Who is the BEST claycourt tennis player today??? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Who is the BEST claycourt tennis player today???

willie
02-08-2005, 05:42 PM
i think is between the two finalists of roland garros, gaudio and coria.

Drimal
02-08-2005, 05:45 PM
Speed king Guillermo Coria! :D

TheMightyFed
02-08-2005, 06:05 PM
Mardy Fish IMO

Leena
02-08-2005, 06:06 PM
Ginepri.

Elwing
02-08-2005, 06:18 PM
Coria is he best nowadays, Gaudio is my favourite cuz i love his play style and geniousis and Safin is the best ranked and he's playing great tennis so i'm guessing he could be doing great things in clay cuz he's not that stranger to the surface...

*Viva Chile*
02-08-2005, 06:22 PM
Mardy Fish IMO

Ginepri.

:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

Fergie
02-08-2005, 06:22 PM
Gaston ... He is playing an amazing tennis this year :worship:

Neely
02-08-2005, 06:26 PM
going by holding current biggest title ---> Gaudio

going by the factors: overall impressiveness on clay throughout almost his whole career, clay winning streak, titles on clay etc.... ---> Coria

Guga and Ferrero don't qualify anymore... neither do Costa, Corretja, Moya etc when asking for the BEST claycourter

Julio1974
02-08-2005, 06:26 PM
1) Coria 2) Moya 3) Gaudio. But all of them may be defeated by Federer or Safin. Hewitt and Roddick have no chance against them on clay.

alfajeffster
02-08-2005, 06:34 PM
"Bjorn Borg, he is from another planet"- Ilie Nastase

Chloe le Bopper
02-08-2005, 06:59 PM
I agree with Neely.. it's Coria or Gaudio, and it depends on how you want to look at it.

Leena
02-08-2005, 07:08 PM
Robredo.

Despite winning Barcelona, if he played Fish or Roddick on clay... you know he'd lose.

So:

1. Ginepri
2. Fish
3. Roddick.

joeb_uk
02-08-2005, 07:13 PM
Ahh yes we cant forget the clay clown andy, any list wouldnt be complete without him.
But seriously i think its either gaudio or coria, its hard to call coria the best when he hasnt a won a slam but then again his claycourt record deserves a special award. It will be interesting to see how gaudio backups his french open win.

BlackSilver
02-08-2005, 07:40 PM
What the hell......... The question was who is the best clay player Today, eight of February of 2005, not who was the best clay player in the last year or 25 years ago. The best clay player today IS Gaston Gaudio, besides that, he has been since june of last year and will continue to be at least until next Sunday. Coria didn't play a clay tournament in the last six months, so the answer is obviously Gaudio, this is a fact, shouldn't be discussed

robinhood
02-08-2005, 07:46 PM
Fed

User id 7816
02-08-2005, 08:04 PM
Obviously Coria and Gaudio are the 2 best players on clay (apart from Roddick,Ginepri and Fish) and I suppose Coria fans wud say Coria, Gaudio's wud say Gaudio...it just depends on what you enjoy watching more, the everlasting running skills of Coria or Gaston's fine backhand ralleys, ya know :p

Ferrero's there too, though not at the moment.

maratski
02-08-2005, 08:08 PM
I see Marat has got two votes and I'd like to state that I wasn't one of the people who voted for him. I voted for Juanca. :angel:

tennisman.
02-08-2005, 09:09 PM
Esa

tennisman.
02-08-2005, 09:10 PM
I see Marat has got two votes and I'd like to state that I wasn't one of the people who voted for him. I voted for Juanca. :angel:
Hey maratski who is that girl in your avatar?

athie
02-08-2005, 10:26 PM
If you meant today literally then probably not Volandri :devil:

Golfnduck
02-08-2005, 10:29 PM
Moya

MisterQ
02-08-2005, 11:07 PM
I would say Coria, but of course the results this spring will tell us the answer. ;)

Scotso
02-08-2005, 11:43 PM
I don't see how people can not vote for Gaudio. He's clearly the best on clay at the moment. Coria might be better when he plays, but he simply hasn't played on clay in a long time.

And the people that voted for Federer, I really hope you're joking.

BlackSilver
02-09-2005, 12:07 AM
I don't see how people can not vote for Gaudio. He's clearly the best on clay at the moment. Coria might be better when he plays, but he simply hasn't played on clay in a long time.

Exactly what I am saying, but people apparently can't distinguish this year from last one.

The question wasn't about the best player in last year

There was only one tournament on clay this year, and the winner was Gaston Gaudio. So he is clearly the best clay courter on the moment. What Coria, Moya or even Federer did last year is useless to make comparisons on the moment, this was much months before, they can be playing totally different now (better or worse, doesn't really matter). This can start to change in the next few hours if Gaudio lose easily in the first round, but for now, Gaudio IS the best player and this is a FACT.

bad gambler
02-09-2005, 12:12 AM
gaudio - isn't that what RG proved? :)

jazz_girl
02-09-2005, 12:16 AM
At the moment Gastón is the best :)

undomiele
02-09-2005, 12:39 AM
I voted for Coria cos although I respect Gaudio I just believe that Coria will have a better clay season than el Gato.

LiZpHaIr
02-09-2005, 12:42 AM
Gaudio.

Human Washington
02-09-2005, 12:51 AM
Well since Kuerten was the boss, Ferrero looked like he might take over as the King on clay. He only won the Roland Garros slam once; his injury has prevented him claiming this title. Sure Coria was the best player last year, and showed promise late in 2003 as well-taking the scraps when Ferrero was done....and Gaudio does indeed have a beautiful one handed backhand, but 2005 should see Moya, Nadal and Safin all have a reasonable chance at winning titles on clay...

TheMightyFed
02-09-2005, 07:20 AM
I didn'tvote for Roger but just having a look at how he kicked asses of a bunch of the best so-called "claycourters" in Hambourg, he can be eligible for sure... :worship:

Washa Koroleva
02-09-2005, 07:40 AM
Coria

As soon as he feels perfect again.

Choupi
02-09-2005, 08:28 AM
I've voted for Gaudio. Not because I'm a fan, but because he has a great game on clay,because his win in RG last year has proved it, because he's just won the Vina tournament on clay,because he has reached 5 finals in a row in the last clay tournaments he's taken part.

I will keep an eye on Nadal because he has really impressed me when I saw his game in the DC in the semi and in the final.

Ferrero Forever
02-09-2005, 09:18 AM
The one, the only JUAN CARLOS FERRERO

Washa Koroleva
02-09-2005, 09:32 AM
I've voted for Gaudio. Not because I'm a fan, but because he has a great game on clay,because his win in RG last year has proved it, because he's just won the Vina tournament on clay,because he has reached 5 finals in a row in the last clay tournaments he's taken part.

I will keep an eye on Nadal because he has really impressed me when I saw his game in the DC in the semi and in the final.

I'd definitely go for Gaudio after Coria. I still kinda feel that Coria's better though.
Emmm... Canas beat Gaudio on clay... What's with him?

Experimentee
02-09-2005, 11:49 AM
The best clay player today is Gaudio. That may change when some of these other guys start to play clay tournaments.

HybridTheory
02-09-2005, 11:52 AM
El Gato :worship:

joka
02-09-2005, 12:20 PM
Gaudio,without question...

maratski
02-09-2005, 12:26 PM
Hey maratski who is that girl in your avatar?

That's me. :) My name is Dasha Zhukova. Sometimes people also call me Ilhame.

:wavey:

Angle Queen
02-09-2005, 12:36 PM
Wish I had seen enough matches on clay to develop a truly informed decision...but based on both last and this year's results...I'll go with Gaudio but I believe Coria, if healthy, will give him a run for his money this year. In that vein then, I agree with these folks:

going by holding current biggest title ---> Gaudio

going by the factors: overall impressiveness on clay throughout almost his whole career, clay winning streak, titles on clay etc.... ---> CoriaI would say Coria, but of course the results this spring will tell us the answer. ;)I voted for Coria cos although I respect Gaudio I just believe that Coria will have a better clay season than el Gato.

TheMightyFed
02-09-2005, 01:49 PM
I believe Coria, if healthy
So you can vote for Gaudio straight away !! ;)

espanol04
02-09-2005, 01:59 PM
Of course Coria!

Leena
02-09-2005, 02:03 PM
gaudio - isn't that what RG proved? :)
Roddick has the same amount of clay titles.

Angle Queen
02-09-2005, 02:12 PM
I believe Coria, if healthySo you can vote for Gaudio straight away !! ;)I did.

AQ

TheMightyFed
02-09-2005, 02:16 PM
Roddick has the same amount of clay titles.
:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: ouch, that was not a joke ? Sorry :)

undomiele
02-09-2005, 03:02 PM
I didn'tvote for Roger but just having a look at how he kicked asses of a bunch of the best so-called "claycourters" in Hambourg, he can be eligible for sure... :worship:

Maybe because he has yet to get past the 3rd round of RG? I don't recall them having that problem. :rolleyes: No wonder you didnt vote for him.

TheMightyFed
02-09-2005, 03:05 PM
Maybe because he has yet to get past the 3rd round of RG? I don't recall them having that problem. :rolleyes: No wonder you didnt vote for him.
:haha: :haha: :haha: very funny... I didn't vote for him because he's not the best on clay, but watch out around May 29th, 2005, RF is angry, he didn't appreciate this lost match point in SF in Melbourne, I tell ya :fiery:

undomiele
02-09-2005, 03:31 PM
Pffff. I'm not worried. Roger will be out of gas by Round 4 --judging by his very negative 5 set record in GSlams.

Jenrios
02-09-2005, 03:35 PM
Gaudio!

jtipson
02-09-2005, 03:54 PM

3rd round? I know you're not convinced about Federer at RG yet, but give him some credit, he has done better than that (quarter-final, fourth round).

Becool
02-09-2005, 03:58 PM
Gaudio is right now.
It's really funny to see JCF at 3rd position, since he hasn't done much of lately, how can you ppl know?

roisin
02-09-2005, 04:20 PM
i want to say jcf cos on his day he is the best

alfonsojose
02-09-2005, 04:27 PM
Gambill, even more now with his devasting one-handed forehand ;)

undomiele
02-09-2005, 06:43 PM
3rd round? I know you're not convinced about Federer at RG yet, but give him some credit, he has done better than that (quarter-final, fourth round).

The point is he hasn't done better than that.
He hasn't been past the third round at RG jtipson. Im not making this up.

That said, I think a lot of the other claycourters have more stamina and ability for the surface than he does when it comes to playing for 2 weeks. I don't think he'll go as far as people think. After winning straight set matches at AO with a player retiring he still wasnt fit enough for the SF. And thats the AO. He'd better shape up if he wants to survive the 1st week at RG! Cos at that venue there will be more guys than just Marat who'll be able to take him to 5 sets and make him sweat.

shaoyu
02-09-2005, 07:11 PM
The point is he hasn't done better than that.
He hasn't been past the third round at RG jtipson. Im not making this up.

Year AO RG WBL USO

1999 - 1ST 1ST -
2000 3RD 4TH 1ST 3RD
2001 3RD QF QF 4TH
2002 4TH 1ST 1ST 4TH
2003 4TH 1ST WON 4TH
2004 WON 3RD WON WON

jtipson
02-09-2005, 07:19 PM
Thanks shaoyu :)

undomiele, whilst I acknowledge that Roger's RG record is hardly glowing, it's not fair to judge the man when you don't actually know what his results there have been. Should I post his (admittedly short) list of five-set wins in Paris, where he won 8-6 and 9-7 in the final set, or would you prefer to look it up ;) ?

undomiele
02-09-2005, 07:44 PM
I was mistaken, Shaoyu. I admit it. Ill be sure to eat crow for the fact that Roger went from being a better player at RG before he broke out to being a relatively disappointing one after. And yes, I researched the draws, as soon as he came across a good claycourter he got pretty much got killed. (Though that can't be said for his 1st round losses. ;) )

I won't make that mistake again.

undomiele
02-09-2005, 08:59 PM
Thanks shaoyu :)

undomiele, whilst I acknowledge that Roger's RG record is hardly glowing, it's not fair to judge the man when you don't actually know what his results there have been. Should I post his (admittedly short) list of five-set wins in Paris, where he won 8-6 and 9-7 in the final set, or would you prefer to look it up ;) ?

I think its certainly fair to judge an athlete on his results for the past 3 years. Jtipson if youre going to nail me for not knowing RF'S results for 2001 and 2000 then go ahead -- I really dont care. I think Ive made some really solid points as to why Roger won't go far this year, he just has too much to work on and there are a lot of other guys who will make it their point to grind him to death in 3-5 hour matches and who are quite frankly, just as good or better than him on clay, and who are also better at storing energy on clay and are more fit.

And no, the fact that he beat Sargsian and Kratchovil in 5 sets at RG isn't remarkable. Its worrisome. It shows youre really not looking at this qualitatively.

I believe there are at least 10 guys who could take Roger to 5 sets at RG and beat him there, eg: Nadal, Guga, Ferrero, Canias, Coria, Moya, Safin, Gaudio, Nalbandian, Costa. And all the other claycourt floaters like Massu, Gonzalez, etc., are not to be discounted. Most of these guys can fight out 5 sets against good players on clay successively, something Im not sure Roger can do. Considering no player has WON the event without playing a 5 setter at RG in the last 6 years is enough to make me think Roger won't go far (unless, of course, the draw opens up for him ) . But like I said many times already, he's welcome to prove me wrong. ;)

EternalFlame
02-09-2005, 09:48 PM
I voted for Coria. I think he is the best claycourter right now. But I would vote for Juanqi if he was at his best. I'm waiting for him to get back to his old form. Till RG I hope...

tennnisgirl7
02-09-2005, 11:15 PM
Coria for sure.

JeLuliA88
02-10-2005, 12:43 AM
coria, although he did choke quite a bit @ the french open... he has a really good record on clay thou. that must count for something.

pryss
02-10-2005, 01:00 AM
I think Nadal is a bit too much of a newcomer to be on the list, although we've seen some amazing stuff at DC. i'd say Coria.

Carito_90
02-10-2005, 01:18 AM
I can't believe some of the answers here. But I won't comment on them.

Coria.

Riley Finn
02-10-2005, 06:48 AM
obviously Dick or Hewitt

Vass
02-10-2005, 06:52 AM
Сoria and the Safin.
Coria's loss to Gaudio was sort of a fluke. he should have won RG. His overall results on clay are impressive compared to the others.
Safin because he's the highest ranked of the players capable of winning on clay and he's very good on the surface. Last year he played a superb match against Coria in Monte Carlo...

PS: it's realy too bad that 2003 clay king Ferrero doesn't qualify for this anymore. When is he going to regain his form?

jtipson
02-10-2005, 09:31 AM
I think its certainly fair to judge an athlete on his results for the past 3 years. Jtipson if youre going to nail me for not knowing RF'S results for 2001 and 2000 then go ahead -- I really dont care. I think Ive made some really solid points as to why Roger won't go far this year, he just has too much to work on and there are a lot of other guys who will make it their point to grind him to death in 3-5 hour matches and who are quite frankly, just as good or better than him on clay, and who are also better at storing energy on clay and are more fit.

And no, the fact that he beat Sargsian and Kratchovil in 5 sets at RG isn't remarkable. Its worrisome. It shows youre really not looking at this qualitatively.

I believe there are at least 10 guys who could take Roger to 5 sets at RG and beat him there, eg: Nadal, Guga, Ferrero, Canias, Coria, Moya, Safin, Gaudio, Nalbandian, Costa. And all the other claycourt floaters like Massu, Gonzalez, etc., are not to be discounted. Most of these guys can fight out 5 sets against good players on clay successively, something Im not sure Roger can do. Considering no player has WON the event without playing a 5 setter at RG in the last 6 years is enough to make me think Roger won't go far (unless, of course, the draw opens up for him ) . But like I said many times already, he's welcome to prove me wrong. ;)

Yes, I'm perfectly aware what your position is; I was just a bit annoyed that your strong negative opinion seems to have been built partially on wrong information. I do agree with a lot of your analysis, but the difference is that I still see reason (and as a fan would wish) to be more optimistic about Roger's prospects at Roland Garros. Let's just agree to differ on that :)

erik-the-red
02-13-2005, 05:47 PM
I don't think there is one yet.

Eclectic Goddess
02-13-2005, 06:58 PM
I agree, it's too soon to call. Let's get a few clay tournaments in, and then I'll decide.

ugotlobbed
02-13-2005, 08:39 PM
best player on clay " MICHAEL CHANG "

sonatinca
02-14-2005, 06:18 AM
Gaudio! unambiguously

Nastya_
02-26-2005, 05:12 PM
Gaston the best!!! :clap2: :)

renatoal
02-26-2005, 05:19 PM
FEderer, and he will show this year ... wait and see !

Golfnduck
02-26-2005, 05:30 PM
Nadal is also becoming great on clay. He'll be a force at RG.

David Kenzie
02-26-2005, 05:36 PM
I can't beleive how many people voted Gaudio. His RG victory was a fluke as he beat two injured guys in the semi and in the final. OK, that's not his fault but the question of this topic is "Who is the best claycourt tennis player today?" not "who was the best player of RG 2004?"

Rex
02-26-2005, 05:41 PM
juan carlos ferrero- he is awesome, he will kick any player off the court (that is clay of course)

*Ljubica*
02-26-2005, 05:44 PM
Gaudio is not only the current French Open champion, but has just won back-to-back clay court titles in Buenos Aires and Vina del Mar. He also won the prestigious Buenos Aires exhibition tournament in December 2004 and reached clay court finals in 2004 in Kitzbuehel, Bastad and Barcelona, so, at the moment, I would say he is the undisputed "King of Clay".

I would think Nadal could well take that title in a year or so - but not sure he is quite ready yet.