Banned Austrian in cup squad [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Banned Austrian in cup squad

Jackie
02-15-2005, 04:30 AM
Banned Austrian in cup squad
From correspondents in Vienna
February 15, 2005

AUSTRIAN captain Thomas Muster has nominated suspended Stefan Koubek in his team to face Australia in the opening round of the Davis Cup in Sydney from March 4-6.

Although Muster will most likely have to make do without team No.1 Koubek, who is banned until March 21 after testing positive for the banned substance triamcinolon acetonid at the 2004 French Open, he nominated him regardless.

"We are, of course, hoping that the International Tennis Federation will accept our appeal and reduce Stefan's suspension so he can play," said Muster. "But if not, Marco (Mirnegg) will replace him in the squad."

Muster described Mirnegg, the 22-year-old son of former Austrian football international Dietmar, as "one of the strongest youngsters in Austria".

"His service and his forehand are quite impressive," he said.

Mirnegg is No.308 in the ATP entry ranking.

Muster also lined up Juergen Melzer, Julian Knowle and Alexander Peya for his team.

"We are unlucky that Juergen, who has been playing in such great form recently, has injured himself in San Jose, but maybe he can overcome it quickly," he said.

Agence France-Presse

On what basis are the Austrian team appealing for a shorter ban? Shortening a ban so a tennis player can play Davis Cup would be like shortening a ban on a swimmer because there is an upcoming Olympic Games. Unless they have good reason for the appeal [and no good reason has yet been reported], they don't have a hope in hell of getting the ITF to alter their decision

Chloe le Bopper
02-15-2005, 04:33 AM
Well, it's nice that he has the support of his team, I suppose.

Coleburg83
02-15-2005, 04:35 AM
"On what basis are the Austrian team appealing for a shorter ban?"

I think that is it.

Jackie
02-15-2005, 04:42 AM
"On what basis are the Austrian team appealing for a shorter ban?"

I think that is it.
:rolls: :haha:...and by the way, I would have the same opinion even if Austria weren't playing Australia

Kristen
02-15-2005, 04:49 AM
I'm really glad they're bringing Stefan with them.
Sure, I am incredibly pissed that they would prefer Marco (AUT #9) aside from the guy in my avatar (AUT #4), but it's good of them to bring Stefan along for the ride. The Austrians are gonna need to use him for motivational purposes. They're lucky he only got three months suspension. No chance for an even shorter ban, IMO... :smash: