Sampras and Federer fans? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Sampras and Federer fans?

fedpras
02-16-2005, 02:46 AM
Many people (including Pete, himself) have made comparisons between Federer and Sampras. They have/had similar temperaments on court and the ability to “make the game look easy.” So I’m wondering if, because of this, there is there a big overlap between Sampras’ fans and Federer’s. (And more so than Roddick and Sampras who are from the same country but are very different in both temperaments and style?)

Auscon
02-16-2005, 02:50 AM
I like both of them, but enjoy watching Federer play more

Fee
02-16-2005, 03:02 AM
I like them both, almost equally. Federer still has a couple of years and slams to equal Pete's greatness in my eyes, but he has all the tools to do it.

Nimomunz
02-16-2005, 03:11 AM
I voted that i like both of themthere just a bit boooooooooring!!!!!! ;)

Smankyou
02-16-2005, 03:11 AM
Roger has the slight edge for me. But I enjoy watching both players.

jmgsdoubsprtnr
02-16-2005, 03:26 AM
i LOOOVE petey :worship:, not much of a fed fan though.

Golfnduck
02-16-2005, 03:29 AM
Sampras all the way :worship:

MissMoJo
02-16-2005, 03:33 AM
I liked Pete alright, it varied depending on who his opponent was....but my support and admiration of Rogi :hearts: :hearts: is unwavering

tennischick
02-16-2005, 03:37 AM
love Fed, couldn't bear the Android.

TennisLurker
02-16-2005, 03:42 AM
Like Fed, dislike Pete

Ultraman
02-16-2005, 03:56 AM
I like 'em both, for different reasons:

Sampras is a proven closer. All he cared about was winning slams and that's exactly what he did.

Federer has some of the most beautiful strokes and shot making capability. He is also, for me, a wonder to watch. He still has a way to go in terms of GS accomplishments.

Prizeidiot
02-16-2005, 05:26 AM
I don't mind Federer, I dislike Pete, mostly because of that crap he said about Pat Rafter

J. Corwin
02-16-2005, 05:57 AM
I don't really like either particularly. ;)

Federerhingis
02-16-2005, 05:59 AM
pour moi, le deux, simplement tennis classique, le ancien champion et le nuovo champion!!!!!!!!!!! c'es tres simple comme ca! :worship: :worship: :worship: However i agree like Feds more fluid game a tiny bit more!

Mimi
02-16-2005, 06:03 AM
Pour moi, sampras toujours parce que je sui une vieille et j'aime les personnes qui sont ages :devil:

faboozadoo15
02-16-2005, 06:03 AM
i like federer a lot more, but i grew up watching pete and almost always hoped he'd win.

robinhood
02-16-2005, 06:05 AM
Like both of them a lot. But Fed is just a nice person. You have to like him regardless of his game.

Puschkin
02-16-2005, 06:51 AM
Many people (including Pete, himself) have made comparisons between Federer and Sampras. They have/had similar temperaments on court and the ability to “make the game look easy"

I am not really sure about similar temperaments, but both PLAY(ED) tennis instead of fighting, running or shouting it. So yes, I like them both. But one is retired, the other still active, therefore, I prefer to watch Roger now compared to Pete on tape.

jtipson
02-16-2005, 07:06 AM
Love Roger, but didn't care at all for Pete.

Art&Soul
02-16-2005, 10:45 AM
Like Pete but only have eyes for ROGER, actually i like ROGI's style much more than Sampra's :) ;)

Marine
02-16-2005, 11:29 AM
Love Pete and like a lot Roger.

Fergie
02-16-2005, 11:37 AM
I love Roger and don't care Sampras ;)

Experimentee
02-16-2005, 12:05 PM
I like both. They are similar in many ways.

yanchr
02-16-2005, 12:09 PM
I like Rete but love Roger much more. He has a more beautiful game overall and seems more a human for me ;)

But Fed is just a nice person. You have to like him regardless of his game.
I will say, Rogi is just a great talent. You have to like his game regardless of his personality :)

Angle Queen
02-16-2005, 12:13 PM
Love Roger, but didn't care at all for Pete.I'll second that.

Art&Soul
02-16-2005, 12:29 PM
I like Rete but love Roger much more. He has a more beautiful game overall and seems more a human for me ;)

I will say, Rogi is just a great talent. You have to like his game regardless of his personality :)

Just sum up: great talent and great personality :yeah: so he must be loved ;) :p ;)

Lalitha
02-16-2005, 12:42 PM
Pete all the way.

Paterson
02-16-2005, 12:48 PM
Like Pete and dislike Federer.

wimbledonfan
02-16-2005, 12:57 PM
Pete was more of the classy guy imo . You would never see Pete complain about a line call , or throw his racket on the floor . He just let his tennis do the talking . Roger on the other hand is showing a bit of arrogance , doesn't seem as humbled as Pete did when he won his majors .... (Rogers fake tears at wimbledon lol .)

I have to admit that lately I haven't been much of a Roger fan for his arrogant comments after every match . If you pay attention to his post game interviews , you will hear him say one thing that will make you think about what he said . Like at the Australian Open after he beat Santoro , he made a comment about feeling sorry for him . I dont think Pete would ever make a comment like that after a game .

....... Pete has more class and more heart than Roger , and when their careers are over the media will bypass Rogers accomplishments and talk about another playing being the next Pete Sampras .

RogiFan88
02-16-2005, 01:18 PM
I'm a Fed fan but was never a Sampras fan altho I do recognize his greatness on the court.

palmstrike
02-16-2005, 01:36 PM
Pete was more of the classy guy imo . You would never see Pete complain about a line call , or throw his racket on the floor . He just let his tennis do the talking . Roger on the other hand is showing a bit of arrogance , doesn't seem as humbled as Pete did when he won his majors .... (Rogers fake tears at wimbledon lol .)

I have to admit that lately I haven't been much of a Roger fan for his arrogant comments after every match . If you pay attention to his post game interviews , you will hear him say one thing that will make you think about what he said . Like at the Australian Open after he beat Santoro , he made a comment about feeling sorry for him . I dont think Pete would ever make a comment like that after a game .

....... Pete has more class and more heart than Roger , and when their careers are over the media will bypass Rogers accomplishments and talk about another playing being the next Pete Sampras .

Exactly, and that's why I think Federer will never be as great a champion as Pete was. No matter how much he accomplishes.

I have respect for Federer's skills, but I don't particularly like him. Pete is someone you can really look up to. :worship:

intikab
02-16-2005, 01:56 PM
Pete was more of the classy guy imo . You would never see Pete complain about a line call , or throw his racket on the floor . He just let his tennis do the talking . Roger on the other hand is showing a bit of arrogance , doesn't seem as humbled as Pete did when he won his majors .... (Rogers fake tears at wimbledon lol .) .

Yes, Pete was classy but Roger is, too. He too does not complain about line calls - remember the wrong calls against Safin in 04 MC SF tie-break and in AO SF this year at 5-5, 15-30 on Safin's serve in the 5th set - he never protested although he had every right to. As far as being humbled, you got it completely wrong - his tears after beating Sampras in Wim '01, winning '03 and '04, and his comments about being amazed at his success - all indicate how humble he is. On the other hand, Pete was the one who behaved as if he was almost entitled to all the success he had.

Some of the comments from Roger may sound arrogant, but only because they are taken out of context. Remember he is the most media-accessible world no. 1 ever (there have been several articles about this) -he gives interviews in three different languages, and to media all across the world, it's not surprising that occassionally he is provoked and irritated by the media into being defensive. Have you never heard Sampras say he believes that when he plays his best, he fancies his chances against anybody. Without that kind of confidence and self-belief, you won't achieve the kind of success that Sampras did and Fed has & will.

Puschkin
02-16-2005, 02:01 PM
I totally agree;)

jtipson
02-16-2005, 02:07 PM
Roger on the other hand is showing a bit of arrogance , doesn't seem as humbled as Pete did when he won his majors .... (Rogers fake tears at wimbledon lol .)

Arrogance? Fake tears? You have to be joking - how could you possibly consider that he was pretending? He was so embarrassed about that afterwards, too. I would hate to suggest that Pete's show of emotion after losing Gullikson was fake.

If you think Federer is arrogant and Sampras isn't, then you must be reading very selectively indeed.

You might find it helpful to actually see and listen to Roger's interviews, rather than just read them. Don't forget English isn't his first language, and if he does come across in a more matter-of-fact way than native English speakers, it's at least partly due the German way of speaking. Of course he sometimes says outlandish things which make me laugh, but in general he doesn't come across as terribly arrogant to me.

Finally, to claim that Pete has more heart than Roger does...that really takes the biscuit. If it's not obvious to you how much heart the latter does have, you might want to watch his last match against Safin again.

I know everyone has their own tastes, but some Sampras fans always amaze me.

Art&Soul
02-16-2005, 02:27 PM
I totally agree the second time :D especially this one

"I know everyone has their own tastes, but some Sampras fans always amaze me." :devil:

wimbledonfan
02-16-2005, 02:33 PM
It is just my opinion , I don't think Pete was arrogant at all . This is why he is regarded as the best tennis player of all time . He showed class on and off the court . Roger throwing his racket on the court is not showing any class at all. His disrespect towards Andre Agassi is not showing class at all.

Are you people even paying attention to his post game comments . As far as I know Pete always showed respect to his opponents . Roger Federer on the other hand makes inconisistent comments that doesnt seem all the credible to me . If he is playing in Russia than he will tell the media that Safin is his toughest opponent . When he is at the US open , he will say that Andy is his toughest opponent . You get the feeling that everything that comes out of his mouth is jibberish .

As for the fake tears comment , I was obviously joking .

wimbledonfan
02-16-2005, 02:42 PM
Jtipson , I would really like to believe that he is not arrogant , but after he disrespected Andre at the assie open , I stopped being his fan .

jtipson
02-16-2005, 02:46 PM
It is just my opinion , I don't think Pete was arrogant at all . This is why he is regarded as the best tennis player of all time . He showed class on and off the court . Roger throwing his racket on the court is not showing any class at all. His disrespect towards Andre Agassi is not showing class at all.

I can't come up with immediate examples of Pete's arrogance because I don't carry around quotes of his in my head. But don't you think his attitude towards some of his fellow players who achieved number one status, such as Thomas Muster, Marcelo Rios and especially Patrick Rafter belies that type of arrogance.

There's no evidence that Roger disrespects Andre, on the contrary - he has said that he finds him one of the toughest opponents and their past results showed. Did you read his whole post-4th rnd AO interview, where he comments on the prospect of meeting Agassi? There is no way he is dissing Andre here. The press took that completely out of context.

Are you people even paying attention to his post game comments . As far as I know Pete always showed respect to his opponents . Roger Federer on the other hand makes inconisistent comments that doesnt seem all the credible to me . If he is playing in Russia than he will tell the media that Safin is his toughest opponent . When he is at the US open , he will say that Andy is his toughest opponent . You get the feeling that everything that comes out of his mouth is jibberish .

No, actually, I don't get the feeling that he speaks gibberish at all; but like all interviews you have to understand the context. See above for my comments on Pete showing respect to his opponents - sometimes he certainly didn't.

As for the fake tears comment , I was obviously joking .
Oh yes, now I see you had a little "lol" in that sentence. But it hardly came across as a joke considering the context.

jtipson
02-16-2005, 02:49 PM
Jtipson , I would really like to believe that he is not arrogant , but after he disrespected Andre at the assie open , I stopped being his fan .

He didn't disrespect him, for goodness sake, and I'm an Agassi fan!

The media asked Federer whether he needed to step it up in order to play Agassi. Now, *that* was disrespect. Who's the number one here? Who was defending champion? Who hadn't lost a match since August? So Roger reminded them that the question should have been put the other way around, and so it should have been. Fortunately he's a bit more diplomatic than I would have been in the same situation ;)

Here's the question/answer from the actual transcript:

Q. You possibly might have to play Agassi next. Assuming you do play Agassi, do you think your game at the moment, you're at a level to beat him, considering how well he played the other night?

ROGER FEDERER: I hope so. I mean, I don't know why you ask me a question like this. I think I've proven myself in the past, and I know my game's good enough, you know. Also on my day where I'm not playing perfect, I know I can beat him. He's not as good as he was when he was at the top of the ranking, otherwise he would be there. Fortunately, I'm there.
I think he has to raise his game, not me.

Arrogance? Nope. Just being straightforward, I think. (And of course, he was right as well.)

Puschkin
02-16-2005, 03:06 PM
. Without that kind of confidence and self-belief, you won't achieve the kind of success that Sampras did and Fed has & will.

The line between arrogance and confidence/self-belief is a thin one and obviously defined individually. So, I am not defending Roger against the accusation of being arrogant. As long as the words match the deeds, it suits him well ;) , but that is my personal view of matters. I like false modesty even less.

Secondly, I don't consider an occasional raquet throwing a crime ;)

Thirdly, the line calls: it was in fact one of the situations, when I admired Roger the most in this TMC 2004 tiebreak against Marat, when he had a wrong line call against him on matchpoint, he commented briefly and went on.

Just to avoid misunderstandings and not wanting to enter the comparison debate, I voted for " I like them both".

Adman
02-16-2005, 03:27 PM
I enjoy watching them both play but I enjoyed watching Sampras play more, with Federer on the tour and Sampras on the Delta Tour of Champions with Jim Courier and Goran Ivanisevic, it will be the clash of the Titans.

Seleshfan
02-16-2005, 03:53 PM
There always seems to be a clash of old champion's fans (Sampras) with the new champion's fans (Federer). This debate reminds me a lot of the Seles/Graf fan debates, when Seles dominated womens' tennis. The Grafites would say, "Steffi is the best!" To which the Selestials would say, "Then why is Monica number 1?" To which the Grafites would respond, "Cause Steffi's dad is having tax problems, duh" This type of banter went on and on. I have to admit when I was younger I fell into that debate. Now I realize that both of these women were great champions. The same holds true for Federer and Sampras, as both are great champions. I personally like them both. However, I do prefer to watch Federer more. I just think he's a bit more "flashy" or pretty to watch than Sampras was.

Lee
02-16-2005, 05:31 PM
I know everyone has their own tastes, but some Sampras fans always amaze me.

How?

If following this generalising way of yours, I have to say there are much more Federer fans here really, really amaze me.

jasmine(usa)
02-16-2005, 06:40 PM
I voted for both of them. Sampras was a great champion, but Fed is becoming great in his own right. I don't consider Fed as one of my favorites, but you must respect his game. He can play some beautiful tennis.

RonE
02-16-2005, 08:28 PM
My two absolute favourites of all time!

If there was a hypothetical situation where Sampras would come back to the tour and he and Roger would end up playing in a Wimbledon final I must say I would be seriously torn between them....

I became a huge Sampras fan when I first got into tennis some 10 odd years ago- it was his gigantic match against Courier that did it for me at the AO. He also had such great shotmaking abilities, made the game look really easy. And that serve was something to die for.

At the time I thought it can't get any better than Sampras with his strokes and movement and his complete all court play. But then Roger came along and raised the bar even higher- when I watch some of Pete's old matches now it is as if he played in slow motion in comparison to Roger. Then again, my memories of Pete's great matches take me back a long way so there is more nostalgia attached to them.

Actually after their only encounter at Wimbledon in 2001 I was so disappointed Sampras lost and his winning streak was gone. But then I watched the match again and realized what an incredible stroke-producer Roger was! I started to like Roger more and more but the thing that frustrated me the most was his mental falibilities- I kept thinking to myself if this kid would someday get his head together he could become the most dominant force in the game in the future.

When Roger finally started to get it together needless to say I was exaulted and in a way the timing was perfect- he really started coming into his own after Pete retired so he solved a little dilemma for me. Like I said had Pete still been playing I would have been torn between them when they played.

Action Jackson
02-16-2005, 08:46 PM
Definitely prefer Federer over Sampras that wasn't a hard choice.

I know what you mean jtip, not all but some Sampras fans all of a sudden feel threatened that his legacy is going to be cheapened in some way or something like that, when many people in the tennis world are saying that Federer can win the Slam, he is better on clay now than Pete and if this happens, then Sampras fans will bark back 7 Wimbledons and 6x in a row at % 1. The first one is far more impressive than the 2nd one.

Sampras tried being humble, he wasn't humble it was fake. I mean humble guys don't make comments like he said against Rafter and Muster more than once. He was a great tennis player and that is where it ends for me.

WyveN
02-16-2005, 09:03 PM
I prefer Federer but personally I found Sampras classy overall as well, considering what he has achieved relative to his peers for many years, unless your a saint it is hard to remain completely modest.
The Rafter answer has been overhyped and it was even a stupider question then the one Roger was asked about Andre.

Lalitha
02-16-2005, 09:10 PM
He didn't disrespect him, for goodness sake, and I'm an Agassi fan!

The media asked Federer whether he needed to step it up in order to play Agassi. Now, *that* was disrespect. Who's the number one here? Who was defending champion? Who hadn't lost a match since August? So Roger reminded them that the question should have been put the other way around, and so it should have been. Fortunately he's a bit more diplomatic than I would have been in the same situation ;)

Here's the question/answer from the actual transcript:

Q. You possibly might have to play Agassi next. Assuming you do play Agassi, do you think your game at the moment, you're at a level to beat him, considering how well he played the other night?

ROGER FEDERER: I hope so. I mean, I don't know why you ask me a question like this. I think I've proven myself in the past, and I know my game's good enough, you know. Also on my day where I'm not playing perfect, I know I can beat him. He's not as good as he was when he was at the top of the ranking, otherwise he would be there. Fortunately, I'm there.
I think he has to raise his game, not me.

Arrogance? Nope. Just being straightforward, I think. (And of course, he was right as well.)

Saying "I know I can beat him" is okay, straight forward.

But saying "He has to raise his game, not me" isn't.

jtipson
02-16-2005, 09:17 PM
Saying "I know I can beat him" is okay, straight forward.

But saying "He has to raise his game, not me" isn't.

Considering the person asking the question was implying that Roger would need to raise his own game, I think that was a very reasonable comment. It was also borne out in the match: Agassi needed to raise his game and he wasn't able to.

aIrSaMpRaS14
02-16-2005, 09:19 PM
OK check the name <<< :p

If someone gave me the option to see Sampras or Federer, I would choose Sampras.

Both make the game look easy and I do like Federer ALOT, he is one of my top favourites but I just love Sampras too much.

When I was growing up I was watching Sampras everyday either live or on tape and my game is based alot around his. He is just someone I looked upto alot growing up.

I dont look at what players say of court So I can't really comment on that :)

So I pick Sampras for entertainment :D

RogiFan88
02-16-2005, 09:23 PM
Sampras for entertainment?? that's a new one! oh, OK, perhaps his famous slam-dunks are entertaining... I'll give you that!

RogiFan88
02-16-2005, 09:27 PM

OK by me ;) we all have our tastes, which have nothing to do w how great a player is

Action Jackson
02-16-2005, 09:30 PM
Sampras was entertaining on clay when he looked beatable.

jtipson
02-16-2005, 09:34 PM
How?

If following this generalising way of yours, I have to say there are much more Federer fans here really, really amaze me.

As you wish; I'm sure most top tennis players attract fans that are over-the-top, and Federer is no exception.

The type of Sampras fans that amaze me are those who can't let go (and I have come across quite a few). I don't see that with those who favoured Borg, McEnroe, Becker, Edberg etc. Maybe those players retired too long ago. Such Pete fans have to keep mentioning him and hold him up on his pedestal (even though his achievements do that for him anyway). They will defend him against allcomers: nobody is ever good enough to compare with him, and it colours their views of current players.

Now whilst I am not suggesting that anyone on this thread is like that, I do see evidence of that way of thinking from some of the posts, which prompted my comment.

RogiFan88
02-16-2005, 09:37 PM
Sampras was entertaining on clay when he looked beatable.

:p naughty naughty, George, but amusing all the same! ;)

Gonzo Hates Me!
02-16-2005, 09:38 PM
I'm sick of the Federer - Sampras topics. It's old news and it's been done up my ass

RogiFan88
02-16-2005, 09:43 PM
have to agree w you for once Mrs. Guga!

marilag
02-16-2005, 11:14 PM
I adore Roger, and as for Sampras,

He was a great tennis player and that is where it ends for me.

That's about it.

wimbledonfan
02-16-2005, 11:43 PM
Pete once said that the difference between him and Patrick Rafter was 10 slams . I suppose some people think that it was a controversial remark or that he was being arrogant . In fact the media has never labelled Pete as being arrogant , they only criticized him for playing like a machine , exhibiting little or no emotion at all . On the other hand Roger Federer has made some comments that are far worse in comparison with Petes .

George , how can you say that Pete was not a humbled man ?
Like most Roger fans would say , he was speaking the truth and wasn't being arrogant at all . The difference between him and Rafter at the time was 10 slams .

I do think Roger is a nice guy but maybe his sudden rise in fame has gotten to his head . You don't make comments like how you can beat Andre when you are not playing your best tennis. It is one thing to say that he should raise his game because Roger is the number 1 player but to disrepect Andre like that is not showing any class . I don't know , maybe i'm looking at this the wrong way .

Lee
02-17-2005, 12:00 AM
As you wish; I'm sure most top tennis players attract fans that are over-the-top, and Federer is no exception.

The type of Sampras fans that amaze me are those who can't let go (and I have come across quite a few). I don't see that with those who favoured Borg, McEnroe, Becker, Edberg etc. Maybe those players retired too long ago. Such Pete fans have to keep mentioning him and hold him up on his pedestal (even though his achievements do that for him anyway). They will defend him against allcomers: nobody is ever good enough to compare with him, and it colours their views of current players.

Now whilst I am not suggesting that anyone on this thread is like that, I do see evidence of that way of thinking from some of the posts, which prompted my comment.

I have been on this board for longer time than you do. What I saw most of the time was there are posters not favouring Sampras tried to smear down his achievement over the year and so some Sampras fans speak up. I hardly see any Sampras fans here starting threads in GM putting him on the pedestral. And honestly, I am sick and tired of those posts myself and most of the time, I don't even bother to reply.

All fans have coloured views of players they don't like. Look into the poll of biggest achievement, last time I checked, there are 4 people voting Federer's GS slam as the biggest. He may one day, but definitely not now.

The problem I have with your comment is, you were debating with a Sampras fan, and then at the end of your post, you just simply generalised most Sampras fans without any reason or explanation.

Lee
02-17-2005, 12:05 AM
Pete once said that the difference between him and Patrick Rafter was 10 slams . I suppose some people think that it was a controversial remark or that he was being arrogant . In fact the media has never labelled Pete as being arrogant , they only criticized him for playing like a machine , exhibiting little or no emotion at all . On the other hand Roger Federer has made some comments that are far worse in comparison with Petes .

George , how can you say that Pete was not a humbled man ?
Like most Roger fans would say , he was speaking the truth and wasn't being arrogant at all . The difference between him and Rafter at the time was 10 slams .

I do think Roger is a nice guy but maybe his sudden rise in fame has gotten to his head . You don't make comments like how you can beat Andre when you are not playing your best tennis. It is one thing to say that he should raise his game because Roger is the number 1 player but to disrepect Andre like that is not showing any class . I don't know , maybe i'm looking at this the wrong way .

Jason, everyone is entitled to his/her opinions. Just like the great debate of Coria, some said he faked injury, some said no. Some said cramp is not an injury and some said otherwise. There will be no end to this kind of argument and I really don't see anything constructive results will come out of these.

Lee
02-17-2005, 12:10 AM
Definitely prefer Federer over Sampras that wasn't a hard choice.

I know what you mean jtip, not all but some Sampras fans all of a sudden feel threatened that his legacy is going to be cheapened in some way or something like that, when many people in the tennis world are saying that Federer can win the Slam, he is better on clay now than Pete and if this happens, then Sampras fans will bark back 7 Wimbledons and 6x in a row at % 1. The first one is far more impressive than the 2nd one.

Sampras tried being humble, he wasn't humble it was fake. I mean humble guys don't make comments like he said against Rafter and Muster more than once. He was a great tennis player and that is where it ends for me.

So far, I haven't seen anybody bark at you on this board :p

I have read many of your how great Muster and/or Wilander posts myself. ;)

niko
02-17-2005, 12:14 AM
Originally Posted by jtipson
Or good looking! :)

wimbledonfan
02-17-2005, 12:30 AM
This is true Lee , these arguments never get settled , and everyone is entitled to his or her own opinion .

I just think my opinion is better ......haha jk of course

niko
02-17-2005, 12:32 AM
I don't think Roger is arrogant. I remember Pete at Wimbldon with Budd Collins couldn't even remember Ivanicevic's name, that's arrogant.

wimbledonfan
02-17-2005, 01:00 AM
Pete respected Gorans tennis game , and after he beat Goran in 94 , he said that he would one day win wimbledon , and he was correct .

RogiFan88
02-17-2005, 01:00 AM
Here's someone who shares the opinion of some here [this fr safinator in reply to an article]:

He sounds like such a selfish prick. He thinks only he one deserves to win or should win!!! HE thinks he will reach Sampras record 14 slams!! I sincerely hope NOT!!! His head would be too big to carry on his shoulders then. One thing you can say about tiger woods when he was dominating the PGA. He had more humility in his pinky finger than Roger has in his entire body!!! A**hole!!!!!

[I don't agree w the Tiger Woods comment.] ;)

heya
02-17-2005, 04:32 AM
:lol: :o

robinhood
02-17-2005, 08:23 AM
Some people here have said that Sampras never questioned line calls and stuff. I just watched his Wimbledon match vs. Fed in 2001, and I couldn't disagree more with that statement.

Mimi
02-17-2005, 08:31 AM
pete always :cool:

jtipson
02-17-2005, 09:17 AM
I have been on this board for longer time than you do. What I saw most of the time was there are posters not favouring Sampras tried to smear down his achievement over the year and so some Sampras fans speak up. I hardly see any Sampras fans here starting threads in GM putting him on the pedestral. And honestly, I am sick and tired of those posts myself and most of the time, I don't even bother to reply.

All fans have coloured views of players they don't like. Look into the poll of biggest achievement, last time I checked, there are 4 people voting Federer's GS slam as the biggest. He may one day, but definitely not now.

The problem I have with your comment is, you were debating with a Sampras fan, and then at the end of your post, you just simply generalised most Sampras fans without any reason or explanation.

Lee, I said "some Sampras fans amaze me"; and you even quoted me. That's not "all" or even "most", and now I have explained what I meant.

I'm not just drawing these conclusions from people on this board (who, for the most part, don't seem to be extreme), but from other places. So it's my experience as a whole that colours my reaction.

I'm quite tired of the Sampras-Federer debate too and don't wish to cause unnecessary grief between fans. But I would still probably react when I see pro-Pete fans slighting Roger.

Angle Queen
02-17-2005, 12:26 PM
I'm :topic: here...but LOL!Pete once said that the difference between him and Patrick Rafter was 10 slams.The difference between Mr...and...Mrs...Agassi is 13 slams. And they still love each other.

erik-the-red
02-17-2005, 01:01 PM
I like them both.

Sampras has the better serve and the better net game. But, Federer moves better, has better court coverage, and has the bigger back court game.

kjo
02-17-2005, 05:18 PM
Hi, guys. don´t mean to beat a dead horse re Fed´s comments about Agassi, but it´s obvious that he got pissed off at the reporter and lost his temper. It happens, esp in a stressful situation like defending a GS. There was no malice in his comments towards Agassi, just at the journalist. I read an interview somewhere where Fed said he worries before each press conference that he´s going to say the wrong thing. So he screwed up. Why not show some compassion?
Especially as after the match he went out of his way to be nice to Agassi, saying that AA had outplayed him from the baseline. He also said playing Agassi makes him concentrate so hard he couldn´t really enjoy it.

TaTaaa
02-17-2005, 11:46 PM
voted for: Like Sampras, don't like Federer...

Action Jackson
02-18-2005, 07:30 AM
Jason, everyone is entitled to his/her opinions. Just like the great debate of Coria, some said he faked injury, some said no. Some said cramp is not an injury and some said otherwise. There will be no end to this kind of argument and I really don't see anything constructive results will come out of these.

You are right and the debate is tired, the fact that many people are lazy and keep using Sampras as a reference point for Federer, when both stand out for different reasons.

One thing if a doctor says cramp is an injury, then they cheated through medical school.

Muster and Wilander aren't important in this. I don't make them out to be something that they are not .The thing that irritates me as that Sampras's achievements stand out for themselves and when lazy people starting doing what I said in my first paragraph, then they come out of the woodwork.

Absolute fanatical fans piss me off, the ones who continually make excuses when the other player was better than there favourite on the day they are worse.

star
02-18-2005, 02:08 PM
The best thing about Federer is that he is taking away all the talk about Sampras being the "best ever" immediately after Sampras quit the game. :D

marilag
02-18-2005, 05:25 PM
The best thing about Federer is that he is taking away all the talk about Sampras being the "best ever" immediately after Sampras quit the game. :D :yeah:

jacobhiggins
02-18-2005, 05:45 PM
Sampras argurably the best player to ever play the game, is followed by Federer, a player that actually has a chance to surpass Sampras's greatness, WoW. This dosen't happend a lot in sports.

fedpras
02-18-2005, 08:25 PM
I didn't really mean to start a debate about whether Federer or Sampras is better/more likable. I was mainly interested in whether Sampras fans started rooting for Federer after Sampras retired. But since this is the way the discussion is going...

Obviously both guys are great athletes and two of the best players ever. And considering their successes, I would say they are both quite humble. How can you be the best in the world at what you do and not let it go to your head a bit? They've both said things that perhaps did not sound particularly gracious at the time, but can you really give me an example of somebody who HASN'T said something that he or she probably regretted later? Besides, they are both very good sports. When did Sampras or Federer ever throw a fit on court or employ questionable tactics in order to gain momentum?

In regards to they’re games, I’ll acknowledge that Federer is more fun to watch; however, I don’t think Sampras’s game was boring. Roger has more variety than anyone. Pete preferred to serve and volley, but his ground strokes were not to be underestimated. Admittedly, Sampras’s serve did take the suspense out of the game sometimes. But in my opinion, Sampras just looked so graceful on court, it was hard to be bored. It’s sort of the same way with Roger. He can make a 6-0 set interesting.

It’s fine with me if you disagree, but Sampras and Federer will always score high in my book.