About Mariano Puerta: Welcome back! [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

About Mariano Puerta: Welcome back!

fco253
02-11-2005, 09:46 PM
I have read some posters comments in the match thread that seem to have no idea who this guy is/was, some short recap, since he has been out for a while....

Puerta has been very unfortunate, he finished Top 20 in 2000 relying only in clay (his long swings aren't well suited for faster surfaces), and he was probably Top 5-7 in clay at the moment...
...then, since 2001 he got one big injury after another, he has been unhealthy from 23 to 26, basically most of his prime; besides, in the meantime the tour got faster which made his long strokes style more difficult to apply...
But he is a lefty, constant heavy hitter, like you won't find today (maybe Gonzales, but steadier than Gonzo), packed with a gladiator's heart...and this is the first time since 2000 he is back to his early career weight...

Never, never, I have seen Moya suffering that many winners against in clay... Carlos usual approach, of lefting 3/4 open court to his FH was a mortal trap, because Mariano, being left and hitting such heavy, spinned, inverted FH, was placing lots of balls that were simply impossible for Carlos to even reach; when he tried to cover his FH, Mariano changed and punished him to his BH...
Obviously Carlos wasn't at his best, but he didn't play bad either...Mariano would have been too much for everybody today...

This doesn't mean Puerta is going back to his Top 20 rank, I think his speed disadvantage will prevent that, but if he stays healthy, he will become again a Top 50 player who can beat simply anybody on clay on a given day, like Calleri can...

I am very, very happy for him :)

Good luck to all.

adeegee
02-11-2005, 09:47 PM
It was very nice of Carlos to help his recovery I thought

MAURO
02-11-2005, 10:49 PM
well done Mariano

come on again

Horatio Caine
02-11-2005, 11:08 PM
Well done Mariano and good luck for the future.

Becool
02-11-2005, 11:14 PM
VAMOS MARIANO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D :D :D :D :D

WIN THIS TOURNAMENT! :bounce:

CooCooCachoo
02-23-2005, 06:57 PM
You conveniently left out that he was found guilty of using doping and therefore suspended.

CooCooCachoo
02-23-2005, 07:01 PM
Wednesday, January 7, 2004 10:17 AM

http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/NewsStory.aspx?section=Sports&OID=41831

Tennis body bans Puerta for doping

PERTH, Australia - Argentine tennis player Mariano Puerta has been banned from the sport for nine months, fined and stripped of ranking points after testing positive for a banned drug, men's tennis chiefs said on Wednesday.

Puerta, a promising claycourter once ranked as high as 18 in the world, tested positive for the class one substance clenbuterol during the 2003 ATP event in Vina del Mar, Chile, the ATP said.

Puerta is the third Argentine in three years to be banned for doping following Juan Ignacio Chela and Guillermo Coria's bans in 2001.

Chela was suspended from professional tennis for three months and thrown out of the world's top 500 in April 2001. The player, who has fought his way back to 38th in the world, tested positive for methyltestosterone, a prohibited steroid.

Later that year Coria, now ranked world number five, was suspended for seven months and fined $98,565 by the ATP after testing positive for the banned substance nandrolone.

Coria tested positive for the steroid when he was ranked 30th on the ATP entry system.

An independent Tennis Anti-Doping Program tribunal ruled that 25-year-old Puerta be suspended for nine months from October 3 last year when he stopped playing pending the tribunal.

Puerta will also forfeit 15 singles ranking points and $5,600 in prize money.

The Argentine will be eligible to return to competition after July 1, 2004.

The tribunal heard evidence from Puerta and the ATP in Miami on December 1, 2003, the ATP said.

Clenbuterol is an anabolic agent that promotes muscle growth. The tribunal determined that the player had been prescribed clenbuterol by his physician to treat an acute asthma attack and that the use had had no performance-enhancing benefits.

Puerta turned professional in 1995 and finished the 2003 season ranked No. 117 in the ATP rankings, posting a 5-14 singles record on the ATP circuit. His highest career singles ranking was 18 in 2000.

