace events, but not by a huge amount and there would be clear distinction between the surfaces.

Action Jackson
03-01-2005, 03:56 AM
They will never move the Aussy Open. The January date has been successful beyond their wildest dreams - they compete with nothing, either nationally or internationally. It's the world's premier January sporting event.

Considering there are plans to move it in 2007 to March.

vogus
03-01-2005, 03:57 AM
Considering there are plans to move it in 2007 to March.

won't happen.

Leena
03-01-2005, 04:02 AM
I know. That's why I said that they'll never change it. :p

I've heard about the plans to change it to March, but I don't know if that's official yet.

And the other issues with it... I doubt Indian Wells would be pleased with it. There's no way they'd be able to have any night matches if it was moved to February.

vogus
03-01-2005, 04:32 AM
the other reason they won't move the Aussy is that IW would likely cease to exist, because there is just nowhere else to put it - and nobody in their right mind wants to schedule a five million dollar tournament out of existence.

Action Jackson
03-01-2005, 04:34 AM
won't happen.

:wavey: Paul McNamee.

Pleasure to meet you.

Action Jackson
03-01-2005, 04:35 AM
the other reason they won't move the Aussy is that IW would likely cease to exist, because there is just nowhere else to put it - and nobody in their right mind wants to schedule a five million dollar tournament out of existence.

What's more important the credibility and longevity of the game or IW?

Anyway for what reason couldn't IW be held in Feb.

TennisLurker
03-01-2005, 04:44 AM
I always thought lipton , indian wells and aussie open should be on the same surface

vogus
03-01-2005, 04:45 AM

If IW were held a month sooner, they would get screwed every third year by rain and/or freezing weather, and night matches would be out of the question.

IW is a huge tournament, do you really think it needs to be sacrificed for the "credibility and longevity" of the game?

if the AO starts on say, March 7, assume two weeks of Aus warmups, that means IW would have to be held from Feb 7-20. And Miami would have to be held from Jan 24-Feb 6.

Where's the longer off-season? I thought the point of moving the Aussy was to give the players a Dec-Jan-Feb off-season.

Action Jackson
03-01-2005, 04:52 AM
If IW were held a month sooner, they would get screwed every third year by rain and/or freezing weather, and night matches would be out of the question.

IW is a huge tournament, do you really think it needs to be sacrificed for the "credibility and longevity" of the game?

if the AO starts on say, March 7, assume two weeks of Aus warmups, that means IW would have to be held from Feb 7-20. And Miami would have to be held from Jan 24-Feb 6.

Where's the longer off-season? I thought the point of moving the Aussy was to give the players a Dec-Jan-Feb off-season.

Thanks for that as I wasn't aware of the weather patterns of IW at that time of the year.

Did I say IW should be sacrificed. It's a huge tournament money wise, but it doesn't have the history or prestige of Hamburg, Monte Carlo, Rome and even the Canadian Open which have been around much longer.

Miami wouldn't be played in January anyway. I mean there are too many TMS events on hardcourts for a start and one of them would have to go, so take your pick at which one?

Ok, if players for the most part are finishing in the first week of November and the tournaments are beginining in Feb.

That means 3 weeks of November, December and January are free from tennis, except for the players in TMC and Davis Cup. How is that not longer than what is now.

It should be a 64 draw for IW.

Action Jackson
03-01-2005, 04:54 AM
I always thought lipton , indian wells and aussie open should be on the same surface

Why is that?

TennisLurker
03-01-2005, 05:04 AM
Because it would make sense to have those 2 tms as preparation for the aussie open

lipton and indian wells could be in february and the aussie open in march

Action Jackson
03-01-2005, 05:09 AM
Because it would make sense to have those 2 tms as preparation for the aussie open

lipton and indian wells could be in february and the aussie open in march

You meant it in that context, but would they have the bottle to do that. I was suggesting that there would only be 1 TMS before the AO and not 2.

What I also think is that there should be a TMS on grass at the expense of a hardcourt one. That however will always be a dream. For that to happen it would be the extra week that would be allowed under those conditions I had earlier.

As one would TMS there would go and one of them would have to be moved. I mean they were mad enough to play Delray Beach after the US Open, not that I would ever suggest an outdoor hardcourt TMS after the US Open.

Leena
03-01-2005, 05:13 AM

We don't read my posts.

So, I'll put you on ignore.

Action Jackson
03-01-2005, 05:19 AM
We don't read my posts.

So, I'll put you on ignore.

Considering we have been conversing in this thread, wouldn't that lead to the conclusion that I read your posts. I always have.

I've read how much you hate hardcourt as a surface agreed, read the reasons as to why green clay isn't practical agreed.

You got my attention. :p

Leena
03-01-2005, 05:23 AM
I mentioned the part about IW weather.

Sorry, I'm in a grouchy mood.

Newport for the TMS grass spot, btw.

Action Jackson
03-01-2005, 05:26 AM
My fault I missed it Leena.

If Newport was a TMS grass event it would definitely get rid of the major Mickey Mouse status it has and that mightn't be a bad thing.

The thought of Federer playing a tournment at Newport. That's the only way he would do it.

Leena
03-01-2005, 05:28 AM
Newport isn't a Mickey Mouse tourney, since no top players play it. I don't think Andrew ever even has.

I believe Rogerer already plays a Mickey Mouse tourney that week.

But, it's Rogerer. So, it's excused.

Action Jackson
03-01-2005, 05:31 AM
Yes and Gstaad is a Mickey Mouse event yeah right.

Back to your good ways Leena don't disappoint.

Even Andrew has enough sense not to play there.

Leena
03-01-2005, 05:36 AM
It is a Mickey Mouse event. I don't care how many top 20 players go there.

