Roger Federer Newsletter February 2005 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Roger Federer Newsletter February 2005

AnnabelLee
02-14-2005, 04:46 PM
*** Deutsche Fassung weiter unten ***
*** Version Française tout en bas ***

Dear tennis fans

A terrific feeling still overcomes me when I look back at all my achievements in 2004. It was absolutely amazing to go soaring into such heights again after the low due to my injury in Basel. Not having been able to defend my title at the Australian Open this year and bringing an end to my long series of match wins and victories against top ten players certainly is painful. The expectations prior to the Australian Open were huge and I must say that I am pleased with the result. It is more the fact of not having been 100% fit that bothers me. In any case, I have experienced once again how little it takes to decide on who is to leave the court as a winner on this level - and especially at a Grand Slam.

I have definitely made a good start into the new season. The year has only just begun and there are plenty of important tournaments to focus on before the next Grand Slam. The fact that Tony Roche and myself can work together makes me feel very positive. It is interesting to learn from him and I am confident to be able to celebrate numerous further victories with his support.

My diary

In my last newsletter I told you all about the time before Houston. I had planned to spend a few days at home before the Masters but then there was a sudden change of plans: I was asked to participate in the opening ceremony of the UN's "International Year of Sports and Physical Education". The event was to be held in New York and I should be present next to Kofi Annan, Secretary General of the United Nations and Adolf Ogi, former Federal Councillor of Switzerland and now Special Adviser to the Secretary General on Sports for Development and Peace. It had been Adolf Ogi's idea for me to get involved in the event and I was fascinated by the idea on the spot! Being able to make a contribution to help others as an ambassador for sports is a very noble mission. As a result of my injury I was able to attend the ceremony and I was also asked to hold a speech. Believe me, I was pretty nervous before that - there were, after all, a lot of important people in that hall. But everything
worked
out perfectly well, certainly also due to the fact that I can identify myself excellently with the philosophy of this engagement: Showing others how many positive aspects there are to physical activity and being able to help others to find out of a miserable situation through sports as well as trying to overcome terrible experiences. It has been a great enrichment for everyone involved having been able to work together in this project. Adolf Ogi was thrilled about my participation and it was an honour for me to meet him.

My destination after New York was Houston where I arrived a week prior to the tournament. I felt that I needed to give myself enough time for moderate training after the injury. There were no complications whatsoever right from the start and I felt confident for the Tennis Masters Cup - what a relief! There was a lot at stake, after all: First of all I did not know at what level I would be able to play after my injury. Secondly the time had now come to prove that I merit being the world's number one tennis player. And last but not least I did not want my record-series of victories against top ten players to come to an end.
And so it was an enormous satisfaction to show such solid performances at the Masters. Then, finally, the last big question arose before the final: would I be able to continue my series of tournament victories as well? Now we all know the answer. It was simply unbelievable - the perfect ending to an incredible season! Even without the title at the Masters it would have been a gigantic year. Only a couple of weeks further back it was uncertain whether I would be able to play in Houston at all. So being able to compete was already a bonus - not to mention taking home the title!

Finally it was time to relax in the sun with Mirka on the Maldives. It was a well-deserved break and we had a wonderful two weeks. We have been joking, asking ourselves whether I can permit myself such a break in the future should I not be able to reach such heights again!

Back in Switzerland I enjoyed a few days with my family and friends before moving on to Australia. I had to start preparing for the coming season and did so with Tony Roche in Sydney. Pierre Paganini, my fitness trainer, was also present and so the ten days turned out to be a very intensive training session.

I was one of the first players to arrive in Doha and I prepared thoroughly for the first challenge in 2005. I felt well, finding an excellent rhythm right from the start. I spent a great time in Doha, treating myself to some quad-biking in the desert and simply enjoying nature's beauty. And obviously it was thrilling to start the new season with the title at the Qatar Open!

Then it was time to return to Down Under. I had just been on one of the longest trips in my career so far, not spending Christmas and New Year at home for the first time. Therefore I was not quite certain if I still had enough energy left to perform well in Kooyong. I decided to make a steady start into the tournament which proved out to be the wrong approach; I had a hard time in the first round. Fortunately I was able to improve considerably, showing great matches against Tim Henman and Andy Roddick. After taking home the title it was clear to me that I was now prepared for the Australian Open.

Suddenly the moment was here: After Wimbledon it was up to me to defend another Grand Slam title. It did not look easy as my first round opponent was Fabrice Santoro. He is a very experienced player and I had a rather queasy feeling before the encounter. But, to my surprise, the match turned out to be a great start into the Australian Open. I continued in a solid way and the clear victory against Andre Agassi gave me further confidence for the further rounds. It was only pain in my foot that had been bothering me since the beginning of the tournament that made me feel a bit uncomfortable. I felt well apart from that and looked forward to the semi-final against Marat Safin. The stadium was packed for the night session, promising a great atmosphere. And what a match it turned out to be! Unfortunately the pain in my foot increased constantly, forcing me to evasive movements and eventually leading to strong tension in my back. Despite the handicap I had a matchball which I unfort
unately
was not able to convert. I fought with all my will and almost managed to turn the tide after finding back into the game in the last set. But Marat showed an excellent performance, deserving to take home the match and eventually the title.
It was certainly a tough moment for me. I had been in a similar situation in Melbourne against Tommy Haas in 2002. Furthermore I lost the Davis Cup match against Lleyton Hewitt in 2003 after leading by 2-0 sets and 5:3. All of this did not make it easier for me just then. As my last defeat goes back to the Olympics in Athens I am now confronted with a rather unfamiliar situation. But one thing is certain: I have learnt from this experience.

I would like to add that I am pleased with myself because I gave it all I could. I will definitely be back next year and who knows - maybe everything will fit together perfectly well again then. I will now have to show a reaction to this defeat and continue with the drive from Doha and Australia right up to the clay-season.

Tony Roche

I already told you in my last newsletter that I had returned home after the victory in Bangkok. Well, in between that I made a short stopover in Dubai for a first training session with Tony Roche. We had a great time and I was - and still am - impressed by his qualities. Unfortunately Tony does not want to travel as much anymore and we were unable to find an agreement on our further cooperation. He did offer to work with me during two weeks in December which was a great Christmas present to me. As mentioned, it was a tough session and I was able to learn a lot and improve. Later, at the Australian Open, Tony accompanied me during the entire tournament. I consider our cooperation most enriching and I am extremely pleased by his further engagement. We will spend several weeks per year training together during the largest breaks between tournaments.

International solidarity

The flood disaster in South-Asia was a tremendous shock for me and it is still on my mind very often. The enormous amount of victims is unimaginable. Contributing to the relief efforts means a lot to me as I have had the privilege of visiting some of the affected areas in the past. Next to my personal donation I had the chance to take action in Nike Town Melbourne during the Australian Open. I helped out at the till together with Cathy Freeman, James Blake, James Hird and other athletes. Every dollar spent that day - the proud sum of 100'000$ - was donated to the World Vision Tsunami Relief Fund. Nike even topped that by adding material in the same value. I had a great time during the event also being able to challenge a few fans in table-tennis in the shop.
Furthermore the ATP sold a set containing autographed rackets used by Andy Roddick, Lleyton Hewitt and myself by auction and we managed to gather terrific amounts by auctioning pieces of clothing and a racket from Wimbledon and Houston. It is a wonderful sign to see such a large amount of organisations and persons worldwide expressing their solidarity with the people who have lost everything.

Official Fan Calendar

I can hardly believe it: the last few copies of my official fan calendar 2005 have just left the storehouse - despite having increased the number of prints by 50% compared to the previous year! I am overwhelmed to see your interest in the calendar and I would like to express my gratitude for your support. As every purchase also supports the Roger Federer Foundation you have also put a smile on the faces of children in Africa - I would like to thank you with all my heart.

Dear fans, my break is over again now. I had a very interesting time with various events and meetings. One of the highlights was certainly receiving the Golden Camera in Berlin which fills me with pride. I am now full of energy and look forward to the tournaments lying ahead.

Take care, bis bald, à bientôt
Yours Roger

Liebe Tennisfreunde

Ich habe einen unglaublichen Abschluss des perfekten Tennisjahres erleben dürfen. Nach dem Tief der Verletzung in Basel wieder so hoch zu steigen, das war schon wahnsinnig. Es ist sicherlich schmerzhaft, dass es nicht mit der Titelverteidigung des Australian Open geklappt hat und dass meine Serie der Matchsiege und der Siege gegen Top Ten Spieler nun unterbrochen wurde. Die Erwartungen vor dem ersten Grand Slam dieses Jahres waren gewaltig. Ich bin aber durchaus mit meiner Leistung zufrieden und trauere mehr der Tatsache nach, nicht 100% fit gewesen zu sein. Ich habe jedenfalls wieder erfahren, wie wenig darüber entscheidet, ob man auf diesem Niveau und besonders an einem Grand Slam als Sieger oder Verlierer vom Platz geht.

Auf jeden Fall bin ich gut ins 2005 gestartet. Das Jahr hat erst gerade angefangen und bis zum nächsten Grand Slam gibt es nun eine Vielzahl wichtiger Turniere zu bestreiten - darauf freue ich mich riesig. Sehr positiv stimmt mich ausserdem die Tatsache, dass ich mit Tony Roche zusammenarbeiten kann. Es ist äusserst spannend, von ihm zu lernen und ich bin zuversichtlich, dass ich nicht zuletzt dank seines Beitrags noch mehr grosse Erfolge werde feiern können.

Mein Tagebuch

Zuletzt hatte ich euch davon berichtet, wie es mir vor Houston ergangen war. Eigentlich wollte ich vor dem Masters noch einige Tage zu Hause verbringen. Doch dann war ich vier Tage früher in die USA gereist, denn ich war für eine sehr spezielle Aufgabe angefragt worden: ich sollte an der Seite von Kofi Annan, dem UNO-Generalsekretär, und Adolf Ogi, Alt-Bundesrat der Schweiz und heute Sonderbeauftragter für Sport bei der UNO, in New York das "Internationale Jahr des Sports und der Erziehung" der UNO eröffnen. Es war Adolf Ogis Idee gewesen, mich für den Anlass zu engagieren und natürlich war ich auf der Stelle von der Aufgabe fasziniert! Als Botschafter für den Sport einen Beitrag zur Hilfe anderer leisten zu können, ist eine sehr noble Mission. Aufgrund meiner Verletzung hatte ich Zeit, an der Zeremonie teilzunehmen. Es war eine äusserst spezielle, völlig neue Erfahrung für mich. Ich hielt auch eine kurze Rede, vor der ich ungemein nervös gewesen war - schliesslich trat ich v
or
einer Menge wichtiger Persönlichkeiten auf. Es klappte aber alles reibungslos, denn schliesslich kann ich mich nur allzu gut mit der Philosophie des Engagements identifizieren: Die Freude an der Bewegung vermitteln und anderen helfen, mit Sport aus ihrer schwierigen Situation zu kommen und Schlimmes zu vergessen. Es ist für mich und für die anderen auch eine Bereicherung, in diesem Rahmen zusammenarbeiten zu können. Adolf Ogi hat sich enorm über meine Beteiligung gefreut und ich selbst habe es sehr geschätzt, ihn kennen lernen zu dürfen.

Von New York machte ich mich dann auf nach Houston, um mich frühzeitig vorbereiten zu können. Ich traf bereits eine Woche vor Turnierbeginn ein, denn schliesslich musste ich mir für den Trainingsaufbau nach der Verletzung genügend Zeit lassen. Ich fühlte aber sehr schnell, dass eigentlich alles gut gehen müsste mit dem Start in den Tennis Masters Cup. Was für eine Erleichterung! Schliesslich lastete enorm viel Druck auf mir, als ich nach Houston gereist war: Erstens wusste ich nicht so recht, wo ich nach meiner Verletzung stehen würde. Zweitens musste ich nun beweisen, dass ich die verdiente Nummer eins der Weltrangliste bin. Und drittens wollte ich die Rekordserie der Siege gegen Top Ten Spieler nicht abreissen lassen. Es war somit eine wunderbare Genugtuung, am Masters solch starke Leistungen zeigen zu können. Am Finaltag verspürte ich nochmals einen stärkeren Druck: Konnte ich die gewaltige Serie von Finalsiegen ebenfalls fortsetzen? Nun, ihr kennt die Antwort bereits. Es
war
einfach unglaublich - das perfekte Saisonende! Es wäre ohne den Sieg am Masters bereits eine gigantische Saison gewesen. Und nur gut drei Wochen vorher drohte nach meinem Muskelfaserriss in Basel das vorzeitige Ausscheiden! Man sagte mir, dass ich das Masters sehr wahrscheinlich nicht bestreiten könne. Daher war ich überglücklich, in Houston überhaupt antreten zu können - und das Turnier dann sogar zu gewinnen!

Danach standen für Mirka und mich zwei Wochen Entspannung an der Sonne auf den Malediven auf dem Programm. Es war eine schöne Zeit, die ich mir sicherlich verdient hatte. Stellt sich nur die Frage, ob ich in Zukunft auch eine solche Auszeit nehmen darf, wenn ich keine derartige Saison hinlege!

Zurück in der Schweiz genoss ich anschliessend ein paar Tage im Kreis meiner Familie und Freunde. Von dort ging es weiter nach Sydney, wo ich mich zehn Tage lang mit Tony Roche auf die anstehende Saison vorbereitete. Pierre Paganini, mein Konditionstrainer, war ebenfalls anwesend und so trainierte ich sehr intensiv.

In Doha fühlte ich mich ausgezeichnet und fand von Anfang an einen sehr guten Rhythmus. Ich hatte in Doha eine angenehme Zeit und konnte mich nebenbei entspannen - ob beim Quad-bike fahren in der Wüste oder einfach beim Geniessen der besonderen Atmosphäre. Natürlich war ich überglücklich, mit einem Turniersieg in das neue Tennisjahr starten zu können.

Danach fand ich mich innert weniger Wochen bereits zum zweiten Mal in Australien ein. Ich hatte eine der längsten Reisen meiner bisherigen Karriere hinter mir und es war für mich das erste Mal, dass ich während Weihnachten und Neujahr von zu Hause weg gewesen war. Daher hoffte ich, noch genügend Energie für die bevorstehenden Aufgaben mobilisieren zu können. Aus diesem Grund ging ich das Turnier in Kooyong in aller Ruhe an und bekundete sicherlich auch deswegen in der ersten Runde ziemliche Mühe. Allerdings steigerte ich mich danach stark und zeigte gegen Tim Henman und Andy Roddick sehr gute Matches. Mit dem Turniersieg war für mich klar, dass ich ideal für das Australian Open vorbereitet war.

Und nun war es soweit: Nach Wimbledon ging es darum, den nächsten Grand Slam Titel zu verteidigen. Bereits in der ersten Runde stand mir eine schwierige Aufgabe bevor: Ich traf auf Fabrice Santoro. Er ist ein sehr erfahrener Spieler und ich hatte vor der Begegnung ein ziemlich mulmiges Gefühl. Doch die Partie verlief unerwartet einfach, es war ein ausgezeichneter Auftakt. Die weiteren Begegnungen konnte ich souverän für mich entscheiden und der klare Sieg gegen Andre Agassi gab mir weiter Sicherheit. Einzig Schmerzen am Fuss, die ich schon während des ganzen Turniers verspürt hatte, machten mir etwas zu schaffen. Ich fühlte mich ansonsten gut und freute mich auf den Halbfinal-Match gegen Marat Safin. Das Stadion war für die Night Session ausverkauft, was eine tolle Atmosphäre versprach. Auf dem Platz war es dann auch so, dass wir uns einen spannenden Kampf lieferten. Leider schmerzte mein Fuss immer stärker. Ich versuchte ihn mit Ausweichbewegungen zu entlasten- was schliessl
ich zu
meiner Verspannung im Rücken führte. Ich vergab dann beim Matchball leider eine riesige Chance auf den Sieg, habe aber mit ganzem Willen weitergekämpft und bin trotz der Schmerzen bis ans Limit meiner Kräfte gegangen. Dank meines starken Siegeswillens kam ich sogar nochmals ins Spiel zurück und hätte es um ein Haar geschafft, das Blatt zu wenden. Das wäre wohl einfach etwas zu viel des Guten gewesen! Leider reichte es am Schluss doch nicht, denn Marat zeigte eine hervorragende Vorstellung und ging als verdienter Sieger aus diesem Match und später auch aus dem Australian Open hervor.
Die Niederlage war im ersten Moment schon sehr bitter. Schliesslich hatte ich 2002 in Melbourne schon einmal nach einem vergebenen Matchball verloren - damals gegen Tommy Haas. Und 2003 hatte ich im Davis Cup gegen Lleyton Hewitt mit 2-0 Sätzen und 5:3 geführt und auch diese Partie nicht für mich entscheiden können. Ich hatte also schon einige schmerzhafte Erinnerungen gesammelt, was es diesmal nicht gerade leichter machte. Da meine letzte Niederlage auf die Olympischen Spiele in Athen zurückgeht, befinde ich mich wieder in einer etwas ungewohnten Situation. Ich habe auf jeden Fall aus dieser Erfahrung gelernt.

Ich muss aber sagen, dass ich alles in allem zufrieden bin und weiss, dass ich alles gegeben habe. Nächstes Jahr werde ich zurückkehren und wer weiss - vielleicht passt dann wieder alles zusammen. Nun gilt es, eine Reaktion auf diese Niederlage zu zeigen und den guten Schwung aus Doha und Australien bis in die Sandplatz-Saison mitzunehmen!

Tony Roche

Ich hatte euch im letzten Newsletter schon erzählt, dass ich nach dem Erfolg in Bangkok wieder nach Hause zurückgekehrt war. Dazwischen hatte ich noch in Dubai einen Zwischenstopp eingelegt, um erstmals mit Tony Roche zu trainieren. Wir hatten eine tolle Zeit und ich konnte mich während der vier Tage Training von Tonys Qualitäten absolut überzeugen. Leider möchte er nicht mehr soviel reisen und wir konnten daher keine Vereinbarung für eine weitergehende Zusammenarbeit finden. Er sicherte mir aber zu, ich könne im Dezember während zwei Wochen intensiv mit ihm in Sydney arbeiten. Das war bereits ein wunderbares Weihnachtsgeschenk, das mich sehr aufstellte. Es war ein hartes Training, ich habe einiges gelernt und Fortschritte gemacht. Tony begleitete mich später auch während des Australian Open und war das ganze Turnier lang anwesend.
Unsere Zusammenarbeit ist für mich sehr bereichernd und ich freue mich über sein weiteres Engagement: Wir werden einige Wochen im Jahr während der turnierfreien Zeit gemeinsam trainieren.

Internationale Solidarität

Die Flutkatastrophe in Südasien war ein grosser Schock für mich und beschäftigt mich nach wie vor stark. Es ist schrecklich, wie viele Menschen darunter zu leiden haben. Da ich einige betroffene Gebiete bereits selbst entdecken durfte, gehen mir die Geschehnisse sehr nahe und es ist mir wichtig, etwas zur Linderung der Not beitragen zu können. Neben einer persönlichen Spende engagierte ich mich auch während des Australian Open im Nike Town Melbourne. Dort war ich zusammen mit anderen bekannten Sportlern wie Cathy Freeman, James Blake und James Hird hinter der Theke tätig und durfte zudem die Besucher zu einem Tischtennis-Match herausfordern. Jeder ausgegebene Dollar wurde an den World Vision Tsunami Relief Fund gespendet. Es kamen sage und schreibe 100'000$ zusammen, Nike steuerte zudem Materialien im gleichen Wert bei.
Die ATP unternahm ebenfalls einiges, um einen Beitrag zu leisten. So wurde ein Set mit unterzeichneten Schlägern von Andy Roddick, Lleyton Hewitt und mir selbst versteigert, zudem sammelten wir in Australien tolle Summen mit versteigerten Kleidungsstücken und einem Schläger von Wimbledon und Houston. Ich finde es ein wunderbares Zeichen, dass so viele Organisationen und Personen weltweit eine solch grosse Solidarität gezeigt haben.

Offizieller Fankalender

Es ist unglaublich: Eben haben die allerletzten Exemplare meines Fankalenders 2005 das Lager verlassen. Und das, obwohl wir die Auflage im Vergleich zum Vorjahr um 50% gesteigert haben! Es freut mich riesig, dass ihr an dem Kalender solche Freude findet und ich möchte mich bei euch allen für die enorme Unterstützung bedanken. Da ihr mit dem Kauf auch die Roger Federer Foundation unterstützt, wird euer Engagement nicht zuletzt auch Kindern in Afrika ein Lachen ins Gesicht zaubern - Nochmals ganz herzlichen Dank.

Liebe Tennisfreunde, nun ist die Pause zwischen den Turnieren auch schon wieder vorbei. Es war wieder eine sehr interessante Zeit mit vielen Terminen neben dem Tennisplatz. Ein Highlight war sicherlich die Verleihung der Goldenen Kamera in Berlin, was mich sehr stolz macht. Nun bin ich voller Energie und freue mich auf die bevorstehenden Turniere.

Bis bald, à bientôt, take care
Euer Roger

Chers amis du tennis

J'ai eu la chance de connaître une fin incroyable d'une année de tennis parfaite. Après la déception de ma blessure à Bâle, je n'aurais jamais cru pouvoir remonter aussi haut, c'était vraiment de la folie. C'est naturellement douloureux que je n'aie pas pu défendre mon titre à l'Australian Open et que ma série de victoires contre les joueurs classés au top ten ait trouvé sa fin. Les attentes étaient grandes avant le premier Grand Chelem de cette année. Mais je suis tout de même satisfait de ma performance et je regrette simplement de ne pas avoir été au plus haut de ma forme. J'ai en tout cas refait l'expérience du peu qui fait la différence entre un match gagné ou perdu à ce niveau, et surtout dans les tournois du Grand Chelem.

En tout cas j'ai bien commencé l'année 2005. La saison vient de commencer, et en attendant le prochain Grand Chelem il y a beaucoup d'autres tournois importants à disputer - je m'en réjouis beaucoup. Le fait de pouvoir travailler avec Tony Roche est aussi très positif pour moi. C'est captivant d'apprendre de lui et je crois que je pourrais fêter encore plus de succès avec son support.

Mon journal intime

La dernière fois je vous avais raconté ce qui s'était passé avant Houston. A l'origine, j'avais voulu passer quelques jours chez moi avant le Masters. Mais en fin de compte j'avais fait le voyage pour les États Unis quatre jours plus tôt, car on m'avais fait une demande pour une tâche très spéciale: je devais, aux côtés de Kofi Annan, secrétaire général de l'ONU, et d'Adolf Ogi, ex-conseiller fédéral de la Suisse et conseiller spécial du sport à l'ONU, inaugurer l' "année internationale du sport et de l'éducation physique" à New York. Cela avait été l'idée d'Adolf Ogi de m'engager pour cet événement et j'étais naturellement tout de suite fasciné! C'est une mission très noble de pouvoir contribuer à l'aide d'autres en tant qu'ambassadeur du sport. Ma blessure me laissait le temps de participer à la cérémonie. Ce fut pour moi une expérience nouvelle et très spéciale. J'ai aussi tenu un petit discours, avant lequel j'étais énormément nerveux - finalement je me présentais devant
toute
une flopée de personnes de haut rang. Mais tout alla très bien, puisque je ne peux que trop bien m'identifier à la philosophie du projet: promouvoir le plaisir de l'activité physique et aider à d'autres à sortir de situations difficiles et à oublier leurs souffrances grâce au sport. C'est un enrichissement pour moi et les autres de pouvoir collaborer dans ce cadre. Adolf Ogi a été très heureux de ma participation, et cela m'a fait très plaisir d'avoir l'honneur de faire sa connaissance.

De New York je me suis ensuite mis en route pour Houston pour avoir assez de temps pour me préparer. J'arrivais sur place une semaine avant le début du tournoi, puisqu'il me fallait du temps pour reprendre l'entraînement après ma blessure. Pendant les premiers jours, je m'entraînai de manière très dosée pour voir à quel point je pouvais charger et si je sentais encore des douleurs. Mais je sentis très vite que tout devrait bien se passer pour le lancement du Masters Cup - Quel soulagement! Je sentais tout de même beaucoup de pression sur moi, quand j'étais parti pour Houston: Premièrement je ne savais pas où je me situerais après ma blessure. Deuxièmement je devais maintenant prouver que j'avais mérité d'être en tête de la liste mondiale. Et troisièmement je ne voulais pas interrompre la série record de mes victoires contre les joueurs top ten du monde. Ce fût donc une grande satisfaction pour moi de pouvoir montrer d'aussi bonnes performances au Masters. Le jour de la finale
, la
pression redoubla encore: pourrais-je aussi prolonger la prodigieuse série de mes victoires de finales? Eh bien, vous connaissez le résultat. C'était simplement incroyable - une fin de saison parfaite! Même sans la victoire au Masters cela aurait déjà été une saison magnifique. Et seulement trois semaines auparavant, ma déchirure musculaire à Bâle m'aurait presque obligé à déclarer forfait! Om m'avait dit que je ne pourrais probablement pas participer au Masters. J'étais d'autant plus heureux de pouvoir me présenter à Houston - et même de le remporter!

Après Houston, le soleil des Maldives nous attendait, Mirka et moi, pour deux semaines de détente. C'étaient des vacances que j'avais sûrement méritées et que j'ai savourées. La seule question pour moi était, si j'aurais aussi droit à de telles vacances après une saison moins glorieuse!

Après mon retour en Suisse je passai quelques jours dans le cercle de ma famille et de mes amis. Ensuite je repartis pour Sydney, où je me préparai pendant dix jours pour la nouvelle saison avec Tony Roche. Pierre Paganini, mon entraîneur de condition, était aussi présent, ce qui rendit mon entraînement très intensif.

Ensuite je me mis en Route pour le proche Orient pour quelques jours de vacances. Je passai le réveillon en savourant un excellent repas en compagnie de Mirka et de quelques amis à Doha. Là aussi, j'étais donc arrivé avec une bonne avance et je pouvais me préparer de manière optimale. Je me sentais très bien pendant le tournoi et je trouvai un bon rythme dès le début. Je passais un agréable moment à Doha et je pus aussi me détendre - que se soit en traversant le désert en Quad ou tout simplement en savourant l'atmosphère exceptionnelle.
J'étais naturellement très heureux de pouvoir me lancer dans la nouvelle année de Tennis en remportant un tournoi.

Puis je me retrouvai, pour la deuxième fois en l'espace de quelques semaines, de nouveau en Australie. J'avais derrière moi l'un des plus longs voyages de ma carrière et cela avait été la première fois que j'avais passé les fêtes de fin d'année loin de chez moi. C'est pourquoi j'espérais pouvoir mobiliser assez d'énergie pour les tâches qui se présentaient à moi. J'abordai donc tranquillement le tournoi de Kooyong, ce qui explique sûrement aussi mes difficultés durant le premier tour. Toutefois, je me rattrapai dans les matchs suivants contre Tim Henman et Andy Roddick. La victoire du tournoi me confirma que j'étais parfaitement préparé à l'Australian Open.

Alors ça y était: après Wimbledon il s'agissait de défendre le prochain titre de Grand Chelem. Le premier tour me confrontait déjà avec une tâche difficile: je m'opposais à Fabrice Santoro. Il a beaucoup d'expérience de jeu, et j'avais de mauvais pressentiments avant la rencontre. Mais la partie fût étonnamment simple à jouer, et ce fût un excellent lancement. Je gagnai les matchs suivants de manière souveraine et la victoire très claire contre Andre Agassi me donna encore plus de confiance. Seules les douleurs au pied qui m'avaient déjà accompagnées depuis le début du tournoi me préoccupaient un peu. A part cela je me sentais très bien et me réjouissais de la rencontre avec Marat Safin en demi-finale. Le stade était complet pour le match de nuit, ce qui promettait une bonne atmosphère. Sur place nous nous sommes en effet livré un combat passionnant. Malheureusement, la douleur au pied augmentait toujours plus. J'essayais de le décharger par des mouvements de compensation - c
e qui
finit par causer des crampes dans le dos. A la balle de match j'ai malheureusement raté une grande chance de remporter la victoire, mais je continuai à me battre de toutes mes forces et je suis allé à la limite de mes forces malgré les douleurs. Grâce à ma grande volonté de gagner je retrouvai même mon jeu et j'avais presque réussi à retourner la veste. Mais cela aurait été vraiment trop demandé! A la fin mes efforts ne suffirent pas et Marat, qui avait montré un excellent jeu, sortit vainqueur de ce match et finalement du tournoi. La défaite fût d'abord lourde à encaisser. Finalement j'avais déjà perdu un match à Melbourne en 2002 après avoir perdu une balle de match - à l'époque contre Tommy Haas. Et en 2003 à la Coupe Davis contre Lleyton Hewitt, je n'avais pas pu remporter la victoire malgré avoir d'abord mené 2 sets à 0 et 5:3. J'avais donc déjà quelques souvenirs désagréables, ce qui ne me facilitait pas la chose aujourd'hui. Ma dernière défaite remontant aux Jeux Olymp
iques
d'Athènes, je me retrouvais dans une situation à laquelle je n'étais plus habitué. J'ai en tout cas beaucoup appris de cette expérience.

Mais il faut bien dire que je suis, en tout et pour tout, satisfait, et que je sais que j'ai tout donné dans ce match. Je reviendrai l'année prochaine, et, qui sait, peut-être qu'alors tout sera à nouveau parfait. Maintenant ce qui compte, c'est de réagir contre cette défaite et d'emporter l'élan de Doha et d'Australie dans la saison sur la terre battue!

Tony Roche

Dans le dernier Newsletter je vous avais déjà raconté que j'étais retourné à la maison après mon succès à Bangkok. Entre temps j'avais fait un arrêt à Dubai pour m'entraîner une première fois avec Tony Roche. Nous avons eu un bon temps ensemble et, pendant les quatre jours d'entraînement, j'ai pu absolument me persuader des qualités de Tony. Malheureusement je ne veux plus autant voyager, c'est pourquoi nous n'avons pas pu trouver d'accord pour travailler ensemble à longue échelle. Mais il m'a assuré que je pourrais travailler à fond avec lui en décembre à Sydney. Ce superbe cadeau de Noël m'a fait très plaisir. C'était un entraînement très dur, j'ai pu apprendre beaucoup de choses et faire des progrès. Tony m'accompagna aussi durant l'Australian Open et resta à mes côtés pendant tout le tournoi. Notre collaboration est très fructueuse pour moi et je me réjouis de son engagement futur. Nous passerons quelques semaines d'entraînement ensemble chaque année entre les périodes de
tournoi.

Solidarité internationale

La catastrophe en Asie du sud fût un grand choc pour moi et me préoccupe toujours encore beaucoup. C'est terrible de penser au nombre de personnes qui en souffrent. Ayant déjà découvert certaines des régions concernées, je me sens très touché par les événements et il m'est important de pouvoir contribuer au soulagement de la détresse. En outre de ma donation personnelle, je me suis engagé durant l'Australian Open dans le Nike Town à Melbourne. Je m'y suis retrouvé avec d'autres sportifs comme Cathy Freeman, James Blake et James Hird derrière un comptoir et j'ai pu défier les visiteurs dans un match de tennis de table. Chaque Dollar dépensé a été donné au World Vision Tsunami Relief Fund. Nous avons pu ainsi rassembler 100'000$, auxquels s'ajoutent du Matériel dans la même valeur contribué par Nike.
L'ATP a aussi beaucoup entrepris pour contribuer à cette cause. Elle a vendu aux enchères un set de raquettes signées par Andy Roddick, Lleyton Hewitt et moi même, et la vente aux enchères de vêtements et d'une raquette de Wimbledon et Houston en Australie nous a rapporté une autre grosse somme. Je trouve que la solidarité qu'autant de personnes et d'organisations ont montrée est un signe magnifique et encourageant.

Calendrier officiel

C'est incroyable: les derniers exemplaires de mon calendrier de fans 2005 viennent de quitter le dépôt. Et ceci bien que nous ayons augmenté les tirages de 50% par rapport à l'année dernière! Cela me fait vraiment plaisir de voir que vous aimez autant ce calendrier, et je voudrais vous remercier pour votre énorme soutien. Comme, par votre achat, vous soutenez la fondation Roger Federer, votre engagement finira aussi par rendre le sourire à de nombreux enfants africains - merci encore.

Chers amis du tennis, voilà que la pause entre les tournois touche déjà à sa fin. Ce fût une fois de plus une période très intéressante avec beaucoup de rendez-vous à côté des cours de tennis. L'un des meilleurs moments en aura sans doute été la remise de la "Caméra d'Or" à Berlin, dont je suis très fier. Me voilà plein d'énergie, et je me réjouis des tournois à venir.

À bientôt, bis bald, take care
Vôtre Roger

jtipson
02-14-2005, 04:48 PM
This has already been posted in the Fed Express forum, which is probably the better place for it ;)

Ash86
12-09-2013, 10:52 PM
Dear tennis fans

A terrific feeling still overcomes me when I look back at all my achievements in 2004. It was absolutely amazing to go soaring into such heights again after the low due to my injury in Basel. Not having been able to defend my title at the Australian Open this year and bringing an end to my long series of match wins and victories against top ten players certainly is painful. The expectations prior to the Australian Open were huge and I must say that I am pleased with the result. It is more the fact of not having been 100% fit that bothers me. In any case, I have experienced once again how little it takes to decide on who is to leave the court as a winner on this level - and especially at a Grand Slam.

I have definitely made a good start into the new season. The year has only just begun and there are plenty of important tournaments to focus on before the next Grand Slam. The fact that Tony Roche and myself can work together makes me feel very positive. It is interesting to learn from him and I am confident to be able to celebrate numerous further victories with his support. .....

My destination after New York was Houston where I arrived a week prior to the tournament. I felt that I needed to give myself enough time for moderate training after the injury. There were no complications whatsoever right from the start and I felt confident for the Tennis Masters Cup - what a relief! There was a lot at stake, after all: First of all I did not know at what level I would be able to play after my injury. Secondly the time had now come to prove that I merit being the world's number one tennis player. And last but not least I did not want my record-series of victories against top ten players to come to an end. And so it was an enormous satisfaction to show such solid performances at the Masters. Then, finally, the last big question arose before the final: would I be able to continue my series of tournament victories as well? Now we all know the answer. It was simply unbelievable - the perfect ending to an incredible season! Even without the title at the Masters it would have been a gigantic year. Only a couple of weeks further back it was uncertain whether I would be able to play in Houston at all. So being able to compete was already a bonus - not to mention taking home the title!

Ah - young innocent Roger. No idea of the real thorn in his side that was to properly emerge this year. ;) Funny how much like Pseudo Fed he sounds in this newsletter! He's managed to maintain that boyish enthusiasm for the sport 9 years on though which is really quite remarkable...

ClutchOnandWin
12-09-2013, 11:02 PM
I am gonna take the poster that bumped this thread as never having had a girlfriend.

www.matchfinder.com

http://www.matchmaker.com/

ProdigyEng
12-09-2013, 11:04 PM
Ash86 is a woman mate

Alex999
12-09-2013, 11:23 PM
Somehow I feel this is going to turn into another 'war' thread :scared:. strange bump. I think I know where Ash is going with this.

leng jai
12-09-2013, 11:41 PM
Well at least she's not even trying to be subtle anymore.

Han Solo
12-10-2013, 12:25 AM
FFS. Why did I even click on this and waste five minutes I could have spent reading a more recent press release thread from Ash86?

niff
12-10-2013, 12:29 AM
Ah - young innocent Roger. No idea of the real thorn in his side that was to properly emerge this year. ;) Funny how much like Pseudo Fed he sounds in this newsletter! He's managed to maintain that boyish enthusiasm for the sport 9 years on though which is really quite remarkable...
:cuckoo:

hipolymer
12-10-2013, 12:47 AM
Some things should remain in the past, like this thread.