Memphis/Rotterdam have same amount of points [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Memphis/Rotterdam have same amount of points

RickDaStick
02-13-2005, 07:08 PM
This is a joke. Look at the entry lists for the two tournaments. Memphis looks like a Challanger compared to Rotterdam yet they are worth the same amount of points.

Leena
02-13-2005, 07:09 PM
Memphis is a tournament with a rich tradition, and it's not their fault that many European players are scared to go there in the last handful of years.

ae wowww
02-13-2005, 07:16 PM
This is a joke. Look at the entry lists for the two tournaments. Memphis looks like a Challanger compared to Rotterdam yet they are worth the same amount of points.
It's weird! But I know some guys who couldn't get in Memphis, so had to go to Rotterdam...

Cervantes
02-13-2005, 07:47 PM
It's weird! But I know some guys who couldn't get in Memphis, so had to go to Rotterdam...

yeah right!!

I think it's a shame two ISG tournaments are held at the same time. Why don't they switch San Jose and Memphis? The ATP should plan the callender so there's only one ISG in a given week, cause this is just silly.

Looking at the entry list for both tournaments, Rotterdam has 5 top 10 players, Memphis only has Roddick. So clearly Rotterdam is by far the better tournament. Still Roddick will get the same amount of points as Federer if they both win.

The whole situation also makes it harder for the tournaments to get a good line up. For instance the tournament in Rotterdam will never get the top Americans cause they can get the same amount of points playing in their own country (playing a weaker tournament). Maybe (though probably not) Roddick would have come over if there wasn't another ISG in the US.

TheBoiledEgg
02-13-2005, 08:40 PM
Duck always plays the weaker event, wherever possible
and its always in the US :tape:

Rotterdam is the biggest indoor event apart from the TMS events, always star-studded.
at least Goon isnt playing with the wimps this yr.

ae wowww
02-13-2005, 09:03 PM
yeah right!!
Huh?

Billabong
02-13-2005, 09:04 PM
lol;)

heya
02-13-2005, 09:05 PM
Then again, stars like Dent, Ferrero, Hewitt, Ljubicic and Nalbandian won many big tournaments.
Federer and special treatment, rain delays + easy draws don't go together like hand in glove. We can't be unfair to genius players. Terrible suffering, indeed. :tears:

Cervantes
02-13-2005, 09:19 PM
Huh?

You said players had to enter Rotterdam cause Memphis was full. No way, Memphis sucks this year and they would have been delighted to have the Rotterdam field.

RickDaStick
02-13-2005, 09:24 PM

I hope you are not talking about your Jim Thomas. No one gives a crap about doubles so if he couldnt get into Memphis but could in Rotterdam who cares we are talking about singles here and im sure there isnt a single player who couldnt get into Memphis main draw but could in Rotterdam.

Leena
02-13-2005, 09:26 PM

Rotterdam is the biggest indoor event apart from the TMS events, always star-studded.
Andy is smart for playing Memphis.

Why can't Roger, all Euros, etc... play Memphis?

I think it would be smart to come to the US now, 2 weeks before Indian Wells?

ae wowww
02-13-2005, 09:45 PM
You said players had to enter Rotterdam cause Memphis was full. No way, Memphis sucks this year and they would have been delighted to have the Rotterdam field.
Yeah, I'm talking doubles. And its the truth-they wanted to play Memphis, but settled for Rotterdam.. if you get the same points, you're likely to want them easier, rather than have to beat the best?

I hope you are not talking about your Jim Thomas. No one gives a crap about doubles so if he couldnt get into Memphis but could in Rotterdam who cares we are talking about singles here and im sure there isnt a single player who couldnt get into Memphis main draw but could in Rotterdam.
LMFAO :lol: you crack me up mate! "I hope you're not..." No-one gives a crap about doubles... are you on pms or something, there is absolutely no need for that? Obviously I am interested in doubles if I'm posting about it... We're not nec talking singles, no-one specified that, and that is NOT the title of the post/forum/board. This is mens tennis, and whether you like it, that includes doubles. Sort yourself out ffs.

Scotso
02-13-2005, 10:15 PM
Silly.

joeb_uk
02-13-2005, 11:29 PM
Andy is smart for playing Memphis.

Why can't Roger, all Euros, etc... play Memphis?

I think it would be smart to come to the US now, 2 weeks before Indian Wells?
because federer would tear the event apart, why play in crappy standard tournaments? but then again, andy is one of the guys who loves to play in the weaker events just because they are in the usa

Scotso
02-14-2005, 12:12 AM
... and since Americans aren't usually very knowledgable tennis fans, they will worship him for defeating a field of juniors, jokers and journeymen.

Havok
02-14-2005, 12:31 AM
In all seriousness, it would be a wise decision for some players to play Memphis. You don't lose any amount of points because they offer the same amount of points. Might as well play in the US since IW and Miami are coming up soon. The Rotterdam field isn't as "star studden" as some people in this thread made it out to be, though obviously the field is much tougher than Memphis. Oh well the other players' loss.:p

TheBoiledEgg
02-14-2005, 03:12 AM
the big players will be heading of to Dubai next week, thats all the acclimitisation they need for Indian Wells.

desert, heat and dry air.

dukeblue5
02-14-2005, 03:22 AM
... and since Americans aren't usually very knowledgable tennis fans, they will worship him for defeating a field of juniors, jokers and journeymen.

Why is that his fault?

I would be proud to stay in my country and play in tournaments there. Plus he probably doesn't wanna travel before the IW/Miami stretch.

tangerine_dream
02-14-2005, 03:25 AM
Sounds to me like all the uber-talented European players are afraid of playing Kid Roddick.

That's why they're staying across the pond, where it's safe. :)

Golfnduck
02-14-2005, 03:28 AM
Sounds to me like all the uber-talented European players are afraid of playing Kid Roddick.

Yeah, I wouldn't want to travel all the way over to Europe for a week just to turn around and fly right back. It is more convient to play in Europe if you are already there.

Leena
02-14-2005, 03:30 AM
the big players will be heading of to Dubai next week, thats all the acclimitisation they need for Indian Wells.

desert, heat and dry air.
Or, stay in the US and not travel as much.

I like that option better.

Andy's schedule is smart.

WyveN
02-14-2005, 05:10 AM
Players always prefer to play as close to home as possible or on surfaces that suit their game.
That is why most of the European guys are in Rotterdam, most of the good claycourters in Brazil and most of the Americans in Memphis. No one is scared of anyone, except Coria ;)

CooCooCachoo
02-14-2005, 06:23 AM

Actually, Rotterdam is the biggest indoor event :p Including TMS events. When it comes to the number of visitors, that is.

CooCooCachoo
02-14-2005, 06:24 AM

No one gives a crap about doubles? :rolleyes: :retard:

CooCooCachoo
02-14-2005, 06:26 AM
Yeah, I'm talking doubles. And its the truth-they wanted to play Memphis, but settled for Rotterdam.. if you get the same points, you're likely to want them easier, rather than have to beat the best?

LMFAO :lol: you crack me up mate! "I hope you're not..." No-one gives a crap about doubles... are you on pms or something, there is absolutely no need for that? Obviously I am interested in doubles if I'm posting about it... We're not nec talking singles, no-one specified that, and that is NOT the title of the post/forum/board. This is mens tennis, and whether you like it, that includes doubles. Sort yourself out ffs.

I don't think you are very fair with using what Jim said to you. He said that he could get into Rotterdam, with Robbie. He could not get in with Jordan, but he also couldn't get in Rotterdam with Jordan. If we see the last direct acceptance for doubles teams in both tournaments, I think you will see little difference.

CooCooCachoo
02-14-2005, 06:28 AM
In all seriousness, it would be a wise decision for some players to play Memphis. You don't lose any amount of points because they offer the same amount of points. Might as well play in the US since IW and Miami are coming up soon. The Rotterdam field isn't as "star studden" as some people in this thread made it out to be, though obviously the field is much tougher than Memphis. Oh well the other players' loss.:p

Rotterdam is known to the players as one of the best organized events. They always like it and love to come back. That is something Memphis doesn't have. Why else do you think Dent would not play in Memphis, a tournament he previously won, but plays in Rotterdam instead?

CooCooCachoo
02-14-2005, 06:28 AM

:tape: :rolls:

Yes, Roddick is much scarier to play than Roger.

jtipson
02-14-2005, 08:39 AM
It's a pity about these two tournaments being the same week. I don't think it's fair to expect the European (and other) players to go to the US to prepare for IW yet; first because, as Eggy mentioned, there's a big tournament in Dubai next week (which even Agassi is flying out especially for), and secondly because there is Davis Cup the week after which means plenty of players will be flying elsewhere.

ae wowww
02-14-2005, 05:56 PM
No one gives a crap about doubles?
The guy's talking out his ass-He apologized like 2 seconds later.

I don't think you are very fair with using what Jim said to you. He said that he could get into Rotterdam, with Robbie. He could not get in with Jordan, but he also couldn't get in Rotterdam with Jordan. If we see the last direct acceptance for doubles teams in both tournaments, I think you will see little difference.
Sorry if I'm being "unfair" lol... Can you not put all the quotes into one post mate, instead of using 4??