Playing a clay event immediately after Wimbledon, is accepting defeat for the hardcourt season.

Action Jackson
03-01-2005, 05:40 AM
It is a Mickey Mouse event. I don't care how many top 20 players go there.

Playing a clay event immediately after Wimbledon, is accepting defeat for the hardcourt season.

I'll answer this in the Mickey Mouse thread.

Coleburg83
03-01-2005, 05:48 AM
Tel Aviv.

Hottest women in the world and they wear sexy uniforms. They need to televise that.

BTW....Kick some ass Leena.

Aphex
03-01-2005, 05:52 AM
The good old season debate again? Skip the fall indoor season in Europe. Either move those events to February or abandon them. Have the DC final and the TMC in September after the US Open. Have October, November and December off.

Aphex
03-01-2005, 05:53 AM
And then outlaw hardcourts and indoor carpet.

Action Jackson
03-01-2005, 05:55 AM
And then outlaw hardcourts and indoor carpet.

That would upset some people for sure.

Aphex
03-01-2005, 05:59 AM
Yeah, maybe I should've put one of those ironic emoticons after that one?

Action Jackson
03-01-2005, 06:02 AM
They should bring back Copenhagen as that was the only event Vinciguerra won.

Coleburg83
03-01-2005, 06:03 AM
Davis Cup should be played as one big event each year or every other year like Ryder Cup.

It would be more popular and have better players, but common sense never seems to prevail over the organizers.

Aphex
03-01-2005, 06:06 AM
That was probably because he could go back to mum in Malmö over night and get fed properly. Mikael Tillström said Vinci's diet was mainly kebab and fries when he took over as his coach. :rolleyes: (probably an exaggeration, but funny)

Aphex
03-01-2005, 06:07 AM
DC is ITF's money-making machine. They don't want mess to much with it.

Action Jackson
03-01-2005, 06:10 AM
Tennis record crowd for the final and sellout crowds for many WG group ties in 2004, yes that's very unhealthy for Davis Cup.

Don't play it in the one venue, look at the Fed Cup not the epitome of success.

The scheduling needs to be looked at for sure, but playing at one venue takes away the home advantage which provides the atmosphere and the challenge for the away team to win under difficult conditons.

Tennis needs to be played everywhere and not just concentrated in a few places. An example Brazil vs Australia played in South Africa that wouldn't work. Take away the home crowd atmosphere and take away the varying of surfaces and it loses a large part of what it's about.

Every 2 years just to suit certain people I remember when Sampras and Agassi were coming out with that argument in the 90s.

Action Jackson
03-01-2005, 06:12 AM
That was probably because he could go back to mum in Malmö over night and get fed properly. Mikael Tillström said Vinci's diet was mainly kebab and fries when he took over as his coach. :rolleyes: (probably an exaggeration, but funny)

He beat Safin there didn't he? Time for the nordens folk in non-tennis. ;)

Aphex
03-01-2005, 06:17 AM
Yes, I agree DC is pretty ok as it is. Perhaps they should give the previous year's finalists byes in the first round if they should change something. But that would mean fewer countries in the World Group to get TV money from, so that won't happen.

Action Jackson
03-01-2005, 06:19 AM
Yes, I think the finalists should get byes, but as you said Aphex, it's all about money for the ITF.

Btw, what can name can I use for the non-tennis thread.

Aphex
03-01-2005, 06:21 AM
He beat Safin there didn't he? Time for the nordens folk in non-tennis. ;)
Yes, apparently in the SF 6-3 6-0. Who did he beat in the final? ;)
So what are you going to call it? Polar bears and hot blondes chat thread?

Action Jackson
03-01-2005, 06:22 AM
Yes, apparently in the SF 6-3 6-0. Who did he beat in the final? ;)

Larsson 6-3 7-6 and Schuettler was the only one to take a set from him.

Yes, I have made references to the bears and ladies in the title. ;)

Aphex
03-01-2005, 06:24 AM
Yes, I think the finalists should get byes, but as you said Aphex, it's all about money for the ITF.

Btw, what can name can I use for the non-tennis thread.
Polar bears and hot blondes chat thread? Sorry, can't come up with any better right now. Time to sleep. :wavey:

joske
03-01-2005, 06:55 AM
... Plus also Ferrero won his first tournament there and Gaudio won there (Mallorca) as well.

Mallorca must be in the top of my list too :yeah: playing tennis in a bullring is good because:

1) then they can't have real bullfights in it at that moment
2) it's damn cool.. when I visited Spain a year ago I visited the town of Ronda and they are believed to have one of the oldest bullrings and let me tell you it was BEAUTIFUL!

CooCooCachoo
03-01-2005, 08:13 AM

Talking about Mickey Mouse events :p

CooCooCachoo
03-01-2005, 08:15 AM
To answer someone's question, Marc Rosset didn't win the Diamond Racquet in Antwerp. He only won the event once.

Leena
03-01-2005, 12:56 PM
The women's winner always get the racquet, I think.

Sexist.

Andrew.
03-01-2005, 01:24 PM
Newport isn't a Mickey Mouse tourney, since no top players play it. I don't think Andrew ever even has.

I believe Rogerer already plays a Mickey Mouse tourney that week.

But, it's Rogerer. So, it's excused.
Newport is a fun tournament in a fun city. :)

Leena
03-01-2005, 01:25 PM
Newport is a fun tournament in a fun city. :)
I so need to go to that tourney some year.

I wish they still had the women's event they had... but that was 15 years ago now. :(

Andrew.
03-01-2005, 01:28 PM
I so need to go to that tourney some year.

I wish they still had the women's event they had... but that was 15 years ago now. :(
They used to get good players there too.

It's a really nice tournament. And the area is great. Beaches. Clubs. Shops. Only bad thing is that the weather is total hit or miss. They can be fogged in for like days at a time.

Leena
03-01-2005, 01:31 PM
Fog is tolerable.

I don't recall when they used to get good players. They had crap winners even back in the 80's.

The women's event wasn't that bad though. Although, it was a Tier 2.

Andrew.
03-01-2005, 01:33 PM
Fog is tolerable.

I don't recall when they used to get good players. They had crap winners even back in the 80's.

The women's event wasn't that bad though. Although, it was a Tier 2.
I was talking about the women's field.

They have good clubs in Newport. Thames Street Station is one that comes to mind.

Action Jackson
03-01-2005, 11:58 PM
Talking about Mickey Mouse events :p

That is one of the ultimate though the year Vinci won he beat Safin and Larsson, but it was definitely one of the elite in Mickey Mouse events.

Action Jackson
07-25-2005, 07:22 AM
To answer someone's question, Marc Rosset didn't win the Diamond Racquet in Antwerp. He only won the event once.

Rosset should have been given one anyway, just for being such an indoor guru, though I wonder if Lendl still has his somewhere.

Raquel
07-25-2005, 06:16 PM
I'd like the indoor event in Battersea to return as it was in London and that's where I saw Roger for the first time. We're lucky though to have Wimbledon and Queens in London so can't complain too much.

Matty
07-26-2005, 10:14 PM
They should bring back Bournemouth,We need some clay court events in the UK back on the ATP tour.

What did happen to the Brighton event ? They had it for 1 year and then it was gone.

Raquel
07-29-2005, 11:50 PM
They should bring back Bournemouth,We need some clay court events in the UK back on the ATP tour.

What did happen to the Brighton event ? They had it for 1 year and then it was gone.
According to this it was replaced by the Brazil Open - http://66.102.9.104/search?q=cache:PkiBs_-9I2kJ:www.atptennis.com/en/media/reports/01_brazil.pdf+Samsung+Open+tennis+Brighton&hl=en

I'm not sure if it was bought by the Brazil Federation but the only year it was held, it was in November the week before the Masters Cup. Looks like it was then moved to September for 2001 but obviously went to Brazil instead.
It wasn't a very big event anyway. I think Tim was the only top 20 player who played it and it's his only tournament won in the UK. I think it's more remembered for being the event where Goran had to retire because he ran out of rackets after breaking all the ones he had.

As for Bournemouth I think I remember it was played on green clay the week after the US Open and sometimes between the US Open and Davis Cup so it was also a bit awkwardly scheduled. Coming off a tough American hardcourts season not too many would really want play the week straight after the US Open on green clay, especially not many of the top 50. I think Felix won it a couple of times though :cat:

Action Jackson
12-21-2005, 08:22 AM
From the rumours that are going around, soon Kitzbühel will be a tournament that I don't want to see go away.

*Ljubica*
12-21-2005, 09:21 AM
From the rumours that are going around, soon Kitzbühel will be a tournament that I don't want to see go away.

The answer to the Kitz thing will be finally known in January - but I don't personally think it will go away - it will be "saved" at the last minute!!!! ;)

Action Jackson
12-21-2005, 10:15 AM
The answer to the Kitz thing will be finally known in January - but I don't personally think it will go away - it will be "saved" at the last minute!!!! ;)

Hope mafioso doesn't get his way and there are enough wealthy people in Kitz, they could buy it.

Jimnik
12-21-2005, 11:09 AM
I think Austria has too many tournaments. Ok, maybe Kitzbuhel and Vienna are nice events but what about St. Polten? Does a country, with population 8 million, really deserve 3 ATP events?

I have nothing against Austria. I go skiing there every year - I love the country. But they mainly love their winter sports so can they really give tennis enough attention for 3 tournaments a year?

At the moment, the UK has only 3 tournaments a year and the Brits love their tennis. I reckon they should reinstate Brighton.

Action Jackson
12-21-2005, 11:24 AM
I think Austria has too many tournaments. Ok, maybe Kitzbuhel and Vienna are nice events but what about St. Polten? Does a country, with population 8 million, really deserve 3 ATP events?

I have nothing against Austria. I go skiing there every year - I love the country. But they mainly love their winter sports so can they really give tennis enough attention for 3 tournaments a year?

At the moment, the UK has only 3 tournaments a year and the Brits love their tennis. I reckon they should reinstate Brighton.

Considering Vienna and Kitz are among the oldest on the tour and what about St Pölten. Who plays there? It only exists now as the last tournament before RG.

The UK only cares about tennis during Wimbledon time, well not from the true tennis fans view, but by the general populace and they have a Slam, is that not good enough.

juanito7
12-21-2005, 11:43 AM
the tournament of toulouse in france was really great, all the WC went to junior player, it was great to see their first steps on pro tour, and it was a great opportunity for them, now you see tournaments offering wild card to oldies or regional players, that's not bad, but that's not the future!

Action Jackson
12-21-2005, 11:47 AM
the tournament of toulouse in france was really great, all the WC went to junior player, it was great to see their first steps on pro tour, and it was a great opportunity for them, now you see tournaments offering wild card to oldies or regional players, that's not bad, but that's not the future!

Ah! Toulouse I remember that event, big Arnaud Boetsch loved that event.

Jimnik
12-21-2005, 01:22 PM
Considering Vienna and Kitz are among the oldest on the tour and what about St Pölten. Who plays there? It only exists now as the last tournament before RG.

