State of the Duck Address [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

State of the Duck Address

Tennis Fool
02-03-2005, 05:23 AM
So, how has your mood changed on Andy since the end of the 2005 AO?

Stats:

Name: Andy Roddick
YTD: 5-1
Career Singles titles: 15
2004 W/L: 72-18
2003 W/L: 74-19

Bes Slam Results:
AO: SF, 2005, 2003
FO: 3rd, 2001
W: F, 2004
USO: Won, 2003

tennischick
02-03-2005, 05:24 AM
lovely bachhanalist headline. you've outdone yourself. :p

jmp
02-03-2005, 05:29 AM
Another good call, tennischick! :lol: Tennis Fool! :devil: again!

tennischick
02-03-2005, 05:34 AM
career singles titles -- 15. not bad for a serve and a forehand. :p

http://movie-top.com/funmovies/fun_6.jpg

Tennis Fool
02-03-2005, 05:40 AM
Sorry, I should've said "Wait for the poll"....

tennischick
02-03-2005, 05:44 AM
:lol: "Other". see explanation above :wavey:

Leena
02-03-2005, 06:05 AM
Yawn.

Prizeidiot
02-03-2005, 07:20 AM
Umm.... I couldn't be bothered paying attention to the poll options. I'll just say I like him, but he's not really a favourite, and if he loses, I don't mind too much unless it's to a guy I hate. And that's the way it's always been with Andy

Ferrero Forever
02-03-2005, 09:19 AM
I don't like him, but i don't dislike him. I just don't really care too much about him. It depends on who he's playing if i will cheer for him or not.

Billy Moonshine
02-03-2005, 06:58 PM
I chose other. I like Andy. He's one of my favourites. The only players I would cheer against him are Nalby, Guga, Gaudio, Safin, Moya and Youzny. i would chher very loudly for him against Agassi, federer or Hewitt. I hope he gives me lots of reasons to this year!

sierra91
02-03-2005, 09:26 PM
career singles titles -- 15. not bad for a serve and a forehand. :p

http://movie-top.com/funmovies/fun_6.jpg :haha: :haha:

magdanovich
02-04-2005, 01:13 AM
I've never liked Roddick - but ever since I learned of his fondness for playing Black Jack my opinion of him has slightly improved ...

tennisman.
02-04-2005, 01:25 AM
Andy is the man,and nothing can change that!

JonBcn
02-04-2005, 10:03 AM
My intense dislike of Andy has cooled; he's grown out of his annoying behaviour when first arrived on the circuit. I think he's a nice guy, but I dont really enjoy watching his style of tennis.

Foxy Smile
02-04-2005, 10:43 AM
Andy is the man,and nothing can change that!

Except for plastic surgery :)

Lalitha
02-04-2005, 01:05 PM
Yes, I don't dislike him that much I used to, but at the same time not started liking him completely.

missroddickfan
02-04-2005, 02:40 PM
ufffffff of course he's still my fav player!! i dont change my opinion on him only cos of a ranking position change!

Eclectic Goddess
02-04-2005, 06:55 PM
Other - I've always liked him, though he's never been my favorite player, and I still like him, though he's still not my favorite player.

Nacho
02-04-2005, 07:05 PM
My intense dislike of Andy has cooled; I'm pretty indifferent these days

blosson
02-04-2005, 09:24 PM
Hi DeeDee :wavey:

tennischick
02-05-2005, 02:15 AM
speaking of the state of the Duck...:o

Roddick looks to bounce back in San Jose

At 22, Andy Roddick is a little young for a fresh start, but that is what he is looking at right now, following his semifinal loss to Lleyton Hewitt in the Australian Open.

Roddick will bounce from the land down under to the South Bay next week for the SAP Open, the renamed men's stop on the ATP Tour, at HP Pavilion.

He is the tournament's defending champion, and in a conference call earlier this week he seemed eager to try for a repeat as the 2005 tour grind begins.

Focus, he said, should not be a problem, despite his four-set loss to Hewitt.

"I actually think getting back into tennis is kind of like therapy," he said. "Once I get to San Jose, I'll start focusing more on that tournament. If I start winning there, that will be my freshest memory in tennis. So hopefully, we can get there and get back on a good footing."

Roddick was speaking from his home in Austin, Texas, just hours after he had played with a number of his sport's big names in an exhibition that raised more than $500,000 to aid the Bush-Clinton fund for tsunami victims.

Roddick doesn't stop long anywhere these days as he tries to regain the top ranking in men's tennis, a position he held at the end of 2003. He was ranked second at the end of 2004, and is now No. 3, behind Roger Federer and Hewitt.

That would be plenty good enough for most people, but not for an ambitious young man who reveled in being at the summit.

He conceded that the loss to Hewitt, before a crowd that sometimes got to him, stung.

"Obviously, the opportunity was there (to win)," Roddick said. "I don't know how much I let it slip away. Unfortunately, I was playing a guy in form, and I didn't step up and take my chances the way I should have. I'm still disappointed."

But eager to get going again.

Last year, Roddick was loose and easy in San Jose, tossing out one-liners over a microphone from the sidelines as his coach, Brad Gilbert, played an exhibition match. Later in the week, his girlfriend, singer/actress Mandy Moore, attracted a lot of attention at courtside as she watched his matches.

A lot has changed since then. He and Moore have split and a few weeks ago, Roddick fired Gilbert, who helped guide him to the No. 1 ranking, a U.S. Open title and an .823 winning percentage. Roddick's new coach, Dean Goldfine, was an assistant on the U.S. Olympic and Davis Cup teams last year.

Roddick was not very expansive on why he decided on the coaching switch, and what Goldfine might mean to his game and his career.

"It's tough to say, because it hasn't been that long," Roddick said. "I love Dean as a person and I think his work ethic is contagious. When we train together, it's very organized, and we've been getting along great on a personal basis. Everything's positive right now."

Roddick already has proven he can be a team player, with the U.S. Davis Cup team, and he will be competing for his country again this year, perhaps in combination with good friend (and chief SAP Open rival) Andre Agassi, beginning March 4 against Croatia.

Still, it is as an individual that he will leave his mark in tennis. He knows that winning Grand Slams and somehow supplanting the mighty Federer at the top of the rankings is the surest way to do that.

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/chronicle/archive/2005/02/04/SPGT9B5I091.DTL