Should Alex Corretja throw in the towel? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Should Alex Corretja throw in the towel?

joanbalcells
02-07-2005, 11:43 PM
I've followed Alex's career and love him and his tennis (not to mention his bum and thighs). But It's so sad to see him losing so many matches, and never looking like anything other thean a faint shadow of what he used to be. I think he should give it up before the clay season comes along and just more losses. What do you think?

Scotso
02-08-2005, 12:24 AM
As long as you're having fun, you should keep at it. Even if it's in challengers ;)

He does have a decent bum.

Leena
02-08-2005, 12:36 AM
As long as he enjoys it, it's cool.

Just don't take WC's from deserving players. If you deserve to play in challengers, that's where you go.

Horatio Caine
02-08-2005, 12:51 AM
I was wondering that same question a few hours ago after seeing the nature of his latest loss -granted it was to be expected.

Alex is 30 (?) and is quite clearly not anywhere near good enough to challenge for titles anymore. It is his decision but I think it is most likely that he will throw in the towel by the end of the year if he continues in this way. It can't be too much fun for him and the fans (of which i am one of them) will only remember him for his incredible results from a years back. He should try to go out with as much dignity as possible. Sadly, I can't see there being a biggish bang.

TheBoiledEgg
02-08-2005, 04:01 AM
he clearly wants to do a Chang :help:
a sad way to go out :(

should have retired in 2002 or 2003.

Action Jackson
02-08-2005, 04:15 AM
TBE, at least Corretja is well loved everywhere, well maybe not with the Aussie media.

Yes, the sad thing is a donkey like Spadea is in the top 30 and Alex is struggling like this.

If he is enjoying the game, then he should keep playing, but it's sad to see his peak is so far gone.

LiZpHaIr
02-08-2005, 04:20 AM
I think he should try his best at this years French and then call it a career.

Action Jackson
02-08-2005, 04:22 AM
I think he should try his best at this years French and then call it a career.

Liz, that's the most serious post I have ever read from you.

It would be good if he could have one last run.

liptea
02-08-2005, 04:27 AM
Yes, the sad thing is a donkey like Spadea is in the top 30 and Alex is struggling like this.

If he is enjoying the game, then he should keep playing, but it's sad to see his peak is so far gone.

If I were Corretja, I'd also find it really depressing that guys like Moya that he used to beat are still out there winning. (ok, so I know there are other players than Carlos that are still playing, but I'm too tired to think of another player)

I think with his marriage and kids, Alex just doesn't care as much anymore-the talent and ability is still there, especially on clay, but he has far different priorities now.

I just wish he could've won a French. Does Guga really need three? ;)

liptea
02-08-2005, 04:28 AM

Except that Chang won a Slam? ;)

alfonsojose
02-08-2005, 04:30 AM
If he's in front of me, inside the locker room, throw me that wet towel, Alex :drool:

Hendu
02-08-2005, 04:33 AM
If he's happy, he should go on playing...

liptea
02-08-2005, 04:35 AM
If he's in front of me, inside the locker room, throw me that wet towel, Alex :drool:

Alex consistently grew better-looking.

liptea
02-08-2005, 04:35 AM

AHHH, why do I bring stupid teenagy hormoney posts everywhere? :mad: I'm not even articulately hormonal.

I'm just irritated with myself and the world. And the Alex loss didn't help. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

alfonsojose
02-08-2005, 04:41 AM
maybe bigger too :lick: :toothy:

Lee
02-08-2005, 04:44 AM
AHHH, why do I bring stupid teenagy hormoney posts everywhere? :mad: I'm not even articulately hormonal.

I'm just irritated with myself and the world. And the Alex loss didn't help. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

:lol: Don't take it too seriously when you reply to alfonso's post. Relax. ;)

liptea
02-08-2005, 04:48 AM
:lol: Don't take it too seriously when you reply to alfonso's post. Relax. ;)

I'm irritated for other reasons. Like maybe, I don't know where 40 minutes of my time just went.

Lee
02-08-2005, 04:50 AM
I'm irritated for other reasons. Like maybe, I don't know where 40 minutes of my time just went.

on the internet and that's very good entertainment and relaxation. :angel:

tennischick
02-08-2005, 04:58 AM

i hate to admit it but i agree with you. and i still haven't forgiven Alex for choking against the Android in that infamous vomit match. but at least he finally got to beat him on grass a couple of years later. his finest moment IMO -- he should have retired the next day. ;) ;)

LiZpHaIr
02-08-2005, 05:14 AM
Liz, that's the most serious post I have ever read from you.

It would be good if he could have one last run.

:)

Ferrero Forever
02-08-2005, 09:53 AM
no way should he retire, ALEX ROCKS, he should stick around for as long as possible

Kat!
02-08-2005, 09:58 AM
His results in the past year or so has been disappointing.... who knows what's he's thinking?? But he really should consider the coaching option >> cos I would still love to see him around in tournaments, he's such a nice guy!! (maybe he can coach at JC's academy LOL.)

User ID 4783
02-08-2005, 10:23 AM
I always liked Alex, but if he retires soon, it'll be understandable. Nevertheless he should keep on playing if he likes it. I just wish there could be some good result for him.

I just wish he could've won a French. Does Guga really need three? ;)
yes ;)

Nacho
02-08-2005, 10:49 AM
Yeah, he should retire after the claycourt season (which ends in july-august with those european tourneys ;))

his win-loss record in the past 2 years is 26-44 :tape:

Bibir
02-08-2005, 11:15 AM
It ain't over till it's over. :)

HybridTheory
02-08-2005, 11:21 AM
No he shouldn't retire yet. :sad:
In every interview they ask him for that and he says he still enjoys tennis a lot, that he still wants to play as long as possible.
Maybe he won't win tournaments anymore, but as long as he enjoys it, there's no reason for retire I hope ..

TheBoiledEgg
02-08-2005, 11:42 AM
the thing is he is needing WC's just to get into even mickey mouse tourns :help:
not the way he should have gone. a sad way to go out for such a great competitor and going out with a limp as well.

Billy Moonshine
02-08-2005, 03:37 PM
He can still have some big wins, I'm sure of it. He just needs the inspiration. Maybe after this lapse, he'll have another peak and then go out. Hope so, he's always been a fav of mine :)

Experimentee
02-08-2005, 03:42 PM
Based on his results I'd say yes, but we dont know what he's thinking, and maybe he's still enjoying himself and doesnt mind the losses. If he is enjoying himself then he should stay.

HybridTheory
02-08-2005, 04:02 PM
He can still have some big wins, I'm sure of it. He just needs the inspiration. Maybe after this lapse, he'll have another peak and then go out. Hope so, he's always been a fav of mine :)

I hope so you're right.
But I think there are too many other things for him at the moment, which are more important than tennis.
And specially now Marta and he are expecting their second child.
But well, if he's winning matches or not, as long as he's enjoying playing and practicing tennis, and if that makes him happy, he shouldn't retire just because of his age and his results. :wavey: