One handed or two handed backhand???? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

One handed or two handed backhand????

Carolinita
02-10-2005, 06:38 PM
Ok, maybe is a boring question but there are many opinions about this....for me, I like two handed backhand ;)

*Viva Chile*
02-10-2005, 06:42 PM
I like two-handed backhand but I envy to that they have a good one-handed backhand :p

Ismene
02-10-2005, 07:01 PM
One-handed, definitely.

When I was a little girl (and didn't know much about tennis), I thought a two-handed backhand was somehow inferior, so with a great deal of persistence I taught myself. I whacked one-handed backhands with an ancient, wooden men's racquet that I had found in the cellar and that probably weighed as much as I did. As a result, I can't see how anyone could do it any other way ;)

L2

Liebig
02-10-2005, 07:10 PM
I have great respect for players who hit one-handed backhand, because I always wonder how do they manage to keep he ball in the court, in spite of all the physic priciples. It looks so weird, I always have and impression that the ball would fly far, far away.
I play two-handed and can't imagine playing one.

aceit
02-10-2005, 07:11 PM
I like two-handed backhand but I envy to that they have a good one-handed backhand :p
Same here. But I like hitting slice backhands.

zillianff
02-10-2005, 07:11 PM
one handed definately, i cant even get the ball over the net with 2 hands, i feel ackward.

Denaon
02-10-2005, 07:50 PM
I admire a lot the one handed! I prefer it that way. Period.
(But I still like u Nalbi!)

Rex
02-10-2005, 07:53 PM
im a double handed bh. But the one handed is suppose to be better for moving the ball about. The disadvantage of having a one handed backhand is that high deep balls are very hard to hit.

Turkeyballs Paco
02-10-2005, 07:59 PM
I have a pretty reliable 2 handed backhand, but I'm working on developing my one-handed backhand, too. If I could only control it...

Carolinita
02-10-2005, 10:53 PM
ups...this poll is very :boxing:

Fergie
02-10-2005, 10:58 PM
Two-handed backhand ... The best for me are: Hingis, Rios and Safin :worship:

marilag
02-10-2005, 11:01 PM
FERGIE :

That's a new avatar. May I have a copy, please? :)

(Looks like I'm going to have to stalk you, if only to make sure I get to see all those great avatars of yours. :))

Fergie
02-10-2005, 11:04 PM
This pics is better than the last ;)

Sorry :topic:

marilag
02-10-2005, 11:08 PM
Thanks!! :kiss:

It's beautiful!!

robinhood
02-10-2005, 11:58 PM
One handed! I like Fed's and Henin's one-handed backhands particularly.

jmgsdoubsprtnr
02-11-2005, 12:49 AM
2 handed.... it's what i use, and what most of my favorite players use.

lucashg
02-11-2005, 01:36 AM
One handed! I like Fed's and Henin's one-handed backhands particularly.

:yeah:

Exactly. Their backhands are one of the various reasons they both are my favorite players. I've always thought of one-handed backhand being more stylish and beautiful than two-handed ones. I also like slicing.

:p

Billabong
02-11-2005, 01:40 AM
I can't decide:confused: I use a double handed because I'm much more confortable with it and it's my best shot, but a one-handed is sooo impressive and it can be an awesome weapon (just ask Guga;))!

erik-the-red
02-11-2005, 01:49 AM
I have a two-hander. I recognize that it has the potential for GREAT power and angle (see Safin).

But, one-handers are just SO beautiful (see Federer).

Havok
02-11-2005, 02:25 AM
Double handed backhand. They're just better.;)

Nimomunz
02-11-2005, 02:43 AM
Abit off topic here but who was that player who couldnt hit a backhand so he became ambidexterous and would hit forehands off both hands. He'd be passing the racket from hand to hand!!
Did that even happen or am i making it up? :cuckoo:

Dokicfan
02-11-2005, 03:58 AM
Two handed is way better for me and most people. I simply dont understand how it is possible to hit a good single handed when the ball is above the hips. Plus I think the preparation for the two handed is way simpler and easier to do. Its easier to set up with a two handed. And I really dont get why people say its more beautifull, I think the double handed looks cooler and more powerful. Its also way easier to create topspin with a two-hander.

WyveN
02-11-2005, 04:08 AM
Plus I think the preparation for the two handed is way simpler and easier to do. Its easier to set up with a two handed.

Which is why 90% of the tour uses a two handed backhand, interestingly enough though 90% of the best backhands on the atp are single ones.

Carito_90
02-11-2005, 04:40 AM
Abit off topic here but who was that player who couldnt hit a backhand so he became ambidexterous and would hit forehands off both hands. He'd be passing the racket from hand to hand!!
Did that even happen or am i making it up?

No, I remember seeing that somewhere. A really old player tho. He served with one hand, then changed his hand and hitted two FHs with different hands. It was weird but seemed to work for him. No way I remember his name I just remember seeing it.

Anyway, I definitely prefer the two-handed BH. Same reasons Dokicfan said.

superpinkone37
02-11-2005, 04:47 AM
two handed :banana:

MisterQ
02-11-2005, 04:49 AM
here you go:

"As the journalist and tennis historian Bud Collins recounts in Bud Collins' Tennis Encyclopedia, the best-known players with two forehands were Giorgio de Stefani of Italy and Beverly Baker Fleitz of the US.

De Stefani beat the Briton Fred Perry at Roland Garros in 1934, and that eventually separated Perry from a Grand Slam, as he won the other three majors that year. Fleitz lost in the 1955 Wimbledon final to Louise Brough, also of the US.

At Wimbledon in 1972, two forehand-only players, Lita Liem of Indonesia and Marijke Schaar of the Netherlands, actually faced each other in the first round, with Liem winning."

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/05/30/1054177731909.html?oneclick=true

TennisLurker
02-11-2005, 05:14 AM
one hander because I cant change direction with a two hander, and I am slow, so, extra reach

Riley Finn
02-11-2005, 07:04 AM
I prefer to watch a two-hander, but I play a one-hander.

Black Adam
02-11-2005, 07:22 AM
here you go:

"As the journalist and tennis historian Bud Collins recounts in Bud Collins' Tennis Encyclopedia, the best-known players with two forehands were Giorgio de Stefani of Italy and Beverly Baker Fleitz of the US.

De Stefani beat the Briton Fred Perry at Roland Garros in 1934, and that eventually separated Perry from a Grand Slam, as he won the other three majors that year. Fleitz lost in the 1955 Wimbledon final to Louise Brough, also of the US.

At Wimbledon in 1972, two forehand-only players, Lita Liem of Indonesia and Marijke Schaar of the Netherlands, actually faced each other in the first round, with Liem winning."

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/05/30/1054177731909.html?oneclick=true

Andy could also do that....i heard that his left hand isn't that bad especially when playing ping pong :aplot:

But I prefer the one handed Backhand for beauty and more reach ;)

J. Corwin
02-11-2005, 07:43 AM
Two-handed :cool:

TheMightyFed
02-11-2005, 07:44 AM
One-handed BH is purer...

Human Washington
02-11-2005, 07:58 AM
i started with onehanded, couldn't develop any topspin, and so changed to a twohander. Then as my game improved I put a lot of effort into learning a decent onehanded topspin stroke.
As far as i can hit with control it seems superior to me for creating spin and power. But, playing against a heavy top spin player I need to hit a lot of slice backhands because the ball is above shoulder height.
The key things I found when hitting a one hander are:1. tucking in your shoulder beneath your chin, so that you are "in line" or side on when starting your stroke.
2.having a solid balanced position 3. keeping your head down on contact 4. making sure to hit smoothly through the contact zone 4. using your non-hitting arm as a ballast for balance and power- so it moves in the opposite direction as you swing- sometimes called a "back blast".
I could do with more consistency and accuracy though.

Smankyou
02-11-2005, 09:43 AM
I'm a one-hander. And an accurate one at that.

I find two hands are restricting.

Ferrero Forever
02-11-2005, 10:00 AM
I like the one handed better (and yes i know ferrero has a two handed backhand)

Puschkin
02-11-2005, 10:03 AM
I prefer to watch a two-hander, but I play a one-hander.
Just the other way round for me ;)

Carolinita
02-11-2005, 12:16 PM
but according to what I know originally the players had one handed BH and then they began to use two handed BH ...it's that true?? :confused:

Art&Soul
02-11-2005, 01:25 PM
two is more power and easier to handle but one is more beautiful and rare that's why most players use two-handed BH. I choose one-handed BH coz i love art tennis and Roger's is one of those!!!!!!!