Lleyton's friends on tour ? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Lleyton's friends on tour ?

Red1989
02-04-2005, 02:47 AM
I'm sorry . I'm new to this forum and I don't know if this question has been asked before . But I really want to know , who are Lleyton's friends on ATP Tour and WTA Tour ? :confused: Anyone knows ?
Sorry for my English ...

Lisbeth
02-04-2005, 02:58 AM
Hi Red1989! Welcome!

Lleyton is friends with all the Australian players, especially Scott Draper, and he stays with Mark Philippoussis in the US sometimes. We also know he is friends with Tim Henman.

Over Christmas he practised with Joachim Johannsen, but of course that's probably mostly because he goes out with Lleyton's sister and was in Adelaide! They do see to get on well from their comments.

He seems to practice with Roger Federer quite often (has for years, since before Roger was #1) so although we don't know if they "hang out", we assume they get on well ;)

As for other clues ... Marat Safin said last week that he got on well with Lleyton. Lleyton has said a couple of years ago that he doesn't really know Roddick and some of the other Americans, mostly because they stick together.

I wouldn't have thought he had too many friends on the WTA since they only overlap for a few tournaments a year, but he is childhood friends with Alicia Molik.

That's all I know! Hope it helps :)

Action Jackson
02-04-2005, 03:05 AM
Gaston Gaudio thinks Hewitt is a good guy and supported him when he had his problems with the ATP. Translated the comments were he is serious on the court, but away from the court he was a cool guy in reference to Hewitt.

Murkofan
02-04-2005, 03:06 AM
He used to be friends with Kim, but probably not so much anymore :p

Lisbeth
02-04-2005, 03:11 AM
Gaston Gaudio thinks Hewitt is a good guy and supported him when he had his problems with the ATP. Translated the comments were he is serious on the court, but away from the court he was a cool guy in reference to Hewitt.

Thanks for telling us that! I think it's actually a fairly common attitude players have to Lleyton ;) Gaston seems like a very nice, normal kind of guy.

Which reminds me, Todd Woodbridge claims that Lleyton is "actually shy" off court and that it took him a while to get to know Lleyton because Ll was in awe of the Woodies :o

jusjctin
02-04-2005, 07:29 AM
I'm sorry . I'm new to this forum and I don't know if this question has been asked before . But I really want to know , who are Lleyton's friends on ATP Tour and WTA Tour ? :confused: Anyone knows ?
Sorry for my English ...
Your english was perfect to me. Better than mine and that's the only language I speak!

dagmar7
02-04-2005, 12:51 PM
Your English is great Red1989.

I agree with what was said. He and Tim Henman play golf together, even though - according to Lleyton - Tim is a much better golfer.:)

I think the core of the New Balls, not counting Andy who came a long a bit later, all seem to get along okay and have respect for each other - Federer, Ferrero, Safin and, of course, Lleyton Hewitt. They had some great matches before Federer pulled away and JCF started going through his slump, but maybe these times will return again.

Okay, I'm off topic now.

thelma
02-04-2005, 01:53 PM
Hi Red! :wavey:

Welcome!

Sjeng Schalken also said the Lleyton is a good friend, after lost to him in a long five setter at Wimbledon, a couples of years ago.

NOMAD
02-04-2005, 02:41 PM
Hi Red1989 :wavey: , your english seems to be better than me,so don't be soory abot it. ;)

Thanks everyone for the info about Lley's friends :worship: :angel:

Goonergal
02-04-2005, 03:31 PM
He is/was on good terms with the Belgian boys, Malisse and Rochus.

raeesa301
02-04-2005, 04:11 PM
He's also close to Rafter and all the other retired Aussies! Agassi also seems to be on good terms with him judging the way he defended him at the Aus Open!

jule
02-04-2005, 08:11 PM
hi red! :wavey:

btw: i guess lleyton isn't good friends with chela :p

Red1989
02-05-2005, 01:04 AM
Well , thanks for all your answers !

Yasmine
02-05-2005, 11:35 AM
He used to be friends with Kim, but probably not so much anymore :p
Marly Always as funny :D ;)

Yasmine
02-05-2005, 11:36 AM
btw: i guess lleyton isn't good friends with chela :p
Or J. Blake :rolleyes:
But sorry back to the subject, welcome here red :wavey: And Lleyton seems to get on well with quite a few players :angel:

Socket
02-05-2005, 01:43 PM
Actually, J. Blake has said that he and Lleyton have practiced together.

jasmine(usa)
02-05-2005, 01:56 PM
If Lleyts has so many friends then why do they try to make him seem like he's so unliked in the locker room? At least I had that impression from the commentators on ESPN.

Yasmine
02-05-2005, 02:33 PM
If Lleyts has so many friends then why do they try to make him seem like he's so unliked in the locker room? At least I had that impression from the commentators on ESPN.
No your impression is the one we all have... stupid newspapers!
:wavey: Jasmine! good to see someone else with the same name as me ;) (mine is in the flower in arabic:p)

Socket
02-05-2005, 02:59 PM
Controversy sells, and once commentators lock in on a "controversy," they're too lazy to let it go.

Murkofan
02-05-2005, 03:49 PM
ESPN is just retarded :p

Red1989
02-06-2005, 03:08 AM
I heard that Lleyton played double with Max Mirnyi , is that true ?

Socket
02-06-2005, 03:26 AM
I heard that Lleyton played double with Max Mirnyi , is that true ?
Yes, and they won the 2000 US Open doubles title.

FanOfHewitt
02-06-2005, 12:14 PM
Just on James Blake, I remember a couple of years ago, during the Hopman Cup (just before the Aussie Open) they were saying that James lost his luggage and that Lleyton let him borrow his clothes so that he could play.

I assumed off that that they were pretty good buddies, and then this year you see Blake mocking Hewitt, giving him a cold handshake after the match and saying in the post-match press conference that they are nothing more than acquaintances.

I don't know what to think.

duck
02-06-2005, 12:25 PM
I assumed off that that they were pretty good buddies, and then this year you see Blake mocking Hewitt, giving him a cold handshake after the match and saying in the post-match press conference that they are nothing more than acquaintances.

I don't know what to think.

I imagine what James can't forgive is not USO 2001 (where Ll was wholly in the wrong, imo, and I'm not bothering to defend him on it) and more so the fact that he cannot beat him even though Ll always plays badly against him. He sought to exploit this psychological advantage in an extremely crude fashion (the vicht) and lost again. I suspect they were never on more than polite terms although he was happy to exploit Ll's genuine repentance to establish his own public virtue. Just my take on it.

_pyromatic
02-13-2005, 04:21 PM

I get the feeling ESPN really doesn't like Hewitt. Whenever they talk about him they act like he's Satan and everyone hates him. But in the player interviews, there's no one's said they hate him and most think Lleyton's a cool guy.

It's just espn being crazy and zenophobic again :rolleyes:

Socket
02-13-2005, 08:47 PM
I think that Blake might just be fed up with losing to Lleyton in big matches and on television.

If you recall when they played the second time at the US Open, their handshake at the net was quite friendly, and Blake apologized to Lleyton for the behavior of a fan who had yelled a derogatory comment at Lleyton during the match. IIRC, Blake later said that he told Lleyton that the fan's comment (that Lleyton was racist) did not reflect his own views.

Now, however, Blake seems to be frustrated by losing to Lleyton in slams, and I think that just boiled over this year with the whole "vicht" thing and the comments he made later.

jusjctin
02-13-2005, 10:45 PM
Back 1998 he actually also played mixed doubles with Serena Williams

annettemarie
02-14-2005, 07:09 PM
i also think espn is rather unfair with their comments of lletyon hewitt

Nimomunz
02-15-2005, 03:01 AM
Back 1998 he actually also played mixed doubles with Serena Williams
Seriously????????????? :eek:

Lisbeth
02-15-2005, 03:42 AM
Yeah, they definitely played at least one slam - maybe the Australian Open? I think it was her first year on tour :) He had long hair back then and I remember someone asking Serena if she was going to make him bead it :lol: Can't remember how they did.

jusjctin
02-15-2005, 06:22 AM
Yeah, number1kim, you're right it was the Australian Open.

Angele
02-15-2005, 11:16 AM
Here they are :)

http://www.archive.newspix.com.au/photolib/images2/lores/11517397.jpg

http://www.archive.newspix.com.au/photolib/images2/lores/11517393.jpg

Jackie
02-15-2005, 12:06 PM
They look so young. Thanks for the pics

Nimomunz
02-15-2005, 12:14 PM
Aww bless those pics are so so so cute!! :angel:

Yasmine
02-16-2005, 12:21 PM
OMG!!!! Serena and Lleyton playing mixed doubles???

Goonergal
02-16-2005, 12:42 PM
Those pics of Lleyton & Deux alaways make me laugh :p

Lisbeth
04-24-2005, 08:18 AM
Bumped for Cindy :)

Hewitt_Rules
04-24-2005, 08:49 AM
James Blake just needs to STFU already about the 2001 US Open, it wasn't even racist what Lleyton done, any time you do something that might offend a black person it's called racism. Roddick doesn't hang out with Hewitt because he's sick of being schooled by him so he sticks with his American frat buddies. Serena and Lleyton danced together at the 2002 Wimbledon party and he stepped on her toes. And JC Ferrero was never even in the same league as Hewitt, Federer and Safin so to say he has trailed off is giving him far too much credit, he was never even in the race in the first place.

cindygermanier
04-24-2005, 11:41 AM
thanks

:D who are his/her friends apart from tennis????

star
04-24-2005, 02:37 PM
Andrew McLeod and Hayden ..... uh... forget his last name. also Hayden's brother. He has other friends from his childhood, but I don't know their names.

kim-fan
04-24-2005, 09:05 PM
Eckermann, Hayden Eckermann
he's cute :)

Socket
04-24-2005, 09:20 PM
Hayden's brother's name is Jaryd, I believe. Also, another of Lleyton's friends is the son of his first coach, although the name escape me at the moment.

PaulieM
04-24-2005, 09:31 PM
James Blake just needs to STFU already about the 2001 US Open, it wasn't even racist what Lleyton done, any time you do something that might offend a black person it's called racism. Roddick doesn't hang out with Hewitt because he's sick of being schooled by him so he sticks with his American frat buddies. Serena and Lleyton danced together at the 2002 Wimbledon party and he stepped on her toes. And JC Ferrero was never even in the same league as Hewitt, Federer and Safin so to say he has trailed off is giving him far too much credit, he was never even in the race in the first place.
i like lleyton, but i what he said at the uso 2001 was completely inappropriate. i can understand why him and james don't get a long. in general though lleyton's not as bad a people like to make him out to be, and i highly doubt he's a racist. and as for james, he's never the one to talk about the incident either, when people ask him about it he never says anything except that lleyton is a nice guy and he respects him, and it's in the past. so i think you're being a bit harsh on james. :shrug:
just a question: when is lleyton playing next?

thelma
04-25-2005, 12:43 AM

He's not playing because the injury/surgery.
He will play again in May! :D

PaulieM
04-25-2005, 01:02 AM
i knew he was injured, i was just wondering when he's going to be back. thanks. i hope he comes back strong :D i got your rep on wta world :hug:

sprinterluck
04-25-2005, 02:40 AM
i knew he was injured, i was just wondering when he's going to be back. thanks. i hope he comes back strong :D i got your rep on wta world :hug:

He'll be back at the Masters Series Hamburg May 9.

sprinterluck
04-25-2005, 02:51 AM
i like lleyton, but i what he said at the uso 2001 was completely inappropriate. i can understand why him and james don't get a long. in general though lleyton's not as bad a people like to make him out to be, and i highly doubt he's a racist. and as for james, he's never the one to talk about the incident either, when people ask him about it he never says anything except that lleyton is a nice guy and he respects him, and it's in the past. so i think you're being a bit harsh on james. :shrug:

I agree it was inappropriate for Lleyton to say those things.
I don't know whether he's racist or not and I don't really care to label him based on that one infamous comment.
I like him as a tennis player, but all I know is that it was disappointing to hear this come out of his mouth:

"Look at him," Hewitt said, gesturing at the linesman. "And look at him," pointing at Blake. "You tell me what the similarity is.

James Blake accepted Lleyton's apology and gave him the benefit of the doubt :shrug: but it's obvious those two have bad blood.

That being said I can't wait to see Lleyton on court again May 9! :banana: Of course he'll try to win the French, but IMO Lleyton is really hoping to peak for Wimbledon and the US Open. I think those are his real big goals for the year. I'd love to see a Nadal-Hewitt final at the French Open with Lleyton winning of course (although I like Rafa too, but he's young and has many more years ahead of him to win the French Open).

thelma
04-25-2005, 02:57 AM
He'll be back at the Masters Series Hamburg May 9.
yay :banana:

Here the article:

http://www.theage.com.au/news/Tennis/Hewitts-clay-test/2005/04/23/1114152367270.html?oneclick=true

PaulieM
04-25-2005, 02:59 AM
i hope lleyton does well at the french too. of course i'm rooting for roger above anyone else but i definitely hope lleyton does well. :D

star
04-25-2005, 03:08 AM
I would just love to see Lleyton defeat Roger for once! Regardless of how he does for the rest of the tournament. :lol: :lol:

PaulieM
04-25-2005, 03:10 AM
noooo. although i quite enjoy watching lleyton beat roddick! :D

Lisbeth
04-25-2005, 03:11 AM
Thanks Thelma :)

I wouldn't have bumped this thread if I'd remembered it contained one of the many Blake arguments :o

I will say this ... as I've said before, even though it had several possible meanings, I thought it was a seriously dumb thing to say. On the other hand, I also think calling an umpire a "spastic" was equally insensitive and probably even more dumb since that's clearly offensive in any language and not even open to interpretation ;) .

HOWEVER, having watched Lleyton spend literally hours hitting to mentally and physically challenged people I know for fact that he does not think people with cerebral palsy are inferior - if anything he is far more sensitive to them than most able-bodied people are. The moral? Sometimes, like many players and indeed many people, Lleyton says something dumb in the heat of the moment. It is no indication of what kind of person he is off the court :)

Back to the friends question ... has anyone mentioned in this thread that one of his best mates off the tour is Adelaide Crows (AFL) player Andy McLeod? (Andy is an indigenous Aussie for those who don't know, and a great ambassador for his people in the NT).

thelma
04-25-2005, 03:11 AM
I would just love to see Lleyton defeat Roger for once! Regardless of how he does for the rest of the tournament. :lol: :lol:

me too :lol:

Sorry Paulie :hug:

star
04-25-2005, 03:12 AM
noooo. although i quite enjoy watching lleyton beat roddick! :D

I'm even on that. I enjoy seeing either of them win. :)

Lisbeth
04-25-2005, 03:14 AM
Agree it would be great to see Lleyton beat Roger :lol: Also agree Nadal is a great player with a fun attitude - reminds me a lot of Lleyton despite his (Rafa's) protests to the contrary :lol: I love both their attitude of play as hard as you possibly can, but leave it all on the court with a warm handshake.

thelma
04-25-2005, 03:17 AM
Agree it would be great to see Lleyton beat Roger :lol: Also agree Nadal is a great player with a fun attitude - reminds me a lot of Lleyton despite his (Rafa's) protests to the contrary :lol: I love both their attitude of play as hard as you possibly can, but leave it all on the court with a warm handshake.

