which players are mentally weak? and mentally strong? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

which players are mentally weak? and mentally strong?

Julio1974
02-10-2005, 01:40 PM
Gaudio and Gonzalez, for sure. I thought Coria was very strong until I watched him losing the final game in FO. That gane left me with some doubts about her mental strength. Safin used to be rather weak also but he seems to have left that problem behind.

mentally strong? Federer, Agassi, Hewitt, Massuh. Hewitt is the strongest, I think. I'd add Nalabandian, but for the fact that he does not play well in final games.

TheMightyFed
02-10-2005, 01:41 PM
I thought Coria was very strong
In junior ? :devil:

Riley Finn
02-10-2005, 01:47 PM
yes,Agassi is especially mentaly strong when he plays tiebreaks

Carolinita
02-10-2005, 01:55 PM
Hewitt is the strongest ...no doubt...
and mentally weak?...I guess Carlos, Gastón and Marat (but I hope that Marat continues progressing like till now)

Auscon
02-10-2005, 01:56 PM
Federers got to be up there after 04

Lleyton imo would be the strongest...to be able to compete with the best and not to have a big weapon on the serve/backhand/forehand, and to never give up (and to have been doing so on tour since he was very young), counts for a lot

But in the matches against Roger in 04, he just always seemed to go down a peg (ie stats that are within his control like his 1st serve %, have always dropped against Federer from where they were in any matches previous to that match, which is when he needs to do that the least), which for me has been the only sign of mental weakness

Riley Finn
02-10-2005, 03:47 PM
In the match against Safin he wasn't all that tuff either

*Viva Chile*
02-10-2005, 04:13 PM
I also think that González is not very mentally strong, but when he plays for his country, his mind really change and then he becomes to a real mentally strong player.
Also Marat is mentally weak, but I hope after the AO finally he could change this fact.

The mentally strongest players are with no doubt... Federer, Hewitt, Agassi.

Neely
02-10-2005, 04:23 PM
Well, when doing this the first thing that has to be done is asking "what is mentally strong or weak?" What's your definition for that?

That would be actually the more interesting question than listing any names immediately.

Hard to say, I'm sure many definitions are possible, but first of all, for me, "mental strength" is not necessarily correlated with "being successful".

I would say the most important factors of mental strength, toughness are:
- the inner correct attitude and willingness to play
- positive thinking
- right attitude dealing with errors and handling a defeat
- developing an attitude towards both yourself and your failures that lets you live with them without being totally devastated
- ability not to hold back your game or even playing exceptionally in "crunch time moments" (no matter if this means break point down or having match points)
- strength of not letting effect special outer circumstances (breaks, rain, crowd, "gamesmanship"...) your usual game

adeegee
02-10-2005, 04:24 PM
mentally weak....safin, youzhny, ljubicic, gaudio, moya, federer (up until wimbledon 2003)

mentally strong....aside from all the ones you've mentioned, as much as i dont like watching his boring tennis i'd probably include nicolas massu on the list

Jenrios
02-10-2005, 08:16 PM
I'd go with Hewitt. He's very mentally tough. I hate to raise the 'natural talent' issue again, but I do think those who have a lot of natural talent tend to flake out in the big events. Marat can be inconsistent - lots of talk about not 'feeling the ball' when his confidence is low. I wa s concerned that Fed would go down this road, but so far he's proved me wrong:)

Gaudio suffers from the jitters - and that RG final surprised me so much. I thought Gaudio would never be able to cope mentally in the final - and I felt it so unfair because IMO he is a better player than Coria and 'deserved' to win. I was stunned when it was Coria who folded.

Jenrios
02-10-2005, 08:33 PM
Gonzalez said it himself after Auckland - some weeks he plays well, and others he doesn't - and he dpoesn't know why:)

Both Gonzalez and Massu showed tremendous mental grit at the Olympics though.

Aleksa's Laydee
02-10-2005, 08:43 PM
Mardy fish has no mental stability :sad: (well very little)

maratski
02-10-2005, 08:50 PM
Dementieva is the strongest of all. With a serve like that I would cry and give up, but she doesn't. Mentally she's stronger then Hewitt I think.

flip_fan
02-10-2005, 08:53 PM
philippoussis is weak. Tends to let his emotions get the better of him and carries his off-court troubles with him on court.

adelaide
02-10-2005, 09:28 PM
Mardy fish has no mental stability :sad: (well very little)

i agree. i don't want to, but I have to. :(

lizzieh
02-10-2005, 09:36 PM
Mentally strong... Hewitt, goes without saying really. Also Agassi, you have to be to have had such a long career.

Weak? I would have said Safin, but he seems to be getting better all the time. Henman has had his moments of being weak at Wimbledon especially.
Rafter used to have his choking moments.
Also of late, I would have to say Roddick(although I don't want to)...maybe this is just a rough patch for him who knows?

lizzieh
02-10-2005, 09:45 PM
Actually, I've just been thinking about it a little more, and I think I may have been a tad too harsh on my Timmy Henman.

Yes, he has had his choke moments at Wimbledon, but it's hardly surprising given the amount of pressure my counntry, no check that, the whole world puts on him to win it every year.

Sorry Tim xx

marilag
02-10-2005, 10:15 PM
Mental toughness --- Hewitt. No one holds a candle to him in that department.

Marat is VERY flaky.

Horatio Caine
02-10-2005, 10:28 PM
Mentally weak - Arvind Parmar, Gilles Muller, Rainer Schuettler, Robby Ginepri...

Mentally strong - Hewitt...difficult to answer because every player has blips and suffers as a result.

For anyone thinking about Henman...yes he does have his mental blips BUT you can't fail to acknowledge his superb Wimbledon campaigns the last 10 years. The guy is under immense pressure - more pressure than any top player has to cope with and he has consistently performed well in the face of that pressure.

rommel99
02-11-2005, 04:38 AM
id say justine henin hardenne in 2003 is more mentally strong than hewitt.

Prizeidiot
02-11-2005, 05:51 AM
I would say Hewitt.... except that Federer has owned him over the last 12 months or so. I honestly don't think Hewitt believes he can beat Roger in the big events.

Federer is probably the guy I would rate at the moment. It's hard to judge though, because it's inevitable that you would be strong in the head when you're so dominant. You gain that belief that you can always win.

Coria would be considered one of the weaker ones I think, solely based on what happened at Roland Garros.

Poljud
02-11-2005, 09:31 AM
Strong - Agassi, Hewitt

Weak - Ljubicic, Ancic(at times) Fish

spottygoose
02-17-2005, 11:18 AM
philippoussis is weak. Tends to let his emotions get the better of him and carries his off-court troubles with him on court.

OMG and who talks of double standards?? :confused:

erik-the-red
02-17-2005, 01:03 PM
Coria, Hewitt, Federer, and Agassi are pretty tough.

Sampras was very tough. So was Borg.

jasmine(usa)
02-17-2005, 01:24 PM
Fish and Safin get mental and lose matches they should win. Hewitt is pretty tough,so is Andy(with the exception of a certain recent match.