Joachim Johansson has the best serve on tour! [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Joachim Johansson has the best serve on tour!

RaVeR
02-13-2005, 05:04 PM
definitly :bowdown: :bolt:

Leena
02-13-2005, 05:08 PM
Andy RODDICK has something to say about that.

RickDaStick
02-13-2005, 05:09 PM
Joachim is Andy Roddick but just with a better overall game and a better feature.

Action Jackson
02-13-2005, 05:13 PM
Pim Pim is the Swedish Roddick in game style, but a more likeable version, this doesn't mean he is any more interesting to watch.

palmstrike
02-13-2005, 05:21 PM
his serve is very good indeed. it'd be interesting to see how he fares against federer.

adeegee
02-13-2005, 05:31 PM
Joachim is Andy Roddick but just with a better overall game and a better feature.

what a ridiculous statement. i think you'll find roddick is younger by about half a year and has achieved a ridiculous amount more than johansson...15 career titles to 3 (probably 16 after tonight), 1 grand slam win, 1 grand slam final defeat and 8 times as much prize money.

erik-the-red
02-13-2005, 05:33 PM
I think Johansson's serve is better than Roddick's.

He can create more ridiculous angles. Moreover, due to his height, his serve is <i>heavier</i>.

TheMightyFed
02-13-2005, 05:42 PM
PimPim sucks ;)

joeb_uk
02-13-2005, 05:44 PM
Pim Pim is the Swedish Roddick in game style, but a more likeable version, this doesn't mean he is any more interesting to watch.
Exactly right :yeah:

Leena
02-13-2005, 06:01 PM
Karlovic also has a say in this. :p

He doesn't have quite the speed that Pim Pim's has, but he can create even more crazy angles.

Action Jackson
02-13-2005, 06:07 PM
Honestly I would say it would be between Pim Pim and Karlovic. The difference is that Pim Pim at least has an effective groundstroke that can help him break serve, that's the main reason as to where they are in the rankings.

Aleksa's Laydee
02-13-2005, 06:13 PM

and a better attitude ;)

Joachim :bowdown:

Nimomunz
02-13-2005, 06:25 PM
regardless of recent defeats or successes roddick has the best serve hands down :worship: now everything else therers the prob!!

Leena
02-13-2005, 06:31 PM
Honestly I would say it would be between Pim Pim and Karlovic. The difference is that Pim Pim at least has an effective groundstroke that can help him break serve, that's the main reason as to where they are in the rankings.
Honestly, as in heavily biased.

Action Jackson
02-13-2005, 06:33 PM

How was that heavily biased, are you bored again?

Andrew.
02-13-2005, 06:34 PM
Unlike Ivo, PimPim doesn't just hold serve and hope to get lucky on return in order to win. He actually has a capable ground game that will do it for him.

Leena
02-13-2005, 06:36 PM
How was that heavily biased, are you bored again?
How can you say that Andy's serve isn't comparable?

Leena
02-13-2005, 06:37 PM
Unlike Ivo, PimPim doesn't just hold serve and hope to get lucky on return in order to win. He actually has a capable ground game that will do it for him.
I'm well aware of that.

Action Jackson
02-13-2005, 06:40 PM
How can you say that Andy's serve isn't comparable?

Considering I have gone on record and said Karlovic's serve is the best on tour and Pim Pim's is pushing it at the moment and maybe surpassed, there isn't a need to mention Roddick's serve in this particular case and actually haven't mentioned him in this thread in relation to serve.

Leena
02-13-2005, 06:42 PM
Considering I have gone on record and said Karlovic's serve is the best on tour and Pim Pim's is pushing it at the moment and maybe surpassed, there isn't a need to mention Roddick's serve in this particular case and actually haven't mentioned him in this thread in relation to serve.
You hate Andy because he exudes confidence and sexiness like no other player on tour.

Action Jackson
02-13-2005, 06:44 PM
You hate Andy because he exudes confidence and sexiness like no other player on tour.

You exude silliness unlike many others, but it's still entertaining.

star
02-13-2005, 06:48 PM
I'd say it's between Andy and Pim Pim. I like both of them, but for right now, Andy has the better return game. I say this because Andy breaks his opponents more often than does Joachim. Pim is coming along though and I'm hoping for great things from him. He's developing a more competitive attitude, gaining confidence, and moving better too.

I hope he heeds Mats advice about caring for his body.

Leena
02-13-2005, 06:53 PM
You exude silliness unlike many others, but it's still entertaining.
Maybe.

And join WOOT.

Action Jackson
02-13-2005, 07:03 PM
Maybe.

And join WOOT.

I'll join in the clay season.

Leena
02-13-2005, 07:04 PM
I'll join in the clay season.
Acapulco is played during the 1st week. Followed by Brazil, the following week.

And I changed Indian Wells and Miami to Green Clay tournaments.

I'll put you down for GAUDIO then.

Action Jackson
02-13-2005, 07:06 PM
Acapulco is played during the 1st week. Followed by Brazil, the following week.

And I changed Indian Wells and Miami to Green Clay tournaments.

I'll put you down for GAUDIO then.

I thought it was one tournament a week and actually I wasn't going to use him as my player.

TheBoiledEgg
02-13-2005, 07:07 PM
Pim Pim :yeah: he definately has the best serve :)

Leena
02-13-2005, 07:07 PM
I thought it was one tournament a week and actually I wasn't going to use him as my player.
I changed to 2 tournaments a week (for non-MS and GS weeks) due to the overwhelming popularity of the game.

User id 7816
02-13-2005, 07:09 PM

I back this, but yes he and Federer have the best serves I think.

wipeout
02-13-2005, 07:34 PM
Marat's serve is impressive too for how rarely he double faults even under pressure.

7 DF's in the entire Aussie Open seven match title run. 99 aces as well.

Bilbo
02-13-2005, 07:48 PM
You mean best serve of all time. ;)

Black Adam
02-13-2005, 08:30 PM
A commenatator said that Roddick hits more Aces than Pim Pim And Karlovic because he wins and plays more matches......He also said that Roddick has more service winners than Aces so if you are looking for the best serve.....the real question is what do you really Call the best serve?
Karlovic holds more easily than anybody else on all surfaces ;) All those angles :eek:
Roddick holds well on all surfaces( not on clay) depending that he doesn't Brain Fart. :o
Federer holds well despite not having lots of aces and serve speed but a game backed with a strong all round game :worship: Could also add Marat on this one
Pim Pim and Scud hold well when they are on fire
So If The best serve is about holding Easily on all surfaces it goes to Karlovic
If its about Speed it goes to Roddick, Followed by Dent and Greg
If its About Brutal Power and consistently hitting with that Power it goes to Pim Pim

Decide ;)

Poljud
02-13-2005, 09:18 PM
Karlovic has the best serve.

Joachim has made unbelievable progress, full credit to him. I was in Adelaide before the next generation championships, and Joachim practiced like crazy. He has now broken into the top 10 and fully deserves it. I remember seeing him as a lanky young qualifier in 2004 who didnt get into the main draw, hes now one of the best on tour.

tennisman.
02-13-2005, 10:22 PM
Roddick has better serve

TennisLurker
02-14-2005, 12:23 AM
I think Andy has better groundies than Pim Pim, and I find Andy a bit more entertaining too.

But it is like choosing the sixth level of hell over the seventh level of hell.

JustmeUK
02-14-2005, 12:50 AM
I think Andy has better groundies than Pim Pim, and I find Andy a bit more entertaining too.

But it is like choosing the sixth level of hell over the seventh level of hell.

And this must be one of the candidates for the quote of the year on this board :D.

I've always found big servers (backed by big effective forehand) to be fairly boring to watch. The exception is Goran of course :) who made it entertaining despite his big serve.

Bilbo
02-14-2005, 12:59 AM
I've always found big servers (backed by big effective forehand) to be fairly boring to watch. The exception is Goran of course :) who made it entertaining despite his big serve.

That's the good thing about tennis, the different techniques not like in football where all players are the same.

heya
02-14-2005, 01:30 AM
The minority likes arrogant players who barely get through matches, even when they play their best. Without the fast footwork and great fitness, the player is helpless. Serve, defensive back hand, serve, back hand...:yawn:

foul_dwimmerlaik
02-14-2005, 07:23 PM

But it is like choosing the sixth level of hell over the seventh level of hell.LOL, exactly.

Scotso
02-14-2005, 08:45 PM
Andy is better mentally.

But Joachim's serve IS better. Fact.

Fumus
02-14-2005, 09:17 PM
C'mon guys the best serve in tennis is either Schaulken's or Coria's...hands down...don't look at the stats last year with the most aces on tour(Roddick), or who had the highest percentage of service games won (Roddick)...this about what a couple people think about the serve and I think Sjeng Schaulken and Coria have the best serves...seriously...;)

Scotso
02-14-2005, 10:36 PM
don't look at the stats last year with the most aces on tour(Roddick), or who had the highest percentage of service games won (Roddick)...

Neither of which mean he has the best serve on tour. You can hit 1000 aces, but if you double fault 4000 times, it doesn't mean much.

Also, you can hold a lot of service games even if you have a shitty serve.

Fumus
02-14-2005, 11:00 PM
Neither of which mean he has the best serve on tour. You can hit 1000 aces, but if you double fault 4000 times, it doesn't mean much.

Also, you can hold a lot of service games even if you have a shitty serve.

You can also dance, sing and take alot of bathroom brakes and not have the best serve on tour...ya know that too right? :o

Oh yea, Johansson serve is soo great, cuz he won so many titles with it. Yea he set a record with it but he didn't even the win that match, so yea, how good is that? How does one measure a serves greatness? If not the speed well that goes to Roddick, If not the number of aces last year well that goes to Roddick, if not the percentage of points won on first and second serve...Roddick. But, I get it, Johannson's is better because he's a big tall oaf. :)

blosson
02-14-2005, 11:20 PM
when Pim Pim gets to his 16th career title including at least one slam and at least 3 masters then we start the comparisons...until then, Andy is the winner.

Scotso
02-15-2005, 03:16 AM
"Yea he set a record with it but he didn't even the win that match, so yea, how good is that?"

Winning a match takes more than a serve on most occasions. Johansson played that match awfully... I think it goes to say just how good his serve is that he playes so pathetically and still sets records with it.

How about we look at the Johansson vs. Roddick US Open quarterfinals? ;)

Fumus
02-15-2005, 04:53 AM
"Yea he set a record with it but he didn't even the win that match, so yea, how good is that?"

Winning a match takes more than a serve on most occasions. Johansson played that match awfully... I think it goes to say just how good his serve is that he playes so pathetically and still sets records with it.

How about we look at the Johansson vs. Roddick US Open quarterfinals? ;)

Roddick won more points overall but he played like a goon, 9 times out of 10 he wins that match and he has a good head to head against Pim Pim...so think again sucker.

WyveN
02-15-2005, 05:02 AM
when Pim Pim gets to his 16th career title including at least one slam and at least 3 masters then we start the comparisons...until then, Andy is the winner.

thats is relevant if your trying to decide who is the better player, not who has the better serve.

Pea
02-15-2005, 06:11 AM
rodduck has a BIGGER serve, not better. All he can do is boom it in.

Prizeidiot
02-15-2005, 07:21 AM
I'd say Karlovic has the best serve. Maybe not quite the weight like the Roddick or Johansson serves, but it's so ridiculously accurate. And I mean, he still gets it up around 210, so it's not like he needs the extra velocity. I mean, this guy is getting by just on a serve. I think it was Todd Martin who was just awestruck by Ivo's serve a couple of years back. He said he'd never come across anything like it, even the second serves were hitting the lines consistently.

Experimentee
02-15-2005, 02:39 PM
He certainly has one of the best, if not the best. He'll be breaking all the serve records in time to come, including fastest serve IMO. I'd also mention Karlovic's serve as one of the best, if we are talking consistently good.

Fumus
02-15-2005, 02:58 PM
rodduck has a BIGGER serve, not better. All he can do is boom it in.

You are right he doesn't have a kicker serve, or a slice serve it's always flat...not like Johannson who just takes two first serves. Ohh yea, Andy doesn't spread his serve all over the box either, when they show the shot spot it's not all over the place like Oafhannson who only hits one side then the other over and over and over again. :) Andy never throws a change up off pace serve either...not like Oafhannson who hits the same pace everytime.

jasmine(usa)
02-15-2005, 07:05 PM
You are right he doesn't have a kicker serve, or a slice serve it's always flat...not like Johannson who just takes two first serves. Ohh yea, Andy doesn't spread his serve all over the box either, when they show the shot spot it's not all over the place like Oafhannson who only hits one side then the other over and over and over again. :) Andy never throws a change up off pace serve either...not like Oafhannson who hits the same pace everytime. I'd have to say that sums up my thoughts. Thank you!;)

Angle Queen
02-15-2005, 07:27 PM
Anything You Can Do, I Can Do Better by Joachim Johannson, forward by RoddickFrom Tennis Books Not Likely to Sell (http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?p=1057689&highlight=Anything+you+can+do#post1057689)

...for my opinion on Johannson v. Roddick on the comparison between those two particular men. I believe the Swede to have more power...and a bit more variety...but both are certainly two of the best Iíve seen (at least on TV). Which brings me to my next thought. After reading the thread, I dug back through my memories...to a sad, sad day at Wimbledon...when Karlovic dumped then-Defending Champ Hewitt on his butt in the 1st Round. Itís the only time I remember seeing the Tall One on the tube so I unfortunately can't speak to his place in this discussion.

And as for the TV experience in general, it makes it really hard to appreciate the speed and skills all these players have. Radar guns donít mean anything. Itís when the ball whizzes by you so fast...that you arenít even sure you saw it in the first place...thatís when us duffers...just have to shake our heads. (Sorry for the duffer reference. I know thatís a golf term...I just donít know what the version is for us tennis buffs who swing...and sweat away every week on our own local courts)

TheBoiledEgg
02-15-2005, 08:13 PM
i dont think anyone has 72 diff serves like Wayne Arthurs does :lol:
pity the rest of his game is a bit better than mine :o

Wulfram
02-15-2005, 08:33 PM
I'd say Karlovic has the best serve. I mean, according to the ATP match facts, Karlovic served a totally sick average of 21.1 aces per match.

KTF
02-16-2005, 06:04 AM
I agreee! I also think thaI'd say Karlovic has the BEST serve ....
remember Fedex Def. Karlovic 6:3 7:6 7:6????
Even Federer,if Karlovic serve well ....Roger won't have much to do

wipeout
02-16-2005, 02:11 PM
I went and found the Todd Martin interview where he talks about Karlovic's serve.

http://www.asapsports.com/tennis/2004aussie/012104TM.html

The first question cracked me up, though...

Q. Your entire life of playing tennis, you've never known anything about the tiebreaker system, have you?

:lol:

sigmagirl91
02-16-2005, 02:13 PM
Roddick won more points overall but he played like a goon, 9 times out of 10 he wins that match and he has a good head to head against Pim Pim...so think again sucker.

Aw, Fumus, shit, the H2H between the two is 1-1.

Fumus
02-16-2005, 06:26 PM
Aw, Fumus, shit, the H2H between the two is 1-1.

Didn't you retire? :devil:

sigmagirl91
02-16-2005, 07:15 PM
Didn't you retire? :devil:

Hell no.

Fumus
02-16-2005, 07:17 PM
Hell no.

Alright you just don't want to leave the game...pulling an "Andre" I see.

sigmagirl91
02-16-2005, 07:38 PM
Alright you just don't want to leave the game...pulling an "Andre" I see.

Speaking of "Dre", he and I are a year apart in age, so :ras:

Fumus
02-16-2005, 08:01 PM
omg...which way are you older than Andre?!?

sigmagirl91
02-16-2005, 08:54 PM
omg...which way are you older than Andre?!?

No, Andre is a year older than I.

tangerine_dream
02-16-2005, 09:13 PM
I like JJ's booming serve :yeah: but acing Agassi to death at AO didn't help him win the match, did it?

Angle Queen
02-16-2005, 09:21 PM
I like JJ's booming serve :yeah: but acing Agassi to death at AO didn't help him win the match, did it?On point, Tangy.

Best Serve ≠ Best Player

sigmagirl91
02-16-2005, 09:31 PM
On point, Tangy.

Best Serve ≠ Best Player

But everyone else knows that Andre's an excellent returner.