Tournaments advice... [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Tournaments advice...

Carito_90
02-16-2005, 04:50 AM
Okay so... this is a long story so I'll try to make it as short as possible.
On my 15 birthday I have the choice of making this big party (typical here) or going on a trip abroad or so... I was gonna do the party but then another good idea came up to my mind. Go to a tennis tournament abroad of course, as here we only have the ATP of Buenos Aires and there are many players I wanna see that are never coming here. The thing is I don't know which tournament I should go to...
I want to go to the Nasdaq really bad but I can't arrange everything in a month plus get the Visa which I don't have (big problem)... so I think I will have to go for some other option but I don't know which...
I don't think I want to go to a GS because it's too big, let alone really expensive so I don't know... I would really appreciate some advice from you guys about which tournament is the most recomendable (take on count I want to see the top players, especially Roddick, Safin, Federer and most of the ones in my sig).

Thank you in advance :)

RickDaStick
02-16-2005, 04:52 AM
Cincinnati is a really nice tournament and all the players are usually there.

Action Jackson
02-16-2005, 04:53 AM
How far are you prepared to travel?

Well you know Roddick won't be playing in a European TMS clay event, or lasting that long to make the trip worthwhile.

How about the Canadian Open in Montreal, those 3 players you really want to see will more than likely be there barring injury.

TennisLurker
02-16-2005, 04:54 AM
yes, usually some players skip toronto/montreal but everybody is in Cinci.

And you like Andy, and he usually does well there.

If you go to Toronto you could meet BECCA!

Action Jackson
02-16-2005, 04:56 AM
The only reason I suggested Montreal was because those 3 will be there, but some of the other guys skip that event.

Carito_90
02-16-2005, 04:57 AM
I know, one of the reasons I don't want to go to a european TMS clay event is because Roddick either won't go or won't do well.

The Canadian open could be a nice option but... I also wanna go to a nice city. I know I'm demanding hehe but If its gonna cost me some money I have to make it worth it!

Action Jackson
02-16-2005, 05:00 AM
Montreal is a hell of a lot nicer than Cincinatti ever could be.

RickDaStick
02-16-2005, 05:01 AM
Montreal is a hell of a lot nicer than Cincinatti ever could be.

Very true.

Carito_90
02-16-2005, 05:02 AM
Ugh I have the Nasdaq stuck on my head. Damn Visa.

RickDaStick
02-16-2005, 05:04 AM
If money wasnt an issue, NYC and the US OPEN would be extremely nice.

Action Jackson
02-16-2005, 05:06 AM
I would go to the other 3 Slams before I ever went to the US Open again, but since Carito didn't want to go to a Slam and the criteria she has strict that i why I think Montreal would be a better option than Cincinatti.

Smankyou
02-16-2005, 05:06 AM
I know it differs between countries, but visas only take around 10 working days to process, don't they?

Carito_90
02-16-2005, 05:08 AM
Yes I know that but Grand Slams are too crowded and I get the feeling that if you don't have fairly good seats you can't see well.
And yeah... money is not that much of an issue but eventually is, yeah of course.

Action Jackson
02-16-2005, 05:10 AM
Yes I know that but Grand Slams are too crowded and I get the feeling that if you don't have fairly good seats you can't see well.
And yeah... money is not that much of an issue but eventually is, yeah of course.

Slams are great to see, but the problem is Carito is that you really want to see these big stars who aren't going to be on the outside courts where most of the best matches happen in the 1st week.

The US Open that would be true, because some of the seats can lead to AMS.

RickDaStick
02-16-2005, 05:10 AM
How about Madrid or Paris? Andy should do well at both and you other favorites should be there and both are nice cities.

Action Jackson
02-16-2005, 05:11 AM
How about Madrid or Paris? Andy should do well at both and you other favorites should be there and both are nice cities.

He doesn't play well in Europe outside the grass events?

Carito_90
02-16-2005, 05:12 AM
I know it differs between countries, but visas only take around 10 working days to process, don't they?

I have no idea, but I do know it is hard to get the visa here, but no clue about how many days it would take.
The thing is that the Nasdaq is too soon and untill my parents agree on going, arrange everything... I don't know if I'll end up being able to go. But I might insist a little more, because most of the best tournaments (or the ones I want to go) are played in the US so eventually he'll have to get the visa.

Leena
02-16-2005, 05:12 AM
He doesn't play well in Europe outside the grass events?
The only events Andy plays in Europe are on clay and grass.

And don't start.

Action Jackson
02-16-2005, 05:13 AM
The only events Andy plays in Europe are on clay and grass.

And don't start.

Indoor grass events on the ATP hmm.

Leena
02-16-2005, 05:15 AM
Indoor grass events on the ATP hmm.
He plays Paris indoor last year, and that was all.

His schedule will probably be much the same for the upcoming years, as well.

Action Jackson
02-16-2005, 05:15 AM
I have no idea, but I do know it is hard to get the visa here, but no clue about how many days it would take.
The thing is that the Nasdaq is too soon and untill my parents agree on going, arrange everything... I don't know if I'll end up being able to go. But I might insist a little more, because most of the best tournaments (or the ones I want to go) are played in the US so eventually he'll have to get the visa.

I am not sure what the visa agreement is between Argentina/Canada and Argentina/US.

How long would you be planning to go for? Those North American summer events would be your best option suited to the critieria you set out.

Carito_90
02-16-2005, 05:16 AM
Depends on how long the tournament is. Probably a week.

Action Jackson
02-16-2005, 05:17 AM
Depends on how long the tournament is. Probably a week.

You'd able to stay for the whole tournament then unless it's a Slam or the 10 day ones like Indian Wells.

Carito_90
02-16-2005, 05:24 AM
The thing would be to stay for the whole tournament.
But I also have school in the middle so... the days i'm skipping school are more of an issue than the extra money I would have to spend for the 3, 4 or 5 days extra I would have to stay.

Chloe le Bopper
02-16-2005, 05:25 AM
I know, one of the reasons I don't want to go to a european TMS clay event is because Roddick either won't go or won't do well.

The Canadian open could be a nice option but... I also wanna go to a nice city. I know I'm demanding hehe but If its gonna cost me some money I have to make it worth it!

Montreal is a beautiful city. Although, on behalf of Canada, I must say that I'm flattered you think we lack nice cities...

Chloe le Bopper
02-16-2005, 05:27 AM

The USO really isn't that bad during the early rounds. Mind you, I stick to the outer courts and don't buy tickets to Ashe. You just need to learn when is the best time to grab a seat and when not to leave, is all.

Carito_90
02-16-2005, 05:31 AM
Montreal is a beautiful city. Although, on behalf of Canada, I must say that I'm flattered you think we lack nice cities...

I knew I should have clarified what I said lol... When I said I wanted a nice city aswell I wasn't refering to the fact that Montreal wasn't a nice city, but to the fact that I also want a nice city go to see tennis. I don't know if Montreal is nice, I've never thought of going and I don't know much about it or how it is unfourtunately.
I didn't mean to offend Queen Rebecca ;)

And... I wanna see Andy. Andy = play in the Ashe.

Action Jackson
02-16-2005, 05:37 AM
Visually and as a city Montreak does have more going for it than Cincinatti.

Though if you want to see Roddick in the main area, you better book your tickets early, then again you won't know what matches you will get and when he plays if you book advance, then again if you only bought tickets for the main area, then the chances you see Roddick are multiplied.

Leena
02-16-2005, 05:39 AM
Be one of Andy's groupies.

I'm hoping I can sleep with him in Montreal.

Carito_90
02-16-2005, 05:39 AM
I don't even know which tournament I should go to and we're already talking about the tickets? :lol:
Thanks anyway, but I'm not even sure yet...

I could wait untill next year and go to the Nasdaq but... I'm a bit too much impacient for that :p

Carito_90
02-16-2005, 05:40 AM
:lol: Leena

Action Jackson
02-16-2005, 05:42 AM
I don't even know which tournament I should go to and we're already talking about the tickets? :lol:
Thanks anyway, but I'm not even sure yet...

I could wait untill next year and go to the Nasdaq but... I'm a bit too much impacient for that :p

Simple, the tickets won't be a problem in Montreal and since you really want to watch the stars then it could be an issue if you went to the USO for example.

Action Jackson
02-16-2005, 05:43 AM

I didn't know it was allowed for the groupie to be smarter than the person she is following.

Chloe le Bopper
02-16-2005, 05:47 AM

You are going to Montreal? I don't know if I am yet... depends on what sort of job I get. I will be bitter if I can't go, though ;)

Lee
02-16-2005, 08:16 AM
Of the 4 cities in North America that will host a TMS event this year, Montreal no doubt is the nicest of all. Have both the European and North American feel.

Eclectic Goddess
02-16-2005, 03:22 PM
I'd HAVE to suggest Cincinnati, because all the top players play there and it's very fan-friendly, reasonably priced, etc..., but it's true that as a city Cincinnati pales in comparison to Montreal or Paris or the like. Plus, the tournament is actually well North of the city, in Mason, Ohio. I've been going for several years and have only been to downtown Cincinnati twice.

Another suggestion is to always try to attend the first couple days of whatever tournament you pick, or better yet, the qualifiers. Much smaller crowds, but most of the players are already there and on the practice courts, so you get up close to people who you'd otherwise only view from the nosebleed seats.

Carolinita
02-16-2005, 04:16 PM
don't worry...If you haven't Visa I can sacrifice and go to Nasdaq for you ..what do you think?? ;)

Leena
02-16-2005, 04:20 PM
You are going to Montreal? I don't know if I am yet... depends on what sort of job I get. I will be bitter if I can't go, though ;)
I probably will now, since it's now questionable if my 10k career will ensue.

Eruwen
02-16-2005, 04:35 PM
Lucky you!!

Anyways... I've been to Madrid last year, and I really really enjoyed it! It's a great tournament, lots of big names too. The thing is... it's at the end of the season (october), so there's a risk of players withdrawing with injuries. But then again... that's the case with every tournament I think.

If you want more information or anything, just pm me ;)

Carito_90
02-17-2005, 04:26 AM
Thanks guys for your advice! :)
I was thinking of going to Montreal... but I realised it starts the 6th of August and that's the day my brother is coming from Spain to visit us here so I can't leave from then untill 3 weeks later...
Damn such bad luck :(