It Will Never Work [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

It Will Never Work

federer express
02-05-2005, 09:39 PM
...but i'd love to see more of the top players playing doubles. Am glad to see nadal recognises the value of it and am sure his game will benefit as a result, not only of playing, but also from sharing court time with costa. Singles is clearly where the majority of interest and money lies, but wish there was more incentive for the top players to get involved. we never get to see matches like feder agassi v safin hewitt, or even the top singles players against the recognised and successful doubles pairings. personally i think these matches would be great fun to watch and would be appreciated by all fans...even mixed doubles...that could be really fun if the top players on both sides were involved. S. Williams O. Rochus v V. Williams C. Rochus (lol). Or Marat/sis against f.lopez/gf. Think it would bring a whole new dimension and excitement to viewing...and more than that just some fun. but as the title says.....

tennis4you
02-05-2005, 10:17 PM
I always loved the fact that the top women usually play dubs. I would love to see the men do the same. The lack of dubs may have to do with men having to play best of 5 sets at the slams and do not want to be on the court 5+ hours in one day which is understandable.

ae wowww
02-05-2005, 10:20 PM
I always loved the fact that the top women usually play dubs. I would love to see the men do the same. The lack of dubs may have to do with men having to play best of 5 sets at the slams and do not want to be on the court 5+ hours in one day which is understandable.
yeah, right on..

bad gambler
02-05-2005, 11:06 PM
Am glad to see nadal recognises the value of it and am sure his game will benefit as a result, not only of playing, but also from sharing court time with costa

better enjoy it while it last because i'd be suprised if nadal continues to play doubles after June as he continues to climb the singles rankings - the tough doubles match before the hewiit match in AO cost him i think, just didn't have the stamina in the 5th set.

federer express
02-05-2005, 11:56 PM
better enjoy it while it last because i'd be suprised if nadal continues to play doubles after June as he continues to climb the singles rankings - the tough doubles match before the hewiit match in AO cost him i think, just didn't have the stamina in the 5th set.

its stating the obvious but losing the 4th set is what cost nadal the match. wow that is obvious! but u know what i mean. he had the upper hand for 2 and a half sets, but winning the tie-break gave hewitt the lift he needed and enabled him to just play the better tennis in the fifth. stamina may have been an issue as nadal had already been pushed by youzhny, but i would be surprised if the doubles really cost him. actually think playing will be making him a better all-round player and hope for his game that he continues to. can only improve his serve, volleys and even return of serve. should help every part of his game and he's young enough and fit enough to manage it i think

mitalidas
02-06-2005, 12:00 AM
have to disagree with you on this , fedexpres....
never been a great doubles follower
enjoy the "singleness" of tennis, watching players do it on their own, struggle, figure it out, and win on their own

federer express
02-06-2005, 12:01 AM
have to disagree with you on this , fedexpres....
never been a great doubles follower
enjoy the "singleness" of tennis, watching players do it on their own, struggle, figure it out, and win on their own

oh i definitely prefer playing singles...and prefer watching singles too. just saying would be cool to see the top singles players competing against the best doubles teams

BIGMARAT
02-06-2005, 02:08 AM
It will never happen in mens tennis specially in Grandlams coz the men are playing best of 5 sets. It will surely take a toll on their body.

Billabong
02-06-2005, 03:23 AM
I agree with BIGMARAT! It would be very very tough in the slams!

federer express
02-06-2005, 03:25 AM
I agree with BIGMARAT! It would be very very tough in the slams!

and thats why this thread has the title it does

tennis4you
02-06-2005, 03:52 AM
I hate the fact that they do not show any doubles anymore at the slams. Once you get out fo college you will find that the majority of USTA leagues play a ton of doubles. So I have been playing more doubles the last few years. And I agree that singles is more exciting to watch, but I would love to see some great doubles too. It would help my game.

federer express
02-06-2005, 03:57 AM
I hate the fact that they do not show any doubles anymore at the slams. Once you get out fo college you will find that the majority of USTA leagues play a ton of doubles. So I have been playing more doubles the last few years. And I agree that singles is more exciting to watch, but I would love to see some great doubles too. It would help my game.

top class doubles is very watchable...without a doubt!! wimbledon coverage tries to show as much doubles/mixed as possible. and they even show the seniors when they can which is always cool

howardean
02-06-2005, 05:15 AM
mixed doubles combinations of top women and men are always fun to watch, but rare.i enjoyed anna k's pairing with mirnyi, and bryan (which one?) with davenport

btw, the best pairings can be/have been seen at the hopman cup (safin/myskina, hewitt/molik, federer/hingis, robredo/sanchez-vicario, clijsters/malisse, blake/davenport to name a few)

Prizeidiot
02-06-2005, 06:14 AM
Yep.... good doubles is the most entertaining thing there is in tennis, even more so than good singles. The only problem is, it needs star power. If the top players played, it would be brilliant watching.

Ferrero Forever
02-06-2005, 06:19 AM
mixed doubles combinations of top women and men are always fun to watch, but rare.i enjoyed anna k's pairing with mirnyi, and bryan (which one?) with davenport

btw, the best pairings can be/have been seen at the hopman cup (safin/myskina, hewitt/molik, federer/hingis, robredo/sanchez-vicario, clijsters/malisse, blake/davenport to name a few)

I LOVE hopman cup, i watched it for the first time this year and it was fantastic, though i would have liked to see a spanish team, but Hopman cup is one of my favourite tournaments, and i don't even like doubles that much.

ae wowww
02-06-2005, 08:58 AM
I think--on the ATP site where you can do Player 1 vs Player 2 Head to heard searches.

You should either be able to doubles players-- Doubles Player 1 (has he ever played againt Dub 2 with any partners) AND/OR Player 1/2 Vs 3/4

howardean
02-06-2005, 03:54 PM
I think--on the ATP site where you can do Player 1 vs Player 2 Head to heard searches.

You should either be able to doubles players-- Doubles Player 1 (has he ever played againt Dub 2 with any partners) AND/OR Player 1/2 Vs 3/4

that would be interesting

Kristen
02-07-2005, 03:24 AM
:worship: Jurgen at Aus Open :worship:
Playing a match every day (til he lost to that American guy). I know I appreciated it! And he did so well in doubles! :D

drf716
02-07-2005, 03:46 AM
i heard marat safin and roger federr once teamed up for doubles. what happened to that?

Angle Queen
02-07-2005, 03:09 PM
I hate the fact that they do not show any doubles anymore at the slams. Once you get out fo college you will find that the majority of USTA leagues play a ton of doubles. So I have been playing more doubles the last few years. And I agree that singles is more exciting to watch, but I would love to see some great doubles too. It would help my game.top class doubles is very watchable...without a doubt!! wimbledon coverage tries to show as much doubles/mixed as possible. and they even show the seniors when they can which is always coolSigh...I know the reasons. I still don't have to like the state of things. For those of us who play...post-college...it's all about doubles. And the most entertaining tennis is...a good doubles match (not to mention...and outstanding doubles match). Here's where I think Agassi/Courier/Sampras generation hurt the game at least on the American side. Until them, the bigger Amercian "stars" played both...even at the slams. Let's not talk about McEnroe's 69 doubles titles...but even Connors partnered up won at the USO and Wimbledon.

Doubles should be...for the beginning...and end of careers. Hewitt's first slam was a doubles title with Max. And Edberg closed out his career with a title at the AO (with Korda).

I also think the ATP/WTA and various tournament organizers have tried...by going to three-set doubles matches...and super sets...but until the big guns come back to those draws...it's gonna be a hard sell to the TV folks.

But I'm still hopin'....