Should have Agassi retired before ? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Should have Agassi retired before ?

TheMightyFed
02-04-2005, 09:43 PM
Even if he can still have a great run at the USO, it will be very difficult for Andre to win another Grand Slam, given the current competition at the top, and his age...
But with his character and his flamboance, is it possible he leaves the tour quietly ? I don't think so... :worship:
When do you think would have been the best moment to retire ?
When he reached the number 1 spot in 2003 becoming the oldest to do so ?
After his last title in Australia ?
After his last title in a TMS in Cincinatti 2004 ?
Never, no need for this guy to retire at the top ?
He will find something else ?

howardean
02-04-2005, 09:59 PM
i don't think he should retire until he starts to lose to the people he shouldn't or can't compete against the top level players. he's so great for the sport that it would be sad to see him go out on a negative note.

remember how bad pete's final season was before he won the open?

LiZpHaIr
02-04-2005, 10:06 PM
Andre should have retired after his last Aussi Open.

jmgsdoubsprtnr
02-04-2005, 10:20 PM
I'm thinking he should've... what's the last thing he won? i don't even remember. he should've gone along with Petey (sampras) and gone out with a bang. too bad not everyone can have such a fairy-tale ending!

elizabeth_c
02-04-2005, 10:26 PM
i don't think he should retire until he starts to lose to the people he shouldn't or can't compete against the top level players. he's so great for the sport that it would be sad to see him go out on a negative note.

well said and i agree 100%!

rwn
02-04-2005, 10:30 PM
Why retire when you reach the quarterfinals in Grand Slams? That's better than 120 other players in the draw. I think he should continue as long as he wants to play unless he starts to lose in first or second rounds.

Leena
02-04-2005, 11:03 PM
As long as Andre is still capable of winning matches, and deserving his place in MD's... it's entirely his decision.

niko
02-04-2005, 11:31 PM
Even if he can still have a great run at the USO, it will be very difficult for Andre to win another Grand Slam, given the current competition at the top, and his age...
But with his character and his flamboance, is it possible he leaves the tour quietly ? I don't think so... :worship:
Excellent quote!

tennischick
02-05-2005, 01:34 AM

well said mi amigo. how soon folks forget.

another answer: Baldy should retire the minute players other than Federer have the guts to say in public that he is not a personal threat. so far only Federer has had the balls to do it. the silence among the rest of the tour is deafening. go Agassi!!!!! ;)

martinaHforever
02-05-2005, 01:38 AM
Maybe Agassi should retire when/if Roddick/Hewitt figures out a way to beat him. When is the last time he lost to those chumps?

Poljud
02-05-2005, 01:40 AM
Agassi still has the game to beat Roddick and Hewitt, the 2nd and 3rd ranked players in the world, why should he retire?

mitalidas
02-05-2005, 02:06 AM
Agassi doesn't want to be #3, or #4 when he retires, and disappear quietly. and it doesnt seem to me that "reaching the qf and sf" is going to be a great finish to his career.
he is looking to end the way Pete did. but if there are always going to be 2 or 3 guys who can beat him, what options does he have any more?
give a retirement speech after a4th round defeat at Indian wells? won't happen.

mitalidas
02-05-2005, 02:08 AM
IMO, andre should say something like "the AO 2006 is the last tournament i play"
it is his best surface. chances are he will get reasonably deep into the draw.

with a pre-announced buildup, spectators all over the world, at the AO and at tournaments before, will at least get to watch him play his last match, give him a standing ovation, the speeches, and such things. Bow out in style

martinaHforever
02-05-2005, 03:17 AM
Agassi was asked last week if he would retire if he won another Grand Slam. He said, "I think that would just be more motivation for me to keep going."

martinaHforever
02-05-2005, 03:21 AM
I think Agassi is ready to win more slams. I base this on the Johansson 51 ace match. And Johannson was hitting the ball huge off both wings aswell. I rate it as Agassi's best performance in 2 years.

jole
02-05-2005, 03:22 AM
No, but Marc Rosset should.

tennischick
02-05-2005, 03:22 AM
Baldy :hearts: the media master ;)

tennis4you
02-05-2005, 03:27 AM
It is like Courier said...

Nobody is asking the #9 ranked player in the world when he is going to retire... Andre is ranked #8.

