Andy RODDICK (USA) will be declared the Prince of Monaco. [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Andy RODDICK (USA) will be declared the Prince of Monaco.

Leena
02-17-2005, 11:16 PM
Because he's so sweet and sexy.

And he'll win his 5th clay title here.

With only a serve.

revolution
02-24-2005, 10:41 PM
sweet and sexy eh? that describes your pic :D . A-Rod will win a TMS this year but I don't think it will be a clay one. Maybe Indian Wells!

ftd999
02-24-2005, 10:47 PM
sweet and sexy eh? that describes your pic :D . A-Rod will win a TMS this year but I don't think it will be a clay one. Maybe Indian Wells!

Roddick has five clay titles? :scratch: Wow, I didn't realize that! Were any on red clay? Did any have decent draws (i.e he had to beat a clay courter or two such as Moya, Coria, etc)?

Golfnduck
02-24-2005, 11:20 PM
Great thread title Leena! :yeah:
I can't wait for the clay season :bounce:

revolution
02-25-2005, 02:31 PM
Roddick has three clay titles I think, he won the US ClayCourt Championships twice and the St Polten GP in Austria.

Leena
02-25-2005, 05:49 PM
Roddick has five clay titles? :scratch: Wow, I didn't realize that! Were any on red clay? Did any have decent draws (i.e he had to beat a clay courter or two such as Moya, Coria, etc)?
Houston, twice (red clay... and wins over Coria and Sampras)
Atlanta, green clay.
St. Polten.

This will be #5.

Then Barcelona is #6.

Hamburg #7.

Rome #8.

St. Polten #9.

Roland Garros #10.

Gstaad #11, just to piss off Rogerer.

ftd999
02-25-2005, 06:07 PM
This will be #5.

Then Barcelona is #6.

Hamburg #7.

Rome #8.

St. Polten #9.

Roland Garros #10.

Gstaad #11, just to piss off Rogerer.

Yes, that would be a pretty decent run.

There's no reason Roddick shouldn't do better on the red clay. He's one of the best althletes out there, he's very competitive, and he hits a very heavy forehand. Unlike Hewitt, he generates his own power, so he can dictate and move the dirtballers around. His serve is still a weapon, obviously, and he can use it to set up the point.

While he's not as fast as Coria, I'm not sure that's so big a factor if Roddick is confident and playing well offensively. Well, we'll see what happens, but I think the key is that he needs to believe in his game.

I'm already looking forward to the French.

Leena
02-25-2005, 06:25 PM
I seriously think Andy can improve his results on clay, unlike Sampras did.

His serve can still be a weapon, albeit far less than on other surfaces.

Andy can put a lot of topspin on his forehand... and at least he can keep his backhand in play most of the time now. :p

I think it's mostly mental for Andy. He has to totally change his game. When things get tough, he relies on power too much. And he'll always lose on clay when he does that.

ftd999
02-25-2005, 06:50 PM
I seriously think Andy can improve his results on clay, unlike Sampras did.

His serve can still be a weapon, albeit far less than on other surfaces.

Andy can put a lot of topspin on his forehand... and at least he can keep his backhand in play most of the time now. :p

I think it's mostly mental for Andy. He has to totally change his game. When things get tough, he relies on power too much. And he'll always lose on clay when he does that.

I agree, Sampras's game really wasn't well suited to red clay. His groundies were flatter and his backhand wasn't consistent or deep enough. Unlike Henman or Rafter, both of whom could play on red clay, Sampras's volleys weren't quite as solid. He volleyed well but really relied on his serve to give him an easy volley. His game was almost perfectly tailored to grass or fast hard, so its all the more impressive that he made a SF at RG.

Agree completely on Roddick. I think he can be a top competitor on the clay, he just need to believe it. And agree on the power. He needs to be agressive and dictate, but not overhit and go for too much, which he started to do against Hewitt at AO05. Roddick has a ridiculous amount of potential that he still hasn't quite reached, he needs a good coach to help him get there. We'll see.

Dirk
02-27-2005, 10:12 AM
Um Pete made the RG semis and RG qrts and has won 4 clay titles. Two of them on Euro soil so how is he bad on it? Yes his BH got bad later in his career but he was quite good on clay. I don't see Andy making the qrts of RG twice and the semis once in his career. I also don't see him winning a clay master which Pete did.

nkhera1
03-09-2005, 02:25 AM
Yes, that would be a pretty decent run.

There's no reason Roddick shouldn't do better on the red clay. He's one of the best althletes out there, he's very competitive, and he hits a very heavy forehand. Unlike Hewitt, he generates his own power, so he can dictate and move the dirtballers around. His serve is still a weapon, obviously, and he can use it to set up the point.

While he's not as fast as Coria, I'm not sure that's so big a factor if Roddick is confident and playing well offensively. Well, we'll see what happens, but I think the key is that he needs to believe in his game.

I'm already looking forward to the French.

Roddick isn't patient enough, and i don't know if he has the stamina to play many sets of clay. The rallies are really long and the sets tend to be as well and i don't know if Roddick has the stamina for RG or this tournament. Roddick needs to just dictate play and let the other person make the mistake, but the key to this is PATIENCE. He can do pretty well on clay if he does this imo.

so here is what i think he needs to do
1. Have patience
2. Have the stamina
3. Have good footwork (this comes with stamina)
4. dictate play, but don't go for it too much
5. work on the backhand
6. Use your brain as to when to volley and stuff like that
7. Aim your serve instead of trying to just plast it past people because this is one of the worst courts to do it on

If he does that he should do decent.

Action Jackson
03-09-2005, 02:34 AM
nkhera, stop contributing thoughtful responses in here, it will confuse too many people.

He would have find his way to Monaco first, before he can win it.

ftd999, dreaming again.

Leena
03-09-2005, 03:13 AM
This is an Andrew cheering thread.

nkhera1
03-09-2005, 03:47 AM
nkhera, stop contributing thoughtful responses in here, it will confuse too many people.

He would have find his way to Monaco first, before he can win it.

ftd999, dreaming again.

sorry about that

ftd999
03-09-2005, 05:18 AM
Roddick isn't patient enough, and i don't know if he has the stamina to play many sets of clay. The rallies are really long and the sets tend to be as well and i don't know if Roddick has the stamina for RG or this tournament. Roddick needs to just dictate play and let the other person make the mistake, but the key to this is PATIENCE. He can do pretty well on clay if he does this imo.

so here is what i think he needs to do
1. Have patience
2. Have the stamina
3. Have good footwork (this comes with stamina)
4. dictate play, but don't go for it too much
5. work on the backhand
6. Use your brain as to when to volley and stuff like that
7. Aim your serve instead of trying to just plast it past people because this is one of the worst courts to do it on

If he does that he should do decent.

He'll be fine. He played two great matches over the weekend, and in my opinion his movement was very good. And that court was about as slow a hardcourt as you can get. He could easily have taken the second match against one of the hottest players on your (3rd set tiebreak was 11-9 or something like that). All credit to Ljubo for playing a ridiculous level of tennis lately and for being extremely mentally tough.

As for your points, I disagree, I thought his backhand was better than I've seen it in a while as he was finally starting to drive through it more. Yeah, his forehand, oddly, went off on occasion, but he plays an agressive style game, it' s going to happen. He's just not a patient player, he's too intense. However, that can certainly be a strength. I see your point about over agressiveness, but I'd rather see him just let it go and hit out, because when he's on he'll overpower almost anyone. That is how he got where he is today.

I definitely would not worry about his serve. Stamina shouldn't be too much a factor if he's dictating with his forehand and serve, but it, and footwork are always things he should be working on improving. Number six is the only one I see as a weakness, but at least he's not afraid to work on it under pressure. His volleys are pretty solid, he just needs to pick his spots better. I wonder if anyone has match statistics from the weekend?

I think he'll be a strong factor wherever he goes :)

Action Jackson
03-09-2005, 06:03 AM
What it comes down to as nk explained so clearly the things Roddick needs to do, but he isn't interesting in improving his game on this surface.

ftd, he will not be a consistent performer on this surface. How is he actually fit? He wouldn't be in the top 30 for fitness levels

This on clay, power alone isn't going to win claycourt titles and big ones, there has to be some thought process there.

ftd999
03-09-2005, 06:32 AM
What it comes down to as nk explained so clearly the things Roddick needs to do, but he isn't interesting in improving his game on this surface

Could be true, but I doubt it. I don't know what his commitment level to the red clay is. Maybe he'll just say screw it, its not worth the energy, and move on to Wimbledon. If he does, and skips the big events, or doesn't show up to play, then he loses a lot of respect. I can't see him doing that though.

ftd, he will not be a consistent performer on this surface. How is he actually fit? He wouldn't be in the top 30 for fitness levels

Roddick is an exceptional athlete. Yes, there are fitter players, but he doesn't need to be as fit as the very best because of the style of his game. I watched all weekend and his fitness was fine. He moved very well against Ancic (I know Ancic isn't Coria or Nadal) and won a number of tough baseline rallies when Ancic was hitting some big groundies. And this was a very slow surface with a lot of long rallies.

I don't think he lost the fifth against Ljubicic because of fitness, although you may disagree. I think he was emotionally spent after the fourth set tiebreak, and played a loose first game. After that, Ljubicic started with his injury, and began going for broke because he couldn't move as well. He made most of the big shots that he went for.

You might be right on fitness, although I don't think its a weakness as much as something that can be improved a bit over time. Given his natural athleticism and intensity, there's no reason, with good coaching and motivation, that his movement can't get to very high levels.

This on clay, power alone isn't going to win claycourt titles and big ones, there has to be some thought process there

Definitely. Gilbert, whatever you think of his personality, was a perfect analytical match to complement Roddick's style. He was a very good scouter and knew how to formulate a smart game plan. Now, I'm not as sure, but we'll see over the course of this year. There have been some recent matches where Roddick seemed lost, not sure what to do, and has just fallen apart. This shouldn't happen. A good coach is extremly important, for both on the court and off the court reasons, and I'm just not sure whether things are positive right now. We'll see.

Action Jackson
03-09-2005, 06:48 AM
Could be true, but I doubt it. I don't know what his commitment level to the red clay is. Maybe he'll just say screw it, its not worth the energy, and move on to Wimbledon. If he does, and skips the big events, or doesn't show up to play, then he loses a lot of respect. I can't see him doing that though.

This is a cheering thread for Roddick, so what I am going to do is answer this in GM in the clay/Roddick thread. As there are too many holes in this post.

ftd999
03-09-2005, 07:29 AM
This is a cheering thread for Roddick, so what I am going to do is answer this in GM in the clay/Roddick thread. As there are too many holes in this post.

Yeah, I saw that, but no time right now to answer your responses (lucky for me :p ). I don't want to get too deep into trying to defend him on red clay (or in general for that matter) because I generally agree with what your saying. However, I don't think you give him enough credit on his intensity and fight to win. Even considering his serve, I've been surprised over the years at the quality of his results in the slams.

And, hell, what other hope do the Americans have? Dent, Fish, Ginepri, Spadea (possible chance to win a couple of rounds), Blake? Don't think so. And, I don't think Agassi is going to put his energy into the French (I think he'll likely give it all to the US and call it quits). So, go Donald Young :p

Action Jackson
03-09-2005, 07:35 AM
You're defending him, when there isn't much basis to do so. He fights on hardcourts in the US, not on clay in Europe except when he beat Chang. Point taken about the US team on clay.

Leena
03-09-2005, 03:14 PM
What it comes down to as nk explained so clearly the things Roddick needs to do, but he isn't interesting in improving his game on this surface.

How do you know this.

If he wasn't interested, he wouldn't play these tournies at all.

Leena
03-09-2005, 03:15 PM
And, hell, what other hope do the Americans have? Dent, Fish, Ginepri, Spadea (possible chance to win a couple of rounds), Blake?

They can all be in the same section... and Andy would be the favorite against all of them.

And all the Euro fans weep.

Yay.

nkhera1
03-09-2005, 11:46 PM
He'll be fine. He played two great matches over the weekend, and in my opinion his movement was very good. And that court was about as slow a hardcourt as you can get. He could easily have taken the second match against one of the hottest players on your (3rd set tiebreak was 11-9 or something like that). All credit to Ljubo for playing a ridiculous level of tennis lately and for being extremely mentally tough.

Yes Ljubucic played well, but clay is a totally different story

As for your points, I disagree, I thought his backhand was better than I've seen it in a while as he was finally starting to drive through it more. Yeah, his forehand, oddly, went off on occasion, but he plays an agressive style game, it' s going to happen. He's just not a patient player, he's too intense. However, that can certainly be a strength. I see your point about over agressiveness, but I'd rather see him just let it go and hit out, because when he's on he'll overpower almost anyone. That is how he got where he is today.

His backhand may be better, but that still doesn't mean its good. How many times did you see him hit a good backhand down the line. Also When he is coming in on a slice he should mix up where he is going to place the slice rather than just going crosscourt all the time. Forehand errors are excusable somewhat as long as they are not totally stupid as he tends to do sometimes like on easy shots. When i mean patient don't mean he has to just dink it back over, but that he should stay in the rally move the player around from side to side instead of just going for the winner. This was his biggest problem in the French Open last year 2nd round against Oliver Mutis(I think). Mutis was clearly tired heading into the 5th set and if Roddick didn't go for broke on every point he probably would have won. There is a time to be agressive and not to be agressive. On clay you can't be agressive on every point.

I definitely would not worry about his serve. Stamina shouldn't be too much a factor if he's dictating with his forehand and serve, but it, and footwork are always things he should be working on improving. Number six is the only one I see as a weakness, but at least he's not afraid to work on it under pressure. His volleys are pretty solid, he just needs to pick his spots better. I wonder if anyone has match statistics from the weekend?

I worry about the serve because the clay will slow it down and he should try to place it more instead of just hitting it as hard as he can to a general area (as i have mentioned numerous times before). This also ties in with stamina a little, but it was very clear that Roddick wasn't getting as many free points offf of his serve as he is used to and i feel his placement isn't that sharp anymore. Before he could bomb it and place it pretty well. Now he hits it harder but compromises placement. So I say he should talke a little off of his serve to place it more. Also I think he has lost some confidence in his second serve as they are still good, but not as good as before when he was playing great. Stamina will be a factor because Roddick isn't one of the fittest players on the tour. Even if he is dictating a good clay courter will be able to get many balls back and if Roddick isn't gettting the free points off of his serve than it will make him have to rally more. He just doesn't have a great record in 5 setters as of late and i think he could be a fitter. It matters because on clay no matter how good you are the other player is going to return ball back which you wouldn't normally expect to get on a hard court.

I think he'll be a strong factor wherever he goes :)

If he plays smartly, I agree as well

So to sum it all up
1. Backhand may be better but its still not good enough to be a top player
2. When I say patient i mean that he shouldn't go for the winner on every shot, he should still be agressive but not too agressive. (This is important on clay.)
3. Has to place his serve (especially on clay) because its a lot easier to return a fast serve straight at you then a slightly less fast serve placed well.
4. He does need work on stamina. Just look at his record in 5 setters i can guarantee it won't be very pretty.

I respect your opinion, and i'm not saying its wrong, but i'm offering mine as well.

missroddickfan
03-10-2005, 01:14 PM
Because he's so sweet and sexy.

And he'll win his 5th clay title here.

With only a serve.
ya nothing's more true.
and after they see his serve all the others won't hold on and andy will win quickly a clay title!
nothing better.

missroddickfan
03-10-2005, 01:16 PM
They can all be in the same section... and Andy would be the favorite against all of them.

And all the Euro fans weep.

Yay.
4 sure!
and anyway they rnt a problem if andy plays against them they cant win a game.

joeb_uk
03-31-2005, 10:23 AM
Andy wont show at this event anyway! its surprising to see a roddick fan create a thread too, surely you know him well enough to know he will be a no show

*Ljubica*
03-31-2005, 11:47 AM
Andy wont show at this event anyway! its surprising to see a roddick fan create a thread too, surely you know him well enough to know he will be a no show

But it was Leena that created the thread Joe - she wasn't a true Roddick fan - just a troll who liked the sound of her own voice. The true fans like Debstah have been saying for a while now that he wouldn't play. Mind you - you'll maybe think it strange coming from me, but I do think it somewhat "devalues" the tournament having so many top players refuse to play :sad: I dont like Roddick or Agassi (nor Hewitt who won't be there due to injury), but whether we like it or not they are world-renowned Top 10 players and it's better for the tourney to have a Top 10 player than some player ranked below 50 in the world. Just my opinion anyway.

nkhera1
04-01-2005, 12:51 AM
But it was Leena that created the thread Joe - she wasn't a true Roddick fan - just a troll who liked the sound of her own voice. The true fans like Debstah have been saying for a while now that he wouldn't play. Mind you - you'll maybe think it strange coming from me, but I do think it somewhat "devalues" the tournament having so many top players refuse to play :sad: I dont like Roddick or Agassi (nor Hewitt who won't be there due to injury), but whether we like it or not they are world-renowned Top 10 players and it's better for the tourney to have a Top 10 player than some player ranked below 50 in the world. Just my opinion anyway.

I agree its so much better when all the top players are in a tournament.

Deboogle!.
04-01-2005, 03:36 AM
i know this was posted a while ago but I just saw this thread and I want to say a couple things :)

1. Backhand may be better but its still not good enough to be a top player

at all, or on clay? Anyway, I agree his BH is not the best, but look at Moya's backhand - and he is not only a top player but a top player on clay. I watched it very closely when he and Andy played at IW a couple weeks ago and Carlos's BH is purely AWFUL and he runs around it FAR more than Andy does. So while I agree that Andy's BH could still use much improvement, it's also come a long way in the past couple years and this should not hinder his performance on clay IMO.

2. When I say patient i mean that he shouldn't go for the winner on every shot, he should still be agressive but not too agressive. (This is important on clay.)

Absolutely. Problem is, patience is not his strong suit - combine that with the fact that he's cranky on clay anyway, and you see why he sucks so hard on it ;) To me, this is the biggest problem of all for him on clay. Mentality on it + lack of patience in general is just a really bad mix on clay.

3. Has to place his serve (especially on clay) because its a lot easier to return a fast serve straight at you then a slightly less fast serve placed well.

Sure. I think this is true for all surfaces, all players. An unreturnable kick serve at 110mph out wide is surely going to be more effective than 140 right into someone's hitting zone. He's been working on this with Goldfine, however. His serving so far in 2005 is nowhere near as fast as it was last year and he's actually talked about taking some MPH off.

4. He does need work on stamina. Just look at his record in 5 setters i can guarantee it won't be very pretty.

He's in the best shape he's ever been in - I mean, sure, there's almost always improvements to be made and I am personally hoping that during this time that he cannot play tennis b/c of his wrist that he is working on both his fitness and that he's getting on the clay and practicing his movement.

IMO, there are two factors that go into 5-set records - physical fitness and mental fitness. Andy's problem is the second one, not the first one. His 5-set record since 2003 is 0-4. That's just.... abysmal and embarrassing for a top player. But I saw all 4 of the matches, and in not one of them did he look or act PHYSICALLY tired at the end, and in fact in a copule of them, he admitted that HE was the one with fresher legs but was unable to execute, mentally.

nkhera1, I'm surprised you didn't mention Andy's movement. To me that is his second biggest problem on clay (second to his mentality). I saw him in Houston, where he actually typically plays well, and the first thing I noticed was how uncomfortable he looked moving around. he needs to practice it, practice sliding, etc. That's something else I am hoping he will do while he is unable to pick up a racquet. But I'm not holding my breath for any visible improvement. I give up on being optimistic for Andy on clay. :o

As for it being better when all the top players are a tournament... I basically agree, but it's not like Andy plays like a top player on clay, anyway... for all the reasons that have been discussed. So I don't think his presence will be missed much, except by those who thrive off hating him so much that they're mourning the opportunity to revel in another early loss for him. I shall cry those people a river :tears:

Éowyn
04-01-2005, 05:05 AM
well said debs :)

Éowyn
04-01-2005, 05:13 AM
But it was Leena that created the thread Joe - she wasn't a true Roddick fan - just a troll who liked the sound of her own voice.

if i wasn't rep banned i would rep you for that comment as i can't you'll have o settle for http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v23/thewhiteladyofrohan/emoties/fakerep.png sorry! still well said

nkhera1
04-03-2005, 01:21 AM
at all, or on clay? Anyway, I agree his BH is not the best, but look at Moya's backhand - and he is not only a top player but a top player on clay. I watched it very closely when he and Andy played at IW a couple weeks ago and Carlos's BH is purely AWFUL and he runs around it FAR more than Andy does. So while I agree that Andy's BH could still use much improvement, it's also come a long way in the past couple years and this should not hinder his performance on clay IMO.

Moya moves better than Roddick and is much more patient. Moya's game is better suited for clay. Also its pretty easy when you know your opponent can't hit a backhand down the line. I think a reason why Roddick doesn't hit his backhand down the line well is because of his form. He keeps both arms straight and I've heard its hard to put good pace on your shots keeping both arms straight.

Absolutely. Problem is, patience is not his strong suit - combine that with the fact that he's cranky on clay anyway, and you see why he sucks so hard on it ;) To me, this is the biggest problem of all for him on clay. Mentality on it + lack of patience in general is just a really bad mix on clay.

Agree. Hopefully Roddick is more patient in his rallies. Last year he shouldn't have lost in the 2nd round, and if he was more patient he wouldn't have.

Sure. I think this is true for all surfaces, all players. An unreturnable kick serve at 110mph out wide is surely going to be more effective than 140 right into someone's hitting zone. He's been working on this with Goldfine, however. His serving so far in 2005 is nowhere near as fast as it was last year and he's actually talked about taking some MPH off.

Agree here. I though his serving was pretty good in 2003 and more accurate, but maybe I'm wrong. If he can get back to that form he will be in good shape.

He's in the best shape he's ever been in - I mean, sure, there's almost always improvements to be made and I am personally hoping that during this time that he cannot play tennis b/c of his wrist that he is working on both his fitness and that he's getting on the clay and practicing his movement.

IMO, there are two factors that go into 5-set records - physical fitness and mental fitness. Andy's problem is the second one, not the first one. His 5-set record since 2003 is 0-4. That's just.... abysmal and embarrassing for a top player. But I saw all 4 of the matches, and in not one of them did he look or act PHYSICALLY tired at the end, and in fact in a copule of them, he admitted that HE was the one with fresher legs but was unable to execute, mentally.

I have not seen many of his 5 set matches, but i agree with you. However, what ever the problem is he is going to need to fix it becuase there are going to be 5 set matches on clay. I still think he can prove a little more physically. To compete against Federer you need to be in the top of everything possible.

nkhera1, I'm surprised you didn't mention Andy's movement. To me that is his second biggest problem on clay (second to his mentality). I saw him in Houston, where he actually typically plays well, and the first thing I noticed was how uncomfortable he looked moving around. he needs to practice it, practice sliding, etc. That's something else I am hoping he will do while he is unable to pick up a racquet. But I'm not holding my breath for any visible improvement. I give up on being optimistic for Andy on clay. :o

I think i mentioned footwork in one of my previous posts in this thread. I hope he works on his footwork while being on break as well. He needed a little break because he had been playing a lot of tennis lately.

As for it being better when all the top players are a tournament... I basically agree, but it's not like Andy plays like a top player on clay, anyway... for all the reasons that have been discussed. So I don't think his presence will be missed much, except by those who thrive off hating him so much that they're mourning the opportunity to revel in another early loss for him. I shall cry those people a river :tears:

It still would have been a good learning experience for Roddick because he would have gotten a pretty good player in the second round of a Masters Eventas opposed to what he usually gets in the 2nd round of Roland Garros (though they still manage to beat him).

Deboogle!.
04-03-2005, 06:18 AM
Moya moves better than Roddick and is much more patient. Moya's game is better suited for clay. Also its pretty easy when you know your opponent can't hit a backhand down the line. I think a reason why Roddick doesn't hit his backhand down the line well is because of his form. He keeps both arms straight and I've heard its hard to put good pace on your shots keeping both arms straight.

Absolutely, I agree. But I was just stating my opinion that Andy's backhand is not one of the reasons he performs poorly on clay - nothing more, nothing less :)

Agree. Hopefully Roddick is more patient in his rallies. Last year he shouldn't have lost in the 2nd round, and if he was more patient he wouldn't have.

2nd round at Roland Garros you mean? Oh, he should've won that match, absolutely. And it was entirely this problem - his mental problems rearing their head in the form of no patience - which is why he lost. :smash:

Agree here. I though his serving was pretty good in 2003 and more accurate, but maybe I'm wrong. If he can get back to that form he will be in good shape.

I think he's improved it so far in 2005. He's definitely taking some MPH off this year, and has actually talked about it, so it's not just me imagining it. Hopefully on clay even MORESO, Goldfine will convince him that the placement is more important. if he can hit good serves out wide and get a short return that he can put away... this is the type of game he needs to try to play on clay and keep himself out of long rallies and conseve energy as much as he possibly can IMO.

I have not seen many of his 5 set matches, but i agree with you. However, what ever the problem is he is going to need to fix it becuase there are going to be 5 set matches on clay. I still think he can prove a little more physically. To compete against Federer you need to be in the top of everything possible.

I've seen most of them...I think... going back to his very first one at the 2001 French where he fought through cramps and was practically contorting on court.... He just doesn't have the same mental fight that he had through 2003. Oh, he can certainly improve even more physically. I'm just saying that it's my personal opinion that it was is his MENTAL problems that have been his problem in the 5-setters in 2004 and 2005 and not physical stamina. A lot of his recent 5-set (and even some of the 4-set) losses were really propagated by one awfully loose game in the last set... all mental.

I guess i'm just saying that I don't think his fitness level in 2003 was particularly better (if at all) - where he went 3-0 in 5-set matches and that included: 1 where he was down 2-0 sets and a break and came back, where he went 21-19 and 4h59 in the following match, and where he went 2-0 sets down and saved MP in a tiebreak..... than that in 2004 when he went 0-3 in them and now on an 0-4 stretch including the one loss this year where he flat-out said he was physically fine at the end but pulled the trigger too much. He's just gotta find that "God damnit I don't want to lose and if I lose, he's gonna have to beat me" attitude - if he can get that back, and he had it in 2003, he will win more of these long tough matches.

I think i mentioned footwork in one of my previous posts in this thread. I hope he works on his footwork while being on break as well. He needed a little break because he had been playing a lot of tennis lately.

Yes, you did, I went back and saw that and forgot to edit my post to reflect that. So that was my fault. I hope he's working on it, but as I said it's difficult to be optimistic where Andy and clay are concerned :p

It still would have been a good learning experience for Roddick because he would have gotten a pretty good player in the second round of a Masters Eventas opposed to what he usually gets in the 2nd round of Roland Garros (though they still manage to beat him).

Well yes, of course, I can't disagree there. But on the other hand, I see the logic behind using Houston as a way to get warmed up on clay - he's much more comfortable, the caliber of opponent is much less, and he's just in a much better mental space in Houston - he has his whole family there, etc. So I can see the logic behind the theory of "ok I'll go there, get a few wins and get used to the surface and get some confidence and then go to Europe and play those events" - that does make sense on some level.

But there's the (for me, more compelling) flipside of that coin in that he can't get better on the clay IN EUROPE unless he: 1) confronts it head-on mentally and 2) plays the better opponents to learn from the experiences.

It's funny how he had his best clay-court season by far in the first year he played in Europe, he went 13-4 on ATP tournaments during the clay season and 8-4 in Europe, where he won 2 or more matches at all THREE of the TMS events. What's odd is that he beat people like Gonzalez, Robredo, Pavel, Calatrava - aka decent clay players - then he goes to Roland Garros and loses to Wayne Arthurs. I understand the drivel in my law books better than I can understand how that could happen :lol:

So there's no doubt in my mind that he is capable of playing *decently* on clay. If he could do it in 2002 then surely 3 years later when he is a MUCH better player he can do it again. He jut has to want to, and that's what I'm not so sure about. I believe that the way he was able to hang with Moya and Nadal on the slowest and under the most adverse conditions possible is a further sign of that - but he WANTED the DC matches badly. If he could only put that kind of desire into the clay season I am sure he would have better results, and until he decides to put that kind of energy on it, and commits to it by playing a full schedule, he will continue to embarrass himself, and his fans. :o

Iheartandy&roger
04-03-2005, 06:03 PM
:worship: All hail Prince Andy! :worship:
http://www.lisavictoria.net/Images/BookIllustrations/Full/duck.jpg

MissFairy
04-03-2005, 06:37 PM
:lol: good one :)