CORIA: I HAVE NO DOUBTS TO BECOME NUMBER 1 SOON. [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

CORIA: I HAVE NO DOUBTS TO BECOME NUMBER 1 SOON.

CORIAFORNO.1
02-08-2005, 10:28 AM
hey tennisfans
i wrote an e-mail to guillermo coria, asking him what he thinks about his future in tennis and he said that he has no doubts to become nummber 1 soon.
for me as a coria supporter that sounds good but i do not believe that he can make his words come true.
well, just wanted to mention that.
guillermo coria seems to be full of confidence. i mean he did not win much on hard court yet.
thats my opinion. (i did not tell it to him)
ciao
CORIA

Ferrero Forever
02-08-2005, 10:30 AM
I hope he is right and can become number 1, you never know with tennis though, this sport is very unpredicatable.

Cervantes
02-08-2005, 10:46 AM
You mailed him? Can I get his address too, maybe I can ask Carla for a date :)

Fergie
02-08-2005, 11:29 AM
What a big dreamer is Coria :lol:

*Ljubica*
02-08-2005, 11:32 AM
Never - unless someone shoots Federer, Hewitt, Safin and Roddick :) I guess it's good to believe in yourself though - confidence is important in a professional sportsman.

Julio1974
02-08-2005, 11:39 AM
Rosie,

I'd take Roddick out of that list.

Carito_90
02-08-2005, 12:28 PM
I would not. Roddick beated him the last 3 times they met. And Andy would never get far enough in a clay event to face Coria so...

Anyway, I hope he does someday. I have my doubts, but he's still young, he has to get over this thing of getting constantly injured.
This thread is a wrong idea anyway. It will only attract the Coria haters to spread the hate :lol:

misyou25
02-08-2005, 12:34 PM
What a big dreamer is Coria :lol:
what a dreamer... only if the top 20 is injured... :haha:

Julio1974
02-08-2005, 12:45 PM
what a dreamer... only if the top 20 is injured... :haha:

He was third last year, not so far... I think he can easily reach the third place again after the clay season and then he will retreat to the 5 or 6 again.
The only Argentine player that could reach the n° 1 is Nalbandian, if he ever learns how to serve and if Federer somehow gets bored.

jtipson
02-08-2005, 02:16 PM
He was third last year, not so far... I think he can easily reach the third place again after the clay season and then he will retreat to the 5 or 6 again.

Coria's got so much to defend over the next 3 months that there's not much of a chance for him to get back in the top 4 until after Wimbledon. For the rest of the year he'll have a great chance to load up on points, but with the top the way it is, getting to number three would be a big achievement.

misyou25
02-08-2005, 02:17 PM
accidentially he got to the top three, yeah
:haha: but number one, first he has to shoot hewitt and federer;)

Julio1974
02-08-2005, 02:18 PM
Coria's got so much to defend over the next 3 months that there's not much of a chance for him to get back in the top 4 until after Wimbledon. For the rest of the year he'll have a great chance to load up on points, but with the top the way it is, getting to number three would be a big achievement.
You are probably right. Two TMS finals, one TMS win and the final in RG is too much to defend. At least, he has TMS Rome to gain some points.

Elwing
02-08-2005, 02:37 PM
well.. isn't hope the last thing to lose?? i think he has chances but so far the tennis level top 10 shown makes it really hard to belive he'll get there this year... one thing for sure, i'll enjoy watching him trying! :tennis:

foul_dwimmerlaik
02-08-2005, 02:39 PM
As much as I like Coria, I doubt he'll ever be #1 and definitrly not for long. But confidence and ambition are good for professional sportsman.

sigmagirl91
02-08-2005, 02:49 PM
Dream on, Coria.

Hewitt_Rules
02-08-2005, 03:04 PM
Coria become world #1? :haha:

Yeah and West Bromwich Albion will win the Champions League :haha:

RPH
02-08-2005, 03:35 PM
I have no doubts he won't reach #1 :)

It would be far the most embarrasing thing ever for the ATP if it did but I'm certain it won't :D

Chloe le Bopper
02-08-2005, 04:39 PM
I'm sure that a number of you have goals that are far more unattainable that Coria's. Why don't you share them so that I can laugh at you? :)

Julio1974
02-08-2005, 04:45 PM
I'm sure that a number of you have goals that are far more unattainable that Coria's. Why don't you share them so that I can laugh at you? :)

CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP
Somewhat, I feel they envy him...

paige
02-08-2005, 04:53 PM
Must go find LiZpHaIr's Coria poll...

Learn to stand and crawl before you try to walk, boy-o.

Seriously, it's not a bad goal. It's just not one that you voice so people can dismiss you so easily.

Peoples
02-08-2005, 05:11 PM
:haha:

Wulfram
02-08-2005, 05:12 PM
Coria is as good a player as anyone playing today not named Roger Federer - as is shown by his being second in the race before he got messed up by injury last year. I don't know if he'll be no. 1, but I see no reason why he's less likely to be so than Roddick, Ferrero, Moya or Rios.

Washa Koroleva
02-08-2005, 05:24 PM
Damn... Go for it, Guille!!!!
I really hope he keeps what he seems to 'promise' here. :p

RPH
02-08-2005, 05:59 PM

My goals aren't unattainable :) I won't since you've said you'll laugh at me :sad:

Jenrios
02-08-2005, 06:20 PM
I'll be amazed if Coria makes number 1 - he's no-where need as good a player as Federer or Safin, for example - and to be honest, I think he'll be like Rios in that he'll suffer injury after injury.

tangerine_dream
02-08-2005, 06:27 PM
I don't underestimate ambition. If Coria truly believes he can become No. 1, then he can. He's decent on hardcourt and seems to want to improve on grass.

If you want it badly enough, you can achieve it. :)

Chloe le Bopper
02-08-2005, 08:04 PM
My goals aren't unattainable :) I won't since you've said you'll laugh at me :sad:

You don't have a single unattainable desire? I find that hard to believe. We all do, whether we want to admit it or not.

Chloe le Bopper
02-08-2005, 08:07 PM
I don't underestimate ambition. If Coria truly believes he can become No. 1, then he can. He's decent on hardcourt and seems to want to improve on grass.

If you want it badly enough, you can achieve it. :)
Exactly. And it's better to fail after giving it your all and believing that you can do it, than to look back ten years after the fact and wonder what could have been had you just believed.

Chloe le Bopper
02-08-2005, 08:11 PM
Must go find LiZpHaIr's Coria poll...

Learn to stand and crawl before you try to walk, boy-o.

Seriously, it's not a bad goal. It's just not one that you voice so people can dismiss you so easily.

What people? A bunch of people who spend their hours posting on an internet message board (of which I am one, yes)? Oh yes, he really ought to hold back and account for what *they* might think! Because they matter! Really!

People dismissed Ferrero when he did this a couple years ago. Some of them are probably still eating crow. It remains to be seen if the same will happen with Coria.

robinhood
02-08-2005, 09:02 PM
Well, let's see what happens. Even though Sampras finished 6 straight years at #1, several other players (Muster, Moya, Rios...) managed to grab that spotlight away from him for a week or two once in a while during that period. I don't know much about Thomas Muster except that he's a clay courter like Coria.

blosson
02-08-2005, 09:38 PM
I would not. Roddick beated him the last 3 times they met. And Andy would never get far enough in a clay event to face Coria so...

Anyway, I hope he does someday. I have my doubts, but he's still young, he has to get over this thing of getting constantly injured.
This thread is a wrong idea anyway. It will only attract the Coria haters to spread the hate :lol:

Agreed. Coria has never beaten Roddick on any surface. Roddick has managed to beat him even on clay so Coria should really re-think his chances again.... :)

tennisman.
02-08-2005, 10:02 PM
I had a great laugh when reading the title.
Coria will never be #1,i have said it before and i say it again,the only good thing about this guy is he's girlfriend

blosson
02-08-2005, 10:09 PM
He probably meant he will be number 1 in Argentina, wait a minute, he's already number 1 in Argentina, isn't he? So he's dreams came true. :D

crigazzio
02-08-2005, 10:09 PM
Well is a positive way to see his future, everybody has dreams right???

Pea
02-08-2005, 10:14 PM
Rosie,

:o

LiZpHaIr
02-09-2005, 01:49 AM
He certainly lives off inhis own little world, doesn't he?

MagoRG
02-09-2005, 03:21 AM
Never - unless someone shoots Federer, Hewitt, Safin and Roddick :) I guess it's good to believe in yourself though - confidence is important in a professional sportsman.
Hey....David said the same during some interviews...who´s closer? :)

MagoRG
02-09-2005, 03:27 AM
The only Argentine player that could reach the n° 1 is Nalbandian, if he ever learns how to serve and if Federer somehow gets bored.

And if he stops partying and loses some weight! :) :)

rue
02-09-2005, 03:47 AM
Never say Never people. There have been people who have been number one that no one ever thought they would get up there.

robinhood
02-09-2005, 03:49 AM
I had a great laugh when reading the title.
Coria will never be #1,i have said it before and i say it again,the only good thing about this guy is he's girlfriend

Coria is married.

JeLuliA88
02-09-2005, 06:33 AM
I doubt he'll ever get to number 1, but then things can change, the top 5 won't always be in the top 5 forever... so who really knows.

Prizeidiot
02-09-2005, 06:35 AM
This is certainly not a short term goal. I think Federer day in day out is a much better player than Coria. Put him aside and you still have Safin, who, if he finds some consistency, is also a much better player day in day out. After that you have Hewitt and Roddick, who Coria MIGHT be able to overtake, though unlikely.

onion
02-09-2005, 07:11 AM
Coria is a very good player but I just can't see him winning Wimbledon, Melbourne or Flushing Meadows. I know that Ferrero got to no.1 by just winning the french but he's a good all-surface player. Same with Roddick (perhaps barring clay). Coria has to be more consistent and try to delve (did I just make that word up?) further into the other grand slams. I have no doubt he will win the French one day but with guys like Safin and Federer around, I don't think it will be enough to propel him to number one.

motasek
02-09-2005, 01:04 PM
We might as well ask that question to, say, Gaudio. If Ferrero couldn't make it at his best, what chances does Coria have then??????????????

motasek
02-09-2005, 01:06 PM
Oh, yeah, Ferrero made it once.... I don't even remember that - don't want to have such tennis on top.

Julio1974
02-09-2005, 01:15 PM
Oh, yeah, Ferrero made it once.... I don't even remember that - don't want to have such tennis on top.

That's a question of taste. I hate those players whose only assets is a powerful service. I prefer to watch tennis. Ferrero was a great tennis player. I hope he will get back to his level soon.

Sosa
02-09-2005, 01:44 PM
I agree, it is great to watch Ferrero. He's also got a cool style of play.
But Coria is also not to be underestimated, that little sneaky bastard. He's got some shots that most people can only dream of. But there are nevertheless a lot of things that speak against him becoming Nr. 1...and one of the things is clearly Federer.
As Gilbert said, the top4 have seperated themselves from the rest, but that's not gonna last forever.

Puschkin
02-09-2005, 02:00 PM
He certainly lives off inhis own little world, doesn't he?

Maybe, but what do you expect him to say? I am going to stop playing tennis, because I Know I am less stylish than Roger, smaller than Marat and my serve's poorer than Roddick's? ;) I think he is very good example for how far you can get when you rely on your strengths and work hard, even if you have not been gifted with Roger's touch and an Marat's power.

Guille's Girl
02-09-2005, 02:09 PM
What people? A bunch of people who spend their hours posting on an internet message board (of which I am one, yes)? Oh yes, he really ought to hold back and account for what *they* might think! Because they matter! Really!

There ya have it. Ah, it's so fun to come around sometime and see what people *think* and don't *know*. Obsolete.
that little sneaky bastard.
:haha: New one! I'll probably use that. Funny as hell :yeah: reps for you.

bad gambler
02-09-2005, 02:26 PM
I hope he is right and can become number 1, you never know with tennis though, this sport is very unpredicatable.

so if coria becomes no 1 where does that leave ferrrero?
i hope u haven;t switched camps JL ;)

espanol04
02-09-2005, 03:04 PM
Just after Roland Garrors 2005 could he become No.1 for a short time. But I support Coria forever!!!

TheMightyFed
02-09-2005, 04:07 PM
I have no doubt Willy Coria has a lot of humour ;)

Luna
02-09-2005, 05:48 PM
Just after Roland Garrors 2005 could he become No.1 for a short time. But I support Coria forever!!!

You say just atp race I think Coria should know what's the real no.1 so what coria mentioned was entry ranking.

To be number 1?if no Federer Safin Hewitt Roddick etc...on hard ,no just a sooooo average player on grass,all in all he should learn how to play except clay.

undomiele
02-09-2005, 07:33 PM
Pfff. Some of you guys are such morons. :rolleyes: Have any of you guys even bothered to read the first post of the thread here? You guys are just taking Coriafor#1 post waaaay too seriously, considering its a)its his 5th post ever, b)its highly questionable Coria wrote to him at all when Coria doesnt even speak english and has the time to do so, and c) not ask this same poster for the email to see what was the context for what Guillermo supposedly said.

I think reasonable people would want to read what Coria supposedly wrote (if he actually wrote it) before ripping the poor guy to shreds.

Becool
02-09-2005, 07:36 PM
That's what he says.
I don't think he's that good to be number one.
He's not good on hardcourts

Fergie
02-09-2005, 07:47 PM
With matchs like today I'm sure that he will be nº1 ... In his dreams :angel:

Paialii
02-09-2005, 09:04 PM
Coria will be number one when Camille Pin becomes number one in the women's rankings. :P

Chloe le Bopper
02-09-2005, 11:26 PM
Pfff. Some of you guys are such morons. :rolleyes: Have any of you guys even bothered to read the first post of the thread here? You guys are just taking Coriafor#1 post waaaay too seriously, considering its a)its his 5th post ever, b)its highly questionable Coria wrote to him at all when Coria doesnt even speak english and has the time to do so, and c) not ask this same poster for the email to see what was the context for what Guillermo supposedly said.

I think reasonable people would want to read what Coria supposedly wrote (if he actually wrote it) before ripping the poor guy to shreds.
I would just like to voice my agreement that there are morons here... however, I would extend "some" to "many". The general level of maturity and demonstrated intelligence on this board is fairly paltry. It hasn't always been that way... but maybe I"m just remember the good times and forgetting the bad, as we are apt to do ;)

Horatio Caine
02-09-2005, 11:29 PM
He will get to #1 just as quickly as he will stop behaving like a baby who has lost his rattle everytime he loses / is losing a match to an "inferior" opponent. As this is unlikely to EVER happen...

Chloe le Bopper
02-09-2005, 11:35 PM
He will get to #1 just as quickly as he will stop behaving like a baby who has lost his rattle everytime he loses / is losing a match to an "inferior" opponent. As this is unlikely to EVER happen...
Yes, because as we know, how one treats their opponent is directly related to what they are ranked :retard:

Horatio Caine
02-09-2005, 11:42 PM
Yes, because as we know, how one treats their opponent is directly related to what they are ranked :retard:

Okay then...he is not #1 material. Roger, Hewitt, Safin and Roddick are ALL better than him on a 12 month basis. Of course one or two of those 4 will likely fall away at some point but Coria will never get past all of them unless those 4 have a run of shocking results and injuries which is unlikely to happen.

Chloe le Bopper
02-09-2005, 11:53 PM
Okay then...he is not #1 material. Roger, Hewitt, Safin and Roddick are ALL better than him on a 12 month basis. Of course one or two of those 4 will likely fall away at some point but Coria will never get past all of them unless those 4 have a run of shocking results and injuries which is unlikely to happen.
I don't have any problem with that reasoning. It was the reasoning that you presented beforehand that was highly sketchy ;)

tennnisgirl7
02-09-2005, 11:55 PM
I think Coria will become #1 when he decides to start really working hard on the things he is not really good at. I mean he already believes in his self now he needs to put a bit more effort in it.

Horatio Caine
02-09-2005, 11:55 PM
I don't have any problem with that reasoning. It was the reasoning that you presented beforehand that was highly sketchy ;)

Yeah no probs - I am bored and tired and will go to bed soon. But still...he does behave like that and it is annoying. :)

Horatio Caine
02-09-2005, 11:57 PM
I think Coria will become #1 when he decides to start really working hard on the things he is not really good at. I mean he already believes in his self now he needs to put a bit more effort in it.

Sorry - there is absolutely NO way he can be good enough to get near any of those 3 off a clay surface. He could maybe knock off Hewitt but otherwise Safin and Roddick are too powerful and Federer is JesusFed right now.

Chloe le Bopper
02-09-2005, 11:59 PM
He's beaten Safin off of clay (granted it was Hopman Crap, but it counts in the h-h). And he has gotten close to Roddick, on more than one occasion. That's not to say he could beat them at their best... but that isn't what you said.

Horatio Caine
02-10-2005, 12:03 AM
He's beaten Safin off of clay (granted it was Hopman Crap, but it counts in the h-h). And he has gotten close to Roddick, on more than one occasion. That's not to say he could beat them at their best... but that isn't what you said.

It seems evident that Safin took the Hopman Cup as seriously as Philippoussis used to take his off-court training. The man was not there and even got bagelled by Sanguinetti of all players! Then two weeks later he plays the matches of his life to beat Federer and be crowned the Aus Open champ. Coria wouldn't have taken more than a set off him at the Aus Open.

Sjengster
02-10-2005, 12:06 AM
I definitely want to see a match between Hewitt and Coria on hard after their only previous meeting at IW in 2003, a very competitive and entertaining match won by Hewitt when he was near the height of his powers and Coria was a young up and coming challenger. Does he have enough versatility and weight of shot to defeat Hewitt on hardcourt? If not, no chance at the no. 1 spot. I also want to see a match between Hewitt and Coria on clay, but only because I have a sadistic streak in me.

Regardless of the basic reasoning that he doesn't have enough power to trouble the best on fast courts, Coria will never get anywhere unless he overcomes his understandable supplement-phobia. He's getting injured in virtually every other tournament, he's making big finals only to be a physically subpar runner-up, and all he takes is water to combat these problems. He could become one of the biggest underachievers out there entirely because of his body, which is not to say that there aren't players on tour capable of outhitting him on clay - Federer, Safin, Ferrero at his best and shock horror, even Gaudio can do it when they put their mind to it.

undomiele
02-10-2005, 03:48 AM
I used to be worried about his supplement problem too, but I remember reading somewhere that the ATP is going to come out with their own supplements to prevent any further scandals in tennis. Guille shouldn't have a problem taking those.

niko
02-10-2005, 08:23 AM
Rosie,

I'd like to add Safin and Hewett to your list! :)

Riley Finn
02-10-2005, 08:30 AM
I have my doubts.

*SKYE*
02-10-2005, 08:47 AM
lol so do I.

CORIAFORNO.1
02-24-2005, 05:16 PM
wow
thx for all the answers