MisterQ
02-05-2005, 03:30 AM
No, he should not have retired, imo. The past few years, despite some low points, have been a special chapter in his career. It's rare that someone plays so well and continues to improve some aspects of his game after 15+ years on the tour. This longetivity will be a part of his legacy which will distinguish him from some other tennis greats. And I think many fans are inspired by his continued excellence and determination at an age when most tennis players have thrown in the towel. Making his way to the Masters Cup 2003 final, challenging Federer more consistently than anyone else in 2004, pulling out another Masters Series in Cincinnati 2004 after a slump: these were exciting accomplishments. His career would still be great if he had retired earlier, but the past couple of years have added something, even without a slam title.

As for going out with a bang --- I think Pete was fortunate to be able to go out winning a grand slam. But most players, even great players, don't get to do that. It will be awesome if Andre can do something similar, but there should be no sense of failure if he doesn't.

howardean
02-05-2005, 03:42 AM
As for going out with a bang --- I think Pete was fortunate to be able to go out winning a grand slam. But most players, even great players, don't get to do that. It will be awesome if Andre can do something similar, but there should be no sense of failure if he doesn't.

exactly

mitalidas
02-05-2005, 03:44 AM
It is like Courier said...
Nobody is asking the #9 ranked player in the world when he is going to retire... Andre is ranked #8.

well there is a deep difference in the #9 player is versus the #8 player who has won 8 GS.

its not that he's #8 that prompts this question. It is the fact that when you've been number 1 for so long, and now cannot reach important finals, do you stomach it and go on with QFs and SFs or do you call it a day because you feel your best is behind you

it has nothing to do with his #8 ranking

tennis4you
02-05-2005, 03:54 AM
Still, he is one of the best players in the world, why would he retire if he is still enjoying competing. He obviously enjoys it, otherwise he would be a miserabel miserabel man. If you were in the top 10 players in the world and people kept asking if you planned on retiring soon what would you say?

What I get a kick out of is that people who know 1/100th about tennis compared to Agassi are talking about when they think he should retire.

yawn

mitalidas
02-05-2005, 03:56 AM
Still, he is one of the best players in the world, why would he retire if he is still enjoying competing. He obviously enjoys it, otherwise he would be a miserabel miserabel man. If you were in the top 10 players in the world and people kept asking if you planned on retiring soon what would you say?

What I get a kick out of is that people who know 1/100th about tennis compared to Agassi are talking about when they think he should retire.

yawn

like you?
i think you just made a suggestion that he shouldn't retire
sure seem to get a kick out of yourself
double yawn

Action Jackson
02-05-2005, 04:02 AM
I don't like Agassi much, but the facts are that he is still competitive on the tour and beating many players who are coming into their peaks, when he is past his. This being the case he should play on as long as he is competitive and is enjoying it and that doesn't mean he should retire, actually there are some guys I like more than Agassi, who should be thinking about that.

Then again maybe Steffi has a huge budget that Andre needs to go out and bring in some more bacon.

mitalidas
02-05-2005, 04:06 AM
I don't like Agassi much, but the facts are that he is still competitive on the tour and beating many players who are coming into their peaks, when he is past his. This being the case he should play on as long as he is competitive and is enjoying it and that doesn't mean he should retire, actually there are some guys I like more than Agassi, who should be thinking about that.

yeah, no one knows however, whether andre is actually enjoying being competitive and reaching "just" the QFs or SFs, or whether it is grating on his mind that he may not have the perfect finish to a hallowed career. it is my belief that he is looking to end on a high, not just compete and "do well"

Who wouldn't like to go out like Pete? and, in andre's favor, he is doing much better in "his slump" than pete did in his 33-tournament streak

Action Jackson
02-05-2005, 04:09 AM
I don't know Agassi personally and only he can answer that question really. If he is not enjoying playing then he shouldn't be doing it, it's not like he doesn't have plenty of stuff to do after tennis or needs the cash.

mitalidas
02-05-2005, 04:15 AM
I don't know Agassi personally and only he can answer that question really. If he is not enjoying playing then he shouldn't be doing it, it's not like he doesn't have plenty of stuff to do after tennis or needs the cash.
dont think any MTF people know agassi personally
but precisely because he doesn't need the cash, it would appear that there are other reasons for continued play --possibly enjoyment, and possibly a desire to go out on top

if he is interested in just the enjoyment, and a limited schedule, there is always the "Legends" circuit where he can join courier after all....

Action Jackson
02-05-2005, 04:16 AM
He'd be too good for the Legends circuit, and that would mean he would have to play in Europe more than he does now.

mitalidas
02-05-2005, 04:18 AM
well it will be interesting to see what decision 2006 brings, if he loses before the Final or SF for the remaining majors of 2005

Action Jackson
02-05-2005, 04:19 AM
If he disappeared now I wouldn't care, but as I said as long as he enjoys playing the game and he is still ranked highly, then he should continue.

martinaHforever
02-05-2005, 04:37 AM
Agassi won't retire on top with the perfect finish. He already said that if he wins a slam it will motivate him to keep going. So the only way he will retire is when he's struggling to compete for slams. And that is the best way to retire.

If you retire on top then it may feel like you missed out on an opportunity to win more.

Prizeidiot
02-05-2005, 05:35 AM
He should retire when he stops enjoying tennis. He's still competitive, and still a threat. He deserves to be in the main draws of slams, and deserves to be rated a chance every time. He'll stop when he has a good reason.

vogus
02-05-2005, 06:07 AM
IMO, andre should say something like "the AO 2006 is the last tournament i play"
it is his best surface. chances are he will get reasonably deep into the draw.

with a pre-announced buildup, spectators all over the world, at the AO and at tournaments before, will at least get to watch him play his last match, give him a standing ovation, the speeches, and such things. Bow out in style

this post shows how little you understand Agassi. Planning it or orchestrating it in advance for PR purposes is not his style. At this point, Andre doesnt give a damn about PR buildup, standing ovations and speeches.

Agassi is unquestionably in the Top 10, and as long as he remains there, he might even play another three or four years at a limited schedule, if it suits him.

Agassi can win another GS title, maybe even two or three more in the best case - if he ever stops drawing Roger in the QF, that is. He still owns Roddick and Hewitt. RG he has no chance at anymore, but the other three GS tournies, he is still a threat.

Action Jackson
02-05-2005, 06:10 AM
Agassi won't win another Slam unless he gets a favourable draw. I have said he should go out on his own merits whenever he stops enjoying the game.

CMON_LLEYTON
02-05-2005, 07:44 AM
Great player. Great sportsman. Great bloke. Great humanitarian.

An inspiration to all those 30 plus year ole tennis pros in that you can still play and be fully fit at a ripe old age by tennis standards.

But with Federer in full flight and Safin on the rise, it will be tough for him to win another slam unfortunately as much as Id love him to win one more.

The main barrier for Agassi is himself and he will stop playing when he doesnt feel like playing anymore.

mitalidas
02-05-2005, 03:01 PM
this post shows how little you understand Agassi. Planning it or orchestrating it in advance for PR purposes is not his style. At this point, Andre doesnt give a damn about PR buildup, standing ovations and speeches.

hey, this post was about what I think he should do
no one here, including you, can claim to know or understand agassi.

btw: if players gives a shit about their fans and know that they are playing their last tournaments, they often announce their last tour, so that fans are not upended. pete might have been an exception, because he might not have himself decided it was his last one

and also-- if agassi does not care about the PR purposes, why is he involved in so many advertisements? greed for $$$$??? yeah sure...you do understand him well

TheMightyFed
02-05-2005, 07:23 PM
All this buzz about Agassi coming back to DC... A DC in December 05 would be a great farewell and a perfect timing for Andre ! Ok, I stop dreaming...

vogus
02-05-2005, 08:45 PM
hey, this post was about what I think he should do
no one here, including you, can claim to know or understand agassi.

btw: if players gives a shit about their fans and know that they are playing their last tournaments, they often announce their last tour, so that fans are not upended. pete might have been an exception, because he might not have himself decided it was his last one

and also-- if agassi does not care about the PR purposes, why is he involved in so many advertisements? greed for $$$$??? yeah sure...you do understand him well

i merely pointed out that Andre is not likely to end his career in the way you suggested. And i say that with confidence, because i have a certain understanding of his character. Agassi is not Sampras, and he is especially not Michael Chang who wanted to squeeze out every last bit of media attention for himself that he could.

TheMightyFed
02-05-2005, 09:01 PM
he is especially not Michael Chang who wanted to squeeze out every last bit of media attention for himself that he could.
The way he retired was a bit pathetic with 1st round upsets on the way out...

vogus
02-05-2005, 09:06 PM
The way he retired was a bit pathetic with 1st round upsets on the way out...

yeah, it was pathetic. Chang could have retired five years earlier, and and nothing would have been lost from his career.

Billabong
02-05-2005, 09:07 PM
Andre:bowdown:

foul_dwimmerlaik
02-05-2005, 09:28 PM
Andre should retire when he feels like it - not later and not earlier. He's accomplished so much already that he could play just for the pleasure of it, and I'd be grateful if he does. All that internet claptrap telling a sports legend that he should do this or that is just laughable.

mitalidas
02-05-2005, 09:32 PM
Andre should retire when he feels like it - not later and not earlier. He's accomplished so much already that he could play just for the pleasure of it, and I'd be grateful if he does. All that internet claptrap telling a sports legend that he should do this or that is just laughable.

that's true for all players, including Chang who is somewhat slandered (see above) for having hung around for "5 additional years"
if they're good enough to get into the main draws, anyone should and can play and it's none of our business --not just agassi, but chang and gimelstob and anyone else

but you will notice that most of the forum questions are about things that is none of any of our business --yet all of us, you and i included, have an opinion and state it here!

TheMightyFed
02-05-2005, 09:41 PM
Sure, nobody said the contrary. But the way Agassi is, his fans would expect him to leave the stage on a special note, and my question is : which one ? Maybe he had many opportunities to do it after an already long career and he missed them.
I agree on the fact he can play as long as he wants, but I would be sad to see him slapped in USO finals for example, like Rosewall was by Connors in 1974, 6-1 6-0 6-1...
you'll say: he reaches the final, it's already great at his age, bla bla...
but the fans want to see him winning a last time, to keep this winner image in their mind.

foul_dwimmerlaik
02-06-2005, 12:42 AM
you'll say: he reaches the final, it's already great at his age, bla bla...
but the fans want to see him winning a last time, to keep this winner image in their mind.The way I see it, Andre more then fulfilled any obligations that he ever had to his fans. The man won 8 majors, what more do you want from him? Surely, It'll be swell if he could go out with a bang, but it's his life and his career and he's already one of the greatest, nothing's goung to tarnish that. If, starting with this day, he'll never win one single match, it doesn't matter. It'll be history taking the court all the same.

Sure, everyone's entitled to their opinion and all that jazz. It just seems a little... selfish to demand of the man who already gave half his life to the game, to do this or that just so his fans would feel good about his image.

mitalidas
02-06-2005, 12:50 AM
Sure, everyone's entitled to their opinion and all that jazz. It just seems a little... selfish to demand of the man who already gave half his life to the game, to do this or that just so his fans would feel good about his image.
somehow I dont think its a stretch to think that andre himself would like to go out with a win, at a tier 1 or GS, for his own pride and happiness
(even if it didn't make a dent on what his fans felt about his image)

trixy
02-06-2005, 12:52 AM
I think Andre has already done enough to play for as long as he likes and retire on whatever terms he wants to.

perfect_spy
02-06-2005, 12:57 AM
He should play as long as he wants to, i see no reason why he should stop playing.

foul_dwimmerlaik
02-06-2005, 01:21 AM
somehow I dont think its a stretch to think that andre himself would like to go out with a win, at a tier 1 or GS, for his own pride and happiness
(even if it didn't make a dent on what his fans felt about his image)He already won what, 59 titles? You think 60th one would make a huge difference? He won *everything* already. Anyway, he won Cincy04, did he stop? No. Just because Sampras went out with his last big win, it doesn't mean that everyone else dreams of the same. There's more to the game then just winning.

Andre wants to play, so let him play as long as he wants it. There'll never be anything in his life that he does better then play tennis.

federer express
02-06-2005, 01:24 AM
He already won what, 59 titles? You think 60th would make a huge difference? He won *everything* already. Anyway, he won Cincy04, did he stop? No. Just because Sampras went out with his last big win, it doesn't mean that everyone else dreams of the same. There's more to the game then just winning.

Andre wants to play, so let him play as long as he wants it. There'll never be anything in his life that he does better then play tennis.

yup!!!! the guy has earnt the right to play as long as he can. he is still one of the best and most entertaining players in the world. people should be glad he still plays and realise that the day he retires will be a sad one

TheMightyFed
02-06-2005, 07:27 AM
It just seems a little... selfish to demand of the man who already gave half his life to the game, to do this or that just so his fans would feel good about his image.
You're just becoming a bit arrogant with your obvious sentences... I don't need your arrogance to admire one of the greatest, and I need no evidence to appreciate what he's done. I know his resume as well as you if not better. And he will remain in tennis history for sure. I was just hoping the icing on the giant cake of Agassi, no more than that, so don't throw me your "He doesn't need this or that", I know he doesn't "need" anything, thanks... ;)

foul_dwimmerlaik
02-06-2005, 08:23 AM
Oh please. Is it not arrogant to suggest that the man who won 8 slams should retire because he doesn't win as much as you'd like to anymore? Talk about arrogance. Icing on the cake? You might yet get it. Then again, you might not. Tough love.

Jackie
02-06-2005, 10:08 AM
Andre still enjoys playing tennis. Why should he retire? Who gives a shit if he never wins another tournament?

