Mardy in San Jose [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Mardy in San Jose

Deboogle!.
02-05-2005, 12:28 AM
Mardy drew Enqvist then Ginepri/Young, then most likely Andy.

Enqvist is an excellent indoor player. But his career is really on the downswing and Mardy should win. he should beat Ginepri (who should beat Young)....but then Andy in the QF.

roisin
02-05-2005, 12:47 AM
eek. ok come on mardy, let the wisdom of the lack of long hair work its magic! :bounce:

Deboogle!.
02-05-2005, 01:17 AM
So Mardy's match has already been scheduled for Wed. night after Andy's which starts at 7 PST.

roisin
02-05-2005, 01:25 AM
my god they have all this stuff sorted pretty quickly dont they! its only saturday (morning!)

Deboogle!.
02-05-2005, 01:30 AM
Actually, this tourney has been advertising Andre on Tuesday night and Andy on Wednesday night for MONTHS! They've been doing it to sell tickets. So they just added in the names. It's quite brilliant, really!

http://sapopentennis.com/tennis/schedule/

(psst. and actually in California where the tourney is, it's only 5:30pm on Friday afternoon;))

roisin
02-05-2005, 01:34 AM
haha talk about organisation!

:bowdown: san jose organisational skills :bowdown:

Éowyn
02-05-2005, 01:51 AM
hey!!!! who said he should beat robby? i'm so torn

Aleksa's Laydee
02-05-2005, 03:11 PM
this draw sucks!!

aceit
02-05-2005, 03:24 PM
hey!!!! who said he should beat robby? i'm so torn
Deb did. And I concur. :p

Deboogle!.
02-05-2005, 04:55 PM
I think Mardy is much much more talented than Robby... that's just my opinion. Robby's a decent fighter though and I haven't seen that from Mardy. When I saw Robby last year, he saved like 4 match points and came back to win a match in 3 sets. But this is also indoors which ought to favor Mardy.

Jennay
02-05-2005, 05:20 PM
Erm.. just get past the second round. :)

aceit
02-05-2005, 08:36 PM
Erm.. just get past the second round. :)
Way to think. :yeah:

Aleksa's Laydee
02-05-2005, 09:55 PM
:lol: thats a plan!

sophia_c
02-05-2005, 10:15 PM
Mardy is way more talented than Ginepri.....he will get the fight...its not in his nature...I have said it before...he is way too nice a person to be like that...but it will come....and a 1/4 against Andy could be good for him.....

Éowyn
02-05-2005, 11:45 PM
they've both won 1 tourny each, and both have very similar records overall, and robby was number 2 junior behind roddick back in the day, and jnr USO runner up behind andy!

personally i think they both have similar amount of potential and talent but both are so damn irritating with it. if mardy would fight as hard as rooby does and if robby would play some of the shots that mardy does. they're both so frustating but still gotta love em both!

aceit
02-06-2005, 12:24 AM
I love how you are truly wanting it to be an amazing 7-6,6-7,7-6(289437328462304832) match. :p :hug:

Éowyn
02-06-2005, 01:57 AM
I love how you are truly wanting it to be an amazing 7-6,6-7,7-6(289437328462304832) match. :p :hug:

:lol: yeah that'd be great but the most annoying thing is none of the games are being shown here so i'll have to watch the scoreboards online but knowing my lucky they won't even get to play each other they'll both get knocked out in rd1 :rolleyes: but i hope thats not the case!

J. Corwin
02-06-2005, 03:44 AM
haha talk about organisation!

:bowdown: san jose organisational skills :bowdown:

damn straight! ;)

Kiara
02-08-2005, 05:46 PM
Mardy has much more natural talent than Ginepri, too bad he doesnt do anything with it :(

rue
02-08-2005, 10:56 PM
Mardy has much more natural talent than Ginepri, too bad he doesnt do anything with it :(

His time will come whether it is this year or next year. I am waiting for him to really break through and figure out his game and play from within himself. It would certainly be sad if he wasted all that talent that he possesses.

Éowyn
02-08-2005, 11:54 PM

gotta defend robby and disagree with that as i've been watching both for along time now i think they're both very similar levels of talent and mardy was well behind robby in the juniors and challengers he's caught up alot now and they are about level. both have very different abilities and good points but they're still pretty evenly matched in overall talent.

Deboogle!.
02-09-2005, 12:34 AM

yea, I agree. Mardy has a much more natural feel for the game than Robby.

But really, Robby's not doing much with his talent either.

However, I believe that if Mardy were at the same level of physical shape as Robby (who I've heard trains very hard), he would probably be ranked a lot higher :(

Kiara
02-09-2005, 05:34 AM
Personally I think Mardy is the most gifted of the b-list Ameicans,( but I may be biased :p ) imo out of all of them, he has the closest thing to a complete game

Mardy is a natural serve and volleyer (even though he forgets that sometimes) that requires him to be a great athlete,what he needs to work on is his speed, mobility and stamina,while Robbie is more of a power baseliner so the way he's built is perfect for his hit the crap out of the ball game..

Is it Robby or Robbie? :confused:

I wish mardy had half the intensity, athleticism and concentration that Pat Rafter had :(

Deboogle!.
02-09-2005, 06:35 AM
Personally I think Mardy is the most gifted of the b-list Ameicans,( but I may be biased :p ) imo out of all of them, he has the closest thing to a complete game

I agree completely. and I like most of them, so I'm not really biased too much. :p

Mardy is a natural serve and volleyer (even though he forgets that sometimes) that requires him to be a great athlete,what he needs to work on is his speed, mobility and stamina,while Robbie is more of a power baseliner so the way he's built is perfect for his hit the crap out of the ball game..

Yes. Exactly.

Is it Robby or Robbie? :confused:

Robby:)

I wish mardy had half the intensity, athleticism and concentration that Pat Rafter had :(

Pat :hearts: :inlove:

Aleksa's Laydee
02-09-2005, 09:23 PM
good luck mards tonight ;) ahem...mardy :p

paige
02-09-2005, 09:55 PM
good luck mards tonight ;) ahem...mardy :p

Now that I know Mards means "mischief" in another language (not sure which one, it was on Open Strings), I'll be using be calling him his real name more than Fishy!

Éowyn
02-09-2005, 11:54 PM
he shall be called fishy and fishy shall be his name, by no other name shall the fishy be called but fishy!

paige
02-10-2005, 12:01 AM
he shall be called fishy and fishy shall be his name, by no other name shall the fishy be called but fishy!

That's what it says on his hockey jersey, it must be true!!
(Even though his team is in direct opposition to mine!)

Éowyn
02-10-2005, 12:41 AM
That's what it says on his hockey jersey, it must be true!!
(Even though his team is in direct opposition to mine!)

hmm maybe andys should say dicky or maybe ducky! although i think dicky would be funnier! :lol:

Deboogle!.
02-10-2005, 05:51 AM
Mardy was up 6-3 in the first set TB and lost it 6-8

:sad: This is really becoming too much to bear.

Then in classic Mardy style he dropped serve to open the second and lost it 1-6...

Honestly, this is really too much :sad:

liptea
02-10-2005, 06:36 AM
Argh.

J. Corwin
02-10-2005, 07:25 AM
Mardy :o

rue
02-10-2005, 07:39 AM
now this loss is really bad. How can someone lose a tiebreaker like that. It is all mental until he can get it together, it is going to be really tough for him

Kiara
02-10-2005, 07:41 AM
craptastic :(

He's the defending finalist..of course he's going to lose in the first round :o

remember when Mardy used to be good and held 78 consecutive service games or sth insane like that? :sad: what a spectacular start to the year :fiery:

paige
02-10-2005, 07:46 AM
What a crappy day in San Jose. Blah.

Deboogle!.
02-10-2005, 03:44 PM
Yea, Kiara, I remember that - 2003 Cincy...

and last year, he'd had a disappointing Australian summer but then came back to the US and played great in San Jose all through to the final and winning the dubs title.

rue, it's definitely all mental. His game, though obviously has room for improvement, is there. He's got all the shots, he's got a good all-around game, but he needs to keep getting into better physical shape. He NEEDS, BADLY, a sports psychologist. This song and dance is getting REALLY old.

Golfnduck
02-10-2005, 03:53 PM
Well, shit. Mardy just lost a ton of points. I don't know if he'll play Davis Cup at all this year. Taylor has been playing pretty well and Mardy still has his head lodged in his ass.

Deboogle!.
02-10-2005, 03:57 PM
Yeah, he'll lose a decent # of points from this, his ranking will definitely drop

ataptc
02-10-2005, 04:08 PM
will he realise he needs to do something about his mental game? :mad:

Éowyn
02-10-2005, 04:21 PM
i guess mardy didn't want to play robby either he was trying to do me a favour

Éowyn
02-10-2005, 04:23 PM
Well, shit. Mardy just lost a ton of points. I don't know if he'll play Davis Cup at all this year. Taylor has been playing pretty well and Mardy still has his head lodged in his ass.

mardy taylor etc all have no chance of davis cup matches now! as long as andre has agreed to play andy and andre are the only players getting matches barring injuries.

thelma
02-10-2005, 04:25 PM
Mardy :sad:

smucav
02-10-2005, 04:47 PM
I don't know if he'll play Davis Cup at all this year. Taylor has been playing pretty well and Mardy still has his head lodged in his ass. PMac has already named Dent as the fifth man on the team for the 1R tie. I would say that Ginepri, Spadea, & even Blake (if he can string together more back to back wins) would be ahead of Fish on the list right now for #2 (if Agassi opts not to play a tie).

Aleksa's Laydee
02-10-2005, 05:53 PM
ooh mardys whats wrong with you??

Deboogle!.
02-10-2005, 06:42 PM
PMac has already named Dent as the fifth man on the team for the 1R tie. I would say that Ginepri, Spadea, & even Blake (if he can string together more back to back wins) would be ahead of Fish on the list right now for #2 (if Agassi opts not to play a tie).

I agree, definitely. PMac has already expressed his disapproval of Mardy's mental progress - he seemed very dedicated to keeping him on the team and giving him a chance, but if the guys around him are able to step up, he's going to be left out in the cold.

ataptc, I'm sure Mardy knows there's a problem. Maybe what he doesn't know is how to deal with it or maybe he's not willing to seek a psychologist yet - that's a big step for a lot of people that they have trouble taking, athlete or not.

aceit
02-10-2005, 08:08 PM
It's tough being a Mardy fan. :sad:

i guess mardy didn't want to play robby either he was trying to do me a favour
YOU are the reason he lost!!! :mad:

Hehe. ;)

Jennay
02-10-2005, 09:32 PM
Fabulous!

Fuck you, Mardy! :banana: :banana:

:o

Éowyn
02-10-2005, 09:53 PM
YOU are the reason he lost!!! :mad:

Hehe. ;)

i appologise yes fishy was so distraught at the thought of being torn between him and robby so he decided to throw the match for me! sorry! :sad:

rue
02-10-2005, 11:15 PM
It is tough being a Mardy fan, but I still will support him no matter what. Taylor seems to have gotten things together this year. He even beat Nalbandian today which really is amazing.

paige
02-10-2005, 11:32 PM
Fish and Blake break Aspelin/Perry!!!!
2-0 first set

aceit
02-10-2005, 11:35 PM
Go Mardy & James!!!!

i appologise yes fishy was so distraught at the thought of being torn between him and robby so he decided to throw the match for me! sorry! :sad:
You're killing me. :p

LMFAO AT YOUR ICON!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:haha: :haha: :haha:

paige
02-10-2005, 11:51 PM
Would you like cream cheese or butter with that 6-0 bagel???!!!!
:woohoo: :woohoo:

This is perfect payback for Aspelin/Perry torture last week! PER-FECT!

Éowyn
02-11-2005, 12:15 AM
You're killing me. :p

LMFAO AT YOUR ICON!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:haha: :haha: :haha:

if it make syou feel any better robby decided to fuck his game up too :mad: they both drive me up the wall sometime but gah! i still gotta love them!

glad ya like the icon :) i've been meaning to make it since i saw the trend start but didn't get around to doing it till tonight

aceit
02-11-2005, 12:17 AM
No words can express how amazing it is. ;)

Éowyn
02-11-2005, 12:17 AM
Would you like cream cheese or butter with that 6-0 bagel???!!!!
:woohoo: :woohoo:

This is perfect payback for Aspelin/Perry torture last week! PER-FECT!

come one boys keep it up!

Éowyn
02-11-2005, 12:27 AM
i hate tie breaks

Éowyn
02-11-2005, 12:31 AM
can't any of my boys win tie breaks anymore? :smash: this is why you never bagel good players if they tank the last set :mad:

paige
02-11-2005, 12:37 AM
Yep, I regret to inform they lost the tiebreak 7-6 (7-3)...

Éowyn
02-11-2005, 12:39 AM
but they were 2-0 up in the tie break :mad:

Éowyn
02-11-2005, 12:53 AM
:mad: so predictable break back boys or else!

Éowyn
02-11-2005, 01:01 AM
:smash: start so well and then throw it away.

oh well at least robby/jan-mike are still in it (for now)

paige
02-11-2005, 01:03 AM
A&P win 0-6, 7-6 (7-3), 6-3.

How disheartening...
Lauren scream/cry some for me, OK? I'm in a room full of people who wouldn't get it...

And A&P... in two mere weeks you've become my sworn enemies. DIE!!! (on the court, of course)

aceit
02-11-2005, 01:07 AM
Ughh. I mean, I'm sure they worked hard and tried but I'm really sad. I've learned not to be too mean talking about people like them because there's no way in hell I could come close to what they do. It's just sad seeing them lose when they were up a set and a break. :sad:

Éowyn
02-11-2005, 01:11 AM
they had chances they were deuce a couple a times in the 3rd set, they messed up their own serve just the once and lost it :sad: it's shame. they'll get there though!

Jennay
02-11-2005, 01:20 AM
Omg. :o

paige
02-11-2005, 01:20 AM
Ughh. I mean, I'm sure they worked hard and tried but I'm really sad. I've learned not to be too mean talking about people like them because there's no way in hell I could come close to what they do. It's just sad seeing them lose when they were up a set and a break. :sad:

I know... I know...
And those beeyotches A&P, I can't begin to tell you how unimpressed I was by them last week. I actually thought the guys who lost to them in the semis outplayed them.

Deboogle!.
02-11-2005, 01:25 AM
Wow :o

When I saw them in Houston, they were mentally very strong together even when they were mentally weak apart. Gah.

aceit
02-11-2005, 01:32 AM
I know... I know...
And those beeyotches A&P, I can't begin to tell you how unimpressed I was by them last week. I actually thought the guys who lost to them in the semis outplayed them.
Where'd you see them?

paige
02-11-2005, 01:33 AM
Where'd you see them?

Delray. They ended up winning the whole thing too. Grrrrr!

paige
02-11-2005, 01:34 AM
Wow :o

When I saw them in Houston, they were mentally very strong together even when they were mentally weak apart. Gah.

I guess that really is the difference ... last week and now this week too.

Deboogle!.
02-11-2005, 02:40 AM
Last week, huh?

I meant Mardy and James.... they didn't play doubles last week... you're confuzzling me Paige :p

paige
02-11-2005, 02:44 AM
Last week, huh?

I meant Mardy and James.... they didn't play doubles last week... you're confuzzling me Paige :p

You know I wasn't quite sure and I guessed wrong.
Dang!!!

rue
02-11-2005, 02:52 AM
I wonder if Mardy does see just how predictable he is after he has lost the first match. He may work on his fitness as much as he can,but mentally I think that is what he will need to work on the most. It is just sad seeing him do this to himself. He just needs to forget that he played a first set if he lost it and then fight even harder in the second rather than to let it dwell in his mind.

Deboogle!.
02-11-2005, 04:04 PM
You know I wasn't quite sure and I guessed wrong.
Dang!!!

hehe that's ok (wait I just realized you won't even see this for a few days:o)

rue, I totally agree. I've had friends going through tough times mentally, and it's hard to see you have a problem. It's tough to admit you need help. That's human nature, we want to fix things on our own. But, I was really optimistic about his new coaching team. I thought they would be able to help him mentally - Todd was always a great fighter, he had a good 5-set match record and he always plugged along til the end of a match, you could never count him out. I'm sure Todd can share some of that with Mardy. I hope Mardy trusts him, and if he says it's time to bring someone in from the outside to help, that he will go along with it.

It's making me so sad to see this happen to him. Because I KNOW he's better than this. In terms of raw talent, I think he's one of the top 10-15 in the world, and it makes me want to cry that he can't win a damn match :(