Haas def. Mirnyi 6-7(2) 7-6(3) 6-2 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Haas def. Mirnyi 6-7(2) 7-6(3) 6-2

Neely
02-12-2005, 01:32 AM
Haas def. Mirnyi 6-7(2) 7-6(3) 6-2

Mirnyi already served for the match in the 2nd set at 5-4.
Haas never had a chance on Miryni's serve the whole 2nd set until this deciding service game of Max.
It was a very unexpected turnaround at this time! Haas broke back and finally took the 2nd set in a tiebreak.
From then on, Haas never looked back, broke Mirnyi early in the third set and was able to hold the following "key game" that featured a few deuces.

My confidence in Tommy was really at a deep low when I saw how the 2nd set was going just too quickly everything for Mirnyi's favour... very surprising win for me, bad and disappointing loss for the Max fans as he had the chance to serve it out already!

There was no TV coverage of this tournament for me... anybody got it and can give a small report what happened at this turnaround? Was Tommy crap before? Was Miryni nervous when serving for the match? Any things would be appreciated if somebody was courtside at the match or if it was on TV somewhere... :yeah:

BTW... Haas vs Mirnyi H2H: Haas leads 7-0

Jennay
02-12-2005, 01:49 AM
:worship: Tommy! :yeah:

aceit
02-12-2005, 01:50 AM
Thanks!
Way to go Tommy!

TheBoiledEgg
02-12-2005, 02:07 AM
poor Max :sad: and serving for match OUCH :(

at least he came close this time
he has nightmares everytime against Tommy

Fergie
02-12-2005, 02:15 AM
Well done Tommy :yeah:

jole
02-12-2005, 02:19 AM
I thought for sure Mirnyi had it in the second.

PaulieM
02-12-2005, 02:21 AM
yay tommy! :)

LiZpHaIr
02-12-2005, 02:23 AM
This is why Mirnyi sucks. He can hold serve through the whole match until' it's time to serve it out and then he fucks up.

Scotso
02-12-2005, 02:23 AM
*starts crossing chokers off his cheering list*

Neely
02-12-2005, 02:26 AM
This is why Mirnyi sucks. He can hold serve through the whole match until' it's time to serve it out and then he fucks up.
hmm, I think Miryni should be on a pretty good way back to former times when he was ranked much higher... I don't have the feeling that Miryni "sucked much" in this match :shrug:

Havok
02-12-2005, 03:04 AM
:banana: Viva Haas, nice fight.:)

Fee
02-12-2005, 03:30 AM
What I saw in the third set, Tommy started hitting his shots with precision and they were going exactly where he wanted. Crosscourt passes, strong returns. It was really good to watch. Tommy had been hitting too many shots close to Max when he was at the net and he finally figured out how to get the balls past him.

On a completely personal note, I was talking to Red tonight after the match and I told him that Tommy was one of my absolute favorite players. Red said he knew that because Tommy had seen me earlier and told Red that I was one of his biggest fans and always very supportive of him. Isn't that sweet?

Denise
02-12-2005, 04:28 AM
Tommyyyyyyy :woohoo:

Horatio Caine
02-12-2005, 10:38 AM
Yeah Tommy got a bit lucky there - but kudos to him for fighting until the apparent end and then taking the match from under Max's nose.

Just goes to show that you should never give up, even when it seems like you are going down for sure.

I♥PsY@Mus!c
02-12-2005, 12:26 PM
Take the title,Haas. :rocker:

Neely
02-12-2005, 12:49 PM
Thanks for the post, Fee. What you report is about what I was thinking yesterday during the match as I presumed that Tommy probably has no clue how to deal with Mirnyi's net play. Good that he finally found the right adjustment! :)

On a completely personal note, I was talking to Red tonight after the match and I told him that Tommy was one of my absolute favorite players. Red said he knew that because Tommy had seen me earlier and told Red that I was one of his biggest fans and always very supportive of him. Isn't that sweet?
awesome! :yeah: :hug:

Raquel
02-12-2005, 04:13 PM
Max :sad: It's a good result for Max anyway to get to the QF here. He made the semis in Milan last week, the semis in Sydney and the semis at TMS Paris at the end of last year so it looks like he is getting his singles game back on track.

Good luck in Memphis, Max :)

Fee
02-12-2005, 05:54 PM
You're welcome Neely. Saw him late last night (he hung around forever) and he seemed to be in a good mood, but a bit tired. We got a picture together (Red took it, so I hope it comes out okay) and I gave him a hug. He called the trainer for his back during the match, so I hope he had a good night of sleep last night.