Is James Blake mentally weak? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Is James Blake mentally weak?

henree
02-09-2005, 10:43 PM
Vince Spadea Def James Blake 6-3, 6-0
There seems to be a pattern with Blake where if he looses the first set of a match there is a 90 % chance he goes down in flames in straight sets. Where is the fight with this guy?

Horatio Caine
02-09-2005, 10:48 PM
From what I saw at the Aussie open he hits the ball very hard doesn't like to get involved in long rallies. When he tries to cut the rally short he either wins the point or loses it on that basis. It is fairly weak percentage play and when he plays players like Spadea where he needs a great deal of patience, if he isn't on the ball he tends to go down quickly.

That is how I see it - I may be wrong though.

superpinkone37
02-09-2005, 10:49 PM
umm well since he has been out of competition for some time now his confidence is probably just really low right now. He will come back though :)

Sjengster
02-09-2005, 10:57 PM
I do think he suffers from nerves (the match against Federer at the US Open was a classic case of trying too hard, and he was being outplayed anyway), but it's hard to tell when your game has absolutely no Plan B and involves thumping every forehand at a million miles an hour. I'm telling you, when he played the final in Long Island the week before that US Open loss to Federer, he managed to make Srichaphan look like a model of consistency and percentage play on the other side of the net, and that's no mean feat.

Coleburg83
02-09-2005, 11:12 PM
"umm well since he has been out of competition for some time now his confidence is probably just really low right now. He will come back though "

He's always played like that.

paige
02-09-2005, 11:27 PM
Well he broke his neck less than a year ago. That affects you -- and more some days than others... maybe the Australia temperature suited him, made it more comfortable for him.

I don't think his resolve is as strong as it could be. But even more I don't think his health is where it should be. It takes time. And takes diff. people diff. lengths of time.

superpinkone37
02-09-2005, 11:38 PM
"umm well since he has been out of competition for some time now his confidence is probably just really low right now. He will come back though "

He's always played like that.

Well that is kinda true but I have hope for James. :).

Socket
02-10-2005, 12:01 AM
Vince Spadea Def James Blake 6-3, 6-0
There seems to be a pattern with Blake where if he looses the first set of a match there is a 90 % chance he goes down in flames in straight sets. Where is the fight with this guy?
Yep. And the final set is frequently something like 6-0 or 6-1. He seems to lose faith that he can turn a match around, and that's fatal at the pro level.

Golfnduck
02-10-2005, 01:46 AM
I think it also could be lack of playing. He did have alot of stuff happen to him last year. It could take him awhile to bounce back.

Prizeidiot
02-10-2005, 09:07 AM
His injuries and events from last year obviously have taken some confidence away from him. But part of it is the way he plays. He comes out all guns blazing, and if he doesn't hit the other guy off the court, it's like "Well, what the heck else can I do? I've given it everything, and the guy is still alive"

TheMightyFed
02-10-2005, 12:28 PM
I was surprised in AO, I left the TV set with him thrashing Big Mouth (Hewitt), I came back to see the Aussie's victory. It seems to pay attention to Hewitt's antics, so in that regard he's pretty weak compared to Fed/Sefin/Agassi...

paige
02-10-2005, 04:05 PM
His injuries and events from last year obviously have taken some confidence away from him. But part of it is the way he plays. He comes out all guns blazing, and if he doesn't hit the other guy off the court, it's like "Well, what the heck else can I do? I've given it everything, and the guy is still alive"

Maybe it's something like this... If the other guy starts coming back on him, he kind of notices a little bit more how his neck is maybe aching a bit or what not.
You know how it's so easy to do things when they're going well for you, but the minute there's a setback all the other things that are there weighing on you become more apparent?