Marat and Dinara... [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Marat and Dinara...

Tennis Fool
02-14-2005, 03:42 AM
Question:

Do you think that Marat's getting on Dinara's case at the AO (that she wasn't keeping up with the female "Russian Revolution") had any effect on her producing her best result, Gaz Open, and beating former #1 Amelie Mauresmo?

Do you think she has any potential of her brother (going top 5, say, in a couple of years?)

Eclectic Goddess
02-14-2005, 04:22 AM
Question:

Do you think that Marat's getting on Dinara's case at the AO (that she wasn't keeping up with the female "Russian Revolution") had any effect on her producing her best result, Gaz Open, and beating former #1 Amelie Mauresmo?

Do you think she has any potential of her brother (going top 5, say, in a couple of years?)
I doubt he's "getting on her case". In interviews, when he talks about her, he usually says that he stays out of her tennis life altogether and let's their mother worry about that.

As for whether or not she can be as good as Marat, I sort of doubt it. I think she could be very good, but if she had Marat's sort of natural ability, it would already be showing.

Still, I was happy to see her do so well. (Shame she beat Amelie, but I'm still happy.)

Tennis Fool
02-14-2005, 04:45 AM
I doubt he's "getting on her case". In interviews, when he talks about her, he usually says that he stays out of her tennis life altogether and let's their mother worry about that.

As for whether or not she can be as good as Marat, I sort of doubt it. I think she could be very good, but if she had Marat's sort of natural ability, it would already be showing.

Still, I was happy to see her do so well. (Shame she beat Amelie, but I'm still happy.)

Thanks for the response.

Regarding the "getting on her case", it is known that they had an argument over her performance at the AO.

Regarding her natural ability, I know girls tend to show their skills earlier then boys, but I think that compared to Marat at her age (19), she's about par. Remember, Myskina and Demen didn't really blossom until their early twenties.

Eclectic Goddess
02-14-2005, 04:50 AM
Regarding the "getting on her case", it is known that they had an argument over her performance at the AO.
Huh. I hadn't heard about that. Well, you might be right, then.

Kiara
02-14-2005, 06:00 AM
No. I think this has more to do with Dinara maturing as a person and a player, mom Safina staying out of her tennis life and her taking care of her body and staying injury free than Marat being an ass and slamming her in his press conference.

The things he said were really uncalled for, he could have given a simple answer to a straightforward question but he put the nastiest possible spin on it, as someone on the Marat forum said, Dinara idolizes Marat and it would have hurt her terribly to be publicly condemned by her brother...if what he said hit home then good for her, but I doubt we should be directly attributing Dinara's success to Marat's big mouth, give her some credit.

Dinara at 18 has achieved more than Marat at the same age,and even though she was an outstanding junior and what not, people made her a star way before her time. She was always more famous for being the sister of Marat Safin than for any of her personal achievements so it's nice to see her coming to her own and making a name for herself. I think in the long run she will have the better career even though she's not as talented as her brother, simply because she's more determined, is willing to work hard..and loves playing tennis.

tennischick
02-14-2005, 06:09 AM
i can't remember where i read it but i think that the Fool is right. a tad exaggerated for effect of course :angel: i don't there was any confrontation between bro and sis but Marat did hint at his frustration at her performance in one of his post-match interviews -- and only bec he was directly asked. the media have always asked him about Dinara and he has always been honest. i remember when she first came on the tour and faced Serena in one of her earliest matches and lost 0-6 1-6 -- Marat then said (when asked) that he was impressed that she had won a game off Serena. i also remember agreeing with him at the time. i don't remember him saying that she "wasn't keeping up with the Russian Revolution" specifically (perhaps the Fool can provide proof :devil: ) but i do remember him hinting at frustration at her lack of results.

i'm sure tonite he's proud...
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20050213/capt.gdf10602132120.france_tennis_gaz_de_france_gd f106.jpg

Dinara Safina, of Russia, shows her trophy after she beat Amelie Mauresmo, of France, at the end of their final match of the 13th Open Gaz de France tennis tournament at the Coubertin stadium in Paris, Sunday Feb. 13, 2005. Safina won, 6-4, 2-6, 6-3.

Kiara
02-14-2005, 06:25 AM
This is how Marat's brain works with regards to Dinara:

Dinara: "Normally when we talk about tennis he tells me:`you don't know how to play tennis!!'

Marat: "Becouse if I tell her that she is a good player she will think that she a big thing already!"

:lol:

Actually Marat played a large part in Dinara's tennis career even though he says he stays out of it, he was the one who mostly sponsored her when she was starting out and helped her get wc's into WTA events so no doubt he's proud of her...

She looks so cute and happy with her trophy, :yeah: Dinara!

MariaV
02-14-2005, 07:54 AM
Hi TF!!!
"In Melbourne the conditions were different. It was so hot, I was dying in the second set," she said, adding that a ticking off from big brother also helped.

"He was a bit angry with me. He told me "you don't fight'," said Safina.

"I'm going to tell him now "see I fight!'."

That's what she said after her win. :)

Leena
02-14-2005, 01:27 PM
I think it's more taking advantage of a pathetic draw.

Bovina, Molik, Safina... any scrub can win Tier 2's these days. WTA really needs to inject some talent, badly.

gsm
02-14-2005, 01:37 PM
leena , i would hate to meet you down a dark alley. :scared:

did you ever spend time in the military?

i have always thought that womens sports in general lack grunt , but what ya gunna do?

Riley Finn
02-14-2005, 01:47 PM
I would like to meet Leena in a dark alley.

perrygreen
02-14-2005, 02:00 PM
I don't think it's pure luck to have beat Amelie Mauresmo. Dinara will be a top 10 player in two years I guess.

girL_
02-14-2005, 02:37 PM
:yeah: wooohooo! dinara rocks! I guess it's a family trait - to beat the unbeatable... mauresmo is in a quite good shape now.... so Dinara is :yeah:
perrygreen I agree with u

Billabong
02-14-2005, 02:47 PM
;)

Carolinita
02-14-2005, 02:56 PM
it comes from family....Marat beat Hewitt at his own home...and now Dinara did the own thing with Mauresmo :devil:

JustmeUK
02-14-2005, 04:17 PM
I think he has some effect and who knows what else he would have said to her outwith the reported remarks in the press. What IS clear is that they have a close relationship and I think a genuine affection for each other. As for Marat being harsh, perhaps it reflects on his own growing maturity about what it takes to be at the top and I'm sure he would love to see his sister at the top of the WTA tour as well. And if we cannot be honest with ourselves and our family (and trust in the bonds that bind us) then who else can we be honest with?

jmp
02-14-2005, 04:32 PM
I think Dinara's win had more to do with Dinara than anything else. She's working and maturing. This was a great result for her. (Yay, Dinara!! :D ) I can't gauge how high she'll go in the rankings because I still see her as a work-in-progress. Physically, she seems to have all the tools to make the top 10.

I think Marat's AO comments were appropriate and honest. I believe in tough love. Dinara knows what it takes to be among the best as well. I'm very happy for her and I'm glad they have each other.

Nimomunz
02-15-2005, 01:48 AM
Dina was going to get up there sooner or later but i think marats words inspired her to prove him wrong and now he's gonna eat his words if i was dina iwould call him and rub it in i mean i know he has ao but thought you said i couldnt do it eh!!!!! :cool:

tall_one
02-15-2005, 03:24 AM
Question:

nope and nope

Dinara did well at this same tourney last year and had Serena not given her a walkover she probably would not have made it to the semis

Make it to the top 5 once in her career? probably. make a habit of staying there? i doubt it, she is too slow, her game lacks variety and her serve is too average for her to dominate people.

drf716
02-15-2005, 04:17 AM
they were also born on the 27th day of the month.
all i can say is playe mixed doubles syestra & brat!

Leena
02-15-2005, 04:19 AM
Dinara is still far away from being a Top 10 player...

Yes, a win over Amelie is impressive... even a struggling Amelie... but, Dinara is basically a cheap version of Bovina, who's a cheap version of Lindsay.

But, with the sorry state of women's tennis... Dinara could be a Top 5 player. Who else is there?

TennisLurker
02-15-2005, 04:26 AM
I only saw her once against Justine, and all I remember is her cow movement

*Viva Chile*
02-15-2005, 05:05 AM
I think it's too early for saying that Dinara would be a top player than Marat... If Dinara won more titles this year, like Tier I tournaments and a great performance in a Grand Slam, I just would think that she is able to do it.

liS@
02-15-2005, 06:18 AM
I don't know if bro and sis had an altercation but to back up Fool's assertions:

After his second-round win Wednesday at the Australian Open, Marat Safin took the opportunity at his post-match conference to publicly hammer his younger sister Dinara, who was up a set before getting rolled 6-1, 6-0 by Amelie Mauresmo:

"She has to make a lot of changes to be able to compete with all these kind of players, and to be able to do that, she needs to have a character and she needs to be a little bit of a grown-up woman. Of course, she is little bit young, and I know everything everybody is saying to her, 'She is still young, she has big future in front of her.' But I'm sorry, if you don't really understand yourself what's going on, it's a little bit difficult for somebody to fix it and explain it. Nobody's going to tell her what to do, she has to decide for herself, you know? It's my duty to help her, but if she doesn't want to listen...She has to grow up, be a little bit responsible for the things that she is doing and the decisions that she is taking. For some reason she cannot make any decisions; she needs somebody to explain her everything. It's a little bit sad to watch because I can see that she has great potential. She has a game, but she doesn't have this character like Sharapova has and Kuznetsova, Dementieva, Myskina, all the Russian girls. They're great players. What they are good at is that they have a character of fighters, of wanting to achieve something...There is no more charity for my sister. She has to learn the hard way. I think it's the way that everybody understands, I guess...It's just a little bit sad to see, to watch the train pass. And then she has to run away when I told her already 'Take this train, you know, like before it's gonna be too late.'"

Experimentee
02-15-2005, 01:00 PM
It was nothing to do with Marat. I think losing to Amelie made her more determined to win next time, and she was in good form in any case. Shes always been good indoors, and did well at this tournament last year too. And Amelie is always a headcase at home in big matches.

Elwing
02-15-2005, 01:18 PM
well he speaks as seriously commited to her sisters carreer so at the bottom and despite the fact that I don't think public hammering your sister is a good idea, he's helping her big time... I don't know how hard that hitted Dinaras but she fought for that tittle and well won it... :D

the cat
02-15-2005, 10:20 PM
I think Marat's public scolding of Dinara was the motivation and kick in the pants Dinara needed. And that helped her win Paris. But I don't think Dinara has the big time potential of her brother Marat. Nor do I think she has the potential of the top Russina's. Unlike her brother and the top Russina's Dinara lacks mobilty and that hurts her game when she has to play the better tennis players. The good players exploit Safina's lack of mobilty. But she could make the top 10 at some point in her career and that would be a fine achievement for Dinara. :)

Damita
02-15-2005, 10:58 PM
I'm not sure what he said has an influence on her results. She played this tourny twice, she played well each time. Dunnow, Marat has lots of fans in France, and so Dinara had some too even when she was younger, so maybe she feels good in Paris for that reason :rolleyes: ...
But maybe Marat's words played a little part in her success. What he said was pretty true actually, and truth hurts, especially from someone you love and admire. Plus, he didn't tell her in private, he spoke to the press. She said that wasn't a big deal, but maybe it hurted more than she dared to admit. And as he made the comments publically she would have been asked about that again and again by journos... in a way, winning this tournament (with the help of Serena's walkover) was the best answer she could come up with :)

As for the future of her career, i doubt she can be as good as Marat, for the reasons tall_one mentioned. But she could be very good tho. Last year she had a good start in the first months, and after the Open Gaz de France she was #28 or 29. Then she had some medium results, and an injury :sad: If she stays injury free and starts playing with more consistency (and fighting against the best players instead of winning a set and then choking) then she could win more titles and get better rankings. I hope she will...

tennischick
02-16-2005, 01:30 AM
Dinara's match against Mauresmo is on the Tennis Channel right now for those that subscribe. decide for yourselves ;)

Havok
02-16-2005, 02:24 AM
I highly doubt what Safin said had a huge impact on her and that's what caused her to win. She benefited from so much in winning the Open Gaz de France, what with Serena withdrawing before their QF showdown, Golovin choking up 5-3 30-0 in the third set, and then getting Mauresmo in the finals IN France. :retard: She definitely isn't good enough for top 5, nor 10 and not even 20 imo. She'll be a "solid" 30-20 player with odd tournament wins here and there.

tennischick
02-16-2005, 02:38 AM
Naldo did you actually see any of these matches? just curious.

personally i find Dinara very impressive. she is growing and learning as a player. she came into each match with a strategy that she executed. i don't know who her coach is but i am impressed with his work.

*Viva Chile*
02-16-2005, 02:57 AM
i don't know who her coach is but i am impressed with his work.

Dinara has a new swede coach called Lars Wahlgren, who knows Peter Lundgren (Marat's coach)... I heard time ago that Peter made contacts for a new coach for Dinara, and it must be he (also Marat always was in discord that her mother was her coach)

tennischick
02-16-2005, 03:05 AM
ah...gracias Viva Chile. no sabia eso. what i liked about her coach (Lars) is how calm he remains thruout her match. no hysterics. they seem like a good match up. she is a very talented girl IMO.

*Viva Chile*
02-16-2005, 03:13 AM
ah...gracias Viva Chile. no sabia eso. what i liked about her coach (Lars) is how calm he remains thruout her match. no hysterics. they seem like a good match up. she is a very talented girl IMO.

Sabes hablar español???? que raro, no recuerdo haberte visto en el foro en español :confused:

tennischick
02-16-2005, 03:35 AM
si, visito este foro pero no participo mucho porque no tengo mucha confianza en mi español. puede hallarme en la fila "Juego de los Opuestos" -- donde estoy aprendiendo muchas palabras nuevas, gracias a Jorge. :kiss:

Damita
02-17-2005, 10:20 PM
Dinara has a new swede coach called Lars Wahlgren, who knows Peter Lundgren (Marat's coach)... I heard time ago that Peter made contacts for a new coach for Dinara, and it must be he (also Marat always was in discord that her mother was her coach)
That was him, yes. They said it on French tv during the final. Peter and Lars are friends and it's Peter who called Lars for Dinara