:lol: It's true ;)

star
04-25-2005, 03:17 AM
Oh yeah. Rafa is a screamer and pumps his fist and yells everybit as much as Lleyton used to do.

It's going to be funny to see his fans suddenly shut up about Lleyton now. :lol:

Lisbeth
04-25-2005, 03:19 AM
Oh yeah :lol: In fact there's already at least one prominent Nadal fan who has come round on LLeyton ... and is big enough to admit it ;)

Lisbeth
04-25-2005, 03:21 AM
I like watching LLeyton beat Andy because of the way he does it, not because I particularly enjoy watching Andy lose ;) I love the way an Andy can come charging confidentally out with an "unbeatable" serve but be worn down and made to doubt himself by Lleyton's hard-nosed patience and clever tactics. I think the AO semi was one of Lleyton's best ever matches for just that reason :)

PaulieM
04-25-2005, 03:23 AM
i liked the match against andy in houston last year. very few errors from lleyton, especially at the end :yeah:

star
04-25-2005, 03:28 AM
I like watching LLeyton beat Andy because of the way he does it, not because I particularly enjoy watching Andy lose ;) I love the way an Andy can come charging confidentally out with an "unbeatable" serve but be worn down and made to doubt himself by Lleyton's hard-nosed patience and clever tactics. I think the AO semi was one of Lleyton's best ever matches for just that reason :)

I agree that I love to watch Lleyton play a tactical game against Andy. He gets right into Andy's head.

I don't really enjoy seeing Andy be beaten mentally on the court, but I like watching Lleyton's game while he is doing it. :)

Socket
04-25-2005, 03:48 PM
I agree it was inappropriate for Lleyton to say those things.
I don't know whether he's racist or not and I don't really care to label him based on that one infamous comment.
I like him as a tennis player, but all I know is that it was disappointing to hear this come out of his mouth:

"Look at him," Hewitt said, gesturing at the linesman. "And look at him," pointing at Blake. "You tell me what the similarity is.

James Blake accepted Lleyton's apology and gave him the benefit of the doubt :shrug: but it's obvious those two have bad blood.

That being said I can't wait to see Lleyton on court again May 9! :banana: Of course he'll try to win the French, but IMO Lleyton is really hoping to peak for Wimbledon and the US Open. I think those are his real big goals for the year. I'd love to see a Nadal-Hewitt final at the French Open with Lleyton winning of course (although I like Rafa too, but he's young and has many more years ahead of him to win the French Open).
Actually, the reports that Lleyton pointed at Blake were not correct. Both the ATP and the ITP reviewed the tapes, and concluded that Lleyton never pointed at Blake, but was referering only to the linesman. When you understand THAT, you understand that Lleyton was, in fact, referring to the fact that the same linesman had called him for foot faults at both ends of the court (whcih was what he was inarticulately trying to say). That's why Blake wasn't upset about what happened, because he knew that Lleyton wasn't saying anything racist.

I'm glad that Lleyton never backed on this, and -- simply for the sake of political correctness -- apologized for something he never said or did. However,the INCORRECT version of events still persists in legend.

sprinterluck
04-25-2005, 05:02 PM
Actually, the reports that Lleyton pointed at Blake were not correct. Both the ATP and the ITP reviewed the tapes, and concluded that Lleyton never pointed at Blake, but was referering only to the linesman. When you understand THAT, you understand that Lleyton was, in fact, referring to the fact that the same linesman had called him for foot faults at both ends of the court (whcih was what he was inarticulately trying to say). That's why Blake wasn't upset about what happened, because he knew that Lleyton wasn't saying anything racist.

I'm glad that Lleyton never backed on this, and -- simply for the sake of political correctness -- apologized for something he never said or did. However,the INCORRECT version of events still persists in legend.

I understand that was Lleyton's excuse/reason for saying what he said about that linesman. It's still inappropriate though because he was obviously referring to the linesman and James Blake implying that the similarity between the linesman and James Blake is the reason Lleyton received those calls. Even if he didn't point directly at James Blake he was still implying a similarity between the linesman and JB. Now what other similarity would there be besides the color of their skin?

Actually James Blake WAS upset and bothered about what happened, but decided to just let the controversy die down. JB never indicated that he was convinced that Lleyton didn't mean it in a racist way. He said he "hoped" that it wasn't a derogatory comment:

"He said there was a similarity between the line judge and myself," said Blake. "My reaction was to try to win the match.

"It did bother me a little bit but I figured that it was in the heat of the moment when he's fighting out there and not thinking about being politically correct."

"I hope he didn't mean anything derogatory by it but I can't speak for him. I hope he didn't mean it in a racist way.

"If he has racial problems, he has to be the one to deal with that.

"I'll try to give him the benefit of the doubt. He has this me against the world attitude that makes him play better.

"That's how he gets pumped up. I tried not to let it mar the match.

"I don't like to slam other players. I want to put it in the past and move on."

Socket
04-26-2005, 12:04 AM
I understand that was Lleyton's excuse/reason for saying what he said about that linesman. It's still inappropriate though because he was obviously referring to the linesman and James Blake implying that the similarity between the linesman and James Blake is the reason Lleyton received those calls. Even if he didn't point directly at James Blake he was still implying a similarity between the linesman and JB. Now what other similarity would there be besides the color of their skin?

Actually James Blake WAS upset and bothered about what happened, but decided to just let the controversy die down. JB never indicated that he was convinced that Lleyton didn't mean it in a racist way. He said he "hoped" that it wasn't a derogatory comment:

"He said there was a similarity between the line judge and myself," said Blake. "My reaction was to try to win the match.

"It did bother me a little bit but I figured that it was in the heat of the moment when he's fighting out there and not thinking about being politically correct."

"I hope he didn't mean anything derogatory by it but I can't speak for him. I hope he didn't mean it in a racist way.

"If he has racial problems, he has to be the one to deal with that.

"I'll try to give him the benefit of the doubt. He has this me against the world attitude that makes him play better.

"That's how he gets pumped up. I tried not to let it mar the match.

"I don't like to slam other players. I want to put it in the past and move on."
This is not Lleyton's "excuse"; it's what the facts are, and what the ATP and ITF agree are the facts. It might be "obvious" to you what he was implying, but that's contradicted by these facts. And, BTW, Blake's quote was BEFORE the tapes were reviewed, and the ATP and ITF agreed that Lleyton was NOT pointing at James, but at where the linesman had been sitting. The similiarity was that he was getting called for faults at both ends of the court by the same linesman, and only by that linesman. You can make a mountain out of this molehill if you want, but that doesn't change the facts.

I have nothing more to say on this subject. It's like arguing with people who believe in alien abduction; they just believe what they want, no matter what the evidence to the contrary is.

sprinterluck
04-26-2005, 02:26 AM
I have to agree with this article. Lleyton's excuse doesn't make much sense.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

NO CENSURE FOR COMMENT

Foot fault: Blake and ITF bail out Hewitt

By Matthew Cronin
tennisreporters.net

FLUSHING MEADOWS, N.Y., SEPT. 2 –
Luck was definitely on the side of Lleyton Hewitt as the ITF and the ultimate gentleman, James Blake, bailed him out of the 2001 U.S. Open's biggest controversery Saturday.

This is the same Blake who was his opponent when Hewitt spewed what could have been interpreted as racially tinged venom at linesman, African American Marion Johnson, on Friday.

After 24 hours of accusations, hand-wringing, video-tape watching, interviewing and serious debate, Hewitt was let off the hook by the ITF, which said it could find no violation of the Grand Slams Code of Conduct rules. Referee Brian Early and Grand Slam supervisor Stefan Fransson essentially said that Hewitt's statement were too ambiguous to rule against him, that there is no way to tell whether they were racially tinged or not.

Because Blake was willing to kiss and make up, the ITF was not going to slap
Lleyton's hand, which tennisreporters.net will, but not before a recount of the incident.

In the third set of his five set victory over Blake after he received what he
considered to be two bad foot-fault calls against him by Johnson,
Lleyton yelled to umpire Andres Egli of Switzerland "Look at him, mate. Look
at him. You tell me what the similarity is. … You put him off the court, get
him off the court," said Hewitt.

A little while after the match in the locker room before he considered the
potential impact of the incident on his career, Blake told tennisreporters.net,
"It did bother me a little bit. But I figured that it was in the heat of the moment
when he's fighting out there and not thinking about being politically
correct. I hope he didn't mean anything derogatory by it. But I can't speak
for him. I hope he didn't mean it in a racist way. If he has racial problems,
he has to be the one to deal with that. I'll try to give him the benefit of
the doubt. He has this me against the world attitude that makes him play
better. That's how he gets pumped up. I tried not to let it mar the match I
don't like to slam other players. I want to put it in the past and move on."

On Friday, Hewitt denied making racial comments. "There was nothing said out
there racial at all," said the Australian. "I didn't say it in that way. I went out there and got two foot-faults on one end. I asked if the guy could be moved. The umpire said 'Yeah, we could move him'. They moved him. You can all think what you want. At the end of the day, I wasn't making a racial comment. It was just between me and the umpire. It's a conversation between two people out there when we're in the heat of a tennis match."

Blake's parents, Thomas and Betty, said that the comment couldn't have been
interpreted any other way.

"It's hard to interpret it otherwise," said Thomas, who is African American. "It just isn't right. You have to question a person and his motives when he says something like that."
James, 21, said that while he hasn't been a consistent victim of racism
throughout his career, the Hewitt incident wasn't the first time his skin
color was made an issue. "I've heard it some from parents and juniors when
they wouldn't approve that I beat their son but I didn't voice any opinions
because I wasn't supposed to hear it," Blake said. "I'm very lucky not to
have gone through so many racial problems like (former African American
tennis champion) Arthur Ashe did."

Thomas Blake said that while his son tries to be a gentleman and rise above
such incidents, his family has been a victim of racism in Fairfield,
Connecticut, where they live. "We've been dealing with it," said Thomas, who
also has a son named Thomas who is a pro tennis player. "It's part of my kids'
socialization. It's too bad that some people see the world in black and
white. It's unfortunate. We don't even have to talk about it. They know what
society is like."

Before the ruling came down on Saturday, Lleyton's girlfriend, Kim Clijsters,
defended her man.

"We've got friends that have a different color as well," she said. "We're not
racists at all. … Lleyton and I like to get involved in the match and get
motivated. Those are things that pump me up and a lot of players. You see a
lot of players that say stuff to the umpire to get themselves pumped up.
… Lleyton wasn't upset at all [this morning] because he didn't mean it
badly. He was getting angry because he wanted to get the umpire removed. I
think he apologized if anyone understood it differently."

Hewitt decided on Saturday to apologize to Blake in person. While the
contents of the conversation are unknown, it's suffice to say that he
contrite enough to impress Blake, who said that Hewitt came clean with him.

"I didn't really know him going into the match," Blake said. "Sometimes its
can actually make a relationship better to go through some sort of
drama. … He seemed very sincere to me. … I'm going to give him the benefit of
the doubt."

To many observers, the "similarity" Hewitt was discussing appeared to be
Lleyton saying that because Johnson was black he was favoring Blake, who is
half black, half white. Early said that what Hewitt claimed on Saturday was
that he thought the chair didn't understand that it was the same person
making the call. Somehow, Hewitt believes, Egli confused Johnson with another
linesperson, so it had to be pointed out to this experienced chair (who
Hewitt called a "Spaz" at Roland Garros this year) that another human being
was calling the baseline on the other side of the court.

Huh?

As someone asked Brian Early, why would Lleyton use use the "similarity "
language rather than just state something more up his alley, which usually
goes something like, "That f---er has called me for two foot faults. Get him
the f--- off the court."

Early said the "similarity" language was a "little bit" unusual. "That's why
were here," Early said. "If it were easy, then it would not have been
misconstrued. Whether it's misconstrued or not, I can't tell you. I only can
say that I would have to draw a conclusion from what I see and what I hear
was a definitely a racist remark, and I can't do that from what I have. I
can't say the court of public opinion won't do that. I can't say that I'm a
mind reader. It's very, very tough to prove what he did, that's why we made
the decision that we did. "

That means no fine for Lleyton but since we are in the court of semi-public
opinion here (the tennis world is far too incestuous to call ourselves pure
members of the public), we offer the following comments.

1. Lleyton is paranoid, angry young man who's "It's me against the World" attitude is growing very tiresome. He is abusive, evasive and often rude. Whether or not he was engaging in racial profiling is hard to say, but it is easy to opine that he offended a lot of people on Friday

Johnson, Egli, the Blake family, and every fan who watched him perform his circus-like Rocky Balboa fist-pumping routine after he won the fourth set largely due to the fact that Blake was overcome with cramps and had puked into a garbage can. Unquestionably, Hewitt is in better shape than Blake and is a better player. But why celebrate so wildly when you know your opponent is hurting? Sure, step on your opponent, but don't stick it into his face.

2. Hewitt's explanation makes very little sense to tennisreporters.net. Maybe he was so pissed off that he spoke poorly and confusingly. Then maybe he shouldn't speak at all when he's pissed off if he's going to cause major racial incidents. Maybe he should stop getting pissed off so much and looking like one of some dark god's evil minions with his beet-red face, pit bull's snarl and Mike Tyson eyes.

3. Blake is an intelligent guy with a developing game who doesn't want his career defined by this one incident, which is one of the reasons he let Lleyton off the hook. He is also a positivist who tries to think the best of people. That's a great attitude and will win him tons of friends and accolades. But he needs to get in much better shape and add more spice to his game if he's going to stick on the tour.

4. Umpires in general need to be stricter with the players

especially with the men. The tour doesn't need tons of guys being booted from matches for incidents of abuse (it cheats fans), but more point penalties are in order.

Lisbeth
04-26-2005, 08:56 AM
Lleyton Hewitt (centre) and entourage (from left), sister Jaslyn and her boyfriend Joachim Johansson, coach Roger Rasheed, new flame Bec Cartwright, father Glynn and mother Cherilyn.
Illustration: Andrew Joyner

From around the time of AO :lol: Does anyone have a piccy of Hayden handy?

Lisbeth
04-26-2005, 09:01 AM
Here's one (not a great one ;) )

NOMAD
04-26-2005, 03:15 PM
ok Jane, here's some I found :)

i think this is from the match against Chela,but I can't find the original pic.
Maybe there's someone who can help us to find. :angel:
http://img220.echo.cx/img220/60/hewittcamp6ar.gif

and the other two pics from different matches at AO :)
http://tinyurl.com/3pdbh

http://tinyurl.com/8bxsh

kim-fan
04-26-2005, 04:02 PM
aww, hayden and kim. they'd make a cute couple :)

Socket
04-26-2005, 04:06 PM
Separated at birth: Hayden Eckermann and Ben Affleck.

roberta
04-26-2005, 08:22 PM
:rolleyes: hayden and ben affleck!!!!!!.... :lol: :haha: ARE YOU CRAZY???!!! no way!!

Socket
04-26-2005, 09:41 PM
:rolleyes: hayden and ben affleck!!!!!!.... :lol: :haha: ARE YOU CRAZY???!!! no way!!
No, I'm not. Yes, way! Look at the jawline and the long face!

Lisbeth
04-27-2005, 12:36 AM
I can see it :) and a huge :hug: to Tara :)

roberta
04-27-2005, 08:10 PM
No, I'm not. Yes, way! Look at the jawline and the long face!

maybe a little bit... :rolleyes: