Another stupid thread [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Another stupid thread

Domino
02-15-2005, 06:15 AM
It's a highschool paper I wrote on tennis! Enjoy, I wasted more of your time today:

What is Tennis?
When I first saw tennis being played, I said, “That looks dumb!” Tennis seemed like a waste of time both by the players, and by the spectators of the sport. Nevertheless, after watching a couple of matches, I realized that it was a great sport. The one-on-one aspect of it appealed to be because it was like a modern-day duel for superiority. Now, I watch it whenever I can; tennis is a pastime to me like baseball is to most American youth. Particularly engaging are matches where the players clash in a power vs. skill duel, symbolizing the classic story of “David and Goliath.” However, I figured out that tennis is different than other sports; tennis is harder, because you can’t give up, while in football, if a player gives up he can just be replaced by a teammate. Moreover, I discovered that tennis is more than a sport.

Tennis is a reflection of life. In every aspect, actions during a tennis match mirror life choices. For example, always waiting for events to happen, and avoiding all risks is fruitless in the long run. I have seen many players who are content to just hit the ball back all the time; however, this strategy is destroyed when they serve. Serving needs to be forceful, or else the server most likely loses the point. Similarly, life presents situations where the initiative needs to be taken. For example, I receive homework daily that is the easiest task because the objectives are outlined. However, sometimes I get an essay where I am given a vague idea on what to do (like write a semiotics essay) and it is up to me to figure out how to approach it. However, I can’t just slap together a makeshift essay, because like in tennis where I will never get the chance to serve again, and I will never get the chance to write that paper again.

On the other hand, tennis is more than just a play-by-play of life choices; tennis is a sport for the ages. Young and old, anyone can learn to play the sport of tennis. Professional players range from age 15 to 48 years of age, and players at both extremes win. Incredibly, Steffi Graf started playing when she was three! Moreover, George H.W. Bush actually played a charity match with two all-time women’s great players last summer, and played very well for a sprightly eighty years old. Altogether, tennis is proof that experience and wisdom can compete with youthful energy. Tennis is a testament to the phrase: “respect your elders.”

Nevertheless, tennis is ultimately a reflection of oneself. When started playing, I was an emotionally insecure person; I wore my heart on my sleeve as I played. At the time, I would let my emotions dictate my life, and I let my emotions dictate my play. Furthermore, I did not have any direction in my life, and I played like an idiot and wildly swung at the ball, not thinking about what I was doing. However, grew from an emotionally driven, insecure child into a calm, confident teenager. I realized that I am a strong person, and I realized the virtue of patience. When I go on the court, I have a plan of action. I hit forceful shots to push my opponents back, but I don’t try to win points with spectacular winners. I seize the moment when it comes, but I don’t go attacking every option, hoping that it is a possibility for a winner.

I don’t see it as my profession; tennis is just my hobby and favorite pastime. Nevertheless, it has so many meanings to me that I like to think that it is a part of my soul. Without it, I don’t think I would be who I am today. So in the end, tennis is a pillar for my personality.

Coleburg83
02-15-2005, 06:20 AM
Yeah, what's up with King George I, I don't remember him being too big into tennis back in the Soviet days, yet that's all I seem to hear about him doing these days, tennis and charity events, usually combined.