I have to say I admire Coria... [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

I have to say I admire Coria...

TheMightyFed
02-15-2005, 09:55 AM
... for his efforts to improve his game on other surfaces than clay.
I hate his excuses when he loses because of blisters, cramps and other stuff, but I must say that his efforts to get a more universal game, surface wise, is good for tennis. He plays and loses early in Marseille while he could have played and maybe won Buenos Aires in front of his fans, friends and family, he's going on in Rotterdam... last year he was in finals in s'Hertogenboch on grass, which was not publicized that much for a "claycourter"...
Appearence fee is a factor, but losing in early rounds is tough for confidence at this level, so I don't think he's winning a lot of things short term in this process...
It was hard to admit but I have to say "congrats Mr. Coria" :yeah: :yeah:
What do you think ?

Puschkin
02-15-2005, 10:00 AM
[QUOTE=mdhubert.. last year he was in finals in s'Hertogenboch on grass, which was not publicized that much for a "claycourter"...
[/QUOTE]

I did notice it and it certainly increased my appreciation for him. And I never considered him a pure claycourter. The fact that he plays best on clay, doesn't mean that he can't play on other surfaces.

TheMightyFed
02-15-2005, 10:03 AM
I did notice it and it certainly increased my appreciation for him. And I never considered him a pure claycourter. The fact that he plays best on clay, doesn't mean that he can't play on other surfaces.
Sure, but he could focus on clay tournaments and win a lot more like others do, taking less risks, even if I can understand them...

Ferrero Forever
02-15-2005, 10:12 AM
very nice post mdhubert, i will good rep you for that.

Ferrero Forever
02-15-2005, 10:13 AM
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to mdhubert again.
will get around to it later

Neely
02-15-2005, 01:33 PM
Very correct, Hubert, I 100% share your thoughts on that.
I've also said that to the Coria fans in his forum some time ago and he absolutely gets my credit for doing that and getting results on hardcourt and grass last season.
You must just think of this situation that the guy was coming off the disappointing French Open Final, then he moves on to such an exotic surfaces, which grass certainly is, and gets a 1st round loss against a #200 ranked player. You would in most cases think that he stops playing now, but he didn't! Instead he moved on the next grass tournament and made the final beating some respectable grass court players like Clément, Beck and Ancic.

:hatoff: :hatoff: to Coria for doing all that

You cannot ask for more than at least trying, and with him it already was a very successful try and I think he can even further improve this.

RPH
02-15-2005, 01:50 PM
*Boos this thread loudly* :o

Coria on other surfaces = 1 step forward 3 steps back :lol:

TheMightyFed
02-15-2005, 02:02 PM
*Boos this thread loudly* :o

Coria on other surfaces = 1 step forward 3 steps back :lol:
Let's give him credit for his efforts, Coria hater ;)

Elwing
02-15-2005, 02:02 PM
well , what to say.. I agree with Puschkin, i never considered him as a pure claycourt player, although that is the surface more "sure" for him to play since he grew up playing in it, I think he can develope a greater tennis at other surfaces. He has what others clay players don't, speed and mind, nonetheless he has determination... One of the things I like the most in Coria is his personal battle so openly showed, he is always trying to get over himself and his history. He could've come to Bs As and play ATP at Lawn tennis but his contract didn't let him which I found at the same time, dessapointing (cuz i'm here and i would've loved to see him) and admirable at the same time, cuz he is trying , as one of you said, to reach his level in a more difficult surface... I don't think loosing against # 200 would be a big deal for him nowadays, he's still trying to recover from his injury and also he's away from clay so I think he's testing, once again, himself and he will make it. From all the argetinean players I think he has the most solid chance to stay and fight even to be higher, at the top ten. He has the mind, the spirit, and the coldness to play great tennis in all surfaces... for that I admire him...

Peoples
02-15-2005, 02:41 PM
Admire Coria? :haha:

TheMightyFed
02-15-2005, 03:52 PM
Admire Coria? :haha:
For that specifically, yes. And just for aknowledging the successes of Federer in Hamburg...
Otherwise, for overall admiration I prefer Fed, Marat and Andre for sure... ;)

Chloe le Bopper
02-15-2005, 05:53 PM
This is one of my favourite things about Coria :)

TheMightyFed
02-15-2005, 08:23 PM
Thanks everybody for the good reps :hug: :hug: :hug: :wavey:

marilag
02-15-2005, 08:45 PM
I hate his excuses when he loses because of blisters, cramps and other stuff, but I must say that his efforts to get a more universal game, surface wise, is good for tennis. He plays and loses early in Marseille while he could have played and maybe won Buenos Aires in front of his fans, friends and family, he's going on in Rotterdam... last year he was in finals in s'Hertogenboch on grass, which was not publicized that much for a "claycourter"...
Appearence fee is a factor, but losing in early rounds is tough for confidence at this level, so I don't think he's winning a lot of things short term in this process...
What do you think ?

Such a brave post. ;)

I agree with you. :cool:

boliviana
02-15-2005, 09:37 PM
I have to agree wholeheartedly that Coria is special in that he is willing to put himself out there . . . I think he has grown up a lot in a year's time. This is not same guy who thought he could win RG. He's wiser now and still pushes himself to achieve new things. That takes guts. I don't know what it is about him but his presence out there is so personal and he wears it on his sleeve so publicly. Now, you either love him or hate him but it's hard not to feel it when he is in throes of a match.

I thought his grass court work was very admirable considering how his head and heart must have been reeling. And to the point of his being a clay-courter above all else, he himself has professed feeling like he was born on clay . . . that clay is his destiny so it's hard not to want to put him in that box. But he had a decent run last year in Miami (and other tournaments in 2003) and would have beaten Roddick if not for the kidney stones. Roddick was out of his element that day and very lucky to have grabbed that one for the mantle.

Domino
02-16-2005, 12:16 AM
He has the rare ability to consistantly hit down the line off both wings, that's an ability that translates to potential on fast surfaces. He needs time to work into it, but I think he eventually will, I just hope he defends some of his Miami points.

BlackSilver
02-16-2005, 02:38 AM
What do you think ?

Do you really believe in this mdhubert? The true important reason for he to be playing there is some contract with some sponsor that probably gave to him tons of money

Chloe le Bopper
02-16-2005, 03:20 AM
Do you really believe in this mdhubert? The true important reason for he to be playing there is some contract with some sponsor that probably gave to him tons of money
Absolutely regardless of his motives this week and last, you simply can't deny that he's made an effort on other surfaces. He demands the best of himself everywhere and knows that in order to compete with the best in the rankings that he has to improve where he is at his weakest. He has said as much on more than one occasion.

BlackSilver
02-16-2005, 04:25 AM
Absolutely regardless of his motives this week and last, you simply can't deny that he's made an effort on other surfaces. He demands the best of himself everywhere and knows that in order to compete with the best in the rankings that he has to improve where he is at his weakest. He has said as much on more than one occasion.

Of Course, I gave the idea of thinking different from this? If I gave that idea, you can be sure that I didn't want to transmit this message. I remember, VERY well when I saw a photo of Coria on a newspaper saying below that he lost on a final of a grass tournament. I remained very surprised and admired Coria for doing so well on grass.

But here I simply was ratifying a untrue statement that is being wrongly spread. Nothing more, nothing less .

Chloe le Bopper
02-16-2005, 04:28 AM
Okay :)

JeLuliA88
02-16-2005, 04:32 AM
finally a non bashing coria thread :)

*SKYE*
02-16-2005, 04:36 AM
finally a non bashing coria thread :)
:) :devil: So.....................Tempting................... .... :devil: :)

Eclectic Goddess
02-16-2005, 05:07 AM
:) :devil: So.....................Tempting................... .... :devil: :)
Thanks for the restraint.

Action Jackson
02-16-2005, 05:17 AM
Considering has at least made a final of every surface that should be enough to show that he is not just a "dirty" claycourter just because he happens to be from Argentina.

Sure it was a sponsorship deal that took him to play these events, but that's only part of it, he seems to have an idea of what he wants to do in tennis and this being the case he is only following the steps of other players who have been labelled as claycourters and if he wins one of these bigger events away from the clay, it's good for him and he is capable of following players like Corretja, Rios, Guga, Wilander as examples who proved they can win on other surfaces.