TheMightyFed
02-07-2005, 10:31 PM
No, he'll stop after getting another DC for the US !!! :worship: ;)

Gigan
02-07-2005, 11:02 PM
...Andre wants to play, so let him play as long as he wants it. There'll never be anything in his life that he does better then play tennis....

Nice...very nice,
that is Russian(?) heart speaking... i like it! :wavey:

vogus
02-08-2005, 01:41 AM
No, he'll stop after getting another DC for the US !!! :worship: ;)

i seriously doubt that the Davis Cup is Andre's make or break priority - you are really grabbing at straws with that one, but suit yourself.

Gandalf
02-08-2005, 07:58 AM
I think he's going to retire at the end of this year, or after AO 2006, and that is why he's playing Davis Cup again-he wants to have one last shot at it.

Of course, if he wins a Slam this year, maybe he will change his mind.

TheMightyFed
02-08-2005, 08:12 AM
you are really grabbing at straws with that one, but suit yourself.
Again, this guy doesn't need any extra title to be part of the game's history, but I would just enjoy a good run in front of a big audience, with the Duck, last match of the season, as a farewell party...

AgassiFan
02-08-2005, 07:17 PM
Back in 2002, when Andre was coming off an injury that forced him to skip AO, then failed to make the Semis at Rolan Garros and embarassed himself at Wimbledon, people again began seriously talking about 2002 USO being the end of the road for both Pete and Andre. I personally thought that Andre was nowhere close to being done, SKILL-wise, and would be able to play at least another 3 full years (2003-2005) at a high level - provided he avoids injuries, of course.

He's been playing at a high level since then, but unfortunately he failed to stay healthy:

"Agassi has frequently said that if he is still pushing the best players to play their best, he would continue to play and not retire – given good health. But it's obvious now that his hip will never fully recover if he keeps playing, so it's just a matter of time before it fully gives out. He's hoping that his ship will respond during key weeks this year and give him a few more shots at glory."

In light of the chronically-ailing hip, I think he is lucky to be making QF and SF. True, if Federer twists his ankle or something, Andre has a real shot at winning another slam.

But will his hip heal? If one could positively answer that question, then Andre might just as well play in 2006 as well. If not, then he's facing some long-ass odds, Federer or not. You can't be old AND hurt in this sport, especially.

alfajeffster
02-08-2005, 07:30 PM

Most people are either too young to remember, or just plain forget the first 8 years of Andre's career. It was punctuated by lots of commercial flash, long hair, a few nice wins here and there, but most of all, HUGE nosedives in not just his effort and fitness level, but his ranking and consistency. His body wasn't put through the same consistent grind that Sampras, Courier, Chang and everyone else around him experienced (and where are they all now?), so at 34 he very well may have a year or so left to play at a top level. I don't know about you, but if I was in that position, I wouldn't give a rip about when anyone things I should retire, as long as I'm enjoying playing and able to compete- both of which it appears he still has going for him. If he didn't have to play Federer in Australia (can you name one other player who was looking forward to that prospect?), we might not be having this conversation at all.

Experimentee
02-09-2005, 01:59 PM
People probably thought he should retire and that he would never win a Slam again when he was out of the top 100 and losing in challengers. Now he is top 10 they still think he should retire. Andre should retire whenever he feels ready. He has enough money and has won enough so he wouldnt be still out here if he wasnt enjoying himself.

sigmagirl91
02-09-2005, 02:00 PM
People probably thought he should retire and that he would never win a Slam again when he was out of the top 100 and losing in challengers. Now he is top 10 they still think he should retire. Andre should retire whenever he feels ready. He has enough money and has won enough so he wouldnt be still out here if he wasnt enjoying himself.

I couldn't agree more.

TheMightyFed
02-09-2005, 02:39 PM
Initially, the question was wether Agassi didn't miss an opportunity to leave on top a few years or months ago, as today some players seem to be installed for a while on top of the rankings. Nobody, except some stupid journalists, ask him to leave, for whatever reason. Even if it was just to play 2 or 3 tournaments a year he would be mostly welcome.
Maybe he will gon on five years as it has been suggested, that would be great. Just thinking that the guys around back in 1986 when he started are belly tennis teachers or coaches, and that he could well be the father of Young who has played in San Jose, make you realise the performance of the guy.
And he's been almost always on top !! Pete, a monster of consistency throughout the years, was not yet pro when Agassi started, and wasn't playing anymore when Agassi got his 4th AO in 2003 ! Just amazing ! So I'm not the one suggesting he should stop...
IMO, the come back to DC could be his last great achievement. :worship: :worship: