Do you like SI's Jon Wertheim's mailbag ? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Do you like SI's Jon Wertheim's mailbag ?

TheMightyFed
02-09-2005, 09:20 AM
I pretty much appreciate this guy on www.SI.com
Sometimes he crosses the line but at least he says what he thinks without politically correctness, and he's funny.
What do you think ?

jmp
02-09-2005, 09:55 AM
I voted yes. That's where I used to get my tennis fix before I found MTF and WTAWorld. I think it's an excellent way for casual fans to keep up with tennis happenings, also. I still read it. It's great fodder for discussions here.

TheMightyFed
02-09-2005, 10:11 AM
That's where I used to get my tennis fix before I found MTF and WTAWorld.
:lol: Jon, the dealer... ;)

PaulieM
02-09-2005, 01:37 PM
don't know about it being good analysis but it's funny/interesting to read sometimes, so i voted yes

the cat
02-09-2005, 02:30 PM
I voted yes. But it's a lukewarm yes. ;)

jmp
02-09-2005, 02:43 PM
mdhubert - "Jon, the dealer" :lol:

Leena
02-09-2005, 02:51 PM
I voted no.

I don't know how this guy snuck his way into getting paid for writing.

He makes the simplest errors that would take a second to check. He makes crude, unfunny jokes.

SwissMister1
02-09-2005, 05:22 PM
He's never going to win a Pulitzer Prize or anything like that, but he does a decent enough job of appealing to the casual and dedicated fans alike, and is an entertaining enough read.

euroka1
02-09-2005, 05:53 PM
Now I know him! thanks

vogus
02-10-2005, 03:35 AM
I voted no.

I don't know how this guy snuck his way into getting paid for writing.

He makes the simplest errors that would take a second to check. He makes crude, unfunny jokes.

LOL, i can totally see you taking over his job in a couple of years. :)

the poll is flawed because like The Cat pointed out, the answer for most of us is somewhere between the first and the second choices. Wertheim obviously is not a tennis player, and he doesn't know shit about the nuts and bolts of how the game is played. He's a basketball writer who latched on to tennis.

On the other hand, i'm glad he latched onto tennis, because he brings a shrewd independent viewpoint on the political/business side of the sport, and unlike most of the other bozos out there he is a real, professional journalist.

martirogi
02-10-2005, 03:37 AM
well its better than nothing.

Chloe le Bopper
02-10-2005, 03:41 AM
Yes, very much. He's not perfect, but his column is entertaining. Even more so when he's wrong ;)

Leena
02-10-2005, 03:43 AM
LOL, i can totally see you taking over his job in a couple of years.

When am I ever wrong.

liptea
02-10-2005, 03:58 AM
LOL, i can totally see you taking over his job in a couple of years. :)

the poll is flawed because like The Cat pointed out, the answer for most of us is somewhere between the first and the second choices. Wertheim obviously is not a tennis player, and he doesn't know shit about the nuts and bolts of how the game is played. He's a basketball writer who latched on to tennis.

On the other hand, i'm glad he latched onto tennis, because he brings a shrewd independent viewpoint on the political/business side of the sport, and unlike most of the other bozos out there he is a real, professional journalist.

I think he's good for tennis. Most of the people on the si.com website are not ardent tennis fans, and the way he writes is appealing to the masses. So sometimes he screws up, but it's not like his average Mailbag reader is really going to notice, care or insert his facts in daily conversation.

Plus, once he compared Guillermo Coria's looks to the guy that runs Iron Chef and I think he's completely right.

LiZpHaIr
02-10-2005, 04:19 AM
I voted the last one..Worthless bugs me.

MissMoJo
02-10-2005, 04:38 AM
Plus, once he compared Guillermo Coria's looks to the guy that runs Iron Chef and I think he's completely right.

Chairman Kaga......Guille+20yrs+sequins, yes

darnyelb
02-10-2005, 05:00 AM
I enjoy his columns. He's hysterical.

drf716
02-10-2005, 06:37 AM
yes, only because he answers all of my questions. and i like seeing my name hehehe

heya
02-10-2005, 06:41 AM
What's the difference between Pat McEnroe and Werthless? One face is on TV for no good reason.

Prizeidiot
02-10-2005, 09:15 AM
I enjoy it. If he's right, good on him. If he's wrong, it's a good laugh. Throw in the fact that I will enjoy anything to do with tennis, and it's win win

Sjengster
02-10-2005, 02:19 PM
The problem I have with Wertheim is this:

"It's about time U.S. TV networks and fans learnt to appreciate foreign players more; when USTA suits are thrusting Ashley Harkleroad down our throats by putting her on Arthur Ashe while Juan Carlos Ferrero is labouring on the Grandstand court, something is badly wrong. Wouldn't it be great if they could enjoy the game of a Kim Clijsters, an Elena Dementieva, a Guillermo Coria or a Rafael Nadal?"

All well and good, but usually followed by this:

"At the Paris Indoor Masters event, French youngsters Joey Tsonga and Gael Monfils beat Mario Ancic and Tom Enqvist respectively. Bill Coria continues to make a good comeback from surgery, while Arnie Clement's recent tour slump is getting progressively worse..."

It would be terribly nice if Wertheim could practise what he preaches and stop Anglicising foreign players' names. Do they talk about Andres Agassi over in Spain? No. And over half the sporting references and analogies in his column are completely incomprehensible to me, but that's the cultural divide for you. I still broadly agree with the sentiments expressed in the Bag, although his crackpot ideas for bastardising the Slams by making the first week best of three do not meet with approval from me.

TheMightyFed
02-10-2005, 02:31 PM
"At the Paris Indoor Masters event, French youngsters Joey Tsonga and Gael Monfils beat Mario Ancic and Tom Enqvist respectively. Bill Coria continues to make a good comeback from surgery, while Arnie Clement's recent tour slump is getting progressively worse..."

I agree with the NBA, NFL and even college tennis references I don't give a shit about, and it's in total contradiction with what he preaches. But the Arnies and the "Bills" or even "Willy Coria" make me laugh as it really sounds like they are good friends of his. So minor stuff IMO for an American journalist. When I hear some people calling Serena a greater star than Fed, then I'm about to puke... ;) :scared:

tennischick
02-10-2005, 02:49 PM
what Sjengsta said :worship:

i'm glad that Jon's column exists. i think that any kind of exposure for tennis is good. even the media franzy over Hewitt's frequent engagements is good for tennis IMO.

but it really truly pisses me off when Jon anglicizes the names of foreign players. i think that all it does is makes readers even more confused about who these players are and in the end, they remain even more unknown. unless that is really his agenda. :mad:

recommendation to all -- please send Jon an email and ask him to stop doing it. he does read our emails and we may have an impact.

TheMightyFed
02-10-2005, 02:57 PM
even the media franzy over Hewitt's frequent engagements is good for tennis IMO.:haha:
Some players must be thanked for the hype they created around the game in the media: Thanks Borg for your pop star attitude, thanks Becker for your charsima and interest in many subjects, and thanks Lleyton for your... engagements :haha: :haha:

TheMightyFed
02-10-2005, 03:06 PM
what's his address by the way ?

Nimomunz
02-10-2005, 05:26 PM
He's hilarious!!! Even when he says really mean things (and you know he does) they are wat we was all thinking!! ;)

Geniey2g
02-10-2005, 07:13 PM
He's hilarious!!! Even when he says really mean things (and you know he does) they are wat we was all thinking!! ;)
Exactly; I don't have a problem with his column...just the wack new SI webpage layout! :(

Coleburg83
02-10-2005, 07:32 PM
"Sometimes he crosses the line but at least he says what he thinks without politically correctness, and he's funny?"

Are you joking. Wertheim is the classic example of the politically correct sports journalist.

TheMightyFed
02-10-2005, 07:47 PM
"Sometimes he crosses the line but at least he says what he thinks without politically correctness, and he's funny?"

Are you joking. Wertheim is the classic example of the politically correct sports journalist.

No I'm not, when he supports a player that says " Amélie Mauresmo is half a man", I'm not... and he doesn't hesitate to answer questions frankly, giving his opinion and not just a vague consensual opinion, and plus I like his humour but it's personal. His references to American sports that nobody knows elsewhere is just boring but that's all.... ;)

Turkeyballs Paco
02-10-2005, 08:03 PM
I like those choices... mine's a Yes, but not overly so. Just so-so.