Will Federer ever win the Davis Cup ? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Will Federer ever win the Davis Cup ?

TheMightyFed
02-07-2005, 06:13 PM
Answering "No" to this question would mean something uncommon for a potential all-time great (Connors being an exception, maybe others)... :worship:
Your opinion...

Horatio Caine
02-07-2005, 06:37 PM
If he isn't a part of the team....no! :)

jtipson
02-07-2005, 06:39 PM
Probably not unless the Swiss find a more consistent number two. Not winning it would hardly be a bad reflection on him though, because it's hardly his fault that the team aren't at a higher level.

adeegee
02-07-2005, 06:48 PM
highly unlikely its too hard for him to win both singles matches and a doubles match in every tie...kratochvil has disappeared off the face of the planet after a promising start to his career, fed has done ok with allegro in doubles but they need to find a reasonable singles player if he's ever going to win it

SwissMister1
02-07-2005, 07:05 PM
Wawrinka is still pretty young, and supposedly is a good talent, although I've never seen him. If he gets to be a consistent player and a good #2, and gives Switzerland a chance to win, then Roger would probably rearrange his schedule to make a run for Davis Cup. If he turns into another Kratochvil, then no.

willie
02-07-2005, 07:17 PM
NO, because the history says that an excellent tennis player cant win alone a davis cup, didnt make it vilas when he was number 2 and champion of australia and roland garros, didnt make it guga when he was number 1 ans champion of roland garros, will not make it roger becuase alone he cant win or spain in clay, or argentina in clay or australia in grass, or usa on hard, is impossible.

Kip
02-07-2005, 07:20 PM
Answering "No" to this question would mean something uncommon for a potential all-time great (Connors being an exception, maybe others)... :worship:
Your opinion...

Federer isn't the entire team,
so most likely, no.

smucav
02-07-2005, 07:23 PM
highly unlikely its too hard for him to win both singles matches and a doubles match in every tie...kratochvil has disappeared off the face of the planet after a promising start to his career, fed has done ok with allegro in doubles but they need to find a reasonable singles player if he's ever going to win it I haven't seen any of his DC doubles matches, but someone said that during the last few ties, the experienced doubles teams used the strategy of hitting every shot at Allegro (which was a successful strategy).

I don't think Switzerland can win: you have to have two good singles players or one good singles player and one good doubles team. They could win a few rounds, but once they come up against a good doubles team they're in trouble.

croat123
02-07-2005, 07:24 PM
he needs a good doubles partner. i'm sure he'll get one at one point in the next 10 years

undomiele
02-07-2005, 08:43 PM
Unless the Swiss are secretly cloning Roger Federer, Id say theres little chance. ;)

Geniey2g
02-07-2005, 08:45 PM
The Davis Cup isn't won alone, so until the Swiss team gains at least one other decent player, the answer is no.

tennisman.
02-07-2005, 08:48 PM
No he can't do it alone

aceit
02-07-2005, 08:55 PM
Unless the Swiss are secretly cloning Roger Federer, Id say theres little chance. ;)
Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh that's confidential. :tape:

RogiFan88
02-07-2005, 11:44 PM
NO, because the history says that an excellent tennis player cant win alone a davis cup, didnt make it vilas when he was number 2 and champion of australia and roland garros, didnt make it guga when he was number 1 ans champion of roland garros, will not make it roger becuase alone he cant win or spain in clay, or argentina in clay or australia in grass, or usa on hard, is impossible.

I was just wondering if any DC team managed to win DC w only one player...

MisterQ
02-07-2005, 11:54 PM
Can he play doubles by himself? ;)

RogiFan88
02-08-2005, 01:30 AM
if Rogi clones himself, why not? -- that's the secret! hee hee...

i'm curious to see how SUI will do vs. NED in the first rd without Rogi

robinhood
02-08-2005, 02:51 AM
Hopefully yes, but probably no.
But it's too early to tell.

MissMoJo
02-08-2005, 02:52 AM
Can he play doubles by himself? ;)

He does have excellent court coverage :) .......

TheBoiledEgg
02-08-2005, 04:10 AM
the need Marc Rosset, pity he's too old now and their capt
rest of team ......... :tape: and esp Crotchville :o

Dirk
02-08-2005, 04:32 AM
Fuck DC win RG. :)

Prizeidiot
02-08-2005, 06:39 AM
Nope, no way. Even if he plays, he can't carry his doubles partner enough. Teams like Australia, America, and Sweden have doubles teams that are way too strong for Federer to beat single handedly. And there's almost no hope of winning 3 singles rubbers.... barring injury. Maybe if they end up against Argentina and Coria is playing the last rubber, he might cramp... but that's the only hope.

Puschkin
02-08-2005, 07:19 AM
probably not, unless the DC-rules are changed and Patty Schnyder is allowed to play ;). A male player of her level would be enough to give Switzerland a reasonable DC-perspective.

TheMightyFed
02-08-2005, 08:16 AM
Maybe if they end up against Argentina and Coria is playing the last rubber, he might cramp... but that's the only hope.
The real chance of Fed actually... :devil:

TheMightyFed
02-08-2005, 08:19 AM
probably not, unless the DC-rules are changed and Patty Schnyder is allowed to play ;). A male player of her level would be enough to give Switzerland a reasonable DC-perspective.
Ok, when we start talking cloning, rejuvenating Marc Rosset, turning women into men, or making Kratochvil play well, it sounds bad for a potential Swiss Davis Cup... Sorry Roger, this one is not for you ! ;)

CooCooCachoo
02-08-2005, 08:27 AM
Switzerland has many average to good players, but none of them are able to consistently perform well in the Davis Cup.

Roman Valent has been considered a talent for a while, but he hasn't done anything outstanding to warrant that label of talent.
Marco Chiudinelli has definitely improved his game the last few years, but not by enough to be an important part of the team.
Michel Kratochvil's game is too inconsistent, and seems to be going downhill rather than uphill.
Lorenzo Manta, after some good results on Wimbledon, totally disappeared.
Marc Rosset can be written off after this year.
Yves Allegro's singles results are extremely poor, though he does make a good doubles player.
Stanislas Wawrinka could still definitely step up his game and seems to have the biggest potential out of the Swiss tank of players to really crack the Top 70, but he doesn't strike me as the player who will be able to defeat the players he needs to defeat in order to win the Davis Cup.
Jean-Claude Scherrer, as much as I like him, just doesn't have the talent to make it. Although his doubles results are definitely becoming better and better, the opposite is true for his singles results. His ranking, which already wasn't too good, is slipping.

There is a slight possibility for Switzerland to win the Davis Cup, but it would mean that Roger has to win both his singles matches, and Allegro / Federer would have to win doubles. And if they are lucky, one of the other players can even win a singles match. But the likelihood of this all is not enough to give me at least some hope that Switzerland will take the trophy home.

Doris Loeffel
02-08-2005, 11:39 AM
Well not this year....
... I'm wondering too how they'll do against Ned in March
... not only is Roger not playing but once again Kratochvil is injured...
... yep too bad that there's not a true nr. 2 around in Sui.

CCC Lolo (Lorenzo Manta that is) didn't disappear but he retired a few years ago couse his ellbow was bothering him too much - now that would be the doubles player on Rogers side - as far as I remember Lolo never lost a doubles match in DC....

as looking around for a nr. 2 player well the sight indeed isn't too bright. Stan hasn't proven his potential yet - Micha can't remember when he last had an injury free season - Ivo he might be a good server but well he's not getting any younger - JCS had a terrific match against A-Rod in Basel in 2003 but appart from that he's unfortunately not really improving and like Ivo isn't getting any younger - Marc guess he's done too (as a player I mean) - haven't heard from George Bastel for a while - thought his win against Pete in Wimby would boost his confidence a bit but unfortunately that wasn't the case - Yves well he really is more a doubles than a singles player (won two tournaments so far in doubles one with Roger) - Marco Chiudinelli might be a joker, saw him in Basel and his play isn't that bad just needs a bit more confidence and needs to be a bit more patient sometimes.

Guess we have to wait till Robin Bosshart might break through - one of the promising juniors we have in Switzerland.

Otherwise it really looks like Roger is a lonely fighter for DC... and therefore never might win it.

CooCooCachoo
02-08-2005, 01:17 PM
I forgot to mention George Bastl :retard:

Ah and thanks Doris. Didn't know Lorenzo had that elbow injury :(

Mrs. B
02-08-2005, 01:29 PM
even if Manta is still part of the team i don't think he's a redeeming factor.

Roger is just many leagues above these guys and DC is a team sport. He can't win it by himself.

sigmagirl91
02-08-2005, 01:30 PM
He could one day.

Fergie
02-08-2005, 01:39 PM
i'm curious to see how SUI will do vs. NED in the first rd without Rogi
This will be first round defeat for sure :rolleyes:

Sadly Roger doesn't have an team that supports him :sad:

TheMightyFed
02-08-2005, 01:46 PM
This will be first round defeat for sure :rolleyes:

Sadly Roger doesn't have an team that supports him :sad:
You think he'll be back next year ?

jtipson
02-08-2005, 01:52 PM
Probably won't have to wait until next year. I would be surprised if he doesn't play the play-off later this year (assuming they lose their first round, and with Schalken looking better now that seems more likely).

WyveN
02-08-2005, 01:54 PM
If Kratochvil is injured who will be playing singles for the Swiss against the Dutch.
Ivo will be one, who is the other?

Fergie
02-08-2005, 03:08 PM
You think he'll be back next year ?
I'm not sure, but I hope that he do it ;)

Experimentee
02-08-2005, 03:56 PM
Even if he resumes playing DC he wont win it. Marc Rosset was probably the best team mate and he is retired I think.
Wawrinka, I dont see him becoming a great player, at least not one good enough to win the DC.
Heuberger is not at that level either, and will probably be the other player in the team. He has been staying at the same level for a few years now and probably wont become a great player.
Kratochvil is always injured and when hes not he isnt much good anyway.

Doris Loeffel
02-08-2005, 04:27 PM
WyveN good question
Well that's how I see the team as by now:
Ivo Heuberger
Marco Chiudinelli
Yves Allegro
Stanislas Wawrinka

undomiele
02-08-2005, 04:36 PM
This is the perfect time for the Swiss to hand out free passports to the top 50 or something... :lol: I wonder who'd go for it? Who knows? Rusedski might be tempted again.... :devil: Its time we had a triple nationality player out there!

RogiFan88
02-08-2005, 05:22 PM
It's simply a pity that Rogi may never have a real opportunity to add this to his other successes. [Rogi will have to change nationality and citizenship to be part of a winning DC team... Spain or Argentina?? ;)]

TheMightyFed
02-08-2005, 06:10 PM
It's simply a pity that Rogi may never have a real opportunity to add this to his other successes. [Rogi will have to change nationality and citizenship to be part of a winning DC team... Spain or Argentina?? ;)]
He should become French for sure, we have a fair amount of top 100 players, good in Davis Cup, but we lack true elite players (Grosjean winning a slam ? maybe in golf...), plus he speaks French... This is obvious !! Sorry to my Swiss friends ;)

Puschkin
02-10-2005, 10:24 AM
He should become French for sure

I have a new idea: Switzerland could hire my compatriote Juergen Melzer for DC, that would give me an opportunity to watch an exciting DC-tie ;)

HattonWBA
02-10-2009, 10:04 PM
No, Unless they get a mug like draw to go at, stan is too inconsistent and they dont have a great doubles pairing like the U.S to rely on either

habibko
02-10-2009, 10:17 PM
let him/them first win their first tie against the US then we will start discussing his/their chances to win it :wavey:

finishingmove
02-10-2009, 10:21 PM
ginepri and fish will spank federinka