Davis Cup 2005 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Davis Cup 2005

Pages : [1] 2

jazz_girl
02-16-2005, 12:06 PM
Today at 1:30pm Mancini will confirm the team that will play against Czech Republic. Rumores are that Gaudio and Coria will play the single matches and David with Willy the doubles.
I already have my tickets!!!! :)

*Elsie*
02-16-2005, 12:09 PM
Today at 1:30pm Mancini will confirm the team that will play against Czech Republic. Rumores are that Gaudio and Coria will play the single matches and David with Willy the doubles.
I already have my tickets!!!! :)

You lucky girl. I hope that Argentina wins!

jazz_girl
02-16-2005, 12:16 PM
Thanks!!! :hug:

jazz_girl
02-16-2005, 12:36 PM
I just read a statement made by Gastón and he said: "Even if Sadam is in the team, I would want him to win"
I wonder who he's reffering to...? :haha:

Choupi
02-16-2005, 12:39 PM
I just read a statement made by Gastón and he said: "Even if Sadam is in the team, I would want him to win"
I really wonder who it can be... ;)

Anyway, jazz, you lucky girl! :) I'll have my fingers crossed for your boys while I'll be cheering live for mine against Sweden... ;)

jazz_girl
02-16-2005, 12:42 PM
Thanks!!! I'll try to take a lot of pics so I can post them here!
I'm kind of nervous for the doubles, I've been watching Cañas in Bs As and he was plain awful. He even said that playing in Bs As is not too good for him, cause having the public on his side puts pressure on him, and David is not too good. Although, in the DC anything can happen :)

Choupi
02-16-2005, 12:54 PM
You're right jazz, in DC, everything can happen. You never know.

I'm longing for the pics... :)

jazz_girl
02-16-2005, 12:57 PM
I already test it in the ATP Bs As, and the pics are good. I'll be a little bit further this time, but I think they will nice.

*Ljubica*
02-16-2005, 06:43 PM

:devil: :devil: I wonder :devil:

Action Jackson
02-16-2005, 06:44 PM

I wonder who?

jazz_girl
02-16-2005, 06:47 PM
Well, the team is confirmed now, although Luli didn't say who's gonna play singles and who's gonna play doubles. He said that everyone will start training 10 days before the actual date, and after evaluate them, he'll decide what to do :)
I think Gaudio will play singles for sure, and the other spot will be decided between the other three, cause even though Coria is a great play and David is tough to beat, let's not forget that none of them has had good results lately. I wouldn't mind seeing Coria and David together in doubles, although that's very unlikely to happen...

Action Jackson
02-16-2005, 06:49 PM
I am looking forward to your reports.

*Ljubica*
02-16-2005, 06:49 PM
Well, the team is confirmed now, although Luli didn't say who's gonna play singles and who's gonna play doubles. He said that everyone will start training 10 days before the actual date, and after evaluate them, he'll decide what to do :)
I think Gaudio will play singles for sure, and the other spot will be decided between the other three, cause even though Coria is a great play and David is tough to beat, let's not forget that none of them has had good results lately. I wouldn't mind seeing Coria and David together in doubles, although that's very unlikely to happen...

Thanks for the info Jazz - and enjoy the DC!

Choupi
02-16-2005, 06:53 PM
Thanks for the update jazz. And remember I'm leaning on you for the reports...as I'll be a bit busy with my boys here to follow what's happening for yours...Have fun anyway. :D

jazz_girl
02-16-2005, 06:54 PM
I'll give reports for sure :)

sigmagirl91
02-16-2005, 07:26 PM
I'll give reports for sure :)

Why, thank ya.

jazz_girl
02-16-2005, 07:46 PM
According to Clarin, Mancini confirmed that David and Cañas will play the doubles and that he's still thinking about the singles.

crigazzio
02-16-2005, 08:18 PM
Clarín says something about a bad relation ship between Gaudio and david, and Coria, you know something Jazz??

crigazzio
02-16-2005, 08:22 PM
Well, i´m taulking with my boss, for the friday 04/03 but till now i don´t have answers :( so i can´t buy the tickets, till know if i have that day off in my work...Dam it, Jazz, would be great if i can meet you there!!!!!
Another thing that i saw today in Caras magazine, is that Gaudio dedicated his prize in Bs As to Marcela Klosterboher, she´s an actress here....You know that?

justClaudia
02-16-2005, 10:25 PM
According to Clarin, Mancini confirmed that David and Cañas will play the doubles and that he's still thinking about the singles.

My opinion..just my humble opinion..Gaston should play doubles with Juan Ignacio Chela,they know each others game very well and won title(s) in the past.

And David and Canas should play singles.

But Coria is the king (?) and he has to be there , so...

I still be crossing my fingers for them!
And waiting for those reports and pics,Jazz! ;)

Björki
02-17-2005, 08:11 AM
Vamos Argentina :bounce:
have a lot of fun Jazz :)

bovenbuuf
02-17-2005, 09:37 AM
well seems like a good team to me. Really enjoy your trip Jazz!

*Elsie*
02-17-2005, 12:06 PM
Well, i´m taulking with my boss, for the friday 04/03 but till now i don´t have answers :( so i can´t buy the tickets, till know if i have that day off in my work...Dam it, Jazz, would be great if i can meet you there!!!!!
Another thing that i saw today in Caras magazine, is that Gaudio dedicated his prize in Bs As to Marcela Klosterboher, she´s an actress here....You know that?

I really hope for you that you can go to see your boys playing DC. Do you realise how lucky you are to have so many great players? No matter who plays singles or doubles; I am sure you will win. :)

jazz_girl
02-17-2005, 12:11 PM
Latest news: Stepanek won't come to Argentina, so the Czech team will have: Novak and Berdych in singles and Tomas Zib/Jan Henry in doubles.
Some facts: Coria never played as a local, Gaudio is the one with the most number of matches for the DC, he never lost as a local; Nalbandian never lost as a local either, he only lost once, in Russia. :)

sigmagirl91
02-17-2005, 12:14 PM
Latest news: Stepanek won't come to Argentina, so the Czech team will have: Novak and Berdych in singles and Tomas Zib/Jan Henry in doubles.
Some facts: Coria never played as a local, Gaudio is the one with the most number of matches for the DC, he never lost as a local; Nalbandian never lost as a local either, he only lost once, in Russia. :)

OK, these are some good facts.

jazz_girl
02-17-2005, 12:16 PM
Cañas:
"no me asombró porque ya veníamos hablando con Luli. El equipo es increíble y yo, que estoy 12º en el mundo, soy el más malito"
"I was surprised to be part of the team because we were talking about this with Luli. The team is unbelievable and I, that I'm 12° in the world, am the "most bad"."
BTW, have you checked the MOya/Cañas thread in GM??? Check it! LOL Willy and Carlos were in a tv show yesterday and told the funniest things! LOL

Choupi
02-17-2005, 12:51 PM
Hehe! That's good news!!!! :D Jazz, now I'm longing for your reports...

Laury
02-17-2005, 02:51 PM
David will do it great in doubles :D

jazz_girl
02-17-2005, 05:03 PM
He's always played in doubles when he played the DC, except the last time in Morocco, and he has never lost a match yet. He's even in the world records for playing the longest match with Arnold and against Kafelnikov and Safin :) But this time, he'll be playing with a different partner.

crigazzio
02-17-2005, 05:24 PM
I really hope for you that you can go to see your boys playing DC. Do you realise how lucky you are to have so many great players? No matter who plays singles or doubles; I am sure you will win. :)
Thanks Connie!!!!! :worship:

*Ljubica*
02-17-2005, 05:27 PM
Do we know why Stepanek has decided not to play? I thought he always played DC in the past and he's probably their best player at the moment - seems strange :confused:

crigazzio
02-17-2005, 05:27 PM
He's always played in doubles when he played the DC, except the last time in Morocco, and he has never lost a match yet. He's even in the world records for playing the longest match with Arnold and against Kafelnikov and Safin :) But this time, he'll be playing with a different partner.

He has something good, he always can adapt his game to his partner, is the best in that!!!! :D

jazz_girl
02-17-2005, 05:31 PM
Do we know why Stepanek has decided not to play? I thought he always played DC in the past and he's probably their best player at the moment - seems strange :confused:
I have no idea!!! I just read it in Clarin, I thought it was weird too :confused:

*Ljubica*
02-17-2005, 05:52 PM
I have no idea!!! I just read it in Clarin, I thought it was weird too :confused:

Guess he's not really a clay court player - his serve and volley style is more suited to hard and grass courts. Maybe they think Berdych will do better :confused: Actually - although I laugh about him -I don't dislike Radek - he seems like a nice enough guy - he's always friendly and his girlfriend is lovely (and very pretty too). Now he has beaten David and Ferrero in Rotterdam I wouldn't mind seeing him go on to win the tournament.

jazz_girl
02-17-2005, 06:04 PM
Yeah, but Federer's there...

*Ljubica*
02-17-2005, 06:36 PM
Yeah, but Federer's there...

Yes I know - but it would be nice for someone else to win something occasionally!!!I like Roger but his winning everything does get boring :devil: (sorry Roger fans!)

jazz_girl
02-17-2005, 06:38 PM
I agree! :)
Hey, do you know where Fedex is? I haven't seen him in a long time...

bovenbuuf
02-17-2005, 06:42 PM
yeah it would be nice if somebody else would win R'dam instead of Roger

sigmagirl91
02-17-2005, 07:46 PM
yeah it would be nice if somebody else would win R'dam instead of Roger

And that someone could be?

*Ljubica*
02-17-2005, 08:25 PM
I agree! :)
Hey, do you know where Fedex is? I haven't seen him in a long time...

No - I was wondering that myself :confused: He said he was really busy a few weeks ago - maybe a new job?

We miss you Fedex if you're reading this :hug: - please come back and see us soon.

sigmagirl91
02-17-2005, 08:27 PM
Hey, Fedex, come back.

*Elsie*
02-18-2005, 12:05 PM
And that someone could be?

Well, if Roger doesn't win Rotterdam, it will probably be Roger who'll win it.

*Elsie*
02-18-2005, 12:10 PM
Yes I know - but it would be nice for someone else to win something occasionally!!!I like Roger but his winning everything does get boring :devil: (sorry Roger fans!)

I am sorry, but I don't agree. Roger is defenitely my number two. It's such a great player and a nice boy too. It's just great to see him play and I don't think it's boring at all that he wins almost everything. But I suppose it's better for the tennis if he could be beaten by other players more often and I am counting on David to do so!

*Ljubica*
02-18-2005, 12:16 PM
I am sorry, but I don't agree. Roger is defenitely my number two. It's such a great player and a nice boy too. It's just great to see him play and I don't think it's boring at all that he wins almost everything. But I suppose it's better for the tennis if he could be beaten by other players more often and I am counting on David to do so!

I agree that Roger is a nice guy and I don't necessarily get bored watching him play because he has such a brilliant style to watch - but I do think that it would be better for the sport if other people -not just David but Marat, Hewitt, Henman, Agassi etc won a few more majors - just my opinion -no offence to Roger or his fans. :)

Choupi
02-18-2005, 12:28 PM
We miss you Fedex if you're reading this :hug: - please come back and see us soon.
Yes, Fedex. Tell us you're OK.

Well, concerning Roger, I think that he's winning everything is killing the game in a way. And no offense at all in my words against whoever supports him. It's just that it would be so great to see sbdy really contesting his domination more than how it's done today. I mean on a sportive level of course! Marat has lead the way at the AO. I hope others will follow.

sigmagirl91
02-18-2005, 12:34 PM
Yes, Fedex. Tell us you're OK.

Well, concerning Roger, I think that he's winning everything is killing the game in a way. And no offense at all in my words against whoever supports him. It's just that it would be so great to see sbdy really contesting his domination more than how it's done today. I mean on a sportive level of course! Marat has lead the way at the AO. I hope others will follow.

I think Marat's victory over him will encourage others to have more self-belief when it comes to Roger.

*Elsie*
02-18-2005, 01:49 PM
I think Marat's victory over him will encourage others to have more self-belief when it comes to Roger.

Tomas Berdych's victory didn't really encourage them...

sigmagirl91
02-18-2005, 01:59 PM
Tomas Berdych's victory didn't really encourage them...

I guess a win by a higher-ranked player did the trick.

*Elsie*
02-18-2005, 02:25 PM

Let's wait and see. It's never good for a sport when it's always the same who wins, but when you think of it, it's not such a long time that Roger wins everything. I mean, compared to Sampras. Now thàt was boring!

(I hope you understand what I mean. I don't like the way I expres myself but I can't find other word. I am a bit tired (it's the afternoondip)).

bovenbuuf
02-18-2005, 02:33 PM
i know what you mean Connie.. and well often have my afternoondip aswel...

novanora
02-18-2005, 02:40 PM
:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

That's true. When Berdych beated him in Olympic Games, many ones said it's in the 1st round, Roger didn't get enough ready, and as the 1st time meeting Berdych, Roger is not familiar with his style....so so. Though the Czech boy's potential has been admired, this victory is considered as only a "big surprise" by most ones.

But Safin's victory is different, not only coz he met Roger for 7 times before, and lost the latest 3 but quite close, and also as a GS semi-finaly match, more people can watch this exciting process, not denying Safin's great performance in that match, plus those former general oppinion that Safin is the most possible guy in Top 10 who can beat Roger. So quite obviously, this victory is much more recognized.

novanora
02-18-2005, 02:47 PM
Let's wait and see. It's never good for a sport when it's always the same who wins, but when you think of it, it's not such a long time that Roger wins everything. I mean, compared to Sampras. Now thàt was boring!

(I hope you understand what I mean. I don't like the way I expres myself but I can't find other word. I am a bit tired (it's the afternoondip)).
awhh..Connie, don't take it too serious. Except Roger fans, almost everyone gets bored with his winning, and i can understand that :p

Yeah, Roger, GO AND WIN every match with your brilliant tennis until you meet David again :cool:

jazz_girl
02-18-2005, 08:07 PM
Well, finally according to Olé, Stepanek will not be playing cause he wants to dedicate his time to his schedule.

Soda
02-18-2005, 11:10 PM
Well, finally according to Olé, Stepanek will not be playing cause he wants to dedicate his time to his schedule.
chicken!, anyway with or without them david and our guys will kick those czeck asses bad. hey the double couple is finally going to be nalbi-willy??, or did i heard wrong........

jazz_girl
02-18-2005, 11:18 PM
Yeah, that's the couple

Soda
02-18-2005, 11:23 PM
thanks, that's gonna be easy.

bovenbuuf
02-19-2005, 10:01 AM
well guess it will be a little bit more easy now for argentina to win, with no Radek around. He did play very well in R'dam

Iza
02-19-2005, 12:24 PM
who's playing the singles? gaston and david? or coria?
good that stepanek is out...*phew*

jazz_girl
02-19-2005, 12:45 PM
The singles is not confirmed yet, but it looks like it will be Gaudio and Coria.

Björki
02-19-2005, 12:53 PM
are u going all three days Jazz?

bovenbuuf
02-19-2005, 01:52 PM
yeah she must go all the 3 days. Must be nice to be there, and see them play!

jazz_girl
02-19-2005, 02:06 PM
Of course I'm going the three days! :)

justClaudia
02-19-2005, 11:32 PM
Of course I'm going the three days! :)

Lucky you!! I wish I was there...

NOUKY
02-20-2005, 08:29 PM
You're going to cheer him for all of us, Jazz, aren't you ? ;) and give us some news ! :) I wish you a lot of fun there ! :bounce:
do you know who I could ask to get a video tape of David's davis cup matches, I'd like to watch his playing doubles so much !! here in France, they will show only france against sweden on tv :sad: ! thanks for helping me :smooch:

jazz_girl
02-20-2005, 08:31 PM
I'm not sure...MY VCR is broken so I can't lend you one...Maybe someone else from Argentina?

*Ljubica*
02-20-2005, 09:19 PM
You're going to cheer him for all of us, Jazz, aren't you ? ;) and give us some news ! :) I wish you a lot of fun there ! :bounce:
do you know who I could ask to get a video tape of David's davis cup matches, I'd like to watch his playing doubles so much !! here in France, they will show only france against sweden on tv :sad: ! thanks for helping me :smooch:

I actually want one too Nouky! Here in England we are also getting to see only France v Sweden :sad: and I would love to see David's doubles match.

Björki
02-20-2005, 09:37 PM
I actually want one too Nouky! Here in England we are also getting to see only France v Sweden :sad: and I would love to see David's doubles match.
I would love to see Sweden vs France.
we get Germany vs South Africa :(

*Ljubica*
02-20-2005, 09:49 PM

I would gladly record Sweden v France for you if you wanted :)

sigmagirl91
02-20-2005, 10:36 PM
Here? It's, of course, the US vs. Croatia.

bovenbuuf
02-21-2005, 07:12 AM
well I guess we only will see some short moments from what Holland is doing...

*Elsie*
02-21-2005, 12:41 PM

In Sweden you get Germany vs South Africa???????

*Elsie*
02-21-2005, 12:43 PM
Thanks Connie!!!!! :worship:

You are welcome. Where are you Ceci?

*Ljubica*
02-21-2005, 12:43 PM

Bjorki lives in Germany - just supports Sweden :)

*Elsie*
02-21-2005, 12:46 PM

OK, thanks for the information Rose.

Björki
02-21-2005, 01:16 PM
:lol: I am German. I just love Sweden that's why I have the Swedish flag.

Björki
02-21-2005, 01:20 PM
ah thx Rosie I didn't see you already answered for me :)

sigmagirl91
02-21-2005, 01:31 PM
:lol: I am German. I just love Sweden that's why I have the Swedish flag.

:D

Björki
02-21-2005, 01:38 PM
Hope you girls are still talking to me :eek:

*Ljubica*
02-21-2005, 01:51 PM
:) Hope you girls are still talking to me :eek:

Course I am sweetie - perhaps I ought to have an Argentine flag because I'm English but I tend to support all the Argentine players :)

Action Jackson
02-21-2005, 01:56 PM
ah thx Rosie I didn't see you already answered for me :)

As long as the German tourists stop stealing the moose warning signs from Sweden and Norway then it's all good.

*Ljubica*
02-21-2005, 02:03 PM
As long as the German tourists stop stealing the moose warning signs from Sweden and Norway then it's all good.

How do you know it's just the Germans? Don't the English do it too?

Choupi
02-21-2005, 02:06 PM
Come with me then... :) But sorry, I won't cheer for the same as you! ;)
Seriously, you want me to tape matches?

Action Jackson
02-21-2005, 02:07 PM
How do you know it's just the Germans? Don't the English do it too?

The English aren't intelligent enough or travel up far enough to get them, they just prefer pub brawls and trying to hit onto the Swedish women. :p

*Ljubica*
02-21-2005, 02:13 PM
The English aren't intelligent enough or travel up far enough to get them, they just prefer pub brawls and trying to hit onto the Swedish women. :p

:devil: We're not all that bad you know. Besides - Swedish women don't do it for me at all :angel:

Björki
02-21-2005, 02:14 PM
GWH I never have stolen these moose warning signs :) really!! but they are cool :lol: I also loved the Koala, Skippy signs in Australia but came home without any. :)

sigmagirl91
02-21-2005, 02:15 PM
I like the "Warning:Deer" signs, although that didn't help when I hit one.

Action Jackson
02-21-2005, 02:16 PM
:devil: We're not all that bad you know. Besides - Swedish women don't do it for me at all :angel:

Well it depends on where in Sweden and of course they aren't all that bad. That would be me thinking every Yank is like my login name and that's not true.

*Elsie*
02-21-2005, 02:17 PM

Sure I will talk to you! As long as the Dutch foorballplayers beat 'Der Mannschaft!' :)

sigmagirl91
02-21-2005, 02:21 PM

No probs. You're cool. :)

Action Jackson
02-21-2005, 02:22 PM
GWH I never have stolen these moose warning signs :) really!! but they are cool :lol: I also loved the Koala, Skippy signs in Australia but came home without any. :)

Of course the girls will talk to you, myself unless you return the moose signs I'll have to think about it.

*Ljubica*
02-21-2005, 02:31 PM
Of course the girls will talk to you, myself unless you return the moose signs I'll have to think about it.

She can bring them to Monte Carlo and hand them over to me - we can have a kind of moose amnesty :) Actually I have a large stuffed moose at home - his name is Sami after the footballer Sami Hyppia (did I spell that right?) - not surprisingly he came from Finland so he's not part of the amnesty - and he's staying with me :)

Action Jackson
02-21-2005, 02:33 PM
Go to the stuffed moose. The moose is a great animal. Sami Hyyppia is the correct spelling, but you were close and keep him.

Björki
02-21-2005, 02:37 PM
Girls who know GWH I hope he is just kidding?! :)
bye for now... :wavey:

sigmagirl91
02-21-2005, 02:40 PM
Girls who know GWH I hope he is just kidding?! :)
bye for now... :wavey:

Where ya going?

*Ljubica*
02-21-2005, 02:41 PM
Go to the stuffed moose. The moose is a great animal. Sami Hyyppia is the correct spelling, but you were close and keep him.

Thanks for the correction - I thought my spelling was wrong somewhere - but just couldn't work out where. As to my stuffed moose - we are rarely parted :) If I dared I would buy him an Argentina shirt and take him to David's matches with me - but he is rather large and may draw too much undue attention.

Bye for now Bjorki :wavey:

Action Jackson
02-21-2005, 02:43 PM
My moose had a seat at Båstad and the Aus Open once.

Choupi
02-21-2005, 02:44 PM
She can bring them to Monte Carlo and hand them over to me - we can have a kind of moose amnesty :) Actually I have a large stuffed moose at home - his name is Sami after the footballer Sami Hyppia (did I spell that right?) - not surprisingly he came from Finland so he's not part of the amnesty - and he's staying with me :)
How do Sasha and Wilby treat Sam? Hopefully not as Pinky treats the poor miserable stuffed bears I happen to have here! :rolleyes:

sigmagirl91
02-21-2005, 02:45 PM
If I dared I would buy him an Argentina shirt and take him to David's matches with me - but he is rather large and may draw too much undue attention.

They'd stop match play just because of the moose.

Choupi
02-21-2005, 02:47 PM
Oh how I would have loved to witness that!!!!! :p

*Ljubica*
02-21-2005, 02:51 PM
How do Sasha and Wilby treat Sam? Hopefully not as Pinky treats the poor miserable stuffed bears I happen to have here! :rolleyes:

Wilby cuddles up to him and tries to sleep next to him - thinks he's a large Mother cat or something :) Macho Sasha just attacks him at every opportunity - so fairly true to type actually :devil:

Must admit I think David might like him though - might make him smile :)

sigmagirl91
02-21-2005, 02:52 PM

:eek: :eek: Now, that would be interesting.

*Ljubica*
02-21-2005, 02:55 PM

Wasn't it a little warm for him in Asutralia?

Choupi
02-21-2005, 02:56 PM
Wilby cuddles up to him and tries to sleep next to him - thinks he's a large Mother cat or something :) Macho Sasha just attacks him at every opportunity - so fairly true to type actually :devil:
Pinky simply considers every stuffed bear or toy as a true threat for her wide territory. So imagine the war... :rolleyes: The only one she doesn't dare attack is a stuffed rabbit I won in a lotery. But of course, given the size, it's logical. I couldn't have it enter my car... :)

sigmagirl91
02-21-2005, 02:58 PM
Pinky simply considers every stuffed bear or toy as a true threat for her wide territory. So imagine the war... :rolleyes: The only one she doesn't dare attack is a stuffed rabbit I won in a lotery. But of course, given the size, it's logical. I couldn't have it enter my car... :)

Pinky is fiercely protective, indeed.

*Ljubica*
02-21-2005, 02:58 PM

Cats are like men - always wanting 100% of our attention :angel:

sigmagirl91
02-21-2005, 02:59 PM

:haha: :haha: :haha:

Choupi
02-21-2005, 03:03 PM
Yes, they can be exclusive. But aren't we a bit that way too? ;)

sigmagirl91
02-21-2005, 03:05 PM

Of course, but would we have it any other way?

justClaudia
02-21-2005, 05:45 PM

Actually I think we're even worst then them.....Or maybe it's me... I need a lot of attention from my boyfriend otherwise we're in trouble :p

*Ljubica*
02-25-2005, 12:22 PM
http://www.lanacion.com.ar/deportiva/Nota.asp?nota_id=682613

Coria, el único en acción

En la primera jornada de entrenamientos que el capitán Alberto Mancini dispuso para el match ante la República Checa por la Copa Davis, desde el viernes próximo, el único jugador que practicó en el court central del Buenos Aires fue Guillermo Coria.

El N° 5 del mundo, bajo la mirada de Carla, su mujer, y su preparador físico, Javier Capitaine, peloteó en el mediodía con Demián Gschwend, de 18 años e integrante de la Escuela de Alto Rendimiento que conduce el ex capitán Gustavo Luza, que se dio una vuelta por la práctica; por la tarde, el subcampeón del abierto francés jugó durante una hora con Diego Hartfield, 322° del Ranking.

Más allá de que lleva nueve meses sin jugar sobre polvo de ladrillo –desde que perdió la final de Roland Garros–, Coria, que ya se entrenó un par de días en Rosario junto con Mancini, se mostró en buena forma y se prevé que la semana que resta de trabajo bastará para completar la readaptación a su superficie predilecta. "Iba a jugar en Acapulco, pero preferí venir un par de semanas antes, porque tengo malas experiencias en los torneos previos a la Davis", comentó Coria, que disputará su segunda serie en la Davis –debutó en el 5-0 frente a Marruecos en febrero de 2004– y la primera en La Catedral.

El que faltó fue David Nalbandian, con un estado febril y que podría integrarse hoy por la tarde. Guillermo Cañas, vale recordarlo, se sumará a las prácticas cuando concluya su participación en el ATP de Acapulco.

El equipo checo, integrado por Jiri Novak, Tomas Berdych, Jan Hernych, Tomas Zib y el capitán Cyril Suk, llegará a nuestro país mañana por la mañana.

TRANSLATION

CORIA IS THE ONLY ONE AT PRACTICE

Guillermo Coria was the only player in action on the first day of Davis Cup training that Alberto Mancini had arranged to prepare for the tie against the Czech Republic starting next Friday. The World Number 5 practiced on Court Central of the Buenos Aires Lawn Tennis Club, watched by his wife Carla, and his physical trainer Javier Capitaine. His practice partner was 18 year old Demián Gschwend, a pupil of the School of High Performance that former Davis Cup captain Gustavo Luza leads. He practiced with him at noon,and then returned in the evening playing for an hour against Diego Hartfield, 322° in the World Ranking. It has been nine months since he last played on clay - losing the final of Roland Garros to Gaston Gaudio-, but he has already trained for a few days with Mancini in his home city of Rosario. He was in good form and it is anticipated that this week's work will be enough to complete his readjustment to his favourite surface. "I was going to play in Acapulco" said Coria," but I preferred to come here for a few weeks, because I've had bad experiences in previous Davis Cup ties", Coria said that this will be his second Davis Cup tie - he made debut in the 5-0 defeat of Morocco in February 2004- and this will be his first at home.

David Nalbandian, was not present at practice due to a fever and he was not fit to practice in the evening either. Guillermo Canas, will join the Team practices when he finishes his participation in the ATP Acapulco tournament. The Czech Team of Jiri Novak, Thomas Berdych, Jan Hernych and Thomas Zib along with captain Cyril Suk, will arrive in Argentina tomorrow morning (Saturday).

Björki
02-25-2005, 12:28 PM
Get well soon David :hug:

sigmagirl91
02-25-2005, 12:29 PM
http://www.lanacion.com.ar/deportiva/Nota.asp?nota_id=682613

Coria, el único en acción

En la primera jornada de entrenamientos que el capitán Alberto Mancini dispuso para el match ante la República Checa por la Copa Davis, desde el viernes próximo, el único jugador que practicó en el court central del Buenos Aires fue Guillermo Coria.

El N° 5 del mundo, bajo la mirada de Carla, su mujer, y su preparador físico, Javier Capitaine, peloteó en el mediodía con Demián Gschwend, de 18 años e integrante de la Escuela de Alto Rendimiento que conduce el ex capitán Gustavo Luza, que se dio una vuelta por la práctica; por la tarde, el subcampeón del abierto francés jugó durante una hora con Diego Hartfield, 322° del Ranking.

Más allá de que lleva nueve meses sin jugar sobre polvo de ladrillo –desde que perdió la final de Roland Garros–, Coria, que ya se entrenó un par de días en Rosario junto con Mancini, se mostró en buena forma y se prevé que la semana que resta de trabajo bastará para completar la readaptación a su superficie predilecta. "Iba a jugar en Acapulco, pero preferí venir un par de semanas antes, porque tengo malas experiencias en los torneos previos a la Davis", comentó Coria, que disputará su segunda serie en la Davis –debutó en el 5-0 frente a Marruecos en febrero de 2004– y la primera en La Catedral.

El que faltó fue David Nalbandian, con un estado febril y que podría integrarse hoy por la tarde. Guillermo Cañas, vale recordarlo, se sumará a las prácticas cuando concluya su participación en el ATP de Acapulco.

El equipo checo, integrado por Jiri Novak, Tomas Berdych, Jan Hernych, Tomas Zib y el capitán Cyril Suk, llegará a nuestro país mañana por la mañana.

TRANSLATION

CORIA IS THE ONLY ONE AT PRACTICE

Guillermo Coria was the only player in action on the first day of Davis Cup training that Alberto Mancini had arranged to prepare for the tie against the Czech Republic starting next Friday. The World Number 5 practiced on Court Central of the Buenos Aires Lawn Tennis Club, watched by his wife Carla, and his physical trainer Javier Capitaine. His practice partner was 18 year old Demián Gschwend, a pupil of the School of High Performance that former Davis Cup captain Gustavo Luza leads. He practiced with him at noon,and then returned in the evening playing for an hour against Diego Hartfield, 322° in the World Ranking. It has been nine months since he last played on clay - losing the final of Roland Garros to Gaston Gaudio-, but he has already trained for a few days with Mancini in his home city of Rosario. He was in good form and it is anticipated that this week's work will be enough to complete his readjustment to his favourite surface. "I was going to play in Acapulco" said Coria," but I preferred to come here for a few weeks, because I've had bad experiences in previous Davis Cup ties", Coria said that this will be his second Davis Cup tie - he made debut in the 5-0 defeat of Morocco in February 2004- and this will be his first at home.

David Nalbandian, was not present at practice due to a fever and he was not fit to practice in the evening either. Guillermo Canas, will join the Team practices when he finishes his participation in the ATP Acapulco tournament. The Czech Team of Jiri Novak, Thomas Berdych, Jan Hernych and Thomas Zib along with captain Cyril Suk, will arrive in Argentina tomorrow morning (Saturday).

Thanks, Rosie.

Vale
02-25-2005, 12:42 PM
This is an excerpt of Mancini's statements in today's Olé:

http://www.ole.clarin.com/jsp/v3/pagina.jsp?pagId=928330

“Gastón’s being out is an important loss. He was showing a tremendous level of play on slow courts and he was feeling very confident. He would have been very useful to us”, Luli told Olé. With Gaudio out, Nalbandián, who will play the doubles with Cañas, will also be playing singles, so the Argentine public will have the pleasure of seeing the man from Unquillo and Coria competing in the Davis Cup for the first time in Buenos Aires. This afternoon Mancini will announce the Gato’s replacement, taking into account “the results of the Argentines playing in Acapulco. I might be inclined to choose one who could be good either in singles or in doubles”.

I've seen no further news about David's health, since reading yesterday that he was suffering from fever and vomits. :confused:

*Ljubica*
02-25-2005, 12:48 PM
This is an excerpt of Mancini's statements in today's Olé:

http://www.ole.clarin.com/jsp/v3/pagina.jsp?pagId=928330

“Gastón’s being out is an important loss. He was showing a tremendous level of play on slow courts and he was feeling very confident. He would have been very useful to us”, Luli told Olé. With Gaudio out, Nalbandián, who will play the doubles with Cañas, will also be playing singles, so the Argentine public will have the pleasure of seeing the man from Unquillo and Coria competing in the Davis Cup for the first time in Buenos Aires. This afternoon Mancini will announce the Gato’s replacement, taking into account “the results of the Argentines playing in Acapulco. I might be inclined to choose one who could be good either in singles or in doubles”.

I've seen no further news about David's health, since reading yesterday that he was suffering from fever and vomits. :confused:

Thanks Vale :hug:

Björki
02-25-2005, 12:54 PM
thanks Vale :worship:
vamos David :bounce:

*Ljubica*
02-25-2005, 01:32 PM
According to a friend of mine in Argentina, David should be training this afternoon for the first time. Seems his "fever" was more a 24-hour stomach bug than the full-blown flu . If I hear anymore I'll keep you posted. I'm going off-line for an hour or so now (need to do some housework!), - but I'll be back!!!

sigmagirl91
02-25-2005, 01:38 PM
OK, Rosie. See ya in a little bit.

Choupi
02-25-2005, 02:33 PM
At least there are some good news coming from Argentina...David isn't as sick as we were fearing and he will play singles in DC. It helps compensating a bit the bitterness around Gaston's injury...

sigmagirl91
02-25-2005, 02:38 PM
It is good news. Hope David holds up.

*Ljubica*
02-25-2005, 02:56 PM
It is good news. Hope David holds up.

I hope so too Sigma. I admit I'm a little worried that playing singles AND doubles may put too much strain on him phyiscially and emotionally - especially with the pressure of playing at home - but I'm sure Mancini knows what he's doing, and they wouldn't force David to do anything he didn't feel comfortable with I'm sure.

sigmagirl91
02-25-2005, 03:06 PM
I hope so too Sigma. I admit I'm a little worried that playing singles AND doubles may put too much strain on him phyiscially and emotionally - especially with the pressure of playing at home - but I'm sure Mancini knows what he's doing, and they wouldn't force David to do anything he didn't feel comfortable with I'm sure.

And, no matter what the papers say, I don't think David's fully over what's ailing him. Twenty-four hour bug notwithstanding, he will still feel the effects of it now-or even tomorrow.

Vale
02-25-2005, 03:06 PM
Rosie, I'm guessing that if Friday's results are good, the doubles will be Cañas/Calleri, (although Calleri hasn't been nominated yet)

*Ljubica*
02-25-2005, 03:22 PM
Rosie, I'm guessing that if Friday's results are good, the doubles will be Cañas/Calleri, (although Calleri hasn't been nominated yet)

Yes - I tend to agree Vale. And both Cañas and Calleri are more than adequate singles players to carry out the Sunday matches especially if they're "dead" rubbers. as we call them here. David may only be called upon to play on the 3rd day if the tie is close - and OMG - I don't even want to THINK about that stress yet :eek:

sigmagirl91
02-25-2005, 03:28 PM
Yes - I tend to agree Vale. And both Cañas and Calleri are more than adequate singles players to carry out the Sunday matches especially if they're "dead" rubbers. as we call them here. David may only be called upon to play on the 3rd day if the tie is close - and OMG - I don't even want to THINK about that stress yet :eek:

Neither do I. That's entirely too much to carry on one person's shoulders.

*Ljubica*
02-25-2005, 03:59 PM
This is an article about the Czech Republic's chances next week - as seen by their top players Jiri Novak and Thomas Zib.

http://www.ole.clarin.com/jsp/v3/pagina.jsp?pagId=928455

Novak: “Tenemos una chance en cien de ganarle a Argentina”

Jiri Novak, líder del equipo de República Checa, declaró que ve muy difícil poder ganar la serie de Copa Davis frente a la Argentina que comienza el próximo fin de semana. “Definitivamente, no somos los favoritos”, señaló.

La República Checa viaja a Argentina con casi nulas esperanzas de ganar el duelo por la primera ronda de la Copa Davis, la semana próxima. "Definitivamente, no somos los favoritos. Nuestras chances son de una contra 99", admitió con crudeza Jiri Novak, líder del equipo europeo. Por su parte, Tomas Zib, el segundo singlista, muestra un poco más de optimismo: “No estoy de acuerdo. Todo puede pasar, alguien se puede lesionar durante el partido, se puede ganar algún punto con suerte... Diría que las chances son de 80 a 20 a favor de los argentinos".

Rankeado en la 29ª posición del ranking mundial, Novak es el líder del equipo ante la ausencia de Radek Stepanek, número uno checo. Y se deshace en elogios a los tenistas argentinos: "Ellos tienen grandes jugadores, el apoyo del público, juegan en polvo... No tenemos nada que perder, así que podremos jugar sin presión y ver qué sucede en los individuales".

La ausencia de Gastón Gaudio tampoco cambia demasiado las cosas desde la perspectiva de Novak. "No hay diferencia por el hecho de que Gaudio no esté, porque tienen tantos jugadores buenos.... Nalbandian, Cañas, Coria, Chela, Zabaleta, Calleri... Tienen muchos grandes jugadores en los top 50, más dos top ten, y es su superficie favorita", comentó.

Pese a su pesimismo de cara a la serie en Buenos Aires, el tenista checo no ve a la Argentina madura aún como para ganar este año su primer título en la Davis. "Si jugaran la serie en la República Checa todo sería muy diferente. Y si tuvieran todos los partidos en Argentina sería más sencillo que ganaran la Copa", analizó.

Por su parte, Zib, 80° del mundo, apuntó al que, a su entender, es el punto débil del equipo argentino: "No creo que puedan ganarla este año. Son todos especialistas en individuales, y es difícil ganar la Davis sin un dobles".

TRANSLATION

The Czech Republic travels to Argentina with almost no hope of winning the Davis Cup tie according to their Number 1 player Jiri Novak. "Definitively we are not the favourites" he admitted, "Our chances are about 1 in 99".

On the other hand, Thomas Zib, their second singles player, shows a little more optimism: "I don't agree. Anything can happen, - somebody can be injured during a match, someone can get a lucky point... Though I would say that Argentina's chances are 80% against our 20%!"

Ranked at Number 29 in the world, Novak is the leader of the Team and will be the Czech Number 1 in the absence of Radek Stepanek. And he is full of praise for the Argentine tennis players: "They have great players, they will have the support of the crowd and they will play on clay" he said. "But we do not have anything to lose, so we'll be able to play without pressure and to see what happens in each match".

The absence of Gastón Gaudio does not change things too much in Novak's eyes. "Gaudio's withdrawal makes no difference" he says "because they have so many good players to choose from.... Nalbandian, Canas, Coria, Chela, Zabaleta, Calleri... They have many great players in the top 50, two others in the top ten as well as Gaudio, and they will be on their favorite surface "

In spite of his pesimism before the start of the series in Buenos Aires, the Czech tennis player still does not see Argentina winning their first Davis Cup title this year. "If this match was held in the Czech Republic then played everything would be very different, and if they had all their ties in Argentina then it would be simpler for them to win the Davis Cup", he analysed.

On the other hand, Zib, Number 80 in the world, mentioned what he sees as the weak point in the Argentine equipment: "I don't believe they can win it this year. They are all singles specialists, and it's difficult to win the Davis Cup without a specialist doubles team ".

sigmagirl91
02-25-2005, 04:49 PM
Thanks, Rosie. Maybe things will be OK after all.

Soda
02-25-2005, 07:18 PM
actually...he said ''1 in 100'' about the chances to win, c'mon ''rosie''.....you have to translate it right...hehe

sigmagirl91
02-25-2005, 07:34 PM
actually...he said ''1 in 100'' about the chances to win, c'mon ''rosie''.....you have to translate it right...hehe

You're getting waaaay too technical, especially when the article said "99" and not "100".

Soda
02-25-2005, 07:55 PM
really??..wow, you're smart, specially on jokes.

sigmagirl91
02-25-2005, 07:56 PM
really??..wow, you're smart, specially on jokes.

I sure am, sweetie. Any other things you need me to do for you? :devil:

*Ljubica*
02-25-2005, 08:09 PM

You're welcome to translate anytime Soda :angel: and save me the trouble - but last time I looked "99", was the same in any language!!!!

Soda
02-25-2005, 08:20 PM
I sure am, sweetie. Any other things you need me to do for you? :devil:
yeah, get at least one joke.

sigmagirl91
02-25-2005, 08:30 PM
yeah, get at least one joke.

OK.....never mind. We'd have to make a triple-X thread for that mess. You'd have to get your mama on here.

sigmagirl91
02-25-2005, 08:31 PM
You're welcome to translate anytime Soda :angel: and save me the trouble - but last time I looked "99", was the same in any language!!!!

And so is 69!!! Whoops, I think I told a joke. Sodaaaa, where are you? :devil:

*Ljubica*
02-25-2005, 08:33 PM
And so is 69!!! Whoops, I think I told a joke. Sodaaaa, where are you? :devil:

But do you think an innocent young lad like Soda would understand your joke? :angel: And - no - I am NOT volunteering to explain it to him!!

sigmagirl91
02-25-2005, 08:37 PM
But do you think an innocent young lad like Soda would understand your joke? :angel: And - no - I am NOT volunteering to explain it to him!!

I will let mr. spaghetti man languish on this one.

justClaudia
02-25-2005, 11:08 PM
Thanks for the news Rosie and Vale!!

Rosie your translations are perfect...thank God we have you here to do that job!!

I was thinking that Mancini could give Mariano Puerta a chance..he is in a great form and very confident..I don't know, whatever he decides is good for Argentina.

Soda
02-26-2005, 12:34 AM
what are you talking about claudia?? i think that la chicholina has more chances to play than puerta, c'mon....

RogiFan88
02-26-2005, 01:29 AM
let's hope that the Czechs are overconfident...

sigmagirl91
02-26-2005, 02:14 AM
We can only hope.

*Ljubica*
02-26-2005, 11:28 AM
David will start practising with the Davis Cup team from Monday 28th Feburary. He is said to be recovering from his gastric fever.

http://www.clarin.com/diario/2005/02/26/deportes/d-07605.htm

En el Buenos Aires, Guillermo Coria volvió a entrenar en doble turno a la espera de sus compañeros. David Nalbandian, con gastroenteritis, recién practicará en el BALTC desde el lunes.

In Buenos Aires, Guillermo Coria completed two training sessions as his fellow Team mates were delayed in their arrival at the Courts. David Nalbandian, who has gastroenteritis, will start practicing at the Buenos Aires Lawn Tennis Club from Monday.

*Ljubica*
02-26-2005, 11:49 AM
More DC news.....................

http://www.lanacion.com.ar/deportiva/Nota.asp?nota_id=683021

Hoy se conocerá al cuarto hombre

Alberto Mancini, capitán del conjunto nacional, dará a conocer hoy, a las 12.30, el nombre del reemplazante del lesionado Gastón Gaudio. Hasta anoche, el que contaba con más posibilidades era Agustín Calleri, aunque también son candidatos Juan Ignacio Chela y Mariano Puerta. Además del esperado anuncio, para hoy se aguarda el arribo de los otros integrantes del equipo, Guillermo Cañas (procedente de Acapulco) y de David Nalbandian, que estaba en Córdoba recuperándose de una molestia estomacal. Coria, que ayer se adiestró con Diego Hartfield y peloteó con su hermano menor, Federico, se entrenará desde las 10.

TRANSLATION

Today the fourth man will be known. Alberto Mancini, captain of the National Team, will reveal the name of Gastón Gaudio's replacement today at 12.30pm. Until last night, the one that seemed most likely was Agustín Calleri, although Juan-Ignacio Chela and Mariano Puerta are also candidates. As well as waiting for this announcement, we are also waiting fo the arrival of the other Team members to join Guillermo Coria in training. Guillermo Canas will be coming from Acapulco, and David Nalbandian will be arriving from home in Cordoba where he is recovering from stomach problems. Yesterday, Coria trained with Diego Hartfield and also hit balls with his younger brother Federico. He will train at the BALTC from 10.00am today..

*Ljubica*
02-26-2005, 01:08 PM
From the local Cordoban newspaper:-

http://www.lavozdelinterior.net/2005/0226/deportes/nota308271_1.htm

Fe ciega
Por Fabián Sacarelli

La Copa Davis genera siempre una clima especial. Sobre todo cuando el escenario es el Buenos Aires Lawn Tennis, la “catedral” del tenis argentino. Pero cuando un jugador acumula batallas importantes en los principales torneos del mundo, asume estos compromisos con más naturalidad. Así se siente el cordobés David Nalbandian, a pocos días del match ante República Checa, que se jugará entre el viernes y domingo próximos.

–¿Cómo ves el match ante los checos?

–Tenemos un buen equipo y en teoría no deberíamos pasar grandes problemas. La Copa Davis es Copa Davis y se puede complicar, pero no veo por qué Argentina no debería estar en segunda ronda.

–¿Sienten mucho la baja de Gastón Gaudio?

–No, creo que no, porque si bien es un jugador que estuvo jugando muy bien el último tiempo –en polvo de ladrillo es uno de los mejores–, nosotros tenemos mucho equipo por detrás para rendir igual.

–El riocuartense Agustín Calleri es el candidato uno para reemplazarlo, ¿cómo lo ves?

–“El Gordo” demostró en Málaga (en 2003, allí le ganó a Juan Carlos Ferrero) que está a la altura. Si bien siempre le tocó jugar de visitante y de local es otra cosa, lo veo bien.

–También va a ser el reencuentro con el público argentino después de dos años, desde Rusia en abril de 2003. ¿Cómo te imaginás ese momento?

–Bien, la gente nos quiere, sabe lo duro que es estar donde estamos, el sacrificio que hacemos, y les damos muchas alegrías.

–¿No crees que repercuta el hecho de no haber jugado el ATP de Buenos Aires y sí en Europa?

–No, son decisiones profesionales de cada uno. Yo no me meto en las decisiones profesionales de otro, así que no veo por qué. Además no creo que le hagan barra a los checos (risas).

Los rivales

Los checos traerán a Jiri Novak (27º), Tomas Berdych (45º), Jan Hernych (73º) y Tomas Zib (80º). No estará Radek Stepanek (26º), una baja sensible para los checos, tanto como la de Gaudio para Argentina.

El mejor jugador visitante es el checo Jiri Novak, ex cinco del mundo en 2002, pero que a los 30 años está en la curva descendente de su carrera. Si Nalbandian y Coria juegan los singles, sería el rival del cordobés el próximo viernes. Por su parte, Berdych es muy completo pero le falta experiencia (tiene 19 años). En los Juegos Olímpicos eliminó nada menos que al suizo Roger Federer.

–¿Qué clase de jugadores son Novak y Berdych?

–Si bien son jugadores duros, que hay que tenerlos en cuenta y respetarlos, Argentina tiene grandes jugadores, más jugando en condición de local, en casa, y sobre polvo de ladrillo. Tenemos muchas más chances nosotros que ellos.

–¿Novak es el rival a vencer?

–Yo perdí en la final de Basilea el año pasado, pero si bien era carpeta bajo techo, donde él se desempeña mejor, acá le puede costar más. No nos olvidemos de los jugadores que tenemos. Para ganarle a Argentina tienen que jugar muy bien los cinco puntos, y eso es muy difícil.

–De ganar, en cuartos el rival sería Australia, y de visitante.

–Ese es un partido complicado, jugaríamos en Australia, seguramente en pasto... es una serie muy difícil. Ahora tenemos ésta por delante. Hay que ganarla porque la otra es recién en julio, así que tenemos tiempo para pensar y ver el mejor equipo.

–¿Argentina es el “dream team”?

–Sólo por nombres y ranking. El año pasado teníamos un gran equipo y perdimos con Bielorrusia de visitante. Jugando de visitante nos falta un poquito pero tenemos equipo para estar prendidos.

–¿Qué les falta?

–Tuvimos un poco de mala suerte en algunas series. Contra Rusia en 2002 (semifinales), a Gaudio se le escapó un partido increíble contra Kafelnikov y estuvimos ahí nomás (perdimos 3-2). En las semifinales 2003, ni Guillermo Coria ni yo fuimos a Málaga y tuvimos chances igual. A España, los partidos fuertes le tocan de local y ahí hacen diferencia. Creo que Argentina está cerca, le falta un poquito de suerte en los sorteos.

TRANSLATION

Blind faith
By Fabian Sacarelli

The Davis Cup always generates a special climate. Especially when the scene is the Buenos Aires Lawn Tennis Club, the so-called "cathedral" of Argentine tennis. But when a player takes part in so many important battles in the main matches all over the world, he takes these pressures more easily. This is how the Cordoban David Nalbandian feels, a few days before the tie against the Czech Republic that starts next Friday

- How you see match against the Czechs?
- We have a good Team and in theory we should not have great problems. But the Davis Cup is the Davis Cup -it's very special and there are always possibilities that things can become complicated. But, I honestly don't see why Argentina shouldn't get through to the second round.

- How will the Team be affected by the loss of Gastón Gaudio?
- I don't believe the Team will be too affected. Of course he is a player who has been playing very well recently - on clay he is one of the best -, but we have great strength in depth in our Team to replace him.

- Do you see Agustín Calleri (from Rio Cuarto) as a candidate to replace him? What do you think?
-"El Gordo" showed us in Malaga (beating Juan Carlos Ferreo there in 2003) that he is up to the challenge. Although so far he has always been called up when we were the visiting Team and playing at home is another thing, I know that welll

- Also it's going to be a great chance for the Argentine public as it's 2 years since the last home match against Russia in April 2003. How do you imagine that moment?
- It is important for the people to see us and support us - it makes them happy.

- Do you not think that the publuc are unhappy with you (and Coria) because you chose not to play the ATP tournament in Buenos Aires but went to Europe instead?
- No, they were professional decisions for each of us. I don't make professional decisions for others so I don't see why they should object. In addition I don't believe it has any bearing on this tie.

The Czechs will bring Jiri Novak (number 27º), Thomas Berdych (45º), Jan Hernych (73º) and Thomas Zib (80º), but they won't bring Radek Stepanek (26º), which is a big loss for the Czechs, just as Gaudio's loss is hard for Argentina. Their best player is Jiri Novak, he was number in the world in 2002, but seems to be going down at the moment.

If Nalbandian and Coria play singles, who would be the rival for the Cordoban next Friday? On the one hand Thomas Berdych is a very complete player but he lacks experience (he is only 19 years old). But in the Olympic Games last year he beat the Swiss Roger Federer.

- What class of players are Novak and Berdych?
- Although they are hard players, whom we must respect and not take lightly, Argentina has great players, and we will be at home, in front of our own fans and on clay. We have many more chances than they do.

- Is Novak your main rival?
- I lost to him in the Basel final last year, but it was indoors where he plays better. Here it will be harder for him. And we don't forget the other players that they have either. In order to beat Argentina they must play all five matches very well, and that is very difficult.

- If you get to the quarters your likely rival would be Australia, and as visitors.
- That is a complicated tie, we would play in Australia and almost certainly on grass. It will be a very difficult tie. But for now we just have to think of the first tie. It's necessary to win this first because the other tie is not til July, so we have time to think and to see the best Team for the occasion.

- Is Argentina the "dream team"?
- Only by our names and our ranking. Last year we had a great Team and we lost against Bielorrusia as visitors. Playing as visitors we need just a little bit more but we have a great Team.

- What do the Team lack?
- We had a little bad luck in some series. Against Russia in 2002 (semifinal), Gaudio played an incredible match Kafelnikov and we only lost 2-3. Then in 2003, neither Guillermo (Coria) nor myself went to Malaga but we had chances there in Spain. Being at home always makes a big difference and I firmly believe that Argentina is close to the top, we just perhaps lack a little luck in the draws

novanora
02-26-2005, 03:57 PM
Thanks so much for the translation, Rosie :hug: i just know David got fever and stomach problem!! :scared: now with Gaston's withdrawl, he has to play single. It's good to play home and on clay, so he won't have much pressure.
I checked Zib and Hernych's doubles achievement, nothing special, Tabara can play better doubles than both of them, i don't know why Czech's final list excluded him. Now the good thing is Argentina can high probably win the doubles' match, and i can't see any reason Coria will lose the two single matches. So it will be more relaxed for David, he doesn't need to force himself too much then :)

*Ljubica*
02-26-2005, 05:18 PM
Agustin Calleri will be Gaston's replacement next week for the DC. I am really pleased for him - congrats Agustin :hug:

*Ljubica*
02-26-2005, 06:07 PM
Wasn't sure if anyone would be interested in reading this short article about Agustin's inclusion in the Team, but as this is the Davis Cup Thread I thought it mght add some background.

http://www.lanacion.com.ar/deportiva/nota.asp?nota_id=683053

El tenista cordobés Agustín Calleri a reemplazará a Gastón Gaudio en el equipo argentino que se enfrentará a República Checa el próximo fin de semana en el Buenos Aires Lawn Tennis Club.

"Tomé la decisión, hablé con los que no les tocó estar y después lo llamé a Agustín para convocarlo, y estaba muy contento y con ganas de sumarse al equipo", dijo el capitán del conjunto nacional, Alberto Mancini, en conferencia de prensa.

Hasta antes de la deserción del Gato, Mancini tenía el equipo definido para la serie por la rueda inicial del Grupo Mundial a jugarse entre el 4 y 6 de marzo próximos en Buenos Aires, con Gaudio y Guillermo Coria como singlistas, más el dobles conformado por David Nalbandian y Guillermo Cañas.

Pero la lesión del campeón de Roland Garros, desgarrado en la zona abdominal izquierda y con 21 días por delante de inactividad, alteró los planes del capitán, quien ahora designó a un jugador con buenos antecedentes en la Davis, buen presente en el circuito de la ATP.

Calleri, quien tiene un record de cinco triunfos y dos derrotas en singles, más cuatro éxitos y una caída en dobles en su foja de la Davis, fue además semifinalista en Acapulco, torneo donde ganó su único título ATP, además de haber jugado cuatro finales, siempre en polvo de ladrillo.

Calleri ganó Acapulco en 2003, jugó las finales de Buenos Aires 2003, Estoril y Hamburgo 2003 y Costa Do Sauípe 2004, y en la Davis debutó en julio de 2000, en la derrota como visitante ante Canadá por 4-1.

Su experiencia ´copera´ sumada a su excelente relación con los demás designados son los elementos que Mancini considera para elegirlo por sobre Chela, de muy mal comienzo de temporada, y Puerta, quien volvió a los primeros planos luego de cuatro años y medio con su acceso a la final del ATP de Buenos Aires y a la semifinal de Acapulco.

TRANSLATION

The Cordoban tennis player Agustín Calleri will replace Gastón Gaudio in the Argentine Team to face the Czech Republic next weekend at the Buenos Aires Lawn Tennis Club.

"I made the decision, I spoke to the ones who were not chosen, and later I called Agustín to invite him, and he was very happy and full of desire to join the Team", Captain Alberto Mancini said in a Press Conference.

Until Gaudio's withdrawal, Mancini had the Team sorted out for the 1st round tie starting on 4th March, with Gaudio and Guillermo Coria playing singles, and David Nalbandian and Guillermo Canas forming the doubles partnership. But the injury to the Roland Garros champion (a torn muscle in the intercostal zone that will put him out of action for at least 21 days) meant his plans had to be altered. He needed a player with good Davis Cup "history" and good current form on the ATP Tour.

Calleri has a winning record of five triumphs against two defeats in Davis Cup singles, and in doubles he has won 4 ties and lost only one. In addition to his previous Davis Cup success, he has also just reached the semifinal in Acapulco, (the tournament where he won his only ATP) and which is playd on the same clay surface as the Davis Cup tie.

Calleri won Acapulco in 2003, when he also reached the finals of Buenos Aires, Estoril and Hamburg, and he was a finalist in Costa Do Sauípe in 2004. He made his Davis Cup debut in July 2000, when Argentina lost 1-4 as visitors in Canada. His Davis Cup experience, plus his excellent relations with all the other members of the present Team, were elements that Mancini considered when choosing Calleri over Chela, (who started this season very badly), and Mariano Puerta who has only very recently returned to top-class competion.

sigmagirl91
02-26-2005, 06:38 PM
I kinda knew that David wouldn't go back out on court that soon.

RogiFan88
02-26-2005, 09:55 PM
I hope ARG wins this R1, they will be DC winners soon! How can they not be w so many great players!

Watch out for Novak tho... he has won Gstaad several times [3?] and beaten Juanqui and Rogi to win it...

justClaudia
02-26-2005, 10:35 PM
what are you talking about claudia?? i think that la chicholina has more chances to play than puerta, c'mon....

What I was saying is that if Mancini had decided to call Mariano Puerta to replace Gaston that was well deserved....but now I just saw that Agustin is the one and he also deserves it,I'm happy for him...and even if Mancini called Chela that was also a good choice...that's it, got it now??

justClaudia
02-26-2005, 10:38 PM
Rosie ,you've been working hard with all the translations!!

Thanks so much ,great job - as usual!!

jazz_girl
02-26-2005, 10:48 PM
Thank you so much for all your translations Rosie!!!!

jazz_girl
02-26-2005, 10:51 PM
I don't know if it's confirmed, but Mancini's idea is to have David for the second singles match. So that would leave him out of the doubles.
And yesterday, Gastón went to the BALTC to talk to the team, and apparently Coria and him had a nice talk and Guillermo asked him to be there, even if he doesn't play and Gastón agreed. Nice gesture :yeah:

*Ljubica*
02-26-2005, 10:52 PM
Thank you so much for all your translations Rosie!!!!

Jazzita :hug: I was just going to bed and I saw your name come up on this thread!!! How are you? Hope you're OK. And come back soon - PLEASE! We all miss you -and the damned translations are driving me mad :cuckoo:

*Ljubica*
02-26-2005, 10:55 PM
I don't know if it's confirmed, but Mancini's idea is to have David for the second singles match. So that would leave him out of the doubles.
And yesterday, Gastón went to the BALTC to talk to the team, and apparently Coria and him had a nice talk and Guillermo asked him to be there, even if he doesn't play and Gastón agreed. Nice gesture :yeah:

Yes - they've got some of the photos of Gaston and Coria together over on Gaston's Forum. Evidently Gaston has said he wants to go to some of the practice sessions to give the Team support,- but he doesn't want to spend too long there in case his presence detracts form them and the "real" job they are doing. He's a sweetie :) And I'm really happy that Calleri has got a chance too :)

jazz_girl
02-26-2005, 10:56 PM
Well, I'm ok, although my brain is fried! LOL I've been studying non-stop, cause I have a huge test on monday, and I'm quite nervous about it. It's an oral exam, so that's even worse, and the worst part is that I don't like my professor AT ALL!!!
The good news is that on monday I'll have my computer again, although I don't think I'll be able to log in till tuesday, but it's ok :) I won't be home all day!

jazz_girl
02-26-2005, 10:58 PM
Yeah, I'm happy for Agustín too! I didn't think he was gonna be back in the DC so soon, especially with so many good players, but it's great to see him back ;)

*Ljubica*
02-26-2005, 10:59 PM
Well, I'm ok, although my brain is fried! LOL I've been studying non-stop, cause I have a huge test on monday, and I'm quite nervous about it. It's an oral exam, so that's even worse, and the worst part is that I don't like my professor AT ALL!!!
The good news is that on monday I'll have my computer again, although I don't think I'll be able to log in till tuesday, but it's ok :) I won't be home all day!

That's great news that you'll have the computer back! I'll be back at work on Monday (I've been off sick all week), - so I probably won't be here too much on Monday either - well not until the evening.

As for the test - you'll be fine I'm sure - don't worry too much and don't be nervous!!!!

jazz_girl
02-26-2005, 11:07 PM
Thanks a lot Rosie, although I can't help being nervous. I can't wait till friday or even tuesday :lol: !
I'm glad to know that you're feeling better!
Hugs!!! :hug:

*Ljubica*
02-26-2005, 11:08 PM
Thanks Jazz. Anyway - it was lovely to "catch" you here tonight - but my eyes are shutting now- it's getting late here now and my antibiotics still make me really tired :zzz: So I am off to bed - have fun and look forward to you being back here soon :hug:

jazz_girl
02-26-2005, 11:09 PM
Good night Rosie! Nice talking to you again!
Talk to you soon! :wavey:

bovenbuuf
02-27-2005, 09:43 AM
Rosie, thanks for all the translations, had a lot to catch up with!

And good to see Calleri is in the team, must be so good to be there and play in Argentina.

sophia_c
02-27-2005, 10:57 AM

Good luck with the exam Jazz.....

Björki
02-27-2005, 11:04 AM
good luck Jazz :)

*Ljubica*
02-27-2005, 11:43 AM
This is just a quick excerpt from an article in today's Clarins Ole - the only piece really pertinent to David.

http://www.ole.clarin.com/jsp/v3/pagina.jsp?pagId=929552

Si bien los entrenamientos de la semana serán decisivos (Nalbandian, Cañas y Calleri se sumarán mañana porque hoy no habrá actividad), la idea del capitán es que David juegue single y doble, con Willy. La recuperación física del unquillense será clave. "Es un poco prematuro para asegurarlo, pero es lo que tengo pensado por ahora". Entonces, Coria enfrentaría a Tomas, Zib o Berdych, y Nalbandian a Jiri Novak, ante quien perdió la final de Basilea. Hay que recordar, por las dudas, que Cañas y Calleri tienen frescos antecedentes favorables ante el mejor de los visitantes: el riocuartense le ganó el jueves en los octavos de Acapulco, y el de Tapiales lo barrió en la final de Shanghai 04.

TRANSLATION

Although what happens in next week's training sessions will be the decisive factor (Nalbandian, Cañas and Calleri will join the Team tomorrow - there is no training today), Mancini's idea is that David will play both singles, and also the doubles with Willy (Cañas). Therefore the physical recovery of the player from Unquillo will be a key factor. "It's a little premature to say definately, but that is what I have in mind so far" said Mancini. Then, Coria would face Tomas Zib or Tomas Berdych on the last day, and Nalbandian would play against Jiri Novak who beat him in the final of Basel last year. It is necessary for any doubters to remember that both Cañas and Calleri have good recent results against the Number 1 Czech player Jiri Novak. The player from Rio Cuarto (Calleri) beat him only last Thursday in the quarter finals of Acapulco, while the man from Tapiales (Cañas) beat him in Shanghai 2004.

bovenbuuf
02-27-2005, 11:43 AM
yeah good luck Jazz.. oral tests are always bad, but I am sure you can make it :)

novanora
02-27-2005, 01:18 PM
What I was saying is that if Mancini had decided to call Mariano Puerta to replace Gaston that was well deserved....but now I just saw that Agustin is the one and he also deserves it,I'm happy for him...and even if Mancini called Chela that was also a good choice...that's it, got it now??
Claudia, agree with u ;) even if Puerta can get the postition of DC, he deserves that with his good playing lately. And like most of you, happy to see Calleri can enter DC list again :D But as to Chela, we know his problem will affect he get the less chance to play DC. it's only Argentina has so many good clay players, any choice won't be a bad one though.

novanora
02-27-2005, 01:22 PM
hey, sweetie, nice to see u back!! :hug: though you are already off line yet :p Good luck to your exam, i know exams are always the nightmare for students :hug:

wait for you on Tuesday with your good exam result! :banana:

novanora
02-27-2005, 01:29 PM
TRANSLATION

Although what happens in next week's training sessions will be the decisive factor (Nalbandian, Cañas and Calleri will join the Team tomorrow - there is no training today), Mancini's idea is that David will play both singles, and also the doubles with Willy (Cañas). Therefore the physical recovery of the player from Unquillo will be a key factor. "It's a little premature to say definately, but that is what I have in mind so far" said Mancini. Then, Coria would face Tomas Zib or Tomas Berdych on the last day, and Nalbandian would play against Jiri Novak who beat him in the final of Basel last year. It is necessary for any doubters to remember that both Cañas and Calleri have good recent results against the Number 1 Czech player Jiri Novak. The player from Rio Cuarto (Calleri) beat him only last Thursday in the quarter finals of Acapulco, while the man from Tapiales (Cañas) beat him in Shanghai 2004.

Rosie, again, thanks for your translation for the DC news :) but personaly, i don't want him to play both single and doubles. Though Czech is not good at clay, that maybe too much for him, especially when we learned his health is not good lately. Anyway, just believe Mancini will do a reasonable decision for all his players.

sigmagirl91
02-27-2005, 01:50 PM
This is just a quick excerpt from an article in today's Clarins Ole - the only piece really pertinent to David.

http://www.ole.clarin.com/jsp/v3/pagina.jsp?pagId=929552

Si bien los entrenamientos de la semana serán decisivos (Nalbandian, Cañas y Calleri se sumarán mañana porque hoy no habrá actividad), la idea del capitán es que David juegue single y doble, con Willy. La recuperación física del unquillense será clave. "Es un poco prematuro para asegurarlo, pero es lo que tengo pensado por ahora". Entonces, Coria enfrentaría a Tomas, Zib o Berdych, y Nalbandian a Jiri Novak, ante quien perdió la final de Basilea. Hay que recordar, por las dudas, que Cañas y Calleri tienen frescos antecedentes favorables ante el mejor de los visitantes: el riocuartense le ganó el jueves en los octavos de Acapulco, y el de Tapiales lo barrió en la final de Shanghai 04.

TRANSLATION

Now, if Mancini goes with that idea, David's health will probably be compromised even further. Does he want that?

*Ljubica*
02-27-2005, 02:13 PM
Now, if Mancini goes with that idea, David's health will probably be compromised even further. Does he want that?

I personally agree with you Sigma - but sadly when it comes to Davis Cup -some people are almost obsessional. David is patriotic - he won't turn down whatever he is asked to do - and I don't actually think Mancini would care so much as long as Argentina won :devil: I'm pretty sure Eduardo won't be at all happy at this extra pressure being put on David so soon before the US hardcourt season - but he's not Team Captain so he will have very little say (if any) at the end of the day :sad: We always have a similar situation here in football - where there are always clashes between the England Football Manager calling up players for "international duty" and the individual Team Managers who pay their wages and don't want their players to be too much pressurised. Hopefully Calleri will be able to play doubles with Canas to help out though.

*Ljubica*
02-27-2005, 02:20 PM
Anyway - here another general interview:-

http://www.lavozdelinterior.net/2005/0227/deportes/nota308514_1.htm

La Davis, esa obsesión
Por Fabián Sacarelli
Pocas competencias en el mundo despiertan la adrenalina que moviliza la Copa Davis. En un deporte donde las carreras son individuales, la centenaria ensaladera conjuga tradición, la representación del país y el juego de equipo, para dar forma a un certamen en el que el público alienta –a veces decisivamente– a sus jugadores.

Para Argentina, la “ponchera” que Dwight Filley Davis –estudiante de Harvard y fanático del tenis– donó en 1900, se ha convertido en una obsesión. El gran momento de los tenistas criollos en el circuito, los tres top-10 en el ranking (Coria, Nalbandian y Gaudio) y los permanentes éxitos individuales, dan bases firmes para creer en que la Copa puede llegar a las vitrinas del deporte argentino.

Con esa expectativa, entre el próximo viernes y domingo, el equipo nacional enfrentará a República Checa en el Buenos Aires Lawn Tennis. Es la primera de cuatro series que el equipo nacional debe ganar para quedarse con la gloria en la edición 2005.

Calleri confirmado

Ayer, el capitán Alberto Mancini confirmó al riocuartense Agustín Calleri (59º en el ranking mundial) como el reemplazante del lesionado Gastón Gaudio. “Llamé a Agustín para convocarlo y estaba muy contento y con ganas de unirse al equipo. El lunes tendrá su primer entrenamiento”, informó Mancini.

El cordobés le ganó la pulseada a Juan Ignacio Chela (23º) y a otro cordobés, Mariano Puerta (74º). Mancini explicó que la elección del riocuartense fue “un poco por su trayectoria y experiencia en Copa Davis”, además de su presente deportivo.

Calleri tuvo su momento de gloria en 2003 cuando le ganó al español Juan Carlos Ferrero (entonces número uno del mundo), por 6/4, 7/5 y 6/1, en Málaga, por las semifinales. El match después quedó para España por 3-2 pero lo de Calleri fue inolvidable.

Todas las fichas

Mancini aceptó que el equipo nacional “es favorito en los papeles” pero advirtió que “no hay que perder cuidado”.

El favoritismo es evidente. Ser local es casi tan importante como el nivel de los jugadores. Los argentinos pondrán el lento polvo de ladrillo para neutralizar las chances visitantes, apelarán al aliento del público, pero además el equipo dispone de dos top-10 (Coria y Nalbandian) y otros dos jugadores como Agustín Calleri (59º) y Guillermo Cañas (12º) que serían titulares en cualquier lugar del mundo.

Enfrente estará República Checa, con Jiri Novak como principal jugador, que fue cinco del mundo en 2002 (actualmente está 27º) pero que ahora, a los 30 años, está en el ocaso de su carrera. Novak tiene saldo favorable ante Coria (2-1) y Nalbandian (1-0) en las estadísticas, aunque Mancini espera que reduzca su desempeño en las canchas lentas.

El otro singlista checo debería ser Berdych (45º) por ranking, pero su retraso en llegar a Buenos Aires y los últimos desempeños de Tomas Zib en la gira latinoamericana, le dan más chances de presentarse el viernes. Esa es la decisión que deberá tomar el capitán, Cyril Suk.

Para Novak, “no hay diferencia porque Gaudio no esté, porque tienen tantos jugadores buenos... Nalbandian, Cañas, Coria, Calleri... Son grandes jugadores entre los ‘top 50’, tienen dos ‘top-10’ y es su superficie favorita”.

El camino al sueño de levantar la Copa es largo. Argentina fue ubicada en el sorteo en la llave superior, y de vencer a República Checa, es casi un hecho que deberá enfrentar a Australia en Sydney y sobre césped (su rival en primera ronda es la débil Austria). “Todos son ganables –asegura el cordobés Nalbandian–, pero si Roger Federer tuviera un buen doble, Suiza se cansaría de ganar la Copa Davis”.

Ese sería quizá el rival a vencer. En setiembre, en semifinales, se mediría con España, Eslovaquia, Holanda o Suiza.

Primero Argentina debe superar a los checos. La historia dice que no hay que dar por descontado ningún rival. Muchos han ganado grandes batallas, con público en contra y marcadores adversos, logrando sorprendentes victorias. Justamente por eso la Copa Davis es la Copa Davis, una puerta a la gloria que para este grupo de exitosos tenistas argentinos, se ha convertido en una obsesión.

TRANSLATION

Davis Cup - an Obsession
By Fabian Sacarelli

Few competitions in the world stir up the adrenalin like the Davis Cup. In a sport where the competitions are mainly individual, the Davis Cup incorporates tradition, the honour of representating your country, team sprit, and a contest involving all the spectators - sometimes decisively for the players.

For Argentina, the "ponchera" that Dwight Filley Davis (a former Harvard student and tennis fanatic donated in 1900), has become an obsession. And with three top -10 ranked players (Coria, Nalbandian and Gaudio) who have all had great individual successes, it gives a firm base to think that the Davis Cup can one day arrive in the display cabinets of the Argentine sport. With that expectation, between next Friday and Sunday, the national team will face the Czech Republic at Buenos Aires Lawn Tennis Club. It is the first of four ties that the national team must win to win the glory in 2005.

Calleri Confirmed.
Yesterday, captain Alberto Mancini confirmed that the player from Rio Cuarto, Agustín Calleri (59º in the world-wide ranking) will replace the injured Gastón Gaudio. "I called Agustín to invite him and he was very happy and had great desire to become part of the Team. They will have their first training session together on Monday ", said Mancini. The Cordoban was chosen over Juan-Ignacio Chela (23º) and another Cordoban, Mariano Puerta (74º). Mancini explained that his choice of the player from Rio Cuarto was "a little because of his experience in former Davis Cup competitions", as well as his current good form. Calleri had his moment of glory in 2003 when he beat the Spaniard Juan- Carlos Ferrero (then number one of the world), 6/4, 7/5 and 6/1 in the semi finals in Malaga. The last match of that tie went to Spain and they won 3-2, but Calleri's match was unforgettable.

Mancini accepted that the national team "is the favourite on paper" but said that "we must be careful". The things in favour of Argentina are evident. To be local is almost as important in Davis Cup as the talent and high level of the players. The Argentines will put down slow clay to neutralise the visitors' chances, and they will have the public support. But in addition the team has two top-10 players (Coria and Nalbandian), and two others in Agustín Calleri (59º) and Guillermo Canas (12º) that would be successful in any place of the world. It faces the Czech Republic, with Jiri Novak their main player, who was Number 5 in the world in 2002 (at the moment he is 27º) but who is now 30 years old and in the declining years of his tennis success. Novak leads Coria (2-1) and Nalbandian (1-0) in the statistics, although Mancini hopes that his performance will be less successful on the slow courts. By rankings alone the other Czech singles player would have to be Thomas Berdych (45º), but their delay in arriving at Buenos Aires and the last performances from Thomas Zib on the Latin American tour, makes it look more likely that he will play on Friday. That is a decision for captain, Cyril Suk. According to Novak, "There is no difference because Gaudio is out, because they have so many good players to choose from...... Nalbandian, Canas, Coria, Calleri... they are all great players and they have two top-10 players there, and it will be on their favourite surface ".

The road to the dream of winning the Davis Cup is long. Argentina was seeded as a higher team in the draw, but if they beat the Czech Republic, it is almost a fact that will have to face Australia in Sydney and on grass (their rival in the first round is weak Austria). "All matches are winnable" - assures the Cordoban Nalbandian. Australia would be the hardest match. In September, in the semifinals, we would have equal chancs with Spain, Slovakia, Holland or Switzerland. But first Argentina must beat the Czechs. History says that it's not sensible to under-estimate your rivals. Many teams have won great battles with the public against them and in adverse situations, and gained surprising victories. Exactly for that reason the Davis Cup is the Davis Cup, a door to a glory that has become an obsession to a group of successful Argentine tennis players.

sigmagirl91
02-27-2005, 02:20 PM
I personally agree with you Sigma - but sadly when it comes to Davis Cup -some people are almost obsessional. David is patriotic - he won't turn down whatever he is asked to do - and I don't actually think Mancini would care so much as long as Argentina won :devil: I'm pretty sure Eduardo won't be at all happy at this extra pressure being put on David so soon before the US hardcourt season - but he's not Team Captain so he will have very little say (if any) at the end of the day :sad: We always have a similar situation here in football - where there are always clashes between the England Football Manager calling up players for "international duty" and the individual Team Managers who pay their wages and don't want their players to be too much pressurised. Hopefully Calleri will be able to play doubles with Canas to help out though.

I'd hate to see the final result if David is actually asked to pull double duty. No one-and that includes David-recovers from a stomach virus in one week-or even two. The after-effects of a stomach virus last longer than the actual symptoms in my personal experience.

*Ljubica*
02-27-2005, 02:36 PM
I'd hate to see the final result if David is actually asked to pull double duty. No one-and that includes David-recovers from a stomach virus in one week-or even two. The after-effects of a stomach virus last longer than the actual symptoms in my personal experience.

Yes I agree - but unfortunately the whole Davis Cup thing is something we've discussed here before - and you and I have a very different view of it to a lot of people - incuding our friends in Argentina. I admit DC means very little to me - if David said he would never play again, like Federer and Henman have done (and Sampras and Agassi before them) it wouldn't bother me one iota - in fact I would probably be happy because it would give him more time to prepare for what I consider more important. But everyone has different views on this and we'll never agree. For most of the Argentine people (including the players) DC is more important than I could ever begin to imagine- and David would do anything for his team and his country. So I just hope he doesn't suffer as a result like he did last year when a DC injury put him out of both Indian Wells and Miami.

bovenbuuf
02-27-2005, 04:04 PM
thanks for the translations, Rosie :hug: well lets hope David will be ok after the DC.

sigmagirl91
02-27-2005, 08:02 PM
Hi, boven. How are you?

sigmagirl91
02-27-2005, 08:02 PM
Yes I agree - but unfortunately the whole Davis Cup thing is something we've discussed here before - and you and I have a very different view of it to a lot of people - incuding our friends in Argentina. I admit DC means very little to me - if David said he would never play again, like Federer and Henman have done (and Sampras and Agassi before them) it wouldn't bother me one iota - in fact I would probably be happy because it would give him more time to prepare for what I consider more important. But everyone has different views on this and we'll never agree. For most of the Argentine people (including the players) DC is more important than I could ever begin to imagine- and David would do anything for his team and his country. So I just hope he doesn't suffer as a result like he did last year when a DC injury put him out of both Indian Wells and Miami.

Let's hope not.

bovenbuuf
02-28-2005, 08:04 AM
Hi Sigma, well I am ok. Making myself ready to go to school

Action Jackson
02-28-2005, 08:08 AM
Hi Jud, how is the Netherlands.

As for peoples DC attitudes don't start me on that, but all I will say is that Rosie I wholeheartedly disagree with you.

bovenbuuf
02-28-2005, 08:18 AM
HI GWH, well its ok. Its still snowing here, so well do think that is nice. And well further I have my last lesson at that school today and then I just have classes for uni and of course my final project.

*Ljubica*
02-28-2005, 11:29 AM
Hi Jud, how is the Netherlands.

As for peoples DC attitudes don't start me on that, but all I will say is that Rosie I wholeheartedly disagree with you.

I know you disagree GWH - but life would be boring if people agreed all the time wouldn't it - good thing about true friendship is that mature, sensible people can disagree and still be friends afterwards I hope :hug:

Action Jackson
02-28-2005, 11:35 AM
I wouldn't know Rosie I can forgive people for liking Wimbledon, so this won't be too hard.

There are certain reasons why I love Davis Cup and it's not because my home country is going to win it either.

*Ljubica*
02-28-2005, 11:45 AM
I wouldn't know Rosie I can forgive people for liking Wimbledon, so this won't be too hard.

There are certain reasons why I love Davis Cup and it's not because my home country is going to win it either.

Well David loves Wimbledon so I hope you can forgive him too :) I can't stand Wimbledon either as you know, but it always causes some amusement to him.

Action Jackson
02-28-2005, 11:48 AM
Yes, I am able to do that for sure.

I am not sure if David really should play the singles as well. I mean I don't think they'll use him on the 3rd day and as he is the # 2 player it's imperative that he beats Novak.

*Ljubica*
02-28-2005, 12:33 PM
Yes, I am able to do that for sure.

I am not sure if David really should play the singles as well. I mean I don't think they'll use him on the 3rd day and as he is the # 2 player it's imperative that he beats Novak.

I personally think he should play singles on the first day (and only if needed on the 3rd) and not doubles at all - Cañas and Calleri are more than capable of making a winning doubles' combination on Saturday. Don't want to think too much about the horrors of Novak after the Basel final - though he hasn't played so much lately which will be in David's favour.

*Ljubica*
02-28-2005, 12:56 PM
Quick article from today's Clarins.

http://www.clarin.com/diario/2005/02/28/deportes/d-02601.htm

TENIS: A CUATRO DIAS DEL MATCH DE LA COPA DAVIS FRENTE A REPUBLICA CHECA

Argentina entrena con equipo a pleno

Nalbandian, Cañas y Calleri se incorporan hoy a las prácticas en el Buenos Aires Lawn Tennis Club.

La semana del debut argentino en la Copa Davis 2005 empieza a ser desandada. La gente ya palpita el choque con República Checa —el cartelito de entradas agotadas se colgó hace diez días, todo un símbolo de la expectativa que hay— y jugadores y cuerpo técnico comienzan la fase final de la preparación.

Tras un día de descanso, el equipo argentino volverá a entrenarse hoy en el Buenos Aires, a partir de las 11 primero y luego a las 16. Y por primera vez estará completo, porque David Nalbandian ya se recuperó de una gastroenterocolitis que no le permitía practicar, y Agustín Calleri y Guillermo Cañas llegaron desde Acapulco. Ellos tres se suman a Guillermo Coria, el único que se entrenaba en Buenos Aires.

El capitán del equipo, Alberto Mancini, ya delineó que Coria y Nalbandian (cinco y nueve del mundo, respectivamente) jugarán el viernes en los dos primeros partidos y David, junto a Cañas, formará la dupla del sábado. Pero Luli sabe que en la semana que pasó Calleri derrotó en el polvo de ladrillo mexicano a Jiri Novak, número uno checo, y que el cordobés tiene experiencia en dobles en la Davis.

Las ilusiones en torno a este certamen este año son muchas y hay varios motivos como para creer y tener fe. Además de dos top ten como Coria y Nalbandian, Argentina cuenta con otro jugador entre los diez mejores del mundo: Gastón Gaudio, que no podrá estar presente por un desgarro abdominal de 15 milímetros, es la octava raqueta del planeta. Y Willy Cañas es la 12ª. Además, el equipo nacional cuenta con otros grandes tenistas como Calleri (59ø), Juan Ignacio Chela (23ø) o Mariano Zabaleta (52ø), entre tantos otros.

En cuanto a los checos, arribaron ayer y por la tarde estuvieron peloteando en la cancha Billoch Caride del BALTC. Junto a Novak, al equipo lo completan Thomas Berdych, Jan Hernych y Thomas Zib, quien puede ser el segundo singlista, ya que Berdych perdió la semifinal de dobles en Dubai (cemento), aún no llegó al país, cambiará de superficie y su preparación no será óptima.

TRANSLATION

TENNIS:

FOUR DAYS TO GO TIL THE DAVIS CUP TIE AGAINST THE CZECH REPUBLIC

Today the Argentine team will train all together for the first time at the Buenos Aires Lawn Tennis Club. The week of Argentina's debut in the Davis Cup 2005 has begun - all tickets for the match with the Czech Republic have already been sold. Now the players and their advisers begin the final phase of their preparation.

After a day of rest, the Argentine team will return to train today in Buenos Aires, the first session will be at 11.00am and the second at 4.00pm.And it will be complete for the first time, because David Nalbandian has now recovered from the gastroenteritis that did not allow him to practice, and Agustín Calleri and Guillermo Cañas ave arrived from Acapulco. The three are now added to Guillermo Coria, the only one who has so far trained in Buenos Aires. The captain of the team, Alberto Mancini, has already indicated that Coria and Nalbandian (numbers five and nine in the world, respectively) will both play Friday in the first singles matches, and then David, along with Cañas, will form the doubles team on Saturday. But Luli knows that in the past week, Calleri has defeated Jiri Novak, the Czech Number 1, on the clay of Acapulco, and the Cordoban also has experience of Davis Cup doubles.

The dreams around this year's contest are many and there are several reasons why we believe and have faith. In addition to having two top ten players like Coria and Nalbandian, Argentina has another player in the top ten - Gastón Gaudio, who could not play in this tie due to a 15 millimeter abdominal tear. He is currently number eight in the world. And Willy Cañas is Number 12ª. In addition, the national team have other great tennis players like Calleri (59ø), Juan Ignacio Chela (23ø) or Mariano Zabaleta (52ø), as well as many others. As far as the Czechs, they arrived yesterday and in the evening they were practising on the Billoch Caride court of the BALTC. Along with Novak, the team consists of Thomas Berdych, Jan Hernych and Thomas Zib, who will probably be the second singles player, since Berdych lost in the semifinal of the doubles in Dubai (on cement), and has not yet arrived in Argentina, so his adapting to the change of surface and his preparation will not be of the best.

bovenbuuf
02-28-2005, 01:13 PM
a quick article? This must have cost you some time! But really thanks Rosie!

sigmagirl91
02-28-2005, 01:14 PM
And everything begins. Good luck, team Arg.

Action Jackson
02-28-2005, 01:20 PM
Well it's about national pride and playing for a team and not just for yourself and those are good enough reasons to put everything into Davis Cup.

Whatever role he plays it'll be important and just hope David can do the job.

*Ljubica*
02-28-2005, 01:22 PM
There is another article in "La Nacion" - but I haven't bothered to translate it because it's very similar to the one above. Here is the link if you want to see it for yourselves.

http://www.lanacion.com.ar/deportiva/nota.asp?nota_id=683505&origen=relacionadas

Only extra bit of news in there was that the official dinner for the two Teams will be held at 8.30pm on Wednesday night (if anyone local wants to gatecrash :angel: ), and that there will be a big presentation ceremony at BALTC tomorrow at 1.00pm to a company called Bridgestone Tyres that sponsors DC in Argentina.

bovenbuuf
02-28-2005, 01:25 PM
thanks Rosie, but the link is missing.... but I will do the research myself ;)

bovenbuuf
02-28-2005, 01:26 PM
ok thanks- will go and read it then

sigmagirl91
02-28-2005, 01:31 PM
There is another article in "La Nacion" - but I haven't bothered to translate it because it's very similar to the one above. Here is the link if you want to see it for yourselves.

http://www.lanacion.com.ar/deportiva/nota.asp?nota_id=683505&origen=relacionadas

Only extra bit of news in there was that the official dinner for the two Teams will be held at 8.30pm on Wednesday night (if anyone local wants to gatecrash :angel: ), and that there will be a big presentation ceremony at BALTC tomorrow at 1.00pm to a company called Bridgestone Tyres that sponsors DC in Argentina.

OK. Sounds good, but you know me-I'm an angel, and gatecrashing is rude. :angel:

*Ljubica*
02-28-2005, 09:31 PM
Just a quick article from Clarins tonight confirming that the Team trained together for the first time today. I am including trhe photo of David that illustrated the article. The newspaper calls it " In training" but I'm not sure it is from today - too many people around! Think it's an old picture but thought I'd post it anyway!

http://www.clarin.com/diario/2005/02/28/um/m-930137.htm

COPA DAVIS
Argentina se entrena con equipo completo

Nalbandian, Coria, Cañas y Calleri trabajaron esta mañana todos juntos en el Buenos Aires Lawn Tennis Club, de cara a la serie del fin de semana ante República Checa.

La semana del debut argentino en la Copa Davis 2005 empieza a ser desandada. La gente ya palpita el choque con República Checa —el cartelito de entradas agotadas se colgó hace diez días, todo un símbolo de la expectativa que hay— y jugadores y cuerpo técnico comenzaron la fase final de la preparación. (Edición impresa)

El capitán del equipo argentino, Alberto Mancini, tuvo esta mañana por primera vez a sus cuatro jugadores entrenando. Es decir: Guillermo Coria, David Nalbandian, Guillermo Cañas y Agustín Calleri, el reemplazante del desgarrado Gastón Gaudio.

El ensayo comenzó a las 11 en el court central del Buenos Aires Lawn Tennis. En los últimos días Coria fue el único de los convocados que se entrenó a las órdenes de Mancini -ex coach del Mago-, ya que Nalbandian sufrió una gastroenterocolitis, y Cañas y Calleri estaban jugando el ATP de Acapulco, en México.

Desde el viernes, la Argentina estará enfrentando a la República Checa que tiene como jugador número uno a Jiri Novak, ex top-ten, quien a su llegada a Buenos Aires dejó bien en claro que la Argentina es el "amplio favorito para esta serie".

Así, Coria y Nalbandian volverán a estar juntos en el equipo tras aquel triunfo contra Marruecos en Agadir, en febrero del año pasado cuando Argentina ganó 5-0, triunfo que le sirvió para avanzar a los cuartos de final.

En tanto, como dupla, Nalbandian y Cañas están confirmados para jugar por primera vez juntos en esta competencia, aunque, si la Argentina ganara los dos singles del viernes, probablemente esa formación sufriría alguna variante con el ingreso de Calleri.

La jornada de entrenamientos tendrá un segundo turno a las cuatro de la tarde.

TRANSLATION

DAVIS CUP
Argentina train with their full ream for the first time.

David Nalbandian, Guillermo Coria, Cuillermo Cañas and Agustin Calleri worked this morning alogether at the Buenos Aires Lawn Tennis Club, preparing for the tie against the Czech Republic at the weekend. This week of Argentina's debut in the 2005 Davis Cuo has begun. All tickets are already sold and have been for the last 10 days as the Team now make their final preparations.

Team captain, Alberto Mancini, had his full team altogether this morning for the first time - they were Guillermo Coria, David Nalbandian, Guillermo Cañas and Agustín Calleri, who is the replacement for the injured Gastón Gaudio. The session began at 11.00am on Court Central of the Buenos Aires Lawn Tennis Club. In the last few days, Coria was the on;y one training - under the orders of Mancini his ex- coach - because Nalbandian was suffering from gastroenteritis, and both Cañas and Calleri were playing the ATP tournament in Acapulco.

From Friday, Argentina will be facing the Czech Republic whose number one player is Jiri Novak, ex- top-ten, who arrived in Buenos Aires at the week-end making it clear that Argentina were the "big favourite for this series".

Thus, Coria and Nalbandian will play together for the Team for the first time since the triumph against Morocco in Agadir, in February of last year when Argentina won 5-0, a triumph that took them to the quarterfinals. In as much, at the moment, Nalbandian and Cañas are confirmed to play doubles together for the first time together in this competition, although, if Argentina wins both singles matches on Friday, that formation would probably undergo some change with the entrance of Calleri
The training day will continue with a second session at 4.00pm this afternoon.

*Ljubica*
02-28-2005, 10:35 PM
Here is a link to an article in "La Nacion" about the first day's practice. I haven't bothered to translate it because it's bedtime here and it really doesn't say anything different from any of the others. However - there are a few good photos with it - posted below and also in the Photos thread. And looking at David's blue shirt - maybe the one I posted earlier WAS taken at practice and there were just a lot of people there :confused:

http://www.lanacion.com.ar/deportiva/Nota.asp?nota_id=683600

*Ljubica*
03-01-2005, 06:19 AM
OK guys - as you know I am back to "hell" today :sad: so my time for translating articles is very limited - don't want to be late on my first day back by doing it now - and probably won't have so much time when I get there.

Not surprisingly there is loads in the Press this morning - although most of it is oretty much the same as yesterday's translations. So I've copied a couple of links below if you want to look at the articles and try to translate them yourselves,and put the photos in the photo thread.

Two from Clarins:-

http://www.clarin.com/diario/2005/03/01/deportes/d-06001.htm

http://www.clarin.com/diario/2005/03/01/deportes/d-06002.htm

One from "La Nacion" -

http://www.lanacion.com.ar/deportiva/Nota.asp?nota_id=683758

In the morning yesterday, David practised with Coria. In the afternoon practice session he played doubles with Calleri against Gaston Etlis and Diego Moyano. There are two fresh practice sessions again today as well as a presentation ceremony to Bridgestone Tyres who are a big sponsor of the DC in Argentina.

Here are a couple of quotes from the articles:-

"¡Qué bueno es todo esto!", decía Nalbandian durante la foto. "Los chicos tienen que disfrutar", decía Cañas; "Siempre los chicos sueñan con un día así", repetía el recién llegado Calleri.

"This is so good", Nalbandian said during the photo session. "The kids must enjoy this", said Canas; "The kids always dream about days like this", repeated the just arrived Calleri.

"Los chicos llegaron en muy buenas condiciones. David ya está recuperado de su fuerte estado gripal y practicó en un gran nivel.

Said Mancini - "The boys arrived in very good condition. David is already recovered from his gastroenteritis and practiced at a great level."

Hope that helps you a bit. Talk to you all later.

bovenbuuf
03-01-2005, 09:22 AM
thanks Rosie, for the quotes! :hug:

*Ljubica*
03-01-2005, 10:13 AM
http://www.lavozdelinterior.net/2005/0301/deportes/nota308916_1.htm

Trabajan todos juntos
Agencia DyN
Con la presencia de unas 500 personas, la mayoría de ellos chicos, los top ten argentinos Guillermo Coria y David Nalbandian se entrenaron ayer en el court central del Buenos Aires Lawn Tennis Club, con miras a la serie de Copa Davis que comenzará el viernes en esa sede ante la República Checa.Por espacio de casi dos horas, Nalbandian y Coria practicaron tácticas de singles. El cordobés asistido por su coach, Eduardo Infantino y Coria por el propio capitán del conjunto albiceleste, Alberto Mancini, quien fuera entrenador del santafesino por más de un año.Se incorporaron también a los entrenamientos los dos tenistas que participaron del ATP de Acapulco: Guillermo Cañas (por la mañana hizo trabajo físico y por la tarde dobles con Nalbandian) y el cordobés Agustín Calleri, quien llegó desde Río Cuarto a media mañana y trabajó por la tarde.“Estoy contento con todo lo que significa jugar acá la Davis. Estos días previos son muy lindos y los estoy disfrutando mucho”, señaló Coria en una rueda de prensa previa al entrenamiento vespertino.Cuando se le preguntó al santafesino por los dichos del ex top-ten checo, Jiri Novak, quien señaló que “la República Checa tiene una oportunidad en cien de ganarle a la Argentina en Buenos Aires”, “el Mago”, quinto en el listado mundial, se mostró cauto.“El match no es fácil. Los checos estuvieron preparándose en el ATP de Acapulco, e inclusive alguno también fue a Brasil”, dijo Coria.Por su parte, Cañas, en relación a la serie, que tiene entradas agotadas, señaló que la “Argentina tiene equipo suficiente para jugar de local y de visitante sin resentir su rendimiento y en cualquier superficie. Este es un punto fundamental para ganar la Davis”, finalizó.

TRANSLATION

They all work together.

In front of 500 people, many of them young people, top ten Argentine players Guillermo Coria and David Nalbandian trained yesterday on Court Central of the Buenos Aires Lawn Tennis Club, in preparation for the Davis Cup tie against the Czech Republic which begins on Friday. For almost two hours, Nalbandian and Coria practiced singles. The Cordoban was with his coach, Eduardo Infantino and Coria was with the Captain of the Davis Cup Team, Alberto Mancini, who used to be his coach for more than a year..

Also there were the two players who had participated in the ATP tournament in Acapulco: Guillermo Canas (in the morning he did physical training and then played doubles with Nalbandian) and the Cordoban Agustín Calleri, who arrived from Rio Cuarto mid-morning and trained in the evening. "I am happy with the idea of playing Davis Cup here. These past few days have been great and I am really enjoying them ", said Coria in a press conference before the evening training session. When the player from Santa Fe was asked about the words of Czech player, Jiri Novak, who indicated that "the Czech Republic has an opportunity of only one in one hundred to beat Argentina in Buenos Aires", "the Magician", was cautious. "The match won’t be easy.” He said “ The Czechs were preparing themselves in the ATP in Acapulco, and some also went to Brazil ".. On the other hand, Canas, said that "Argentina has a team good enough to play at home or as visitors without suffering on any surface. This is the most important point about Davis Cup” he said.

bovenbuuf
03-01-2005, 10:58 AM
thanks Rosie, that you found some time to do this while you are at work! :hug:

*Ljubica*
03-01-2005, 11:24 AM
thanks Rosie, that you found some time to do this while you are at work! :hug:

You know me - anything is better than working :devil:

sigmagirl91
03-01-2005, 11:40 AM
You know me - anything is better than working :devil:

Of course, Rosie.

bovenbuuf
03-01-2005, 12:31 PM
You know me - anything is better than working :devil:true! Really hope this day will be over for you soon.

novanora
03-01-2005, 01:45 PM
Not surprisingly there is loads in the Press this morning - although most of it is oretty much the same as yesterday's translations.
Local press put much importance on this event, just proves how much attention got from people there and see it will be a great home tie with so many fans. :)

Said Mancini - "The boys arrived in very good condition. David is already recovered from his gastroenteritis and practiced at a great level."

*phew.......that's what i exactly want to hear ;) really a good news, isn't it? and i hope it's true this time ;)

ok, Rosie. Those articles spend me total near half hour to finish all of them you posted these days. So i can't imagine how much time you need to translate all these!! :eek: :worship: thanks for all you did, as usual~ but mind you, i really hope this translation job can bring you a tiny little pleasure from your daily work, what actually is the real boring :lol: :p

novanora
03-01-2005, 01:50 PM
i checked my tv schedule, they will broadcast DC matches France vs Sweden here, but still not sure if Argentina and Czech's matches will be shown or not. I really want to watch David/Willy doubles coz i never watched this pair before, must be funny!! :lol:

sigmagirl91
03-01-2005, 02:24 PM
As usual, it's USA vs. Croatia. Anything else will have to come from the Tennis Channel, which I don't have access to.

alexito
03-01-2005, 04:38 PM
I hope, directv , I want see agassi play in davis cup

sigmagirl91
03-01-2005, 04:41 PM
I hope, directv , I want see agassi play in davis cup

OK...good luck.

*Ljubica*
03-01-2005, 05:29 PM
i checked my tv schedule, they will broadcast DC matches France vs Sweden here, but still not sure if Argentina and Czech's matches will be shown or not. I really want to watch David/Willy doubles coz i never watched this pair before, must be funny!! :lol:

We get France v Sweden on TV here too. It will be a great tie and normally I would enjoy to watch it - but I would MUCH rather see Argentina :)

bovenbuuf
03-01-2005, 05:37 PM
yeah me too Rosie, here we probably get to see a little bit of the DC, its not important enough.... this weekend its the last weekend of speedskating so we have all week World Championships from Erfurt( germany) and it will be cold, its probably the same weather we have here.... and its outdoor :eek:

*Ljubica*
03-01-2005, 09:47 PM
http://www.clarin.com/diario/2005/03/01/um/m-930887.htm

Por su parte, Nalbandian, quien aseguru estar totalmente recuperado de la gastroenterocolitis que no le permitiu entrenar la semana anterior, ses.alu que "la cancha y las pelotas estb.n bien, Me siento realmente muy cu.modo, a pesar de que hace ocho meses que no juego sobre polvo de ladrillo".

For his part, Nalbandian, who assures us he is totally recovered from the gastroenteritis that stopped him training last week, indicated that "the court and the balls feel good. I feel really very comfortable, although I haven't played on clay for eight months".

sigmagirl91
03-01-2005, 10:16 PM
http://www.clarin.com/diario/2005/03/01/um/m-930887.htm

Por su parte, Nalbandian, quien aseguru estar totalmente recuperado de la gastroenterocolitis que no le permitiu entrenar la semana anterior, ses.alu que "la cancha y las pelotas estb.n bien, Me siento realmente muy cu.modo, a pesar de que hace ocho meses que no juego sobre polvo de ladrillo".

For his part, Nalbandian, who assures us he is totally recovered from the gastroenteritis that stopped him training last week, indicated that "the court and the balls feel good. I feel really very comfortable, although I haven't played on clay for eight months".

That's good to hear.

justClaudia
03-01-2005, 11:04 PM
Rosie your translations and quotes..thank so much! :hug:
You probably should work in something like that..you're really good at it!!

sigmagirl91
03-01-2005, 11:37 PM
She doesn't want to do that. She doesn't feel like she could. Whatever. If you can read the language reasonably well, then you can translate. Just my take on it anyway. Like I said before, I need some Spanish or French lessons. I'll see if I can take them during the summer break or buy a DVD.

*Ljubica*
03-02-2005, 06:09 AM
She doesn't want to do that. She doesn't feel like she could. Whatever. If you can read the language reasonably well, then you can translate. Just my take on it anyway. Like I said before, I need some Spanish or French lessons. I'll see if I can take them during the summer break or buy a DVD.

Or alternatively, you could just find a willing, sexy, handsome French or Spanish (or Argentine!) man to help teach you :angel: More fun than a DVD!! Thanks for your nice words anyway

Anyway - there's a nice interview with David in Clarins this morning. I'm off to work now and have to spend at least 2 hours this morning in a meeting :devil: so I've just posted the link and the photo and I'm sure Jazz will translate it later.

http://www.clarin.com/diario/2005/03/02/deportes/d-05501.htm

He sounds happy, fit and positive though :)

sigmagirl91
03-02-2005, 12:06 PM
Thanks, Rosie.

jazz_girl
03-03-2005, 02:00 PM
The draw will be made any minute now! :)

sigmagirl91
03-03-2005, 02:02 PM
Can't wait.

jazz_girl
03-03-2005, 02:16 PM
I'm watching the draw live!!!

jazz_girl
03-03-2005, 02:17 PM
The Czech representat took the name, and it was Novak, so the first match will be
Nalbandian vs Novak
Coria vs Berdych

jazz_girl
03-03-2005, 02:19 PM
Coria and David are talking to each other a LOT

*Ljubica*
03-03-2005, 02:21 PM
:eek: First match - that's always the most stressful. Give him a big cheer for us Jazz :)

jazz_girl
03-03-2005, 02:21 PM
They're taking pics of Novak and David now
and Coria Berdych now. Coria looks soooo tiny next to him! LMAO!

jazz_girl
03-03-2005, 02:22 PM
Now they're taking the pics with doubles and David laughing a lot!
Now they're interviewing David

jazz_girl
03-03-2005, 02:24 PM
He says that both Coria and him wanted to play they first match, but he's happy, so he can give the first point and Coria can be more relaxed in his debut.
But he rushed out cause now he has to take more pics LOL

jazz_girl
03-03-2005, 02:27 PM
David is laughing a lot in the interview, and is doubting about the Czech team, that maybe Novak will step in.
That he's happy to be back playing in Buenos Aires for the DC and that he's a bit nervous now, but once he's in the court he doesn't care about how long it will take, but he wants to win.
He's gonna move Novak all over the court and if he has to lose, at least he'll leave Novak too tired. Now he's back to the press conference, he was smiling all the time and laughing. Now Coria is being interviewd.

jazz_girl
03-03-2005, 02:31 PM
Coria is asking the people to make a lot of noise tomorrow :lol:

novanora
03-03-2005, 02:37 PM
Jazz, hi~~ long time to see u again~~ :wavey: i am "watching" your live draw report now!~~seems more like a party, not a draw making :aparty: :p

:eek: First match - that's always the most stressful. Give him a big cheer for us Jazz :)

yeah, will be much stress on him, but also a great honor for him to play the first single match, the most important one. :) see Mancini put much importance on him.

jazz_girl
03-03-2005, 02:37 PM
Here are the caps I made:

novanora
03-03-2005, 02:41 PM
David looks a bit serious beside a smiling Jiri

Cheers for Jazz's DC draw live report~~ :aparty:

jazz_girl
03-03-2005, 02:45 PM
But David never smiles when he's taking a pic, trust me. It was the only time he was serious, he's been smiling the whole morning.

jazz_girl
03-03-2005, 02:49 PM
David's quote after the match:
"I wanted to start, but actually it was the same. The most difficult thing of being second is the waiting, the nerves, so if I can give the first point to Guillermo, the better. In the doubles, I think Jiri Novak will be playing, because he's a great tennis player, but they know that playing against us here is difficult so they're gonna wait to see how he is"
“Quería empezar, pero en realidad me daba lo mismo. Lo más difícil de salir en segundo turno es la espera, los nervios, así que si le puedo dar el primer punto a Guillermo, mejor. En el dobles, yo creo que Jiri Novak va a estar, porque es un gran tenista, pero saben que jugar contra nosotros en Argentina es difícil así que van a esperar a ver cómo está”.

jazz_girl
03-03-2005, 02:51 PM
Another one:
“Seguro va a ser duro porque es un gran jugador: por más que no sea un especialista en polvo, es un tenista peligroso. Voy a plantear un juego en el que se tenga que mover, porque no le gusta eso, y si pierdo trataré de dejarlo lo más cansado posible para el resto de la serie”
"It's gonna be tough for sure because he's a great player: even if he's not a clay specialist, he's a dangerous player. I'm gonna plan a game where he has to move, because he doesn't like that, and if I lose I'll try to make him the most tired I can for the rest of the series" :lol:

novanora
03-03-2005, 02:52 PM
David's quote after the match:
"I wanted to start, but actually it was the same. The most difficult thing of being second is the waiting, the nerves, so if I can give the first point to Guillermo, the better. In the doubles, I think Jiri Novak will be playing, because he's a great tennis player, but they know that playing against us here is difficult so they're gonna wait to see how he is"
“Quería empezar, pero en realidad me daba lo mismo. Lo más difícil de salir en segundo turno es la espera, los nervios, así que si le puedo dar el primer punto a Guillermo, mejor. En el dobles, yo creo que Jiri Novak va a estar, porque es un gran tenista, pero saben que jugar contra nosotros en Argentina es difícil así que van a esperar a ver cómo está”.
Jiri is a very good doubles player, but weaker on the clay. I guess he will play the double with Jan Hernych.

novanora
03-03-2005, 02:55 PM
Another one:
“Seguro va a ser duro porque es un gran jugador: por más que no sea un especialista en polvo, es un tenista peligroso. Voy a plantear un juego en el que se tenga que mover, porque no le gusta eso, y si pierdo trataré de dejarlo lo más cansado posible para el resto de la serie”
"It's gonna be tough for sure because he's a great player: even if he's not a clay specialist, he's a dangerous player. I'm gonna plan a game where he has to move, because he doesn't like that, and if I lose I'll try to make him the most tired I can for the rest of the series" :lol:
lol, poor Jiri :lol: pre-prepare some massage recover before Friday ;)

jazz_girl
03-03-2005, 02:58 PM
David was laughing while he was saying that, like a little kid when he's about to do a bad thing :lol:

novanora
03-03-2005, 03:04 PM
David was laughing while he was saying that, like a little kid when he's about to do a bad thing :lol:
naughtily evil, that's why Sigma and we like him so much :p

bovenbuuf
03-03-2005, 06:36 PM
well hope he can give the first point to argentina.

sigmagirl91
03-03-2005, 06:39 PM

I love him bad. :devil:

bovenbuuf
03-03-2005, 06:55 PM
tiff I think you love him in every way ...

sigmagirl91
03-03-2005, 06:59 PM
tiff I think you love him in every way ...

I do, I do.

jazz_girl
03-03-2005, 07:00 PM
Here's another pic:

alexito
03-03-2005, 08:15 PM
here, picture today

sigmagirl91
03-03-2005, 08:21 PM
Thanks, Alexito.

bovenbuuf
03-03-2005, 08:25 PM

jazz_girl
03-03-2005, 10:15 PM
Some more pics:

jazz_girl
03-03-2005, 10:28 PM
I was listening to another part of the press conference and David was laughing cause GUillermo wanted to play first and he couldn't do that, and they ended up laughing together cause Coria was kind of mad :lol:

sophia_c
03-03-2005, 10:31 PM
I was listening to another part of the press conference and David was laughing cause GUillermo wanted to play first and he couldn't do that, and they ended up laughing together cause Coria was kind of mad :lol:

Thanks Jazz....have a great time at the tennis.... :)

justClaudia
03-03-2005, 11:48 PM
Jazz ,thanks once more!!

First match..wow!!
Hope he is not too nervous...

Cheer a lot Jazz, and have a great time!!

jazz_girl
03-04-2005, 12:33 AM
Thanks Guys! :)

alexito
03-04-2005, 12:40 AM
nalbandian is happy for first match, less nerve for not waiting. he know start to play 11 am. coria doesn`t know the time when start to play.

sigmagirl91
03-04-2005, 01:12 AM
I guess we'll all be online following David.