Roddick's Apparel Change Under Scrutiny [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Roddick's Apparel Change Under Scrutiny

JonBcn
02-02-2005, 02:43 PM
From Bob Larson's tennis news:

After the third set of his match with Lleyton Hewitt on Friday, January 28, in Melbourne, Andy Roddick told tournament referee Peter Ballenger he was excusing himself to change his clothes in the locker room and left the court.

He was gone an unusually long time (11 minutes). Referee Ballenger found him in the locker room and exclaimed that he was taking a long time. Roddick responded, “if you tie one shoe for me; it would save time.”

Roddick returned to the court and lost the next set, and the match.

As far as Roddick is concerned, the matter is over. Not so, among the officials of the Australian Open is the matter over. A lengthy review meeting was held following the day’s activities by members of the Australian Open Tournament Committee. It was determined that Roddick’s actions were premeditated.

The committee considers the incident as premeditatedly breaking the rules.

Premeditatedly breaking the rules creates an unfair advantage.

Creating an unfair advantage is called cheating.

Tennis authorities do not allow cheating; Discussions are underway as to the next step. Daily Tennis attempted to reach USTA President Franklin Johnson for his position on the matter, but Johnson was not available.

Personally I doubt if he was doing it on purpose - you'd have to be pretty dumb as you would have to expect the Australian crowd and the umpire to be on your back when you returned, IF you weren't defaulted.

Discuss (unless you have already and I've missed it).

Chloe le Bopper
02-02-2005, 02:52 PM
This all seems rather silly. So he was having a little pout. That doesn't make him a "cheater". Besides, he got his ass kicked upon returning anyways. Talk about making something out of nothing.

Leena
02-02-2005, 02:53 PM
If anyone uses unfair tactics out there, it's Lleyton.

iluvcandy227
02-02-2005, 02:53 PM
how dare they acuse andy of cheating i bet if lleyton did it they wouldnt of said anything

jtipson
02-02-2005, 02:56 PM
Storm in a teacup.

Raquel
02-02-2005, 03:00 PM
If he had won the match after it would be worth looking into why it took him so long to change his shorts and put on new shoes. He played worse on his return so he obviously got no advantage out of keeping Lleyton waiting (if that was his aim). He lost the match though so case closed as far as most people are concerned.

No one needs that amount of time usually though. When players take a break like that it never takes them that long so I don't know what took him so long. I remember a match at the French Open between Mary Pierce and Conchita Martinez and Mary disappeared for about ten minutes and I am sure the umpire gave her penalties until she came back but in this case no one really did anything and maybe that's what should be investigated rather than what Andy's motives were.

Foxy Smile
02-02-2005, 03:04 PM
Poor Andy! Lleyton was very annoying. As well as crowd (especially fanatics!). So he decided to calm down in locker room. That's it :)

Leena
02-02-2005, 03:07 PM
It would be nice if people would realize that Andy is a sensitive, caring man... and to understand that when the crowd treats him like shit, that he needs to cool down.

Foxy Smile
02-02-2005, 03:13 PM
It would be nice if people would realize that Andy is a sensitive, caring man... and to understand that when the crowd treats him like shit, that he needs to cool down.

Amen! :) I'm not his fan, but I feel sorry for him! All in all he had greate expectations for AO 2005.

fangirl
02-02-2005, 03:14 PM

:yeah:

If I were out there playing and the crowd was treating me the way they trated Andy, I would be off having a bit of a sulk in the bathroom as well trying to calm down. Andy is not the first person to be bothered by a crowd and I am willing to bet my mobile phone that he will not be the last.

Raquel
02-02-2005, 03:16 PM
Seriously? I think one guy said something before he served, the rest was just normal patriotic cheering. He wasn't booed and jeered. Compared to the crowd in Spain for the Davis Cup final, it was pretty tame. He'll need to toughen up a bit if that is what sent him off to the locker room.

buzzy
02-02-2005, 03:22 PM
Initially, I thought How stupid is this to make an issue of something that had no impact whatsoever on the outcome of the match. But then I figured, Hey it's another topic that might give tennis some press coverage. And any minor controversy that gets publicity and keeps tennis in the public's eye can't be bad. If this keeps americans paying attention to tennis for a while longer, then good! As a matter of fact, the whole issue is probably some secret plot by the tennis associations to do just that! :lol:

jasmine(usa)
02-02-2005, 03:25 PM
That is completely absurd if they call that cheating,because a lot of players use an injury timeout when they need to regroup and calm down. Andy would never cheat. They should be ashamed of themselves.
A-rod Lleyts Safin :worship: Lovin my Boys :worship: A-rod Lleyts SafinLovin my BoysA-rod Lleyts SafinLovin my Boys

star
02-02-2005, 03:38 PM
I can't really comment because I don't know what the rule is.

Can a player take a break any old time he wants to change his clothes? Are there rules about how long he can take?

I'd just like to see rules applied without resort to speculation about whether an action is premeditated. I have no doubt that many players take bathroom breaks in order to gain an advantage, but if the rules allow it, so be it. I definitely think there should be rules about the length of time a player can take. The clock should be running and if the player goes over time should be called and the devil take the hindmost.

FanOfHewitt
02-02-2005, 03:46 PM
That is completely absurd if they call that cheating,because a lot of players use an injury timeout when they need to regroup and calm down. Andy would never cheat. They should be ashamed of themselves.

If a player takes an injury timeout to regroup and calm down that IS cheating.

I agree what Roddick did was no worse than that.

jmp
02-02-2005, 04:08 PM
star, you make a valid point about examining the rules on this. I feel a lot better when objective standards are applied.

jtipson
02-02-2005, 04:14 PM
From page 19 of the ITF's Grand Slam Rulebook (2004) at http://www.itftennis.com/shared/medialibrary/pdf/original/IO_2564_original.PDF

4. Toilet/Change of Attire Break
A player is allowed to request permission to leave the court for a reasonable
time for a toilet break/change of attire break (women’s events). Toilet breaks
should be taken on a set break and can be used for no other purpose. Change
of attire breaks (women’s events) must be taken on a set break. In women’s
singles events a player is entitled to two (2) breaks during a match. In men’s
singles events a player is entitled to one (1) toilet break during a best of three
(3) set match and two (2) toilet breaks during a best of five (5) set match. In
all doubles matches, each team is entitled to a total of two (2) breaks. If
partners leave the court together, it counts as one of the team’s authorised
breaks. Any time a player leaves the court for a toilet break, it is considered
one of the authorised breaks regardless of whether or not the opponent has
left the court. Any toilet break taken after a warm-up has started is considered
one of the authorised breaks. Additional breaks will be authorised but will be
penalised in accordance with the Point Penalty Schedule if the player is not
ready to play within the allowed time.

========================
Interesting, sounds like only women are allowed change of attire breaks. There doesn't seem to be a specific time limit. There may be additional rules in the ATP rulebook.

Socket
02-02-2005, 04:16 PM
I can't really comment because I don't know what the rule is.

Can a player take a break any old time he wants to change his clothes? Are there rules about how long he can take?

I'd just like to see rules applied without resort to speculation about whether an action is premeditated. I have no doubt that many players take bathroom breaks in order to gain an advantage, but if the rules allow it, so be it. I definitely think there should be rules about the length of time a player can take. The clock should be running and if the player goes over time should be called and the devil take the hindmost.
To leave the court (other than to consult with a doctor), the player has to be charged a toilet break. It doesn't matter whether he uses the toilet or not, or just changes his clothes, if you leave the court, it's charged as a toilet break.

Players are allowed "reasonable time" for a toilet break. The problem that Roddick had was that Peter Bellenger thought that he had used more than "reasonable time", so he went into the locker room to see what was happening. That was when he saw Andy with his shoes and socks off, and they apparently had an altercation of some sort, with Andy making some comment to Bellenger about him (Bellenger) helping Andy put his shoes on (see Andy's post-match interview).