Denaon
02-23-2005, 07:03 PM
You conveniently left out that he was found guilty of using doping and therefore suspended.
Here we go again :rolleyes:

Denaon
02-23-2005, 07:05 PM
What's the point in bringing that up Coocoo???

Pea
02-23-2005, 07:05 PM

:o

Welcome back, Mariano!

Denaon
02-23-2005, 07:07 PM
:o

Welcome back, Mariano!
I welcome him back too, Pea! :bounce:

Elwing
02-23-2005, 07:11 PM
I was about to say that.. he had a positive doping.. but it's even more remarkable how he managed to come back in such a good way after being inactive for so long, he told the press during the ATP Tour Bs As that he got only 6 months of suspension because his reassons were heard so the punishment was lighter out...
If Chela and Coria are examples of a come back then we'll see Puerta taking off!! ... Go Mariano!!!
This post was made before reading what Denaon and other posted, after doing it this post came out
... I personally think that bringing the positive doping info it's just another prove of the great Congratz Mariano should be given for playing at the level he's playing nowadays... I have no idea of CooCoo intention on that, and i don't have any reassons to think he brought that up with bad intentions, honestly I think it is just another info that makes me clap even harder Puertas return...
What a player did regarding the game is part of his past, his present and his future, nothing to be ashame if you already fixed the problem (if it was so) :wavey:

CooCooCachoo
02-23-2005, 07:15 PM

If you give an overview of his career, you cannot just leave that out. That is my point.

*Ljubica*
02-23-2005, 07:20 PM
Welcome back Mariano :hug:

Hendu
02-24-2005, 04:43 AM
Puerta defeated Moya.... AGAIN!!!!! :eek: :woohoo:

:banana:Puerta is BACK!!!! :banana: and playing his best tennis....

Pea
02-24-2005, 04:47 AM
:bounce:

undomiele
02-24-2005, 04:53 AM
Congrats Puerta!!!! :) :worship: :worship:

tennischick
02-24-2005, 05:05 AM
i knew Moya was in trouble when Lappentti stretched him in two tough sets. congrats Mariano. nice to see you back :kiss:

Argentine girl
02-24-2005, 05:11 AM
Vamos Mariano Puerta. I wish him the best of luck. It's time to get back in top 50 and then do something big on clay in Master series and Grand Slam.

Beated Moya 2 times in 3 weeks is very impressive.

Denaon
02-24-2005, 12:08 PM
:woohoo:

Bilbo
02-24-2005, 12:38 PM
Once again Puerta showed his class and gave a lot of posters a tennis lesson. Coming back 1 set down against the defending champion is very good. Props to him.

fco253
02-24-2005, 02:19 PM
If you give an overview of his career, you cannot just leave that out. That is my point.

Coocoo, I won't make a long answer to this, because I don't want to start another discussion about the doping issue... let's just say that, given all the facts, in my view that was an absurd decision by the ATP, ... that's why maybe I didn't mentioned and it also wasn't a complete overview, because I left out his juniors achievements, etc... I just refreshed some data for the posters who didn't knew him because only had followed the tour last few years ...

So, I didn't "conveniently" left anything out, I stated what I considered relevant, you can do the same :) ...

Peace.

PS: great win again for Mariano against Moya

mishar
02-24-2005, 03:44 PM
Don't forget that he's also quite a little hottie! :-)

CooCooCachoo
02-24-2005, 03:53 PM
Coocoo, I won't make a long answer to this, because I don't want to start another discussion about the doping issue... let's just say that, given all the facts, in my view that was an absurd decision by the ATP, ... that's why maybe I didn't mentioned and it also wasn't a complete overview, because I left out his juniors achievements, etc... I just refreshed some data for the posters who didn't knew him because only had followed the tour last few years ...

So, I didn't "conveniently" left anything out, I stated what I considered relevant, you can do the same :) ...

Peace.

PS: great win again for Mariano against Moya

OK :) That is your right ;) I just find it, regardless of whether Puerta was guilty or not, important enough to mention. It would explain why there were no results during a certain period, and why he fell down the rankings so much. And I am not saying Puerta is guilty of using doping or not; I simply do not have access to the information and can thus only base my opinion on statements from people involved and these statements are often inconclusive.