1-Hewitt-----------------2-Agassi
-----------Safin/Ferrero-----------
----------Moya/Federer----------
---------Novak/Costa-------------

*Roddick can overtake Novak but he won't go higher than 7th

And its a great thing Novak and Costa will be in different groups :D

TennisHack
11-01-2002, 05:34 PM
Hmm, I rather like that Juan Carlos may be in Costa's group. If this stands, it could be very good for him.

The Hewitt-Safin-Moya group would produce some great matches, for sure.

TheBoiledEgg
11-01-2002, 05:59 PM
the placings for 3/4 5/6 and 7th plus WC are decided by lots

so it can be anything
I just hope Carlos gets in with Hewitt :D

Costa is dead who ever he plays (only chance he might have to win a set would be vs Ferrero)

Dissident
11-01-2002, 06:42 PM
lol @ TBE
I hope so too. :D

lurker
11-01-2002, 08:09 PM
Ugh....Moya beats Agassi in Paris and is not in his group at Shanghai. In fact, Agassi owns Ferrero, Costa and Federer. Yuck. Hewitt MUST make the final and THRASH him!!

TheBoiledEgg
11-01-2002, 08:43 PM
lurker ........ the groupings haven't been decided

its either or in those rows with ----------/-------------

TennisHack
11-01-2002, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by lurker
In fact, Agassi owns Ferrero, Costa and Federer.

:eek: What?!

Thanks, Eggy, for the explanation. The groups you posted, I still have to say, would be the most dynamic.

Chloe le Bopper
11-01-2002, 08:57 PM
Agassi owns Ferrero? Please.

1-1 is not owning.

Unless Roland Garros didn't happen, and I just dreamt that thrashing.

Entirely possible.

TennisHack
11-01-2002, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by Rebecca
Unless Roland Garros didn't happen, and I just dreamt that thrashing.

Entirely possible.

We must've been taking the same drugs, Rebecca, because I seem to recall that thrashing as well. What a beautiful match that was.

jcluvva
11-01-2002, 09:39 PM
That was JC's best match this year:bounce: :bounce:

Vera
11-01-2002, 09:46 PM
I remembered that thrashing too. We all have the same dream, how weird!:p :D :D :p

BTW, Costa is the only one in the group that have a winning record against JC, that's bcos Albert was lucky enough to avoid Ferrero on all hardcourt tourneys. Let just say, Albert had his moment.

lurker
11-01-2002, 11:12 PM
Phew!! This makes me a lot happier!:D

I hope it's Hewitt, Ferrero, Federer and Novak: Agassi, Safin, Moya, Costa. And Hewitt dumps Agassi in the finals!

Jackie
11-02-2002, 01:28 AM
Originally posted by lurker
...And Hewitt dumps Agassi in the finals!

That's all that is important to me

Sunfire
11-02-2002, 08:21 AM
I really hope Novak can do something in Shanghai. Well, maybe go to the semifinal... And good luck to Agassi and Hewitt too

babydoll
11-02-2002, 05:29 PM
I hope AgASSi loses early! GO HEWITT, SAFIN, FERRERO! :bounce:

claudine140
11-02-2002, 09:25 PM
it will be the third time moyke plays for the mastercup
1997: he beated sampras during the first match as underdog. It was the surprise of this tournement. He reaches the semifinal where he lost from Kafelnikov.
1998 he lost the final in five sets:(
2002 ... hope he can win it. Third time could be the good time!!!!

Ma. Estefania
11-03-2002, 08:57 PM
Go Marat!

Chloe le Bopper
11-04-2002, 01:37 AM
vivalaseles - I also hope that neither Agassi or Hewitt makes the final :D

But if one has to, I hope Andre does so that he can rip number one away from Hewitt :bounce:

My dream would be Moya and Ferrero - but well, my dream isn't going to happen ;)

Marat will likely be on a roll from Paris.

Doris Loeffel
11-04-2002, 11:48 AM
Goo Roger gooo!!

Nimi
11-04-2002, 01:53 PM
Ill settle for a Marat/Carlos final.

TheBoiledEgg
11-04-2002, 05:34 PM
that will be my ideal final too

Marat vs Carlos :D

Jessi
11-04-2002, 10:02 PM
mine too :D Although i wouldn't mind seeing Marat spank Hewitt again :p :D

Ma. Estefania
11-04-2002, 10:38 PM
It would be great that if Marat is in Hewitt's group, he could beat Hewitt again!
It would be great!!!!

GO MARAT!!!!!

Vera
11-04-2002, 10:38 PM
I hope Juanqui will win it all. I know it's gonna be difficult. But we fans can only hope for the best.:angel:

RogiFan
11-06-2002, 04:38 AM
:) AA MUST not reach the FINAL!!! It is every player's MISSION to BEAT him!!!!! AA must NOT take over the #1 position!

I would love a Federer/Ferrero final... !!:drool:

I think Moya is playing the best of the Spaniards -- Juanqui needs to work on his serve -- a lot!!

Safin's very dangerous if he plays the way he just did last week!!

Oh and, yeah, I LOVED that match between Ferrero and AA in RG02 QF!!! ;)

Jorge
11-06-2002, 04:54 AM
Costa vs Moyà to the final, all the way!!!!!

au xavals! a guanyar la copa de mestres!
:bounce::bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

claudine140
11-08-2002, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by Jorge
Costa vs Moyà to the final, all the way!!!!!

au xavals! a guanyar la copa de mestres!
:bounce::bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Be realistic, Moya in the final yes, but Costa?????:D

babydoll
11-08-2002, 07:48 PM
I would love to see an Marat and Juan Carlos final.. that would be sweet! :)

Ma. Estefania
11-08-2002, 09:29 PM
I agree.

Mr. Man
11-08-2002, 11:56 PM
me too! Chato lets all pray! :angel:

:)

Chloe le Bopper
11-09-2002, 07:38 AM
Myabe Ferrero can look to the indoor monster within for just one week ;)

Jessi
11-10-2002, 10:39 PM
Safin-Hewitt Rivalry Heats Up in Shanghai

Rivalry Makes Red Group Red Hot

By Eleanor Preston

There can be few rivalries in sport as intriguing as the developing battle between tennis' physically mismatched adversaries, Lleyton Hewitt and Marat Safin, whom have both been drawn in the Red Group.

Five inches in height and two places in the Champions Race separate the feisty Australian and his giant Russian counterpart, but temperamentally, they are a world apart.

The fact that they have been drawn together in the Red Group has added an extra spice, as if it were needed, to the round robin stage of the Masters Cup.

Hewitt is quick and agile, and equipped with an iron will and nice line in stubborn tenacity. All season his path to the Masters Cup has been characterised by consistency, topped off with one outstanding triumph at Wimbledon. He has been every inch the undisputed World No.1 all year and has scarcely put a foot wrong since earning the top spot at last year's Masters Cup in Sydney.

At 6ft 4 Safin towers above Hewitt and where the Australian is the model of reliability, Safin is as mercurial and unpredictable as they come. On court his mood can change so quickly that no sooner has the brow furrowed and the racket looked in danger of being smashed in rage, then the storm clouds disappear again and Safin's tennis is back to its imperious best.

We will have to wait until later in the week for a renewal of on court battle between the tenacious and the tempestuous. Until then both men have plenty on their plates today as they aim to start their Masters Cup campaigns off against Spanish opposition Tuesday.

Jessi
11-10-2002, 10:58 PM
Moya To Test Safin on First Day

By Eleanor Preston

When Tennis Masters Cup Shanghai begins Tuesday, Marat Safin faces a tough first-up assignment against one of this year's most successful renaissance men, Carlos Moya.

It's four years since Moya won his only Grand Slam title at Roland Garros. He went on to lose an emotionally draining five-set final to Alex Corretja at the Masters Cup later that year. Those glory days were followed by years in the wilderness as he struggled with a chronic back injury and for a while it seemed Moya's best days might be behind him until he rose from the ashes in spectacular style this season.

The man from Mallorca has picked up four titles this year, including the second Masters Series title of his career in Cincinnati, and has rediscovered a rich seam of form, culminating in his qualification for Shanghai, thanks in part to a run to the semifinals in Paris.

Moya ran into Safin there and the Russian's straight sets win suggests that he will start Tuesday's match as favourite. This, however, is the biggest stage of them all and Moya has always loved the adrenalin rush of playing in front of big crowds and for big prizes. He will be ready to take advantage of any signs that Safin's mind is wandering. Watch the Russian carefully. Every shrug of the shoulders and cry of anguish from will be another sign of encouragement for Moya.

Lleyton Hewitt v Albert Costa (Red Group)
On paper Hewitt's match against Albert Costa would seem easier to predict, but things are seldom that simple in tennis. The pair have played five times and Costa has come out on the winning side just once, two years ago at Roland Garros. More recently, Hewitt has been the boss and few would bet against that happening again, particularly since Costa hasn't won a match since the US Open in August.

Many a pundit has been made to look a fool by statistics, though and Costa may just have something special up his sleeve. He was thrilled to qualify for Shanghai, doing so by virtue of his Grand Slam win at Roland Garros, and will be playing with nothing to lose. Let's face it, no-one predicted Costa would take the glory in Paris either.

Juan Carlos Ferrero v Roger Federer (Gold Group)
Juan Carlos Ferrero knows form bitter experience just how dangerous Costa can be, having lost to him in that all Spanish final. Ferrero will be in action for the day's last match when he takes on Roger Federer. The man dubbed 'the Federer Express' will be hoping to derail Ferrero this evening and the signs point to it being a contest worthy of two of tennis' brightest young stars.

Federer and Ferrero have been drawn in the Gold Group with Andre Agassi and Jiri Novak. With their rivals resting, both men know this is a golden chance to get some points on the board early. They have met twice before and on both occasions Ferrero has triumphed but they haven't played for two years and Federer has improved beyond recognition since they last met in August 2000. The three titles the Swiss has bagged this year, including his first Masters Series trophy in Hamburg, are proof of that. All in all it should be quite a day.

Mr. Man
11-11-2002, 12:48 AM
good articles. Thanks Jessi! Lets Go Safin! :bounce:

Jorge
11-13-2002, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by claudine140

Be realistic, Moya in the final yes, but Costa?????:D

I am pretty realistic, don't you think?;)

anyway i am happy with the performance of Carlitos and Beto, if they doesn't wins, i am already satisfied with their seasons