Davis Cup 2005 [Archive] - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

Davis Cup 2005

Pages : 1 [2]

jazz_girl
03-04-2005, 12:14 AM
I can't wait!!!!!!!!! :bounce:
Vamos David!!!!
I can't believe I'll say this, but: Vamos Guillermo!!!!
C'mon guys, you can do it! :yeah:

Björki
03-04-2005, 05:48 AM
Jazz have a lot of fun. Vamos David :bounce:

Choupi
03-04-2005, 07:33 AM
Jazz, I think it's needless from me to tell you to have fun, you'll do it anyway.
But don't forget to accomplish your mission. That is cheering sooooo loud for all of us here! :p I don't even know why I tell you not to forget, I know you won't... ;)

*Ljubica*
03-04-2005, 09:19 AM
And I know I've said this to you before privately - but have a great, wonderful time Jazz - cheer loudly for David (and yes you can even cheer for Coria too!!! :devil: ) I want ALL the details when you get back and have the chance to tell us all about it. Be safe and have fun!

And Jazz - you know what I would like you to do if you get the chance ;)

jazz_girl
03-04-2005, 10:03 AM
Thank you so much guys!!!! I will come back without voice, that's for sure :)
And Rosie, don't worry about it ;)

Action Jackson
03-04-2005, 10:05 AM
You'll have a ball jazz.

I hope there will be plenty of chanting and it'll be like a football match.

Go the horns, the whistles and the singing.

jazz_girl
03-04-2005, 10:10 AM
I'm sure there will! Even Coria is asking the crowd to do it, but it's not necessary, all of us will do it either way.
This is so weird! I'll be cheering for Coria! LOL

*Ljubica*
03-04-2005, 10:21 AM
I'm sure there will! Even Coria is asking the crowd to do it, but it's not necessary, all of us will do it either way.
This is so weird! I'll be cheering for Coria! LOL

Just don't make a habit of it :devil:

jazz_girl
03-04-2005, 10:25 AM
LOL Don't worry :)

sigmagirl91
03-04-2005, 10:27 AM
Have fun, Jazz.

jazz_girl
03-04-2005, 10:15 PM
Quotes from today's match:
"Siempre pensé que iba a ganarle, sabía lo que debía hacer adentro de la cancha y confiaba mucho en mi tenis. Incluso después de perder el primer parcial, lo primero que se me vino a la cabeza es que iba a ganar el partido en cuatro sets, no pensaba otra cosa"
"I always thought I was gonna beat him, I knew what I had to do in court and I trusted a lot in my tennis. Even after losing the first set, the first thing that came to my mind was that I was gonna win the match in 4 sets, I wasn't thinking in anything else"
"Novak me sorprendió al principio, pero después pude controlar su juego sin problemas"
"Novak surprised me at first, but after I was able to contro his game with no problems"
"Terminé muy bien en lo físico, no estoy cansado. Si Mancini decide utilizarme en el dobles no tendrá problemas para jugar"
"I ended the match very well phisically, I'm not tired. If Mancini decides to use me in the doubles tomorrow I wouldn't have any problems to play"

Argentine girl
03-04-2005, 10:40 PM
I am very happy for David. Before the match I admit that I was a little worried about him because Novak can play on clay and David didn't play on clay for so long and just recover from the illness.
I hope the Argentina team will win 5-0. It is about time to kick the Aussie especially Hewitt in their home.

Vamos the Argentina DC team. Bring it on.

jazz_girl
03-05-2005, 12:50 AM
http://www.infobae.com/notas/nota.php?Idx=170304&IdxSeccion=100439
Coria an Nalbandian touched by the crowd's support

David Nalbandian, 10° in the world, the one that gave the first point to Argentina in the Davis Cup against Czech Republic, pointed that "the people answer when it was the right moment, because when I needed it they supported me with their cheers".

The unquillense said that his performance went growing as the match went by and that "in no moment" he felt he could lose the encounter. Even with the question about what he felt when he lost the first set, very quickly, Nalbandian, with a smile on his face said that he thought he was gonna win in four sets, just like it happened.

The victory result in 4 sets by Nalbandian against Jiri Novak was 4-6 6-2 6-3 6-4 in almost 3 hours. The Argentine said that he went to play "kind of in a hurry". "The first 3 or 4 games Novak played them very well. He was precise, fast", indicated.

Nalbandian confessed that he follow the exact tactic that Mancini and his trainer Infantino told him. And that "he(Novak) got tired as the games went on. I noticed it at the middle of the third set. And then I defently knew I was gonna win"

The, when he talked about the public's cheer, Nalbandian pointed that "they were quite nice for a Davis Cup. They took their time to start cheering. I think that when I gave some things from the court they started firing up", said the cordobes, who assured to be very well physically for tomorrow's match.

Action Jackson
03-05-2005, 12:52 AM
2-0 good stuff well done David and weasel.

Jazz, how is your voice?

sol
03-05-2005, 12:53 AM
Well done! :yeah: :clap2:

http://www.gotennis.com/Photos/2005-03-04T192923Z_01_BAS06D_RTRIDSP_2_SPORT-TENNIS.jpg

http://www.gotennis.com/Photos/2005-03-04T191504Z_01_BAS12D_RTRIDSP_2_SPORT-TENNIS.jpg

http://www.gotennis.com/Photos/2005-03-04T191432Z_01_BAS11D_RTRIDSP_2_SPORT-TENNIS.jpg

jazz_girl
03-05-2005, 02:05 AM
2-0 good stuff well done David and weasel.

Jazz, how is your voice?
My voice is well, I'm more worried about my red face and shoulders and the terrible headache I had.
I hope David can play tomorrow again and celebrate the third point! :)

Action Jackson
03-05-2005, 02:24 AM
My voice is well, I'm more worried about my red face and shoulders and the terrible headache I had.
I hope David can play tomorrow again and celebrate the third point! :)

You have seen him live again? Davis Cup has a very different atmosphere and that's good.

Was there plenty of noise? Well you need to drink more water then don't you. :p

I am not sure if he'll play then again they could always use Canas or Calleri in the singles.

jazz_girl
03-05-2005, 02:33 AM
There was some noise, a lot of chanting and cheers, but I guess David is right, it wasn't as noisy as it can be, and in the fourth set, he made a lot of gestures asking us to be louder :lol: But till that point a lot of people even applauded Novak's winners :lol:
The Coria's match was different, it was kind of dull and Guillermo knew that was gonna happen and the crowd kept asking him to do "magic". But he won and everyone was happy about it, except Berdych who was in a terrible mood.
I know it wasn't David's best match, but he made some very good points, always used his head and run every singles ball. Novak tried several drop shots, that looked impossible to reach and David turned them to winners, and it was very remarkable, especially for the temperature. In the last set, Novak started making double foults and very stupid UE, and I think that's all David's credit cause he was constantly returning everything and making Novak run, and he couldn't take it anymore. He tried to make every point shorter and shorter, and he ended up having a lot of UE. David even served for match (I was terrified about it) and he did it with a lot of confidence, which made me happy :)

Action Jackson
03-05-2005, 02:42 AM
Novak is not a rubbish player, but I had faith in David. For a guy who is on his worst surface he happens to be very competent on it and I am happy that the locals woke up a bit to give it some atmosphere.

Yes, David serving for matches is almost like waiting for the Gaston choke, you know one isn't far away, but all the better when it happens to go his way.

jazz_girl
03-05-2005, 02:59 AM
I know Novak is not a bad player at all, I think the crowd knew that too. Only the journalists seem to not know that and be surprised that he "took" a set off of David :rolleyes:
Anyway, I just read an interview with Berdych and he was mad with the crowd cause they made him lose focus and with Coria :rolleyes:

ATPTOUR
03-05-2005, 03:05 AM
I am waiting for more interviews on the DC site.

Yes, I know what journalists are like and some fans, my signature says it all really. Not on this one anyway as I have some updating to do on the ATP game.

Berdych, well it's welcome to the big time. He could have been playing in Brazil and it's up to him to handle the situation and the didn't. Well it can easily happen getting mad with Coria, but if he didn't do anything too much, then that's just an excuse for his poor performance.

jazz_girl
03-05-2005, 03:09 AM
I have to come in Coria's defence, he wasn't that bad at all. The crowd wasn't that bad at all, even the players asked them to be louder!!! And Novak said they were nice, so it was an excuse. Especially because Coria didn't play at his best at all, and all he did was to play smart with Berdych's many errors.

ATPTOUR
03-05-2005, 03:15 AM
I am not bagging weasel, as long as he behaved himself then there isn't a problem and he seemed to so, as I said it's an excuse to justify Berdych's defeat.

Novak and Hrbaty love Argentina and Coria does that to all his opponents that's how he plays.

sigmagirl91
03-05-2005, 01:58 PM
I know Novak is not a bad player at all, I think the crowd knew that too. Only the journalists seem to not know that and be surprised that he "took" a set off of David :rolleyes:
Anyway, I just read an interview with Berdych and he was mad with the crowd cause they made him lose focus and with Coria :rolleyes:

OK. :rolleyes:

jazz_girl
03-10-2005, 11:29 PM
English interview with Willy and David after their doubles match :)
http://www.daviscup.com/shared/medialibrary/audio/mp3/DC_4138_mp3.MP3

sigmagirl91
03-11-2005, 01:07 AM
Thank you, Jazz. I've been trying to find this on the DC website, and I haven't been able to thus far.

jazz_girl
03-11-2005, 09:30 AM
More DC links:
http://espndeportes.espn.go.com/broadband/players/video?skin=basic&id=306734&rate=300&format=wmp
http://espndeportes.espn.go.com/broadband/players/video?skin=basic&id=306503&rate=300&format=wmp
In the last one, you'll be able to see some of the locker rooms celebrations :)

bovenbuuf
03-11-2005, 09:59 AM
ok thanks Jazz! So how is now, can you still walk or was it terrible today?

jazz_girl
03-11-2005, 10:14 AM
Not really! I feel pretty good, I thought it was gonna be much worse :)

bovenbuuf
03-11-2005, 10:18 AM
Oh taht is even better! :)

sigmagirl91
03-11-2005, 10:34 AM
Jazz, I can't view the video.

sophia_c
03-11-2005, 10:40 AM
Thanks Jazz, I have listened to the interview and saved it...I think that explains the accent thing that we were talking about last night.....with Tiff and Rosie...the difference in David and Willy's accent....

sigmagirl91
03-11-2005, 10:45 AM
Thanks Jazz, I have listened to the interview and saved it...I think that explains the accent thing that we were talking about last night.....with Tiff and Rosie...the difference in David and Willy's accent....

The cadence of Willy's accent is faster than David's, in my opinion. Not that I make my living analyzing accents and stuff, but having a linguistics class a long time ago makes you aware of those things.

sophia_c
03-11-2005, 10:52 AM
More DC links:
http://espndeportes.espn.go.com/broadband/players/video?skin=basic&id=306734&rate=300&format=wmp
http://espndeportes.espn.go.com/broadband/players/video?skin=basic&id=306503&rate=300&format=wmp
In the last one, you'll be able to see some of the locker rooms celebrations :)

Gracias Jazz, es una television asombrosa.....lol....
! Perdon!....desafortunadamente, hablo lento espanol!!!!

*Elsie*
03-11-2005, 10:53 AM
The cadence of Willy's accent is faster than David's, in my opinion. Not that I make my living analyzing accents and stuff, but having a linguistics class a long time ago makes you aware of those things.
That is interesting. I like languages and accents and stuff. When I hear somebody speaking english I always try to figure out where he comes from (what country for a non native speaker or what part of England for an englishman). I am not too bad if I may say so.

sigmagirl91
03-11-2005, 10:54 AM
That is interesting. I like languages and accents and stuff. When I hear somebody speaking english I always try to figure out where he comes from (what country for a non native speaker or what part of England for an englishman). I am not too bad if I may say so.

Some, I can tell right off; others, I have to listen a little more.
And don't forget, there are people who are non-native speakers whose speak English with an American or English accent, so you must be careful.

Action Jackson
03-11-2005, 10:54 AM
Cañas is a city boy, whereas David is from Cordoba province, so that wouldn't surprise me as to why Willy speaks quicker.

sophia_c
03-11-2005, 10:58 AM
Well I was talking about the tone of David's accent.... it is quite melodic..well I think so....but how they both speak Spanish is so different to my Grandparents and Mother....

sigmagirl91
03-11-2005, 11:01 AM
I was too, but George does having an interesting point.
It's not unlike the US, where you have differences in tone with Andy Roddick's speech and, hell for the sake of variety, Robby Ginepri's. Robby speaks slower than Andy in the same way that David speaks slower than Willy-regionality (ok, is that a word?). Andy is from the Midwest, while Robby is from the South.

*Elsie*
03-11-2005, 11:04 AM
Some, I can tell right off; others, I have to listen a little more.
And don't forget, there are people who are non-native speakers whose speak English with an American or English accent, so you must be careful.
Do you think it is possible for a non-native speaker to speak without an accent? Me, after 7 years in France I still have one...

sigmagirl91
03-11-2005, 11:07 AM
Do you think it is possible for a non-native speaker to speak without an accent? Me, after 7 years in France I still have one...

Yes, it is. Many have lived, worked, or attended school for a number of years in English-speaking countries, and have had the opportunity to assimilate.

sophia_c
03-11-2005, 11:15 AM
Well I think David sounds great...Spanish or English....

sigmagirl91
03-11-2005, 11:17 AM
Well I think David sounds great...Spanish or English....

I agree, and listening to the tape made me aware of their differences-even in English.

*Elsie*
03-11-2005, 11:19 AM
Yes, it is. Many have lived, worked, or attended school for a number of years in English-speaking countries, and have had the opportunity to assimilate.
I didn't, I must be nil then. What's irritating me is that when I speak to people who don't know me, they answer with their hands and feet. As if the fact tat I have an accent means that I am deaf!

sigmagirl91
03-11-2005, 12:17 PM
I didn't, I must be nil then. What's irritating me is that when I speak to people who don't know me, they answer with their hands and feet. As if the fact tat I have an accent means that I am deaf!

That's ridiculous. :mad:

*Ljubica*
03-11-2005, 12:20 PM

Personally - no I don't think so Connie. My Mother came to England as a teenager and lived here until the day she died - but although her English was perfect in terms of grammar and use of words etc - she still definately had an accent. Funny thing is - sometimes other English people think I have an accent too, because I obviously learnt to speak from her before I went to school!!

sigmagirl91
03-11-2005, 12:26 PM
I still have traces of a Southern accent. When I was young, it was really bad. When I went to college, I lost most of it hanging out with city kids and through the college experience.

*Elsie*
03-11-2005, 12:27 PM
Personally - no I don't think so Connie. My Mother came to England as a teenager and lived here until the day she died - but although her English was perfect in terms of grammar and use of words etc - she still definately had an accent. Funny thing is - sometimes other English people think I have an accent too, because I obviously learnt to speak from her before I went to school!!
That's OK. Personnally, I like accents. I like the accent french people have when they speak english, but the accent of english people speaking french is even better. Remember the song 'Je suis un rockstar'?

sigmagirl91
03-11-2005, 12:29 PM
Oh, Connie, you would have looooved the Kentucky flavor my high school teacher imparted to the French language. Makes you think of maitre d's serving up possum or deer meat.

*Elsie*
03-11-2005, 12:30 PM
Oh yes, and whel Lance Armstrong speaks french, that's great too! :hearts:

*Ljubica*
03-11-2005, 12:31 PM
That's OK. Personnally, I like accents. I like the accent french people have when they speak english, but the accent of english people speaking french is even better. Remember the song 'Je suis un rockstar'?

:banana: :banana:

"Je suis un rockstar.......
Je avez un residence...
Je habite la........
in the South of France........."

.......or somerthing like that

sigmagirl91
03-11-2005, 12:35 PM
:banana: :banana:

"Je suis un rockstar.......
Je avez un residence...
Je habite la........
in the South of France........."

.......or somerthing like that

Oh, my goodness....bad French....baaaad French.

sigmagirl91
03-11-2005, 12:37 PM
Oh yes, and whel Lance Armstrong speaks french, that's great too! :hearts:

OK, that's interesting. Now, I'm going to find a foreign language course to take this summer. It's been over ten years since I had one, and I've never had to use any of it for a reason, so now's the time. Maybe in a year or two, I can become a fluent speaker.

sophia_c
03-11-2005, 12:40 PM
Well my Dad is French and has the most adorable english accent...

sigmagirl91
03-11-2005, 12:41 PM
Well my Dad is French and has the most adorable english accent...

:D

jazz_girl
03-11-2005, 12:43 PM
OK, that's interesting. Now, I'm going to find a foreign language course to take this summer. It's been over ten years since I had one, and I've never had to use any of it for a reason, so now's the time. Maybe in a year or two, I can become a fluent speaker.
What language are you interested in?

sigmagirl91
03-11-2005, 12:45 PM
What language are you interested in?

Hmmm.....Spanish or French. Preferably Spanish because it's easier and because there are so many Spanish speakers in this country.

bovenbuuf
03-11-2005, 12:45 PM
I still have traces of a Southern accent. When I was young, it was really bad. When I went to college, I lost most of it hanging out with city kids and through the college experience.
well I came from the north and there a lot of them speak another language, Frisian, so when I talk Dutch I do have also a Frisian accent in it..

bovenbuuf
03-11-2005, 12:48 PM
Hmmm.....Spanish or French. Preferably Spanish because it's easier and because there are so many Spanish speakers in this country.
well good luck then. Maybe you should try German, then you could do your classes togehter with Nova.

sigmagirl91
well I came from the north and there a lot of them speak another language, Frisian, so when I talk Dutch I do have also a Frisian accent in it..

Oh....interesting.

jazz_girl
That would be great, then you'll be able to practice in the Spanish forum :)
I'm thinking of taking French classes again. I like the language a lot, and I wanna speak it fluently. I still don't feel very confortable with it, like I do with English or Italian...

sigmagirl91
03-11-2005, 12:51 PM
That would be great, then you'll be able to practice in the Spanish forum :)
I'm thinking of taking French classes again. I like the language a lot, and I wanna speak it fluently. I still don't feel very confortable with it, like I do with English or Italian...

Sure...once I get the grammar down really good.
And once I'm comfortable with it, I can progress to Portuguese or Italian (ambitious, aren't I?).

jazz_girl
03-11-2005, 12:58 PM
:)
I tried to study Portuguese, I did it for 2 years, and I don't think I remember much! It's so similar to Spanish that I ended up inventing words: saying them in Spanish with a Portuguese accent :rolleyes: But I think I remember some grammar...It was a mistake to study French, Italian and Portuguese at the same time...

sigmagirl91
03-11-2005, 12:58 PM
:)
I tried to study Portuguese, I did it for 2 years, and I don't think I remember much! It's so similar to Spanish that I ended up inventing words: saying them in Spanish with a Portuguese accent :rolleyes: But I think I remember some grammar...It was a mistake to study French, Italian and Portuguese at the same time...

You studied three languages at one time? Not a good idea.

jazz_girl
03-11-2005, 01:01 PM
Well, actually I knew some Italian already, so they were two at once. But I had to do it, I didn't have a choice.

bovenbuuf
03-11-2005, 01:03 PM
Oh....interesting.
yup, but sometimes its not really usefull, make some mistakes in the Dutch grammer.

sophia_c
03-11-2005, 01:04 PM
Well, actually I knew some Italian already, so they were two at once. But I had to do it, I didn't have a choice.

Well don't you all speak more than two languages in Argentina? Spanish and English...and then a choice of so many others....

bovenbuuf
03-11-2005, 01:05 PM
yeah here we also had to learn other languages.. At highschool we got French German and English.. and then of course also the Dutch lessons and for me Frisian.

sophia_c
03-11-2005, 01:07 PM
Hey Jazz, could you check my Spanish from earlier in the thread..I think its p.19....I was talking about the links you put up for the Canas/Nalbandian interview....my Spanish is so bad...I am embarrassed by it...

jazz_girl
03-11-2005, 01:07 PM
Well don't you all speak more than two languages in Argentina? Spanish and English...and then a choice of so many others....
No, not everyone. Although it is necessary when you need to get a job. For example, my sister tried to study English, but she cannot understand a word. And the same thing happened with Italian.
I had English at highschool, but it wasn't that good at all. I went to an Institute to learn better that way.

sigmagirl91
03-11-2005, 01:08 PM

Ick...our school systems don't offer us that many choices. Spanish, French, and, from what I understand, they are just now integrating German and Latin.

jazz_girl
03-11-2005, 01:08 PM
Hey Jazz, could you check my Spanish from earlier in the thread..I think its p.19....I was talking about the links you put up for the Canas/Nalbandian interview....my Spanish is so bad...I am embarrassed by it...
Ok, I'll go check it.

jazz_girl
03-11-2005, 01:09 PM
Ick...our school systems don't offer us that many choices. Spanish, French, and, from what I understand, they are just now integrating German and Latin.
I forgot to mention English, so they were 4 languages :)

sigmagirl91
03-11-2005, 01:10 PM
No, not everyone. Although it is necessary when you need to get a job. For example, my sister tried to study English, but she cannot understand a word. And the same thing happened with Italian.
I had English at highschool, but it wasn't that good at all. I went to an Institute to learn better that way.

Bring your sister to me. She would be good practice for me to teach English to.

jazz_girl
03-11-2005, 01:13 PM
Gracias Jazz, es una television asombrosa.....lol....
! Perdon!....desafortunadamente, hablo lento espanol!!!!
Ok, I'll translate what you said:
Thank you Jazz, it is an amazing television. Sorry! Unfourtunatly, I speak slow Spanish. :)

jazz_girl
03-11-2005, 01:14 PM
Bring your sister to me. She would be good practice for me to teach English to.
She will be a HUGE challenge! Believe me!

sigmagirl91
See? Wasn't too bad.

bovenbuuf
so Tiff.. you don't are obliged to study a different language at highschool then?

sigmagirl91
She will be a HUGE challenge! Believe me!

The kids I teach now are a huge challenge-and they're native speakers.

sigmagirl91
so Tiff.. you don't are obliged to study a different language at highschool then?

Yes, for only two years.

bovenbuuf
03-11-2005, 01:15 PM
Oh thatt would be a great challenge I would say..

sophia_c
03-11-2005, 01:16 PM
Ok, I'll translate what you said:
Thank you Jazz, it is an amazing television. Sorry! Unfourtunatly, I speak slow Spanish. :)

Well thats was okay....just got the one bit wrong..."it was an amazing television" didn't mean to say that...rather "it was amazing television"...thank you so much for your help.... :)

bovenbuuf
03-11-2005, 01:16 PM
Yes, for only two years.
but just 1 other language?

jazz_girl
03-11-2005, 01:17 PM
The kids I teach now are a huge challenge-and they're native speakers.
Well, I tried to teach her English several times, she understands it at first, but the next day she forgets all about it! I can't do magic. She has to sit in the chair and read everything she learnt to memorize it, otherwise, she'll never understand anything...

sigmagirl91
03-11-2005, 01:18 PM
Well, I tried to teach her English several times, she understands it at first, but the next day she forgets all about it! I can't do magic. She has to sit in the chair and read everything she learnt to memorize it, otherwise, she'll never understand anything...

Poor thing. Maybe her memory is not that good. Some people have to have repetition in order to retain stuff. What year is your sister in school?

bovenbuuf
03-11-2005, 01:18 PM
must be hard somethings for her,Jazz

sigmagirl91
03-11-2005, 01:20 PM
but just 1 other language?

We had a choice between Spanish and French. Many other schools had more choices, but in ours, it was Spanish or French.

bovenbuuf
03-11-2005, 01:20 PM
Poor thing. Maybe her memory is not that good. Some people have to have repetition in order to retain stuff. What year is your sister in school?
yeah I had a friend who had that too, for weeks we learned for a test and then I got a 9 and he just a 4. At the day itself he couldn't remember a word...

bovenbuuf
03-11-2005, 01:21 PM
We had a choice between Spanish and French. Many other schools had more choices, but in ours, it was Spanish or French.
well I just liked to learn another language really. so I didn't mind. Liked it that we had so much choises.

sigmagirl91
03-11-2005, 01:23 PM
well I just liked to learn another language really. so I didn't mind. Liked it that we had so much choises.

I wish we had more choices too, but Spanish and French are closer to English than many other languages, so I guess that's why the admins at our school chose those them.

jazz_girl
03-11-2005, 01:24 PM
Fourth year, she should have graduated already. She repeated 1st year and now the 4th. She's very smart, but she's way too lazy!!!!So now, she'll go to another school and will try to do 2 years in one and see if she can finally graduate...

sigmagirl91
03-11-2005, 01:33 PM
Fourth year, she should have graduated already. She repeated 1st year and now the 4th. She's very smart, but she's way too lazy!!!!So now, she'll go to another school and will try to do 2 years in one and see if she can finally graduate...

That sounds like a couple of people I knew...very intelligent but lazy.

*Ljubica*
03-11-2005, 01:44 PM
Oh, my goodness....bad French....baaaad French.

That was the idea - it was a "comedy" song - a huge hit over here a good while back. We call that way of speaking "franglais" - kind of means a mixture of French and English with an appaling English accent :) Trouble is now I can't stop singing the damn song!!

*Elsie*
03-11-2005, 01:46 PM
That was the idea - it was a "comedy" song - a huge hit over here a good while back. We call that way of speaking "franglais" - kind of means a mixture of French and English with an appaling English accent :) Trouble is now I can't stop singing the damn song!!
It was sooooo funny. Keith Richard sang it if my memory is OK

*Ljubica*
03-11-2005, 01:53 PM
It was sooooo funny. Keith Richard sang it if my memory is OK

No - it was Bill Wyman - but still one of the Rolling Stones so I'll forgive you ;)

bovenbuuf
03-11-2005, 01:55 PM
I wish we had more choices too, but Spanish and French are closer to English than many other languages, so I guess that's why the admins at our school chose those them.
yes because German is close to Dutch we had to learn that too.. French I still don't know. And then of course we had also that some students could choose Greek and Latin..But I think its also now obliged to take an exam in English though..

*Elsie*
03-11-2005, 01:56 PM
No - it was Bill Wyman - but still one of the Rolling Stones so I'll forgive you ;)
Thanks ;)

bovenbuuf
03-11-2005, 01:57 PM
a couple of days ago I saw TOTP2 and that song was in it.. did thought it was bad...

sophia_c
03-11-2005, 01:57 PM
yes because German is close to Dutch we had to learn that too.. French I still don't know. And then of course we had also that some students could choose Greek and Latin..But I think its also now obliged to take an exam in English though..

Well you will be fine there...hey if you understood all the Citizenship literature I sent you....well you should be proud of yourself.... :)

sigmagirl91
03-11-2005, 02:00 PM

Now, if the admins had us learn Finnish or Hungarian, you will hear me screaming from here.....

bovenbuuf
03-11-2005, 02:01 PM
Well you will be fine there...hey if you understood all the Citizenship literature I sent you....well you should be proud of yourself.... :)
Yeah i did understand it, still think its a nice subject, CIT

*Ljubica*
03-11-2005, 02:02 PM
a couple of days ago I saw TOTP2 and that song was in it.. did thought it was bad...

That was the whole idea of it..................it was so bad it was good!!!! :devil:

bovenbuuf
03-11-2005, 02:02 PM
Now, if the admins had us learn Finnish or Hungarian, you will hear me screaming from here.....
that probably would have been very hard...

sigmagirl91
03-11-2005, 02:03 PM
Probably? Say it with me...it would definitely be really hard.....

bovenbuuf
03-11-2005, 02:03 PM
That was the whole idea of it..................it was so bad it was good!!!! :devil:
well then they've succeeded perfectly.

sigmagirl91
03-11-2005, 02:04 PM

Anything Weird Al does is really bad.

bovenbuuf
03-11-2005, 02:05 PM
Probably? Say it with me...it would definitely be really hard.....well guess you are right.. I never tried to learn the language.. so for me its hard to tell..

sophia_c
03-11-2005, 02:05 PM

I remember seeing him sing that song.....and it was soooo bad....but apparently Bill Wyman now prefers to hunt for buried treasures on his country estate to singing on the world's biggest stage.....

bovenbuuf
03-11-2005, 02:06 PM
Anything Weird Al does is really bad.
true

bovenbuuf
03-11-2005, 02:08 PM
well hope she can make it Jazz.

sophia_c
03-11-2005, 02:09 PM
well hope she can make it Jazz.

Yep dito Jazz...hope she does....

jazz_girl
03-11-2005, 02:34 PM
Thanks guys :)

sigmagirl91
03-11-2005, 02:40 PM
The invitation still stands, Jazz, if she needs anything.

jazz_girl
03-11-2005, 02:47 PM
Thanks, but she has given up on English some time ago, she's trying with Italian now.

sigmagirl91
03-11-2005, 03:25 PM
Thanks, but she has given up on English some time ago, she's trying with Italian now.

Ok....that's cool. To her credit, English is a hard language to learn. Even native speakers can't get it right.

bovenbuuf
03-11-2005, 04:26 PM
well Jazz hope she will be ok in Italian. ANd I am sure you will help her of course..

Gigan
03-11-2005, 10:17 PM
As you can see in the attached pic ->
David has to say something in the Davis Cup Final! :wavey:

bovenbuuf
03-12-2005, 08:02 AM
thansk for the pic..