Andre Agassi to return to Davis Cup!!! [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Andre Agassi to return to Davis Cup!!!

tangerine_dream
02-07-2005, 06:52 PM
Booooo! http://67.19.129.138/mtf/images/icons/icon13.gif :ras: http://67.19.129.138/mtf/images/icons/icon13.gif :ras: http://67.19.129.138/mtf/images/icons/icon13.gif :ras: http://67.19.129.138/mtf/images/icons/icon13.gif :ras:

I'll probably change my mind later but right now I think this is a mistake. I never liked the idea of Andre bailing the new generation out. :shrug:

Source: Andre Agassi to return to Davis Cup after five-year absence

NEW YORK (AP) - Andre Agassi will return to the U.S. Davis Cup team after a five-year absence, The Associated Press learned Monday.

The U.S. Tennis Association planned to announce Monday or Tuesday that Agassi will rejoin the squad for its first-round match against Croatia on March 4-6 at Carson, Calif., a tennis source told the AP on condition of anonymity.

The eight-time Grand Slam tournament champion, who turns 35 in April, stopped playing Davis Cup after 2000 as part of a scaled-back schedule geared to peaking for the majors.

He was a member of three Davis Cup championship teams, going 30-5 in singles. Current U.S. captain Patrick McEnroe travelled to Agassi's hometown of Las Vegas after the Australian Open to meet for dinner and try to persuade him to return to the team.

"Some of my greatest memories are playing Davis Cup," Agassi said last week in a conference call. "The regrets I have about not playing are regrets I've had for the last few years, and still remain that way, which is being a part of a new generation and trying to win the Davis Cup again."

The United States has won the competition a record 31 times, but not since 1995 - the team's longest drought since the gap between titles in 1926 and 1937. The Americans lost to Spain in last year's Davis Cup final.

"At this time, we're not prepared to make any announcement regarding the U.S.A. vs. Croatia Davis Cup first round," USTA spokesman Randy Walker said Monday. "We'll certainly inform everybody when Patrick is ready to name the team."

Carito_90
02-07-2005, 06:58 PM
WOW. I can clearly see the 2005 DC winner now :lol:

tangerine_dream
02-07-2005, 06:59 PM
Then again, some people seem to think that the US is a favorite to win DC this year so perhaps Andre is looking for that last big win before he exists the stage?

Black Adam
02-07-2005, 07:01 PM
WOW. I can clearly see the 2005 DC winner now :lol:
Well now they got themselves a strong number 2 player ( no discredit to Fish on this........but on clay or during his let down moments he is not the ideal person to back up andy ;) ) Hope that they will be stronger than before :bounce: :yeah:

Carito_90
02-07-2005, 07:02 PM
Well I am sure they will TGS.

paige
02-07-2005, 07:07 PM
Booooo!
I'll probably change my mind later but right now I think this is a mistake. I never liked the idea of Andre bailing the new generation out. :shrug:

I def. understand the sentiment, but I'm still happy to see him.
I'll just consider it more of a "they have the tools, they just have to learn how to go about it"-type thing. I would think that would be Andre's goal too, more than a last hurrah kind of thing.

CooCooCachoo
02-07-2005, 07:16 PM
Tangerine, I have mixed feelings on this too. I don't know if it's a good or a bad thing that he is returning, but it will definitely be good for the attention that the Davis Cup gets ;)

ae wowww
02-07-2005, 07:17 PM
Bet he'll get his ass kicked. Sorry Tangy, but he should've done this far sooner. I don't know why he didn't and think it was a bit of a disgrace tbh.

jmp
02-07-2005, 08:36 PM
Thanks for the news, tangerine_dream. :) Good luck to Andre and the US Davis Cup team. :)

Leena
02-07-2005, 08:46 PM
Meh... I just hope Andre plays in matches where he's needed more.

Because just with Andy and the Bryans, that was likely enough to win this tie against Croatia.

RodLo
02-07-2005, 08:51 PM
Well I'm excited. I'm glad Andre will play...considering it may be his last chance.

blosson
02-07-2005, 08:53 PM
Andre will give them more publicity. Don't they need to sell more tickets?

Pea
02-07-2005, 08:55 PM
Predictable.