The UK only cares about tennis during Wimbledon time, well not from the true tennis fans view, but by the general populace and they have a Slam, is that not good enough.
Why not replace St Polten with a tournament in Brighton? Distance from Roland Garros is shorter so the players would be happier, and the location is nicer.

UK doesn't only care about "Wimbledon time". Did you see the Aberdeen Cup? Also, look at how much attention Murray got for reaching the Bangkok final and playing Henman in the 1st round of Basel. And anyway, we're talking about the week before RG, which is almost the same period as Queens - Nottingham - Wimbledon.

UK loves its tennis and it would be great to have at least one clay tournament in the country. The attendance would certainly be greater than at St Polten.

Action Jackson
12-21-2005, 01:29 PM
Why not replace St Polten with a tournament in Brighton? Distance from Roland Garros is shorter so the players would be happier, and the location is nicer.

Have you ever been to St Pölten? I doubt it. Next problem is that Brighton is not red clay and that is just the height of stupidity to play the event before RG not on the same surface. Most of the top players don't play St Pölten anyway.

UK doesn't only care about "Wimbledon time". Did you see the Aberdeen Cup? Also, look at how much attention Murray got for reaching the Bangkok final and playing Henman in the 1st round of Basel. And anyway, we're talking about the week before RG, which is almost the same period as Queens - Nottingham - Wimbledon.

A Scotland v England exhibition and what does that actually prove? The fact anyone cared about that was cause of the nationalities.

revolution
12-21-2005, 01:32 PM
Mallorca was far superior to Valencia, I say bring that back. I also have contacts in Mallorca who could get me tickets! :p

revolution
12-21-2005, 01:34 PM

Having a GB indoor event would change the way people think, as tennis wouldn't be upper class but instead high-tempo entertainment.

Kitzbuhel is old but in a messed up place in the calendar. It's an ISG, it should go pre-RG and it would get a good field.

Action Jackson
12-21-2005, 01:43 PM
Having a GB indoor event would change the way people think, as tennis wouldn't be upper class but instead high-tempo entertainment.

Kitzbuhel is old but in a messed up place in the calendar. It's an ISG, it should go pre-RG and it would get a good field.

I mean I liked Bournemouth and the Battersea events.

Actually Kitz can't be moved to before RG, there is a thing called climate that would wreck the event totally, not clued up on the geography then.

Stuttgart is ISG and gets a good field, Kitz is up against Umag which has one of the best IS field around, but the field isn't that bad, not worse than Memphis and that hasn't lost it's status.

Jimnik
12-21-2005, 01:46 PM
Have you ever been to St Pölten? I doubt it. Next problem is that Brighton is not red clay and that is just the height of stupidity to play the event before RG not on the same surface. Most of the top players don't play St Pölten anyway.
Have you ever seen Brighton?
Red clay is not a problem. If they can use European red clay for American tournaments, they can do the same for British tournaments. My local club has red clay courts.

I wouldn't expect to see most of the top players but Davydenko, Murray and the other Brits would be there - that would be enough.

A Scotland v England exhibition and what does that actually prove? The fact anyone cared about that was cause of the nationalities.
It proves that we don't just care about "Wimbledon time". Also we had the Masters Cup (for the seniors tour) in the Royal Albert Hall, which was a sell-out.

The truth is that any ATP event held in England would be a sell-out AND would get loads of TV viewers. It would get ten times more attention than St Polten.

Action Jackson
12-21-2005, 02:01 PM
Have you ever seen Brighton?
Red clay is not a problem. If they can use European red clay for American tournaments, they can do the same for British tournaments. My local club has red clay courts.

I wouldn't expect to see most of the top players but Davydenko, Murray and the other Brits would be there - that would be enough.

Ok, who really cares about the tournament before a Slam, they are not taken too seriously, usually the ones before the Aus Open are better cause of the lack of tennis.

You don't get it, that tournament week slot is not the one that is very desirable for the obvious reasons.

It proves that we don't just care about "Wimbledon time". Also we had the Masters Cup (for the seniors tour) in the Royal Albert Hall, which was a sell-out.

The truth is that any ATP event held in England would be a sell-out AND would get loads of TV viewers. It would get ten times more attention than St Polten.

The way you are going on is that tennis is the second most popular sport in the UK and it's not true.

So 4 weeks of tennis in a row including a Slam isn't enough tennis in England. Many countries would love that, but they don't have it.

If it was genuinely interested in people as joeyd said they would make it more accessible to more people than it is.

If Battersea and Bournemouth were so good, why did they get moved? It was cause of security reasons like Tel Aviv, not cause of Mallorca which was too small and they had to move to it a bigger venue to the detriment.

shotgun
12-21-2005, 02:17 PM
It would be interesting if the Brazil Open took place near the biggest Brazilian cities, instead of being held in Costa do Sauipe, a place with restricted access. In the late 80's and early 90's there were GP tournaments held in Guarujá, Rio de Janeiro and Sao Paulo.

A IS tournament in South Africa would also be interesting. There were some in the previous decades (Johannesburg, Sun City, Durban, Pretoria). Though the only date in the current calendar that I see it fitting in is in early January, as a warm-up to the Australian Open. South Africa is in the middle of the way to Australia for South Americans and maybe for some Europeans and North-Americans, so it could have decent fields.

Action Jackson
12-21-2005, 02:20 PM
It would be interesting if the Brazil Open took place near the biggest Brazilian cities, instead of being held in Costa do Sauipe, a place with restricted access. In the late 80's and early 90's there were GP tournaments held in Guarujá, Rio de Janeiro and Sao Paulo.

Why do they hold it in Costa do Sauipe?

A IS tournament in South Africa would also be interesting. There were some in the previous decades (Johannesburg, Sun City, Durban, Pretoria). Though the only date in the current calendar that I see it fitting in is in early January, as a warm-up to the Australian Open. South Africa is in the middle of the way to Australia for South Americans and maybe for some Europeans and North-Americans, so it could have descent fields

It's mostly hardcourt and it's easy to fly from South Africa to Australia and should be the first event of the year.

The Dutch Open should go back to Hilversum or Amsterdam.

revolution
12-21-2005, 02:39 PM
Johannesburg in first week, Chennai in 2nd week with NZ/Sydney. Would work well.

Jimnik
12-21-2005, 02:46 PM
Ok, who really cares about the tournament before a Slam
It was just a minor suggestion.

Anyway, changing the subject, I would like to see Hong Kong host an ATP event again. I think it could help Asian tennis to have 2 ATP tournaments in China, as well as the TMC. And, more importantly, JC won Hong Kong in 2002 :bigclap:

shotgun
12-21-2005, 02:47 PM
Why do they hold it in Costa do Sauipe?

Back in 2001, when the spot was bought by the CBT (Brazilian Tennis Confederation) the original plan was to hold it in Sao Paulo, in the same place that the challenger that takes place in the first week of January is held. But that place is a municipal park, and with the whole bureaucracy that involves governmental institutions, the necessary reforms weren't made in time, so they moved it to Costa do Sauipe, where the main sponsor (Banco do Brasil) had made a huge investment in the local touristic resort. Add this to the fact that the place is a "tropical paradise", and to attract sponsors, the organizers offer touristic packages to the sponsor companies' directors, so they can spend the week there, watching some high-quality tennis, discussing business and other things... :p

This sort of thing is unfortunately part of the Brazilian culture, so it's not necessarily a new thing, that the tournament is being held in a touristic resort instead of a big city. In the early 90's there were GP tournaments held in Itaparica, Comandatuba, Buzios and Maceio - all of them are touristic places rather than cities with a huge tennis following.

Action Jackson
12-21-2005, 02:51 PM
Back in 2001, when the spot was bought by the CBT (Brazilian Tennis Confederation) the original plan was to hold it in Sao Paulo, in the same place that the challenger that takes place in the first week of January is held. But that place is a municipal park, and with the whole bureaucracy that involves governmental institutions, the necessary reforms weren't made in time, so they moved it to Costa do Sauipe, where the main sponsor (Banco do Brasil) had made a huge investment in the local touristic resort. Add this to the fact that the place is a "tropical paradise", and to attract sponsors, the organizers offer touristic packages to the sponsor companies' directors, so they can spend the week there, watching some high-quality tennis, discussing business and other things... :p

This sort of thing is unfortunately part of the Brazilian culture, so it's not necessarily a new thing, that the tournament is being held in a touristic resort instead of a big city. In the early 90's there were GP tournaments held in Itaparica, Comandatuba, Buzios and Maceio - all of them are touristic places rather than cities with a huge tennis following.

Thanks for that detailed explanation and the whole corruption thing makes sense and of course the sponsors care about the fans.

I remember Itaparica, Wilander won there one year and Agassi won the tournament as well.

I mean I'd rather play in Florianopolis than Sao Paulo, but that's just me.

shotgun
12-21-2005, 02:54 PM
Johannesburg in first week, Chennai in 2nd week with NZ/Sydney. Would work well.

Yes, or they could move Adelaide to the second week instead of Chennai, although I'm not sure if it's allowed to have 2 tournaments in the same country, in the same week.

A thing that must be changed in the current ATP calendar is the number of tournaments in the first week, and in the second week. If we take a look at the entry list cut-offs, it would be logical to have 2 tournaments in the first week, and 3 in the second week. Auckland and Sydney are having cut-offs below the 70th place, while Chennai and Doha are having cut-offs above the 100th place.

Action Jackson
12-21-2005, 03:01 PM
Yes, or they could move Adelaide to the second week instead of Chennai, although I'm not sure if it's allowed to have 2 tournaments in the same country, in the same week.

A thing that must be changed in the current ATP calendar is the number of tournaments in the first week, and in the second week. If we take a look at the entry list cut-offs, it would be logical to have 2 tournaments in the first week, and 3 in the second week. Auckland and Sydney are having cut-offs below the 70th place, while Chennai and Doha are having cut-offs above the 100th place.

It's Ok, as it is at the start of the year. If they had 3 of them in Week 2 with 32 draws, there'd be players who might have to play qualies for the AO and therefore not be able to play events in Week 2.

shotgun
12-21-2005, 06:45 PM
It's Ok, as it is at the start of the year. If they had 3 of them in Week 2 with 32 draws, there'd be players who might have to play qualies for the AO and therefore not be able to play events in Week 2.

Your point is fair, but I still think that players ranked between the 70th and 110th place should have the option of playing the week before the AO.

shotgun
12-21-2005, 06:53 PM
I mean I'd rather play in Florianopolis than Sao Paulo, but that's just me.

Florianopolis will hold a challenger next year, in February. Needless to say, it's now a city with some tradition in Brazilian tennis, thanks to you know who, and also Marcio Carlsson and now Bruno Rosa.

LaTenista
12-21-2005, 06:57 PM
Mallorca, it moved to Valencia (not that I want Valencia to go away).

binkygirl
12-29-2005, 12:53 AM
- Philadelphia
- Prague

I agree about Philly as well.

I'd like to see the men's year end Masters come back to NYC.

binkygirl
12-29-2005, 12:56 AM
didnt rosset win the racket too?

I don't remember. I thought it was Ivanesevic who won the raquet.

Bad Religion
12-29-2005, 03:18 AM
My countryman and actually captain of the chilean Davis Cup team , Hans Gildemeister won in Bordeaux .

Bring back Bordeaux and Aix et Provenze

Chris Seahorse
12-29-2005, 04:50 PM
I live in London so from a selfish point of view the more tournaments closer to home the better. But to be honest we have had more events and they didnt attrach much national attention. Sadly I do agree most of the English only pay attention to tennis during the brief grass season. So that rules out the UK. I do still agree with those who say Austria having 3 tournaments is too much however.

The obvious place to move St Polten however is Prague. The Czech Republic currently has 9 players in the top 100 more even than the USA. And yet it does not have a single ATP tournament. On top of that Prague HAS to rank as one of the most beautiful cities in Europe. Personally I can think of only 3 or 4 in the same league. No country without a tournament is more deserving and few places could be as desirable a spot for visiting on a tennis holiday.

Agassi Aces
12-29-2005, 07:35 PM
The ATP Masters Event in Stockholm before it moved to Stuttgart and before it moved to its current location in Madrid!

Agassi Aces
12-29-2005, 07:36 PM
TMC Lisbon was good back in 2000, as was TMC Sydney in 2001. I also enjoyed TMC Houston in 2003 and 2004. However, Shanghai is a great venue for TMC!

Action Jackson
12-30-2005, 02:45 AM
The obvious place to move St Polten however is Prague. The Czech Republic currently has 9 players in the top 100 more even than the USA. And yet it does not have a single ATP tournament. On top of that Prague HAS to rank as one of the most beautiful cities in Europe. Personally I can think of only 3 or 4 in the same league. No country without a tournament is more deserving and few places could be as desirable a spot for visiting on a tennis holiday.

Interesting points for sure and yes the Prague tournament was a good one for some reason like Geneva it got downgraded to a challenger and the Prague tournament always had some funny incidents.

Alexiana
12-30-2005, 12:08 PM
The Masters in Stuttgart :sad:

TennisGrandSlam
12-31-2005, 06:18 PM
Hong Kong, but I think it is mission impossible!

:devil:

TennisGrandSlam
12-31-2005, 06:19 PM
How about South Orange? :p

michelleg
12-31-2005, 06:33 PM
I'm still stumped as to why anyone even refers to hydrogrid/hartru as green clay, its just gravel with green dye. I hate the stuff and would rather play on hardcourts any day, even here in stifling South Florida (non-sequitur here, but can anyone believe we have a tropical storm out in the Atlantic on 31 January????????????)

CmonAussie
10-17-2006, 03:24 PM
Thing is, I don't think they have a challenger either, and only a few futures. However, I was speaking to Kevin Curren during an interview this year, and he said that he was working on some major changes for the next couple of years. GWE, that is actually a great idea to hold a tournament in Cape Town as a Tune-up for the Australian.
:wavey:
BUMP myself:eek:
......................Recently I`ve been thinking about this more & more-->>> when are they going to bring back a tournament to Sth Africa:confused: ... It seems like most sporting events are booming in Sth Africa~ soccer [next world cup], cricket, rugby, golf [Ernie Eels & Goosen]~ but for some reason there`s no tennis action there anymore:sad: ... I really hope they resurrect the Sth African Open in J`berg or Cap Town:angel:

CooCooCachoo
10-17-2006, 03:25 PM
I want them to move Amersfoort back to Amsterdam (not Hilversum). It would be such an improvement.

Also, the Groningen Challenger ought to come back ;)

Action Jackson
06-19-2007, 03:19 AM
I want them to move Amersfoort back to Amsterdam (not Hilversum). It would be such an improvement.

Also, the Groningen Challenger ought to come back ;)

Agreed about Amersfoort going back to Amsterdam.

South Africa have a challenger now, but it would be good if they got an IS event eventually.

GlennMirnyi
06-19-2007, 03:28 AM
Stockholm ice rink for the MS as before.

Action Jackson
06-19-2007, 03:33 AM
Mallorca must be in the top of my list too :yeah: playing tennis in a bullring is good because:

1) then they can't have real bullfights in it at that moment
2) it's damn cool.. when I visited Spain a year ago I visited the town of Ronda and they are believed to have one of the oldest bullrings and let me tell you it was BEAUTIFUL!

Yes, I mean Valencia now compared to Mallorca, it's just not the same, though the paella is better in Valencia.

The crowd is right on top of the court and playing in a bullring with a crazy crowd would have a great atmosphere.

Action Jackson
06-19-2007, 03:35 AM

Good to see Kitzbühel still exists.

Kolya
06-19-2007, 03:42 AM
Antwerp.

ChinoRios4Ever
06-19-2007, 05:08 AM
Viña del Mar back to Santiago :p

CmonAussie
06-19-2007, 06:00 AM
I want to see the following return to the ATP circuit:

*Sydney Indoor
*Hong Kong Outdoor
*Johanasburg Grass
*Kuala Lumpur
*Maui [Hawaii]

LeChuck
06-19-2007, 06:04 AM
The South African Open, which many people have mentioned already, although perhaps Cape Town would be a better location for it than Johannesburg.
Also Austria has 3 ATP Tournaments, maybe one of them (I'm thinking Portschach) should move to Eastern Europe. I agree with Chris Seahorse that Prague would be an ideal venue (although maybe I'm biased as I absolutely love the city).

Action Jackson
06-19-2007, 07:52 AM
The South African Open, which many people have mentioned already, although perhaps Cape Town would be a better location for it than Johannesburg.
Also Austria has 3 ATP Tournaments, maybe one of them (I'm thinking Portschach) should move to Eastern Europe. I agree with Chris Seahorse that Prague would be an ideal venue (although maybe I'm biased as I absolutely love the city).

Portschach while having a great location has the problem of being the event the week before RG, not sure how many places would want that slot on the calendar, especially as RG has a very long lead in campaign.

aussie_fan
06-19-2007, 08:06 AM
A few weeks ago, i was going through some old tapes and there was one that had the sydney indoor chanpionships semifinals from about 10-15 years ago, only had a few games of it but i found it to be a strange find. Would love to see that tournament back.

CmonAussie
06-19-2007, 09:53 AM
A few weeks ago, i was going through some old tapes and there was one that had the sydney indoor chanpionships semifinals from about 10-15 years ago, only had a few games of it but i found it to be a strange find. Would love to see that tournament back.

Hey aussie fan:cool:
Did you know Sydney Indoor nearly became a Super-9 Event back in the early 1990s [latter renamed TMS/ now AMS];)
If that had happened then the Sydney Indoor would still be on the circuit:sad:
Just shows you how important TMS status is to securing an event`s future:eek:

Voo de Mar
06-19-2007, 10:06 AM
Tokyo Indoor

CmonAussie
06-19-2007, 10:41 AM
Tokyo Indoor

Tokyo`s still got one ATP tourney;)
...Instead they should bring back Osaka & make it indoor:cool:

Super-Fabio
06-19-2007, 10:45 AM
maybe Milano, Bari, Saint Vincent, Bologna, Firenze :lol:

Action Jackson
06-19-2007, 10:49 AM
maybe Milano, Bari, Saint Vincent, Bologna, Firenze :lol:

You forgot Palermo and Genoa.

Voo de Mar
06-19-2007, 12:04 PM
Tokyo`s still got one ATP tourney;)
...Instead they should bring back Osaka & make it indoor:cool:

In the 90's they had Indoor and Outdoor in Tokyo but personally I was prefering Indoor :cool:

silverwhite
06-19-2007, 01:30 PM
Singapore :rolls:

Pockit2006
03-09-2008, 01:19 PM
When events now not played, do you think the ATP should bring back?

For me it would be London, selfishly lol, so i could go watch. But the London Indoor was a great event and i think it would attrach the top players... And we deserve at least one tournament not on grass here in the UK.. and Indoors is perfect so our lousy weather dont affect it.

Your thoughts?

Adler
03-09-2008, 01:21 PM
There should be an event in Czech Rep, like it used to be, for ex. in Prague

jazar
i agree there should be another event in the UK that isnt on grass. but from next year we'll be getting the masters cup, which is being held about 10 minutes from my house, so i wont be complaining

scarecrows
you want 3 tournaments in London, eh?

Palermo for me

Pockit2006
03-09-2008, 01:24 PM
Maybe not London, maybe Birmingham or Manchester.
But i was talking about bringing back tournaments that used to be held.

Garson007
03-09-2008, 01:28 PM
I don't know if there was ever a bigish tournament here in South Africa, but I'd very much like something a bit more important than one Challenger. A IS tournament maybe...

Nathaliia
03-09-2008, 01:30 PM
Palermo was a great event :yeah:

Sopot should be moved back to Sopot again, not Warsaw :(.

And Prague or San Marino... nice if they were ATP events again.

Nathaliia
03-09-2008, 01:31 PM
I don't know if there was ever a bigish tournament here in South Africa, but I'd very much like something a bit more important than one Challenger. A IS tournament maybe...
Uhh, still you had a great draw in East London this year... Ljuba, Johansson and Koubek in semis, as you see, many ATP level events have muggier semis.

Jimnik
03-09-2008, 01:31 PM
Frankly, what Britain already has is what it deserves. Countries like Belgium and Czech Rep deserve their tournaments back. I also think Serbia, Colombia and Korea deserve a tournament each.

Adler
03-09-2008, 01:46 PM
Maybe not London, maybe Birmingham or Manchester.
There's a WTA event in Birmingham, and ATP in Nottingham, there's nothing to complain about
I don't know if there was ever a bigish tournament here in South Africa
There was one in Kaapstad, I suppose

Good call about Belgium

Pockit2006
03-09-2008, 01:51 PM
There's a WTA event in Birmingham, and ATP in Nottingham, there's nothing to complain about

That's true, also WTA Eastbourne.. BUT they all played on GRASS and all played over a 3-week period before Wimbledon.

And i'm not complaining as such, just saying the London Indoors was a good tournament.

Adler
03-09-2008, 01:54 PM
That's true, also WTA Eastbourne.. BUT they all played on GRASS and all played over a 3-week period before Wimbledon.

And i'm not complaining as such, just saying the London Indoors was a good tournament.
I know what you mean. But it's just that UK is one of the very few countries with proper grass courts, so most tournaments are held there and there's no more places left to fill as there are other countries willing to have own tournaments

Serbia should also have ATP event, if Romania and Croatia have I see no reason why Serbia shouldn't

KitinovRules
03-09-2008, 02:17 PM
Serbia should also have ATP event, if Romania and Croatia have I see no reason why Serbia shouldn't

Becuase tennis as a sport in Romania and in Croatia has much richer history. Croats have had Prpic, Ivanisevic,now Ljubicic ,Ancic, Cilic.

Not to speak about about Romanians who had such a great players in the last 3o years.

Tennis in Serbia is popular only because of the lates good resulst of the youngsters.

