What will the attendance be like? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

What will the attendance be like?

Darkheart
11-10-2002, 04:44 AM
Do you think the attendance here will be better than the WTA Championships in Los Angeles?

I think so. It cannot be worse than L.A. It's scientifically impossible ;).

The first Masters Cup in Lisbon was a hit. Guga won it. The fans were pulling for him because he was from Brazil (a country that speaks Portuguese also), so he was sort of a hometown hero. Plus he made his winning speech in Portuguese.

Then last year it was also a hit in Melbourne. Hewitt won it. Of course the fans were cheering for the hometown players (Hewitt and Rafter).

This year it will be in Shanghai. There's no hometown player to cheer for. However, there are some huge stars that you can root for, like Agassi, Hewitt, Safin, Ferrero, and Moya . And you wouldn't think that the Chinese people would be huge tennis fans. Well, we'll have to see about that.

There's a difference between the WTA and ATP. The WTA is dominated by 3 or 4 players who can beat everybody else 95% of the time. On the ATP, anybody can beat anybody else on any given day, so the predictability is almost non-existent. That is what adds to the excitement.

So, in summary, I think it will be a good turnout. Nothing can be worse than what is happening in L.A. at the moment ;).

claudine140
11-10-2002, 07:25 AM
Originally posted by Darkheart
Do you think the attendance here will be better than the WTA Championships in Los Angeles?

I think so. It cannot be worse than L.A. It's scientifically impossible ;).

The first Masters Cup in Lisbon was a hit. Guga won it. The fans were pulling for him because he was from Brazil (a country that speaks Portuguese also), so he was sort of a hometown hero. Plus he made his winning speech in Portuguese.

Then last year it was also a hit in Melbourne. Hewitt won it. Of course the fans were cheering for the hometown players (Hewitt and Rafter).

This year it will be in Shanghai. There's no hometown player to cheer for. However, there are some huge stars that you can root for, like Agassi, Hewitt, Safin, Ferrero, and Moya . And you wouldn't think that the Chinese people would be huge tennis fans. Well, we'll have to see about that.

There's a difference between the WTA and ATP. The WTA is dominated by 3 or 4 players who can beat everybody else 95% of the time. On the ATP, anybody can beat anybody else on any given day, so the predictability is almost non-existent. That is what adds to the excitement.

So, in summary, I think it will be a good turnout. Nothing can be worse than what is happening in L.A. at the moment ;).

Yes it is terrible the WTA tournement in LA, and thinking the televisionstation eurosport spent so much time on showing womentennis. I hate it. Show us more men tennis

Chloe le Bopper
11-10-2002, 09:44 AM
I'm sure the attendance will be better - how can it not :D

The ATP doesn't have morons in the marketting dept, which will *hopefully* show.

That, and some of the men are *quite* popular in asia, if I'm not mistaken :)

King Aaron
11-10-2002, 12:55 PM
I think it'll be much better. :D

Doris Loeffel
11-10-2002, 02:50 PM
Well posters like this can hardly be overlooked.....

http://a.blick.ch/PICS/HBYXBKzaiKe.jpg
Found in todays Sonntagsblick pic by Beni Soland

Leo7
11-10-2002, 03:34 PM
i don't think attendance will be great, but it should be better than LA.

jcluvva
11-10-2002, 04:45 PM
I agree the attendance has to be better than in the womens tournament.

I also think Eurosport show far too much womens tennis and it really annoys me as the mens is so much more exciting and unpredictable. I'm sure they would get more viewers if they showed more mens:drool:

TennisHack
11-10-2002, 05:35 PM
One of the reasons there are hardly any people at the WTA Championships is because tickets are like $400 or so. A day.

So there's no possible way attendence at the Masters Cup could be worse, as tickets are more reasonably priced (if TMS tickets are anything to go on . . .)

And as Becca said, some of these players are incredibly popular in Asia.

Mr. Man
11-10-2002, 05:55 PM
Yea Tennishack is right, But the LA crowds are comin in, last night it was pretty crowded. I think Th masters cup will way more people..including Rod Laver (i think he said he was gonna be there.. :D )

TheBoiledEgg
11-10-2002, 06:06 PM
It can't be any worse can it :D

Jorge
11-10-2002, 08:24 PM
it couldn't be worse!:rolleyes:
besides the chinese people is not like the USA "tennis fans",
They just have the Polo Open (and the HK open), they are hungry for innovations and to know and to approach more the western amusements. So even for a cultural motive, I believe it will be a complete success the tournament at Shanghai :cool:

Jackie
11-11-2002, 03:05 AM
Originally posted by Darkheart

Excuse me, but the Masters was in Sydney last year. If it was in Melbourne, I would have been there! The Australian Open and the Davis Cup final were in Melbourne

Darkheart
11-11-2002, 02:51 PM
Oops, my mistake. I knew it was either Melbourne or Sydney but I wasn't sure. I should've double-checked. :D

TheBoiledEgg
11-11-2002, 04:13 PM
the Arena holds 10,000 so it won't have that empty feeling

Lee
11-11-2002, 07:07 PM
According to a report I read, 80% of RR tickets are sold and most of the tickets from finals are sold too.

Ma. Estefania
11-11-2002, 10:02 PM
I hope that it can be good.....come on....I could die to be there...

Darkheart
11-17-2002, 04:02 PM
The attendance turned out to be very good, way better than in L.A. :)

Chloe le Bopper
11-17-2002, 04:10 PM
Well in all fairness.

I could have shown up alone to every match and attendance would have been better than LA :)

Darkheart
11-17-2002, 05:13 PM
LOL! Good one, Rebecca. :D

Chloe le Bopper
11-17-2002, 05:29 PM
Thanks ;)

That has to be my most positive post of the past 12 hours :D

Maryann2102
11-17-2002, 08:00 PM
The spectators at MC Shanghai were fabulous....how great to play in front of such a knowledgeabe, enthusiastic, supportive (of all good points) . The screams and clapping energized me in front of the tv...imagine how great it was for the guys on the court. Hats off to Shangnai...always a packed house of great fans. I wish I had been there (take note WTA, ATP) . It is possible to fill tennis venues to capacity, or is it just Western entertainment overload that keeps fans away?