A question about footwork and the serve [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

A question about footwork and the serve

erik-the-red
02-17-2005, 01:38 AM
Do you know of any good footwork drills (e.g. to improve my ability to move around the court and to look good doing it)?

Also, how can I add power to my serve? If necessary I am willing to spend a good year bulking up like Hewitt.

wimbledonfan
02-17-2005, 02:48 AM
Well Erik they say tennis is all in your wrists . Watching adult movies should correct this problem .

Leena
02-17-2005, 03:09 AM
Serve power comes from flexibility and timing... muscling up won't help much.

As for footwork drills... I find the best way to learn that is by playing matches. No drill can properly recreate the sudden movements that are necessary on court.

wimbledonfan
02-17-2005, 03:20 AM
Hey Erik just don't do what dementieva is doing on her serve and you'll be fine .

One exercise that is good for improving your flexibility is to take your right hand above your shoulders and behing your back , and try to touch your left hand which is also behind your back . Do this repeatedly on both sides and you'll notice how it will increase your service speed .

Pete would do this before all important matches and he's not a bad guy to emulate his serving game after .

Domino
02-17-2005, 04:55 AM
Lower your toss. If you've been playing, and you want more power on your serve, lower it and don't concentrate on your motion, just concentrate on snapping at the right point.

ftd999
02-17-2005, 05:28 AM
Do you know of any good footwork drills (e.g. to improve my ability to move around the court and to look good doing it)?

Spiders are the best. Do them every single day. Start slow and work your way up to doing 10 or so (more gets boring) and then you can move on to super-spiders. Even better if you get someone on the other side of the net to race. There's seriously nothing better, but anything where you sprint and quickly start and stop, but where there is also concentration (i.e. by focusing on a line or a ball to pick up)

Also, how can I add power to my serve? If necessary I am willing to spend a good year bulking up like Hewitt.

4 keys to great serve: 1) Timing 2) Legs (also see # 1) 3) Rotation 4) Height (Hewitt can bulk up all he wants and won't have this one). Notice bulk is not one of the keys (Federer, Johansson). Have you ever played baseball, especially pitched? Exactly the same. It's all about rotation and rhythm, about coiling the energy of the legs and rotation of the body, springing that energy loose in timing with a well placed toss. Your choice of racket may also give you some extra pop. I'd be curious to know what you do as far as training (w/ your serve), but if your not spending at least 30 min or more hitting just buckets of serves then I doubt you can really improve. Get a bucket and practice, and if you can have someone watch your serve (or tape it yourself) and give you pointers even better

ftd999
02-17-2005, 05:30 AM
[QUOTE=erik-the-red]Do you know of any good footwork drills (e.g. to improve my ability to move around the court and to look good doing it)?

Whoops, I posted my answer in the wrong spot:

Spiders are the best. Do them every single day. Start slow and work your way up to doing 10 or so (more gets boring) and then you can move on to super-spiders. Even better if you get someone on the other side of the net to race. There's seriously nothing better, but anything where you sprint and quickly start and stop, but where there is also concentration (i.e. by focusing on a line or a ball to pick up)

niko
02-17-2005, 06:11 AM

For footwork look on the internet for agility ladder that comes with instructions or "Complete Conditioning for Tennis" by USTA (book, not VHS, VHS is worthless).

niko
02-17-2005, 06:15 AM

For serve I recommend "Sonic Serve" by Nick Bollitiery. I have one and it works great for my 9 year old son.

niko
02-17-2005, 06:23 AM

And one more thing, make sure the color of the tennis balls is right and lighting doesn't bother you! ;)

Angle Queen
02-17-2005, 01:53 PM

Also, how can I add power to my serve? If necessary I am willing to spend a good year bulking up like Hewitt.Well Erik they say tennis is all in your wrists . Watching adult movies should correct this problem . Pa-lese, wimbledonfan. If you're gonna be the first reply, you ought to at least make an effort at an appropriate response.

But Erik, there are some better replies. In addition to the spiders ftd999 mentioned, try good old-fashioned suicides (like the basketball players do) as well as interval training. On a track, run the straight away, walk the curves.

And here are two more off beat suggestions.

Play doubles. How will that help my footwork? Per se, it won't. It'll improve your reaction time...which means you'll have more time...to use your footwork to its best advantage. And finally...

Go dancing (or take a few lessons). It'll improve your footwork for sure...and...good dancers always get the girl (or guy depending on your persuasion).

Good luck!

wimbledonfan
02-17-2005, 02:40 PM
I was only kidding Angle Queen .

Sorry, you have to understand my sense of humour .

Whatever you do Erik just work on exercises that improve your flexibility. Bulking up is

not all that important but, of course it helps if you are tall and strong . Roger Federer

has skinny arms but has a very strong serve , Andy Roddick has a pudgy tummy and he

has a lethal serve . Bottom line is , you don't have to look like Arnold to have a

powerful serve.

Angle Queen
02-17-2005, 03:25 PM
Sorry, you have to understand my sense of humour .
I did and did a little LOL myself at it. Your more expanded reply above...was much better though. :)

I love adult humor (gutter, one-track mind here :p )...but I try to stay mindful of the fact that there are some younger posters. Not trying to say they should stay naive...but I thought the question one of the more thoughtful ones and deserved a real answer.

Dokicfan
02-17-2005, 06:56 PM
muscle wont inmprove your serve is bs. For what other reason do the men serve harder than the women then? And why do bigger players usually serve harder? Lleyton has added like an average of 10-12 mph on his serve by gaining 10 lbs of muscles and the commentators say it too.

federer express
02-17-2005, 08:46 PM
4 keys to great serve: 1) Timing 2) Legs (also see # 1) 3) Rotation 4) Height (Hewitt can bulk up all he wants and won't have this one).

there are no set rules. but u obviously have to time it well. and physical strength does help. bet federer and johansson have very strong right arms and more particularly wrists

tennis4you
02-17-2005, 11:04 PM
Here are 5 footwork drills.

http://www.***************/workshop/footwork/footwork.htm