Adler
03-09-2008, 02:43 PM
Becuase tennis as a sport in Romania and in Croatia has much richer history. Croats have had Prpic, Ivanisevic,now Ljubicic ,Ancic, Cilic
True, although Serbians had Zivojinovic. But as far as I know, tennis is know a very popular sport there and with Djokovic and Tisparevic in main draw, the stadium would be sold out and the profits would be significant

KitinovRules
03-09-2008, 02:47 PM
True, although Serbians had Zivojinovic. But as far as I know, tennis is know a very popular sport there and with Djokovic and Tisparevic in main draw, the stadium would be sold out and the profits would be significant

They have to work it out somehow. I know that there were some talks Belgrade to buy-out the Zagreb tounament but not for 2009 I think.
However I think that Serbs are quite close to that since they have organised wonderfull Challenger few weeks ago indoor HC.

MoiNonPlus
03-09-2008, 03:33 PM
Indeed it would be great to bring back tournaments in Palermo, Prague, Athens, Johannesburg, Copenhagen, Venice, Nassau, Cairo, Caracas or Lagos... As far as I am concerned, a perfect ATP tour should have tournaments in more countries than it has today. Serbia deserves one for sure, as well as Czech Republic, and why not Slovakia, Greece, South Africa etc. There could be much more events in South America, Asia and Africa, I guess there's enough quality venues to host at least 4 more tournaments there.

dijus
03-09-2008, 03:44 PM
what about Scottsdale? I miss Palermo as well.

LeChuck
03-09-2008, 03:53 PM
I also think that Palermo should be brought back. The more claycourt events on the calendar the better as far as I'm concerned.
The tournament at Scottsdale relocated to Las Vegas in 2006.

Pockit2006
03-09-2008, 06:02 PM
Ah yeah i liked the Scottsdale tourny!

Ivanatis
03-09-2008, 06:39 PM
Lagos sounds nice

there should definitely be a tournament in Black Africa included in the calendar

MrExcel
03-09-2008, 06:54 PM
Random question... Which city was the old Mallorca Open held in?

Purple Rainbow
03-09-2008, 09:44 PM

If I'm not mistaken, Sun City had an ATP level event.

*Viva Chile*
03-09-2008, 10:08 PM
What about the Mickey Mouse tounament by excellence??? ORLANDO!!! :rocker2:

NicoFan
03-09-2008, 11:00 PM
It was tiny, but I loved the location - very beautiful: Stratton

Raquel
03-10-2008, 01:14 AM
Random question... Which city was the old Mallorca Open held in?I'm guessing Palma de Mallorca as that's the biggest city there, but I'm not 100% sure it was held there.

I liked the indoor event in London because I saw Roger there for the first time on TV back in 2000 and I went there the next year for a couple of days but we can't really complain with the Masters Cup coming here soon.

Tommy_Vercetti
03-10-2008, 01:52 AM
Tel Aviv.

Action Jackson
03-10-2008, 03:14 AM
Well after the 2008 season I can say Kitzbuhel.

ltaravilse
03-10-2008, 03:39 AM
If the USA has one GS, three TMS and a lot of ATP tournaments, Spain has one TMS and two or three (I don't remember how many they are) ATP tournaments, France has one GS, one TMS and I don't know how many ATP tournaments... then why can't Argentina have at least one TMS and more than just one tournament?

~*BGT*~
03-10-2008, 04:12 AM
There should be a TMS Buenos Aires on clay.

Action Jackson
03-10-2008, 04:13 AM
There should be a TMS Buenos Aires on clay.

This is about which events have gone and would like to see back, not new ones created.

binkygirl
03-11-2008, 08:36 AM
- Philadelphia
- Prague

Philly for me too!!

Månu
03-11-2008, 08:46 AM
Would like to see Copenhagen host an ATP event again...

Jaap
03-11-2008, 10:47 AM
Lagos sounds nice

there should definitely be a tournament in Black Africa included in the calendar

Why?

CmonAussie
03-11-2008, 10:57 AM
When events now not played, do you think the ATP should bring back?

For me it would be London, selfishly lol, so i could go watch. But the London Indoor was a great event and i think it would attrach the top players... And we deserve at least one tournament not on grass here in the UK.. and Indoors is perfect so our lousy weather dont affect it.

Your thoughts?

hey Pockit,

London`s got enough tourneys with Queens & Wimbledon, plus from next year you`ll have the WTF:devil: year end championships too- that is more than enough for one city;)

<>the WTF championships will be more prestigious than London Indoor anyway, so long as we drop semantics:devil:

Tennis-Engineer
03-11-2008, 12:13 PM
I want to see Milan indoor again in calendar.

shotgun
03-11-2008, 02:14 PM
Prague, Antwerp (both Czechs and Belgians should have an ATP event), Rio de Janeiro (replacing Costa do Sauipe) and a South African event (could be Johannesburg or Durban, though a new tournament in Cape Town would be nicer).

CyBorg
05-12-2008, 04:19 AM
Does South Africa have clay? I'm just curious what surface they would go to if they go back to having events there. Johannesburg was on hardcourts I believe.

I miss Forrest Hills. I also think that it's a shame that Wembley went. And Nice.

Action Jackson
05-12-2008, 04:22 AM
South Africa it's either hardcourt or grass.

CyBorg
05-12-2008, 04:37 AM
I see. It'll be interesting to know where it fits in 2009.

CmonAussie
05-12-2008, 08:29 AM
South Africa it's either hardcourt or grass.

:cool:
<>grass would be cool but i guess it would have to fit in between FO & Wimby... more likely it`ll be hardcourt. in fact the South African tourney should be played b4 AO~~ keeping things in the southern hemisphere for January;)

BaggyGreen92
05-12-2008, 10:16 AM
Next Generation Adelaide International

CmonAussie
05-12-2008, 02:37 PM
Next Generation Adelaide International

the new combined tournament in Brisbane will be bigger & better than the defunct Adelaide tourney;)
<>"...oh you can trust me~ I`m a doctor!":devil: