University of Illinois [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

University of Illinois

ae wowww
02-05-2005, 07:04 PM
Is anyone able to help me out here?-I am a English student, and I want to go to the University of Illinois in a couple of years (when I need to go Uni). I basically want to study journalism (probably) and play college tennis for Illinois. I was wondering if anyone knows anything at all about this Uni or anything at all :lol:?

vaiva
02-05-2005, 07:10 PM
Go Roger :bounce:

*M*
02-05-2005, 07:20 PM
I'm originally from Illinois, but didn't attend school there. I can say that it's a very good school, but located in the middle of nowhere. I hope you like corn. Are they offering you a scholarship?

ae wowww
02-05-2005, 07:21 PM
Go Roger :bounce:
Wtf? Talk about i---relevant.

ae wowww
02-05-2005, 07:22 PM
I'm originally from Illinois, but didn't attend school there. I can say that it's a very good school, but located in the middle of nowhere. I hope you like corn. Are they offering you a scholarship?
I think Corn is particularly nutritious. I'm not old enough yet, but I could probably get a scholarship :D
Otherwise, do I pay or...? Or do they just love British students ;) How does the whole campus thing work over there?

vaiva
02-05-2005, 07:23 PM
Wtf? Talk about i---relevant.

Aha! Talk about ATP tennis :hearts:

ae wowww
02-05-2005, 07:25 PM
Aha! Talk about ATP tennis :hearts:
No, this board is mens tennis. Not necessarily ATP.
And you posted about Roger, in a US Uni thread?

Socket
02-05-2005, 07:30 PM
I got my Masters degree from Univ. of Illinois (Champaign-Urbana campus). It's a very good, very large school located in farm country. It is literally surrounded by miles and miles and miles of corn and soy fields. But it has an excellent campus life, great athletics programs, a world-class performing arts center, and I never felt isolated or bored. The weather, though, will be a shock for you. Because the school is located on the Illinois prairie, prepare for extremes of heat and humidity in the summer and extremes of cold and snow and wind in the winter. There are loads of foreign students (mostly graduate), especially in the school's world-class agriculture and engineering colleges, so I'm sure you won't feel alone.

ae wowww
02-05-2005, 07:36 PM
I got my Masters degree from Univ. of Illinois (Champaign-Urbana campus). It's a very good, very large school located in farm country. It is literally surrounded by miles and miles and miles of corn and soy fields. But it has an excellent campus life, great athletics programs, a world-class performing arts center, and I never felt isolated or bored. The weather, though, will be a shock for you. Because the school is located on the Illinois prairie, prepare for extremes of heat and humidity in the summer and extremes of cold and snow and wind in the winter. There are loads of foreign students (mostly graduate), especially in the school's world-class agriculture and engineering colleges, so I'm sure you won't feel alone.
Socket!! Thanks so much :D Do you use msn/aim?

vogus
02-05-2005, 07:37 PM
if you think are going to play college tennis at U of Illinois, i'll tell you what, i'd be happy to sell you the Big Ben tower clock in London, and i'll give you a great deal on it - 500 Euro's.

if you're not a top 75 ITF Junior, forget it, Illinois will not even throw a glance in your direction. It's one of the best teams in the U.S.

ae wowww
02-05-2005, 07:39 PM
if you think are going to play college tennis at U of Illinois, i'll tell you what, i'd be happy to sell you the Big Ben tower clock in London, and i'll give you a great deal on it - 500 Euro's.

if you're not a top 75 ITF Junior, forget it, Illinois will not even throw a glance in your direction. It's one of the best teams in the U.S.
€500 you're having a laugh. Three-hundred my highest, how do you know what I play tennis like? And by the time I go to University, I wouldn't be a junior anymore, so that ranking would be useless.

Domino
02-05-2005, 07:41 PM
I played there my freshman year and a bit of my sophomore year before I decided to stop most of my competetive play. It is a great university, engineering is particularly good. You can play walk-on but don't expect to get to play unless all the following come in place: You are a great player and win a lot of matches in practice, and you manage to come through in a match when a scholarship player can't play.

*M*
02-05-2005, 07:47 PM
One of the guys who played WTT last year went there: http://www.wtt.com/players.asp?season=2004&player_id=136

Socket
02-05-2005, 07:49 PM
Socket!! Thanks so much :D Do you use msn/aim?
You can PM me if you have any questions, and I'll do my best to answer your questions. :)

vogus
02-05-2005, 07:51 PM
€500 you're having a laugh. Three-hundred my highest, how do you know what I play tennis like? And by the time I go to University, I wouldn't be a junior anymore, so that ranking would be useless.

it wouldnt be useless, because the ranking is how the coach decides who gets invited to play on the team. If you don't have a ITF or at minimum a national ranking, it obviously means you don't have tournament experience, and you don't play at the level necessary to be considered for a team like Illinois.

They have lower leagues at the university with some good players, and you will be welcome to participate in those, it's just not a formal competetion.

jole
02-05-2005, 07:52 PM
It's a great school, and a nice tennis program as well, obviously. Scholarships are offered for sports and academics. College tennis is a pretty cool experience almost no matter where you play.

ae wowww
02-05-2005, 07:58 PM
Has anyone on here played college tennis?

vogus
02-05-2005, 08:01 PM
If you really want to play for a college tennis team, and you don't have tournament experience, you should consider a small university. If you don't mind playing recreational leagues instead of a team, then by all means go to Illinois or one of the big schools.

jole
02-05-2005, 08:02 PM

I don't, but I will be trying out for my school's team this fall. I currently practice with them, though.

Domino
02-05-2005, 08:27 PM

I did, and I really enjoyed it, but I had a bit of a personality when played, and eventually it was my stubborn personality that led me to quit the team and end up paying more money. In the end, I can't say it was a bad choice, I just wish I had left the team over a more important issue other than racquets.

RodLo
02-05-2005, 09:20 PM
I live a couple hours from U of I, and I know quite a few people that go there. It's on my list of possible schools, but I've only been there once and didn't really do much other than hang out with my friends that go there. It's a great school, but the campus isn't much to look at. Not quite sure what to tell you, so if you have any specific questions, pleaswe let me know. :)

Socket
02-05-2005, 09:25 PM
I live a couple hours from U of I, and I know quite a few people that go there. It's on my list of possible schools, but I've only been there once and didn't really do much other than hang out with my friends that go there. It's a great school, but the campus isn't much to look at. Not quite sure what to tell you, so if you have any specific questions, pleaswe let me know. :)
What's the tuition up to these days for in-state undergrads?

Leena
02-05-2005, 11:23 PM
If you really want to play for a college tennis team, and you don't have tournament experience, you should consider a small university. If you don't mind playing recreational leagues instead of a team, then by all means go to Illinois or one of the big schools.
I also suggest this. Playing at a small college was a lot of fun.

howardean
02-06-2005, 12:01 AM

he's right, smaller schools are much less strict on who they take on their team, but the competition is still great. i live in the same town as an Ivy League school, and my high school team practices in the same facility as the college varsity - they're pretty good! i have friends who play intramural or club tennis at some big schools, and they really enjoy it!

Federerhingis
02-06-2005, 01:01 AM
Oh wow, the University of Illinois I believe is a very good school. I am not a hundred percent sure, it might be the University of Chicago though thats also very very good, very competitive, however I am almost positive it ranks up there in the top 50 universities academically in the US. Well I still suspect its hard to get into it, you would probably have to have taken IB'S probably familiar with those, expect to get scores of 6 and above in order to get credit for most of those. Then again they might actually force you to take the lame SAT, expect to get in the 1200s in order to have a good chance of being considered by the admissions committee. Good luck, but I know for sure its a very good school probably for journalism too. :wavey:

RodLo
02-06-2005, 02:14 AM
What's the tuition up to these days for in-state undergrads?

Well for in-state its almost $16,000...which is still quite a bit for in-state tuition, but seems like nothing compared to it's out-of-state tuition (which is almost $29,000)

jole
02-06-2005, 02:18 AM
Well for in-state its almost $16,000...which is still quite a bit for in-state tuition, but seems like nothing compared to it's out-of-state tuition (which is almost $29,000)

I'm assuming you're talking about private schools?

Socket
02-06-2005, 02:42 AM
:eek: :eek:

I went as a grad student/TA, so my tuition was waived. I had no idea it was so much these days!

When my dad went to City Univ. of New York (CUNY), the tuition was $100 per semester, if you can believe it.

howardean
02-06-2005, 03:48 AM
Oh wow, the University of Illinois I believe is a very good school. I am not a hundred percent sure, it might be the University of Chicago though thats also very very good, very competitive, however I am almost positive it ranks up there in the top 50 universities academically in the US. Well I still suspect its hard to get into it, you would probably have to have taken IB'S probably familiar with those, expect to get scores of 6 and above in order to get credit for most of those. Then again they might actually force you to take the lame SAT, expect to get in the 1200s in order to have a good chance of being considered by the admissions committee. Good luck, but I know for sure its a very good school probably for journalism too. :wavey:

i'm pretty sure you're thinking of U. Chicago (while i don't doubt the academics of U. of I., it's definitely not in the top tier of selective american universities)

howardean
02-06-2005, 03:50 AM
ae wowww jt fan, why have you decided on the University of Illinois??

Fee
02-06-2005, 03:59 AM
Drew, you should ask Graydon. That's where he finished his college career. I'm sure he'd be happy to help you out.

I am also curious how you came to choose U of I. They do have a good tennis program and its very competitive to get into. You should look for a good journalism school first, then check out their tennis teams. You might find a better match that way (you know, like Stanford...).

jole
02-06-2005, 04:03 AM

I went as a grad student/TA, so my tuition was waived. I had no idea it was so much these days!

When my dad went to City Univ. of New York (CUNY), the tuition was $100 per semester, if you can believe it.

I go to Georgia State University, and tuition for in-state people is roughly $2100-2200 a semester. Pretty solid value considering it is one of the better business schools in the nation.

ae wowww
02-06-2005, 08:02 AM
Drew, you should ask Graydon. That's where he finished his college career. I'm sure he'd be happy to help you out.

I am also curious how you came to choose U of I. They do have a good tennis program and its very competitive to get into. You should look for a good journalism school first, then check out their tennis teams. You might find a better match that way (you know, like Stanford...).
I might well do that Fee, at RG thanks :D Or get Jules to, for me!

Stanford :drool: if only.. "Kollege of Kings". I came across Illinois, there was a feature (4 pages) on it in an ace magazine a few months back.

MisterQ
02-06-2005, 08:23 AM
I might well do that Fee, at RG thanks :D Or get Jules to, for me!

Stanford :drool: if only.. "Kollege of Kings". I came across Illinois, there was a feature (4 pages) on it in an ace magazine a few months back.

I hesitate to post this link, because I strongly disagree with the importance people place on these rankings... Read them with great skepticism. But in a general sense, these are the best large universities in the U.S. (don't pay much attention to the specific rankings -- not so important, or even accurate, imo). You will see that U of Illinois is on there.

U.S. News & World Report rankings (http://collegeapps.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?site=http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/college/rankings/brief/natudoc/tier1/t1natudoc%5Fbrief.php)

And here is the list of great smaller schools (liberal arts colleges):

Liberal Arts Colleges (http://collegeapps.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?site=http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/college/rankings/brief/libartco/tier1/t1libartco%5Fbrief.php)

Good luck :)

J. Corwin
02-06-2005, 08:51 AM
The Princeton Review site is a good place to check out different colleges and find out what place best fits you. :)

I did a search on University of Illinois, @ Urbana-Champaign (not sure if that is the campus you're looking forward to), but here ya go:

http://www.princetonreview.com/college/research/profiles/generalinfo.asp?listing=1023436&LTID=1

Statistics, scholarships, student life, and everything else... Good luck buddy. :cool:

ae wowww
02-06-2005, 09:27 AM
Thanks very much MisterQ and Jacko! :D

RodLo
02-06-2005, 02:00 PM
I'm assuming you're talking about private schools?

Nope, it's public. Ridiculous, eh? :rolleyes: It seems like most schools are like that now. Miami University of Ohio (where I want to go) will be nearly $30,000 by the time I go there. :eek:

RodLo
02-06-2005, 02:01 PM

Wow! :eek: I can't even imagine paying only $100 tuition for each semester! It's crazy how things have changed...every school now seems to have a ridiculous tuition fee.

RodLo
02-06-2005, 02:05 PM
Thanks very much MisterQ and Jacko! :D

I have another site that I've used quite a few times that is very similiar to the ones posted. It has a student gallery of the campuses, quotes about the university from its students....just about everything you'd need. :) I found it extremely helpful will deciding what schools I wanted to apply at.

Campus Dirt (http://www.campusdirt.com)

Leena
02-06-2005, 03:46 PM
I was payed for a few semesters while attending Community College... that was grand.

Kids, always remember to take advantage of every scholarship offer out there. There's a bunch of strange ones.

savesthedizzle
02-06-2005, 04:55 PM
If you're interested in good journalism schools... check out Syracuse University's S.I. Newhouse School of Communication. It's very well regarded in the industry and consistently ranks as one of the top journalism schools in the States. We're also a fairly large school with Division I athletics, so while our tennis team may not be very well known (or amazingly talented) they still get good competition.

The Syracuse University website is: http://www.syr.edu I'm in my 3rd year there as a magazine journalism major, so if you have any questions about the academics there, feel free to PM me any time, although I know absolutely nothing about our tennis program.

Although, as a sidenote, our tuition is obscene... I think it's around $36,000 or more.

ae wowww
02-06-2005, 05:02 PM
More thanks to: Leena, RodLo and savestheday (everyone that has helped me out:D)

Leena
02-06-2005, 05:05 PM
Hehe...

Yes, Syracuse's tuition prices are obscene. I thought about going there until I seen them.

MisterQ
02-06-2005, 05:21 PM
If you're interested in good journalism schools... check out Syracuse University's S.I. Newhouse School of Communication. It's very well regarded in the industry and consistently ranks as one of the top journalism schools in the States. We're also a fairly large school with Division I athletics, so while our tennis team may not be very well known (or amazingly talented) they still get good competition.

The Syracuse University website is: http://www.syr.edu I'm in my 3rd year there as a magazine journalism major, so if you have any questions about the academics there, feel free to PM me any time, although I know absolutely nothing about our tennis program.

Although, as a sidenote, our tuition is obscene... I think it's around $36,000 or more.

I haven't studied journalism, but I grew up near there and I can second that Syracuse seems to be very highly regarded in that field. :yeah:

ae wowww
02-06-2005, 05:39 PM
I haven't studied journalism, but I grew up near there and I can second that Syracuse seems to be very highly regarded in that field. :yeah:
You didn't? You seem very informed, I would've imagined you in that line :)