TheMightyFed
02-07-2005, 09:14 PM
I tell you, this is his chance to end his career (and the season) on a memorable note... Go Andre go, show these kids what you can do !! :worship:

Gigan
02-07-2005, 10:14 PM
Then again, some people seem to think that the US is a favorite to win DC this year so perhaps Andre is looking for that last big win before he exists the stage?

who are those "some people"?
they are wrong...

Leena
02-07-2005, 11:44 PM
Why shouldn't we consider the US a favorite to win Davis Cup?

This is the likely draw they'll have:

Croatia - Home
Romania or Belarus... should be no problem, even on the road
France - Home
Spain - Home.

aceit
02-07-2005, 11:46 PM
Croatia - Home
France - Home
Spain - Home.
Amazing draw considering all the potential home ties.

Yay for Andre playing! :D

WyveN
02-08-2005, 01:18 AM
Croatia - Home
France - Home
Spain - Home.

It could potentially be Russia away in semis and Argentina away in final.

Action Jackson
02-08-2005, 01:21 AM
I am not sure what to think of Agassi returning to DC I wonder what his reasons are.

He did very well for them in DC previously and been on winning teams, doesn't play for ages, then decides he wants to come back.

I know he is playing WTC with Roddick this year, so maybe this was always going to be on the cards for this season.

WyveN
02-08-2005, 01:25 AM
I am not sure what to think of Agassi returning to DC I wonder what his reasons are.

Next best thing after a slam which he has very little chance of winning.

Action Jackson
02-08-2005, 01:26 AM
Next best thing after a slam which he has very little chance of winning.

In other words no tricky claycourt ties away from home, so it's good for him to play this year.

WyveN
02-08-2005, 01:29 AM
In other words no tricky claycourt ties away from home, so it's good for him to play this year.

Well they are likely to play Russia or Chile away in semis so will be interesting if he volunteers for that.

Action Jackson
02-08-2005, 01:31 AM
Well they are likely to play Russia or Chile away in semis so will be interesting if he volunteers for that.

Interesting, though would they be away to both of these teams?

WyveN
02-08-2005, 01:35 AM
Interesting, though would they be away to both of these teams?

Yes, they would be away to both and to Sweden as well but at home to France (who are unlikely to make it through that section as they themselves would be away to Chile/Russia and are not the force they were a few years ago).

Hendu
02-08-2005, 01:36 AM
It could potentially be Russia away in semis and Argentina away in final.

Argentina - USA in the final in Buenos Aires - that would be a dream come true... :D

Agassi vs. Coria and Roddick vs. Nalbandian on clay... that would be awesome...

oh, now I realize we have to beat Slovakia and then probably Australia on grass :sad:

Action Jackson
02-08-2005, 01:36 AM
Thanks for that clarification of those rules. I would love the US to play Chile in Santiago that would be interesting to see the treatment that Agassi would cop.

Action Jackson
02-08-2005, 01:37 AM
Argentina - USA in the final in Buenos Aires - that would be a dream come true... :D

Agassi vs. Coria and Roddick vs. Nalbandian on clay... that would be awesome...

oh, now I realize we have to beat Slovakia and then probably Australia on grass :sad:

Czech Republic actually and not Slovakia in the 1st round, but I have bumped another thread for that.

Interesting to see how the 2005 DC pans out.

martirogi
02-08-2005, 01:38 AM
o god i have to look at that old bald fuck even more now

i think there should be a gouge ur eyes out smilie

smucav
02-08-2005, 01:38 AM
Well they are likely to play Russia or Chile away in semis so will be interesting if he volunteers for that.Potential locations of 2005 USA ties:

QF:
v. Romania in USA (LM: 1984 1R in Romania)
v. Belarus in Belarus (LM: 2004 SF in USA)

SF:
v. France in USA (LM: 2002 SF in France)
v. Sweden in Sweden (LM: 2004 QF in USA)
v. Russia in Russia (Last Meeting: 1998 1R in USA)
v. Chile in USA (Last Meeting: 1978 Final in Chile)

Final:
v. Slovak Republic in USA (LM: 2003 WG PO in Slovak Republic)
v. Spain in USA (LM: 2004 Final in Spain)
v. Switzerland in USA (LM: 2001 1R in Switzerland)
v. Netherlands in Netherlands (LM: 1997 QF in USA)
v. Australia in Australia (LM: 1999 QF in USA)
v. Austria in Austria (LM: 2004 1R in USA)
v. Argentina in Argentina (LM: 1992 1R in USA)
v. Czech Republic in Czech Republic (LM: 2000 QF in USA)

http://www.daviscup.com/teams/teamwinloss.asp?team=USA

http://www.daviscup.com/shared/medialibrary/pdf/original/DC_3443_original.PDF

Hendu
02-08-2005, 01:43 AM
Czech Republic actually and not Slovakia in the 1st round, but I have bumped another thread for that.

Oh yes I know... I made the mistake because I was thinking about the match against Slovakia we lost some years ago... Czech Republic will be very tough... but I think we can win 3-1... I certainly hope so...

Gigan
02-08-2005, 01:51 AM
Hey, Andre!
I see, yore more & more popular here!
Do not retire!

LiZpHaIr
02-08-2005, 03:23 AM
Well, now US has a decent chance of winning clay ties.

tennischick
02-08-2005, 03:44 AM
if he/the US wins and Andre gets a chance to go out like a hero, then it's a brilliant idea. go Baldy!!!!!! :kiss:

wildcard
02-08-2005, 05:21 AM
You might be just right, tennischick. It looks like straight sets from Roger really shook his confidence. He really felt that he had a shot at it.. but not anymore.
Agassi is all too aware now that repeating Sampras's US OPEN stellar run may be a very tall task given the strenght of the opposition and his age. In this juncture of things this could be the only way for Andre to bow out on a winning note. Predictable but very wise, well-orchestrated move. It's a great thing to be able to analize the situation and take it in the right perspective. The trick though, in my view, is that he's got to be there all the way, till the last match. There is just no point to do otherwise. So Andre is willingly taking the eye off the ball to focus on Davis Cup.
You know, I just wonder when Patrick McEnroe (whoever it was) initially began to think about making the pitch to Agassi - before AUS Open or after?

tennischick
02-08-2005, 05:43 AM
You might be just right, tennischick. It looks like straight sets from Roger really shook his confidence. He really felt that he had a shot at it.. but not anymore.
Agassi is all too aware now that repeating Sampras's US OPEN stellar run may be a very tall task given the strenght of the opposition and his age. In this juncture of things this could be the only way for Andre to bow out on a winning note. Predictable but very wise, well-orchestrated move. It's a great thing to be able to analize the situation and take it in the right perspective. The trick though, in my view, is that he's got to be there all the way, till the last match. There is just no point to do otherwise. So Andre is willingly taking the eye off the ball to focus on Davis Cup.
You know, I just wonder when Patrick McEnroe (whoever it was) initially began to think about making the pitch to Agassi - before AUS Open or after?
hey newby, must tell you (tho' i know that i already did) that i LOVE your avatar. if i wasn't so addicted to my blinking eyes i might consider stealing yours ;)

you raise a terrific question about exactly when Agaz started to consider rejoining DC. only Steffi knows.

i just hope that this move is well thought out. bec i want it to turn out to be a brilliant PR maneuver. my sweetie is running out of ways to retire in style, you must agree.

Prizeidiot
02-08-2005, 06:04 AM
Ahh... his reasons don't bother me too much. It's just interesting to see the US with a full strength team. Davis Cup should always have the best players.

TheMightyFed
02-08-2005, 07:31 AM
After all Andre is the best rank after Andy, so he deserves it fully !
Good team, Roddick, Agassi and B brothers, waouh !
The DC dream team rocks !! :yeah:

Gigan
02-08-2005, 11:14 AM
if he/the US wins and Andre gets a chance to go out like a hero, then it's a brilliant idea. go Baldy!!!!!! :kiss:

no bebe, Andre does not look for some low level chances such as to win in team game...
Baldy will fight for something more great this year...

martinaHforever
02-08-2005, 12:14 PM
Wow this has the potential to be a HUGE year for Agassi. Imagine if he won Wimbledon or the US Open AND the Davis Cup. Though if he did win a slam then he will not retire as he has stated often - if he wins a slam it will give him motivation to continue knowing that he can match it with the best.

TheMightyFed
02-08-2005, 12:18 PM
Wow this has the potential to be a HUGE year for Agassi. Imagine if he won Wimbledon or the US Open AND the Davis Cup. Though if he did win a slam then he will not retire as he has stated often - if he wins a slam it will give him motivation to continue knowing that he can match it with the best.
cool down, Marat and Fed are still around... and Baldy is 35, if he wins a major then he retires, pretty surely...

martinaHforever
02-08-2005, 01:10 PM
cool down, Marat and Fed are still around... and Baldy is 35, if he wins a major then he retires, pretty surely...

