Dallas, Tx. 50K *Indoor Hard Court* [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Dallas, Tx. 50K *Indoor Hard Court*

Tricky_Forehand
02-06-2005, 01:03 AM
Wish I was at this Challenger :sad: Not just for the obvious reason either ;). There doesn't look to be any Challenger here in So Cal till October

Singles--1st round

(1)Dennis Van Scheppingen vs. Lovro Zovko
Michael Berrer vs. Frederic Niemeyer
(Q) vs. Ramon Delgado
Nicolas Todero vs. (8)Brian Baker
(4,WC)Robert Kendrick vs. (WC)Benedikt Dorsch
(Q) vs. (WC)Wayne Odesnik
Eric Taino vs. (Q)
(WC)Rajeev Ram vs. (8)Andre Sa

(7)Michael Ryderstedt vs. Lukasz Kubot
Zbynek Mlynarik vs. Danai Udomchoke
Tomas Cakl vs. Alan Mackin
Sebastien Fitz vs. (3)Giovanni Lapentti
(5)Amer Delic vs. (Q)
Alejandro Hernandez vs. Filip Prpic
Jean-Julien Rojer vs. Santiago Gonzalez
Matias Boeker vs. (2)ALEX BOGOMOLOV, JR.

Doubles--1st round

(1)Tripp Phillips/Mark Merklein vs. (WC)David Martin/Brian Wilson
(WC)Byron Talbot/T.J. Tisdale vs. Stephen Huss/Frederic Niemeyer
(4)Jason Marshall/Lovro Zovko vs. Giovanni Lapentti/Rik De Voest
(Q)/(Q) vs. Nicolas Todero/Danai Udomchoke

Sanchai Ratiwatana/Sonchat Ratiwatana vs. Filip Prpic/Michael Ryderstedt
Ramon Delgado/Andre Sa vs. (3)Brian Baker/Rajeev Ram
(WC)Amer Delic/Eric Nunez vs. Lukasz Kubot/Zbynek Mlynarik
Tomas Cakl/Johan Landsberg vs. (2)Santiago Gonzalez/Alejandro Hernandez

MrExpos
02-06-2005, 01:22 AM
Go Fred and Brian ! :banana:

Fred's serve + Indoor Hard Court = :D

Scotso
02-06-2005, 03:30 AM
vamos:

Frederic Niemeyer
Brian Baker :D
Rajeev Ram
Lukasz Kubot :D
Giovanni Lapentti
Amer Delic :hearts:
Alejandro Hernandez
Santiago Gonzalez
Matias Boeker

Bolivero
02-06-2005, 06:50 AM
Good luck Ramon Delgado and Andre Sa!!!!

mad1town
02-06-2005, 06:43 PM
I'll be there all week Tennis724 so I'll try to give you (and others) an update. I've never seen Alex play so I'll be sure to be there for his first match.

This Dallas Challenger has seen some great pros over the years so I'm always on the lookout for the next "up and comer". Last year it was Amer Delic who came through qualifying to reach the finals. A few years earlier it was Dmitry Tursunov who also came through qualifying and won the event as a 17 yr. old. Before that it was Andre Sa...anyway, very good tennis at this event.

I was at the first round of qualifying yesterday and saw a really good match between Andres Pedroso and TJ Tisdale (a very fit 36 year old local Dallas pro - related to Waymen Tisdale for you basketball fans out there). Andres is a fairly recent Duke graduate...he ended up winning a well played match 6-7, 6-3, 6-4. Andres looks very solid from the baseline with pretty good power.

On a local note, I was hoping that Rook Schellenberg (a 16 year old from Dallas) would have done better. I don't know his background but he has gotten some local publicity as he has risen quickly on the national juniors scene in the last year. He was granted a wildcard into qualies but nerves got the best of him and he went down 0 & 3. Look out for him in the future...you can't forget a name like Rook.

I'll give you an update later after the first round of the tournament...

COMA
02-06-2005, 10:27 PM
Go Lukasz! First round replay from last week. Hope you win again :yeah:

Pea
02-06-2005, 11:10 PM
Good luck to Giovanni and Alex!:D

mirzic
02-07-2005, 03:24 AM
mad1town - can u pls give us a report on amer's matches if you could?
also, lovro zovko's?

azza
02-07-2005, 04:13 AM
Anyone have the Quallie Draw?

jirobkk
02-07-2005, 05:02 AM
Best of luck to Danai and Thai twin brother, Sonchat/Sanchai :D

CooCooCachoo
02-07-2005, 07:23 AM
Goooooooo:

Dennis :D
Ramón
Andre
Lukasz
Jean-Julien
Tripp & Mark
Ramón & Andre

CooCooCachoo
02-07-2005, 07:26 AM
By the way Katherine, the thread for Dallas had already been started :p

jirobkk
02-08-2005, 03:13 AM
Danai Udomchoke (THA) d. Zbynek Mlynarik (AUT) 6-2,6-4 :D

Wojtek
02-08-2005, 06:14 AM
Good luck Lukasz

Tricky_Forehand
02-08-2005, 08:10 AM
By the way Katherine, the thread for Dallas had already been started :p

It looked more like a thread for the initial entry list :) . No one's forcing you to post in this thread you know :p

Tricky_Forehand
02-08-2005, 08:14 AM
Good luck to Giovanni and Alex!:D

Gio's in the same quarter as Alex :sad: .

I tried to rep you back, Pea, but I'm supposed to spread the love more :rolleyes:

Alex is the night match tomorrow :banghead:. Probably won't be able to call for a result :mad:

CooCooCachoo
02-08-2005, 08:37 AM
It looked more like a thread for the initial entry list :) . No one's forcing you to post in this thread you know :p

Ah it was meant as the thread for the event, but that is OK :)

mad1town
02-08-2005, 09:45 PM
Just got back from the day session at T Bar M Racquest Club and here is a match report:

Monday Evening:
Andre Sa took out Rajeev Ram 6-2, 7-5. Ram looked slow and disinterested in the first set and Sa jumped all over him. In the second set, Ram started to move much better and started to become much more aggressive. He broke Sa to start the second set and jumped out to a 5-2 lead (1 break), but Sa gutted out a great win through pure determination and some excellent passing shots. He broke Ram in his last 2 service games and took the last set 7-5. In summary, Ram has a nice looking game, very good volleys and nice serve. I like Andre Sa a lot, especially his guts...but honestly speaking, Ram looks like he has a better game...he needs work on the his mental game.

Also saw the Ratiwatana twins play doubles (Sanchai and Sonchat)...they played very well and were a crowd favorite. They took out Prpic and Ryderstedt 6-3, 7-5.

Tuesday Day Session:
Jan Mertl (CZE) beat Wayne Odesnik (USA) 6-4, 6-4. Mertl came through the qualies and has a very strong baseline game and big serve. Really enjoyable match...both played well. I'm going to keep my eye on Mertl...

The second match was an amazing match...Amer Delic (finalist last year, 2003 NCAA singles champion out of U of Illinois) took out Nathan Healey 4-6, 7-5, 7-6 (14-12 tiebreaker). Delic is a crowd favorite...a big kid at 6'4", 205...he has a really nasty serve and is a solid volleyer. In fact, on one of his serves to the deuce side, he served a SLICE serve wide for an ace... but the amazing thing is that the ball went so wide and high that it hit half way up the backstop behind Healy...very nasty action for a slice serve. As far as the match goes, both players had some terrific shot-making. Healey was poised for victory after breaking Delic in the first game of the 2nd set. He held that break and almost broke Delic the next 2 games as Delic got down 15-40 in each game. However, Delic's serve bailed him out every time he needed it. Delic finally broke Healey late to tie it 4-4, then he held his serve and then broke Healey again to win the 2nd. The third was very close and Healy looked quite good with great groundstrokes...he also came to the net fairly frequently usually attacking Delic's inconsistant backhand. Anway, Delic did not look very comfortable out there during the entire match but somehow gutted out a win.

Tonight's action has Alex Bogomolov Jr. (Bogie) on center court starting at 6:30. He will face Matias Boeker...should be a good match. After that, Robert Kendrick faces Benedikt Dorsch.

Crowds have been very good so far and will only get better...which the players seem to love. The stands were full last night for the Sa/Ram match and 3/4 full for the Delic/Healey afternoon match.

I'll give you a match report after the evening sessions...bye.

Scotso
02-08-2005, 11:34 PM
Amer :D

(8)Brian Baker (USA) d. Nicolas Todero (ARG) 6-4 6-7(5) 6-2 :banana:

Sebastian Fitz (GER) d. (3)Giovanni Lapentti (ECU) 6-4 2-6 6-3 :(

Tricky_Forehand
02-09-2005, 01:50 AM
Well, I called the site but they're clueless :rolleyes: :banghead:

So we will have to wait for madtown's report or the updated PDF :p

Zorro
02-09-2005, 03:45 AM
Please Taino score ?????

Tricky_Forehand
02-09-2005, 03:55 AM
Sorry Zorro but we're at the mercy of whenever the USTA feels like updating a pdf :mad: :fiery:

Tricky_Forehand
02-09-2005, 04:31 AM
Heartbreaker :sad: :sad: :sad:

(2)Alex Bogomolov, Jr. lost to Matias Boeker 6-7(5) 7-6(7) 4-6

I hope that madtown can provide a report....

Tricky_Forehand
02-09-2005, 04:32 AM
Looks like Taino lost to (Q)Peng Sun 3-6 3-6

mad1town
02-09-2005, 04:53 AM
First of all let me start by apologizing to Tennis724...I didn't get your email in time so I didn't have your # to provide you with updates.

Now for the match...I'll give a brief update since it is kind of late. It was a good match... very close...unfortunately for Alex, he lost to Matias Boeker. Boeker won 7-6, 6-7, 6-4. Alex seemed to be playing catch up the entire match. He fell behind in the first set 4-1 (lost his 2nd service game)...then broke back late. In the tiebreaker he fell behind again and lost 7-5.

In the second set Alex served first and jumped out to a 3-0 lead. He then had to call a trainer to work on his back. We heard his "group" (they were sitting near us) say that he had been having back trouble recently. Anyway, when play resumed he looked fine but Boeker held and then proceeded to break Alex. They went to the tiebreaker and Alex jumped to a 5-2 lead but Boeker came back. Boeker had a match point but barely missed a fairly easy backhand down the line passing shot off a weak Bogie volley. Bogie made him pay and won the set. In the 3rd each guy was broken and they went to 4-4 when Boeker served and held. Alex then served and got into his usual 0-30 hole (he seemed to be playing from behind all match). Eventually Boeker won it on a winner.

In summary, although we were cheering for Alex, Boeker was a better player on this day. Alex looked very quick around the court but Boeker had too much power for him. The crowd was light for some reason (maybe 1/3 full at the start of the match...1/2 full by the end)...they were generally cheering for Alex but it was not to be.

In the second match, Robert Kendrick completely overpowered Benedikt Dorsch 6-4, 6-4...the match was not as close as the score indicates. Kendrick must have had 25-30 aces.

Other matches Taino lost, Lapentti lost but I believe the #1 seed Van Scheppingen won.

That is all for now...

ozfan44
02-09-2005, 07:37 AM
nathan another fucking close loss!

when are you ever going to win a 3rd set tb? :sad:

CooCooCachoo
02-09-2005, 07:54 AM
Thanks for the reports mad1town :bigclap:

Tricky_Forehand
02-09-2005, 08:14 AM
Thank you for the report. It was much appreciated.

SuperRevelation
02-09-2005, 01:53 PM
USTA Men's Challenger of Dallas
Dallas, TX, USA
February 7-13, 2005
Hard (Indoor) - $50,000

Singles
Seeds: (cut: Frederic Niemeyer - 292)
1. Dennis van Scheppingen
2. Alex Bogomolov
3. Giovanni Lapentti
4. Robert Kendrick
5. Amer Delic
6. Andre Sa
7. Michael Ryderstedt
8. Brian Baker

First Round
(1)Dennis van Scheppingen (NED) d. Lovro Zovko (CRO) 6-1 6-4
Frederic Niemeyer (CAN) d. Michael Berrer (GER) 7-5 7-6(4)
(q)Paul Logtens (NED) d. Ramon Delgado (PAR) 6-7(1) 6-0 7-6(4)
(8)Brian Baker (USA) d. Nicolas Todero (ARG) 6-4 6-7(5) 6-2
(4)(WC)Robert Kendrick (USA) d. (WC)Benedikt Dorsch (GER) 6-4 6-4
(q)Jan Mertl (CZE) d. (WC)Wayne Odesnik (USA) 6-4 6-4
(q)Peng Sun (CHN) d. Eric Taino (USA) 6-3 6-3
(6)Andre Sa (BRA) d. (WC)Rajeev Ram (USA) 6-2 7-5
(7)Michael Ryderstedt (SWE) d. Lukasz Kubot (POL) 6-3 6-4
Danai Udomchoke (THA) d. Zbynek Mlynarik (AUT) 6-2 6-4
Tomas Cakl (CZE) d. Alan Mackin (GBR) 6-4 6-2
Sebastian Fitz (GER) d. (3)Giovanni Lapentti (ECU) 6-4 2-6 6-3
(5)Amer Delic (USA) d. (q)Nathan Healey (AUS) 4-6 7-5 7-6(12)
Alejandro Hernandez (MEX) d. Filip Prpic (SWE) 6-3 4-6 6-2
Jean-Julien Rojer (AHO) d. Santiago Gonzalez (MEX) 7-6(5) 6-4
Matias Boeker (USA) d. (2)Alex Bogomolov (USA) 7-6(5) 6-7(7) 6-4

jirobkk
02-09-2005, 03:04 PM
Just got back from the day session at T Bar M Racquest Club and here is a match report:

Also saw the Ratiwatana twins play doubles (Sanchai and Sonchat)...they played very well and were a crowd favorite. They took out Prpic and Ryderstedt 6-3, 7-5.

I'll give you a match report after the evening sessions...bye.

Thank you for the report. Could you please say " Hello " to Sonchat, Sanchai and Danai for me ?

Thanks

Jiro

mad1town
02-09-2005, 03:24 PM
Tennis 724...A quick follow-up on Alex from last night. I'm glad I got a chance to see him play, he is quite a fighter out there and is lightning quick. I was talking with several of the pros from T Bar M Racquet Club during the match (these are former ATP tour players) and they were amazed by Alex's footwork and speed. Two remarked that he looked a lot like Lleyton Hewitt out there with his movement. Anyway, it was a good match...I hope his back isn't going to keep giving him trouble. He did reach for it several times during the 2nd and 3rd sets after missed shots (usually backhands...didn't seem like he could get his trunk rotated properly sometimes).

Now that Alex is out I'm not sure if anyone else wants additional match reports...if you do, just let me know. Thanks....

Tricky_Forehand
02-09-2005, 09:36 PM
My interest is this tournament isn't as strong but I'm sure others wouldn't mind.

I really wish people would quit comparing him but I guess it's inevitable. I haven't been to one of Alex's tournaments where there haven't been people impressed by him. If I'm there...I'm usually the one people come to ask questions about his game :lol:

Zorro
02-10-2005, 03:35 AM
results ???????

Bolivero
02-10-2005, 05:40 AM
(q)Paul Logtens (NED) d. Ramon Delgado (PAR) 6-7(1) 6-0 7-6(4)

OMG :mad: :rolleyes: :tape: :fiery: :mad: :rolleyes: :tape: :fiery: :mad: :rolleyes: :tape: :fiery:

Why don't you just retire Ramon :rolleyes:

Experimentee
02-10-2005, 11:59 AM
Go Danai and Peng!

MrExpos
02-10-2005, 08:54 PM
Go Fred!!!

Scotso
02-11-2005, 05:16 AM
Frederic Niemeyer (CAN) d. (1)Dennis van Scheppingen (NED) 6-1 2-6 6-4 :D
(q)Paul Logtens (NED) d. (8)Brian Baker (USA) 6-3 6-2 :sad: :rolleyes:
(4)(WC)Robert Kendrick (USA) d. (q)Jan Mertl (CZE) 7-5 6-3
(6)Andre Sa (BRA) d. (q)Peng Sun (CHN) 6-4 6-4
(7)Michael Ryderstedt (SWE) d. Danai Udomchoke (THA) 6-1 6-4
Sebastian Fitz (GER) d. Tomas Cakl (CZE) 6-4 6-7(7) 6-3
Alejandro Hernandez (MEX) d. (5)Amer Delic (USA) 6-2 6-2 :D :(
Matias Boeker (USA) d. Jean-Julien Rojer (AHO) 3-6 6-4 6-3

Scotso
02-11-2005, 05:17 AM
(1)Mark Merklein/Tripp Phillips (BAH/USA) d. (WC)David Martin/Brian Wilson (USA) 6-3 6-2
Stephen Huss/Frederic Niemeyer (AUS/CAN) d. (WC)Byron Talbot/T.J. Tisdale (RSA/USA) 6-1 6-2 :D
Rik de Voest/Giovanni Lapentti (RSA/ECU) d. (4)Jason Marshall/Lovro Zovko (USA/CRO) 6-4 7-6(3)
(q)Matias Boeker/Bo Hodge (USA) d. Nicolas Todero/Danai Udomchoke (ARG/THA) 2-6 6-2 7-6(5)
Sanchai Ratiwatana/Sonchat Ratiwatana (THA) d. Filip Prpic/Michael Ryderstedt (SWE) 6-3 7-5
Ramon Delgado/Andre Sa (PAR/BRA) d. (3)Brian Baker/Rajeev Ram (USA) 4-6 7-5 7-6(2) :(
(WC)Amer Delic/Eric Nunez (USA) d. Lukasz Kubot/Zbynek Mlynarik (POL/AUT) 6-4 6-3 :D
(2)Santiago Gonzalez/Alejandro Hernandez (MEX) d. Tomas Cakl/Johan Landsberg (CZE/SWE) 6-2 6-1 :D

CooCooCachoo
02-11-2005, 08:42 AM
Dennis :mad:
Paul :eek: :yeah:
Andre :D
Jean-Julien :sad:

Go Mark & Tripp :D Go Ramón & Andre

Scotso
02-12-2005, 01:38 AM
Quarterfinals
Frederic Niemeyer (CAN) d. (q)Paul Logtens (NED) 2-6 7-6(1) 6-4 :banana:
(6)Andre Sa (BRA) d. (4)(WC)Robert Kendrick (USA) 6-3 6-4
(7)Michael Ryderstedt (SWE) d. Sebastian Fitz (GER) 6-4 6-4
Matias Boeker (USA) d. Alejandro Hernandez (MEX) 6-3 6-1 :(

Quarterfinals
Stephen Huss/Frederic Niemeyer (AUS/CAN) d. (1)Mark Merklein/Tripp Phillips (BAH/USA) 6-3 6-4 :D
Rik de Voest/Giovanni Lapentti (RSA/ECU) d. (q)Matias Boeker/Bo Hodge (USA) 6-2 6-2
Ramon Delgado/Andre Sa (PAR/BRA) d. Sanchai Ratiwatana/Sonchat Ratiwatana (THA) 6-3 6-2
(WC)Amer Delic/Eric Nunez (USA) d. (2)Santiago Gonzalez/Alejandro Hernandez (MEX) 6-3 6-3 :) :eek: :(

mad1town
02-12-2005, 01:55 AM
Semifinal action today...Andre Sa took out Frederic Niemeyer 6-7, 7-6, 6-2 in a match Niemeyer could have won in the second set. He was up on Sa 4-3 in the 2nd and had Sa at love-40 but could not break. He then tightened up in the tiebreaker...after serving brilliantly all day he did not get a single first serve in during the breaker. Sa put pressure on him in the breaker and he didn't hold up. In the 3rd it was all Sa as Niemeyer looked tired while Sa continued to look ultra fit. After watching Sa again this year it is a real pleasure to watch a player fight so hard!

I left before the 1st doubles semi ended but it was all Sa/Delgado over Delic/Nunez...they were up 5-1 and it didn't look like Delic/Nunez cared...must have had something else to do.

Tricky_Forehand
02-12-2005, 07:03 AM
Andre & Ramon are good together from what I remember (won the Doubles at the Torrance Challenger in '03). Not surprised that they probably won.

Scotso
02-12-2005, 02:29 PM
Frederic :sad: