How many millions are they worth? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

How many millions are they worth?

its.like.that
02-16-2005, 01:55 AM
Does anyone know how much various players sponsorship deals are worth? I vaguely remember that Serena switched to Nike on a $60M deal, but I was just wondering what the men earn...

smucav
02-16-2005, 02:19 AM
Forbes article last year on world's 50 highest-paid athletes estimated that Andre Agassi makes $28M per year. He's the only tennis player--male or female--in the top 50. The highest Sampras ever earned was $8M per year. Andy Roddick earns around $5M per year, but that figure doesn't include some of the deals he signed in 2004. Sports Business Journal later in the year estimated that his new deals are worth up to $5M more.
Found the Forbes article:
Copyright 2004 Forbes, Inc.
Forbes
July 5, 2004
Pg. 93 Vol. 173 No. 14
King of the Court: Andre Agassi is nearing the end of his playing days, but marketers still pay him top dollar.
Kurt Badenhausen

Andre Agassi is nearing the end of his playing days, but marketers remain eager to pay him top dollar.

Andre Agassi burst onto the professional tennis scene at age 16 in 1986, sporting long spiky hair and Nike denim shorts. He quickly became known for his passion and ferocity, fearlessly charging the net and smacking down serves speeding toward him at 130mph.

Eighteen years later Agassi is bald and 34, and his charges to the net aren't quite as ferocious as they used to be. The world's top players are a decade younger than he is. Since miraculously rising to the number one ranking in the world a year ago, he hasn't won a single tournament; after losing in the opening round of three consecutive events, he has dropped to number nine.

Yet off the court, as a celebrity pitchman, Andre Agassi--ranked seventh on FORBES' list of the 50 highest-paid athletes--has never been hotter. In two decades he has reaped $200 million in endorsement deals. This year sponsors will pay him $28 million, the richest year of his career; only Tiger Woods and Michael Jordan will outearn him.

And though he is nearing the end of his career, in the past two years he has landed American Express, Aramis, Genworth and KiaMotors. In November his longtime racquet sponsor, Head, signed him to a lifetime deal. In March he signed a ten-year pact with 24-Hour Fitness, which will open five Andre Agassi fitness centers by year-end; the pay starts at $1.5 million a year.

Agassi is a notable exception to the overall decline of sports-star endorsement deals. A decade ago sneakermakers handed out deals like lollipops, but today the bulk of the money goes to only a few ubiquitous superstars: Woods, Jordan, LeBron James. Ten years ago the best-paid athletes earned half of their income from endorsements; since then the 50 top earners have tripled their pay--with combined earnings of $1.1 billion--but only 40% comes from marketing deals.

Yet the largesse of Agassi's sponsors has little to do with his tenacity at the net. He had a lucrative deal with a nontennis sponsor (Canon) before winning his first Grand Slam event (Wimbledon in 1992). Today's top American tennis star, Andy Roddick, earns only $5 million a year off the court. Pete Sampras won 14 Grand Slam titles to Agassi's 8 and beat Agassi four of the five times they played a Grand Slam final. Yet Sampras' endorsement income peaked at $8 million, less than a third of what Agassi will reap this year.

"Agassi has tremendous personality and charisma--in a sport that wasn't known for those things," says David Carter, founder of Sports Business Group, a marketing firm in Redondo Beach, Calif. "He can speak to a couple of generations of consumers, which gives him a great platform for deals as his career winds down."

Next year Agassi will likely turn in the highest-earning year of his career, boosted by an estimated $40 million he is set to receive in Nike stock, a final balloon payment on a ten-year, $120 million deal. Nike was Agassi's first corporate sponsor, handing him $25,000 in his first year as a pro. Riccardo Colombini, Nike's tennis-marketing chief, says the flashy star helped make the Nike "Swoosh" logo an icon. "He embodies the Nike philosophy of being both irreverent and innovative. He changed the game of tennis and certainly its dress code." But will Nike sign him again when the deal ends next year? The company declines to comment.Here's the full list of 50:
The World's 50 Highest-Paid Athletes
Rank name | sport Pay ($mil)
1 TIGER WOODS | golf $80.3
2 MICHAEL SCHUMACHER | auto racing $80.0
3 PEYTON MANNING | football $42.0
4 MICHAEL JORDAN | basketball $35.0
5 SHAQUILLE O'NEAL | basketball $31.9
6 KEVIN GARNETT | basketball $29.7
[B]7 ANDRE AGASSI | tennis $28.2
8 DAVID BECKHAM | soccer $28.0
9 ALEX RODRIGUEZ | baseball $26.2
10 KOBE BRYANT | basketball $26.1
11 GRANT HILL | basketball $25.9
12 DEREK JETER | baseball $23.2
13 BARRY BONDS | baseball $22.7
14 MANNY RAMIREZ | baseball $22.1
15 OSCAR DE LA HOYA | boxing $22.0
16 LEBRON JAMES | basketball $21.1
17 VINCE CARTER | basketball $20.2
18 DALE EARNHARDT JR. | auto racing $20.1
19 ARNOLD PALMER | golf $20.0
20 PHIL MICKELSON | golf $19.8
21 ALLEN IVERSON | basketball $19.7
22 CHAMP BAILEY | football $19.6
23 JEFF GORDON | auto racing $19.3
24 LANCE ARMSTRONG | cycling $19.2
25 TRACY MCGRADY | basketball $19.0
Rank name | sport Pay ($mil)
26 RONALDO | soccer $18.5
27 CARLOS DELGADO | baseball $18.0
28 ICHIRO SUZUKI | baseball $17.8
29 RANDY JOHNSON | baseball $17.5
30 MIKE PIAZZA | baseball $17.3
31 JEVON KEARSE | football $17.2
32 SAMMY SOSA | baseball $17.0
33 PEDRO MARTINEZ | baseball $16.8
34 JASON GIAMBI | baseball $16.6
35 LAVAR ARRINGTON | football $16.5
36 BRIAN URLACHER | football $16.4
37 CARSON PALMER | football $16.3
38 GREG NORMAN | golf $16.2
39 ERNIE ELS | golf $16.1
40 RALF SCHUMACHER | auto racing $16.0
41 JASON KIDD | basketball $15.9
42 ZINEDINE ZIDANE | soccer $15.8
43 YAO MING | basketball $15.7
44 GRANT WISTROM | football $15.6
45 SHAWN GREEN | baseball $15.5
46 CHARLES ROGERS | football $15.4
47 RASHEED WALLACE | basketball $15.3
48 KEVIN BROWN | baseball $15.2
49 ANFERNEE HARDAWAY | basketball $15.1
50 ANDRE MILLER | basketball $15.0

Earnings estimates are for June 2003 to June 2004. Totals include salaries, bonuses, prize money, endorsements and appearance fees.

its.like.that
02-16-2005, 03:24 AM
what about Tom Brady, Terrell Owens, Donovan McNabb.. surely those guys would be in the top 50, especially Tom??

bad gambler
02-16-2005, 03:27 AM
peyton manning is the only footballer US care about in terms of sponsorship

smucav
02-16-2005, 03:34 AM
peyton manning is the only footballer US care about in terms of sponsorshipThere was an article on the front page of the NYT (not the sports page, the front page) the day of the Super Bowl about how for someone who had won 2 Super Bowls in 3 years (3 in 4 years after this year's win), Tom Brady was very underpaid compared to other players. If I remember correctly, it said he only had 3 endorsements.

Coleburg83
02-16-2005, 04:01 AM
Yeah, Brady has three super bowl rings and Donovan McNabb has the endorsements.

Horatio Caine
02-16-2005, 11:34 AM
:eek: Too much money.

Angle Queen
02-16-2005, 01:35 PM
Thanks for the detailed info, smucav. And there's no way Tom Brady is in the top 50. He's just a pup chronologically and career-wise (even if he does have three rings). Manning, while only a year older...has a pedigree. Manning is also with a small market team...that needs the face time so I imagine his and the team's PR people are more aggressive to secure endorsements. Brady will get his ops...but I suspect he'll take things slow. He plays for a low-key, no-fuss team...and it seems to fit his personality to a tee.

As for the tennis guys, it doesn't surprise me that the A-train is the only one up there. With the length and success of his career, two high profile marriages...and a flashy personal image (in his younger days) that has matured nicely...make him a marketers dream. Federer strikes me as a guy like Brady. Lotsa success...but an under-the-radar kinda guy. With no agent (thank god!) to push him, if he makes a bigger splash on the US marketing/advertising scene...it'll be a small miracle. The quiet ones (witness Mr Sampras)...seldom reap the (financial) rewards they often deserve. As for Roddick, if he keeps up his Top 5 standing, continues to perform well at the USO and in DC, I think he'll have opportunities similar to Andre as he ages.

SwissMister1
02-16-2005, 02:34 PM
The reason why Manning is the highest ranked US footballer actually is because he signed a large up-front signing bonus as part of his contract. All of the signing bonus is counted for this year. So next year, he will drop way down the list. The same thing will happen to guys like Grant Wistrom and Carson Palmer. Players like McNabb, Brady, and Owens are already in the middle of their contracts and would have gotten their signing bonuses a few years ago.

I wonder if they include the mysterious appearance fees in Andre's figures.

smucav
02-16-2005, 04:25 PM
I wonder if they include the mysterious appearance fees in Andre's figures.Earnings estimates are for June 2003 to June 2004. Totals include salaries, bonuses, prize money, endorsements and appearance fees. http://www.menstennisforums.com/showpost.php?p=1229871&postcount=2

Does anyone know how much various players sponsorship deals are worth? I vaguely remember that Serena switched to Nike on a $60M deal, but I was just wondering what the men earn... BTW note that Serena isn't in the top 50 (nor are any other women). That Nike deal was for several years with various clauses & options built in. Venus signed that landmark $40M several years ago with Reebok, but collected less than half of it because of performance clauses. (They dropped her altogether last summer.) If I had to guess I would say that Mia Hamm or Annika Sorenstam are the highest paid women athletes.

its.like.that
02-16-2005, 08:25 PM
i cant believe all these pathetic baseballers and golfers earn more than soccer and tennis players

its.like.that
02-16-2005, 08:25 PM
bloody japanese market :(:(