Thats funny, Agassi said the opposite to that a week ago in an interview. He says if he wins another slam then it will give him reason to continue. But thats just Andre saying that.....its not like he has much insight or anything....

Plus Gil said in Australia that they plan for him to play 3-5 more years.

martinaHforever
02-08-2005, 01:16 PM
Agassi rested, ready to go for SAP title
Free of injury, tourney regular seeks sixth title in 13 appearances
Glenn Dickey, Chronicle Staff Writer

Sunday, January 30, 2005

That hardy perennial, Andre Agassi, will be making his 13th appearance in the Barry MacKay tournament, which is now known as the SAP Open, and he will be well-rested.

"After we got back from the Australian Open, our children (son, Jaden Gil, 3, and daughter, Jaz Elle, 1) slept for 13 hours straight," said Agassi, on a conference call from Las Vegas. "It was divine intervention. Steffi and I finally checked on them to make sure they were still alive."

Agassi, who sustained a hip injury just before the Australian Open, lost in straight sets in the quarterfinals to Roger Federer, the No. 1 player in the world, and said after that match, "I would suggest that his future opponents not look to me for advice."

He is feeling better now about his play, though, because he knows it was unrealistic to think he could get further in Australia because of the injury, from which he is now recovered.

"I felt I regrouped from that and gave myself a chance to be at my best," he said. "I felt good about the way I was hitting, the way I was playing for the most part."

Agassi will be going for his sixth title in this tournament, which was in San Francisco when he started but has since moved to San Jose. The tournament runs Feb. 7-13 at HP Pavilion. Agassi's first match will be the feature match at 7 p.m. on Feb. 8.

He will also be part of a tribute to promoter MacKay, who has been running the tournament for 36 years, after that match.

"Barry has always been a first-class person and organizer for the tournament," Agassi said. "Being a great player himself (No. 1 in the world in 1960), he knows what players need to be at their best when they're at a tournament, and he always goes the extra mile for the players."

Agassi has had a remarkable career, 15 times finishing in the top 10. His 59 singles titles are the most among active players and seventh all-time.

He has defied the odds of probability in tennis with his lengthy career, most of it at or near the top. The rule of thumb in tennis is that players can last in that rarefied atmosphere for no more than 10 years, but Agassi is still going strong 19 years after he burst onto the tennis scene as a teenage phenom.

There have been serious bumps in the road since then. He briefly thought of retiring in 1987, when he couldn't get higher than 90 in the rankings. He had a serious wrist injury which required surgery in December 1993.

But nothing has deterred him and, at 34, he is still going strong, though he is taking it one year at a time now. "I'm committed to playing a full year this year," he said. "We'll see after that."

In his early years, Agassi didn't worry much about conditioning, but in the second phase of his career, he has worked very hard on that. Now, observers have said, he is in the best shape of his career.

Still, the biggest part of the battle is mental. Most top players retire because they've had enough. Agassi's wife, Steffi Graf, was an even more accomplished player than Andre, winning 22 Grand Slam titles, but Agassi's attempt to coax her back on the court for mixed doubles at Wimbledon has proved futile.

The flame still burns bright for Agassi, though. Asked if he would retire if he won another Grand Slam, he said, "I think that would just be more motivation for me to keep going.

"It is a big challenge. I think the ability to keep going is a function of both the physical and the mental. I mean, you need your body to be healthy, but you also need that eagerness and discipline of pushing yourself through a lot of days where you, quite frankly, are tired, you're just tired of doing it, you're tired of what you know is in store for you.

"I've never been one to choose the easy road. So, I find that the difficulty in it has to become the motivating factor, the challenge in it has to be what pushes you and motivates you."

Better put the retirement party and gold watch on hold.

TheMightyFed
02-08-2005, 01:16 PM
But thats just Andre saying that.....its not like he has much insight or anything....

Sure, I know him better than himself !! :haha: :haha:
Andre in his 40's, waouh, Gael Monfils will be about to retire then... would be great actually, if he's not playing in challengers. I love longevity, so for me that's good news. But leaving on top, what is better for an athlete, especially with the career he has ?

WyveN
02-08-2005, 01:23 PM
Andre has his sights on the senior tour, he can keep playing there until his 80.

TheMightyFed
02-08-2005, 01:42 PM
Andre has his sights on the senior tour, he can keep playing there until his 80.
He's gonna kick a bunch of asses out there... the likes of Leconte Bruguera and courier, get prepare to hurt ;)

tennischick
02-08-2005, 02:13 PM
no bebe, Andre does not look for some low level chances such as to win in team game...
Baldy will fight for something more great this year...
don't be dissing Davis Cup Gigan. it means a LOT to many countries.

Experimentee
02-08-2005, 03:09 PM
Its good that hes made this decision. DC is a great tournament and he has been part of it before so perhaps he misses the atmosphere. The only thing is that it may be too much of a strain on his body to play the ties as well as his tournaments.
Its great that the US now have a good team with Andre, Andy and the Bryans. Every country in the DC should have a full strength team.

martinaHforever
02-08-2005, 03:44 PM
I can't see Agassi playing senior tour. His interviews indicate that he only plays tennis to match it with the best. Once he stops beating Roddick/Hewitt he probably won't want to play on any tour.

paige
02-08-2005, 03:55 PM
I can't see Agassi playing senior tour. His interviews indicate that he only plays tennis to match it with the best. Once he stops beating Roddick/Hewitt he probably won't want to play on any tour.

I'm gonna HATE that day.

TheBoiledEgg
02-08-2005, 04:11 PM
Thanks for that clarification of those rules. I would love the US to play Chile in Santiago that would be interesting to see the treatment that Agassi would cop.

I highly doubt he would play there, he's been to wimp out of much lesser situations.
I'm sure the only reason he's playing DC is cos the tie is in LA.

Had this tie been anywhere else he wouldnt be playing.

Gigan
02-08-2005, 06:53 PM

i'm not dissing it, but it means not so "a LOT" for Andre,
that could cause his retirement ...

AgassiFan
02-09-2005, 12:16 AM
Thats funny, Agassi said the opposite to that a week ago in an interview. He says if he wins another slam then it will give him reason to continue. But thats just Andre saying that.....its not like he has much insight or anything....

Plus Gil said in Australia that they plan for him to play 3-5 more years.

Forget about plans 3-5 weeks from now, let alone 3-5 years - if Baldy's HIP is not at least 80% (sore after matches but functionable during), then he might as well pack it in.

Part of the reason why I picked Roger to win in straight sets this past AO (after Andre almost pulled one out during USO) wasn't necessarily because Roger is great - which he is - but also because Andre simply didn't move well in any of his 2005 matches, and against Roger there's no way you can win without playing at least decent defense, none.

IF Andre's hip miraculously improves, THEN and ONLY THEN can we start talking about not only 2005 but possibly 2006 as well since his skills are still pretty formiddable. Until then, it's literally one match at a time for Andre and Co.

Good luck to Andre, either way.

AgassiFan
02-09-2005, 12:20 AM

As always, your insight astounds. :rolleyes:

Or was that an attempt at humour, Aussie style?

Poljud
02-09-2005, 05:20 AM
Because just with Andy and the Bryans, that was likely enough to win this tie against Croatia.

That isnt the case, Ljubicic has the capability to defeat Roddick, and Mario and Ivan are a very good doubles combo, winning the Olympic bronze medal.

Ultraman
02-09-2005, 06:31 AM
I think he will provide some great energy for the Team.

Gigan
02-09-2005, 10:22 AM
look here what Andre saying himself:

Agassi played his first match since announcing he was returning to the Davis Cup team and will play against Croatia in early March.

"I'm surprised circumstances would lend me being able to play," Agassi said. "I had the mind-set you give everything to Davis Cup or you don't.

I want to be a part of it, but I can't play every time."

complete story is here:
http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?p=1194261#post1194261

keen
02-09-2005, 10:37 AM
Bravo, Andre!!!
Andre is the best!
I still remember his unforgettable 1992 Davis Cup final vs. SUI.
In the first match he defeated Jakob Hlasek 6-1; 6-2; 6-2!
I remember I gambled on Roddick win in semi-final Cincinnati 2004 $100.
But Andre won that match and I was no sorry about it!
Good luck Andre!