why not play in argentina [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

why not play in argentina

ugotlobbed
02-02-2005, 02:10 PM
david and guille are playing in marseilles instead of buenos aires...weird ..anyone know y?

TheMightyFed
02-02-2005, 02:43 PM
david and guille are playing in marseilles instead of buenos aires...weird ..anyone know y?
$$$$$$$$$ :devil:

Fergie
02-02-2005, 02:54 PM
Exactly ;)

Tenchî
02-02-2005, 04:26 PM
:devil: $$$$$ Also Ferrero! $$$$$ :devil:

:yeah: Moyà :worship:

Cervantes
02-02-2005, 05:51 PM
I'm glad they play the European indoor season, cause now I get to see them in Rotterdam :)

CooCooCachoo
02-02-2005, 05:52 PM
It's money obviously :p And preparation for the TMS events.

Cervantes
02-02-2005, 05:59 PM
From a broader perspective I think it really sucks they don't play in their home country. This might well be the only chance Argentinian fans have to see their heroes and then they play some other tournament on the other side of the world. Also I'm not sure what Coria thinks he's gonna achieve in Marseille and Rotterdam. Two first round losses? Better to win Buenos Aires again, gain some points and please the home fans. But that's just my opinion.

RPH
02-02-2005, 06:10 PM
David is better on indoor than clay :)

Coria wants to add a 1R loss to his name :o

alfonsojose
02-02-2005, 08:41 PM
Carla is demanding more $$$$$$$, so he has no choice :tape: and David is a geat indoors player :yeah:

Cervantes
02-02-2005, 09:00 PM
Carla is demanding more $$$$$$$, so he has no choice :tape:

:haha: :haha:

Chloe le Bopper
02-02-2005, 10:10 PM
Also I'm not sure what Coria thinks he's gonna achieve in Marseille and Rotterdam. Two first round losses? Better to win Buenos Aires again, gain some points and please the home fans. But that's just my opinion.

Your extremely informed, objective opinion! As we know, Coria has never won a match indoors. Ever. And certainly never a title.

Chloe le Bopper
02-02-2005, 10:14 PM
It's funny that some of the same people who bitch that Coria is unable to win on other surfaces (these people are clearly unable to read the activity pages on the ATP site, but that's another issue), bitch when he makes an effort to play on other surfaces. They would also bitch if he did play BA and won it again, because this would somehow confirm their opinion of him as a claycourter, unable to win anywhere else. Seriously, if my mind was this fucked up and obsessed with some athlete who doesn't know me from Adam, I would just stab myself in the eye with a fork immediately. There would be no other option after having reached such depths of pathetic-ness.

-ernie-
02-02-2005, 10:24 PM
Does this tourny have more points than Beunos Aires? Well anyways, I hope David does good! :D

star
02-02-2005, 11:10 PM
Coria was signed up to play, but I doubt he will play.

Leena
02-02-2005, 11:50 PM
It's funny that some of the same people who bitch that Coria is unable to win on other surfaces (these people are clearly unable to read the activity pages on the ATP site, but that's another issue), bitch when he makes an effort to play on other surfaces. They would also bitch if he did play BA and won it again, because this would somehow confirm their opinion of him as a claycourter, unable to win anywhere else. Seriously, if my mind was this fucked up and obsessed with some athlete who doesn't know me from Adam, I would just stab myself in the eye with a fork immediately. There would be no other option after having reached such depths of pathetic-ness.
Your 2 posts sound exactly like me.

Just replace "Coria" with "Roddick", and "other surfaces" with "clay". :p

willie
02-02-2005, 11:55 PM
they dont play becuase they prepare for the masters and becuase they will play here for davis cups just 3 weeks after the buenos aires atp.

Domino
02-03-2005, 11:19 PM
Maybe because:

http://www.gamebookers.com/cgi-bin/infoworld/show.cgi?art=050203162535.13emu370.xml&PageNum=0&Cat

Or it's strategic planning for the upcomming masters events, but it is an interesting thought if both knew beforehand, or were given a heads up from somebody.

Leena
02-03-2005, 11:28 PM
Coria is a Top 5 player that is above playing a lower tourney like Buenos Aires. He should be playing the tourney for more prize money. He's injured anyway.

Dave's game is probably better outside of clay. And he's a Top 10 player.

One only can improve their game by playing against the best competition. Unless you're Sharapova. Who needs to go away now.

TennisLurker
02-03-2005, 11:41 PM
please, moya, dont win buenos aires!

Leena
02-03-2005, 11:44 PM
:sad:

You know he's gonna win, though.

Carlos lives for these tournaments.

MAURO
02-03-2005, 11:45 PM

David is better in hard courts than clay
so i think is a good choice

Rogiman
02-03-2005, 11:47 PM

Do not worry, he won't win a thing until the end of the year, when he'll announce retirement.

Domino
02-03-2005, 11:53 PM
Coria is a Top 5 player that is above playing a lower tourney like Buenos Aires. He should be playing the tourney for more prize money. He's injured anyway.

And that must be why Coria has always played this tournament, winning it last year, making the final the previous year, and the quarters four years ago. True, he should be playing other tournaments, but he loves this court and town. I always saw him playing this tournament, then traveling to the indoor season, because he seemed to enjoy BA so much.

Oh well, good luck to him, wherever he decides to play.

John.Charles
02-04-2005, 05:38 AM
They don't wanna get kidnapped? :shrug:

BlackSilver
02-04-2005, 06:46 AM
they dont play becuase they prepare for the masters and becuase they will play here for davis cups just 3 weeks after the buenos aires atp.

Nalbandian will play doubles?

Cervantes
02-04-2005, 07:05 PM
Your extremely informed, objective opinion! As we know, Coria has never won a match indoors. Ever. And certainly never a title.

Lol, as you can see in my signature Coria is one of my favorite players, that's why I personally like it that he comes to Rotterdam so I can see him play. But I think it's better for him to play BA cause he's so much stronger on clay than he is indoors. Surely he won Basel two years ago, but I don't consider him a great indoor-player.

Realisticly he can do maybe two quarterfinals in Marseille and Rotterdam, gaining 105 points, while winning either Buenos Aires or the Brasil Open would already get him 175 points. I know Coria is trying to become #1 in the world and he knows he'll have to improve his hardcourt- and indoorgame to do so, but on the other hand he can pick up the clay points so easily. At the moment I think he'd better up his ranking first.

I didn't know Argentina played DC at home in March and both Coria and Nalbandian are gonna play that, so that takes away my other point of them playing for the home fans.

Chloe le Bopper
02-04-2005, 07:21 PM
Realisticly he can do maybe two quarterfinals in Marseille and Rotterdam, gaining 105 points, while winning either Buenos Aires or the Brasil Open would already get him 175 points. I know Coria is trying to become #1 in the world and he knows he'll have to improve his hardcourt- and indoorgame to do so, but on the other hand he can pick up the clay points so easily. At the moment I think he'd better up his ranking first.

Realistically he's won an indoor title before. It was on carpet, not hardcourt, but still. Yes, the final was a walkover, but he still had to get that far. That seems to be overlooked. I don't see why the quarterfinals would be considered the limit for him.

I don't see why he needs to get his ranking up first. He's top 5 with 4 claycourt tournaments to his name. He might as well improve where he's not doing his greatest early, as opposed to later. He already knows he will go deep in virtually every claycourt tourney that he enters. It would be unreasonable for him to load up on them and then burn out before RG.

jole
02-04-2005, 07:27 PM
:sad:

You know he's gonna win, though.

Carlos lives for these tournaments.

There is much more to life than winning grand slams, in fact Palermo is where it's at!

Chloe le Bopper
02-04-2005, 07:33 PM
Not to mention Umag!

BlackSilver
02-04-2005, 08:11 PM
and Nalbandian are gonna play that, so that takes away my other point of them playing for the home fans.

Nalbandian? Are you sure?

Cervantes
02-04-2005, 08:27 PM
Nalbandian? Are you sure?

It's just what I heard in this thread, maybe I misread. So I'm not sure, sorry.

Realistically he's won an indoor title before. It was on carpet, not hardcourt, but still. Yes, the final was a walkover, but he still had to get that far. That seems to be overlooked. I don't see why the quarterfinals would be considered the limit for him.

I don't see why he needs to get his ranking up first. He's top 5 with 4 claycourt tournaments to his name. He might as well improve where he's not doing his greatest early, as opposed to later. He already knows he will go deep in virtually every claycourt tourney that he enters. It would be unreasonable for him to load up on them and then burn out before RG.

Thanks for correcting my spelling error :) (realistictltytly;lt, whatever :))

He has won an indoor title before and I'm not saying quarters is the highest he can get, but I'm saying two quarters (or one second round and a semi) is what I expect he'll get. And his chance of winning Buenos Aires or Brasil is much higher than winning either Marseille or Rotterdam.

I feel he needs the points at the moment cause his ranking is slipping a bit due to injuries and he's got a lot of points to defend up until Roland Garros. I just think he needs to consolidate his ranking for the moment and then in the summer he can concentrate on climbing again.

I'm just saying he should use his strengths and play/win one or two claycourt events now. In April-May he will probably play only 1-2 non-mandatory claycourt events and then after RG it's off to the States for the hardcourt season (maybe play Stuttgart and Kitzbuhl before that, but that's it). If you're this good on clay you should play a minimum of 5 non-mandatory claycourt events imo.

*Ljubica*
02-04-2005, 08:31 PM
Coria was contracted to play Marseille after he appeared there last year - and at the time he agreed to play, this tournament did not clash with Buenos Aires so he could have managed both - it's the Bs As tourney that has moved it's slot due to changes in the calendar because of the Davis Cup. I'm not a fan of Coria at all, but I do think it's commendable that he's trying to improve his game on other surfaces, and playing hard courts is much better preparation for the US Masters' Series events in March than playing in Bs As.

As for David - well it was a conscious decision taken by him and his coach at the end of last year to concentrate more on the hard, fast courts which he prefers anyway, and to play both Marseille and Rotterdam in preparation for the US Masters' events. He actually played the Copa Argentina exhibition event in December just so the local fans could see him play live (he reached the final there and lost to Gaudio), and both he and Coria are likely to play DC in Buenos Aires in March.

They're also meant to be playing doubles together in Marseille and Rotterdam as a DC preparation, though with Coria's latest injury I think it unlikely this will happen.

Carito_90
02-04-2005, 08:36 PM
They don't wanna get kidnapped? :shrug:

Very funny huh.

I am dissapointed they're not playing here, it would have been nice seeing them play. But I understand their possition, I dont think it's because of the money, they already have enough.
Probably because they have to practise for the upcoming tournaments and I dont know if clay would be the best option taking on count the clay season doesn't start till april or so. So yeah.. I'd say its more because of the improvement and practise they might achieve there than money or whatever.

Chloe le Bopper
02-04-2005, 08:51 PM
Thanks for correcting my spelling error :) (realistictltytly;lt, whatever :))

I didn't mean to correct anything, I didn't even notice an error :D

He has won an indoor title before and I'm not saying quarters is the highest he can get, but I'm saying two quarters (or one second round and a semi) is what I expect he'll get. And his chance of winning Buenos Aires or Brasil is much higher than winning either Marseille or Rotterdam.

Agreed. But his chances of winning indoor titles will increase the more than he plays them. In the long run it benefits him to do it this way than to stick to what is easiest for him.

I feel he needs the points at the moment cause his ranking is slipping a bit due to injuries and he's got a lot of points to defend up until Roland Garros. I just think he needs to consolidate his ranking for the moment and then in the summer he can concentrate on climbing again.

Well, it's not slipping yet. It won't slip until Miami, at which point it will be week in, week out point defense.

I'm just saying he should use his strengths and play/win one or two claycourt events now. In April-May he will probably play only 1-2 non-mandatory claycourt events and then after RG it's off to the States for the hardcourt season (maybe play Stuttgart and Kitzbuhl before that, but that's it). If you're this good on clay you should play a minimum of 5 non-mandatory claycourt events imo.

I think he would be overdoing it if he played that many - although he has in the past. I would be humoured to see how much criticism he got if he played every Mickey Mouse clay tournament, like other people named Carlos Moya... but that's for another thread :p

I prefer that he try to play indoors and what not, for whatever reason. He can keep a high ranking with a few clay court tournaments a year and work on other surfaces. Just my opinion. There is nothing wrong with yours ;)

Cervantes
02-04-2005, 08:53 PM
Coria was contracted to play Marseille after he appeared there last year - and at the time he agreed to play, this tournament did not clash with Buenos Aires so he could have managed both - it's the Bs As tourney that has moved it's slot due to changes in the calendar because of the Davis Cup.

That explains the whole situation, thanks.

As for David - well it was a conscious decision taken by him and his coach at the end of last year to concentrate more on the hard, fast courts which he prefers anyway, and to play both Marseille and Rotterdam in preparation for the US Masters' events. He actually played the Copa Argentina exhibition event in December just so the local fans could see him play live (he reached the final there and lost to Gaudio), and both he and Coria are likely to play DC in Buenos Aires in March.

For David I can see why he plays the European indoor circuit, he's such a good fast court player with real chances of winning either. I'm really glad Krajicek signed him for the ABN Amro tournament and I hope I get to see him in action on Thursday night when I'm going :bounce: