Metrosexual? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Metrosexual?

howardean
02-05-2005, 03:51 AM
thought this was good for a chuckle ;)

(Douglas Robinson for Tennis Magazine)

Clean Cut: The men of the ATP are shedding their leg-acy

Maria Sharapova isn't the only player whose silky-smooth legs have drawn oohs and ahhs lately. Juan Carlos Ferrerro, Guillermo Coria, and Carlos Moya, among others, have turned their share of heads for shaving their legs, which is fast becoming a trend on the men's tour.

"It does seem like a lot of guys are doing it," says Mardy Fish, who wants in on the record that he does not clip, trim, or shave his leg hair.

What's behind the metrosexual trend? Most players say it's more convenient for post-match rubdowns, because hairy legs can make a massage uncomfortable and follicles are more easily infected. "It's for massage," Ferrerro says, "not for looking good." ATP trainer Per Bastholt, who treats dozens of players in the locker room during every tournament, agrees. "It makes it easier to do massage therapy and other treatments."

Vittorio Selmi, an ATP tour manager, says shaving may give some players the illusion of better aerodynamics, like swimmers who shave their bodies before competition. He adds, "you feel, not lighter, but more clean when you sweat."

The Armenian Sargis Sargsian admits he has taken a razor to his thick, dark hair simply for entertainment. "I've done it a couple of times when I was bored in a hotel," he says.

While it's impossible to calculate how many men are eschewing the hirsute – ATP officials estimate that upwards of 50 percent of players perform some sort of hair removal – the trend is on the upswing. Its origin can be traced to Andre Agassi, who traded in his flowing locks for a shiny pate and streamlined body years ago. He still clips his legs, chest, and it appears, even his arms.

"Agassi was one of the first," Selmi says. "Things get trendy and everyone copies it."

Well, not everyone. "You look like a girl without any hair," says Belgium's Olivier Rochus. "I don't like it."

Ferrero Forever
02-05-2005, 03:56 AM
HELLO, look at coria, moya and especially Ferrero, they're very very attractive men, and even if ferrero didn't shave, he'd still be gorgeous. I personally like the no hair look better.

pryss
02-05-2005, 04:00 AM
LOL Ollie.... he made my day. :)

i don't mind the sight of hairless male players....it's just the thought of those manly men grabbing a razor and shaving that really bothers me... Imagine Lleyton Hewitt bringing that razor to his armpits and you'll understand. :tape:

Fee
02-05-2005, 04:07 AM
Last year there was a story in one of the Aussie papers about the beauty habits of some of the ATP players, but that focused on the ones that waxed their armpits. Perhaps these experiences will make them a little bit more sympathetic to the women in their lives... :lol:

jmp
02-05-2005, 04:20 AM
Thanks, howardean, and everybody who posted for the chuckles. ;)

Olivier! :yeah:

Eclectic Goddess
02-05-2005, 04:21 AM
I'll admit, I'm one of those women who likes my man smooth, though a little hair on the chest isn't a bad thing.

But shaving purely for the sake of massages? Yeah, sure, I buy that.

RodLo
02-05-2005, 04:22 AM

:lol:

Nikki♥
02-05-2005, 10:18 AM
"You look like a girl without any hair," says Belgium's Olivier Rochus. "I don't like it."

I second that. Shaved chests are sexy but shaved legs make men look like chicks. :o

roisin
02-05-2005, 10:21 AM
Well, not everyone. "You look like a girl without any hair," says Belgium's Olivier Rochus. "I don't like it."

:lol: oli u are such a dude! :yeah:

blosson
02-05-2005, 10:23 AM
OMG, can you imagine how much Pete Sampras [the hairyest player ever] used to suffer during massages?

Suzi
02-05-2005, 10:30 AM
I second that. Shaved chests are sexy but shaved legs make men look like chicks. :o

too true!! its just not rite for men to shave their legs, chest fine but legs, dont make me laugh :lol:

p.s. i luv ur av blosson!

ae wowww
02-05-2005, 10:40 AM
:lol: That's well interesting!!

Kiara
02-05-2005, 11:03 AM
ha ha ha Ferrero actually admitted to it, for years ive been wondering whether or not he shaved his legs, or just had really fine hair...:p

"You look like a girl without any hair," says Belgium's Olivier Rochus. "I don't like it."

you tell 'em Pocket :yeah:

Foxy Smile
02-05-2005, 11:04 AM
Hair on men's legs, hands, breast - it's so...mmmm.... masculine.
I like it :)

~EMiLiTA~
02-05-2005, 01:36 PM
so many of the guys do it...I noticed it last year...esp the Spaniards...and even some of the coaches!!!

hola
02-05-2005, 01:46 PM
Hair on men's legs, hands, breast - it's so...mmmm.... masculine.
I like it :) :yeah:
:p Man must have hair on their legs and hands and even on the chest. Love it! Imagine how the chest will be pricked, if they forget to shave it. :(
As alternative they can epilate it :eek:

TheBoiledEgg
02-05-2005, 01:50 PM
i've lost my hair naturally on the back of my calf's :lol:
my sisters jealous :rolls:

mitalidas
02-05-2005, 01:54 PM
better than shaving because "he was bored with nothing else to do in a hotel" (sargsian)

PaulieM
02-05-2005, 02:21 PM
i don't really care about the leg hair, but i'm not a fan of chest hair and God i wish they would all do away with armpit hair :scared:

"It does seem like a lot of guys are doing it," says Mardy Fish, who wants in on the record that he does not clip, trim, or shave his leg hair.
and umm mardy, why so defensive.... hmm could it be that you too love a good shave?? :unsure: don't worry i won't tell anyone ;)

Eclectic Goddess
02-05-2005, 06:00 PM
better than shaving because "he was bored with nothing else to do in a hotel" (sargsian)
True! But still worse than, "It was a dare."

TheMightyFed
02-05-2005, 06:21 PM
Vittorio Selmi, an ATP tour manager, says shaving may give some players the illusion of better aerodynamics
Quicker to the net ? How did Pete get his 7 Wimby's with so many hairs ? :rolls:

MariaV
02-05-2005, 06:27 PM
Quicker to the net ? How did Pete get his 7 Wimby's with so many hairs ? :rolls:

LMAO :haha: :haha:

joeb_uk
02-05-2005, 06:38 PM
There are other places that are better shaved, but doing your legs? very silly, but then again i doubt coria even had hair on his legs anyway.

Domino
02-05-2005, 06:42 PM
Bikers do the same. It seriously prevents infection whenever they get cut, hair gets in the way.

Chloe le Bopper
02-05-2005, 06:54 PM
I don't understand why leg hair is considered masculine. Women grow it too. Lots of chest hair on the other hand, I can understand considering that masculine. Men also get the monopoly on backhair ;)

Eclectic Goddess
02-05-2005, 07:26 PM
I don't understand why leg hair is considered masculine. Women grow it too. Lots of chest hair on the other hand, I can understand considering that masculine. Men also get the monopoly on backhair ;)
Ewww...back hair. I have NO problem with men shaving their back hair! Same thing for guys with lots of hair on their ass. Get rid of it!

Domino
02-05-2005, 07:44 PM
Ahem, certain places can only be addressed with wax, and I will tell you, the pain is not worth it, especially when I don't need to because my wife is fine with the middle eastern amount of hair.

Yonge
02-05-2005, 07:53 PM
Stubble on the face is annoying enough. Imagine stubble on your legs, armpits, chest, etc....

jole
02-05-2005, 07:58 PM
Stubble on the face is annoying enough. Imagine stubble on your legs, armpits, chest, etc....

Imagine the time it consumes to keep up with shaving your entire body.

mitalidas
02-05-2005, 08:37 PM
True! But still worse than, "It was a dare."

:lol: who said that?!!

MissMoJo
02-05-2005, 09:01 PM
Imagine the time it consumes to keep up with shaving your entire body.

I have a friend who does it every month or so, he uses a razor and nair......i think the combination cuts down on the defurring time.

maratski
02-05-2005, 09:39 PM
Ahem, certain places can only be addressed with wax, and I will tell you, the pain is not worth it, especially when I don't need to because my wife is fine with the middle eastern amount of hair.

That's good for you! I'm lucky Moroccan men aren't too picky on their wives. Me is way too lazy to take care of all places. ;)

When I see the word metrosexual I have to think of Fat Dave and Félilie, but they're not mentioned here. :confused:

Skyward
02-05-2005, 09:47 PM
It wouldn't hurt if Guga's coach trimmed his body hair a bit.

onewoman74
02-05-2005, 09:53 PM
I'm all for the metrosexual male. I can't stand body hair in general on men or women. It's the process of removing the hair that's annoying. Becks started the metrosexual trend and everyone began to copy. Becks is the metrosexual spokesman.

Éowyn
02-05-2005, 10:49 PM

i'd rather he'd shaved his legs than his head

Éowyn
02-05-2005, 10:52 PM
actually i think some hair good sampras amount of hair scary! andy has it about right pete was/is :eek:

Foxy Smile
02-05-2005, 11:02 PM
Men also get the monopoly on backhair ;)

Ehhh :p no no I didn't mean I like 'overhaired' men. I don't really like hairtufts stiking out of shirt :) In such cases it's better to shave! :)

mitalidas
02-05-2005, 11:07 PM
actually i think some hair good sampras amount of hair scary! andy has it about right pete was/is :eek:
andre's hair in his enfant terrible days was the top of the heap
there was hair coming out of every hole, crevice, nook and cranny in his body! many people of course thought it was the sexiest thing ever.... but i prefer andre's clean look

hola
02-05-2005, 11:52 PM
Ehhh :p no no I didn't mean I like 'overhaired' men. I don't really like hairtufts stiking out of shirt :) In such cases it's better to shave! :)
Yeah. Not too hairy. And no hair on the back. Not like agassi or Sampras, that is too much, for my opinion :rolleyes:

Eclectic Goddess
02-06-2005, 04:10 AM
It wouldn't hurt if Guga's coach trimmed his body hair a bit.
No way! Larri's like a great big teddy bear.

tangerine_dream
02-06-2005, 04:21 AM
Less is more. :D