Andy Roddick's run in San Jose defines greatness. [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Andy Roddick's run in San Jose defines greatness.

Leena
02-13-2005, 07:37 PM
Because he's obviously not playing his best tennis by far, and he's still winning.

That's the real sign of a champion.

Andy's game is so dominating, that he can be way off his game and still beat 99% of the tour. I respect Andy for fighting through this difficult period and perservering like the champion that he is.

Scotso
02-13-2005, 07:38 PM
yeah, a top 3 player not playing their best and beating the #546 ranked player sure is a sign of greatness.

vaiva
02-13-2005, 08:04 PM
Absolutely definitely. They should spare the trouble rigging the RG draw and stuffing his section with all those horrible dirtballers. Even if he loses early, he should be awarded the trophy for his amazing fight through the difficult times and his spirit of a true champion. Oh, Andy :hearts:

KBF :help:

Coleburg83
02-13-2005, 08:13 PM
"#546 ranked player"

Haas is #17, Enqvist is #75, Lee is #58 and Goldstein in the first round was #161

I'm not sure where you got that from.

federer express
02-13-2005, 08:15 PM
Because he's obviously not playing his best tennis by far, and he's still winning.

That's the real sign of a champion.

Andy's game is so dominating, that he can be way off his game and still beat 99% of the tour. I respect Andy for fighting through this difficult period and perservering like the champion that he is.

tongue-in-cheek i'm guessing

adeegee
02-13-2005, 08:18 PM
i like andy but why's he complaining that he's tired he's barely played this year, i know he had the davis cup final but he had a bit of a break after that

the cat
02-13-2005, 08:40 PM
Leena, I can tell when you're being a bit sarcastic and you are with this thread. ;) And Vaiva is being very sarcastic. :rolleyes:

Golfnduck
02-13-2005, 08:42 PM
Leena :lol:

LiZpHaIr
02-13-2005, 08:49 PM
"#546 ranked player"

Haas is #17, Enqvist is #75, Lee is #58 and Goldstein in the first round was #161

Oh yes!

These wins must highlight Andy's career. So amazing! :rolleyes:

Coleburg83
02-13-2005, 08:50 PM
It's not bad at all for a bottom tier event.

Carito_90
02-13-2005, 08:53 PM
i like andy but why's he complaining that he's tired he's barely played this year, i know he had the davis cup final but he had a bit of a break after that

I don't think has :confused: Or maybe I just haven't read it yet.

Frooty_Bazooty
02-13-2005, 08:57 PM
"#546 ranked player"

ok, but take somewhere like Rotterdam this week. Nalbandian for example could have to play Stepanek, Ferrero, Joachim, Coria and then Federer to win the title (which he will). there's no comparison in t quality of t fields

Coleburg83
02-13-2005, 09:00 PM
Rotterdam is a bigger event and there is lots of different variables.

I'm just saying that for an event like San Jose, it's not a bad run at all.

ca1houn
02-13-2005, 09:02 PM

That's the real sign of a champion. :eek:

Leena :haha: yeah right champion that a stretch, since the only big Title he’s one after 2003 was Miama

Golfnduck
02-13-2005, 09:04 PM

That's the real sign of a champion. :eek:

I agree with you. He does need to step up his game though. His confidence is still down this year, but if he wins San Jose, it should help a little.

Nimomunz
02-13-2005, 09:29 PM
Oh poor Andy :sad: i think that its a nice bounce back :bounce: from that horrid SF against Hewitt!!!!!

TheBoiledEgg
02-13-2005, 09:29 PM
he hasnt won yet
there's still Cyril to shoot him down :tape:

Cervantes
02-13-2005, 09:32 PM
Go Cyril, go Cyril :dance: :dance:

robinhood
02-13-2005, 11:29 PM
Good for Andy for powering through the draw without playing his best tennis. He's really got to raise his confidence right now. I expect to see a competitive match against Saulnier.

Human Washington
02-14-2005, 12:10 AM
Andy Roddick is so average. He's all serve and no game. Surely he will fade down the rankings soon enough. A tournament win where you only have to defeat GOldsteiin, Lee, Enqvist, Haas and Saulnier doesn't sound like battling past bad form to greatness I'm sorry. Goldstein is a challenger level player. Lee is up and down at the best of times. Enqvist is way too past it to beat someone so young and fit as Roddick. Haas is yet to win anything significant since returning to the game from ages away from playing at this level and Saulnier is 29 and still hasn't won a singles title. Greatness??

joeb_uk
02-14-2005, 12:15 AM
Andy Roddick is so average. He's all serve and no game. Surely he will fade down the rankings soon enough. A tournament win where you only have to defeat GOldsteiin, Lee, Enqvist, Haas and Saulnier doesn't sound like battling past bad form to greatness I'm sorry. Goldstein is a challenger level player. Lee is up and down at the best of times. Enqvist is way too past it to beat someone so young and fit as Roddick. Haas is yet to win anything significant since returning to the game from ages away from playing at this level and Saulnier is 29 and still hasn't won a singles title. Greatness??
Yep very true, although i do think beating haas is a very good result :yeah: but the others arent impressive. San jose is a really weak event though, with very little strength.

Leena
02-14-2005, 12:17 AM
Blah blah blah blah.

Andy's the best! :)

joeb_uk
02-14-2005, 12:18 AM
He sure is, and thats why he is the number one loved player on tour! everything about this guy is so great isnt it?

Nimomunz
02-14-2005, 02:41 AM
Blah blah blah blah.

Andy's the best! :)

Amen!! Why do people just not like him? :confused:

Becarina
02-14-2005, 02:49 AM
He sure is, and thats why he is the number one loved player on tour! everything about this guy is so great isnt it?

You are right! Andy is the best!

Riley Finn
02-14-2005, 09:13 AM
Now onto title #2! Be the undisputed Micky Mouse King!

Mimi
02-14-2005, 09:25 AM
he still needs to have more wins over Roger/Safin/Hewitt to prove his greatness :p

Paialii
02-14-2005, 12:45 PM
Heh. People keep saying that the field needs to be tougher for the tournament to give him credit; last time I checked, he doesn't control the draw and who enters the tournament. If people like Federer, Hewitt, Safin and whoever else don't enter the same tournament as Roddick, that's their decision. You guys are acting like he's avoiding the stiffer competition. Who knows, if he didn't have a title to defend, he may not have gone there and went to somewhere in Europe instead.

If you guys are going to bring up lower-ranked players, mind I bring up the Olympics with Federer and who he lost to? I'm usually not one to bring up previous matches in spite, however people just don't seem to understand that a win is a win. As Federer found out, it can be tougher to play a lower-ranked player than a higher ranked player. When you're seeded lower and you're playing a big shot, your instinct is to go for broke. If you're on your game, you just might pull a win off.

Congrats again to Andy for winning the SAP title. To those still complaining, go do something more productive with your time, like playing in the street. A win is a win.

star
02-14-2005, 01:05 PM
Nah. Andy's going to play in the U.S. if there's a tournament available for him. I don't blame him. I think most of the guys like to play closer to home (cept for Coria and Nalbandian ;) ) if that's a possibility. And then he has to consider ranking points too.

Anyway :lol: at the title.

Maybe he can beat 90% of the guys on the tour not playing his best tennis. ;)

Riley Finn
02-14-2005, 01:05 PM
a win is a win, that's why Andy Roddick 16, Marat Safin 15. Andy Roddick > Marat Safin!

Kiara
02-14-2005, 01:55 PM
Thomas Enqvist 19, Andy Roddick 16. Thomas Enqvist > Andy Roddick! :banana:

rofl @vaiva's post :lol:

Leena
02-14-2005, 01:57 PM
Andy also plays the US due to a strong sense of pride for the US tennis scene.

Like he said in his CHAMPIONSHIP CEREMONY, Andy received a WC to San Jose when he was 18. So, now he's giving back by sharing his extreme star power with the wonderful crowd in San Jose.

Besides, what else is he going to play this week? Marsailles? Lolz... why should he do that? San Jose is a tournament with more history. Who cares if all the Euros want to play with themselves?

Andy isn't playing Houston this year, btw. So, the "Duck onlee playz Mickey Mouse tournies LOLZ2005" garbage can end.

Action Jackson
02-14-2005, 01:58 PM
This tournament victory is well on the way to defining Andy's legendary status within the game.

Leena
02-14-2005, 02:01 PM
This tournament victory is well on the way to defining Andy's legendary status within the game.
Looking at the former champions of this fine tournament, I believe that is true. :)

Riley Finn
02-14-2005, 02:01 PM
Thomas Enqvist 19, Andy Roddick 16. Thomas Enqvist > Andy Roddick! :banana:

WORD!

Action Jackson
02-14-2005, 02:04 PM
I refuse to believe Roddick won't play Houston until the day of the tournament beginning and he doesn't take his place in the field and only then I'll be convinced.

They need him to sell tickets and he needs the practice on that surface as he has better chances of winning matches.

Leena
02-14-2005, 02:06 PM
I refuse to believe Roddick won't play Houston until the day of the tournament beginning and he doesn't take his place in the field and only then I'll be convinced.

They need him to sell tickets and he needs the practice on that surface as he has better chances of winning matches.
As the #2 seed probably for the Euro TMS series events... at least QF's in those tournaments is highly probable.

Action Jackson
02-14-2005, 02:07 PM
No, I can't talk seriously with you, it hurts my stomach too much and that is why I can't reply to that last post.

Riley Finn
02-14-2005, 02:07 PM
Marat Safin will be #2 seed after his unbeatable run on hardcourts!

jtipson
02-14-2005, 02:09 PM
As the #2 seed probably for the Euro TMS series events... at least QF's in those tournaments is highly probable.

Number two seed didn't help him much last year. I doubt being seeded third or fourth will assist him too much this time around either.

Anyway, I think your thread was meant rather lightheartedly....you seem to have a big stirring spoon in GM these days ;)

Leena
02-14-2005, 02:13 PM
We'll see.

Andy seems to be taking the clay season with much more care this year.

I don't care what the surface is, or who the opponent is: Andrew serves well. Andrew wins.

Riley Finn
02-14-2005, 02:17 PM
Anyway, I think your thread was meant rather lightheartedly....

NO WAY!

TheMightyFed
02-14-2005, 02:35 PM
I don't care what the surface is, or who the opponent is: Andrew serves well. Andrew wins.
Fed-Roddick H2H :nerner: :nerner: :nerner:
2004 Bangkok, Hard, F
Thailand Hard F Federer 6 4 6 0
2004 Canada AMS, Hard, F
Toronto, Canada Hard F Federer 7 5 6 3
2004 Wimbledon, Grass, F
England Grass F Federer 4 6 7 5 7 6 6 4
2003 Tennis Masters Cup, Hard, S
Houston, TX, USA Hard S Federer 7 6 6 2
2003 Canada TMS, Hard, S
Montreal, Canada Hard S Roddick 4 6 6 3 6 7
2003 Wimbledon, Grass, S
England Grass S Federer 7 6 6 3 6 3
2002 Basel, Carpet, Q
Switzerland Carpet Q Federer 7 6 6 1
2002 Sydney, Hard, S
Australia Hard S Federer 7 6 6 4
2001 Basel, Carpet, Q
Switzerland Carpet Q Federer 3 6 6 3 7 6

Action Jackson
02-14-2005, 02:39 PM
Well Andrew is a combined 3-18 against Federer, Hewitt and Agassi.

That needs to be addressed, though with the amount of tournaments he wins in North America, that will be a great achievement, but yes he is on his way to all-time greatness.

TheMightyFed
02-14-2005, 02:44 PM
Well Andrew is a combined 3-18 against Federer, Hewitt and Agassi.

That needs to be addressed, though with the amount of tournaments he wins in North America, that will be a great achievement, but yes he is on his way to all-time greatness.
Do you really think he can achieve that with a bunch of crappy US tournies ? I hope the BH is fixed when the serve slows down, otherwise...
In tennis history, to whom could we compare Rod-dick ? ;)

ca1houn
02-14-2005, 05:13 PM
Heh. People keep saying that the field needs to be tougher for the tournament to give him credit; last time I checked, he doesn't control the draw and who enters the tournament. If people like Federer, Hewitt, Safin and whoever else don't enter the same tournament as Roddick, that's their decision. You guys are acting like he's avoiding the stiffer competition. Who knows, if he didn't have a title to defend, he may not have gone there and went to somewhere in Europe instead.

If you guys are going to bring up lower-ranked players, mind I bring up the Olympics with Federer and who he lost to? I'm usually not one to bring up previous matches in spite, however people just don't seem to understand that a win is a win. As Federer found out, it can be tougher to play a lower-ranked player than a higher ranked player. When you're seeded lower and you're playing a big shot, your instinct is to go for broke. If you're on your game, you just might pull a win off.

Congrats again to Andy for winning the SAP title. To those still complaining, go do something more productive with your time, like playing in the street. A win is a win.

Yes a win is a win but let not over compensated Roddick for winning a shitty tournament
About playing in the street I think I will shoot some hoops I live in a quarter sack very safe

boliviana
02-14-2005, 06:09 PM
I don't think one tournament - for anyone - defines greatness. He has a long way to go. They all do including Fed . . . the last thing Andy needs is more pressure on him to score big in every tournament. He has a lot to work in his game. Serve or not, the depth of his game is just not there all the time and he has to really want it. He has to be out there for the right reason, whatever his right reason is. Consistency is the hallmark of greatness.

Action Jackson
02-14-2005, 06:30 PM
It's obvious how great Andy is, he is almost as great as Sampras.

Riley Finn
02-14-2005, 06:32 PM
and Gaudio is almost as great as Borg.

Action Jackson
02-14-2005, 06:41 PM
Come on it's obvious that in the future that Andy will surpass Sampras be remembered as one of the game's living legends and is fame in the sporting world will be able to reach Maradona like around the world for his ability, and not because of Beckham like marketing.

Riley Finn
02-14-2005, 06:47 PM
Won't protest. It's also obvious that Gaudio will win 8 straight FOs!

Action Jackson
02-14-2005, 06:49 PM
No protest it's the inevitable with the global Roddick show. He will have 70, 000 at his training session the power to stop wars just to watch his tennis, you know this Riley.

There is slight doubt about Gaudio win 8 straight RGs though!

Riley Finn
02-14-2005, 06:52 PM
Imagine that 70,000 dicks in one place. Paradise for Chloe!

Yeah,I was too confident with that Gaudio case...he'll win only 7.

Foxy Smile
02-14-2005, 06:56 PM
You're right! Gaudio wont win 8 RGs (6 max). But at the same time he also win 5 Ws.

Action Jackson
02-14-2005, 07:01 PM
Imagine that 70,000 dicks in one place. Paradise for Chloe!

Yeah,I was too confident with that Gaudio case...he'll win only 7.

70,000 fans just salivating for the future great of the sport and Chloe would be in her element.

Yes, 7 RGs is more realistic.

*Viva Chile*
02-14-2005, 08:02 PM
We'll see.

Andy seems to be taking the clay season with much more care this year.

The serve is not most important when it plays on Clay, and is this what Andy not yet manages to understand. If he wants to be a great one of tennis, he would have to win Roland Garros or some TMS on Clay. Not only MM events.

tangerine_dream
02-14-2005, 09:13 PM
The serve is not most important when it plays on Clay, and is this what Andy not yet manages to understand. If he wants to be a great one of tennis, he would have to win Roland Garros or some TMS on Clay. Not only MM events.
He does understand that his serve is neutralized on the clay but he can't just stop hitting power serves because that's his style of play.

What he really needs to learn is more *patience*. When he gets frustrated, he rushes. When he gets angry, he hits harder. None of these tactics work on clay. When he learns that it's ok to camp out on the baseline for a few strokes and wait it out a bit, he'll do better, methinks.

He made it to the second round last year. His next baby step goal should be to make it to the third round. If he's feeling really ambitious, to make it to the QFs. ;)

Fumus
02-14-2005, 09:28 PM
The top tennis players say to themselves every year...

I want to win San Jose first and foremost and then Wimbledon if I have time. ;)

heya
02-14-2005, 10:36 PM
You've got to be a stud muffin, 1st and foremost. It's not easy being from the USA.
Dicky's tennis hobby brought out high expectations from the lovely trolls. :confused: :o

Sampras is great. Don't mention clay. Ya hear?

Riley Finn
02-14-2005, 10:47 PM
70,000 fans just salivating for the future great of the sport and Chloe would be in her element.

After all it's Chloe the Saliva Girl!

Fumus
02-14-2005, 10:53 PM
You've got to be a stud muffin, 1st and foremost. It's not easy being from the USA.

Well thank you... :o