What is the greatest achievement in modern men's tennis history ? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

What is the greatest achievement in modern men's tennis history ?

TheMightyFed
02-10-2005, 09:43 AM
Interesting to assess what is the most valuable in fans'opinion, without necessarily comparing the players themselves... ;)
note: Agassi's career grand slam is also a reference to his longevity on top (15 years in top 10 and counting)...

Prizeidiot
02-10-2005, 10:16 AM
Howabout Agassi's longevity in general? 20 years or thereabouts, and here he is, still in the top 10. That hasn't been done since Rosewall, and it's a much more physical game now than it was then

TheMightyFed
02-10-2005, 10:18 AM
Howabout Agassi's longevity in general? 20 years or thereabouts, and here he is, still in the top 10. That hasn't been done since Rosewall, and it's a much more physical game now than it was then
agree !

Riley Finn
02-10-2005, 10:20 AM
I can't believe there is sb as stupid to vote for that Federer option.

TheMightyFed
02-10-2005, 10:22 AM
It's true it's a bit light compared to others, but:
-I wanted to link the poll with present
-He's the only one to have done so, which is not bad given the contenders...
However I voted for Borg

Riley Finn
02-10-2005, 10:27 AM
fine...there could be that ridiculous option,but I can't believe sb has actually voted for that,having these other options.

jtipson
02-10-2005, 10:30 AM
It's true it's a bit light compared to others, but:
-I wanted to link the poll with present
-He's the only one to have done so, which is not bad given the contenders...
However I voted for Borg

Me too. I was torn between him and Laver; in the end I chose Borg because winning those two tournaments consecutively, year after year is just so consistently impressive, and it's within memory for me. But Laver probably would have achieved that too had he not turned pro after his first Grand Slam.

PS You're thinking up some great threads here :)

Puschkin
02-10-2005, 10:40 AM
I voted for Sampras, 6 years nr. 1 in a row and I humbly hope you don't consider it a ridiculous choice ;)

Auscon
02-10-2005, 11:20 AM
I've picked lavers 2 slams, sure the 1st slam could be discounted (while still a great achievement), but even just the 69 one on its own warrants my selection, not to mention the possibility of others in those years he didnt participate

Close to that though, would be Pete's 6 years as world number 1

I've never really been interested in watching any of Petes old matches, no matter how good they may be, but its impossible to deny that that is one hell of an achievement

Riley Finn
02-10-2005, 11:31 AM
Yeah, baby,yeah! And we have a 2nd blind Federer fan!

Angle Queen
02-10-2005, 11:43 AM
Me too. I was torn between him and Laver; in the end I chose Borg because winning those two tournaments consecutively, year after year is just so consistently impressive, and it's within memory for me. But Laver probably would have achieved that too had he not turned pro after his first Grand Slam.

PS You're thinking up some great threads here :)Same here...except I'm going with Laver for the simple fact...that it ain't been done since...despite all those who've followed. Borg's achievements...are a very, very close second.

And I'll second the kudos on thread/poll topics. It's h@ll after the AO. RG is just too far away.

TheMightyFed
02-10-2005, 11:46 AM
Yeah, baby,yeah! And we have a 2nd blind Federer fan!
Imagine a single guy who would have all these records... go Fed, go !! :bounce: :bounce:

Riley Finn
02-10-2005, 11:48 AM
Thing is he doesn't have them now.

rwn
02-10-2005, 11:48 AM
It's a very difficult choice. Almost all are very great achievements. McEnroe had a fantastic year. Agassi has shown his versatility by winning GS on 3 different surfaces. Sampras has his 14 GS titles + 6 years no. 1 in a row.
But IMO Rod Laver's GS in 1969 is still the greatest achievement. Winning 25 best of 5 matches at Grand Slams without 1 loss against the best players in the world is amazing. Even when it was on only 2 different surfaces.

Riley Finn
02-10-2005, 11:49 AM
4 and counting..too bad we can't see who voted for which option.

wimbledonfan
02-10-2005, 12:40 PM
Imagine Pete Sampras was playing back then when all the tournaments were held on grass , I think he would have won about 20 majors .

Anyways , Pete Sampras's 6 years retaining the number 1 title is the clear choice for me .

jtipson
02-10-2005, 12:57 PM
I think ending 6 years at number one is rather over-rated. Nobody used to talk about "ending" the year at the top. After all, it's possible someone else can be the top dog all year, and player x just gets to number one in the last couple of weeks - suddenly they are "number one for the year". Even Roddick managed that. How many of those 6 years did Sampras hold the number one spot through the entire year? Just two, actually: 1994 and 1997.

Whilst he has the most weeks at the top in total, Pete's longest consecutive streak at number one was 102 weeks, which was well exceeded by Connors and Lendl. In fact, Connors had 160 weeks, lost the top spot to Borg for a single week, and then reigned for another 84. That's more impressive imo.

TheMightyFed
02-10-2005, 01:06 PM
I think ending 6 years at number one is rather over-rated.

:haha: a good laugh at this one, as people usually find it under-rated... Imagine for a minute what pain you have to go through to achieve that, even with holes here and there during the year, this is astounding. Motivation, physical strength, fighting spirit, all that at the top 6 fucking years in a row... you must kidding, I don't see other options...
I wanted to add Lendl in the poll for that kind of acomplishment, but he didn't manage to break or keep the records, though remaning close 2nd or 3rd in number of tournies and weeks number one.

Even Roddick managed that. .

:haha: Agree given the remaining holes in his game (clay and BH/volley)

wimbledonfan
02-10-2005, 01:11 PM
It is widely agreed that Petes accomplishment of retaining his number 1 rank for 6 years to be considered one of the best achievements of all time. It is not an easy proposition for a player to be on top of his game for 6 years when all the players are gunning for you . Every player was trying to figure out a way to beat him , but all failed miserably . Also , for most of the year he was ranked # 1 but a few times during the year he would lose his number 1 ranking . I still think it is an amazing achievement to be number 1 for almost 300 weeks .

I must say Ivan Lendle deserves some attention as well .

jtipson
02-10-2005, 01:23 PM
Yes, you're quite right, it is an amazing achievement. I just don't like how the goals and expectations have shifted, and I don't like Sampras ;)

TheMightyFed
02-10-2005, 01:35 PM
I just don't like how the goals and expectations have shifted
meaning ?

jtipson
02-10-2005, 01:51 PM
Meaning that year end number one didn't ever use to count for anything until Sampras.

Nacho
02-10-2005, 01:51 PM
Laver's 2 Grand Slams hands down

Riley Finn
02-10-2005, 01:52 PM
can it be hands up?

TheBoiledEgg
02-10-2005, 01:58 PM
Sampras 6 yrs ending as #1

surely Edberg's 1992 US Open win deserves to be up there :p
that was the tourn of all tourns.

TheMightyFed
02-10-2005, 02:03 PM
Meaning that year end number one didn't ever use to count for anything until Sampras.
It's another way to express the 14 slams bottom-line, but it gives also a measure consistency during those years. This respect for consistency has always existed, Tilden's invicibility in USO in the 20's is an example... ;)

TheMightyFed
02-10-2005, 02:04 PM
Sampras 6 yrs ending as #1

surely Edberg's 1992 US Open win deserves to be up there :p
that was the tourn of all tourns.
Then what about Johansson win in AO ? Just kidding...

heya
02-10-2005, 02:08 PM
:yawn:
Did the genius beat Hewitt + had to play his best to beat a 34-year-old Agassi? Rain delays, easy draws, extra practice on Center Court & injured opponents helped him win?
He gave a kleenex-worthy press conference because of his booboo injury in Basel.

The :baby: got whooped by Safin? More debilitating injuries there too.
Awwww, poor thing managed to reach #1 under such horrific circumstances.
Don't worry. He'll win 15 slams when 1 part of his magical repertoire is taken away.

wimbledonfan
02-10-2005, 02:09 PM
I also think Michael Chang winning a slam at his height is a great accomplishment ...haha

TheMightyFed
02-10-2005, 02:11 PM
Did the genius beat Hewitt + had to play his best to beat a 34-year-old Agassi? Rain delays, easy draws, extra practice on Center Court & injured opponents helped him win?
He gave a kleenex-worthy press conference because of his booboo injury in Basel.

Don't worry. He'll win 15 slams when 1 part of his magical repertoire is taken away.
I didn't get your post better than your avatar, but that might be funny... ;)

Auscon
02-10-2005, 02:17 PM

I'm lost :)

TheMightyFed
02-10-2005, 02:40 PM
I'm lost :)
Is it allowed to post under drug consumption on this board :smoke: ? ;)

Chloe le Bopper
02-10-2005, 03:58 PM
I'm more impressed by Borg's Wimbledon/RG collection and Laver's Grand Slams than I am by Pete's consecutive years at the top. That's not to say that what Pete did was not impressive.

BlackSilver
02-10-2005, 04:18 PM
I go with Sampras six years as number one

Lee
02-10-2005, 04:29 PM
I vote for Pete ending #1 6 consecutive year.

I may be bias in the way that I only start watching tennis in 1990s. Know nothing about tennis before that. From where I was, I didn't know about Laver and Villas. Connors and McEnroe were brats (that's the image for non-tennis fans) and Borg was an eccentric.

intikab
02-10-2005, 04:37 PM
Voted for Sampras winning 14 slams. Winning 7 Wimbledons in 8 years (!!!) along with 5 USO, 2A0, 5 Masters is a gargantuan achievement. Chose this over finishing 6yrs at #1 because while it is very impressive, I believe number 1 position is a reflection of real achievements like winning slams (&tourneys), and is not a tangible achievement by itself.

For Federer, there should have been option for his 23 consecutive victories over top 10 players. I wonder what the longest such streak is for any player.

jtipson
02-10-2005, 04:57 PM
For Federer, there should have been option for his 23 consecutive victories over top 10 players. I wonder what the longest such streak is for any player.

See the option for Vilas :)

yanchr
02-10-2005, 05:08 PM
Close call between Laver's 2 Grand Slams, Sampras's 6 years in a row as world number 1
and Borg's 6 FO/5 Wimbledon.

I go with Borg.

Dirk
02-10-2005, 05:16 PM
Heya did Andy in his sham of a slam win do it without the help of the USTA????? Roger's win at the USO was much more credible than Andy's win. Roger lost 7-9 in the 5th to Marat, the second most talented player on the tour. Andy lost 1-6 in the 4th to someone who doesn't have huge weapons. Which loss would you rather have?

Riley Finn
02-10-2005, 05:18 PM
Heya :swoon:
My one and only ignore buddy!

intikab
02-10-2005, 05:20 PM
See the option for Vilas :)

I suspect not all those 50 wins were over top-10 players.

jtipson
02-10-2005, 05:30 PM
Sorry, misread your original. Most likely not, I agree :)

David Kenzie
02-10-2005, 08:01 PM
While considering only the achievements (not which players I prefer) and I was torn between both of Sampras' options and Agassi's "Career Gland Slam". I finally opted for Sampras' 14 GS titles. Also I think tennis has changed so much in the past 30 years that Laver's 2 Grand Slams don't mean much to me (no disrespect to him though)

TheMightyFed
02-10-2005, 08:11 PM
While considering only the achievements (not which players I prefer) and I was torn between both of Sampras' options and Agassi's "Career Gland Slam". I finally opted for Sampras' 14 GS titles. Also I think tennis has changed so much in the past 30 years that Laver's 2 Grand Slams don't mean much to me (no disrespect to him though)
Laver's 69 Grand Slam is still a great achievement IMO, any player doing RG-Wimby back to back is an exceptional champion (there are about 6 in all history I think). Plus the 2 others slams with such big draws, best of 5 sets, best players in the world, big pressure for the USO. Even if three of them were on grass, this is a big stuff. :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

heya
02-10-2005, 08:49 PM
I'm shocked. The sanctimonious ones here could post about other players.
I've LOVED Pretty "Mighty Purrrty" Fed ever since he was born.
The modest, straight boy is perfect. Thank God.

I'm so glad that bad attitudes, bad coaching, poor fitness & bad line calls never hurt his opponents.

No one wants Fed to fake injury & to get special treatment.
I'll be sure to tell Jim Courier & the McEnroe brothers to show him love. :inlove:
Oops, I stopped caring. :yawn:

wimbledonfan
02-11-2005, 11:29 AM
Here is an achievement by Ivan Lendle that hasn't been mentioned so far . For 7 years out of his career , Ivan Lendle managed to win 20 grand slam matches for that year . Considering a player can win a maximum of 27 matches for that year , that means he would quite often reach the semifinals or better on all 4 of the majors . For that reason alone , I put Lendle as the most all around player in the last era .

TheMightyFed
02-14-2005, 02:56 PM
Interesting to see that Sampras' 6 years (end) on top of the rankings is considered as the greatest achievement. In a recent interview, he mentioned that this level of consistency and sacrifice, year after year, was a painful experience. It explains in part why he wanted to leave the tennis world after he retired. He also said that this dedication would be the most difficult challenge of Federer, even for such a gifted player, as he'll have to go through injuries and many difficult moments to defend his titles and points. When you think that a monster of work-ethic and commitment as Lendl is just second to Sampras...

The second tied events are Laver's 2 slams and Borg's 6RG/5W. Here what is rewarded is the versatility above all. These 2 masters are the only ones to have achieved incredible results both on clay and grass since the 50's. Laver was a natural grass player, as Borg was a natural clay player. Even Agassi's career slam looks pale compared to what these two giants have achieved. The funny thing is that for a player of that caliber who would play today (say, Federer), there is room for improvement, as Laver was not playing the slams during several years, and Borg was reluctant to play in USO and AO... but unfortunately the competition has increased dramatically since then.

tennisvideos
02-15-2005, 01:50 AM
And how about Ken Rosewall:

Youngest and Oldest Winner of the US Open (1956 & 1970) and Australian Open (1953, 55, 71 & 72) and oldest and 2nd youngest winner at the French Open. (1953 & 68)
Youngest and Oldest Runner Up at Wimbledon (1954, 56, 70, 74).

8 Singles Grand Slam titles and he wasn't eligible to play in them for 11 years during what would have been his peak (1957-68). So he missed out on playing in 44 Grand Slam titles - imagine how many he may have won. And he dominated Laver in Laver's first few years in the Pro ranks. 18 Grand Slam titles including doubles.

His last professional triumph was recorded two weeks after his 43rd birthday, in Hong Kong, where he beat Tom Gorman in 1977.

He was still a tough professional in 1978 at the age of 44! His year-end ranking in 1977, is beyond belief, he was in the world's Top 15 players, having won two of 24 tournaments, with a year match record of 44-23.

Socket
02-15-2005, 01:58 AM
As far as I'm concerned, the single greatest achievement in modern men's tennis history is Andre Agassi convincing Steff Graf to marry him and bear his children. How he achieved this when there's photographic evidence of him wearing both a mullet and hot pink bike shorts, I'll never understand.

Manila ESQ
02-15-2005, 09:00 AM
agassi's career grand slam came from 4 different surfaces:
melbourne: rebound ace
paris: clay
wimbledon: grass
new york: hard

i voted for andre!

Riley Finn
02-15-2005, 09:03 AM
As far as I'm concerned, the single greatest achievement in modern men's tennis history is Andre Agassi convincing Steff Graf to marry him and bear his children. How he achieved this when there's photographic evidence of him wearing both a mullet and hot pink bike shorts, I'll never understand.

Probably the same way LH manages to persuade girls to take a ring from him.

J. Corwin
02-15-2005, 09:11 AM
I choose Andre's Career Grand Slam! No I'm not biased at all! He's the only player to have won all the slams, on 4 different surfaces..

Nah I'm just kidding...

I choose Lavers' 2 Grand Slams. No other player has won a Grand Slam other than Don Budge and Rod's done it twice.

TheMightyFed
02-15-2005, 09:32 AM

Youngest and Oldest Winner of the US Open (1956 & 1970) and Australian Open (1953, 55, 71 & 72) and oldest and 2nd youngest winner at the French Open. (1953 & 68)

8 Singles Grand Slam titles and he wasn't eligible to play in them for 11 years during what would have been his peak (1957-68). So he missed out on playing in 44 Grand Slam titles - imagine how many he may have won. And he dominated Laver in Laver's first few years in the Pro ranks. 18 Grand Slam titles including doubles.

His last professional triumph was recorded two weeks after his 43rd birthday, in Hong Kong, where he beat Tom Gorman in 1977.

He was still a tough professional in 1978 at the age of 44! His year-end ranking in 1977, is beyond belief, he was in the world's Top 15 players, having won two of 24 tournaments, with a year match record of 44-23.
OK, I admire Rosewall as well for his incredible longevity, but what ahcivement in itself would compete with the others ? Still hard to be in the top 3 IMO... no "IF" are allowed... ;)

TheMightyFed
02-15-2005, 09:33 AM

:haha: :haha: :haha: :rocker2: :rolls: :rolls:
I love the "both"... :wavey:

Boris Franz Ecker
02-15-2005, 09:50 AM
Michael Chang winning French Open 1989 and Boris Becker winning Wimbledon 1985.
Boris Becker defending Wimbledon title 1986.

That was great and really special.

Rod Laver doesn't belong to modern tennis.

TheMightyFed
02-15-2005, 09:59 AM
Michael Chang winning French Open 1989 and Boris Becker winning Wimbledon 1985.
Boris Becker defending Wimbledon title 1986.

That was great and really special.

Rod Laver doesn't belong to modern tennis.
You're joking in both cases I think
-BB's results, yet admirable, are not comparable to Sampras', Laver's or Borg's acomplishments.. not to mention's Chang run in RG that was fantastic, but youth alone doesn't make greatness
-Laver played in Open Era till the 70's (like Borg and Connors)
:worship:

sigmagirl91
02-15-2005, 10:49 AM
I'm shocked. The sanctimonious ones here could post about other players.
I've LOVED Pretty "Mighty Purrrty" Fed ever since he was born.
The modest, straight boy is perfect. Thank God.

I'm so glad that bad attitudes, bad coaching, poor fitness & bad line calls never hurt his opponents.

No one wants Fed to fake injury & to get special treatment.
I'll be sure to tell Jim Courier & the McEnroe brothers to show him love. :inlove:
Oops, I stopped caring. :yawn:

Back awaaaaaaaaaaaaay from the crack pipe. :devil:

TheMightyFed
02-15-2005, 11:05 AM
Back awaaaaaaaaaaaaay from the crack pipe. :devil:
and every legal or illegal perception-modifying substances around... ;)

joske
02-15-2005, 04:05 PM
Eventho i don't really like Sampras i voted for the 6 years as number 1.. not very easy to do as we all understand.. i mean how quickly things in the mens ranking can change.. look at Ferrero's ranking after one bad year, what is he ranked these days, 64 or sth???

federer express
02-15-2005, 04:08 PM

i know...who the hell is voting for federer on that list?! he/she/they must be slightly mad :confused:

Auscon
02-16-2005, 02:15 AM

until it was mentioned at the Aus Open final, all I was aware of was his oldest/youngest Aus open winner status

incredible longevity

vogus
02-16-2005, 03:37 AM
for me it's Agassi winning all the Grand Slams.

Look at all the greats of the last 3 decades - Borg, Sampras, McEnroe, Connors, Lendl, Edberg, Becker, Wilander, Federer - all of them failed to win that elusive fourth GS tournie (and Laver did it when the USO was still played on grass, so it's a different thing). Agassi really stands out from his historical rivals in this department.

Ultraman
02-16-2005, 04:03 AM
Slams are the bottom-line, imo. (Sampras)