So what's apparently being considered is the length of the toilet break. I don't know whether I'd call that cheating, but it might be found that Roddick violated a rule by staying in the locker room an unreasonably long period of time. He might get a fine for that, who knows.

As for trainer/injury timeouts, as long as the player gets back on the court within the alloted timeout period, what you do during the 3 minutes is between you and the trainer. Most players won't admit it, but as long as the timeout is between games, they're probably grateful that they get a chance to catch their breath while the other guy is being treated.

PaulieM
02-02-2005, 04:48 PM
the crowd was fine, Andy was just upset that he was losing and wanted a break to regroup. but i must say, it was quite a long break, and he shouldn't have gotten pissy with Bellenger.

if it had been lleyton taking the break, and andy waiting out there on court, a set away from a win, i can only imagine what his reaction would have been... hmm
everyone should just play nice, and not do anything you wouldn't want your opponent to do. :)

TheBoiledEgg
02-02-2005, 05:24 PM
If he said he was having a "shit" it would have been fine messy :lol:

Pea
02-02-2005, 05:41 PM
He did look relieved when he came out.:haha:

SLICK
02-02-2005, 07:25 PM
Poor Andy. What a load of fuss about nothing. Perhaps he should have been specific and said " hey umpire, i'm just going to the restroom to take a dump. May take awhile so give me a little extra time." That way the ref would have waited an extra few minutes before hassling him. Lleyton did not seem that bothered, so what's the big deal anyway. Yawn.

euroka1
02-02-2005, 07:57 PM
if it had been lleyton taking the break, and andy waiting out there on court, a set away from a win, i can only imagine what his reaction would have been... hmm
everyone should just play nice, and not do anything you wouldn't want your opponent to do. :)

It was a bad move.

Hewitt looked pretty irritated and the crowd sounded that way. yes, one wishes there was more sportsmanship out there.

Iheartandy&roger
02-02-2005, 10:14 PM
Who cares this is a done deal and Lleyton won didn't he? it wasn't like Andy all of a sudden got superpowers and became superman out there like I said anyways it's all done and over with so ......next!

iluvcandy227
02-02-2005, 10:26 PM
Who cares this is a done deal and Lleyton won didn't he? it wasn't like Andy all of a sudden got superpowers and became superman out there like I said anyways it's all done and over with so ......next!

i know but people just like to start drama over nothin

hablovah19
02-02-2005, 11:03 PM
Storm in a teacup.

:haha: :haha:

I didn't know that this french expression existed in English!!

Chloe le Bopper
02-02-2005, 11:06 PM
If a player takes an injury timeout to regroup and calm down that IS cheating.

No, it's only cheating when Coria does it. When everybody else does it it's legit :)

mitalidas
02-02-2005, 11:07 PM

I didn't know that this french expression existed in English!!

the french copied it
sort of like "Le Big Mac"

mitalidas
02-02-2005, 11:09 PM
i dont think they're so much pissed off that he took an additional minute

I think they're pissed off that a respected guy like Peter was told to "tie the other shoe" when all Peter was doing was reminding andy of the rules

I think andy can be extremely rude, and we've seen it in his behavior with umpires and referees and now with a respected guy like Peter. Not that andy's the only one of course, lleyton is another one, grudeski another --someone should send them to tennis finishing school

tripthemighty
02-02-2005, 11:25 PM
i think this is another example of how vague the "official rules" can be. without a set time period for toilet breaks, it's the ref's word v roddick's. whether or not it was "too much time" is sort of a relative term. if the ref wasn't in there the entire time, there's no way to know what all roddick did.

i agree with Socket though. the only course of action would be a fine for an extensive toilet break. and if that's what happened, it's roddick's fault for angering the ref by making stupid remarks. even if he was frustrated.

star
02-03-2005, 12:09 AM
I think there should be time limits. If there are time limits for injury treatment, there should be time limits for toilet/whatever breaks.

euroka1
02-03-2005, 12:12 AM
I think andy can be extremely rude, and we've seen it in his behavior with umpires and referees and now with a respected guy like Peter. Not that andy's the only one of course, lleyton is another one, grudeski another --someone should send them to tennis finishing school

I go along with that completely

tennis4you
02-03-2005, 12:19 AM
Maybe he had crapped his pants and he needed extra time to clean up.

tenfan47
02-03-2005, 12:21 AM
When you say you have to change your clothes----Isn't that just code for I have to go to the restroom----which may take some time-----10 minutes easily

T-T
02-03-2005, 12:24 AM
Whatever it was he was doing in there, it was cheating. Nobody needs 10 minutes to change a pair of socks and a shirt.

It's premeditated because he took his socks out of his bag before the umpire and left. Why did he do that? Surely clothes are usually kept in the locker room?

jmp
02-03-2005, 01:57 AM
Originally posted by star
I think there should be time limits. If there are time limits for injury treatment, there should be time limits for toilet/whatever breaks.
Exactly, star. It should be something like travel time to the locker room plus X minutes. That way everybody can adhere to the same rules.

Scotso
02-03-2005, 01:58 AM
I agree with T-T.

Even is cheating is a strong word, I think we can all agree he took way too much time. He was just sitting their pouting and we all know it. He should be fined.

It's not like a few thousand dollars would mean much to him anyway.

martinaHforever
02-03-2005, 02:14 AM
Man, this is a joke! The Australian Open is giving itself a bad name despite an outstanding two weeks of tennis. The only lowpoint of this tournament was not Andy Roddick but rather Hewitt.

Becarina
02-03-2005, 02:17 AM
I agree with T-T.

Even is cheating is a strong word, I think we can all agree he took way too much time. He was just sitting their pouting and we all know it. He should be fined.

It's not like a few thousand dollars would mean much to him anyway.

If they do not set a time limit then how can they merit putting a fine on him? Wouldn't make sense unless they had a set time. So, it is really a mute point and is just an issue for publicity. IMO that is

Action Jackson
02-03-2005, 02:35 AM
He tried to stretch the rules and use gamesmanship to throw off the opponent, and it didn't work for him. In fact it made Hewitt focus more than before.

No doubt he could have changed his shirt, put on a new pair of shoes and socks on court as well and got that done within the time limit.

As for the crowd being unfair that's a laugh. He is lucky he wasn't playing in Italy, Brazil and he survived playing in Spain .

Leena
02-03-2005, 02:54 AM
Hewitt tries to stretch the rules and use gamesmanship to throw off the opponent, by screaming like a jackass and being obnoxious.

Andy didn't deal with it well.

He's not perfect.

marilag
02-03-2005, 03:00 AM
It was Andy getting in Mr. Bellanger's face that made them think he was flouting authority and deliberately holding up the game.

Action Jackson
02-03-2005, 03:09 AM
It was Andy getting in Mr. Bellanger's face that made them think he was flouting authority and deliberately holding up the game.

In a way it doesn't matter it just gives more of an excuse to laugh at him. Yes, he tried to get away with something and the end result was a fair conclusion.

Leena
02-03-2005, 03:10 AM
Yawn.

tennischick
02-03-2005, 03:11 AM
if the action was premeditated (and therefore considered cheating), what the heck did they think he was trying to accomplish? he came back out and LOST 1-6. so what did the premeditation accomplish exactly?

actually this reminds me of when Hingis lost to Steffi at RG '99 and coped by going to the bathroom and hiding out there, refusing to come back out for the awards ceremony. in that moment she reminded the world that she was just a 16+ year old kid. in the same way, by running and hiding in the men's bathroom the Duck reminded us all that as arrogant, obnoxious and loathsome as he can be, at heart he's just a big baby.

on the one hand i don't think they should fine him -- because the consequences of his actions did not hurt anyone other than himself. but on the other hand he can't get away with it bec doing so will set an unfair precedent and other players may feel that they can run and hide whenever the going gets tough.

Becarina
02-03-2005, 03:11 AM

maybe he really needed help putting in his shoes... :devil:

Action Jackson
02-03-2005, 03:12 AM
maybe he really needed help putting in his shoes... :devil:

:)

Leena
02-03-2005, 03:12 AM
by running and hiding in the men's bathroom the Duck reminded us all that as arrogant, obnoxious and loathsome as he can be, at heart he's just a big baby.

I'm amazed how you know Andy so well on such a personal level. :rolleyes:

Willow
02-03-2005, 03:20 AM
It often takes me more than 11 minutes to get dressed, usually I put one sock on and then spend half an hour staring vacantly into space before I do the other.

Leena
02-03-2005, 03:23 AM
It takes me 5 minutes to put my sneakers on, because Mimi loves playing with the laces.

tennischick
02-03-2005, 03:27 AM
It often takes me more than 11 minutes to get dressed, usually I put one sock on and then spend half an hour staring vacantly into space before I do the other.
:lol: :lol:

jmp
02-03-2005, 03:47 AM
Originally posted by Willow

FanOfHewitt
02-03-2005, 04:30 AM
No, it's only cheating when Coria does it. When everybody else does it it's legit :)

lol, true, especially when he does it to break his own momentum.

Jackie
02-03-2005, 04:32 AM
LMAO at Willow. I do that too

JeLuliA88
02-03-2005, 05:01 AM
Big deal... so andy took a little long in the change rooms, that doesn't make him a cheater. in the end it didn't really matter, he still lost. so there's nothing to complain about.

Tennis Fool
02-03-2005, 05:02 AM
I remember the time at the 1998 IW finals between Hingis and Kournikova, where K was trying to get a bathroom break to recoup (it was so obvious). The ump said "NO". Maybe if she'd gotten it, her career would have made a different turn :lol:

jmp
02-03-2005, 05:11 AM
Tennis Fool! :devil: ;)

Jackie
02-03-2005, 07:16 AM
It has been pointed out that there is no ruling on how much time Andy could have taken, so I don't have a problem with what he did...it's actually quite amusing that the tournament referee was sent in there to get him out [and this is coming from a Hewitt fan]...however I do think the ATP/ITF need to make a ruling on the amount of toilet time a player can take so this doesn't happen again

Jackie
02-03-2005, 07:18 AM
I remember the time at the 1998 IW finals between Hingis and Kournikova, where K was trying to get a bathroom break to recoup (it was so obvious). The ump said "NO". Maybe if she'd gotten it, her career would have made a different turn :lol:

Under what circumstances can an umpire refuse a bathroom break?

Action Jackson
02-03-2005, 07:34 AM
Well I remember during this one match Rios had to go to toilet, but it was too far from the court, so he just urinated in these plants and saved himself half the time. The linesman was a bit of straight guy, but Rios told him not to worry about it.

renee_chin
02-03-2005, 08:12 AM
The bottom line is that, he's playing BY THE RULES! End of story...... :)

Mrs. B
02-03-2005, 09:07 AM
Well I remember during this one match Rios had to go to toilet, but it was too far from the court, so he just urinated in these plants and saved himself half the time. The linesman was a bit of straight guy, but Rios told him not to worry about it.

:haha:

Peta Pan
02-03-2005, 09:29 AM
:haha: I'm so glad I'm not the only one... it often makes me late for work in the morning!!
--------------------

I'm actually so tempted to ask Mr Bellenger's mum about this incident next time she comes through my register at work - she's one of my favourite and nicest customers. I'll probably chicken out though lol

Action Jackson
02-03-2005, 09:41 AM
:haha: I'm so glad I'm not the only one... it often makes me late for work in the morning!!
--------------------

I'm actually so tempted to ask Mr Bellenger's mum about this incident next time she comes through my register at work - she's one of my favourite and nicest customers. I'll probably chicken out though lol

You know where to find me Peta and you have to ask the tough questions.

Angle Queen
02-03-2005, 01:02 PM
I'm still trying to figure out...why he had to go into the locker/rest room to "change." Guys change their shirt on-court all the time -- it's a side benefit of watching a mens match. :cool: And the sock and shoes thing, definitely could be done courtside.

So that leaves only two possibilities: it was a nature call...or a nerves call. I can't remember the last time I had to actually "go" during a match...it's usually the pre-match jitters that get me squirmin'... but I'll admit...one time, at Districts, on a 95+ degree day...I asked for a bathroom break...just to get inside...in the A/C. I did, ah, use the facility for its intended purpose...but I still felt a bit guilty. :angel: While my body benefitted...my game didn't. I flamed out in the final set like Andy. 1-6.

No matter his motivation, I seriously doubt he had malious intent. I think mitalidas and marilage are on spot:
I think they're pissed off that a respected guy like Peter was told to "tie the other shoe" when all Peter was doing was reminding andy of the rulesIt was Andy getting in Mr. Bellanger's face that made them think he was flouting authority and deliberately holding up the game.

Chloe le Bopper
02-03-2005, 01:18 PM
lol, true, especially when he does it to break his own momentum.
And especially when he follows it up by taking a month or 6 off tour!

T-T
02-03-2005, 02:02 PM
if the action was premeditated (and therefore considered cheating), what the heck did they think he was trying to accomplish? he came back out and LOST 1-6. so what did the premeditation accomplish exactly?

It's not because an action failed that it wasn't premeditated.

T-T
02-03-2005, 02:04 PM
So that leaves only two possibilities: it was a nature call...or a nerves call.

Or a pep call...

Angle Queen
02-03-2005, 02:17 PM
Or a pep call...I stand corrected. LOL! Either, neither...it didn't work.

AQ

star
02-03-2005, 02:33 PM
Under what circumstances can an umpire refuse a bathroom break?

There is no provision for refusal of a BB. That was all gone over in great detail after that umpire refused to allow Anna to take a break.

liptea
02-03-2005, 02:38 PM
He'll need to toughen up a bit if that is what sent him off to the locker room.

Very true.

If he's really going to be a contender for the top spots, he really needs to keep all his baggage off the court. But I can't help feeling really sorry for Andy-he gets upset during a match, tries to calm down with no help from a partisan crowd and then has Hewitt thrash him. :sad:

Winston's Human
02-03-2005, 03:46 PM
If there is no specific time rule on a toilet break, then this seems much ado about nothing.

I heard somewhere else that it took three minutes to walk to the locker room. Given that, it does not seem that 11 minutes is a long time to go to the lockerroom, use the bathroom, change clothes and return to court.

tennischick
02-03-2005, 04:21 PM
It's not because an action failed that it wasn't premeditated.
intelligent response. you are absolutely correct. in that case i think he should drawn and quartered at least. ;)

alfonsojose
02-03-2005, 05:33 PM
Ok, Ok. It's not his fault. :o Rainer was gone and it was so lonely at Melbourne ... but i thought he was stonger :shrug: . I left him .. er .. empty :angel: :devil:

Leena
02-03-2005, 05:56 PM
You weren't funny the 1st time you started these "dirty" jokes, and you're still not after the 12423423th consecutive one.

niko
02-03-2005, 06:00 PM
Sometimes it takes up to twenty minutes to take a shit, so shit happens. :)

alfonsojose
02-03-2005, 06:07 PM
Sometimes it takes up to twenty minutes to take a shit, so shit happens. :)
What do u eat. Tennis raquects :eek:

Rogiman
02-03-2005, 06:17 PM
You weren't funny the 1st time you started these "dirty" jokes, and you're still not after the 12423423th consecutive one.

Most of the people here find him funny.
Most of them would take his posts over yours on any given moment.

boliviana
02-03-2005, 06:41 PM
Very true.

If he's really going to be a contender for the top spots, he really needs to keep all his baggage off the court. But I can't help feeling really sorry for Andy-he gets upset during a match, tries to calm down with no help from a partisan crowd and then has Hewitt thrash him. :sad:

Oh spare me. He makes a shit-load (pardon the pun) of money. He needs to grow-up plain and simple. You feel sorry for him . . . no way does he deserve sympathy. I am sorry he had a bad day at the office but what he did was wrong. And the AO officials need to build some bathrooms closer to the courts.

Tennis Fool
02-03-2005, 06:55 PM
:eek:

Must have been a challenger :o

Billy Moonshine
02-03-2005, 07:26 PM
I think that Andy has every right to use the time outs and he probably did want to change his clothes. And maybe he had something wrong with him too, but isn't making a big deal out of it. And then the guy comes in and harrasses him and Andy makes a smart comment, and as authoritarians are prone to do, they get their egos hurt and want to punish him. Cos this is the biggest load of crap I've ever read. Andy wasn't cheating, he was having a break. I hate all this crap that's going on in tennis with all the bathroom breaks and injury time outs, everyone does it though, and if Andy gets singled out, that is just plain unfair. How is it premeditated? What, he thought the night before, if I'm losing I'm gonna take 11 minutes out and go and sulk in the locker room?

sierra91
02-03-2005, 09:18 PM
http://www.tiffman.com/charlotte/images/20041030/dvc01782_400_tb.jpg

jmp
02-03-2005, 09:34 PM

Awwww :)

tennischick - drawn and quartered :lol:

blosson
02-03-2005, 10:20 PM
As i was in the bathroom myself, I did not see what exactly happened. Did Andy at least bring all his dirty clothes back to the court and put them inside his bag or did he leave the smellies in the toilet ?

Action Jackson
02-04-2005, 02:22 AM
:eek:

Must have been a challenger :o

I don't think the Australian Open in modern times would like to be refered to as a challenger. :)

tennischick
02-04-2005, 02:24 AM
:kiss: :kiss: word!

Jackie
02-04-2005, 03:09 AM
There is no provision for refusal of a BB. That was all gone over in great detail after that umpire refused to allow Anna to take a break.

Sorry, I missed what happened after that match. Can you fill me in?

Raquel
02-04-2005, 03:45 PM
Sorry, I missed what happened after that match. Can you fill me in?
I think it was the match between Anna Kournikova and Jana Novotna at the French Open one year. It was played quite late in the evening and was getting dark and Anna asked for a toilet break but the tournament referee wouldn't let her. Anna ended up crying I think but from what I can remember she was within her rights. Since when can a tournament referee decide whether he thinks it's tactical or not before deciding to let a player leave the court?

hablovah19
02-04-2005, 04:34 PM
the french copied it
sort of like "Le Big Mac"

Sure they did ;)

Chloe le Bopper
02-04-2005, 04:56 PM
:haha:

Action Jackson
02-04-2005, 05:05 PM

:)

Pea
02-05-2005, 12:35 AM

Is the umpire the person holding his hand?

Leena
02-05-2005, 12:41 AM
Many people here stand you.
Many people here are idiots.

Every post of his is the same shit. He can post that all he wants in NT, with his moronic friends who find that humorous. Not here.

RodLo
02-05-2005, 12:51 AM
Many people here stand you.
Many people here are idiots.

Every post of his is the same shit. He can post that all he wants in NT, with his moronic friends who find that humorous. Not here.

Well I hate to break the bad news to you, but not many people here find you to be very funny either.

Leena
02-05-2005, 01:06 AM
n00b pathetically trying to make a name for herself.

-50 cool points.

RodLo
02-05-2005, 01:12 AM
n00b pathetically trying to make a name for herself.

-50 cool points.

Riiiiiiight....... :rolleyes:

tennischick
02-05-2005, 01:24 AM