What a weird match!!!! :eek:
Congratulations Gastón! :yeah:
I'm sorry for Nadal though, too bad they had to meet so early in the draw :sad:

adeegee
02-12-2005, 02:24 AM
should've been the final, gutted for rafa he had a really good chance

jole
02-12-2005, 02:25 AM
Can anyone explain what happened in this match? I was away.

Was Gaudio nervous at first, then Nadal got nervous?

jazz_girl
02-12-2005, 02:27 AM
Yeah, Gastón said he was nervous and too tired at first, but I still don't know what happened to Rafa! :confused: He started in great form!

Leena
02-12-2005, 02:28 AM
Nice job being consistent, guys.

adeegee
02-12-2005, 02:30 AM
apparently rafa got very frustrated his game wasn't working then got frustrated with the crowd and fell apart a little....ah well he's still young

Fergie
02-12-2005, 02:31 AM
Weird result :rolleyes: ... Congrats Gaston :worship:

Hendu
02-12-2005, 02:34 AM
apparently rafa got very frustrated his game wasn't working then got frustrated with the crowd and fell apart a little....ah well he's still young

Did you watch the match?

He didn't complain about the crowd.... He was completly frustrated with himself, he was pissed....

poor ball-boy, by the way... :sad:

aceit
02-12-2005, 02:36 AM
W O W.

jazz_girl
02-12-2005, 02:38 AM
He wasn't mad at the crowd, he even waved at them even though he was mad/sad afterwards.

adeegee
02-12-2005, 02:39 AM
Did you watch the match?

He didn't complain about the crowd.... He was completly frustrated with himself, he was pissed....

poor ball-boy, by the way... :sad:

jeez no wonder he lost 12 of the last 13 games, whats he doing getting drunk before a match.....

nah seriously, thats the impression i got from people that did watch...they said he stormed off the court at the end saying he looked frustrated about everything, himself, the crowd, etc

Havok
02-12-2005, 02:40 AM
Hello WTA.:bigwave:

aceit
02-12-2005, 02:43 AM
:haha:

jazz_girl
02-12-2005, 02:45 AM
I missed it, what happened to the ball boy?

Hendu
02-12-2005, 02:50 AM
It was a little girl (I think) Rafa was really pissed... and every time he asked for the towell... he did it very rudely, and the poor kid was running all over the place.... :devil:

jazz_girl
02-12-2005, 02:52 AM
LOL! I didn't see that, but I don't think she really cared. I mean, he was mad at himself, not at her.

Ultraman
02-12-2005, 02:53 AM
Bad day at the office, for both men.

Jennay
02-12-2005, 02:55 AM
:eek:

Caro :hug: (She was at the match. :))

Hendu
02-12-2005, 02:55 AM
LOL! I didn't see that, but I don't think she really cared. I mean, he was mad at himself, not at her.

It wasn't a big deal... but the kid was so young... (or very short :scratch: )

jazz_girl
02-12-2005, 02:59 AM

Caro :hug: (She was at the match. :))
I know, she must be disappointed :hug:

LiZpHaIr
02-12-2005, 03:24 AM
Good Win Gaston! :bounce:

Carito_90
02-12-2005, 03:26 AM
Awww Jen :hug:

I AM dissapointed. Very :sad:

I can't believe he lost it... he had it. Such a weird match.
I dont know if he was pissed at the crowd, I mean, they some were REALLY rude towards him but the crowd wans't a problem. I really want to know what happened with him... I know, Gaudio did lift his game a lot but Rafa dropped it too and... it just doesn't make any sense after winning the first set 6-0.

*sigh* anyway.... I just hope he'll come back next year... :sad:

bad gambler
02-12-2005, 03:35 AM
what on earth was going on in buenos aires? :confused:

iliketennis
02-12-2005, 03:46 AM
Yay!!! Go Gaston. This is great news

Denise
02-12-2005, 04:23 AM
Nadal :lol:
Gaudio :yeah:

Hendu
02-12-2005, 04:30 AM
Gaudio now is going for his 6th consecutive final on clay, against Alberto Martin (Spain)

darnyelb
02-12-2005, 04:30 AM
That scoreline is hilarious. And somehow, Gaudio being involved is appropriate. Congrats Gaston!

LiZpHaIr
02-12-2005, 04:31 AM
Gaudio now is going for his 6th consecutive final on clay, against Alberto Martin (Spain)

:bounce:

Go Gaston!

switz
02-12-2005, 05:46 AM
yeah i always thought how people already label gaudio a one slam wonder is very unfair. he got to the RG final playing great tennis and has really been so consistant on the surface. i think gaston can win roland garros again - maybe not this year though because he is not the best pressure player ever normally. then again he was brilliant in that final.

Prizeidiot
02-12-2005, 06:28 AM
Only on clay will you get a score like that.....

Pea
02-12-2005, 06:30 AM
Gaston! Thew ne king of clay!:worship:

Carito_90
02-12-2005, 06:34 AM
then again he was brilliant in that final.

Tell me you're joking, please.

He won't win RG again, unless the top players get injured again, withdraw or lose before they play him.

ATPTOUR
02-12-2005, 06:51 AM
Tell me you're joking, please.

He won't win RG again, unless the top players get injured again, withdraw or lose before they play him.

Tell me you are joking with that last comment.

Ok, there are no guarantees in anything except that we'll all die, but nevertheless.

- Since when has cramp been diagonised as an injury?
- Gaudio has very good records on clay against Guga, Ferrero, Moya and Coria who are the elite players on the clay and whether people like him or not, he is one of the best players on clay.

CooCooCachoo
02-12-2005, 06:55 AM
How weird :eek:

Billabong
02-12-2005, 07:27 AM
Wow:D! Congrats Gaston:yeah: strange match:eek:

Leonandy
02-12-2005, 07:42 AM
Poor Rafa,hope he can player better next time.I could cheer for him today if he didn't play with Gaston.But Gaston is my No.1 player! ;)
:worship: That's what Gaston said after the match :worship:
"I have that self-confidence I didn't have before, I'm trying shots I didn't dare to play before"
He's making big progress physically and mentally:yeah:
Vamos Gaston in the final :bounce:

Action Jackson
02-12-2005, 07:57 AM
Nothing surprises me in a Gaudio match, but Gaston won and that's good enough and the scoreline won't be forgotten for a while.

*SKYE*
02-12-2005, 08:27 AM
Surprising scoreline...Though I am a fan of both of them so YaY to Gaston!

superpinkone37
02-12-2005, 08:30 AM
odd score but oh well, I guess. I wanted Rafa to win though :sad:

Mrs. B
02-12-2005, 09:18 AM

JMG
02-12-2005, 09:58 AM
:yeah: Gaston :woohoo:

Choupi
02-12-2005, 10:08 AM
Go Gaston! The final of your home tournament has never been so close... ;)

LiZpHaIr
02-12-2005, 10:11 AM
Has there ever been a 6-0 0-6 0-6 match or something like that?

Horatio Caine
02-12-2005, 10:15 AM
Has there ever been a 6-0 0-6 0-6 match or something like that?

I remember there being a match of that "quality" on the WTA Tour a little while ago....

Horatio Caine
02-12-2005, 10:20 AM
yeah i always thought how people already label gaudio a one slam wonder is very unfair. he got to the RG final playing great tennis and has really been so consistant on the surface. i think gaston can win roland garros again - maybe not this year though because he is not the best pressure player ever normally. then again he was brilliant in that final.

Well, at the time he won RG, why was it unfair. He hadn't done anything consistent or hugely impressive on that surface before then. Since then, the confidence has given him that huge boost and now he doesn't believe he can lose very often. Sometimes a huge tournament is all you need to get yourself to the next level and I would put him as top 3 contender for the title this year. Coria will definitely contend it, as will Volandri (:haha:) and other Argentines. They are the favourites and Nadal is an outsider. I can't think of any other players that could really win it. Maybe Acasuso?

The point is - don't write Gaston off. Everyone wrote Costa off but he returned the follwoing year and BATTLED (there is no other word to describe it) his way to the semis - an impressive run and Gaudio would be happy to get that far this year.

adeegee
02-12-2005, 10:27 AM
i think roger has to be a contender despite not doing well there in the past...maybe even marat but i think he's a bit impatient for clay. outsiders i'd go for rafa, juan carlos (if he can get back into some reasonable form by then, even if he hasn't dont write him off), and maybe gonzalez. i dont think gaudio will win it again, no doubt he's an excellent clay court player but i dont think he has the mind to do it again. maybe martin verkerk will win it? (joke)

Horatio Caine
02-12-2005, 10:33 AM
i think roger has to be a contender despite not doing well there in the past...maybe even marat but i think he's a bit impatient for clay. outsiders i'd go for rafa, juan carlos (if he can get back into some reasonable form by then, even if he hasn't dont write him off), and maybe gonzalez. i dont think gaudio will win it again, no doubt he's an excellent clay court player but i dont think he has the mind to do it again. maybe martin verkerk will win it? (joke)

Sure, one can't write Juan - carlos off but realistically, he isn't going to get far unless he gets back in the top 32. He could easily draw an inform player like Gaudio, Gonzalez or even Coria in the 2nd round. We all saw what that produced at the Aus Open - he was soundly whipped, albeit on a different surface to clay.

Yeah - Roger is a contender but he probably won't get past the QF. Marat has proved he can play on the clay well but at that point of the year he might get selective as to whether he wants to consume energy for his hateful grass exploits..and the US hardcourt season.

Sure, Gaston probably won't win it...but as i said in my previous post, he is more than capable of reaching the SF or even the final again,

Who knows, maybe Henman will frustrate his opponents again and win his first grand slam title on clay at the age of 30! :tape: :haha:

Horatio Caine
02-12-2005, 10:33 AM
P.S. - Adeegee - have you had any sleep yet man? :)

RPH
02-12-2005, 12:18 PM
Gaston :)

Nadal should expect some losses like this with his serve which IMO is one of the worst in mens tennis :o Serve-wise he's the male version of Conchita Martinez :lol:

I♥PsY@Mus!c
02-12-2005, 12:21 PM
Gaston :)

Serve-wise he's the male version of Conchita Martinez :lol:

:haha: :haha:

User ID 4783
02-12-2005, 01:51 PM
What a dumb scoreline. :eek:

SuperFurryAnimal
02-12-2005, 01:54 PM
What a dumb scoreline. :eek:
You took the words right out of my mouth!
First Nadal bagels Gaudio, then it's the other way around... :confused:
It's like a WTA score.... :shrug:

Sjengster
02-12-2005, 02:28 PM
Neither Gaudio nor Nadal can serve bullets, which explains why such a scoreline is possible - the fact that it actually happened, well, this IS a Gaudio match after all. But the most important thing is he won, it's 3-0 against Nadal, it's another semifinal, and he has a chance to go for a first home title! However, Public Urinator Martin is not to be underestimated, he's already beaten Canas and Mantilla after all. I hope for an El Gato-El Chucho final.

Gaudio should reach at least the quarters in defence of the RG title, he is a Top 5 player on clay and he should certainly have won a lot of the matches he has lost against other elite clay court players (Ferrero, I'm looking in your direction). To be honest, if the self-belief is there, there's no reason why he couldn't repeat in Paris - the mental side is his great weakness, but tennistically (what a great phrase) he is the equal of players like Ferrero, Moya, Kuerten and Coria on clay.

TennisLurker
02-12-2005, 02:33 PM
tennistically is a great phrase indeed, it is a translation of the spanish "tenisticamente", the british academy of language (I dont know whats the name, I guess it must be something like that) should make it an official word.

Maybe because I watched a lot of wta tennis in the early 90´s Conchita´s serve doesnt strike me as a particularly bad serve... :confused:

Sjengster
02-12-2005, 02:53 PM
Yes, the Oxford English Dictionary. Well, if "Dalek" can make it in there, no reason why "tennistic" shouldn't. The entry for it could even say, "Popularised by Spanish player Juan Carlos Ferrero..."

Conchi's serve is technically awful, so clearly a strain to even get into play, but the swerving slice she put on it combined with the lack of pace made it awfully difficult for players to deal with, in the same way Dementieva still manages to get away with her serve today. Nadal's serve is technically better, but he still doesn't generate much pace and though he's going to get a lot of first serves in play, most of them are going to come back. He has no chance of winning the big hardcourt events unless he improves it, that match against Roddick at the US Open last year (albeit on a quicker hardcourt with unusually fast balls) was a serving mismatch.

Hendu
02-12-2005, 03:04 PM
tennistically is a great phrase indeed, it is a translation of the spanish "tenisticamente", the british academy of language (I dont know whats the name, I guess it must be something like that) should make it an official word.

I really don't think "tenisticamente" is officially accepted by the Real Academia Española either. But is certainly a great word ;)

adelaide
02-12-2005, 03:23 PM
im not mad, or sad, or amazed, im just disgusted... not at anyone, but at the match itself. it's hilarious, but arrrggggh. rafa blew his chances so bad. :(

hopefully it'll never happen again................................... rafa's still young.
congrats gaston anyway

i would have loved to see rafa get actually pissed tho. never seen him that way. :)

FERD
02-12-2005, 04:21 PM
I think Gaston Gaudio is the best player in clay court!!!
Rafael Nadal was very mad

Björki
02-12-2005, 04:50 PM
Rafa :( :(

Denaon
02-12-2005, 05:42 PM
That scoreline is hilarious. And somehow, Gaudio being involved is appropriate. Congrats Gaston!
I totally agree! :lol:

LiZpHaIr
02-12-2005, 09:26 PM
Gaudio Vs. Dementieva

Gaudio wins 6-0 0-6 0-6 6-0 6-0

Natasc
02-12-2005, 10:09 PM
looking for that scoreboard you can think that the match was stranger...BUT, was just in the first set

"El Gato" wasn't "on his game" in the first set, then he wake up and just show us what why he's the champion of RG and why he IS the better playr of ATP in CLAY

Since RG that in all clay tournaments Gaudio reach the final

Go Gaudio!! Won tommorow!! Show us why Vilas said that you will win again RG ;) :yeah:

Natasc
02-12-2005, 10:13 PM
Gaudio Vs. Dementieva

Gaudio wins 6-0 0-6 0-6 6-0 6-0
hahahahaha :haha:
the both are great players on clay
but talking about weirds scores Lena is better in "came back and fight" then gaudio

Dementieva vs Bovina
0-6 6-0 1-4 40-0 Bovina serving
Dementieva won: 0-6 6-0 6-4 can you believe ;) :yeah:

Dementieva vs Capriati
6-0 2-6 7-6

I can just remenber that Gaston "came back" when he faced the "Coria - The choker" in RG...what a terrible choker from a top player as Coria. Coria is damn good, but he's also a choker..... :rolleyes: well, things can be perfect, right?

Carito_90
02-12-2005, 10:28 PM
Tell me you are joking with that last comment.

Ok, there are no guarantees in anything except that we'll all die, but nevertheless.

- Since when has cramp been diagonised as an injury?
- Gaudio has very good records on clay against Guga, Ferrero, Moya and Coria who are the elite players on the clay and whether people like him or not, he is one of the best players on clay.

- No I'm not joking.
- I didn't say that, but is a disadvantage for the player that suffers it.
-He might beat the first three you mentioned because they're nowhere near their best shape but he can't beat an absolutely healthy Coria or Federer.

Pironkov
02-12-2005, 10:28 PM
I can't remember such weird scoreline on WTA tour in the last few years :o

Action Jackson
02-13-2005, 02:04 AM
- No I'm not joking.
- I didn't say that, but is a disadvantage for the player that suffers it.
-He might beat the first three you mentioned because they're nowhere near their best shape but he can't beat an absolutely healthy Coria or Federer.

You're cracking jokes it's not like Coria and Gaudio matches haven't been close, the way you are trying to paint it out it's as if Gaston is playing against Rios or Corretja.

See Hamburg if you think he can't push Federer on the surface and the fact that Federer has to win enough matches at RG before he could actually Gaston is another factor you have overlooked.

Action Jackson
02-13-2005, 02:06 AM
I really don't think "tenisticamente" is officially accepted by the Real Academia Española either. But is certainly a great word ;)

Yes, it's undoubtedly a great word.

TennisLurker
02-13-2005, 02:32 AM
"Está mejor que nunca y una de las claves es que tiene una actitud profesional del 100 por ciento". Schneiter, en tanto, apoyó con "no era fácil recuperarlo tenísticamente. Además necesitaba bajar de peso. Y por suerte hizo un cambio tras la Copa Petrobras de Buenos Aires".

Chloe le Bopper
02-13-2005, 07:00 AM
Considering that Gaudio is now ranked high enough to avoid facing the players he routinely choked against in the past until later rounds, I wouldn't be surprised to see him rip his way through the clay court season. I mean... why not? The only reason he wasn't doing it before was that... well.... you know. He's Gaudio ;)

Action Jackson
02-13-2005, 08:53 AM
Considering that Gaudio is now ranked high enough to avoid facing the players he routinely choked against in the past until later rounds, I wouldn't be surprised to see him rip his way through the clay court season. I mean... why not? The only reason he wasn't doing it before was that... well.... you know. He's Gaudio ;)

That's too profound and I thought you knew he was a joke, a disgrace to tennis, a piece of crap that only won RG because the other player was injured, he had an easy draw and was able to put some curse on his opponents that caused him to win 5 set matches.